Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Not what it seems(blair/lady)

Kate nodded, not wanting to argue with him. She didn't want him to be angry with her while he was tired, for he might make irrational decisions... She watched the needle slide into the skin of his forearm, her stomach knotting up at the sight. Well, he knew what he was doing, right? He had done it plenty of times apparently, and maybe a little something to keep him focused wasn't too bad... She gasped when she noticed that he had not opened his eyes for a few moments, stumbling away from the bed and over to him. Her heart was racing as she moved to grab his face with both of her hands. Shit. This could not be happening. Part of her was scared that she was about to lose her only chance at protection from Alexander, but part of it was simply because she couldn't see him die. No... she was starting to feel herself growing... attached to the complicated man.

"Zane!" she asked, dropping into his lap so she could get level with his face. She lightly patted his cheeks. "Zane! Wake up. Come on, wake up. Please..." She bit her lip, fear in her eyes. This was too dangerous of a place to be with out Zane there to protect her, even if he was only doing it because he liked her for the sex... or so she thought.

Zane started ,gasping as he patted his cheek, blinking stupidly at her as he smiled sleepily. Despite the dugs, the poor guy really just needed to sleep. Not that he'd ever admit to it. Shifting he ran his hands over the girl sitting in his lap, now that the girl was close to him, he couldn't help but touch her. "I'm awake. Why are you hitting me?"He whined looking up at her, "I idn't fall asleep."He grumbled shifting to reach for the law book sitting on the desk, even if it was obvious to everyone but the man himself that he just needed to lay down.

Kate let out a deep sigh of relief, even too distracted to care if he immediately started to run his hands over her. She shook her head and pushed the book away, worry in her eyes. "No," she snapped, "You're being ridiculous. You literally just passed out while on coke." She narrowed her eyes at him. Yes, he may be the dominant in the relationship, but this was different. She was not only scared for him, but scared of what would happen to her if he wasn't around. One of her hands stayed on his face, and it was then that she knew what she'd have to do to get him into bed. Reaching down, she took the hem of her shirt and pulled it up and over her head. Do to lack of bra, she was now topless and sitting in his lap. "Come on... Don't you want to lay down with me?" she asked innocently, "Work will be there in the morning..." Leaning forward, she began to kiss at his neck, finding herself getting lost in her "act". Fuck. He smelled so good... so masculine... so sexy.

"I did not!"Zane frowned as he groped her, smiling slightly at hthe girl in his lap before sighing as she touched his face eyes widening a little as he watched her get undressed."Hmmmm if I new I was going to get a lap dance for not working I would have done this sooner."he said snickering a little, leaning own to brush his lips over a nipple as he stood holding her easily in his arms as he ove ti the bed settling her ever so gently onto the bed. Laying down next to her, but within seconds of the man's boy going horizantal, the man was out. Breathing deeply and well it was obvious that he'd just past out due to lack of sleep, not overdose or something wrong.

In the morning Zane groaned, burying his head in the pillow, tightening his arm around kate's waist, pulling her closer, his head aching like someone was shoving something through his temple. Swallowing hard he forced his body to move, sitting up slowly. Cursing under his breath when he realized he had to be at court soon, he gently shook kate awake."Kate.Will you go across the hall and grab jax for me?"He asked slowly and painfully starting to get ready for work.

Kate slowly sat up in the bed, her eyes blinking as she looked around the room. As she glanced at the clock, she noticed it was 5AM. Damn. She'd probably shoot up drugs too if she had to be up this early in the morning. Yawning, she ran a hand through her messy blond hair and nodded. "Um, sure," she murmured, slowly peeling herself away from the cozy bed. Moving across the room, she wrapped Zane's robe around her and padded across the hall. She'd actually never walked around outside of Zane's room by herself, for the thought scared the shit out of her, but Jax's room was no far away.

When they returned, Jax followed Kate in looking perplexed. He had not seen his brother in a couple weeks, it seemed, for he was locked away with Kate most of the time. While everyone else, including their father, thought Zane was simply working and fucking, Jax had the idea that he was purposely keeping Kate away from their father... And judging my how comfortable she looked in Zane's robe, his suspicions were true. Zane had a soft spot for this girl; something Jax didn't think was possible after their sister died.

"Morning," Jax murmured, already dressed in one of his most stylish suits, his face clean shaved and his hair styled. "Damn, you look like shit." He nodded to his brother, noticing his current physical appearance. He couldn't remember a time he saw Zane not look put together.

Zane winced at the man's words as he sat on the edge of the bed, staring at his feet with a pained expression on his face."Oh thanks.You look well dressed to."He said sulking a little as he slipped his shoes on, trying to ignore the pounding headache a she laced up his shoes."I have to go.Can kate stay with you this morning?"He said looking worried, because it bothered him to leave her here, but he was afraid to take her with him, since he never allowed anyone to go to work with him, so he knew if he took her with him, his father would freak out again.

Running his fingers through his hair he sat down at his desk, shuddering a little as he slid the needle into his arm, needing the drugs to ease the wicked mirgraine he had. Shuddering a little as the coke took some of the pain,but made it worse to, he glanced at jax."I wont be gone all day. Probably just this morning.Me and Jack were planning on doing something this afternoon."He said trying to sound like it was a normal thing for him to ask jax to watch a girl, even if it was a rarity for Zane to worry enough about someone enough to feel protective. Not since sorsen'sdeath hd he gone out of his way to protect a girl in his care

Jax looked taken off guard by the question. He looked at Kate, then at Zane. His shoulders lifted up into a shrug. "Uh, yea, I guess..." he murmured, a little surprised. Usually, Zane just left his girls in the cell room with the rest of them... However, Jax wasn't going to argue with his brother. In fact, he thought it was sort of nice to see him caring about something other than work for once. "I have some studying to do, but I guess she can stay in my room and... I don't know, watch TV." He shrugged. "And I guess I can take her on my errands..." Jax sighed. As much as he was willing to do this for his brother, he was still a bit of a loner, and it was odd to have someone intrude on his day.

Kate looked started at Zane's statement. "Wait, I'm staying?" she murmured, trying to hide as much fear and disappointment as possible. She still wasn't sure about Jax, and she didn't want to get Zane in trouble. Not when she needed him so much to stay alive... Sighing, Kate pouted a bit and sat down on the bed. Her eyebrows scrunched together when she saw him slide the needle into his arm. It seemed to other her just as much as it had last night, if not more. "Haven't you ever heard of coffee?" she snapped, her voice sarcastic. However, something about the tone of her voice suggested she was worried.

Zane snickered a little as he looked at jax, amused that the man seemed surprised before shrugging a little."I wont get laid if I just locked her in the cell.She'll kick me."He said sulking a little, looking like a put out child, because he just knew that if he locked her up upstairs with the other whores, kate would never let him hear the end of it. And he had better uses for her mouth."Don't look so worried, Jax.It'll do you good to have a girl with you,even if you can't touch her."He said jealously showing in his eyes for a moment, just at the thought of jax and kate together even if he was just teasing the two.

"You are.I have to be in court all morning,very boring."Zane said smiling a little before glancing up at her,"Try going to law school.I've drank so much coffee I had to graduate to the hard stuff to feel anything."He said shrugging as he stood leaning down to kiss her forehead."I'm fine. Promise."He said hiding just how badly he was feeling, beause he didn't want to worry her. Moving away he smiled at jax."Call if you need anything."He said looking t the two, looking....worried about leaving them together but knowing he had to go, otherwise his father would be pissed. Heading for the door to head out.

"Don't worry, I've never been much for playing with your things when your not around. At least not after you broke my arm for playing with your play station when I was ten," Jax murmured, wincing at the memory. Zane had not really meant to break his arm, but their fist fight got pretty intense, and Jax landed on the ground wrong... Looking down at Kate, he raised his eyebrows and nodded for her to follow him into his rooms so he could get some studying done before lunch.

Kate, on the other hand, did not look calm about the situation. She was not happy about being left with Jax, even if Zane seemed to trust him. Not to mention, she was absolutely perplexed with Zane shooting up. She didn't like it. Not at all. But she wasn't willing to admit it bothered her too much. She didn't want him to think that she cared for him on any level past protection... All she could hope for was that he wouldn't have any work to do tonight and he'd be smart enough to rest.

Zane smiled as he left, looking preplexed by his reacton to the worried look kate had given him, not about to admit he felt oddly pleased at her worrying him about.

Cursing silently as he walked up the stairs, jack swallowed hard as he swung into jax's room, not even knocking as he looked at the two, walking to the bed and gripping kate's arms in his hands as he made her look at him, making sure he had her attention. Anger and fear making him careless."Kate.What did he take this morning?"He said anger coloring his words, anger because it worried him that he knew what was wrong, and he so didn't want to think about it."is there any of it left?"He said wondering if zane had finally lost his mind and overdosed or if something else was going on with him. The fact that he was there by himself with zane, was in itself worrying.

Kate was laying on Jax's couch, her legs up underneath her and a book in her hands. She looked startled when Jack walked in, confused as to why he'd come with out Zane. Of course, she wasn't going to say anything. She didn't want Zane knowing that she'd spent every minute of the day wondering when he'd be back so she felt truly safe again. Jac was nice enough, but different from the eldest brother. When Jack grabbed her by the arms, her eyes went wide, and her nerves took over. "I don't know. Coke I think," she stuttered, "I... I don't know. Maybe in his desk. He took a lot." The worry in his voice made her drop the mask she had on so he couldn't see how much she truly worried for Zane. Now she was scared. "Why? What happened?"

Jax jumped up from his desk, reaching down and moving Jack's hands from Kate. "Good way to get yourself killed these days," he murmured, then swallowed hard. "Fuck... Where is he?"

Jack was already moving away from kate when jax moved his hands. "Well, if Zane would stop getting hismelf killed these days I wouldn't be upset."He muttered looking shaken himself as he stopped, taking a deep breath. Trying to be calm, knowing he was scaring them both, but he wasn't used to seeing his friend hurt, much less sick he couldn't focus."Memorial hospital. He passed out in court this morning. We think someone screwed with his drugs, but I needed to know what he'd taken to be sure."He said ovexplaining his reasons for demanding a answer.While he knew zane, even if he took alot the man was tolerant of the drug. It was only something terribly wrong that could get a serious reaction like this.

Crossing the hall he dug through zane's desk, looking relieved as he found the last of the drug,tucking the syringe in his pocket before looking at kate and jax slightly amused that they'd both followed him to zane's room.Zane would be so pleased to know they cared. The amusement dying quickly as he thought about his friend."Do you two want to come?Dante's standing guard with him right now."He said looking as upset as he ever did over something.

Kate jumped up and moved after them both, already grabbing her jacket, scarf,and boots before he even had a chance to ask if she wanted to go. She quickly nodded, her face pale from the idea that someone had tampered with Zane's drugs. Jax moved over to grab Kate by the arm, following Jack down to his car. Once down there, he got Kate into the back seat and moved into the passenger seat. "Is he going to be okay? Awake, atleast?" he asked quickly, putting on his seat belt. Great. It definitely was not going to look good to the press to see Zane Lindstrom pass out from bad drugs in the middle of court.

Kate sat in the back seat, scared out of her mind. She was worried for him, and she was also worried about what would happen to her if he was not around. Hell, she knew what would happen. She'd be dead or tied up in the basement of some guy who paid Alexander a few million dollars... But besides that, she had found herself attached to the man she's spent so much time with over the past couple weeks, and her attachment was starting to kick in more than ever now that she feared for his safety.

Jack glanced at jax as he backed out of the driveway, glad that they'd managed to not see alexander. the last thing he wanted to do was explain to the mobster why his son had past out, at least not until they figured out just how screwed up zane was. Hopefully no one would talk....though he was kidding himself if he thought they'd be able to keep him passing out from the evening news. It was going to be ugly.

"He's awake and will be fine.. Sort of. we wanted to drug him again to let him sleep off the pain.."He said looking amused, needing to believe that his friend would be fine even if they weren't sure. Since he wasn't dead yet, they figured it wasn't a lethal tampering, just something to screw him up, but it was still bad for him."You know him, grouchier then a tiger with a sore paw, even if it would be better if he just slept through it, he's trying to stay awake to know what the hell's going on."he said because it was true. Even if it did more harm then good,zane wouldn't allow them to put him asleep, because it scared him to not be in control of things. And having someone fuck him up made the man even more paranoid because zane didn't know what the hell they'd laced his drug with, so his paranonia and anxiety was off the charts, which was probably a good thing that kate was going. She'd probably get him to calm down.

Jax nodded, looking relieved to know that Zane was well enough to still be acting like a control freak. He'd be more worried if his brother actually let someone put him to sleep... Once in the hospital, the moved to the fourth floor with the more private rooms. Dante, their most trusted guard, stood at the door with a stoic expression. He nodded for them to go in. He didn't even look bothered to see Kate with them. If anyone knew about he soft spot Zane had for this girl, it was the guard that worked the night shift at Zane's door every night.

Upon walking inside, Kate forgot about Jack and Jax. She moved over to Zane, a mixture of worry and anger in her grey eyes. She swallowed hard and shook her head at him, moving to sit on the edge of the bed. "I hope you're happy," she grumbled, looking visibly shaken. "You scared the shit out of me, and I don't even know why..." She looked confused at her emotions. This man was holding her against her will, and yet she was scared to death that he was going to die and leave her alone.

"It's odd to be relieved he's still being a control freak."Jack snickered tiredly, amused as he read jax's look,looking relieved to see that zane was still up."I'll be back.Going to go hound the lab techs into seeing what his drug was laced with.Call if you nee something."He muttered to jax before leaving them alone with zane.

Zane frowned looking at the two,"Dammit. I told him to not tell you two. I'm fine."He grumbled annoyed to see his brother and girl so upset over what was probably a accident.Maybe.Though the man was paranoid enough to think of a few people that would posion him."Well, I am looking after you. Of course you worried about me."He muttered not understanding that he had truly scared her beyond worrying about herself. So emotionally cut off from caring about others, that he couldn't understand someone worrying about him."Jax needs someone, if he's hovering over you."the eldest lindstrom sulked a little, disliking his girl and brother being together, even if it was his fault they'd spent the morning together. So very confused and drugged that he misread jax's conern for him, for fussing over kate, and that was upsetting the already sick and upset man.

Jax saw the look on Kate face, then looked over at Zane. He sighed and rolled his eyes at what his brother had said. "I'm going down to call a guy I know at the new station. I'll see if I can keep the story for the running," he murmured, nodding for the door. With that, he left his brother and Kate alone, immediately pulling out his cell phone and dialing numbers. Kate watched him leave, then turned to Zane. For some reason, the way Zane made it clear that he thought she didn't care about him past protection hurt her. She did care about him, even if it confused her.

Biting her lip, she shook her head. "No, I was worried," she murmured, "But if you're going to be an asshole about it, I can wait in the waiting room." Her voice was harsh, but her expression wasn't. She shifted into the bed, curling up beside him like a little puppy who had missed hos owner while he was at work all day. It scared her to think that the mob lifestyle was not only a danger to her, but him as well. Up until now, she thought it was impossible to bring Zane down...

Zane looked started at her words running his fingers through his hair, the soft bon locks sticking up every which away he gently wrpped his arm around her pressing a kiss to her head."Just sleep.We'lll be okay."He muttered even if it worried him to be sick, closing his eyes he allowed his body to go to sleep, needing the rest.

That evening Zane frowned a little as he watched the news on silent, watching the sroll bar as they ignored jax's influence and ran the story of zane lindstrom's passing out and their thoughts. The most popular musing was, 'Another lindstrom falls to detective's ambition?', which was the more worrying story, even if he couldn't hear what was being said, or wasn't truly awake enough to understand what t was, he knew that it couldn't be good for jack if the news was thinking he was at fault for getting him posioned. He had no doubt that his friend was being set up to take the fall for the posioning.

Kate nodded, her head on his chest. She wasn't tired, but she felt too safe to object. She wanted to be near him, have him hold her and shield her from everything else. Zane may be a very dangerous man, but Kate found protection in him. And outside of that, she was finding herself becoming more and more attached to him with every passing second... Hours later, she woke up with the feeling that he was not asleep anymore. His breathing wasn't as deep before. "Did you get some rest?" she murmured sleepily, sitting up a little to look at him. Her eyes moved over him, checking him out, then looked over to the television. She bit her lip and looked back at him. "This is going to be bad, isn't it?" she asked, looking worried. Not for herself, but for him.

Zane sighed a little, closing his eyes as he tried to rest." little."He said because he tried so very hard to rest, but he ouldnt' surrender to rest, because it meant being in a strange plae, vulnerable."It is."He said watching the video, frownng slightly at the sight of jack talking to his drug dealer.If he didn't trust his friend explicity, it would look bad. But he knew the lengths jack had gone to protect him,even more since sorsen died. So the story to turn the two friends against each other was going to blow up in someone's face....even if it was going to cost jack everything, because it looked like the papers had somehow gotten ahold of the confidental files of what had happened the night sorsen died. closing his eyes as he rested, determined to not think, determined to not tell her about what he thought about his posioning, because he could think of one person who had a very good reason to see him and jack out of the game, and he didn't want to think about her father endangering her like that, risking getting her killed to just fuck with zane."You should see if jax'd take you home...you're probably not resting well him."he muttered fsusing over her as he raised a hand to stroke her hair, trying so very hard to not worry.

Kate looked troubled by his suggestion, shaking her head and wrapping her around around his stomach. "I'd rest a lot better with you in the same room, no matter where that may be," she admitted, swallowing hard. It was true. She felt safe wherever he was, and she was not about to leave his side. Not now. "Besides, he offered to take me to your house an hour ago while you were asleep, and I said I wanted to stay," she said, closing her eyes a little as he stroked her hair. She smirked a bit, satisfied that she was defying his orders and he couldn't do anything about it. "I hope you know, I'm going to throw a fit if I see you with a syringe again." She frowned at that. "You shouldn't have been doing that in the first place. Didn't you ever get the "don't do drugs" speech as a kid?"

"...well.Okay then."Zane uttered blushing ever so slightly as he shifted, closing his eyes as he shifted snuggling down into the bed trying to relax enough to sleep. needing it. Feeling exhauste even if he had slept a little bit. His head ached, truly his whole body ached like he taken a beating and he couldn't get warm despite sweating. The chills quite common for the posion."No, not really. Father wasn't interested.He said we could indulge."He said smiling a little. "Well,you're lucky your indulgence didn't kill you. This time. Meth and coke mixed together could have been lethal."Jack said as he stepped into the room ooking worrie about them both.Not only because he was worried about how sick zane was, but because of the news. He didn't know zane already knew what happened the night sorsen died, and what really went on after zane passed out. So the police detective had worked so hard to hide it...only to have his brilliant friend already know. He was going to feel so stupid when zane finally got around to telling him that.

Kate frowned and shook her head. "You're father is not much of a father, is he?" she murmured, look disturbed at what he had said. Apparently, to Alexander, his sons were simply heirs and people who worked to keep his ass out of jail. For some reason, Kate hated that. Maybe because deep down, she knew that if Zane was given the opportunity, he could be a very loving person... Well, she thought so anyway. Frowning as he shivered from the chills, she moved to pull the blanket up and over him, trying to help him get to a decent temperature. Even if she didn't want to admit it, he put her into a motherly-like drive. "I can think of healthier, more satisfying indulgences," she murmured with a smirk.

When Jack walked in, she sighed. She was hoping that he would bring any more bad news with him. "Can he go home?" she asked, looking up at him. She then blushed, knowing that she sounded a lot more concerned than she was willing to admit. After all, she was still pretty stubborn. "I mean, he'd get more rest in his own bed..."

"Hmmm me to, but you yelled at me for trying to have sex and work at the same time."he said blushing a little as he shivered tired enough that he was reverting back to the teenaged teasing that he' done when they'd first met. hiding behind the mask he showed the world, because he was in pain and hurting, it was easier to hide them to accept her worrying about him. Having someone fuss over him hurt to much, because it'd been so long since someone had actually done it.

"He can.But he has strict orders to stay in bed and rest. And no working."Jack said tilting his head a little looking thoughtful as he realized just how worried she sounded."I'll go work on getting him checked out if you can get him ready t-Zane!Stop that."He growled amused slightly at the sight of zane already starting to undo his IV and sitting up on his own. The young mobster rolled his eyes as he looked at his friend,"Just go get the paperwork done. I can do this."He said ignoring the nurse that rushed in to help, looking way to comfortable undoing the medical things. It was obvious that he hated hospitals enough that he had done this before.When they were ready to go, he offered a small smile to kate."Are you to angry at me to help me walk?"

Kate sighed as she watched him disregard the trained nurse in favor of ripping out his own IVs. However, she didn't try to stop him. She knew her place, and he was still very much the dominant in the relationship. She may show her distaste for his actions, but she wasn't about to tell him what to do. Not to mention, she was just happy at the idea of getting out of the hospital. His uneasiness about the place was starting to make her nervous. She smirked a bit at his question. For some reason, she couldn't pretend to be mad or stubborn. She was too relieved to know he was okay. "I'm mad," she admitted, "But not too mad." With that, she took his arm and helped him down toward the car, helping him into the passenger seat before getting into the back seat, assuming he'd want to sit up front with Jack, not in the back with her.

Back
Top Bottom