Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sword and The Rose. ((Kolath x Butterfly))

Anya came up alongside of him, gazing out over the scene before them, just like was his was doing. She was silent a long time before she sighed, "I wonder if the view from the Duke's manor will ever be able to rival a view like this one..." With another sigh she turned away and started to head towards the way the came, "We should be heading back."

He smiled and stopped her turning her back around. â??We will in a moment.â? He pointed out over the trees in trees and in the light of the setting sun something seemed to shine out there a long way off probably a days journey away. â??See that? That is the top of the dukeâ??s castle, there are two high towers there that can have a beautiful view of this forest. â?? he gently turned and looked into her eyes, â??Promise me when you look out those windows over this forest you will think of me?â?

She had to squint to see what he was pointing at, but the sun glistening off something there helped. So, that was the Duke's manor. He had a castle? Oh dear, she knew her husband to be had a grand life, but she had not thought it to be that grand to be seen from so far away.

Before he even said what his wish for her was, she was already thinking it. So it was easy to smile softly and nod, "I promise. And when you stand on this hill and look out to the towers, will you think of me in return?"

He smiled and brushed his hand over her cheek lightly looking down into her eyes. â??I will always be thinking of you my dear Anya, but when I stand here I promise I will think of nothing but you for as long as I can take the time.â? His deep violet eyes looked into hers as the sun slowly set painting the sky a deep gold and pink. The scene couldnâ??t have been more romantic as the wind lightly brushed past them ruffling her hair and skirts as well as the ends of his mask.

She didn't think a scene could be any more romantic then when they had kissed at the waterfall. In that moment of weakness there, she had shared the most wonderful, passionate kiss with him that she never ever wanted to end. It felt as if it had been unfairly ripped from her as she had to depart. This was like a second chance. It was a grand temptation that had her leaning close to his lips, drawing near. Until... the sun captured the highest tower of the Duke's castle once more and shined out of the corner of her eye. It was a reminded to her. She was promised to another.

"We really need to return," she commented as she broke the moment and pulled away. "The path will be impossible to travel in the dark with your limp."

Nathan sighed knowing that she was right but he had felt her breath on his lips again and wanted to kiss her so badly. He turned with her and started to walk beside her. â??Youâ??re right of course, we should hurry.â?

They made it back to the camp before too much longer though the Foxes limp had gotten a little better and he smiled as he sat back down on the cot. â??I was wondering if I just needed to stretch my legs a little to get right of this stiffness.â? He leaned back against the pillow and looked over at her. â??Thank you for the lovely walk Anya, I will never forget it.â?

She sat down upon her cot and smiled at him, "As will I."

For a few more days, they two of them had their perfect little arrangement. Sleeping beside one another, talking, laughing. She went with him on a walk every day, getting a little further every time and him growing stronger. The limp becoming less and less noticeable.

But all good things come to an end and before the end of the week, the Fox was allowed to leave the medical ward and return to the main camp. His return there was a joyous one. Most of the people there had not seen him since the scene of him falling from his horse and they had feared the worst. Relieve flowed through everyone seeing how well he was. He was crowded at once by people wanting to shake his hand and wish him well, especially the children.

Anya smiled as she watched from the sidelines. She was happy to see him in his element again, though sad that she had lost her private time with him.

Nathan smiled and willingly spent time with the people he had rescued and was so glad to see them all again. At the same time his heart was sad because he knew that Anya and him couldnâ??t be alone as much as they had been. There was no question in his mind now that he loved her wholly and completely. It was all he could do not to tell her how much. the children begged him to come play but he had to say he couldnâ??t, it was sad but he still needed to heal. Besides it was time for dinner and the ladies had heard about the Foxâ??s return tonight in time to make it a feast unlike Anya had ever seen, not even her father had made such a grand feast.

Everyone was welcome at the dinner table tonight even Terra. During the time that The Fox had been away the prince had heard about Terraâ??s explosion at dinner. All anyone knew is that the prince went to see Terra this morning after hearing the Fox was coming back. He spent about an hour in there and when he came out all the guards knew was that Terra was on her knees crying and later she came out and apologized to the cooks, saying she needed their forgiveness first before tonight. When she would ask for everyone in the camp forgiveness.

Anya of course knew who the prince was. It never crossed her mind that he might be able to out her. After all, they had only ever truly meet one time. And there were so many people their that he would never remember her as anything more then a red headed noble lady. And from the few seconds that she and Terra had spoken before joining the table, Terra let Anya know the Prince thought her to be the real deal.

Perhaps though that Anya should have thought more about her actions. For being so calm, she let her noble tendency's slip. First in her greeting. The subtle way that she bowed her head in greeting. The curtsy was not deep, but just, the grace and poise was something that Terra had lacked when she greeted him at first. Then the way she ate her meal. No one had ever noticed in the past how dainty her bites were and how she sat with her back straight, not slumping over the table as she ate like Terra tended to. Anya did not know she was even doing it.

The prince however did notice and raised his eyebrow at that. He also noticed the relationship between the Fox and her. his mind started to slowly work things out also noticing the Foxâ??s manners though they were a little better hidden. He realized that it was easier for a noble man to behave like a peasant since most noble men had little better manners than peasants anyway. He smirked slightly knowing only one noblemen that he would think had the guts and the brains to pull this off. He made a mental note to speak to them both when he got the chance.

Dinner was a joyous affair and it included rejoicing over the saving of the prince. Toward the end the Fox stood up on the table. â??Friends! I know this had been delayed since my injury but there is one important matter that must be dealt with right now. Come those chosen as leaders of their groups!â? people started to get up from the table and the Fox leaned over to Anya. â??Can you and Terra move around to this side? people will need to be able to get to that side across from the prince.â? Since they would have been there well into the morning had every person come forward to pledge their loyalty the camp had been divided into groups and one person chosen to speak for that group. One by one the leaders of the groups came forward and spoke their and their groups loyalty to the prince. Finally the Fox knelt in front of the prince, â??I and my people are in your service for now and always, till our deaths.â? There was a cheer of agreement from the entire camp, and that ended the matter.

There was little else to do Terra quickly gave her apology to the camp and the Fox accepted for them, though there was still some grumbles about it that were quickly silenced. As every one went about their business at the end of the night the prince came up to Anya, â??May I have a moment of your time in private Anya?â?

Anya had been on her way back to her hut with Terra, wanting to know what had brought about the girls change of heart. Something had to bring her around to giving such a humble apology, especially since it was so very out of character for the kind of person she had been portraying all this time. When the prince himself spoke up, wanting her attention for a moment, there was no way she could deny him. "Of course you highness..." she said softly, going off to the side with him.

He led her to one side and out of sight of everyone then turned and looked her in the eyes. â??Just how long do you intend to keep up this charade my dear?â? his eyes were intense as he looked into hers â??Has the Fox not proved himself to having the best of the kingdom as his mission? Why do you continue to pretend to be your handmaid?â?

At first, it could be seen in her eyes that she was confused as to what he was talking about. And then it was all making sense and her face went pale white. There was not use in trying to deny it. "It's.... we did it at first to attempt to have me released as a sign of good will to my fiance the Duke of Mount Point, but the Black Fox would not let me go. By then, the lie had done on to long and grown to large to tell the truth. Will you tell him?"

The prince had clearly been about to say something and then stopped as she mentioned the name of her fiancé. He blinked and then smirked a little before shaking his head. â??You are marrying the Duke of Mount Point? Then you should be careful dear, the Fox is a dashing rouge and you wouldnâ??t want to love two men in your life.â? he kissed her hand and turned quickly going to the Foxâ??s rooms waiting for him.

The moment the Fox came into his private rooms and saw the prince there he dropped to one knee. â??Forgive me your highness I didnâ??t know you were in here.â?

The prince waved his hand. â??That deep of a bow doesnâ??t fit a man of your position. You defend the northern border of the kingdom, and have the right to stand on your feet level with me, Lord Duke.â?

The Fox froze his heart racing, how had the prince known. â??Your majesty Iâ?¦â?

â??Think carefully of your answer, you took an oath to never lie to you king even under his orders. A oath many have forgotten, are you one?â?

The Fox sighed and reached back pulling his mask off looking up at the prince as he stood. â??No my lord, I would never lie to you even if it meant my death. Please forgive the hiddenâ?¦â?

The prince waved his hand and smiled. â??Do not worry about it, I just needed to be sure of your identity for my own peace of mind, carry on with your role my lord duke. â?? He smirked again and walked to the door opening it and stepping out before turning and saying, â??and enjoy.â?

The door closed and Nathan was left alone.

Anya retreated to the hut with Terra and the two shared their encounters with the Prince. She did however leave out his parting warning he had given. It was too late for not loving the Fox, yes, but that was a thought that had not occurred to her before now. What is she fell in love with the duke as well? What then? Could a heart belong to two men at once? Was there even room in it for the Duke to have a chance when she at last stood before him?

It was thoughts like that which haunted her into the night. Terra was long asleep while she lay awake staring up at the ceiling. But it was not just her racing mind keeping her awake. It was not having him near her. The sound of his breathing as he slept beside her. Having grown two use to it, without it... there was no sleep for her that night.

Nathan had much the same problem. The princeâ??s words bothered him, something about them made it clear the prince knew something that he didnâ??t. He laid looking up at the ceiling sighing deeply wondering what it was that was keeping him up. There was no sound it was still as could beâ?¦that was the problemâ?¦she wasnâ??t there. He groaned softly as he realized just how much he had come to rely on her being there. Finally after hours of tossing and turning he got up and started to write a the needed letters and things he would need later on when the girls were ransomed.

Finally the dawn came and he had not slept at all. Sighing he pulled his mask back on and stepped out to meet Anya for their walk, and to get breakfast with her.

The Fox blinked and smiled reaching out and taking her hand. â??No I didnâ??t sleep well at all, my night was plagued with complete and utter silence.â? He slowly walked with her heading for the breakfast table that was laid out for everyone to take as the woke and needed. He poured himself and her a glass of milk sighing deeply. â??You sleep well?â?

She sighed as she took the glass from him and bid him her thanks, "Unfortunately, my night was much of the same. Did not sleep a single moment. I may have had the sound of Terra in the bed next to me but..." she smiled slightly and nipped her lower little a little embarrassed, "It just wasn't the same."

He sighed nodding, â??I know what you mean.â? He thought for a moment and then smiled and taking a cloth gathered some fruit cheese and meat then took her hand. â??Come letâ??s just go be together somewhere away from all this.â? He started to walk toward the woods his hand still in hers the small bundle of food in his other hand.

She smiled lightly and nodded, "Yes, lets!" she giggled lightly as she followed him off into the woods. It felt so very fun and playful the way they had just picked up and took off into the unknown together. Not knowing if she'd ever get a chance to just leave her worries behind for a time, she was going to take it while she had it.

The pair wandered off into the woods until they came across the waterfall they had first kissed at. It was not as romantic as it had been with the moonlight and such that night. Now, in the daylight, it was more like a tranquil retreat to just relax. "Let's eat here," she said, tugging his arm to stop him.

He smiled and nodded sitting down beside a large old tree and laid out the picnic he had gathered for them. â??Oh dear I forgot something to drink.â? He sighed and looked at the crystal clear water and smiled. â??I guess we will have to suffer with the basic perfection of nature.â? He laughed softly and then patted the spot next to him wanting her to join him.

She shrugged a little bit, "Water is fine with me. It does look clear and fresh. But first..." she lowered herself to the ground by the tree, sitting beside him and her back up against the tree, "First we eat." Reaching for an apple, she bit into it, making a loud crunch that showed it's freshness. "Mmmm," she savored the taste as she leaned against the trunk of the tree.

He smiled and picked up a bunch of grapes and leaned back with her resting his head back against the tree pulling them off one by one eating them slowly. The beautifully ripe grapes exploded in his mouth with fresh juice. He leaned over smiling offering some too her. he was feeling a little tired still since a sleepless night and this setting plus the company was slowly making him more so.

She nibbled at the grapes, nibbled at the apple, getting comfortable as she started to lean a bit against his shoulder, resting her head there and sighing. "It's so very peaceful here..." she commented as she took some of the meat he had bundled up and began to nibble at it as well. "Relaxing... I could just fall asleep to the sound of that waterfall." She laughed slightly, "Perhaps I should try to sleep out here tonight." But was wasn't just the waterfall, but him as well. His presence soothed her.

Back
Top Bottom