Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

RuneScape VS WoW

Which is better? I'll hold my opinion for now, but I'm curious to hear other opinions. I don't want to offer my own until I hear other people's point of view.

I will just say keep it civil in here.
and, Discuss!

3ngag3 said:
This isn't even a contest. The answer is Ragnarok Online.

touche. point goes to ragnarok online. is that still around? I should check it out if it is.

still, "The World" is the one I Really want to play.

WoW. Sure it has a subscription, but it has vast lore that is beyond the game, a continuing story within the game itself, smooth leveling, not too fast, not too slow if you ask me. Lots to do, with quests, achievements, crafting, rewards, and lots of end game content to keep you going once you've reached level cap. Very consistent goal oriented game, which is essential to MMOs being a success. Only problem is that Blizzard has become smug from being on top for so long. They want to spit out an expansion at least once a year now, which I think will lead to less quality game content. Not to mention, their method to accomodate all players and draw more people in is to make the game easier, which takes away some of the challenge to the senior players.

It's still my favorite MMO even though I do not play it anymore. And I've lost count on how many MMOs I've played. I was an avid F2P player until I just ran out of challenges and decided to go to WoW. I couldn't afford it anymore after 3 years of playing and everyone I had been playing with were quitting because of a patch that made certain raids easier.

But really... I honestly do think there is no contest between the two. What people want out of a MMO varies and they all bring something unique to the table. But WoW has been the most well rounded game I've ever played.

I think my biggest arguement against wow is the quests. They're a dime a dozen and all you do is go kill 8 monsters. At least from my short experience in the game. I saw Q marks everywhere, and to me. that is a BIG INSULT to me as a player. When I hear 'quest' i think about tracking down information so i can solve an issue and then possibly take out a named villian.

Runescape has what i want. even helping a chef find ingredients for baking a cake felt more rewarding then completing 100 quests in wow.
there is a quest to rescue a prince from a thug looking for ransom. It's a pretty good quest and that's just a free quest.

SImplification is a huge issue in runescape now, like with the added tool belt. you no longer need to hunt down the tools you need, but worse then that is the change of the home teleport spell.

when it first came out it was a freespell to the starting town, and it required a 30 minute cooldown,.
now it can go to any tony you have found a loadstone in and it has zero cool down.
okay, so why would I ever cast the actual teleport to town spell ever again?

The questing system has changed and personally, I think they're pretty fun, especially in the starting zones and newer zones now. The BC and WOTLK content is a little lacking but there's a few fun quests in there. If you didn't play late WOTLK or Cataclysm you haven't experienced much of the new content. Their quests range in difficulty and challenge, and they have random storylines and main storylines. I think quests are actually one of WoW's strong points, second to Guild Wars 2 main story quest line. I've played true grindfest MMOs where its "Go kill 10 of these." "Okay, now go kill 20 more." "Okay, now go kill 50!" "Now kill 100!", repeat quests, etc. With WoW, there is lore, variety, and you never really have to do the same thing twice in an area. I don't care about having to grab quests really... just run up, talk to them, listen to the story, and do it. Most quests are found in town anyways, and any you find in the wild are typically near the mobs you have to kill. The key to WoW questing is lore and story. If you aren't into the story, or if you don't read, you may end up feeling a little lost.

Here's a nice example of a random quest found in WoW. It's a little raw and buggy since this was during beta:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bP-m_BwX0[/video]

with runescape you kind of need to read the dialogue or you wont know what to do. woe they give you a pargraph to read which you can just skip over.

i played runecape back in classic. back when they had classes. back in 2002 or maybe even earlier. People say it's boring now? it's improved greatly over the years. and it's always improving and guess what. you dont pay for upgrades no matter how small or big.
wow. new expansion? 40 bucks. PLUS 15 bucks a month.
runescape is 8 bucks a month.

my arguement, dollar for content, which is better?

sure, wow has better graphics, better combat? only slightly. lore? nothing that i was made to care about, but guess what, runescape has lore too!

and if you're argueing that one of wow's strongest points is their quests then you have defiently confinced me it is a lame game.

I played two months right before panda expansion came out. and i was bored to death. thankfully Torchlight 2 AND Borderlands 2 came out and made me love video games again.

i dont care that it's slow at first to get people used to the system. you gotta catch them early or you lose them.

One MMO i really liked was Rose Online, before it went P2P. the beta was a lot of fun, the first beta.
now everything is changed, the starting island no longer exists, the starting town is now a tiny camp site instead of a giant port.
and it's no longer any fun like it used to be.
but I will say I did enjoy it's combat system.
priston tales if that's what it was called was pretty cool too.

If people are willing to dish out the money and they enjoy the game, then it is worth it. No one has the right to tell someone whether their investment is worth it or not. Its all opinion based. With subscriptions, they are able to have more stable servers, regular and improved maintenance, and it enables them to work on and release patches with new content (for free) throughout the year. And WoWs patch content load has always been something I enjoyed. When I played f2p MMOs, they'd maybe do a big patch once a year, and it'd be stuff like "We've got 5 new quests! There's some new items in the cash shop, mobs now drop this single new armor set, and we added 3 new hair colors to the character customization!" But with WoW, you get new dungeons and raids, stuff like that what I consider new content.

And I never paid that much for WoW... lol. Cyber Monday is a great time to buy WoW. Never paid more than $10 for an expansion except for Cataclysm. I paid $37 for that. WoWs expansions have always been the biggest I have ever seen in MMOs. They always add an entirely new continent with about 10 new zones, 5+ new dungeons, raids, a new race, a new class, new main boss, quests that are always improving and fun, continuation of the story, etc. And then year round, they continue adding to that. And one of the things that has put WoW on top is its ability to continue updating their game at a consistent rate is because of the money put into the game.

And slight correction, the subscription base varies depending on how long you want your subscription to last. Most players don't pay $15 a month. Basically the longer your overall subscription package is, the less you pay per month. This is to benefit loyal and regular players. Subscriptions are a dying method of gaining money, but at the same time... MMOs that don't do subscriptions tend to have cash shops, and with experience, loyal players of f2p MMOs dish out just as much in the cash shops yearly as a player of a subscription based MMO would pay for subscriptions. Not to mention games that have free to play mixed in with optional subscriptions, freemium, or cash shops often lead to unfair advantages and disadvantages.

And no durr all MMOs have back stories and lore. But it doesn't mean its quality or vast. I'm not sure if Runescape's lore could quite compare to the amount in WoW, and this is an unbiased statement since I don't play MMOs for the lore. But WoW was the first MMO that did entice me to look more into the lore. The franchise has been around since the 90s, and WoW came out in 2004. The back story and history had already been well established, and when WoW came out, it just expanded even more. There's novels, comic books, and there's even a movie in the works.

As for the combat system... there's been a lot of argument over that in the past few years. The thing about WoW is that being a successful player in that game is like an art. There's a lot of elitism. And you had to be a practical scholar in your class and with your skills to be successful. If you don't have the right rotation, or if you're missing something in your build, your DPS could drastically go down and playing is going to suck for you. But in the recent expansions, Blizzard has began giving more into new and casual gamer demands, overall dumbing down the game for the loyal players.

You're judging WoW for what it is right now. And right now, MMOs are a dying breed of games. They're crapping MMOs out all year round, but at the same time, none of them seem to be a consistent success, at least to the extent that maybe Everquest or WoW had. WoW is your classic top notch MMO (and this is based on statistics), and part of the reason that WoW is beginning to flop is not necessarily because it's a bad game. It's still surprisingly a great game despite its flaws and it still has a massive player base world wide, and it will for awhile unless Blizzard pulls the plug.

But with different varying multiplayer online games coming out, MMOs are losing what was once solely their appeal. The combat in MMORPGs has always been lacking because the game never revolved around the player. The player is a small part of something bigger. Hence, the holy trinity, which is typically limiting unless the game has duel specs or ones class is a hybrid. MMOs are trying to step away from the holy trinity and make their combat more singular and action based, but so far I have yet to see a MMO perfect this. And to be honest, I don't think anyone will. It seems when they excel in something, they lack in another. And when there is a negative, it's like the players just focus on the negative, and those who tolerate the negative and play for the positives are called blind by the other players. Again, a game is worth it as long as you're having fun. The second you stop enjoying a game, no matter what it is or how much you've invested, you should stop playing. But don't hate on those who still enjoy it.

Thankfully there's hundreds of them out there to choose from. But one consistency I notice over the past 2 years is that a company will hype up a game claiming they're bringing something new to the table, and they do, but it's not enough and the game ends up flopping. No MMO has been anywhere near as much of a success as WoW has, and the closest in the past few years has been Rift, and they're basically riding WoWs back, seeing what WoW is doing to tick off players, and promising the opposite. That's not what I call innovation though and it'll fall once WoW has fallen. My point being is that I think even with innovative features, different play styles, stories, systems, etc. all of the highly anticipated MMOs the past couple of years have completely flopped. But other multiplayer games, such as LoL, have been on the rise. I think people are just hoping for the nostalgia of classic multiplayer games that are typical MMOs, yet they don't want to play a MMO anymore because no matter what, they are just losing their appeal. This is where WoW has been receiving criticism, because they aren't innovating, despite being one of the most innovative games years ago. For what MMOs have been in the last decade, WoW was the holy grail of MMOs, and now its typical, better than most, but typical. But WoW was made in 2004, the player base is massive. It's an older out-dated game that was the epitome of MMORPGs for the decade and will probably forever be the game that comes to mind for MMOs when we've long evolved past the classic MMO genre. To get with the times, Blizzard probably have to make an entirely new game. The game is just too old and the player base is just too large to just up and completely revamp it. Because those who are currently playing are playing it because they like it as it is, so they cannot just change the game entirely for these players (and customers). So Blizzard is taking the route of making an entirely new game. When that happens, WoW will likely take the path that all MMOs take. They will coast, the player base will drop, the game will likely go f2p, and it'll just slowly go hide in the shadows with Everquest.

But my opinion still stands. As it is right now, WoW is still a great MMO, and it is the one I've enjoyed the most. Not to mention, it was my last resort game at the time and I always made to try out other MMOs over the years while still playing WoW. My friend tried getting me into Runescape back in 2008, and I couldn't stand it. I've played many MMOs and it is one of three that I absolutely refuse to return to (the others being MapleStory and City of Heroes).

MMOs vary per person as they all have their ups and downs and bring something different to the table and players play MMOs for different reasons. WoW was always good to me. I've always been a MMO connoissuer, I've probably played 20+ MMOs, and I'm not one of those biased Blizzard fans. Out of all of the MMOs I've played, WoW was the most challenging (end-game) and enjoyable. I know its reign over the other MMOs is coming to an end, but it's still good for what it is and the dying genre it represents.

omg wall of text.
o.o... you really like that game huh?
i think if it wasnt for the quests i wouldn't be into runescape except i do love making my own gear.
it's a sad thing that the star wars MMO died out so quickly especially cause the cut the power to their older one.
i mean, the first everquest is still around as well as the second one.

if someone could make an ammo with a proper combat system, an interactive one like the elder scroll single player games. i might get hooked.

Well there IS going to be an Elder Scrolls MMO. Though I'd rather that be a co-op for up to 5 player kind of game. Like I mentioned, I firmly believe MMOs are just falling out of trend with the rise of varying genres that cater to online co-op and multiplayer. A lot of people are turning antisocial when it comes to online gaming. They want to interact just enough to find a small group of friends, or bring some friends into the game with them, and then they act like hostile douchebags to everyone else. The players clearly want to be able to play with others without being immersed in an actual community setting.

And I'm not some WoW fanatic or anything. I was just a cynical player at one point too. But my philosophy is to play to about 1/3 to level cap to see how I feel about it. But with MMOs like WoW that are end-game heavy, you don't really experience the game until level cap. And thankfully without WoW, it's pace isn't that bad.

i hot 40 with a paladin, the hoove people, and i hated my mount so i worked on training an elf but i got bored. and then my friend stopped paying cause he didnt play anymore and he was paying for me to play with him and well.
anyway. so much.

ya so, i never once had a party on any mmo XD
also. everytime i did a dungeon there was connection errors and i never got the end loot. and boy did that piss me off.

I'd have to give it to WoW, by a long shot.
Simply put, you get what you pay for.

I mean graphics wise, it's obvious why they win.
Gameplay, I guess this one is a personal preference, but I actually like what WoW is doing.
Quests, I can't make a single complaint about WoW, I mean obviously they have the obvious "Go kill 20 of ____", but so does everygame. Those are filler, grinding quests to level you up, they have big quests too.

You could complain that the updates to WoW cost money, but they also do free, constant updates all the time adding dungeons, quests, etc. The expansions you buy, are like a whole new games worth of content.

That being said though, they are basically two different genres of MMO. One a basically free to play, and one pay to play.

i will always prefer runescape, number one reason, if i want to do a quest i can quest. i have seen none of that in wow.
they all feel like simple scavenger hunts at best, and at worst getting some extra gold for doing what im already doing.

and runescape does not have the go kill 20 monsters quests, not one single one like that.

As someone who is max level on runescape and has led raids on almost all content WoW has had to offer..

Runescape is like MMO preschool kinda. It's where I started, and it's kinda raised a part of me. It's a solid game that keeps you with something to do and it very well simulates the real world at times. With there being an ever growing economy, real live criminals and thieves among it's player base, requires real hard work and time spent to succeed, and risks to take, it's a lesson teacher for a young mind as I was back then.

WoW is a glorious endless amazing story. The lore is godlike, strong and even makes you take a side in the fight, and probably will have you passionate about your allegiance to either the Horde or Alliance. hands down the story is like no other, they are professionals at Telling a story that you actually live inside. But the game falls down on it's face pretty hard with the end game difficulty. As an ex raid leader, the game is just not worth it when you have to find 40, 25, 10, or even fucking 5 competent other human beings that can handle their portion of the challenge. The game is not hard because Blizzard makes it hard, the game is hard because other players are too stupid or lazy to TRY.

Just my 4 cents.

Joking Answer? Mabinogi is a better MMO than both of them.

Serious answer? Mabinogi is a better MMO than both of them.

But to be constructive here, I have always prefered Runescape. I loved Warcraft when they were RTS games but I never could get into WoW. I tried but I got SUPER bored. The big issue is just how GRINDY WoW felt. Sure, Runescape is uber grindy but they have many ways to mitigate how tedious it feels. You can train skills and earn generic experience for leveling through the various mini-games and the like, which gives you fun while you 'grind'.

I also enjoyed Runescapes humor, big time. I'm sure WoW has its share of chuckles but I never really found them in the time I played. Music in Runescape is still stuff i love (I log in from time to time to listen to my unlocked soundtrack sometimes even now). I enjoy the lore of Runescape more. WoW always felt like it suffered Dragon Ball Z syndrome where they're always finding some newer, bigger threat just when they thought that the previous threat couldn't be topped. Runescape tends to take its time with escalating the plot line of the world and the lore feels far better integrated.

A big thing that is often controversial when I mention it is I HATE....HATE Warcraft's 'faction' system. I just don't like the fact that you effectively divide the player base in such a way. It can also be annoying if you have friends on one faction but that faction doesn't have a race you want to play. You feel this obligation to play a sucky second choice because you wanna be on the same side as friends. it's just annoying to me, is all.

I could go on but I mean, it's just my opinion. Out of the two, Runescape felt like it had more to offer ME as a player. Also, it was cheaper. So it had that going for it :p

I personally preferred RuneScape over WoW. I can't even say what it was about the two of them that made me enjoy RuneScape more, but i played that game for about 2-3 years before quitting. WoW I would play only 2 or 3 days before I got bored and moved on to something more interesting.

Plus, RuneScape was free.

Back
Top Bottom