Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Getting a server for Blue Moon (Read and Comment please)

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
I am getting the impression that this is becoming a serious problem. There are a few options we can do to mitigate the situation.

1) Remove the AJAX Chat. I'm sure that's a popular idea >_> It is the largest load on the site, regardless.
2) Lower the PM limits further. This is somewhat less of a pain and only really affects users using the private messaging system specifically, though it does lock a process when using it. Ultimately a temporary patch at best.
3) Convert the forum to a more scalable software (like SMF). This is at best a temporary fix but lets me offload the search to Sphinx properly, for example. SMF's themes are in general not the best and 2.0 is still in the RC stage.
4) Get an actual new server for Blue Moon - either by basically funding a new one for Elliquiy and taking Elliquiy's, or simply getting a cheaper one. This would be a couple to several hundred dollars down depending on the server -plus- an additional $40-$80 a month or so.

Ultimately, what happens once a site becomes active enough is that we need to flush to disk fairly often - but since this is a VPS, we share half a dozen hard drives with two dozen other people. This does not work in our favor for very long. We need to move, but I'm not in a position where I can just drop several hundred for a shiny new box, I'm afraid.

So, commentary about how to progress is welcome.

If you want to donate, PM me. If I can get enough subscriptions to cover the monthly cost of the server and donations for the setup, I will make the move.

If there was some way I could just send a monthly fee through Paypal, I would.

On the otherhand, removing AJAX would be best. But I have yet to notice any big slow downs with Bluemoon yet.

Personally Bluemoon hasn't been that slow for me. Not even the chat, but a new server does sound like a good idea!
I'm not sure how soon it is needed, maybe a few months we might really, really need a new one. So it is probably a good idea to start getting money together now. -nod-

What about dedicating a cheap server to just the chat? That would take the greatest strain from the server and migrate it to something else. I don't know how much strain it puts, but having a whole computer (limited though it may be) dedicated to it should alleviate the problem nicely. If built right and with minimal specs the server wouldn't have to be very big or anything, you could probably build it for around $300-400 unless I miss my guess, but that would be through ordering the parts and building it yourself. The biggest problem would still be the monthly additional fee, I suppose.

Honestly? The chat is probably the best thing to get rid of at this point. I've never used it, and on the rare occasion I check it out, hardly anyone is using it. If the chat is what's taking up the most room, why not do something more manageable, like putting a chatbox in on the front page?

Or are my computer smarts faulty? Because I really don't know much about what I just said, but it seems like a chatbox wouldn't put nearly as much strain on this place as the AJAX chat is now. But that's just me.

I'm all in favor of moving to a new server if we need to, but anything that requires money for us to do shouldn't be taken lightly. As previously observed, we're not a group of people with a lot of money to shell out, so we should look for the most cost effective plan first.

Take out the AJAX thing. It's silly. If you want really want to talk with someone, download the same messengers and open a group chat.

I would say remover Ajax chat if it is the least thing used. SMF wouldn't be a bad idea, yes the themes are the best, but there are more themes then the basic ones out there, but ultimately is new server. I would be paying some sort of VIP subscription, I may be new but plan to stay.

Vekseid said:
1) Remove the AJAX Chat. I'm sure that's a popular idea >_> It is the largest load on the site, regardless.
For chat, there is one idea that i can propose short of doing a Steam chat page.
There's a firefox app (i think it's a app...) called Chatzilla. may want to look into it.

My vote is to trash the chat. It's the cheapest, most effective option there is, and from what i've seen, most people don't use it.

The normal chat is much just right there when you go to a page, and allows you to keep on keepin on with whatever your posting/looking at.

Neurok_Shinobi said:
My vote is to trash the chat. It's the cheapest, most effective option there is, and from what i've seen, most people don't use it.

The normal chat is much just right there when you go to a page, and allows you to keep on keepin on with whatever your posting/looking at.
The normal chat IS the AJAX chat, it's just that you can pull it up on the main page, and on a separate page.

I absolutely adore the chat, and I love talking to new people on it. I wouldn't even know any new members if it weren't for the chat. I haven't noticed things slowing up very much, it's been reduced significantly. I would rather have some temporary stops than no chat at all. I find it my favourite feature and I use it the most.

I agree with goaty.
Trashing the chat is a bad, bad idea.

It helps new members meet people and I have seen it used almost constantly, there are down times, but it gets its share of use.

My activity here has already been cut to less than half of what it used to be, the chat is all I ever use any more. My statement might not hold much weight at this point, but if the chat goes, then I say goodbye to Blue Moon.

The chat is NOT going. Absolute veto on that. We are not pursuing alternate options of chatting or other programs. Having it on every page does wonderful things for the community, in my eyes.

My vote would be to transfer the forum to SMF. I've been in favor of this since Vek first floated it shortly after BMR 3.0 was originally made and he got a good feel for the inefficiencies of phpBB. (Plus, apparently there's many nifty user tracking tools! Eee~!) But it's like MP3. Not the best, but standard and popular. People wanted to keep it then.

There would be adjustments, and I'd want to confer with all staff at length about a theme decision - If anyone onsite has any experience with SMF themes, please speak up now. Custom WOULD be ideal. Some SMF themes I've seen have not impressed me when it come to usability.

Temporary solution as it may be, we have had an upspike of supporters in the last few months - Every little bit helps, ja? Maybe some time is all we really need to hit critical mass. But that takes more involvement from everyone (And I'm ESPECIALLY not exempt from this).

I'm all for options one, two and maybe four. If the chat puts such a strain on the server and few people use it, then getting rid of it is logical.

As for personal messages 700 is just so many. Why not go dow to 200? Also if you reply with quote and then remove the quote tags you can put a big chunk of one rp in a single post since one post can hold 65535 characters. That way you wouldn't have to have many PMs in your inbox for one rp and you can still read back. If one part is done because the post is full you can save it and start part 2 and once the rp dies delete it.

As for a new server. I'd say hold that off for a little while. With no AJAX chat and a lower PM limit the server should at least for the time being work fine. Of course if you can find one that's just as good but cheaper I'd say go for it.

Considering how much I have enjoyed the site, if I was not completely fucking broke I would be happy to donate to it!

It would probably be best to take temporary fixes for now, and then see how things go. :x It would be a serious shame if the chat goes: it's a great way to get to know people.

A lower PM count would definately be a good patch until a decision is made about switching to SMF.

Honestly getting rid of chat would all but cut my activity to just logging on maybe once a day to welcome newbies and answer posts. Just because a few people here have posted they do not use it, does not mean people don't. Peak hours seem to be later afternoons and evenings, so if you're saying it's empty all the time try again during those times.

I upped the maximum number of processes, so, for now, the only people who should bitch regarding pms causing slowness are the mass pmers >_> It could be cut down to 250 or so.

Converting to SMF would also let me bring the ons and offs program over from Elliquiy, also. Would hate to convert before RC3 is released, though.

I do remember my personal opinion of switching over to SMF.

I think I remember saying this about a year ago too.

sometimes I actually know what I'm talking about.

Vekseid said:
I am getting the impression that this is becoming a serious problem. There are a few options we can do to mitigate the situation.

Eliminating existing services without pursuing alternatives is always unwise.

There are plenty of good alternatives like tinychat and stickam. Maybe even start a NING community or something.

I wrote that with a bit of sarcasm. If anything I would like to make it more prominent >_>

Possibly after an SMF conversion.

Back
Top Bottom