Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Full Moon Trouble

MorbidJellybean

Planetoid
Olllld story I've been working on. It was my nanowrimo entry or project. I don't think it's very good.. It's a third rewrite I believe. So yeah, have at it.

Life isn’t always what it seems. That was something my dad always told me. I never quite got what he meant by that. Life was always the same for me. Those were his last words to me. “Abby, Life isn’t always what it seems.” His words were soft and scratchy as the last of his breath carried those words to me. I sat beside him in that cold hospital room. Listening to his breath come in and out. Mixing with the sounds of the heart monitor made for an eerie musical. I was a wreck; my eyes were red and puffy from the crying. He was all I had in the world, my rock. My mother died during child birth with me, leaving me to be the living reminder of her to him. Because of this, I rebelled, acting out because I didn’t know how to handle the feelings of being a reminder of the woman he loved so dearly. I was the cause of her death. Here, I sat, at the age of twenty two, weeping apologizes to him for all the bad shit I did as a kid and a teenager.

Dad just smiled up at me, weakly, patting my hand with his. He told me it was okay, that he never saw me the way I saw myself. I wasn’t the cause of my mother’s death. I was her joy, her precious gift to the world and to him. He repeated that phrase to me again. I didn't know why he chose those to be his last words to me. I didn’t have time to dwell on it while he closed his eyes for the last time. The sound of the heart monitor as his heart ceased its beating will always haunt me. I sat there, tears pouring from my eyes as reality hit me. My dad, the man who had always been there for me, would never open his blue eyes again. The doctor came rushing in, already knowing that my dad was gone. He had been laid up in the hospital for a few months now, the cancer slowly eating away at him. Finally his battle with prostate cancer was over. I stood back and watch as the doctor call his time of death, his face somber. It was going to be hard from here on out without my dad in the world. It was several days after his funeral that I was finally able to pick myself up from my bed and start sorting through the things he left me. I walked past his bedroom, pushing the door open timidly. The room still smelled like him, a mix of old spice and fresh laundry. I sank to his bed, sitting on the edge as I gaze around the room. There was a card on his dresser that caught my attention. Standing, I snatch it up and look at it. It was a business card, its surface smooth and glossy. It was black with white writing and an image of a full moon on it. It read “Full Moon Bar.” I looked at it for a while, flipping it over and over in my hands. Why would my dad have this? He wasn’t a drinker and rarely left the house. He was a writer, so why would he have a business card?

I shook my head, curious to what this place was. Maybe it was a writer’s bar. But the name of the place didn’t strike me as a bar. I looked up from the card and stared at myself in the mirror. My hair was a mess, a tangled nest of copper red. My green eyes were red and puffy still from my random fits of crying and my face was pale. I looked at the card in my hand again; there was an address on it. I figured what the hell? I could use a drink and maybe something knew my dad there. I decided it would be something I’d do tonight. It has been a long time since I got dressed up and went out on the town. And I could really use a drink after losing my dad. I stood, looking back as I left his room. It was just as he left it. I didn’t want to disturb it, to lose any remaining traces of him.

As night descending on Silverton, Oregon, I dressed for a night out on the town. Well, more like a night at a bar I’ve never heard of. I glanced at myself in the mirror; my body was clad in a black mini skirt, black leggings and knee high boots. I wore my favorite lacey top that displayed my cleavage well. It wasn’t like I was dressing to look for some sort of romantic entanglement, more for the feel of dressing up. I felt pretty and confident in the outfit. I pulled on my coat and grabbed my keys. I had the card tucked into my coat pocket, the address burned into my memory. I wasn’t sure what kind of bar it was or what kind of people hung out there. I figured I would find out once I got there. There had to be some hint to why my dad would have been there. And I was going to figure it out.
I drove for what seemed like hours before I finally reached the Full Moon bar. It was a sleepy looking place. Set back off the highway, nestled into the surrounding forest. I sat in my car for a while, watching as people come and went from the place. It looked like a biker bar mostly; a line of motorcycles lined the front. There were men and women of all sorts of sizes milling outside and going in and out. It made me a bit nervous about going inside. But when I saw a group of people around my age go inside, I figured it couldn’t be too hostile. I took a deep breath before I got out of my car. The night was chilly, fall was coming to a close and winter was starting to sneak up on us. I tugged my coat tighter around my small frame as I walked closer to the bar. As I neared the group of bikers out front stared at me like I was some sort of alien species. I didn’t look at them as I walked confidently into the bar.

The inside wasn’t much different than I had expected from looking at it from the outside. Booths were tucked into the corners and along the side of the inside; there was a dance floor in the middle of the room, tall tables and stools littered around it. The bar itself was long ad stretched across the back side of the room. To the left of it was a door marked private, which was probably the owner or manager’s office. The place was a lot larger than it looked from the outside. Small groups filled in patches at the booths and surrounding tables. There were groups and singles along the bar. I stood there for a moment, checking the place out, completely unaware of the eyes checking me out.

I moved further into the place, heading to the bar to get a drink. I was taken aback when I laid eyes on the bartender. He was tall, around six foot something, handsome with his dark hair that was tousled and his vivid amber colored eyes. I had never seen eyes like that before. I must have been gawking at him because he came up to me and grinned. I felt heat rushing to my cheeks as he looked me over.

“Why, hello there. What can I get you? Or do you just want to stand there all night gawking at me?” He asked. His voice was deep and smooth; it felt like his words ran down my body like hot water from the shower. I shook myself from my trance. I thought I caught a hint of an accent in his voice. Irish? Or maybe Scottish? I couldn’t really pin it and it was so faint. I smiled at him, finally regaining my self confidence back.

“As attractive as you may be, I think I’d take a rum and coke please.” I gave him a teasing wink and watched as he laughed. He made my drink and slides it across the bar to me. I reached out for it, our fingers brushing. I had to fight the urge to take a sharp breath in. My skin tingled. Our eyes locked for a long moment, and then he pulled away. If he had the same sensation, he didn’t show it. I paid for my drink and moved away from the bar and away from him. I didn’t need to be distracted by a handsome bartender who probably flirted with every skirt that walked into the bar. I searched for an empty booth to settle in and watch the people around me. I wasn’t very social, I rather watch people than actually interact with them. I had found, while growing up, that people were savages and beasts.

I had lost myself into thoughts of my dad and how much I will miss him, that I hadn’t noticed when a group of men started for my table. I was a lone woman in a bar I’ve never been in before. The men were at my table before I had time to react. I looked up to find myself surrounded by large, biker looking men. They were scary but I help my fear in check. This was a public place, what were they going to do? Throw me over their shoulders and carry me out of the bar? I don’t think so. They sneered at me as they crowded my booth. I picked up my glass and stared at them as I took a drink. After I set it down, I looked them all square in the eyes.

“May I help you?” I asked the largest one who stood at the front of my table. Two of his cronies slid in on either side of me. They smelled like old beer and stale smoke. It made my lips curl up in disgust. The two men crowded me in, making sure I knew I wasn't going anywhere until they decided I was. My heart pounded in my chest and I wanted to punch them both in their smug faces. Their bodies were brushing against mine and I felt dirty. I looked up towards the bar and caught the bartender's eye.

"Actually you can sweetie. You can come out with us for some fun. I promise we will show you a great time, darlin'." The largest man before me spoke. His words were greasy and left me feeling like I had dived into a large pool of mud. I felt gritty and dirty. His eyes moved from my face down to my chest, eyeing my well displayed cleavage. I wish I had been standing, and then I could have given him a swift kick in the nuts for eyeing me like I was a piece of meat hanging there for him. I placed my palms flat against the top of the table and stared right into his eyes. I wasn't going to show him I was scared of him, my father taught me better than that.

"You and your goons could never, ever show me or even some farm animal a good time. So I kindly ask you to leave me to my drink." I said my tone serious and my gaze steady. Keeping my hands on the table top kept them from trembling. I knew that once I left the bar, if they left me alone, they would try again. And outside, it would be far easier for them to actually do something about their misplaced desires. I couldn't help the involuntary shudder that shook my body at the thought of what they wanted to do to me. The man to my left grinned at me and ran his finger along my arm. I shot him a glance, almost daring him to try that again. Thick laughter erupted in front of me.

"Oh, little one, you are quite cute when you're trying to be threatening." The big man bellowed out laughter from deep in her belly. He leaned forward, his hands on the table. They were large and beefy, like hams on the end of his wrists. "You are coming with us, sweetie. A fine thing like you? You smell sweet and I bet you taste just as sweet." He said lowly, letting out an animalistic growl. I pushed back against the plush cushioning of the booth. Before I could say anything or react, I heard a deep voice.

"Is there a problem here?" I looked up to find where the dark and smooth voice came from. I was met with a tall, dark and scary looking man. He was incredibly attractive to boot. I felt my breath catch in my throat at the sight of him and his intense golden eyes. I have never seen anyone quite like him before. He was large, well over six feet and very well muscled. The black security shirt stretched over his broad chest as if it were too small for him. God, he was hot.

The men that surrounded me started to part, except for Big Man. He took a step towards Tall and Dark. When the others saw their leader step towards him, the surrounded him. Tall and Dark had a smirk on his face, like he wanted them to surround him. To try something. I sank back further, watching the scene before me unfold.

"Jeb, take your country ass out of my bar." Tall and Dark said to Big Man. Jeb, now that I knew the name of my would be assailant, laughed at Mr. Tall and Dark, who simply smiled at him. I wouldn't be poking the bear if I were Jeb. Tall and Dark looks like he could do some real damage if he wanted to. That didn't seem to dampen Jeb at all. He got right up in the other man's face. Jeb didn't have his height or muscle mass, but he didn't back down. Tall and Dark cracked his knuckles with a large smile on his face.

"Now, Tiger, you know you ain't got shit on me and my pack here." Jeb snarled at him. The man Jeb called Tiger, laughed at him. He didn't move, just laughed at him.

"Come off it. You're just a mutt like the rest of them. You wolves can't handle me. And you know the rules, no shifting in the bar unless we're closed." Tall and Dark hissed at Jeb. "Now leave the girl alone or you're going to have to deal with me." He said pushing Jeb away from him. The muscles in his arms bunched and unquenched with the movement. I could sit there and watch him move all day. It was graceful and smooth, like a cat. He was a beautiful looking man, strong and dark features, and intense golden eyes. He was definitely from another country, but I wasn’t sure which.

Back
Top Bottom