Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Thief Who Only Borrows (DontxBlinkk)

Arianna smiled as she and her assistant followed the knight down to the lower area of the city. The two of them never had a reason to enter this section of the city, nor did they really want to, but Arianna had a certain pleasure as they entered the streets. Despite the raise in the surrounding city, the buildings were still falling apart and none of the people living in the area looked ready to take on any task. Isabelle was careful to move closer to Cain, silently using him for protection, while the princess kept her eyes moving around the area, taking in as many details as she possible could. If she had known about how people lived there earlier, she would have pressed their situation on her parents, making sure something was done to help them, to make their lives easier. As perfect as he life seemed to be to others, she was sheltered from the people in the city, especially the lower population.

The two women were as polite as they could be, greeting the people living in the village with smiles, making small conversation with a few who seemed to want to speak to them. Arianna kept herself together, refusing to stare at any of the lower class as much as she possibly could. When the group stopped outside of the proper building, the blonde looked over it, shocked by how worn down it looked to be.

"I hope it's better than it looks," she commented, lightly lifting her skirt off the ground to bundle it slightly in her arms. Her knee high leather boots were exposed as she stepped inside, dropping her dress back to the ground, moving into the smell coming out of the tavern. She had passed by the kitchen nearly ever day since she was a small girl, but nothing smelt as good as what was greeting her. A smile crossed her lips, only to fade when she noticed the stares. Her eyes widened slightly, matching the confused looks several of the people inside wore, somewhat stunned as well. But as soon as Cain stepped in, she did her very best to erase the look and flash them a smile.

She and her companion followed Cain, taking a seat at his table. Isabelle watched their surroundings, taking small notes of what things looked like for future reference, keeping silent while she observed what the others were up to. Arianna on the other hand, was running her fingers over the table in front of them, almost inspecting it. "There's no money to fix this place up, is there," she assumed, keeping her voice low, half speaking to herself. She looked up at the people around them, watching as they reacted to each other. "Is this a normal dining location in the area?"

Cain could tell that the princess and Isabelle didn't find his neighborhood exactly comfortable but he wasn't going to let anything happen and it wasn't as bad as it appeared, nor as bad as it use to be. That didn't mean he had to like the comments of course, the princess saying that she hoped it was better than it looked irking him a little. He was aware of her upbringing though and knew the rundown tavern wouldn't appear as much to her, or most people for that matter, but to him it was normal and comfortable above anything else in the city. "Don't worry, it will be." When they were at the table however he began to wonder if it had really been a good idea to bring the princess and Isabelle to such a place, not that he had any shame in where he came from. It would be one of those things that only time would tell and he took a deep breath, choosing not to respond to the comment about not having money to fix it up. Nobody in the lowest quarter which they were currently in had money, and if they did they didn't spend it to make things more aesthetically pleasing, they used it to improve their food, keep everything running, and make sure needs were taken care of.

"I suppose it is about as normal as it gets around here. Of course almost everyone comes here so it sort of defines normal in this part of the city, not to mention it can get quite crowded sometimes." Cain turned to look at Arianna for a moment and gave her an inquisitive look, "Are you okay with eating here? I realize it may be something you're not entirely use to and I don't want either of you to be uncomfortable." He waited for an answer from her but did turn his head as a different barmaid approached with some of the spiced rum that he had ordered. Cain's face became slightly brighter than usual when she got to them, more of his usual self showing than it had since he got back. The woman spoke before he could and placed the drink down in front of him, almost ignoring the princess, most of the people finding it surprising that she had come to the area but they seemed more interested in Cain as far as talking went, which was no surprise given as he was one of them. "Cain, it's been awhile, glad to see you came back in one piece." He voice was cheery and she was quite beautiful. She knew Cain from childhood, both of them growing up together and spending some very hard times by each others side, she was like a sister to him. "Chyanne, it's good to see you again."

She gave a slight huff and leaned back against the wall near the table, "Come now, is that all you have to say? And so polite too?" She then looked over to the princess and tilted her head, unsure of whether she should be bowing or not. Finally she decided not to, not because she didn't like the princess or the royal family but because she didn't really feel like she needed to at their current juncture. She was polite however, speaking with a softer tone than she did with Cain. "Princess Arianna, I never thought you would come here but I am delighted to see it. I will be taking care of all of you and making sure Cain isn't boring while you guys are here." Cain shook his head, "Chyanne... Just take their orders, you know what I want." He said with a sigh, taking the drink she had brought him and taking a long satisfying sip. Chyanne took the opportunity to look to the women, her personality being strong enough not to feel intimidated, and waited. "If you don't know what you want I can help you order or just bring something out."

The princess didn't seem to notice Cain's reaction to her question, or if she did, she didn't react to him. She continued to let her eyes wander around the tavern as Cain spoke to her. "I'm just fine," she told him, turning towards him with a sweet smile. It all vanished when Cain's friend came over to deliver the knight's drink. Isabelle slid closer to the table slightly, looking up at the new woman, watching her as she seemed to talk so calmly to the man across the table. She seemed to know him quite well and even Arianna found it somewhat uncomfortable. Typically, they were the ones known, that people tried to talk to, so to simply sit at the table was awkward to them.

When Chyanne didn't bow, Arianna raised an eyebrow while her eyes gave her a short, but meaningful look over. She did speak to the princess in a different way though, and the woman didn't bring up the lack of typical respect. It caught her off guard, but Arianna was never one to pick at what others did or didn't do around her. Her mind was still adjusting to how the room was set up and used; she had several thoughts of how things could be fixed or be better, if she had the chance to send at least a bit of gold towards this section of the town.

Arianna smiled as Chyanne spoke to her and gave a small, slow nod. "Something here smells wonderful, I can say that much," she told the server. "what would you suggest?" Isabelle gently leaned onto the table, looking at Chyanne as well, giving her a small, casual smile. "A bit of the rum would be nice," she added in.

It seemed that Arianna wasn't going to make a fuss over the things that were off or wrong with the situation, which was good for Cain because he had caught the lack of bow coming from Chyanne. It was normal from her, she had never been the most courteous of people, but in the current situation it was something that made him nearly flinch, hoping the princess wouldn't take it in a bad way. Of course she was always kind and sweet but disrespect could often turn some of the most kindhearted people angry very quick. Instead she merely commented on something smelling lovely and gave Chyanne the chance to suggest something, a gesture the woman would definitely appreciate, a small little smirk touching her features. "I would be more than happy to suggest some of the venison or buffalo being cooked in the kitchen, though we also have a couple loaves of fresh honeyed bread just out of the oven as well." Cain didn't show it but hearing about the honeyed bread had caused him more excitement than the entire feast held by the king, the delicious substance one of his favorite foods from his childhood years.

Chyanne had already shot him a glance though, one for the honeyed bread to let him know she knew, and the other a more inquisitive look as Arianna requested some of the rum. Cain was as surprised as she was when the princess ordered the rum, it was something many around the lower city liked but not the usual drink for women, and not one any of them would expect royalty to order. Regardless Cain shrugged, he was no babysitter nor was he in any place to judge so he didn't care. Besides, Chyanne loved the stuff so she was likely to give it to the girl whether Cain agreed or not. So she nodded, taking a moment and finally saying something, "Listen, how about this, I will bring out some of the rum for both of you, if one of you doesn't like it we will make Cain drink it. As for the food, leave that to me, I guarantee you will love it." With that she turned and bounded off to get their order fulfilled. It was very obvious she knew Cain well and he simply sat back in his seat, looking more comfortable at that moment than he had since arriving back at the kingdom, a small involuntary small on the edge of his lips as he looked around the room. The atmosphere he had grew up in was allowing him to forget about what had happened, even if only for a bit.

Buffalo was something the princess had on a few occasions, but because her father didn't enjoy it as much as other meats, it wasn't common in the castle. Venison was a common meal on the other hand, and Arianna enjoyed it for the most part. With either selection, she would be satisfied, so when their server suggested letting her choose, the two women nodded, more than happy to let her make the decision. She could see the shock in their faces and simply smiled in response. As long as her father didn't find out what she was doing, there wouldn't be a problem. But then again, if her father found out she was drinking, there would be a bigger problem as he would also find out where she was. The lower section of the city wasn't exactly approved for her to go into without several guards tailing behind her.

Those thoughts drifted from her mind as soon as Chyanne left back to the kitchen. The blonde smiled and took a look over to the man sitting beside her. He looked to be far more comfortable than he was in the castle and Arianna didn't blame him. He had grown up in this area of the city, so to move from here to a war then back to the palace, it would be uncomfortable for anyone to go through such a sudden change. The three guest sat in silence, giving the two women a chance to look around the dining area, taking a good look at the people who were sitting inside.

"Prince Charming then?" Arianna teased after a few moments to themselves. She looked towards the man, her smile tugging at her lips. "Would you prefer that title over 'commander'?"

Cain looked over at Arianna as she finally brought up his nickname, something he had seen coming from a mile away. It wasn't something people outside of the lower city called him, even the knights ignorant to what some referred to him as. Of course he didn't really mind it after hearing it for so long but it seemed more ridiculous than normal when sitting at the same table as actual royalty. "I would prefer that particular name doesn't leave lower city, if you two could keep it to yourself it would be much appreciated. Not that I mind the nickname but it is something I don't wish to be called Prince Charming all the time, and believe me the knights would have a field day with that one." He didn't mention how being called Prince at all would be rather uncomfortable, being around nobility and royalty a lot it would no doubt end up causing some odd situations. Even more he didn't want people to get too comfortable with him, sure he was fine with the people he grew up with being close but others were a different story. Cain was not an unfriendly person by any means but he purposefully kept some distance, keeping his position above other soldiers solidified and not becoming too comfortable with those of higher station than himself, and that included the current moment with Arianna, though he couldn't request she do anything.

Chyanne was making it more difficult though as she returned just in time to hear the topic of their conversation, a grin on her face that meant trouble for Cain. "Oh princess don't let him dissuade you from using the new power over him. Imagine putting the powerful Cain in his place with what you know, making him do things or else telling his knights what you know. It would be brilliant." She said as she sat the two other orders of rum in front of the two women. "I mean more people need to be able to mess with Charming here, he is way too respectable and calm now. If you had met Cain before he joined the knights you wouldn't have recognized anything but his handsome appearance, I promise you that. Boy do I have some stories..." She smirked and Cain cleared his throat, obviously irritated but not able to keep his usual in control demeanor around Chyanne, "I believe you should go see about our food instead of gossiping..." Chyanne simply laughed at his attempt to quiet her and turned back to the princess, "Just you wait, once I go see to your food I will come back and tell you anything about the younger Cain, and there are some juicy stories." With that she ran off towards the kitchen again leaving Cain to sigh and lean back, looking irritated but at the same time rather relaxed, as if even Chyanne's tormenting wasn't that bad, as if she were his real sister.

Arianna had no plan of spreading the nickname around, as she knew just how cruel the knights could be when the found small bits of information about their superiors. They gave the proper respect to their higher ups when time called for it, but during practice, mercy was something that was only found in the sparring ring. There was no way under the sun that the men would let Cain live down his royal nickname. She was about to assure the man of such a thing when Chyanne returned. Arianna's eyes instantly landed on the woman, giving her a polite smile, pleased that Cain had spoken up before she had to. As soon as the waitress had turned away and started back to the kitchen, the princess's smile vanished, whatever cheer that was once in her eyes leaving with the fall of her lips. She let another silent moment fall over the table before nodding once. "Your name won't leave this tavern," she assured the man, lifting the glass to her lips to take a sip of the drink.

The princess had tried alcohol in the past, but it had been small tastes she would take from the cook as he was making up their dinner. Her father found it in bad taste for a woman to drink, so each sip was done in secret, but there were still many drinks she had never tasted. Spiced rum was one of them, but it didn't disappoint her one bit. The aroma matched exactly what she thought a tavern would smell like and the taste flowed over her senses in a pleasing way. She pulled the cup from her lips, studying the liquid inside for a moment before setting it gently on the table. "You and Chyanne know each other quite well then?" Arianna's eyes crossed to the man beside her with her right eyebrow raised in an inquisitive way.

Isabelle on the other hand, was tasting the rum at her own speed. She was still taking in the tavern, looking at a few of the men who passed the table long enough to spot someone she knew. With a short turn to the pair with her, she lightly tapped the table, grabbing Arianna's attention instantly. "I'll be right back," she told the princess before standing up, taking her drink over to a nearby table. She greeted a man at the table who seemed to be from the middle class area of the city. His clothes were nicer than most of the others in the tavern, but still no where near what anyone in the castle would be wearing. Isabelle gave him a casual smile, which he quickly returned, offering her a seat. Arianna watched for a moment before slowly letting her eyes drift back to the man beside her.

Arianna's assurances were nice, however he was more worried about what else Chyanne might divulge to the princess, stories that only she knew or some that he simply didn't want people outside of the lower city to know. It was almost a separation when it came down to it. In the royal quarters and the castle Cain was known for his skill and honor, dedication to the crown and his calm collected exterior. In the lower city he was known as quite a different person, as a young delinquent of sorts, someone who got into fights often and got out of it with a silver tongue, charm, and his good looks. It was something he would rather not begin to meld, his true personality not exactly suited for the title of Commander. Besides, thinking about the things that had happened made it impossible for him to be in that constant state of charm and relaxation that he always stayed in when he was younger. Arianna knowing was bad enough, he would be thankful if she would at least keep it quiet, about his nickname and whatever else Chyanne chose to tell her, and would take her at her word to do just that.

Isabelle's departure gave Cain a chance to speak to Arianna without feeling like he was ignoring the girl, taking a deep breath and trying to figure out the best way to explain his relationship with Chyanne. "She is like a sister to me. We grew up together, took care of each other, I doubt I would be where I am today if she hadn't come around." He didn't want to go into detail, it was a complicated relationship, each having been alone when they met each other and the two of them sticking together. Cain had made sure nobody messed with them, kept just enough food on the table for them to survive, and she made sure they made it work, kept him from doing anything stupid and took care of him. It had never been more than that. By that time Chyanne had returned with the food, two whole loves of the honeyed bread and four plates, two with buffalo and two with venison. "Boss said I could sit and eat with you Cain, mind?" She was a bit calmer as she asked, looking at him almost begging before he laughed and nodded, "Of course." She smiled and took a seat, reaching over and messing up Cain's hair before turning to Arianna, "So, anything in particular you want to know about Cain, I can tell you a lot, embarrassing or otherwise." She almost sang as she spoke to the princess, wanting to speak with the princess, excited about meeting Arianna in her own hard to decipher way.

As much as Arianna was looking forward to hearing about the man's past and listening to some of the embarrassing stories the man wouldn't dare to ever share, the princess was also looking forward to having a quiet meal with the knight, speaking to each other without many interruptions. If she was anywhere else, she would tell the woman to leave them alone and return to her work, but she wasn't in the palace. She was in another world, in a way, and she didn't know the rules of the area. The last thing she wanted to do was anger someone who obviously didn't care about her position in the city as much as others did. And she was an old friend of Cain's. He had just returned and after being forced into a night with her family, Arianna didn't want to take the opportunity away from the knight to speak to one of his oldest friends. And the woman was pleased to hear she was simply a friend. There would be nothing more awkward than sitting at a table with two people, lovers or ex lovers, after they were separated for any amount of time.

The details weren't important to Arianna, but just knowing the general story was helpful. Isabelle's parting allowed the princess to take a breath, sitting back slightly against the chair, stretching her legs out under the table. The lack of a guard from the palace was always a good thing for her; it meant she could fade more into her own personality without worrying about the king being told. She still had to behave for as long as Cain was there, but a small relief was lifted from her shoulders. When Chyanne returned, Arianna tensed once again, her feet pulling back to the empty space under her chair while her shoulders fell back into the proper position that was drilled into her as a small child. Her initial reaction was an unpleasant look that the woman had invited herself to join the two of them without an agreement from both of the visitors. But it quickly left her face, only to be replaced with a smile as the scent of the food washed over her.

Arianna took a bit of the honey bread from one of the loaves and pushed the bite past her lips before flashing another smile to the woman. The sweet taste lightened her mood and she finally realized how hungry she actually was. "Oh, anything would be good," she confessed happily. "The commander and I never had the chance to have a good conversation, so anything you can tell me would be helpful."

Cain was far too happy with the scent of the honeyed bread to continue opposing Chyanne and her story time, focusing more on grabbing an entire loaf for himself, knowing he could get more if others wanted it, and digging in. In the meantime Chyanne simply smirked, loving the freedom of choice Arianna gave her, to allow her to tell any of the facts or stories she knew about the Commander as she called him. "Well I will start small and see if I can give you some crucial pieces of information... Let's see..." She thought for a moment, picking at some of the meat and leaving the bread for the others, trying to figure out something juicy to tell the princess. "Aha! Alright, Cain has a weakness for sweets, which will become obvious if you hang around him enough, a simple one to start. I have to add in something embarrassing though." She said with a giggle before leaning in a bit, speaking to Arianna in a near whisper with a grin on her face. "One time Cain was running from a group of people, after he had stolen a pie, and got away from them by hiding in a stable, only to slip and fall in some horse excrement." She said with a small laugh, trying not to be too obnoxious around the princess.

Cain looked up after the last comment, swallowing the piece of honeyed bread in his mouth and looking at Chyanne with a glare, not a serious one but a glare nonetheless. "Chyanne... How about you cut the stories out before I start telling the entire bar some of the more embarrassing things I've seen." Chyanne smirked and sighed, "Alright alright but I get one more, a secret more than anything." She turned to Arianna, "Remember this is he ever gives you a hard time, Cain has a weakness for compliments, not full of himself of anything, but if you call him handsome or good looking he has a tendency to turn red. Not that I am suggesting you flirt with the Commander or anything but if you ever want to see him turn a bright shade of red you have that option." She turned back and grabbed up another few pieces of the meat, eating them quick and then letting out a small sigh as she turned around and looked at the rest of the staff. Finally she stood up and turned to Cain, "Listen I need to get back to work but don't you dare be a stranger, I expect to see you several times a week minimum you hear me? And don't think I've forgotten what you did, I will pay you back for all that..." She gave him a stern look until he nodded, and then she walked away, back towards the kitchen with the same spirited movement. She was certainly one not to mess with, her personality a strong one indeed.

Cain didn't even have the ability to get mad at her for telling the princess any of what she had, his tendency to blush at being called handsome not quite as bad as it use to be and it hadn't even been in context. The only time he had blushed or become bashful because of that was the neighborhood flirt who always grabbed certain parts she wasn't supposed to while saying them, it wasn't as bad as she made it seem. He sighed and then turned back to Arianna with her gone, "I apologize about that, she tends to simply do as she pleases and I am not one to say no to her."

Arianna tasted several bits of the food while listening to the stories told to her. Chyanne didn't seem to have a problem in the slightest with sharing what the man didn't seem to want to say. Somehow, hearing about his admiration for sweets wasn't surprising to the princess. Many people in the city enjoyed some sort of sweet food when they could get a hold of them. Their city happened to be known for their caramels of many kinds, and their good relations with the other cities got them plenty of traded goods into their city, giving those who could afford them plenty of chances to get their craving hands on what they wanted. But to hear a man such as Cain enjoyed a simple treat brought a smile to Arianna's lips. But her smile faded when she heard the next story. "Really," she responded, looking towards the knight beside her. It was hard to tell what her exact response was, but she was certainly stunned by the idea of anyone falling into anything found on the floor of a stable.

With a small chuckle, she turned back to their guest and leaned in, listening to the girl's final secret. A compliment could always go a long way with someone, but it was always helpful to learn when it would really help. As much as she enjoyed listening and peaking with Chyanne, there was a certain relief that washed over her as the woman left, watching as she returned to her work. Arianna took a piece of the venison between her fingers and lightly nibbled on the edge while her eyes slid back to the commander.

She gave him a calm nod. "You have all right to see your friends," she told him between bites. "After all, I'm the one that asked to join you here. I wouldn't want to keep you from seeing the people who missed you." Calmly, the princess looked around the room, almost expecting others inside to be taking notice of Cain's return. In the back of her mind, she wondered how many people here actually knew Cain before he left and how many people would like to know him now that he had returned as a hero.

"So, dear commander," Arianna began, lifting her cup from the table. "Is what she said true? Or should I just fall back to flirting to find out?" After all, no one said the princess couldn't flirt. She rarely did, and never did so around anyone too important, in case, again, word fell back to her father.

Cain's presence was certainly noticed throughout the bar and many of the people knew him in some way or another, but the princess being beside them kept all but those who knew him best, like Chyanne, from approaching. She was more than enough for Cain and he was partially glad nobody else approached, not wanting to talk that much and knowing after Chyanne's greeting that Arianna had enough dirt on him. Not that he figured she would use it for anything bad but people could always mess around when they knew things about you that they shouldn't. He soon got a hint of that when Arianna inquired about his weakness towards flattery, asking him quite bluntly and even threatening to flirt with him if he didn't answer her question. Having the princess flirt with him was bad for a number of reasons, one because she was quite beautiful and had a slight chance of affecting him, but also due to her title. Sure he was a hero to her father now, but if the man heard a rumor of his daughter dining and flirting with Cain, well that could have some repercussions of a more serious nature.

It was easier to answer her straight out when he thought of it that way, believing his answer would say him from some serious trouble and possibly some embarrassment. "She knows me so well that at times she remembers the smallest incidents and believes them to be part of my personality. The truth is I am not as weak against flattery as she likes to believe, though I will be honest I am not entirely immune to it either, it just depends on the situation." The answer was honest, almost boringly so, but that was the point, he couldn't have the princess flirting with him, especially if he made the mistake of letting it get to him in the slightest. "And princess... I do not believe flirting is a good idea, I would hate to imagine if your father caught wind of it, even jokingly." He wasn't chastising her, he didn't want to be part of that rumor and it would simply be a joke, there was no sense in either of them being under the King's glare due to some in the moment action. Not that it was all that believable, the princess flirting with a knight, even one of Cain's stature, but it could bring trouble. An odd thought came to Cain's head in that moment though, he was wondering if Arianna had been betrothed to anyone yet, one of the many princes who wanted her hand. She was well of age and quite sought after, surely in his time away a marriage partner had been found. "Tell me, what has happened in the courts since my departure Arianna. I know your father always talked of relations with other kingdoms, engaging you to one of the many princes of your kingdom's allies. Did that ever happen?"

The princess smiled fondly at his response, finding the style of the answer vague yet truthful at the same time. She would have been lying if she said her curiosity wasn't raised, but her self control was far stronger than her gut urges. But her expression changed at the topic of her father; her look went sour, even upset, and her jaw tightened, making an apparent by a small twitch in her cheek. Of all people, she didn't think a commander of the knights would bring up such an idea. She forced a polite smile, although her eyes held no joy, and responded to his suggestion as she had hundreds of times before. "Thank you for reminding me of that fact," she told him, almost sarcastically. "It's something I often forget." She reached forward and ripped off a small chuck of the bread before picking up a knife, adding a bit of butter to the food before taking a bite, wiping the distasteful look off her face as she looked around the tavern once again. She didn't want to insult anyone inside of the building, nor the owners, by showing any sort of displeased emotion towards the other guests inside.

Luckily for the two of them, she shook the short mood she fell into as the conversation turned. Her father was still in the topic, but was no longer the focal point. Instead, it was the men who had courted Arianna, and again, her curiosity was raised. She raised her right eyebrow before setting the piece of bread on the plate in front of her to answer his question. "No, nothing ever happened. There were two possibilities at one point, but one was sent off to war and the second..." She paused, letting her eyes slowly turn around the room. "Found another princess," she finally finished, looking towards the knight. "He claimed there was a conflict of interest and my father, of course, bought it. But he was a bit of an unintelligent moron. I had to literally boot him out the door to get him to stop fawning over me." Her voice dropped as she picked up the bread once again. "Things fell into a bit of chaos after that and nothing's come up lately..."

Cain knew the subject of her father was a bit touchy, her reaction easily revealing the dislike. He moved past it and wouldn't say such a thing again, knowing that it couldn't be easy for her father to have so much control over her life, especially limiting her freedom. He was however surprised by the look he had caught, not to mention the sarcasm. It seemed Princess Arianna wasn't the perfect princess. Honestly Cain found it refreshing to see that side of her, a side that wasn't completely polite and respectful. He found himself hoping to see more of that real side of her, the perfectly polite attitude almost annoying, though his respectfulness and vague answers to all the personal questions was probably the same. He figured he would have to start being a bit more revealing in all of his answers, part of him wanting to keep all of the things he had seen, and all of the personal information people seemed to want to know, to himself. The other part however wanted to see more of the real princess, to get to know one of the few people who seemed to want to talk about more than the war, and one way to do that was to stop being so secretive.

Mention of one of the princes she had been introduced to made him a tad more solemn though, sighing slightly. "Yes, the war has taken many away from their home..." He took a moment and looked across, "It's a shame honestly, a prince is not required to go to war, he must have been an honorable man." Cain hadn't exactly been required either though few knew it, he had been given the choice by the king to go to the war or to stay behind and manage the knights and guards. He had chosen war. Not because he found it satisfying or even likable, but because he wanted to be with his men, help them survive. A lot of good it had done but it had been his reason regardless. "I am sure things will calm eventually though, though I doubt suitors will stop due to a war, plenty of princes have their eye on you. I am not some old man but I have already been around long enough to see some of the princes who have visited following you with their eyes." He leaned back, taking another bite of the bread. "Not that it is all important, you are still young, you will have plenty of time to find one worthy." Cain was trying to relax a bit more, speak a bit more openly, though he would forever be careful of mentioning her father and him finding out about anything she did, not caring enough to anger Arianna. "On a different note I would love to ask you something else. What is the best apothecary in the city?"

Arianna let her shoulder rise for a moment as she picked up a small bit of the meat once again. "I only met him once," she informed the man. "But we never had a chance to speak. He was a bit full of himself, but seemed sweet at the same time." As much as she didn't want to admit it, she knew it was true and certainly couldn't deny it. It would also be a lie if she told Cain she didn't worry about the prince. She knew how rare it was for a royal to go to the front lines and when they did, they were needed for several possible reasons. When word got out, nearly every person in the area wished them the best and hoped they would return. It wasn't that Arianna wanted to see him when he returned, but she wanted him, as a human being, to stay safe. As the conversation changed, her mind drifted away from that thought and she turned to face the man. "I doubt they'll ever stop. Some of the princes in the area are quiet determined to get out parents to agree to marriage. You know, peace treaties and all that."

The princess lightly drummed her fingers on the table before taking a sip of her drink, letting it warm her from the inside out and loosen her muscles. Since it was rare for her to drink and the build of her body was small, her tolerance was low, compared to a normal person's. She had no plan to drink enough to get her even tipsy, but with each drink, she relaxed further into her own personality. "I may be young, but the pressure's on," she pointed out, nibbling at more of the food selection. Her voice lowered, speaking more to herself than her guide. "Not everyone would want to marry a royal past their prime." She took another bite and let the conversation quickly change, letting her eyes drift over the man again.

"Apothecary?" She took a moment to think. "The best is just down the street from the castle. Are you in need of something?" All of the best shops could be found around the palace, making it easier for anyone inside to get what they needed as quickly as possible. The apothecary had become familiar to the palace halls since the king fell ill and both Arianna and the man were on a first name basis, simply because the princess had a habit of being around when the man was.

Arianna was indeed interesting, her words seemed to be much more relaxed at the current moment than he was use to, though the time he spent away from the city could account for a change in personality. She was right about one thing, the other princes would never stop, not just because of the peace treaties or wealth they could gain from joining countries by marriage, but also because of how truly exceptional Arianna was. She may not have an idea, he wasn't sure, but that was the real reason all the princes were flocking around and being persistent. He could personally attest to it, some of the few royal generals actually asking if he knew her, interested in his counties beautiful elder princess. Don't worry, you are not nearly past your prime yet, at least I hope not because that would mean I am as well. Would hate to think people view me as past my prime already, though perhaps it is true." Cain laughed slightly, drinking a bit and leaning back in his seat, wondering if that was how he was viewed, wondering if he would forever only be the Knight Commander, not that he had ever really expected anything different.

Whether it be true or not he knew Arianna would have no trouble, many would count themselves lucky to become engaged to the princess, and princes were in no short supply, and he doubted they would be for awhile to come. He wasn't naive though, eventually it would be too late, suitors would be forced to marry others, but she would no doubt be wed before then. The apothecary however was a more pressing matter for Cain, he had some of the stuff to patch up his wound that the field medics had given him but he needed to see a more qualified physician to treat him, and an apothecary would be the best place to get what he needed. He looked to Arianna for a moment, considering whether he should let people in the city know the extent of his injuries, and also wondering if telling the princess would be a mistake or not. After a moment he decided he might as well tell her, she had been accommodating enough already.

So he took a deep breath and scratching the back of his head. "It's about the reason I came back, I have quite an injury that needs to be tended to..." The thought of his injury put a dark look on his face and he sighed, not speaking it but thinking he deserved it after what he let happen. He didn't dwell in front of the princess though. "I will probably need to find someone to get the healing herbs from for quite awhile. I barely made it to begin with and the doctor back on the front lines told me I would need to apply some healing poultices until the wound is completely closed up and healed." He didn't say more than that, though there was much more to tell, especially about the infection he had and the rather large scare that was going to be left behind. Then there were the plethora of other wounds on his body, some healed and some not, none of them life threatening anymore but they were definitely troublesome and in need of some care.

Arianna paused, keeping her eyes on the man beside her as she nodded in response. "After we finish our meal, I'll be more than happy to take you there." If he went out of his way to ask about an apothecary, it must have been important enough to need one as soon as he could get there. "Cecil and Jonas are both wonderful at their jobs and will help in any way they can." The blonde smiled and broke off another piece of the bread. She took a small pause as her eyes drifted upwards to the ceiling before letting them fall. "I'm sure my family could deal with the bill as well." After all, it was their fault he was sent out to the front lines.

To have their commander back was an important thing or the entire city to have. Not only was morale raised, but there was a chance of a raise of skill when the men could learn from someone who had actual experience, compared to just practice on the training field. If the royal family really wanted him to remain in the palace and help the knights, then paying for his medicine should help. "Cecil will take care of you," she assured the man. "He's a wonderful man and knows what he's doing."

Cain was glad Arianna didn't ask for specifics, it made it easier to get his mind off of what had happened and why he had been sent back. Sure his injuries warranted some time to recover, but there had been plenty of things he could have done even in his state, they had sent him back due to what happened, the event that caused his wound. It was something he would probably never forgive himself for and certainly wouldn't forget. Hearing the princess' faith in the apothecary she spoke of was a welcomed thing though, he wanted to make sure to get the wound treated, as it would be too selfish of him to let it end so easily. That was a morbid thought but it crossed his mind in all seriousness, not that it wasn't easily pushed away but that he thought it at all was enough. "Thank you, I will be happy to put myself in their care." He gave a small smile and bow before reaching in and grabbing the last of his loaf of the honeyed bread, swallowing it before starting to snack on some of the remaining meat, not wanting to let it go to waste, though he wasn't in an incredible hurry with the current way the conversation was going, some unpleasant topics but pleasant anyways.

The topic of the royal family paying made him sit up straight, not too alert but a bit. "That will not be necessary, I can't let your family pay for anything." He had plenty of money, he had always saved up, never spent money he didn't have to, and he made sure to send some to Chyanne as well, though she often sent it back unless she needed it, which she hadn't after she started working at the tavern. "I will trust you on who to see though, I am sure they will be great, I would just prefer to pay for it myself honestly. I would also appreciate it if you kept the fact that I am going to see them under wraps. The king and knights know I am hurt but they aren't aware of the severity." He nibbled on a bit more meat and then spoke in a much more serious tone, "I would really appreciate the discretion." He wasn't demanding but he was truly asking her to keep it from others, or at least be careful who she spoke to. He shouldn't have asked it of her, having her lie to the king was a bad thing but he didn't want to be viewed as an injured man, he wanted to remain the knight everyone knew, the man who could take out the current champion without missing a beat, even if it was hard on his body.

The princess smiled as Cain agreed to visit the apothicary in the upper end of the city. There was a reason they were so close to the castle and each member of her family was known quite well to the men inside of their workshop. Both of them would be pleased to help any knight who would come to them but if they knew that Cain was about to cross their threshold, they would have been preparing for him at that very moment. Arianna didn't waste any time on that idea as she watched Cain take the final piece of bread from the plate. She saw an opening to tease the man and took it in an instant. "Excuse me, Charming. That was quiet rude," she pointed out, taking a bit of the final bits of meat left on the table. There was a tone of play in her voice as she continued. "Just taking the bread like that. No manners." She gave a small roll of her eyes as the corner of her lips twitched into a smile, popping several bits into her mouth. Finally, the food was gone, without wasting a bite.

Cain's movement caught Arianna's eye and she knew the conversation was about to turn serious again. She listened closely to the man and nodded in response. In truth, she didn't know how much money the man had saved, and she didn't plan for her offer to upset him in any way. She was simply offering some help; but hearing that he had the funds was a good sign and she wasn't going to argue. "Of course," she agreed. "I'll stay out of the way when you're speaking to Cecil. No one will find out, I can assure you of that." Keeping certain secrets was important to her as well, so she wasn't about to ruin anyone else when she had her own private moments that she would rather not have others learn.

But when it came time to pay, Arianna look three pieces of gold from a small pouch on her belt and moved them around in her hand with her slender fingers. "If I were to give Isabelle the day off, would you mind?" she asked without looking to the man beside her. She knew once she broke away from Cain, she would return to the palace, meaning that she wouldn't be in the town alone for more than a few minutes to get home. With Cain at her side, she would be far more protected that with just her assistant there. And as much as she would enjoy spending the day without Isabelle reminding her to keep herself in her character, she didn't want to impose on the knight if she was going to be unwanted company.

When Arianna pointed out Cain's improper manners he sighed, "Sorry, that was rude of me. I suppose I need to become reacquainted with my manners after so long away." He was usually quite courteous and while he knew she was joking with him it was something he would have to pay attention to in the future, especially around the princess. He didn't want things to be too serious though, knowing making the mood solemn wouldn't do any good. "You can't expect me to be too charming though can you? I mean it would be bad if you fell for my charm." He gave a small smile, part of him wondering if he had gone too far but deciding to just try and relax and not worry so much about her being the princess, she obviously wasn't wanting that to be a focal point. As they finished the food he just remained seated, not in a rush to leave and wanting to finish his drink before they did, the man letting the delicious liquid comfort him after a good meal.

The conversation continued on a good path, Arianna agreeing to allow him to pay for his own medication and to keep it a secret. However she did decide to take it upon herself to pay for the meal and while he would have liked to be the one paying, feeling that it was only right, he didn't say anything, letting her pay for the meal if she wished. "Feel free to give her the day off, I would be more than happy to accompany you for the rest of the day." He wouldn't mind being her bodyguard for the rest of the day, not that he believed she would be attacked, or that he really felt it would be a job. In fact he was finding it easier to talk to the princess as they went on, so much so that he was beginning to become more relaxed around her. Not that he was completely comfortable, he wasn't even completely comfortable with Chyanne at the moment, the war leaving him almost out of body. If he ever did it would take some time, but for now just letting some of his personality slip out was better than nothing.

After a moment, when all the food and drink was gone and the money had been left Cain stood up. "Well then, I suppose we should get going, after you inform Isabelle of her time off of course." Cain gave her leave and decided to go say a quick goodbye to Chyanne, not wanting the closest thing he had to family feeling like he was being inconsiderate. So Cain went and said his goodbye, promising to visit her again soon and perhaps meet some man she made sure only to mention to her over-protective brother of sorts when he was about to leave. With that on his mind he went over and stood by the exit, watching Arianna and waiting for her to join him, because even if he didn't believe she needed protection he could never be sure, she was a princess and some would target her for that reason alone. Cain really didn't want to see harm come to her, as a knight and as someone who enjoyed her company.

At first, Arianna wasn't excited about how serious the knight got about her teasing, but as soon as he seemed to lighten up, her attitude changed as well. As much as she was used to people being polite around her, to have someone joke with her was refreshing at the same time. A smile tugged across her lips as he spoke, drawing a quick response from the princess. "Go ahead and try," she challenged, leaning on her arms as they rested on the table. "I doubt a knight would really satisfy my needs." She let out a soft, dreamy sight, again mocking the normal princess stories, but at the same time, toying with her more playful side. And Arianna's happiness only grew when Cain agreed to be her guard. She nodded and took a look towards the table Isabelle had joined.

When Cain stood up, the princess joined him, setting the gold pieces on the table in front of her. There was a short nod before she joined her friend at the table, leaning down ever so slightly to pass the new message onto her companion. Isabelle seemed hesitant, looking towards Cain as he spoke to Chyanne, but as the exchange went, the dark haired girl looked far more agreeable with the idea and smiled at Arianna. The princess looked pleased with herself and waved towards the group at the table before crossing the tavern to join Cain again.

She looked relieved at something, but it was hard to tell if it was getting away from Isabelle or the tavern. Either way, she looked at the knight as if he was releasing her from the watchful eyes of her father. "Ready when you are," she assured him, nudging the door open ever so slightly, offering Cain the chance to leave first.

Cain knew he was in a bit over his head with Arianna, the princess definitely not being the person she pretended to be around others, or at least not completely. He preferred it that way though, she seemed more genuine and while he knew she couldn't act as anything less than the perfect princess around most, he was slightly flattered that he got a peek at the true her. Of course as she continued to push back he knew he couldn't mess around too much, a knight not being of position to become too flirtatious with royalty, even if it was all a jest. Arianna had no qualms though, practically daring him to be as charming as he could, not that he was so easily goaded. "Well I suppose I will simply have to admit defeat a little early, I am out of practice when it comes to charming beautiful women and do not think I would match expectations." He wondered who else knew the princess' true personality, or what Cain was assuming was the true her. No doubt Isabelle knew but he wondered who else, if any of the knights or her family had any idea that behind the perfect princess exterior was quite the daring charmer. He wouldn't dare ask but he guessed few others, if any, knew, which made it ever more interesting that she chose to show it to him.

His mind continued to mull over the knew information as he waited for the princess, though as she arrived he gave her his full attention. It seemed Isabelle had agreed to the proposal, probably due to Cain's presence as guardian, but regardless it had been handled. Cain simply smirked when Arianna nudged the door open. Cain stepped through, holding the door open for Arianna once he was on the other side. "Don't worry, I'm going to mind my manners from now on." He said with a little wink, the look on Cain's face making him look his age for the first time since he arrived back to the city. Even around Chyanne he had seemed older than he was, a serious face even if relaxed, for that split second that he attempted to slip back into his 'Charming' shoes though, it revealed the other side from before he was such a serious Knight, the person behind both the big brother and knight exterior. It seemed both Cain and Arianna had alternate sides, and he would begin to show his to the princess who had decided to show him. "Now, after you my lady, lead on."

Arianna hesitated at the door when the knight aimed a wink in her direction. She could tell there was something off about the look he had given her; it was far different than what she had seen over the past day. Stepping out of the tavern, she let the door close behind her and started towards the knight, giving him another smile. Her steps were heavy, despite every attempt to lighten them, but because of her boots it was difficult to walk in such a way. "Well, let's see how quickly we can get there," she suggested, letting her eyes wander around the city around them. By now, word of Cain's return had circulated around the lower city and not only children, but adults were waiting in the smaller shops to catch a look of the knight. On top of it all, to see the princess walking with the lost man was a second treat to those who had taken the effort to come out to the street.

The princess, although she greeted everyone politely, didn't waste much time in the streets. If Cain was caught, the woman slowed down to give him a chance to catch up, but she kept a close eye on the time displayed by the sun above. It was important that the two of them entered the upper city as quickly as possible, needing to get to the shop before the apothecary closed. As soon as they entered the higher streets, Arianna picked up the pace, not seeing much of a reason to slow down. Most of the people in the higher end were used to the royal family taking walks in their streets, so most didn't bat an eye, except to greet the princess with a polite bow. Arianna responded to most, but continued on, speaking to Cain when it seemed appropriate.

"How often did you have to walk before you left?" she asked, taking a look at the knight beside her. "I've only ever watched the knight's morning training. I can't say I know what they do during the rest of their day."

Cain knew instantly that speed wouldn't be possible, not with the two of them no matter how hard they tried. The people of lower city had already gathered, many to see Cain, the returning war hero, and others to see their princess. So when it took them some time to get to the upper city he wasn't surprised or disappointed, he had a chance to speak to a few people he hadn't seen in awhile and while he did rush the conversations it didn't do much good, especially with some of the kids he hadn't seen in awhile, the younger ones not able to take a hint. He smiled and was courteous, not only his knight side but his true self loving his friends and those in his community. When they finally did arrive at the upper city he was glad, glad that they could finally get a move on without as much distraction, though many of the people in the upper city looked on curiously. None of them really came to greet the pair but apparently both the 'Hero' and 'Princess' together warranted some attention, whether it be because of the unexpectedness or some other reason Cain wasn't quite sure.

Cain was glad when he could talk with Arianna again, the conversation with her being by far more interesting than with most other people. "I walked every day, not at the same places of course but I made it a point to get out and do my part in the patrols every day." He took a moment and thought about how most people didn't know what they did, even the regular citizens probably didn't realize how much the knights did for them. "Well I monitored both morning and afternoon training when I had a chance, but I also patrolled like all the other knights do, though I rarely went on out of city recon or missions." He tapped his chin as they continued to walk, "I was actually in charge of just about everything for the knights, making schedules and overseeing the training of the new recruits. We also look into things such as thefts, serve as ambassadors to the outer provinces, and provide protection details to high risk visitors and cargo transportation. I guess we do a bit of everything to be honest." He smiled, being a knight was what he had lived for, but training others was his favorite part of the job. "I think finding new knights is the most fulfilling duty, finding those who will make it through the program, whipping some of the aristocrats into shape, those who think they can do it just because of blood, it's interesting every time." Cain stopped after that, continuing to follow Arianna but not wanting to bore her with continuous chatter about the knights and training.

Arianna had never stopped to listen to the full role of a knight. She knew they had the job to guard the city, but was unsure of how they exactly went about doing so. To hear the words coming from an actual knight let them sink in far better than listening to one of her father's lectures. "Were you the one who whipped Michael Lau into shape?" The Lau family were some of the highest nobles in the court, and felt the need to send their son into the knight's ranks. Arianna had met him when they were children and from even the youngest age, he was cocky and was a well known know-it-all. After he had joined the knights as soon as he could, at the youngest age they would allow, and was swiftly shown that he was nothing, compared to the older men he was forced to train with. The princess smiled at just the thought of Cain being the man who pushed him into his proper place within their ranks.

"It sounds like your job is much more than people make it out to be. I guess there's far more that has to be done other than just general patrols." An uneasy feeling settled in her stomach as she listened to the mention of thieves once again. The idea of having to face Cain in the near future certainly was something she didn't want to think about. The man beside her was more of a threat than she had ever faced, and there was a good chance she would be caught if he put any thought into his actions. It would certainly be a battle between the two.

Their conversation drew to a halt as they approached one of the many two story shops on the road leading straight to the castle. The building was labelled with several signs of different languages, all symbolizing the same thing; an apothecary. Arianna wasted no time entering the building, greeted by a pleasant scent of mixed herbs and more importantly a young red head. His back was to the door as he checking stock at a nearby shelf. "Welcome," he greeted, without turning his head to look. "I'll be with you in a moment."

Arianna crossed behind him and grabbed his sides, making him jump with a short squeak-like sound. "Afternoon, Jonas," she responded, allowing the man to turn around.

"Your highness." Jonas bowed and gave her a smile. "What brings you here?" He asked, glancing towards her companion as well. "In need of something?"

"Cain here needs a bit of help. Cecil can do that?"

The red head grinned. "You bet." He looked towards the knight and bowed his head. "We'll be more than happy to help."

Back
Top Bottom