Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sword and The Rose. ((Kolath x Butterfly))

Anya heard the commotion and it drew her attention to finally notice that he had returned. He had not seen her yet, not meet her eyes with his, but already her heart raced. Just from the memory of them alone, goosebumps covered her skin.

But then soon she was laughing at the scene before her. A grown, masked bandit, being chased by a mob of children no taller then his waist. Truly it was a sight to see and soon the whole group still upon the playing field was laughing at it. But then they were pulling him right towards the game field and she knew she'd soon be playing the game with him. Part of her was please, part of her afraid. Thank goodness for the children. They kept the mood light and cheery for her.

As he was pulled to the middle of the field, everyone split off into their teams once again. Anya step forward and handed him a spare cloth to hold his hands together as they played, "It seemed, Sir Fox, you have little choice in the matter. The children outnumber you...." she smiled as she took a step back, "You're on defense."

The ball went back into play and Anya captured it with her foot, kicking it towards the goal. Seemed she was not on the same team as he was.

He smirked at her and took the cloth tying his own hands back and moved to take a defensive position. And the game was off again quickly building into full swing. It was quickly found that his cloak was too much of a advantage and it was removed by Jacob, who couldnâ??t help but laugh at the situation. Now in just his mask he lined up across from Anya his purple eyes gleaming dangerously. â??Well my dear beautiful handmaid I believe you are in my way.â? The ball was thrown in and he was moving using his shoulder to push past her. he wasnâ??t rough just pushing enough to throw her off balance as he took control of the ball and started it toward the goal.

She suddenly had an idea. It was tricky and honestly didn't know if it was going to work. It was worth a try. Her team was behind after all. As he pushed past her, she spun and tumbled to the ground, "Ow!" she squeaked out.

Poor Nathan was thrown into a sudden crisis of honor. He had just knocked a lady over and it was the proper thing for him to do was stop and help her up. However he also had a duty to his team to keep them ahead. Finally beauty won out and he skidded to a stop just a step from where he had knocked her down. Dropping to a knee beside her he leaned down looking into her eyes. â??Are you alright?â?

Anya pouted her lip a little and sniffled, "Well..." she started to answer before the pout became a wide smirk and she sprang up, throwing herself over him so she was holding him down with her upper body. "Get the ball!" she yelled to her teammates, laughter filling the air at the trick the Fox had just fallen for. And from a woman never the less.

Her teammates went into action, using her distraction to snatch up the ball and head for the goal with it.

The Fox was taken completely off guard as she jumped him. He fell to one side and glared up at her as she tried her best to pin him down. â??That was cheap, any gentleman would have stopped for you.â? He pushed up against her trying to shake her off of him rolling over onto this back and sitting up looking down at her, before working to get his feet under him and then pushed back up already having been too late to affect the outcome of the goal.

She smirked up at him never the less, looking quite proud of herself and what she did, "Well then, it's good to know that you are a gentleman after all." She held her hand towards him and raised a brow in question, "Would a gentleman also help a poor fallen girl to her feet? Even if she tricked him to tie up a game?"

He smiled and took her hand helping her up slipping an arm around her waist to steady her after she stood. â??Only a gentleman would do such a thing though.â? He smiled and then realized that he was still holding her close. He coughed and stepped back. â??Iâ??m glad that you are not hurtâ?¦weâ?¦we should get back to the game.â? If he hadnâ??t been wearing that mask he would have been clearly blushing.

Her lips parted as if to speak, but a voice called from across the way, "Anya!" Her head turned to see Terra's head poking out of hut the girls shared. "Forgive me Sir, but I am afraid I am needed." She handed him the cloth in her hand and when she say the man that had been her guard she smiled at him as well, "You can watch me from here. I'm just going to the hut there. No need to stop your own fun." Give him a little bob of a curtsy, she then turned to the Fox once again and gave a bit of a deeper curtsy, "It was a pleasure sir."

With that she picked up her skirts and jogged her way towards her hut. The guard came up next to him as they both watched her go, "That one is something different Fox. She acts more like she is free here then a captive. Very odd... but a nice girl never the less." As she disappeared into the tent, the guard returned to the game.

Nathan nodded slightly seeing what it was that the guard was talking about. he took the two cloths and handed them to one of the by standers. He had work that needed to be done but other things were starting to worry him. mostly about his relationship with this handmaid. It was slowly starting to build up from just simple flirting.

He shook his head trying to clear it as he closed the door to his privet rooms. He just wished that he could ransom her quickly but there was no way that could happen, not with the plans that were already in motion. He would just have to tough it out till he was able to finish the plan and then ransom his bride to be.

The Fox was not alone for long as some kind of commotion came from outside his hut and then the door flew open... and Terra was welcoming herself inside. "I'm sorry Fox!" came one of this guards voices from behind her as he entered a second after, Anya appearing in the doorway a second after that and another guard with her. "She just took off! We couldn't stop her without hurting her."

"I want to speak with you, Black Fox. Right now..." Even after the commotion she had started, she seemed calm and collected making her demands of him once again.

Fortunately for Nathan he had just pulled his mask on when the door was pushed open. It would have been very bad had she come in just a few moments earlier. Waving to the guard that it was okay he sat down in the one chair in the room and leaned back putting his feet up on the table he used for maps and notes. â??What can I do for you your grace?â? his eyes just captured the sight of Anya and his heart skipped a beat but there was no time for that now.

Terra came further into the room before turning and motioning for Anya to step closer. The handmaiden did. Suddenly Terra was smiling and her usually demanding voice softened, "Mr Fox... I suppose that is what I should call you. We have been here for nearly a week already and you have not given us any kind of word on our ransom. Now I know my father and he will not negotiate with you. Period. And I doubt that my husband to be would either... without some sign of good will. Proof that I am indeed unharmed. Therefore..." she motioned to Anya, "I propose that you release my hand maiden and send her to my husband to be so that she may speak on your behalf in favor of my well being."

This was the moment the girls had been thus far preparing for. Establishing Terra as a demon woman and Anya as they sweet girl that would not harm a fly. If he said yes, it would get the true lady to safety and foil his plans to ransom the other for whatever high price he was asking.

"It will be difficult to survive without my hand maiden, but a sacrifice I am willing to make to hurry this ransom along more swiftly."

The Fox sat there as Terra made it very very clear why her handmaid should take proof of life to her husband to bed. Under normal circumstances he would agree with her but right now he needed them both to stay here because he couldnâ??t be back at his castle. He slowly seemed to think it over then shook his head. â??No, there is no need for that.â? He stood and grabbed Terraâ??s hand roughly taking the signet ring from her hand. â??This will be proof enough that we have you and one of your guards will be enough to say you are alive and unharmed. After all I would hate to deprive you of your faithful handmaid.â? He sat back down picking up a quill and starting to write something. Completely dismissing them without saying anything.

Both girls paled, looking to one another before Terra ran out, like always Anya following. They said nothing until reaching their hut and were once again alone. Terra feel down upon her bunk in shock, "It didn't work.... our plan. Our one and only plan to get you to safety and it didn't work..."

Anya was just as stunned and at first had nothing to say before at last she sighed, "We tired and that's all we could do."

"We will try again!" Terra suggested, sounding hopeful. "We will wait a few days and then try again."

Anya only shook her head, "No. If we keep pushing the matter, the Fox will start to suspect something. Perhaps we tried to soon but it's to late for that now. We are both stuck here until the Duke pays for our ransom."

"What of your father the earl?"

Anya only shook her head, "I am no longer his responsibility. He washed his hands of me the day that he sent me off to marry. He'll not pay for someone that will not even be under his own roof. Our only hope is the Duke."

"He'll pay, won't he?"

Anya shrugged her shoulders, "I hope he does. If not we will be getting use to living under these conditions and under the Fox's rules for quite some time." It was odd but.... while Anya should be upset that this was a block in their road, she was actually relieved to be remaining in the Fox's camp awhile longer. There was something about it. Something about.... him.

Nathan sighed as they left. they were going to be a problem he could already tell but there was something about Anyaâ?¦maybeâ?¦just maybe.

====

The next day he was up early going out for a run through the wood. He could move as silently as an elf people said and the fact that he never failed to come back with a buck even when they could not made them think he was part elf. The truth was much less magical he had been trained by one of the greatest woodsmen of their time and knew everything there was to know about the wood.

He came back with a large four point buck for lunch and was immediately swarmed by the children begging him to give them a archery lesson. He tried to pretend to resist but in truth he loved giving them. Finally they â??Convincedâ? him to do it and the childrenâ??s and a few adult bows were brought out, and the lesson began.

Terra was starting to become panicked and Anya could tell it as well. It was strange, for Anya was the one who should be worried. She was the truth Terra after all. But she was still light hearted and free in this place. She went out about the camp with one of her guards. By lunch she had to swap guards once more and the joked with her that they would need to speak with the Fox about lifting at least her guard duty. She was such a wanderer that they were working harder watching her just play with children and held the women then when they could be working towards more important tasks.

Seeing the buck being prepared for lunch, she couldn't help but ask where it came from. "I didn't know any hunting party was out so early..."

"No hunting party," the guard told her, "Just the Fox. He's not called the Fox for nothing. He's quite the hunter."

Her eyes went wide, "He took down the buck all by himself?"

"He's the best mark's men in the land. Anyone would be lucky to learn to wield a bow and arrow from him." He pointed across the way, "See, he even teaches the children."

Of course, watching him from afar was not good enough for her. Draw to the scene, she wandered that way, guard following behind. Keeping her distance, she watched the lesson as she leaned against a tree. She couldn't help but think about how such a large, powerful man, masked with black fabric and that long menacing cape... looked so natural surrounded by children. And how the children in turn was not at all afraid of him.

The Fox was at that moment going over the proper stance and how to draw the string correctly. He noticed her standing off to the side watching the group and he couldnâ??t stop a idea coming to his mind. He smirked and left the kids for a moment working on their pulling and stances. He came over to Anya smiling and taking her hand kissing the back softly. â??Good day my lady would you care to join the lesson? I know that the children would love to have you join us.â? Those younger children that had already become attached to her cheered and came over leaving their bows on the ground and grabbing her hands. â??Yes come join us!!â?

Anya blushed ever so slightly as he approached and kissed her hand. Many a man had kissed her hand and called her 'milady' before... but something about the way he did it and used the more informal 'my lady' instead felt like it was an uncommon treat for her. Much like the Fox did not have a choice in their game yesterday, she smiled down at the children. "I would love to," she directed towards the children. Then directing the rest of her words to him, "It doesn't seem as if I have much of a choice." Joining the lesson one of the children handed her a bow and arrow and she joined the ranks. Most of the children were more skilled at the stance as well as holding the bow then she was, but she was a fast learner. Usually.

He smiled and turned back to the lesson gently instructing all those here on the proper use of a bow. He walked down the line adjusting stances and arm positions. The lesson was an easy one the targets were just a short distance away, and the bows were light pulling pounds. He carefully showed everyone the proper way to notch an arrow making sure it was properly settled. â??Clear range!â? he called out even though no one was down wind of the range her explained that it was always done to keep everyone safe. â??Take your positions!â? he walked down the line again slowly coming toward her.

Sucking up all that he was saying, absorbing it, letting it sink in... she still was not perfect. The two children on either side of her had far better stances then she. Not to say that she was not a hopeless case. There was potential that could be seen. She did not even notice that he was walking her way for she was to busy aiming at the target, one eye closed as she aimed.

He came up behind her and stood watching her smiling. She was going to be way off but there was only one way to learn. â??Fire!â? all the arrows were loosed sending dozens of pointed target shafts sinking into wood of the targets. He took a moment to look over the other targets, and all were right where he thought they should be. He stepped up behind her waiting for her reaction to her shot which was off badly not even hitting the outer ring.

As she let the arrow fly, her other eye opened and she looked hopeful... only to be totally let down by where the arrow landed. Glancing at the children' targets only made her feel worse about it. Her shoulders slumped in disappointment. Even the littlest child had better aim then she did.

He smiled and stepped up behind her his hands gently coming down on her shoulders. â??Thatâ??s not that bad for your first shot my ladyâ? he pulled another arrow from the stashing in front of them and held it out to her. â??Okay get into the stance again and be ready to fire and I will show you what you are doing wrong so you can get better.â?

Anya looked to the arrow in his hand, and then to the target, then once again to the arrow before she at last took it, "Very well... if you think I have a chance at getting any better at it..." she readied the arrow just as she had the first time, holding it up and going into the stance once again, "And you can call me Anya. My lady is far to formal for a handmaiden." She also was rather sick of being called that. She just wanted to be Anya... even if it wasn't her own name. "Like this?" she asked as she aimed again. The children were all watching Anya and the Fox.

Back
Top Bottom