Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(karthanian x vampire07)

karthanian

Super-Earth
Sitting on the ground, his legs crossed, eyes closed, brow frowning slightly in frustration, Alex was concentrating on the pile of wood in front of him. As the wind blew his short jet black hair he breathed deeply, slowly letting out his breath, a small like of flame appeared in the centre of the wood pile before him, slowly spreading to engulf the wood and burn on its own. A grin began to appear on the male's face as he opened his eyes, the light reflecting in his his pupil, surrounded by the grey iris giving him a rather chilling look.

Pulling the cloak closer to himself as he huddled to the warmth of the flame, Alex sighed. He had been travelling for days now before he finally reached this woodland. Days of travel surviving off his own instincts and talents. Well talents was a very light word to be used to be talking about what Alex could do.

Magic wasn't as well known as most people were lead to believe, and someone who could fully use these powers were rarer still. Sure you found things such as hedge-witches and petty acts of 'magic' to impress the folks in the cities, but half the times these people were charlatans, trying to make money with whatever trickery they could. Real magic was more primal, more real then a few sleight-of-hand tricks.

Shivering slightly, Alex placed the meat from the rabbits he had caught, killed and skinned into the flames, hoping the meager meal would sustain him until he managed to get to where he had been trying to reach.

Nearby was a modest little hut and there was open land around it but towards the back was the forest which lied guarded for centuries by the same family. When night had hit a young white haired woman was walking within the forest. She loved to come out at night to see the rare night creatures hunting or just being social. Aiko wore a black cloak to hide her form as she noticed a fox sitting in the path she usually took. Curious as she tilted ehr head only to see her dart off then look back at her.

"Want me to follow?" Aiko said softly as the fox walked further with Aiko following the small red fox. Normally the normal creatures came to her to guide her to lost travlers since they felt safe within the dark woods. In the distance Aiko could see a small fire just being started. She felt uneasy as she quicken her pace only to reach the bushes to see the young man eatting regular rabbits. Aiko smiled as she turned to leave but the fox darted out into the open sniffing at the cooking rabbits that Alex had.

The sudden appearance of the animal shocked Alex slightly. Instinctively he prepared a crude blast of air to hurt whatever managed to sneak up to him, but when his brain caught up to his primal instinct he immediately snuffed out the gathered power in his hand. Sure he only had a little food to share but it was the wildlife around him that sustained him, as far as he knew he had stolen this foxes food to feed himself. "Well little guy, seeming as this was probably yours, let's share it."

Reaching into the fire, before first making sure he had created a protective layer to stop the fire burning his skin. "Well it looks like it is pretty cooked by now." Throwing a bit of the rabbit over to the fox he smiled to it, eating the rest himself slowly. "Well at least I have someone to talk to don't I?"

The fox edged closer sniffing the meat he offered then snatched it and took into the bushes. When Aiko saw Alex giving the meat to the fox she ventured out into the open.

"Well you do now." She said with a smile at him but she lowered her hood to reveal her sharp blue eyes and her snow white hair. "I see you're traveling and to where?" She asked since it was her job to look over everything.

"Aiko!" A small boy called out for his big sister. Aiko looked over her shoulder to see a small boy stumbling out of the bushes with a young painted centuar boy following. Aiko rolled her eyes as the small red haired boy was her brother, Jason and the centuar was Jiro. Shortly the fox Alex feed earlier popped back out to Aiko's side with her ears perked up.

Jumping once more as he heard someone talking, another blast of power prepared in his hand. She smiled at him and instantly Alex extinguished his powers. There was no way such a girl would be able to harm him, and why else would she announce her presence if she planned any kind of harm towards him at all.

Before a word could burst forth from his mouth, a small child appeared. Presumably some relative of hers, though the company he also bought with him was something completely different and unknown to him.

"Um... Hi..." Alex announced glancing curiously to those around him. They were definitely a strange group but how far did Alex trust them. "I am just travelling." Alex announced to them, not wanting to reveal too much to people he didn't know. "Kind of like a way of searching who I really am." Which in truth Alex was quite proud of saying, not having to directly lie too much about what he planned to do.

Jason noticed Alex and Jiro dashed behind Aiko with Jason running to her side. Aiko wrapped her cloak around her little brother letting Axel see the twin silver swords she kept on her at all times. She listened to him as she felt tiny hands holding on to her as if they trusted her to protect them. Aiko sighed as she hid her brother under the cloak.

"I would be grateful if you ate then left this area as soon as possible." She said in a calming voice as the fox froze and yipped a few times then took off. The fox was her own alert system but Aiko looked to the shadows noticing something was off.

"Jiro, take Jason home and stay there until your mother comes by." She looked to the Centuar as he nodded and Jason ran after Jiro. Aiko looked at Alex wondering if he was searching for the underground temple the cloaked the creatures from being found.

(Mind if she has a Earth element? You know growth of plants and I'll keep it simple.)

Watching how the newcomers seemed so suspicious of him, Alex became a bit more nervous. What did these people have to make them so suspicious of him? Alex wasn't even carrying any weapons on him, why would he be such a threat to them? Maybe in the end it was just the fact he was a stranger, not just a stranger but also a weaponless stranger in such an area probably made them wonder a bit.

"Okay, I'm sorry if I have interrupted anything. All I ask is that I make camp here tonight and then I will leave as soon as the sun rises..." Alex explained, wanting just to be able to rest for the night as well as regain the powers he had used in the day, something that everyone with his powers would try to do.

(Yeah that's fine!)

Aiko shook her head thinking she was going to threaten him. "I have a place nearby you can stay at for the night." She explained as there was a pair of golden amber eyes glaring at Alex seeing him as a tresspasser. She didn't look at Alex as she moved forward.

"The reason I ask you to move on or offer a place to stay is because this forest is an area where only rare creatures can live without being hunted.....Right now you're being targetted." She warned him as the bushes were breaking with a pack of large bulky werewolves were emerging. The smell of fresh blood had stirred their need for blood.

Aiko watched as a lowly werewolf jumped at Alex from behind but vines sprouted up from the ground and tangled the struggling werewolf. Aiko looked over at Alex as using this power was draining her strength. "Run..." She told him one last time before the leader of the pack tackled her to the ground sinking his teeth into her shoulder making her yell out in pain.

As the woman stepped forward, Alex cringed at the feeling of hatred emanating from somewhere behind him. The feeling was so strong he could feel it right into his soul. Something wanted him dead and Alex knew it.

Before his instincts could even kick in the fight had started in earnest. Power was surging through his body, he could feel it radiating from his body. Why were these creatures suddenly attacking them, what had they done wrong, all she had done was try to help him. Without thinking he released a blast of air towards the leader, pushing him far back into the forest before the creature hit a tree, falling to the floor stunned. Calling power back into his hands, a whirlwind of air circling his body as he focused on the creatures around him waiting for what may happen next.

Aiko laid there with blood pouring from her shoulder. She witnessed Alex's power and she watched the werewolves back down but when once stepped forward the grass blades turned into vines snapping at their faces making them take off from them. With silence hitting the area Aiko held her shoulder as she got to her feet, swaying slightly.

Her eyes fell on to Alex hoping he saw the reason she wanted him out of here.

"Now do you see or do you still want to sleep here in the middle of a forest where werewolves, nagas, werecats and many more creatures who wouldn't think twice about attacking a human?" She said with a worried tone. Though she winced as pain shot through her shoulder and down her back. Gritting her teeth as the bleeding stopped and thankfully the DNA from the werewolve's saliva won't turn her since she was bitten within the forest. It was a guardians safety trait.

"Okay I get your point..." Alex told her, smiling despite knowing how bad the wound looked. "If you could show me the way I'd be more than happy to help you get there." He smiled politely knowing that this probably wasn't the best position for any of them to be in.

Pushing back with what little power he had saved up, Alex helped the woman up, hoping she would be able to get them back to the house before he could do anything to help her. "Okay just point me in the direction and I'll look after us both, then we can see abut doing something about the wound you have there."

Aiko stood up to his side as he supported her. She pointed north as she saw the fox from earlier turning in cirlces within the bushes. Smiling as she looked at Alex.

"Follow the fox. She never lead me astray." She said with a soft laugh as the wound wasn't going to get her down. Walking ahead of him as she have vines put the fire out before she left the clearing. The trees swayed to the wind as she took the cloak off having ir drape over her hurt shoulder. Unlike the other women in this era she was wearing tanned pants and a black tunic.

It didn't take them long to get in view of her home where there was two males centuars and a female with the same painted youngling standing outside. Aiko looked over at Alex grateful he followed. "I got a free room and stew cooking...I am hoping Jason didn't let it burn when he came into the forest."

(sry brb bath)

The walk was shorter than he thought it would be, and true to her word the fox did lead them back to the house safely. For whatever reason they were left alone on their way back to the house, maybe the woman had used more of her earth magic, but Alex was unsure, all that matters was that they arrived safely and the promise of food was introduced.

"Thank you for the offer, but I don't want to just take it from you..." Alex smiled softly to her, feeling that they were at least being slightly more civil to him now, not as distrusting as they seemed before. "I can heal you slightly, but I can't promise you won't be tired afterwards or need some rest to keep your strength up..."

In fact Alex could probably heal her completely, even every little virus in her body, she wouldn't even have a cold virus left in her body, but that was first a waste of energy for Alex, and secondly would make her more susceptible to a worse illness.

Playfully she thumped him in his shoulder when he was being poliet about refusing the stew. The centuars looked over at them as the males buffed their chests out when Jiro hid behind his mother. Jason, her little brother looked out the window with a worried look on his young 10 year old face.

Aiko smiled at him. "My brother needs practice on handling wounds since he will be taking my plae later on." She informed him but she didn't mean to make it sound like Jason will be in her place when she dies just when she moves on with her life by making her own family. "Besides we have plenty of food since our parents are in the village miles away for trading."

She beckoned him inside the modest home of theirs with Jason standing still unsure of what to do. The male Centuars were watching Alex carefully out of habit but the female gave Aiko herbs to fight off any infection she may get when Jason messes up. Thanking the three as she watched them gallop off into the forest and she shut the door thinking Alex had questions. So she decided to question abit with innocent questions. "By the look on your face I'm guessing you never encountered Centuars before. I noticed the look when the small centuar that's black and white appeared with my brother."

The hit on his shoulder was a bare touch but Alex was unsure of how to exactly take it. He wasn't used to people just accepting him so quickly, after a quick display of his powers most people seem afraid of him, unsure of what his power was and how he could control them.

"Well I was kind of wondering about the whole horse-person thing..." Alex realised that the Centuars were still there and he may have offended them. "Um... no offense... Centuars was it?" He tried to smile at them, but the whole idea still kind of weird to him. "And those wolf like things were unseen by me before as well." In fact the whole experience in the forest was a bit unexpected. "I'm sorry if I caused any trouble."

Aiko stood there as she listened to him apologize to the centuars before they gallopped off. Shutting the door as she handed the herbs to her little brother and she sat down at the table opening the neck up abit and pushed the left part down to reveal the large bite to her brother. The little boy didn't look phased by it but went to work on mixing the herbs with water and applying it. While her brother worked she thought on how to word her position and the creatures.

"Have you heard of mythical creatures? Such as Knights slaying Dragons..." She questioned him in a soft tone as close to the forest was a mountain range where dragons reside as well.

Of course Alex had heard of mythical creatures before but that's exactly what they were, myths... Though on the other hand people didn't think magic was real either all the time.

"Um... Yeah I've heard of mythical creatures but I never really thought they were real at all." Alex squirmed a little. The sight of blood wasn't exactly things he was used to, he could heal things on his body before he even saw the extent of damage and blood wasn't needed to exit the body when he killed... In fact Alex kind of felt proud in that he could attack people without causing the need to draw blood.

She did wince when her brother wasn't careful but she gave him a comforting smile. Though she turned her blue eyes to Alex with her feeling bit tired as the herbs were fast actting. Shaking her head to keep herself awake as she continued on.

"Those myths are true. For centuries my family have resided here near this forest to keep people from hunting any more mythical creatures. There are few who are born with gifts such as myself and my mother. The forest you were in is a home to many creatures ranging from tiny fairies to the massive dragons from the legends we've heard since we were children. The only way they can survive is from a secret thats been passed down through my family only."

Aiko sat there in the chair as her brother finished with bandaging her up and went to fetch two bowls to fill with stew when Aiko got to her feet.

"Excuse me." She walked past Alex as she went to a room that wasn't far off. There she stripped down to nothing and grabbed a white gown that laced up. Though she continued on. "There are new moons when all creatures are revealed to humans such as you. The reason you saw the werewolves tonight and the centuars. Normally they are cloaked during night and day to your eyes but those with my bloodline can see them perfectly clear." She said as she walked out with her smoothing the gown out over the curved form she was born with. Her white hair was braided back from her face with her standing before him. "I don't know what else to say at this moment without revealing to much and running the risk of the lives of the mythical creatures."

Things were beginning to click in Alex's head now. The fact he had never encountered these creatures before was because he couldn't see them before. The fact that these was explained to him help him sort out his head a bit. Though that didn't totally explain everything.

"So do they not appear to people, except at certain times... Does that mean they can still attack people?"

Aiko looked away from him as he was correct on that part. "Yes they can. Which most people blame it on wild creatures when and if the bodies are found." Her voice was low when she spoke of this as when she was younger she failed several times before the Centuars suggested on helping her until she got better with her elemental powers.

Nodding in silence, Alex felt quite grim about the whole idea. That so many people may have died here and no-one really knew of the dangers that had befallen them. It was this kind of thing that fairytales were made from, the brave person who would slay these beasts to protect the people... Though now Alex knew that such fairytales were not that untrue.

"So you guard the beasts here... But I guess you are also in charge of making sure that people stay alive as well I guess..." Alex had thought the idea to be quite clever... Inherent abilities to help protect the world around them, passed from one generation to the next. "So does your brother also have these powers as well?" Alex enquired.

Alex would never have to worry about such measures himself, the chance that any offspring he had gained the same kind of powers he did was slim, in fact it was the same chance as any other person getting those powers, it was genetics, it just happened. Which was probably why people seemed to misunderstand those with powers.

"To be honest I don't know. I got mine when pubity hit it maybe the same for him." She said softly as she crossed her arms under her perky breasts as she looked over at her brother.

"I hope to get fire power like Papa!" He chimed in happily as he placed the stew on the table then ran off to get dressed for bed leaving the two of them.

Aiko looked at Alex. "So now you understand I kept telling you that you can stay here. I offer a place for travelers in my home or out in the stables if they feel more comfortable out there." She said softly as she went to her bowl which had very little in it. Naturally she ate enough to sustain yo keep her body functioning.

Smiling, Alex kept having to glance away from Aiko, feeling slightly uncomfortable with what she was wearing in his presence. Sure, Alex had seen females wearing less before, but Alex was pretty sure Aiko wouldn't be trying to sell her body to him.

Listening to the boy Alex smiled softly. "So your powers are based on the elements I presume... And you Aiko must be earth..." A light smile bore across Alex's face, his whole life was based around logic and reasoning so he was proud to be able to figure some things out by himself. "And I hope you get the powers you want..." Alex remarked to the boy, trying as hard as he could to avoid looking at Aiko.

She smiled over at Alex for a moment seeing he was still standing as she was sitting at the table. Silently she ate her potion of the stew. Whe nshe wasn't out in the forest she would dress like the normal young women of this era. A dress was more fitting but she seen women wearing less for money but she was raised to be modest even to any male that she found attractive.

Though when he mentioned about elements she nodded. "Yes, my mother had none, my father was fire and his father was wind....So far that I know of no one had water yet. Normally powers are passed down by the men and sometimes women if they were born into this family." She sighed as her little brother came out to eat dinner as she went to wash her dish. "Come on and eat. After you're done I can show you where you can sleep. If you wish." She said over her shoulder.

Alex nodded at her explanation. As it had always been with powers that pass through families, elements were usually passed by the male. It was a simple case of genetic passing, something Alex was always slightly jealous of. The way Aiko's family shared shared their abilties through genes meant that they would have someone to discuss their powers with. Alex on the other hand, had to discover how to use his powers on his own, which was often more dangerous than not.

"Thank you." Alex told her finally sitting down at the table to eat. It had been a long time since he had eaten a proper meal with people, unless he managed to stay in an inn, but that was rare with the way he was crossing to his destination. Picking up his spoon Alex began to eat. "It's very good, and thank you again for the hospitality."

Back
Top Bottom