Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Thief Who Only Borrows (DontxBlinkk)

The royals remained through the whole practice, paying bits of attention to each of the knights as they stepped back for small breaks or were out on the field. Zachary was pleased in many ways, but one in particular was that Cain himself had taken some time to work with him. He was no where near ready to lead an army or do any sort of fighting, but he had many years ahead of him to tone his skills, forming him to grow into a proper king by when it came time for him to take over the kingdom. When Cain asked at the end of the practice, his excitement had dropped slightly, but he was still as joyful as a young teenager could ever be about what had happened. He didn't last long though and quickly excused himself away to go back to his proper lessons, which should have been going on instead of him playing with the knights. Something clicked in Celia's mind as well and, with a quick peck to Christoph's cheek, she raced back into the palace.

Arianna watched the two leave and quickly rolled her eyes with a sigh. She knew her siblings were horrible about attending their lessons when it came to knights and training, obviously both for different reasons, but she never expected them to be addicted enough to forget about what time their lessons actually started. She wasn't saying she was exactly a saint either, but at least Arianna knew where she had to be when she had to be there. She would just simply blow it off. "It seems like Caleb's doing well," she commented, reaching back to remove her hair from the bundle it was tied into earlier that morning. It didn't take long for her to untangle her hair as she spoke and quickly re-braid it with skill and perfect accuracy, letting it fall down her back again. "I'd imagine in a few years he'd be ready to fight for an actual ranking title. Or if you stick to training him, he has a chance of getting it sooner... most likely. But the rest was quite impressive. I never knew you knights were worked that hard." It might have just been the life she was raised in, but Arianna could never imagine having to go through those same sparring exercises each day, expecting to do better each time. Of course, all the knights here were men and they could take more, but in the beginning, she had the feeling they were in the same boat she was. "I know I wouldn't make it for very long. My muscles are already taking their revenge."

Cain was happy that everyone enjoyed themselves for whatever reason, but he was ultimately more at ease when it was only himself and Arianna, knowing it would be a much more casual conversation then. "Caleb is a fine trainee from what I have seen, hard working and good at following orders. I will have to see if he is officer material but as far as becoming a knight, I think he will be fine." He was sure it would be in Caleb's future to become a knight but it would be awhile before he found out the man's full potential. He was more interested in the princess though, her soft life may have given her little endurance but she had the talent and he was more interested in her than ever, he wanted to learn more. "Oh and before you get too impressed, we do not train every single day, we train about four days a week and even then it is only partial sessions like this one today, the longer are rare for full-fledged knights and trainees. The rest of the time we alternate knights between extra duties or time off for them to do whatever they wish." They did train a lot but being on missions and in actual combat was the real training, especially at a certain point which all of the people who made it to be a knight had already reached.

Cain shook his head, moving a bit closer to Arianna now that they were alone and looked her over, not in a creepy or odd manner, and then spoke with a confident voice. "You may be sore but I think you would do fine if you needed to, you have a talent for it and you definitely have the spirit." He took a moment, no longer eyeing her up, and then nodded to himself, she would definitely make it. He couldn't help but think it would be nice to have a bunch of beautiful knights like Arianna around, but that was a dream, few females had ever wanted to be a knight and even fewer had succeeded even with skill in any kingdom. Cain didn't much care for the politics of it all, but he had a feeling Arianna could be one of the few if she wished, if she hadn't been born a princess. "Anyways, before I try and convince you to serve under me I think a change in topic is in order. I am hungry and probably going to get a bite to eat, if you would care to join me I would enjoy the company, though if you have other things planned I do understand." Cain wasn't sure what to say other than that, it was bold for someone of his stature to ask a princess to dine with him, but he did with a good deal of confidence as a friend, wanting to try and make it seem like a normal friendship even if there were quite a few risks involved with doing so.

A small smile played on the blonde's lips as Cain tried to change the topic. He seemed to be calm, but something about him was off. The princess quickly shrugged it off with a full on smile. "Nothing planned," she informed him calmly, glancing quickly to the palace beside them. "Unlike my siblings, I don't have much to do during the day. I finished my lessons years ago." It was now Arianna's job to entertain visiting princes and take trips to other kingdoms and into the city to attempt to charm those who lived outside the palace walls. And what better way to do so than to visit with a knight. "I must make a quick stop in my room before we go anywhere." There was no need for her to have her normal belt or pouches when training so she kept them all in her room, but to leave the castle, it was helpful to have. Luckily for them, it was just a few feet away from the normal path out of the palace.

Arianna bit her tongue to keep her from making a comment and running the risk of embarrassing both members of the conversation. It would be smarter for her if she didn't suggest the man come with her, but she wasn't about to stop him if he ended up following her or the idea came up. "If you wouldn't mind waiting another minute or two to get food. It won't take long. Why, do you have another tavern in mind? Or did you simply miss my company after we parted last night?"

Cain would have to be careful as not to sound too forward when he was talking to Arianna, inviting her to train being one thing, inviting her to lunch being something entirely different. "I don't mind waiting at all, I am in no rush." He paused for a moment when she inquired to why but simply shrugged and answered honestly, knowing he had to pick his words carefully but not about to play it too cool, he would only seem to be lying if he did. "I enjoyed yesterday, your company made it better and I was thinking it would be nice to share your company again today. Of course I have no idea where I am going yet but I believe we can figure out a place along the way, perhaps your choice this time since you put up with my choice yesterday." Cain admitted straight out to wishing to spent more time with her and he was sure anybody who had the pleasure would agree that her company was pleasant. Of course there was a limit, asking her out to lunch again was one thing but he found himself thinking it would be best to try and avoid situations similar to the walk in the garden, his sense of duty and honor wouldn't last forever if he was alone with the beautiful woman and he didn't want to risk more close encounters if he could help it.

Cain knew if invited somewhere after lunch that he wouldn't deny Arianna, he had nothing to do until nightfall, his current assignment dealing with the thief not allowing for any work during the day. Him having so much free time during the day was the most dangerous part, it gave him no excuse to deny himself a good time with a new friend. He would deal with that as it came though, for the time being lunch was the only thing on the agenda and he was going to try not to fret over what could happen, because plenty could even if little would. "I can wait for you by the gate into the city. Just meet me there when you are done preparing and we can go." Cain gave a small smile and then began to walk off towards the gate, turning as he did and saying one more thing to the princess, "Oh, and don't make me wait too long." He gave a small laugh before spinning back around and continuing on, he would wait for as long as he needed, and not only because he didn't have anything to do but because he was already looking forward to lunch with the princess, the knight's extraordinary mood still very much intact.

The princess had no intent on making the man wait any longer than he should need to. Only moments after he went towards the gate, Arianna started to her bedroom, grabbing her abandoned brown belt off her bed, securing both it and the small pouches around her waist before she left the room again. Although she avoided people on the way to her room, on the way back trouble came. Her mother had nearly narrowed her into a corner, attempting to convince her to take some long trip to a neighbouring kingdom to visit yet another prince. Arianna was attempting to make it obvious that she wasn't interested in doing such thing while still being polite. Soon enough, she had the opportunity to slip away from the pushy queen when she was called over by a visiting noble. Without wasting a minute or saying another word, the princess escaped her mother's reach. That meant she took longer inside than what she meant to.

She left the large entrance doors and glanced back as the guards shut them behind her, checking for her mother who she half expected to be following her out of the building. After a few steps backwards, the princess turned around and flashed a small smile at the sight of the knight. "My mother caught me," she told him with a slight roll of her eyes as she came up in front of him. "Let's get out of here before she comes after me."

Cain quickly found himself at the gate, not having to stop and talk to anybody even though he did smile and nod to a couple of people, including the Queen. He had never really talked to the Queen, a few words but not a real conversation, though what Arianna had said and what he had seen over the years gave him an idea of what type of person she was and if he was correct it was impressive. It must have been where Arianna got it from, the strong side she showed with such ease, it wouldn't be a surprise to Cain at all. Once at the gate it was relatively uneventful, Cain simply leaned against a wall and waited. If there was one thing he could do it was wait though, the countless hours spent on scouting duty or lookout detail made a few extra minutes seem like nothing. So when Arianna finally arrived, even with it taking more time than she had originally said it would, he wasn't bothered. In fact when she said it was her mother who caught her he couldn't help but let out a small laugh. "I saw your mother on my way out, guess she was coming for you at that time." The Queen had looked as if she were on a mission when she passed Cain, it seemed the princess had been on the receiving end of that look and it was an amusing thought indeed.

The knight didn't dwell or hesitate to leave the gate, not only so the Queen wouldn't catch them but because he was actually a bit hungry, his eating habits not quite stabilized since he came back to the castle. As the two of them left the gate and headed into the first part of the city he took a moment, enjoying the sunlight and the warmth that came with it, a pleasure that had been missed on the front lines. It had probably been the same the day before but he hadn't really felt it, he had been too distant, too bothered by the nightmares and pain to enjoy something so normal. "So princess, are you going to pick today's lunch location or shall I lead you to another small and rather 'interesting' spot?" He didn't really have many more places he would go and he had never antiquated himself with the upper cities selection to truthfully if she wanted him to pick again it would be a gamble. Then again anything was probably a gamble at the moment in some sense or another, as people still gave her a plethora of attention, even if she had been out in the city only the day before, he had almost forgotten that he needed to be vigilant and be careful not to act overly friendly, at least not while people were watching.

The princess didn't waste any time waiting inside the gates. The guards standing at the opening allowed the two to pass with no issues, giving small, polite nods to the princess as she passed them. As soon as they left the protecting walls, Arianna's shoulders sagged slightly into a more relaxed position as they walked through the streets. Those who saw her seemed to be caught off guard slightly; it was rare for a princess to wear anything but the typical long dresses when visiting anyone outside of the palace, so to see her in anything but surprised many of them. But Arianna didn't seem to be phase by their looks, or anything for that matter. She was more interested in getting into the sun and out of her home. "Let's do some exploring today," she suggested, her attention already being grabbed by the busy streets. "Christoph mentioned something about marketplace opening up. They should have some sort of treats there." She wasn't sure where it would be located, but a few places were beginning to go through her mind as possible places.

While they looked, Arianna brought up her mother again. It wasn't the most common thing for her to do, but before she could stop herself or fall back into her normal habits, the words had already come out. "She wants me to visit some prince nearby," she told the knight, the volume of her voice dropping slightly to keep the rumours down an out of pure dislike for the idea. "He's getting near the time to take over and they're in desperate need of a marriage to distract their kingdom from their recent problems." Her eyes travelled upwards into a small set up of nearby trees out of the local plant nursery. "Guess I'd be of good enough use for them to get what they want."

The idea of exploring didn't sound bad at all to Cain, he wouldn't mind going around for a bit with the day being as nice as it was. Besides, he hadn't been to the cities market in some time and he knew from past experiences that one could find something special on occasion, especially when it came to fresh foods. "You are right, we could most certainly find something special in the market, and the scenery will be much more pleasant than some stuffy inn." Cain wasn't sure where the market would be so he simply followed Arianna, walking with her as they moved through the crowds of people. Quite a few seemed curious about the two of them, perhaps not only because they were together but because they were both wearing different outfits than usual. Arianna wasn't in a long elegant dress and Cain wasn't in his armor, they seemed much more normal and casual than they would have on an average day like the day before. It didn't bother Cain and it didn't seem to bother Arianna, the perks far outweighing how people viewed the two. Mainly the comfort, Cain was far more comfortable in the current outfit without the armor and that was important with his wounds, and he was sure wearing her current outfit was more comfortable for Arianna as well.

So he focused on their conversation instead, curious what she thought about visiting a nearby prince, something she quickly made clear. "It seems you don't much like that idea. I can't much say I blame you, it must be an annoying process since the only reason they request such a thing is for their own reason, or superficial reasons." It made sense that it would be awkward or annoying to go to another country and meet a prince, there was no way they could be asking because they liked the person, that was impossible since they didn't know her. That would be especially true with Arianna, Cain had seen the real her and nobody would figure that out until actually meeting her. Of course it was just like picking someone up at a tavern or randomly, you picked them due to attractiveness, personality either didn't matter or came later. "Then again I suppose it can't be easy, royalty always marries someone of status so pickings are slim..." It was another truth, it wasn't like she had many options that would please society, thus the stories about royalty falling in love with a commoner, but that wasn't reality. "The question is, is it worth going to the different countries in hope that you find someone you can fall in love with?" He was simply making conversation as they walked, not really paying that much attention to anything else besides Arianna.

Arianna let out a small sigh. "That's the problem, Cain," she responded. "If I went to the country, even for a short visit, I would almost be agreeing to the marriage straight out. And then there would be no time to look for love, or anything of the sort." If she went, even without agreeing before hand, the topic and plans for a wedding would begin anyway without giving the princess a chance to say anything different. "The options may be slim, but there's been odd cases in the past." Not necessarily in their kingdom, or not that was recorded well, but in other kingdoms in the area there were plenty of examples and cases when marrying below the royal title really worked out for not only the royal but the kingdom as well. "I just have to convince my mother to let me arrange things."

Marriage was always a touchy subject with this princess in particular, which is why it was rarely spoken of around her. Sure there were rumours, but no one had the opportunity to speak to her about such a thing. Arianna tensed once again before the sounds and smells of a marketplace met her senses. "I think we found it," she added with a quick, much appreciated change of topic. If the man felt the need to bring the topic up again, Arianna wouldn't be rude and turn it down, but she was quite hungry and could imagine he was as well. She turned the corner onto another, wider road which opened into a large courtyard full of people, smells and a variety of sounds.

Just like in the gardens, there was a large fountain in the middle of the square which the shops were now surrounding. Shops of all kinds were set up from what seemed to be nowhere, selling items from even the furthest reaches of the country. Canvas tents of many different colours were spread out in the perfect set up to display what every single stand had to sell to the public. Several musicians had taken a place in the middle around the fountain, entertaining not only children but everyone who was watching while a few magicians had spread themselves out between stalls and crowds to entertain all who cared to watch. The smells of well travelled cooks brought a flavourful air to the entire area, along with many streets in the surrounding area, drawing people into the courtyard in hopes to sell both their goods and those to the people beside them.

Arianna paused, letting her eyes travel around the sight in front of her. There had been many of these in the past which came by, but each time, there was another thing that had come up, taking away her chance to see such a thing. Now that she made her way out to the travelling show, she was certain she would enjoy it.

Cain could tell the marriage conversation was not one Arianna felt like having, though he could understand that after hearing what she had to say, it was a burden he was sure. Though mention of odd cases made Cain wonder if the princess had someone in mind, regardless he wished her well in the endeavor to convince her mother to honor her wishes, even if he knew better than to continue the conversation. While he didn't say anything else he did find himself curious, going through possibilities in his head mostly for fun, as he hadn't been around long enough to hear any rumors. Their arrival at the market took Cain's attention, the smells and sounds rather dominant and impossible to ignore. Cain began to think of food, the smells sparking interest as some were recognizable, making his mouth water a bit. The knight was still craving many foods he hadn't eaten in awhile and he was always willing to try something new, the market seemed like the perfect place for that. "I think we have and I believe we are going to find something very delicious by the smell of things." Cain looked over to Arianna with a small smile, "What do you feel like eating, something sweet or savory hmm?"

While Cain knew the market wasn't all about food that was the first thing on his mind, and his stomach, so that was going to take priority for him. He would take some time to explore all of the other attractions afterwards, especially if Arianna wanted to look around. As he looked at the princess Cain knew that it would be the case, she seemed very interested in all of the attractions around them and he wouldn't deny it to her. It would be fun, going around with Arianna, as long as he was careful not to mention another touchy subject. "After we grab something to eat let's walk around, we can explore all of the sights and enjoy the afternoon. Now come on, let's get in there and have some fun." Cain decided to bring up traveling around the square a bit to the princess, not wanting to make it seem like he wanted to rush anywhere, though he did slip in that he would like to get something to sate his hunger before they roamed around. With that he took her hand and led her for a bit, not pulling but not wanting to be separated, protecting her still part of his duties even as a friend. "See anything interesting?" He asked as they walked, though he did release her hand as they got to the thinner crowded areas, not wanting it to become uncomfortable.

Arianna didn't waste much time at the opening to the market. As soon as she felt Cain take her hand, she stepped forward with him, beginning to search out what attracted her senses the most. There certainly was plenty of food in the area, but there was something that was grabbing her attention over everything else. What it was exactly threw the princess off, but she knew it wouldn't take very long to find. This was one of the few times that she allowed her stomach to take control over her mind. She barely noticed the loss of contact with the man as they came into a lighter area, opening to the delicious smell of a warm, fresh pasty. The princess paused again as both her eyes and stomach settled on the food before glancing to the man beside her. It was rare for any of the royals to eat outside of the palace or away from their trusted cooks. But the food in front of her tasted far too good to turn away for something as silly as the risk of poison. She broke the contact with the man again and glanced around here. There were plenty of people eating food from the stand in front of her and none seemed to be showing any poof of danger in the food and by now, there would be reports if there was a problem. Arianna glanced back in front of her, her fingers opening the pouch at her waist enough to reach inside and pull out a few small pieces of the bright, silver tender she would need.

"I found what I'm after," she commented with a smile, breaking away from Cain just enough to approach the stand. It didn't take more than a second for the woman behind the counter to realize Arianna was at their stand.

She seemed shocked, stammering as Arianna request one of the folded pastries, but after regaining herself, she took a fresh one from the display they had set up on the wooden table. Before she could say another word, the princess held out the coins for the pocketed food and quickly insisted she take it. Arianna wasn't about to take free food from one of the shops unless she knew they didn't need the money. The woman was grateful, taking the money with a pleased smile as the cook watched their new customer turn away, glancing back to Cain with a small smile, although her stomach was fighting her urge to wait for the man to get his own food.

"They smell wonderful, don't they?"

Arianna seemed to lock on to something in the market quite quickly and it was so interesting that Cain simply stood and watched her. She was quite cute from the look on her face to the manner in which she approached the stand, seeming to almost worship the food she was about to eat, picking one and marveling at it. Cain could definitely smell the pastry as well, though he would leave the pursuit of that particular good to Arianna, his eye having been caught moments before she approached the stand by a more substantial meal, though he was sure a sweet would get his attention before they left the market. He was still being vigilant for the time being, though he was more looking at the reactions from the shop owners and the continued reverence Arianna paid to the treat. Cain assumed she didn't get such things often, the idea that her parents would allow her street food when they were so protective not likely. Of course nothing could ruin the princess' manners or charisma, the people behind the counter getting to see it first hand as she insisted on paying and gave them a heavy dose of her natural charm. Cain simply smiled as she came back from the stand, "Yes they do smell quite delicious, I hope it tastes good and you enjoy it. I have my eye on something a little different, give me one moment."

Cain turned and walked over to a stand just a small bit away from the pastry stand, turning back every once in awhile to make sure Arianna was fine. That was until he reached his destination, a stand selling skewered meats and vegetables grilled over a fire. The knight quickly paid for a large wooden skewer loaded with meat and veges, the man thanking the owners before turning and leaving, and while they didn't seem as amazed as the pastry shop owners, they were surprised to see the commander. Cain had his prize though and he didn't care about much else, he just returned to Arianna side and waved it around a bit, letting the intoxicating smell fill her nostrils as if bragging. "Now that we both have our treats lets see what there is to see." He took a bite off the skewer before turning and looking around, his eyes going from attraction to attraction, from musical troupes and magicians to puppeteers and games. In fact he noticed quite a few things that seemed fun and it was hard to decide, so he turned back to Arianna to see what she had in mind. "What do you think, so many attractions, which should we go to first, perhaps a magician, or a puppet show?" Just having the decisions was a nice change, being able to do something besides sit around a fire and throw dice with rough mouthed soldiers.

Arianna watched as Cain left to the other stand, but she figured he wouldn't be too upset if she bit into the meat-filled pastry before he returned. While the skewers smelt quite good, they simply weren't what she wanted and certainly weren't set up to be eaten by anyone attempting to be a lady in any stretch of the imagination. She would settle on the meal she had bought, which she was enjoying with just the first bite. The even mixture of vegetables to meat was exactly what she wanted. When the knight returned, Arianna responded to his bragging motion by quickly sticking out her tongue in a childish manor. Her own lunch was good enough for her and nothing Cain could do would change her mind about such a thing. Now that her hunger was being appeased, it was easier for her to pick out some sort of entertainment to watch.

There seemed to be plenty out there and quite a few things were beginning to interest her. She smiled slightly and gestured towards one of the magicians who had now claimed the crowd around the fountain as his own, much to the musician's dislike. "He looks entertaining." Keeping half an eye on Cain, Arianna inched through the crowd towards the man, standing at the back of his audience watching between several people as he did he simplest of tricks while still entertaining those who had gathered to watch. Arianna seemed to be just as pleased as the rest who were watching, although Arianna was careful to keep her excitement at a minimum for as long she could while still enjoying he show. When he finished, the band nearly pushed him off the thick ledge to regain control of the audience around them. The princess glanced to the man beside her, turning her body slightly. "Your pick now, I suppose."

Cain raised an eyebrow when Arianna stuck her tongue out, laughing a few seconds later as he shook his head, "Perfect princess... People just don't know." He didn't say it in a hurtful way, just the opposite, he was pleased with the true her, and while he didn't say it he was thinking that while she wasn't the perfect princess she was close to the perfect woman, at least to him, smart, funny, beautiful. He shook his head and took a deep breath, he had to be careful, the thoughts weren't going away and his mood made it even more dominant a thought. He followed her as she approached one of the many entertainers, both of them eating away, Cain enjoying his skewer and Arianna her pastry. It had been worth every bit of silver he had paid and if he didn't find something else he would have to grab another before he left, though he was sure he would find something else to try out before the end. He continued to watch the magician Arianna had led them to after he finished his food, holding on to the skewer and spinning it around a bit as he watched the show. He wasn't the biggest magic fan but the magician was good and he was entertaining, though the best part for Cain was seeing the person practically pushed off the stage at the end, similar to a comedy which was one of his favorite things.

The end of his show signaled the musicians start and he shrugged that off, he could find something better than that for the two of them to watch. "Alright then, follow me and let's see what we can find. The question is, puppet show or fire jugglers..." Those were two he had seen which sounded the most entertaining, the puppet show being a more crude comedy type that would have them in stitches if it was a good one, which he was sure it was. Of course as he gave it a moment of thought he knew it would be bad to have the princess laughing at such things in front of people. "Fire jugglers it is." He said finally, turning and walking in the direction of the show, the flames being seen over the crowd and apparently the set had just started. He made sure to find them some good spots, near the front but not so close that the flames would heat them up, and he made sure to pick a spot with some wiggle room. When they got to the spot he ignored the eyes on them and focused on the performers, the several jugglers starting with some basic throws and spins before going into the more difficult techniques. The crowd was going wild for the group and Cain was enjoying it, though he did look over to Arianna, not going to stay if the show didn't appeal to her.

There wasn't much of a debate from the princess, who settled on following the man to the next show. She overheard the puppet's show nearby and was quickly grateful the man didn't choose that style of show. The last thing she felt like dealing with was being caught laughing at one of their not only immature but improper jokes. The fire juggler would be a far better choice for the two to watch. Following beside the knight, Arianna glanced to the stands they passed but stopped and turned to the performers as they approached. As the show picked up, more people came over but luckily there were several people around them who made sure to keep the pressing crowd away from the princess and her guardian. Arianna didn't feel the need to take up more room then needed, so she took a small step to the side towards Cain, giving a bit more space for the people around them.

The jugglers went through their routine, calling up an assistant or two to juggle around, showing off their skills to all who would care to watch. Arianna seemed to have a permanent smile on her lips throughout the whole show, not only enjoying it, but quite interested in what they were doing. It looked as if she had a new thing to add to her list of firsts, thanks to Cain and his suggestions. Not only that, but Arianna was getting a chance to get out of the castle and spend time with someone who was actually interesting to her. She continued to watch the show, almost afraid to look away from the man, too caught up in the show to really want to do anything else or even pay attention to what else might be happening around her. She left it to Cain to pay more attention to their surroundings than she could at that moment.

It wasn't until the end of the show that the princess broke eye contact with the performers, looking to the people standing around her. They all seemed to have enjoyed the show just as much as she had and soon enough, she looked at the knight beside her to judge his expression as well.

The way even the regular people seemed to protect Arianna, even if it was only by forming a slight barrier, was amazing and it showed how much they truly respected her. It also made Cain's job easier, he could watch over her without missing the show and best of all it gave some breathing room, a perk to be sure. Of course the respect shown was relevant, people still wanted their own space and so when Arianna got closer to Cain they all got a bit closer as well, even if they did leave her some room in the end. None of that really mattered, when it came down to it they were there to enjoy a show and that was easy to do with the level of skill and intrigue the jugglers had. While Cain was watching out for threats or anything of the sort, towards both the princess and himself, he was keeping a close eye on the show, finding it personally entertaining. The best part of the entire thing was the smile on Arianna's face, she seemed to enjoy it and that made it all worth it, especially since for her this was all new, and he was glad to help her experience anything she wanted. He would protect that smile if he could, it was his duty as a knight, and one he was more than happy to fulfill.

By the end of the performance he was staring intensely, absorbed in the show. The more advanced techniques seemed almost impossible and while Cain had been around danger the stunts seemed to be close calls every single time, though that was what made them so impressive. He looked over to Arianna when it ended, a smile on his face and an impressed look present. "They were on fire huh..." He knew it was a horrible joke but he couldn't help it, letting out a small laugh for himself due to the ridiculousness. "Seriously though, I am impressed, did you enjoy it?" He knew she had, the expression on her face during the performance had told him all he needed to know but that was neither here nor there, he wanted to hear it from her. He just wondered if there was anything else in the market that day which would compare, or maybe something even better. He would leave it up to Arianna to find their next little event, they still had some time and he was content spending it roaming market, though he would have been just as happy strolling about and making pleasant conversation, whatever they did seemed fine, Arianna making everything a bit more interesting in some way or another.

Arianna's smile grew ever so slightly as she told him her opinion. "One of the most interesting things I've seen in a while," she confessed, waiting until the crow died down before she made her way away from the stage, heading back towards the outer limits of the marketplace itself to look at some of the goods that had been set out for sale in the area. By now, word of their arrival had spread and the shop keepers weren't stunned by their approach, but they were still pleased to see they had come to their stand. Arianna's eyes drifted over several of the goods laid out on the tables at one in particular which held some downright beautiful necklaces made from both silver and gold with a variation of stones and pendants hanging from the chains. There were a few the woman's eyes seemed to be lingering over, but she broke away with a small smile to the owner, stepping back slightly. "It's amazing the talent that can be found in the kingdom," she commented to her current guardian. "The biggest tragedy is that it's never recognized like it should be." She slowly lead the man towards the next stand, taking her time walking along the path laid out by the tents. There was plenty of music to give the entire courtyard some pleasant background sounds, but the shops were a fine distraction while they were outside of the castle walls.

"I doubt those fire jugglers would be seen by the public eye if it weren't for things like this." Arianna wasn't as impressed by the next stand, which held a collection of weapons and furs from the hunter's latest catch, but she was careful not to show it to the man. It wasn't that she was against hunting, but dead pelts weren't something she was looking to collect unless it was for a good reason. "And the cooks, or craftsmen... the variety here is always stunning." The man behind the table smiled at her words and gave her a bow in response, even if her words weren't meant for him in particular. "It's almost depressing we don't come out here to this sort of thing more."

Arianna's interest in the show was a good thing, he didn't have to worry about boring her and in fact he felt like he was helping her experience more of what life had to offer. He was content to follow her around after the show was over, moving with her to the outer area of the marketplace and looking around, though his interest in purchases for himself were very limited. He did notice something as they looked through the stalls, how Arianna's eyes lingered on a few pieces of jewelry. She was right about the pieces, they were beautiful in both material and craftsmanship and even he could see that, though he knew she was right about the creators not being recognized. In the world they lived in it was all about who you knew and many times the best people were not the ones being hired for jobs, it was those who knew the right people or provided cheaper services. It was unfortunate but that was the way it was and it could be seen on the stands or in shops like Cecil's, Arianna made it clear his medicines were the best yet he didn't get the most business. "I suppose the best thing to do is support them when you can and hope that their talent will be enough to keep them afloat and keep their craft around."

He did become more interested as they moved to a stand with weapons on it, his attentions shifting slightly towards the goods and away from Arianna, not much caring for the furs but eyeing the selection of swords. Cain couldn't help but give them all a look over, though nothing on the table was as fine as his own quality wise it was still interesting to him, especially some of the more exotic looking weapons. He didn't stand there for too long, he was sure the princess was less interested in weapons than many of the other stalls they could be visiting and in fact he was beginning to think about that second snack. "That it is, and I am thinking about finding something sweet, variety." He gave a small smile before motioning for her to follow him, having seen what he was looking for in passing, a sugary piece of sweet bread, nothing elegant but it was what he felt like snacking on. As they headed for the stall, or at least in hopes of finding it again, he thought over what the princess had said and without thinking too much about it he commented. "If you wish to come out to this more often, or do anything, I would be more than happy to accompany you, I could use the fun and I will make sure no harm comes to you." He was serious, he would like to hang around the princess and he would take care of her, as a knight and a friend. He didn't mean it to be patronizing though, he would appreciate experiencing things as well after so long away. The first experience was the sweets he had say, and when he noticed the stall he pointed towards it, "Want one?"

The princess's attention didn't last much longer at the stand as soon as Cain suggested finding a sweet treat. She took a moment to look at him before nodding, following him away from the line they were in and back towards a new stand. She was careful to stay beside him, although people had no problem moving around to let the two pass without grazing against them. While she was grateful for that, she was also hoping she could have another chance to stay close to Cain while they were out. Either way, when his offer was brought up, Arianna nodded with a smile. "I'd like that," she assured him. "Really. I'd have to make sure to find you next time I want some sort of an adventure." It was the tone of his voice that really caught Arianna's attention. He wasn't just being polite, he really seemed to want to give the princess a chance to get out of the palace as well as having a partner to enjoy the city with.

When they finally found the proper stand, Arianna looked it over and nodded. "I wouldn't mind one." Even a simple treat like what they were selling would be worth it. From what she could tell from the smells and the satisfaction people looked to have, the street food at this celebration was worth every cent, no matter how much you got or what it was. Arianna had the intense craving to eat what she could while she was there, but deep down, she knew it wouldn't look polite or impressive to anyone who may have been watching, including the knight she was walking with. Self control was key at that moment and she was a master of it.

Cain knew two things, one was that Arianna wasn't the princess everyone expected her to be, and the second was that if he were around she could let go a bit more, even if it took a little help. So when he went to buy their sweets he got two large pieces of the treat, heading back to hand her the large snack. "Now don't be rude, eat it all up or I will be hurt." She could enjoy it without people thinking anything of it, a gift from the knight commander not to be denied. "Oh and princess, any time you wish to have an adventure just come and find me, I will make sure we have a good time. Don't be shy." The smile on his face was a soft one, he would make an effort to clear time for her as often as she needed it, his job as a knight being mostly administrative at the moment with his injury and rank. Even when he had to work he generally worked alone, preferring to go on patrol alone as he always had, especially in his current task, it was at night and that left his days wide open.

None of that mattered when it came down to it, things would work out how they worked out and the princess could go to the knight any time, and if he was busy she could just ask him to be a guard and he could shirk off some responsibility, he had earned that right. It was an amusing thought but it was only half serious, he didn't want to start doing nothing, he could make time, he had plenty of freedom as it was. Of course his plans to go running around with Arianna relied on her being around and if she went off to visit the prince she would be forced into marriage and he would lose the friend he had just made. He found himself digging in without noticing it as his mind wandered off in thought. He looked to Arianna after realizing he had been motionless after handing her the treat, wanting to see if she was enjoying the snack and also what else she wanted to do. "Now, for this adventure, where else is it going to lead us, shall we walk around a bit more or?" Cain still had some time before he needed to return and prepare for the night ahead, though he did have some other stuff he wanted to attend to as well. Still, he had time and he would spend it with Arianna if she so desired or could.

There was a bit of polite hesitation from the princess as she took the gift from the knight. But she took it and, without another pause, ripped a small strip off of the bread, taking a bite while her eyes remained on the man in front of her. It's sweet flavour filled her senses with a wonderful taste that she followed with another bite, loving the sugary flavours that had been cooked into the bread. She noticed that Cain had paused in place, but didn't bother to mention anything, choosing instead to turn to his next suggestion. As much as she enjoyed their time alone yesterday, it didn't seem like the knight enjoyed it as much as she had. By the end of it, he just seemed ready to get away from her after they got even a bit close.

"How about we take a walk in that direction." She pointed to her right, gesturing to a side street which lead to another road away from the marketplace. The other businesses in the area were still bustling with people and places to see other than the large set up in the courtyard. There were plenty of places to see, especially if they were to go into the lower parts of the city where there would be far more to see and do before the two had to part. The upper area of the cities were always safe, but the lower end wasn't watched as closely by the guards, giving the two a chance for something different to happen other than simply walking through the city.

Cain had no problems with taking a walk but he did hesitate a bit due to the direction she had pointed, it wasn't exactly the safest of areas, though neither was where he had taken her the other day. Of course as long as he was by her side it would most likely be alright, most people knew and respected both Cain and Arianna, and even if they didn't Cain had quite the reputation, few would dare challenge him. He would have to trust that if anything did happen he would be able to take care of her, even if it meant getting a bit more beat up than he already was. "Sounds fine to me, as long as you aren't nervous to be in such an interesting place... You don't really have to worry though, I will take care of you princess." He said the princess as more of a term than title, teasing her a bit just for the hell of it and implying she was in as much need of protecting as any other delicate little princess. He knew for a fact that she wasn't like the others who shared a similar title, she was far more impressive and interesting than most, at least to Cain.

"Of course, don't be to shocked when you see some less than savory things going on it is unavoidable in those parts." With that warning Cain began leading the way to where the princess had decided they should walk, Cain not caring much as he grew up in the environment but he wasn't so sure some of the things they would see by simply walking around the lower city would sit well with the princess. One such situation occurred as soon as they arrived in the lower section, past one of the small checkpoints and through the less extravagant streets. It wasn't dangerous or exciting but from one of the many alleyways the sounds of moaning and grunting could be heard, no doubt a prostitute earning a living in the lower city. Cain, in an attempt to ignore the situation, began to speak, curious to why Arianna had requested to go to such a place. "So tell me princess, what made you decide to walk this way today, a random decision or are you wanted to find something specific that you wouldn't find in the nicer parts of the city?" Cain was feeling a bit odd, thinking about Arianna, possibly for the first time, hearing such a thing on the streets, and for all Cain knew for the first time ever. It was not the sort of event she was probably use to, and probably not exactly what she had in mind for a nice stroll, it wasn't even exciting. If she wanted an adventure he could think of much more suitable places to do so, places less likely to contain whores and thieves and more likely to give her a good memory.

Arianna didn't hesitate or bother to torment the man back at his words. She was just glad the man agreed to let her take a walk in such a place. There was a bit of hesitation after Cain mentioned the type of things found in the lower area of the city, but he didn't seem to want to stop or think about it. Arianna took that as a good idea and followed behind him for a street block or two before inching forward, taking the lead along their adventuring path. The checkpoints were simple enough to get through, but as soon as they got into the streets, the princess paused, barely turning towards the sound before she picked up the pace for a moment until the sound was out of range. Cain's questions covered the noise as well, which was a wonderful thing in Arianna's mind.

"Both," she informed him, glancing down a few alleyways as they passed. "Random decision, gut feeling, take your pick. I doubt many people come down here, and certainly not my family, so maybe just to get a look." Around the corner, there were a few children who looked to be running out of a shop just after nabbing something from inside. Arianna paused to watch the children run away from them and let out a soft sigh. "It hurts to see people really live here," she stated, her voice dropping in volume. "Or... like this. With a bit of effort, this could be just as good as the rest of the city." Her eyes wandered around the streets for a brief moment before her feet kicked a stone, watching as it skid across the ground. "I guess those nobles didn't want to sink their money into helping as much as they claim to."

Arianna seemed to be trying to ignore the sounds from the alley and he made sure to help with that as much as he could by ignoring it, acting as if it wasn't there. Not only to help her but to avoid an awkward situation, which it most certainly would have been if they had focused on the sounds of the whore plowing her trade. "No, few people come down here from the upper parts of the city, hell few people come to this particular district even among the rest of the lower city, this area being quite bad. I am once again surprised by you, pleasantly if I may add, you are indeed different than most, and not just than other aristocrats and royalty." It was certainly true that nobody from her family or upper city visited the lower city often, save perhaps a few men looking for something illegal or a cheap prostitute. It was also true that she was impressive, the way she approached things truly being different than most people near her station. Cain knew his offer to help her pursue adventures would lead to something interesting, she was much to curious a person to stay out of trouble, at least completely.

Attentions shifted to a group of kids, a group who had just stolen something from a rundown store, the owner yelling from inside but not bothering to chase, that always led to more trouble in the lower areas. Cain didn't do anything, even though it was normally his job to catch thieves, even young ones, it was also his job to protect Arianna and she took precedence over just about everything, as a friend and as the princess. "You're wrong princess, the nobles care and they give what they can without risking their positions, the survival instinct being a trait all share. Unfortunately this place will never be as good as the rest of the city, not only because of the buildings but because many of the people are unsavory, they care little for community and prefer to make a living through crime or anything that doesn't require much work. Not only that but while this part of the city could be built up it would simply decline again, the people do not have the money to keep it up and the nobles would run out of funds eventually as well, it is just the way things work." Cain looked over at Arianna for a second and took a deep breath, "And it is sad to see people living here and like they do, it is not a good life growing up in the lower city, it is hard and tiring and new problems arise faster than they can be solved, and few ever make it out." Cain was a very rare exception, he was talented enough and driven enough to claw his way out and it hadn't been easy. "Now, at the risk of sounding like a bore, we should really be careful, you never know what will happen around these parts and I would be distraught if you were to be injured, so let us tread carefully on this little adventure."

It took Arianna a moment to process what Cain had told her. Although she had never had much time around others, she knew how things worked in the palace and where much of the money had gone. Cain gave her some insight into people on this level of the city though that she had never truly thought of; they were more focused on themselves than going ahead with helping those around them. Yes, there were plenty in the upper ends of the town that held those same standards, but they lived in areas where others didn't need help and they could all afford to think in such a way. Some money had obviously been pushed into restoring the rundown streets, as many of the buildings were still standing, but it was clear whatever was given to them wasn't used to make it what it could be. With the help of the knight's words, she began to believe things could never change here. She wasn't ready to completely give up though, at least not on their adventure.

Cain's warning and repetitive words pulled a soft huff from the woman as she began walking again, this time changing directions down the street the children had taken. She wasn't going after them, but if they went much further, there was the possibility of hitting the city's walls, which would bring them to no where but a trap. Here though, there was a chance for Arianna to watch some of the best thieves in the city make a living, giving her bits of inspiration for her own future plans. She was no where near ready to quit borrowing items from shops, it was still too much fun and there were too many owners who thought they couldn't be broken into. That was a challenge in Arianna's eyes that she was ready to meet.

"Yes, yes," she responded as they continued down the road. "We can't be that far into the city, so if there's problems, we just take an escape route." Lucky for her, she had on a dress perfect for running in. "After all, you've yet to really see much." The princess wasn't bragging, well maybe a little, but at the same time, she didn't believe that getting away from a thief or two would be much different than the little chase she had with Cain the night before. Especially since the middle class level was only a few streets away.

Back
Top Bottom