Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Beauty Within (Battleship44 & darkangel76)

Hearing Rake call out her name and commanding her to let her body climax along with his just made Lizzie that much hotter. The urgency she felt burning inside her body was absolutely unbearable. So, without hesitation, she obeyed his command, whimpering, crying out Rake’s name over and over as she came hard around him.

The throb in Lizzie’s clit just wouldn’t subside as Rake continued to pound into her, releasing his seed deep inside her as he did so. Again, she came. She couldn’t believe it. Her body shook and shivered uncontrollably as orgasm after orgasm overtook her body. It was almost too much.

Muscles weak, body twitching on its own, Lizzie felt herself going limp against Rake. Her body was more than spent, sore in all the right places and the bliss she felt was unlike anything she could ever describe. Her entire body felt renewed and the throbbing ache between her legs was dulled down to a pleasant sensation that seemed to start there and then spread everywhere else. It was like being in heaven.

Trying to catch her breath, Lizzie tried to shift her body, only she couldn’t. Her muscles were too weak. Though the weakness felt wonderful and was fully welcomed as far as she was concerned. Only Rake could get her this way and that’s how she wanted it to be forever. She could feel his bite marks and scratches on her body and they made her smile.

“Mmm…” Lizzie sighed as Rake finally slowed down, his body settling. At that, she collapsed within his arms.

Rake’s breath was quick, his pants were hard and his body was sweaty. This time he did not gain back his strength and agility as quickly as he did last time, he put all of his strength into the sex, the mating would mark her with his scent for a long time to come. Of Corse, that doesn’t mean he’ll not take her until his scent is off, but the point was everyone will know, everyone wont even doubt that fact that she is his lioness.

She collapsed in his arms, her body giving out on her and for good reason. Rake slowly turned to rest his back on the wall, and slipped down to sit. She was still on top of him, he was still inside her, again his body somewhat refused to break the bond connecting them for a while. Her legs were still spread, draping over his own. He wrapped his arms gently around her waist, resting her back on his chest for her to recover, all the while his lips affectionately trailing her neck, placing loving kisses and small nips against it, marking her even further.

“And…that’s why I went abit easy last time…I didn’t think you could handle it…but your as strong, and more beautiful than the lionesses, it seems.” He smiled at her abit, tilting his head to look into her eyes, flashing her his handsome, wild expression, his hair falling all over his eyes.

Lizze just smiled at Rake, her tummy fluttering as he flashed her a grin. She had the urge to touch his hair. To brush it from his face a little so that she could better see his eyes. But she was so tired, so exhausted. Her entire body was spent, every muscle sore. Though she wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. And she couldn’t wait until the two of them were able to do what they’d just done again.

Rake had called Lizzie strong, had told her he placed her above the lionesses of his pride. It made her heart swell to hear him say such things. She wanted to please him, to make him proud. She wanted him to feel like he hadn’t made too much of a sacrifice by saving her life. It was strange. She had been so confused and frightened when he’d told her they’d have to mate to save her life. She’d been so damned reluctant. And now, only hours later, she couldn’t imagine herself with any other person. Not ever.

Lizzie laid against Rake, taking in his warmth. She knew he’d have to carry her to wherever it was his pride was located. She hoped that he didn’t mind it too much. As she let her body settle, her breathing calming down, she realized that she could smell Rake’s scent. It was so strong, even to her dulled human senses. It made her smile and she knew she was covered in it.

Closing her eyes, Lizzie just let herself enjoy the last few moments that she had with Rake before he had no choice but to take her to his pride.

Sighing a little, Lizzie said, “I hope I please you, Rake.” Pausing a moment, she added, “And I hope I don’t make things too difficult for you with your pride.” She was worried for him. Whether he’d decided to present her as human or other, she didn’t know. But either way, she knew there would be trouble. She was an outsider and he’d been promised to someone else. No matter how one looked at it, her presence was going to cause some issues.

His smile grew wider when he studied her expressions for a moment, wanting to judge if he had hurt her, or if she had enjoyed it. It was clear as the sun itself she wanted for more of this, and he couldn’t wait till the next time he mated with her. Yet he knew it wouldn’t be before he took her to his pride, much would have to be conquered before they can at least settle for abit. She leaned back against him, and closed her eyes to enjoy the few silent moments of affection. He wanted her in his arms like this, always.

She felt so comforting, so serene, like she could be his support whenever he needed support. He didn’t always have to be that much in charge with her, she was strong. She turned her head to look at him playfully, and so adorably asked him if she pleased him. Rake could only smile brighter, abit of a geeky, playful smile flashed before her, and he leaned his head down abit. He held her against his body tighter, his arms shivered just because they didn’t want to let her go.

His lips kissed abit at her shoulder and neck, his hair falling forwards, almost all the way down to her waist. His words were whispers, not even the stones of the den, the walls of the temples were to hear them, they were hers, and hers alone. “I have never…enjoyed something, as intensely as I enjoyed you…we’ll need to be doing more of this once we settle in again, you know.” He grinned playfully, and every so gently trailed up her shoulder to her upper neck, placing affectionate kisses everywhere his lips trailed.

“I’ve changed my mind…I’m not going to try and sneak you in as a shape shifter anymore…your already my strong, beautiful lioness. They should know who you are…they need to know why you’re my reason for living.”

Lizzie immediately felt her eyes begin to prickle with tears as Rake’s words sunk into her mind. She made him proud, it seemed. Though she still worried for him and what his bringing her back to his pride would mean for him, for them. She knew it wouldn’t be easy, but she knew she’d also stay by his side no matter what. So long as he would have her.

“I love you, Rake,” Lizzie whispered, her voice shaky with the joyful tears that spilled down her cheeks. “I’ll do whatever is needed to make things easy on you.” She wanted him to know that she’d try her best to adapt to his ways, his pride. She wanted him to know that she embraced everything about who he was and that she’d stay by his side and support him no matter what obstacles were thrown their way.

Lizzie felt herself shiver a little as Rake continued to nip and kiss at her neck and shoulder. It felt so nice and she was sad that they’d be leaving soon. She wanted to stay tucked away in their little den forever. But reality had a funny way of interfering no matter how hard you tried to avoid it.

Turning her head a little, Lizzie asked, “When are you taking me back to your pride?” Her muscles were so weary, so sore. She hoped that Rake’s carrying her wouldn’t make her appear weak to the others in his pride, make her seem an unworthy mate for a man such as Rake. Her nervousness about such things, she was sure, was apparent. Though she knew that she’d try not to let that show once among his people. “It’s soon. Isn’t it?” she then asked.

Rake blinked a little as tears began rolling down her eyes, his words were only the truth, only what he truly felt from the bottom of his heart. He couldn’t help but get a little swooned on the inside abit, if he was a human he’d probably yell out a large “aww!” right at her. She told him she loved him, she told him that she would be there as long as he wished. Rake could only smile wider. He placed his hands on her waist, and turned her to face him slowly. He wrapped her legs gently around his waist, her naked body over his own so she did not have to touch the dirty floor.

He leaned in and began to gently lick her tears from her cheek, kissing it every so often as he did. His hand lifted after a moment, and softly took her chin, raising her head abit to meet his eyes. “And I’ve never loved anything, anything! Lizzie…as much as I love you, so please…I beg you not to cry anymore, even if they tears of joy. Your so much more beautiful when you smile…my goddess should never fear when im with her. She should never be filled with sorry or cry.” His free hand lifted and cupper her cheek gently, his thumb wiping off the little trails left by her pure tears.

“I will bring you everything you wish…I will not let a single drop of rain touch you without your permission. You needn’t ever shed a tear…ill make sure of it.” his words finally ended, only to be replaced with her lips. His head had tilted forward, and ended his scentance in an affectionate kiss. He wanted her to know he meant everything, he wasn’t just rambling on about protection…he loved her.

“We’ll be leaving as soon as you feel your ready…just tell me when, my love…I’ll carry you all the way there myself.”

Lizzie couldn’t help but smile at Rake’s words. They were said with such conviction, such passion. She knew he meant every word and would do whatever he could to see that they would. It made her love him even more.

Looking around the small den and spotting her clothes, Lizzie reluctantly reached for them. Holding them up, she chuckled a little. Her bra ad panties had been torn and were no longer wearable. Rake just gave her a sheepish grin. Discarding her underclothes, she then slipped on her white tshirt and blushed. Her nipples were quite visible underneath the thin white material. Immediately, she slipped on her pale blue hoodie, zipping it up so that her nipples weren’t as visible. She didn’t mind if Rake could see them, but she didn’t want the others of his pride to be allowed to see such things. As far as she was concerned, the only one allowed to see her body now was Rake. No one else. Not ever. Lastly she put on her jeans, socks and shoes.

“I’m ready, Rake,” Lizzie said somewhat reluctantly, her body still tired and sore. To help cheer herself up, she added, “I’m ready to spend my life with you and you alone now.” As the words passed over her lips, she felt them turn upward into a smile. Her whole life had been turned upside down in an instant. Though she found herself thinking that she wouldn’t have had it any other way.

On very wobbly legs, Lizzie tried to crouch, but it was hard for her. Her muscles were so fatigued that they gave out almost instantly. Looking at Rake, who was dressing himself, she blushed and then smiled. For they both knew why she was in the condition she was. The scent permeating from her body alone was enough to let everyone know the reason. Shapeshifter and human alike.

Sitting back down, Lizzie waited for Rake to finish dressing so that he could carry her off to be introduced to his pride. And her new way of life.

Rake only watched her for a few moments, his eyes were dead set over her figure. She was perfect no matter how he looked at her, he didn’t even bother to think of the things that made her so perfect, she just was. She put on all her clothes, and commented about her underwear, causing rake to let out abit of a laugh when she blushed. He got up and, and placed the shorts back on.

He then went to the corner for the small den, and picked a the knife he had with him earlier, he had hidden it in the dark just so she wouldn’t be harmed by it. Rake wasn’t wearing much clothes to begin with, so with that he was set and ready, only waiting for her to be done. When she was, she adorably stumbled to her feet, and fell down.

She looked up at him with a “puppy- eye” look. He couldn’t resist, immediately satteling the knife through a knot in his shorts, and walking over to her. He leaned down, gently slipping his hands beneath her and lifting her up against him. The way he did however, was a little different than what she probably thaught. It was abit of a lion trait, normal lions picked up their young straight with their mouths, not on their back.

And so he wrapped her legs around his waist, pressed her breasts against his chest and leaned her head against his shoulder gently. He placed a kiss against her cheek affectionately, one hand under her behind, holding her up since he knew her legs were not strong enough at the moment to hold on. His other was on her waist, supporting her comfortably against him. “Alright then, my love…let’s go start our new life. From this moment on…the world will know that I, am yours.” He smiled at her and placed another kiss against her neck, before kicking the stone blocking the dark den open. The sun’s beams hit them straight in the face, it hurt a little bit of Corse, they were in the dark for who knows how long.

But Rake gently lifted a hand and pressed her head softly against his shoulder, blocking her eyes from the harsh sun. A moment passed, and before she knew it, he took off in abit of a quick jog, careful not to go too fast. She was fragile at the moment, every action he took, he considered her, every single one.

Lizzie was somewhat startled with the way in which Rake picked her up to carry her. But she strangely found his way to be more comforting, more… intimate. With her breasts pressed firmly against his chest and her core against his abdomen, she could feel his body heat, his everything oh so much more.

Rake gently cradled Lizzie’s head against his shoulder as if she were the most precious thing in the world to him, his greatest treasure. His actions touched her deeply and she rested her head quite willingly, relishing the scent she was able to take in off his skin there. It was heavy, strong, wonderful.

Rake whispered some reassuring words to Lizzie before moving the large rock out of the way and opening the den up to the daylight outside. The sun was bright causing her to have to quickly shut her golden eyes.

Hugging onto Rake, his arms protectively holding her, supporting her, Lizzie let out a contented sigh. She was ready for her new life and whatever it brought her way.

Just then, Rake began to jog through the woods, dodging the trees as he did so. It astounded Lizzie that he still had so much energy after everything that had happened. His fight with the wolf, saving her twice, their love making… But somehow, he still had the energy, he still had the strength. Smiling, she nuzzled her face against his chest and let her body relax into his strides through the trees.

Lizzie wondered how long it would be before they reached Rake’s pride. She wondered if they’d encounter any wolves on their way. So many things filled her mind. But in the end, the only thing that she didn’t fear nor doubt was her love for the man carrying her at that moment. The man who was now her mate.

Rake’s steps sprung louder and louder as his pace through the thick woods increased. Occasionally jumping from branch to branch, avoiding the rough ground marked by blood and sand. His grip on Lizzie never loosened, holding her closely and tightly against his body as he cradled her against him, the closer they got to the pride the tighter he seemed to hold on. His strength was not at its best to say the least.

He was tired, exhausted, sleepy. And yet he struggled, and kept silent through the pain. His body shivered against her own for a few moments, wanting for him to give up on the running, to just quit and rest once again. But no…he couldn’t. He wasn’t about to show weakness, he wasn’t going to run away from the problem, he was going to show her off to everyone, and nothing, not even pain could change his mind. A visual of the village hidden within the trees came to spring. At the deepest, thickest part of the forest was where they had decided to build it.

And once again, his pace had picked up, wanting to get there faster, unable to wait to introduce her to everyone, to prove all their theories wrong, to defy the rules set by his own flesh and blood. “We’re almost there beauty…so keep your chin up, and be proud of what you are to me.” He smiled a little at her, taking his eyes off the rugged, busy trail to lean his head down and press a kiss on her shoulder.

Lizzie leaned her head against Rake’s chest, taking in his scent the best her human nose would allow. She could hear his breathing; feel the rise and fall of his chest with every breath he took. It was so very comforting. But she sensed something was off. She couldn’t quite tell what it was though and hoped that Rake would tell her once they got to his pride.

Rake’s pride. Lizzie still worried greatly about being introduced to them all. Rake had told her that he was risking his life by just talking to her, had originally planned to sneak her in as one of them to avoid possible execution. But now? Now, here he was ready to bring her to them as his mate, his one and only. She hoped he knew what he was doing because the fear she felt for him was far greater than the fear she felt for herself.

Lizzie kissed at Rake’s neck as he pressed onward. Suddenly, he whispered, “We’re almost there beauty…so keep your chin up, and be proud of what you are to me.” She felt him kiss at her shoulder and she shivered at the contact.

Lizzie looked up at Rake as he continued running through the woods. She felt so much love inside herself for him. But she also felt so much fear and worry. Suddenly he felt his body shiver, tremble, for a moment and her eyebrows furrowed. Yes, something was wrong. Something he hadn’t told her.

Lizzie hugged Rake tightly then. “I love you,” she said against him. “Please, please be careful.” She reached a hand up around his neck and tangled her fingers in his hair. She hoped that whatever it was that was wrong wasn’t something too serious. And she hoped that she’d be able to help him get through whatever it was.

His body was slowly giving out on him, and he felt it. he felt his strength fading…no, not now. Not now he thought, over and over in his mind, pressing forward one quick step at a time. then, she wrapped her arms around him tighter, and hugged him, telling him she loved him. Those words alone held so much power, enough power to over-come the pain pressuring his body, his abilities, only the opposite.

Rake’s speed picked up, and his hold on her tightened right back, pressing her as tightly as he could against him. “I’m doing the best I can…I promise.” He flashed a smile and kissed the top of her head, finally steps away from the pride’s home, his village. And before he could speak another word, they were already there. It was un-real, the constructed homes, the village center, almost everything was built within trees. Of Corse, cats. The houses were suspended up in the highest of trees, safe from the wolves. Idiotic creatures, not even having such a basic skill as climbing. The branches sufficed for roads, and the few constructions on the ground, were hidden inside rocks for shape shifters who preferred to stay from the trees.

“Welcome, to your new home, beauty.” He smiled and took a step forward, now walking slowly with her as they approached the entrance together. He was going to call her beauty now, he thought. She was to him…beautiful in every way, the closest thing he’d seen to a perfect being. She was everything, yet beauty was such a curse, a curse he had to protect her from. Instinctively, his hands tightened abit more around her, pressing her further against his bare chest as his steps cracked the fallen leaves beneath his feet.

Inches away from the entrance, Rake came to a sudden pause, his nose sniffled lightly, and his head tilted to the side for a moment, away from Lizzie’s neck. A third step, one that wasn’t his own was heard. Someone was watching, someone was stalking to put it better. Ah, the all too familiar scent of a sibling. Stupid, stupid to stalk someone you’ve been with your entire life, stupid to stalk your own brother.

“Your too loud again, brother…above all, you still smell of morning blood, clean your ass before you stalk.” Rake’s words were abit surprising, no one was in sight, honestly. Lizzie probably didn’t see a thing, nor notice a thing, until finally a second later Rake’s words had meaning. A tall man, his skin tanned the exact same tone Rake’s was, stepped out of the trees. His hair was slightly shorter than rakes, yet he just seemed…older. His hair was bright red, and they matched his eyes. The traits were too similar to ignore, plus Rake’s words made it obvious.

“Since when do we bring “Them” home, Rake…do you have any idea what your about to do, if you set one fucking claw inside this village?” His words struck rake rather harshly, and yet he expected them, he expected everything. Slowly, he lowered Lizzie from his arms, only to walk up to his brother slowly, taking her with him then pressing her back against his chest. He didn’t look down at her at the moment, his eyes were set on his brother, it was much too dangerous to take his eyes off of him, he could strike her without even a warning.

“Lizzie…I’d like you to meet my brother, Reynard.”

Suddenly, Rake came to a halt. Lizzie wondered why he’d do that so abruptly. But then, she did know that typically humans weren’t welcome among the pride. Or at least that was what Rake had hinted at. She saw Rake’s facial expression turn from worry, to seriousness to something else.

“You’re too loud again, brother… above all, you still smell of morning blood, clean your ass before you stalk,” Rake suddenly said breaking the silence.

Lizzie’s eyes widened. Rake said ‘stalked’. Was someone watching them? Oh god! She could feel her heart racing in her chest as panic began to wash over her. They hadn’t even stepped inside his village yet and already they were being stalked. She felt like she was causing him so much trouble, turning his world upside down and into one big chaotic mess.

Just then, a tall man stepped out from the shadows. He looked a lot like Rake. It was clear they were related. Did she hear Rake call him ‘brother’ only moments ago? She found that she just couldn’t remember. Too many things were buzzing around her mind. It was hard to remember how to even breathe at this point for her.

“Since when do we bring ‘them’ home, Rake… do you have any idea what you’re about to do, if you set one fucking claw inside this village?” the man who looked like Rake said. His facial expression and tone filled with an air of smugness.

Lizzie felt herself gulp, her body trembling a little in fear. Not just for herself, but for Rake. Slowly, Rake set her down. Once she found her footing, he held onto her, holding her close and began walking toward the smug man. Though he looked a lot like Rake, there was something about him that bothered her greatly.

Suddenly, Rake stood still once more, his arms tightly wrapped around Lizzie. “Lizzie… I’d like you to meet my brother, Reynard.”

Lizzie blinked several times. So, he was indeed his brother. It was all coming clear. Slowly, extending her hand, she smiled. “Nice to meet you Reynard.” Her fear was evident, but she wasn’t going to let it win no matter what. For Rake, she’d do whatever she had to, whatever she could. And right now that was meeting his brother.

Rake’s eyes shot down towards Lizzie extended hands towards his brother, biting down on his lip gently. He really couldn’t predict how Reynard would react, he only knew his brother could be quite unpredictable at times. His hand held her against his side abit tighter as she spoke, her head leaning against the side of his upper chest. It seemed he only let her hand escape his hold around her, despite the danger it still seemed like he would be able to jump in front anything that he would deem hurtful.

Reynard’s eyes shot down to the woman’s hand, and he raised and eyebrow, snorting loudly. She extends a hand, Rake…does she offer it to me as food? Or perhaps she thinks I will greet her with open arms?” he had a sly grin about his expression, slipping on his face the moment Rake shot him a glare at his comment. Rake stood still, holding her firm and tight, while Reynard leaned in and sniffed at the woman, walking around both of them, eyeing, scanning, taking in the new scent.

“I’ll warn you now, Reynard…older brother or not, touch her, and I will make you regret the thought alone.” Rake’s head was turning slowly, following Reynard’s every movement through the tense moments. It was only going to get worse, this was just his bother, who was nowhere as strict as his father.

"Oh…this smell..” Reynard sniffed around abit more, leaning towards Rake now and taking a sniff of him. Suddenly a horrified expression implanted his face, stepping back to give Rake a playfull, yet confused look. “You IMPRINTED on her? Did you really make this…human, your mate?...your scent covers her from head to fucking toe…oh, father will kill you Rake, do you know how man—“ Reynard didn’t even finish his words, before Rake let out abit of a threatening growl at him.

Brothers in their pride were naturally violent, as lions it was actually a form of affection, and above all, warning. “I know the rules, Reynard, save the fucking lecture. I wouldn’t have done this if I didn’t know the consequences, but I don’t expect you to understand.

All you have is whores you impregnate, I’m not like you.” He let his grip slip from Lizzie just for a moment, before he pushed her forward ever so gently, and leaned her back against his chest, making Reynard have full view of the woman. “You’d be lying if you tell me this isn’t the most beautiful woman you’ve laid your eyes on. She’s ten times the lionesses in this tribe, Reynard. She’s my mate, like it or not.”

Lizzie extended her hand to Rake’s brother, Reynard. But the man just smirked at her and gave her a puzzled look before letting a loud snort escape his lips.

“She extends a hand, Rake… does she offer it to me as food? Or perhaps she thinks I will greet her with open arms?” Reynard then said.

Lizzie’s eyes widened at Reynard’s comments. Immediately, she brought her hand back to her side. She didn’t like this man very much. The way he looked at her and spoke to her made her uneasy. She leaned into Rake a little bit for comfort as the tension in the room increased.

Reynard seemed pleased to be making such a first impression and then leaned toward Lizzie, sniffing her, taking in her scent. Fear washed over her as he approached her. Rake seemed to sense her unease because he lashed out at his brother almost immediately.

“I’ll warn you now, Reynard… older brother or not, touch her, and I will make you regret the thought.” Lizzie could hear the growl in Rake’s voice as he spoke, the warning.

Reynard seemed to just brush off what Rake had said, as if his words didn’t matter to him. It made Lizzie that much more frightened of him. Again, she pressed herself closer to Rake, but Reynard ignored her reactions. He just continued to stalk and sniff at her.

Suddenly, Reynard’s eyebrow quirked up and he sniffed at Rake and then again at Lizzie. “Oh… this smell,” he began taking another sniff of the two of them. His face turned confused and he eyed them both before staring at Rake. “You imprinted on her? Did you really make this… human, your mate?” He blinked a few times. “Your scent covers her from head to toe… oh father will kill you, Rake. Do you know how man-.” But his words were cut off by Rake’s low, menacing growl.

Lizzie could feel her body shaking now. With each passing moment, she was finding that her dislike for Rake’s brother was growing, her fear of him increasing. She wanted to hide.

“I know the rules, Reynard, save the fucking lecture,” Rake then said in retaliation. “I wouldn’t have done this if I didn’t know the consequences, but I don’t expect you to understand,” his expression was extremely serious and he looked as though he were ready to swipe at anyone who dared come closer. “All you have is whores you impregnate, I’m not like you,” he then spat out as he shifted Lizzie’s position from next to him to in front of him. “You’d be lying if you tell me this isn’t the most beautiful woman you’ve laid your eyes on. She’s ten times the lionesses in this tribe, Reynard. She’s my mate, like it or not.”

Lizzie could hear the pride dripping off each word as Rake spoke of her. The way he saw her as beautiful, how he was proud to have her as his one and only mate. It made her feel warm despite the fear she felt for Reynard. Despite Rake’s confidence, she was terrified, her eyes fixed on the ground beneath her feet.

Lizzie didn’t even have to look up. She could feel Reynard approaching her once more. The tension was so thick it could be cut with a knife and the fear she felt inside was growing by leaps and bounds. Taking a shaky breath, she looked up at Reynard for the first time, focusing on Rake’s touch to help ease her mind as she did so. His face looked like he was trying to cast judgment upon her and it made her stomach feel queasy.

Smirking, Reynard spoke, “Sure she’s beautiful, but…” his voice trailed and he shook his head. He then took a firm hold of Lizzie’s chin, forcing her eyes to fix on his own. “Human,” he spat before another sly smile crossed his lips.

For a mere second, the one brief moment Reynard had extended his hand to touch Lizzie, he froze. The one moment that seemed to be a life time. If he would just touch her…if he would just dare speak a work of illness towards her…he knew it was over between him and his brother, it would not be the same. Yet the life time was only a moment, and Rake’s eyes turned from their light, blue color, to blood red. He cupped her chin and forced her to look up at him, above all he spat on her.

That was it, that was fucking it for Rake. Not only did he defy his request of not harming her, but demeaned her right in front of his face. He didn’t even finish the word, “human”, before Rake’s fist flew towards his face, and landed a straight, devastating punch right to his jaw, sending him tumbling to the floor backwards.

“You do that one more fucking time and I will make sure that damn jaw you spit with never opens again!”

“Geez…touchy touchy…so much for just a human, Rake…your asking for your own death.” Reynard slowly got back up to his feet, a little wobbly from the force of the punch. He wiped the blood flowing from his lips slowly, regaining his balance.

“And YOU are asking for yours, Reynard…this is your last fucking time, all she did was offer her greeting. Your pathetic, no better than the fucking wolves.” These words seemed to anger Reynard more than predicted.

“You compare me to the fucking dogs and bitches? Your own brother?!...Father will hear about this, expect a not so warm welcome, brother.” And with that, Reynard shape shifted into a rather red-skinned lion, running off immediately back into a village with speed much like Rake’s.

Rake’s breath was heavy, both with excitement, adrenaline, and fear. It was quick too, his injuries didn’t really help him with his recovery either. But regardless, he turned and leaned down for abit, wiping the spit away from her rosy, beautiful cheeks. He fell to his knees afterwards in abit of exhaustion, somewhat of a fever burning his forehead. “I’m sorry…I’m sorry…I let him touch you..” his words were filled with regret and disappointment, he might have just broken the promise he had made to her over and over again.

Lizzie looked down at Rake. Her heart was melting at his words, his actions. “No, Rake. You didn’t do anything wrong. You’ve nothing to be sorry about.” Smiling, she reached down and gently touched his cheek. It felt hot, like it was burning, to her finger tips. “Oh god!” she exclaimed.

Lizzie knelt down next to Rake, her hands touching his cheeks, his forehead, his neck. Every inch of his skin was burning up. And he was shivering, trying to hide them as he told her sorry over and over again.

“Rake,” Lizzie began. “What aren’t you telling me? You’re burning up!” Tears filled her golden eyes. “You need help. Something.”

Lizzie had no idea as to what to do. She didn’t trust Rake’s brother and based on what she’d heard, she didn’t trust his father either though she’d yet to meet him. Hell, she didn’t trust anyone in his pride, knew no one. She was at a loss.

Her face pleading, Lizzie looked into Rake’s eyes. “Please, tell me what I need to do, who I need to talk to. You need help. You’re sick or something.” Whimpering a little as she hugged Rake close, she whispered, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Rake didn’t move as she touched him, held every inch of his skin that she could, only to be shocked by his fever. Honestly Rake himself was in denial, he refused to believe he was sick, he refused to believe he was injured, that he over-did it with the fighting. She hugged him tightly suddenly as she kneeled down, asking him why he didn’t tell her.

She felt…soft, her skin comforting his head as he panted abit harder for a few moments, catching all the breath he can. “N-no…no I’m fine, really.” Rake was above everything, stubborn. His pride, his love, his feeling of disappointment in his own self refused to let him understand his condition. He slipped out of her arms slowly, and struggled to get to his feet. Slowly…inch by inch, little by little he rose, biting down on his lip to strengthen his struggle against the pain. Finally…after a few long moments, Rake stood, a smile quickly slipping on his face as he turned to Lizzie.

“See?...I to--..” And that was that….all the work, all the fighting, all the struggle to stand had vanished as his feet gave up on him, making him fall to his knees once again. Rake leaned down and supported himself on both his hands and knees, his head drooping to the ground as he took his pants harder, shaking his head quickly, asif trying to shake the fever off. Sweat was dripping from the sides of his face, his fever increasing its effects.

“Or..not..” he whispered his words now, unable to speak loudly. “There’s…a small oasis just a few steps east of here…we can go there for now, I-“ His words were interrupted by violent coughs, everything, stress, hardships, injuries, seemed to catch up with him at once. “I--..cant take you in the Village right away like this…I’m..” he struggled to say his final words, biting harder on his lip as he did so, a stream of blood flowing from the corner of his lip. “I’m too weak…”

Lizzie gasped as Rake fell to his knees. She could see that he was trying to be strong. For her, for himself. Shaking her head slightly she chuckled nervous and then said aloud, “Men. You’re all alike no matter what you are or where you come from.”

Rake looked at Lizzie sheepishly, but she wasn’t angry. Far from it. She was worried for him and didn’t like seeing him in pain of any kind. As he coughed, she wrapped her arms around him and helped him back up to his feet.

“Come on, we have to get you to that oasis before you no longer have the strength to walk. I won’t be able to carry you, like you did me.” Lizzie gently touched Rake’s face, trying her best to show him love and comfort.

Slowly, they headed eastward to the oasis. It was fairly well hidden. Lizzie had to push aside a thick sheet of tangling vines in order for she and Rake to enter it. It was as if they were its own protective wall, keeping it a secret from anyone who dared try and seek it out.

Lizzie saw a clearing that was luckily covered by a large rock jutting out from a tall rock-face that seemed to connect to a large sloping hillside. It was perfect. Carefully, she helped Rake lie down underneath the rock cover. A few feet away was a small pool of water. Grabbing a large rubbery leaf from one of the many plants surrounding them, she folded it and filled it up with water. She brought the water back to Rake.

“Here, drink this,” Lizzie said as she gently caressed Rake’s face. “I’ll take care of you. I’ll make sure you’re better.” She gave him a reassuring smile, though inside she was screaming in pain.

When Rake finished the water, she removed her hoodie and folded it up, making a sort of pillow for his head. She placed it underneath his head and smiled.

“Hopefully that’ll feel more comfortable,” Lizzie said as she helped Rake lie in a more comfortable position.

Biting her lip, Lizzie wondered what exactly was wrong with Rake. He’d been injured in his fight with the wolf and had somehow managed to keep his pain hidden. But after making love to her twice, carrying her all the way to his village and then fighting with his brother… it just had been too much. And she felt responsible.

Lizzie looked into Rake’s drowsy eyes and then leaned down to kiss him. She moved her lips tenderly over his, giving them a soft lick before pulling away.

“Where are you hurt, Rake? Please, tell me,” Lizzie pleaded.

Rake couldn’t help but blush lightly in embarrassment as she made her comments about men, it was honestly all true but…he’d never admit it. Slowly she helped him up to his feet, touching him gently to show him her love and affection. His pants softened abit now that he had her to lean on, and gave her a gentle nod as she started to walk. “I wont be able to carry you like you carried me.”

The words echoed through Rake’s ears…if he were to fall, he would put her in danger…no, he couldn’t. They made their way through the thick vines and branches, one after another after another. But finally, the light at the end of the tunnel. The final branch was pushed away, and they reached the oasis. She immediately found a place of shade, and walked to set him down under a large rock slowly. He blinked abit as he took in his surroundings, her image vibrating in his eyes as she took herself away from him to get the water.

“Don’t…wait..” Small words, mumbles of small resistance escaped her lips. He didn’t want her to go anywhere without him, he didn’t know what was out there that he needed to protect her from. But she returned, and slipped the leaf filled with water to his lips. He did his best to drink all that he could, the stray water dripping down the corners of his lips as he couldn’t take it all in. “Ill take care of you…don’t worry.” She said, and it made him smile sadly at her, wasn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Rake finished his water, and she suddenly took off her hoody, using it as a pillow to place under his hand as she laid him down softly.

She leaned down afterwards, and placed a soft, affectionate kiss against his lips, that he returned the best he could. She parted finally after an affectionate lick, and asked what the problem was. Rake looked to the side for a moment, as if trying to get a feel of things. His eyes were half open, unable to sleep yet unable to keep them open either. His hand struggled to reach up, and place itself on her cheek gently, caressing it with his thumb softly.

“T-the problem is…that you might be hurt and…you’ll…get cold without your hoodie.” Despite his injuries and fever, he still wanted to throw his sense of humor in, the little concern about the jacket and the cold, in this blistering heat was un-existent, but it served its purpose in making her smile. “I’m scared…” he finally muttered out at her, leaning her in closer to him. “I’m scared…something will take you away from me.” His words were mumbles, but understandable, not much at all but plain, honest truth in them.

Lizzie ran her fingers lightly through Rake’s mussed up hair. She smiled down at him and tilted her head a little.

“Nothing will take me away from you, Rake.” Lizzie paused a moment as if deep in thought. “Except death,” she then added. “Only death will keep me away from you. No matter what I will stay with you or try my best to get to you if something or someone separates us.” She could feel her eyes prickling with tears, so she looked away and at the pool of water for a moment as she composed herself. “But we’ll both do what we can to make sure that won’t happen, right?” She tried to make her voice sound light, like it had no doubts whatsoever.

Lizzie could tell that Rake wasn’t convinced, but she wasn’t about to bring that up. It would only upset him, or so she thought anyway. So, she ignored his expression and leaned down to give him another kiss on the lips, her hands gently touching the sides of his face as took in the feel of mouths touching each others in the most affectionate of ways.

When Lizzie pulled away once more, she began to inspect Rake’s body more closely. She was looking for signs of injury. Anything that could help give her a clue as to what was wrong with him. He had a few scrapes from his earlier fights, but nothing that she thought would cause him this much trouble.

“You have internal injuries, don’t you,” Lizzie said plainly. “Where?” she asked, though her tone was more of a demand than a question.

Lizzie wanted to help Rake and the only way to do so was to know what the problem was. Then and only then could she even remotely try and help him recover. But he was being so stubborn.

Leaning down next to Rake, so that her cheek touched his, she whispered into his ear, “Please tell me where it hurts. Tell me where you’re injured.” She could feel the tears trying to form in her eyes once again. One tear spilled down her cheek, wetting Rake’s cheek as well. She knew he felt it, but she didn’t care at this point. She just wanted to do what she needed do to make him better, to help him heal. “Please, my love. Please tell me.”

Rake smiled brightly at her words for just a moment, all he needed was re-assurance…all he wanted was for her to be with him, to not leave him for a second. “Except death”. She said…the words would never leave his mind, there was no chance in hell…as sick, as feverish, as horrified as he was, that he would let her be harmed.

“I love you…” he whispered in response as she leaned down and pressed another affectionate kiss against his lips, her hand caressing his cheek as it wandered by the locked lips. His own didn’t even seem to require the effort, automatically they responded to her touch, their tongues meeting for moments within the kiss. He watched her as she pulled away gently, and asked her question about the internal injuries.

Rake frowned for a moment, It was somewhat clear to him what was wrong…in fact, he knew what was wrong, but he couldn’t tell her…how weak would he be in front of her, how sad he would look to promise so much and not measure up to anything he said. She laid down next to him closely, enough that her cheek touched his own, enough that he felt the tear roll down her eye as she begged him for an answer.

Rake rubbed his cheek softly against her own for a few long moments, much as lions do for affection. He just took in her touch, her smell, her soft skin against his own. But afterwards, he turned his head to face her. His lips were close enough to brush against her own as he spoke, his eyes meeting with her own as his feverish, red face gave off a handsome smile towards her. He kissed her…small kisses, over and over against her lips as he smiled, just whispering his words finally.

“It’s okay…beauty…I’ll be fine with just some rest…but I need you to stay with me, I don’t…I cant risk leaving you alone…please, if you were to ever do anything I ask…stay here with me…do not leave my touch.”

Lizzie sat up, her heart twisting. Rake was being so stubborn. She felt useless, helpless. All she wanted to do was to help him recover from whatever his problem might be. She didn’t care that he’d gotten injured, that it was affecting him so greatly. She just wanted for him to allow her to help him. To show trust in her, belief in her.

Taking a hold of Rake’s hand, Lizzie heaved a heavy sigh. “Rake,” she began. “Don’t make me feel useless or helpless or hopeless.” She let go of his hand and got up onto her knees, looking him squarely in the eye. “Don’t do that to me. I’m not some stupid woman who will just idly sit by and watch you suffer. It’s just not going to happen.”

Lizzie didn’t want to sound harsh, but Rake’s stubbornness was frustrating her. If she wasn’t so concerned for his health and well being, she wouldn’t have minded in the slightest, would’ve played back into his game. But with him coughing and feeling feverish? Now just was not the time.

“So don’t treat me like I’m incapable of doing anything. I’ll have you know that I am. I’m quite capable.” Lizzie could feel her cheeks flush as she spoke. “I know I’m not a true lioness, but please…” her voice trailed. “Please don’t treat me like I’m stupid and unable to do something when I very well know that I can.”

Lizzie hoped her words affected Rake. She really didn’t want to sound cruel, but she needed him to know how serious she was. How much she wanted and needed to help him during his time of need.

Biting her lip, Lizzie then said, “Don’t you trust me, Rake? Don’t you believe I can help you?” She knew saying such things would strike a chord in him. And she hoped that he truly understood the meaning behind those words, that it meant she loved him deeply and that she wanted him to truly let her into his heart, his soul, his everything in every way imaginable.

Lizzie got up on her knees and faced him, face to face as her actions surprised him abit. But no, they were nothing compared to her words. Every harsh question, every flush on her face, every tear in her eye was pain to him worse than he had ever felt. She doubted his love, she asked if he trusted her, and he felt a knife being driven through his heart by the mere way they were presented to him.

“I didn’t..!..” he stopped for a moment, pausing as for the first time, he flustered and seemed at a loss of words. A tear of both pain and the fever rolled down the corner of his eyes, and immediately, without even hesitating, lifted himself to sit up, and pull her in the tightest hug he’d given her so far, despite his injuries.

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry I…I didn’t mean it like that…I don’t think your stupid or weak…you’re the most beautiful, elegant, capable mate anyone could ask for…Lizzie I can’t live without you…if you go, you take my heart with you.” He paused once again and buried his face in her neck, affectionately kissing it over and over. His fevered lips leaving a trail or nips and bites against her neck.

“Those words…hurt so much more than I thought anything could…if there is an ounce of strength left in me, I will use it to prove to you how much I need you…” his hair fell back over his shoulder, and his hand raised so that he held her cheek once more. He tilted his head so he faced her, his warm forehead leaning against her own as their lips touched while he spoke. “I’m just…not used to asking for help I guess…I don’t want to look…so weak and sad in front of the woman I would give my life for…it’s just pathetic…I don’t want you to lose your confidence in me…please”

“Rake,” Lizzie began, her voice soothing. “I will never lose confidence in you. You’re my love, my mate. My everything.” Her voice trembled a little. “I just wish you wouldn’t lose your confidence in me.”

Lizzie brought her arms up and around Rake’s neck and kissed him. She didn’t even try to hide her small sobs.

“It would mean the world to me if you would just let me help you. Please.” Again there was that pleading tone in Lizzie’s voice. But she chose her words carefully. She felt bad, in a way, for doing so. But she needed him to cooperate.

Pulling away again, Lizzie looked into Rake’s eyes. Her golden ones were red-rimmed and watery. She knew she looked a mess. She felt a mess. And her heart was racing due to the fear of not knowing what to do at the moment to help her love, her mate.

Lizzie closed her eyes and sighed shakily. “Please ask for my help, Rake. Show me you have confidence in me. Confidence in us.” She paused. “No matter the problem, I will always love you, be here for you. I will always be your mate. I could never love another as I do you. Please believe me when I say that. Believe me and let me help you.” Her words were a desperate demand as she spoke them. Looking into Rake’s eyes, she could only hope that he’d finally open up to her.

Back
Top Bottom