Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Building an Empire with the Gods (Wingshadow x I.Madness)

I

InfectiousMadness

Kale'athan a small kingdom at what most considered the tip of the world. His castle, small as it was, with a small town inside the strong walls, nestled softly in the center of a crescent moon shaped mountain range, keeping the town safe from harm. The entire kingdom held no more than a hundred miles in the south, and fifty miles north where the domain of the sea was all the truly mattered. The earth was filled with farms, the ditches dug to bring water from the once beautiful lake to the fields lay bare, the few crops growing from farmers bringing what was left of that lake grew to little to survive if the rains did not come soon, the fields turning brown, and without much help their kingdom would starve, and looting would begin. The mountains were homes to countless monsters, and then as many bandits living off the few nobles that lived. With his small forces to protect his land rarely being enough though death was rare.

Rayden Kale sighed as he looked at the hot cloudless sky, he had been approached by four of his five advisers that he needed to call for help, if he was not willing what needed to be done, he needed to give his kingdom to a stronger nation, one who could not only do what was needed, but make sure that the people would not starve this year. Kale sighed hearing people call by his last name, a sign similar to saying 'Your Highness' or 'You Majesty' he had many people petitioning him to call for aid, despite his clear objections, but knew he could not hold off any more. Kale moved in front of his mirror looking himself over, deep sea blue pants, with a simple deeper blue belt, and a ceremonial long curved sword at his waist, a sapphire capped hilt, leading to vestments to fit his station, a light blue undershirt, that could be seen at his neck, and darker vest, clasps of silver, leading a blue cloak leading to his feet. His crown was simple around his forehead, not overly grand, but silver as his clasps, the gems were a clear color, that seemed to shift an almost blue color when light caught them, more or less reflecting his outfit.

Kale slid his hand through his short deep brown hair with a sigh, as he looked around with pale hazel eyes to his father's book. He strolled over to it for a moment looking annoyed, the blood of the high magi running through his veins, he was dangerous to attack, in the castle his power was near absolute, the aura of the place weakening all but him in power, he walked to his main hall looking like the king he was, wanting to make sure this monster god he called knew he was not to be pushed around, hoping it did not know how desperate he was for help this day. He adjusted his vestments moving his hands on the ground, soft white powder as he drew on the ground making each image with a swiftness, and accuracy burned into him for years, to make sure he would never make the slightest bit, before long the entire circle was ready for the spell to be cast. He slipped to the side inspecting his work for the moment before smiling at his work.

He then grimaced at the danger, and hopelessness of what was to come. He would not let his lands die, and he did not want to deal with the beings linked with the monsters that had damaged his lands, and killed his father, he bit back his curse, and let his strong body lighten, before he stepped slowly releasing the angry tension his thoughts until his mind was empty. His body relaxed stepping around the drawing to stand in two adjacent opening's to stand in while he chanted, focusing slowly on his need, his power a blase, the powder seemed to blow away, a soft purple glow appeared where the powder was. Then he stood in the light watching the power disperse out as he waited to see what would come of his call. Kale showed no sign of hate, or need, a simple calm look, a soft smile playing at his lips as he simply watched to see what the spell would bring in his most dignified manner.

The purple glow gave way to a mist which flowed out across the room as a thick cloud, coating the floor in a blanket of white. Once, twice, then three times, flickers of lightning flashed out of the open portal to the monster realm, a place shrouded in mystery and untold power. If one peered into the pitch-black darkness within, it was said that one's soul would be snatched away and devoured in the depths of nothingness. Yet, Kale had ignored such warnings and created not an ordinary summoning circle, but one which would call upon the power of one of the mightiest of all monsters, one of several which they called their gods. They possessed amazing power and abilities, of which even the greatest of human magicians could not even fathom or dare to compare, such was the lengths at which this man would go to ensure the survival of his people and kingdom...

Once, twice again the lightning bolts flashed, and from their light the large form of a being began to push its way through the thick haze. Its head entered first, bearing small horns atop its head and long flowing hair draping down its back. It had large clawed hands and armored skin, bearing the loose-fitting yet elegant robes of one who bore office. The body of the creature extended a good twenty feet in length, circling the room as foot after foot of its long, serpent-like form filled the back part of the room. Its eyes glowed dimly in the darkness, and before long its face broke through the mist.

"Greetings, human... I am Mei, the water dragon," she spoke softly, the smooth curves of her elegant face drawing close to him as she crossed her arms over her soft, ample chest. Although most of her body was covered in thick armored scales, her torso, face, neck, and chest where very similar to a human woman's, wrapped with a intricately decorated robe with bright greens, reds, and purples. She reached up with her right hand and gestured before her as she rested her long body down before him and allowed him a few long moments to fully study her body speaking further.

"Ye called upon me in order to make a request, did ye not?" Mei smiled, lacking even a hint of arrogance, malice, or aggression in her tone, "I offer ye my full power and services in exchange for a proper compensation, depending upon the difficulty of the request, of course. All I ask is for ye trust that I will be fair and honest in mine demands, and likewise I will trust that ye will be fully fair and honest in thy requests of myself. Do we have an accord?"

She raised her hand toward him again, asking for a shake of hands in order to confirm the agreement.

Kale felt something he had not expected, the fear of seeing this monster leave the portal he created, his eyes locked on her body as he stepped back keeping his regal appearance for the time being, his heart pounding in his chest beating to the same cadence as his blood seemed to freeze, when the reality of what he had done hit him, the danger of calling for help from a monster was a dangerous line kale doubted at the moment standing before her. One he did not like to take, he glanced out the window for only a moment, to mask his fear stepping back to make sure he could keep most of her into his sight, as his eyes slid slowly to her body.

Kale could not completely hide his shock as best he could however it showed in his eyes. When he had pictured this before he had pictured so many things, none of them so, human. He watched her hand, his eyes dipping to her hand, but he did not reach to take it right away his eyes flowing to her before he stepped forward for a moment. "I would like a moment before making such a deal, just one small assurance..." He paused for only a moment as he watched her for a long second.

Kale spoke with a softer tone, it hinted at a distaste for the deal, but he would make it, "I accept your deal, but your payment may not cause great harm to myself, or my people..." He put his hand out slowly, but did not take her hand, as if to see if she would accept his version of the deal, however he did not trust her that was clear, he did not know what she would do, and felt the fear of her turning him down. If it came to that he would have to take the deal regardless of his fears what she may do.

"Of course," Mei blinked, her soft eyes betraying a hint of hurt from his suggestion that she would even ask such a thing, "I love humans, I wouldn't do anything to harm them... Unlike the stories which ye may have heard about myself or mine companions, the gods of the monster realm do not eat humans, or human souls either for that matter. Ye have my word that not a single one of thine people, nor ye thyself, will be intentionally harmed in any way by thy actions. Of course, I cannot garuntee the safety of every individual from every possible harm, illness, or stroke of fate, as that would be outside even mine ability to do, but I will do my best to support ye in thy rule."

She slowly slid her body around him, viewing him from all angles as her eyes slid up and down his firm form while her long body trailed behind her, foot after foot of her length trailing along the floor as she did so. She might have been simply looking him over, but the way she surrounded him in the process was a bit unnerving to say the least. Finally, she extended her hand toward him once again, "Do we have an agreement?"

Kale smiled as he saw the hurt feeling in her eyes, he almost believed she was telling the truth, but he had been told monsters were great liars, and this was just another show to the truth, why would she care if men were hurt. Then she circled him, judging him, making him feel like a piece of meat, despite her meaning he felt fear, his right hand burst with a pale grey light flaring out, and dissipated just as it showed, as if he had cast a small illusion. However it was his magic, emotion fueled his spells, and the anger flared a deep red in his other hand, anger, a destruction magic aura. He had never been so scared or, so angry in his life.

Kale bowed just slightly as if to accept her words as true, but he held a stiffness to his movement, his face held a light inviting smile, a natural look, one he kept as a mask when hearing the troubles of his people to assure better days were coming, and they would believe him. A man of his word, and that was why he was hesitant of this kind of deal, open ended on both sides, not knowing what he was promising, but would not go back on his word no matter the request, and a deal by him was giving his word to it. "Bargain struck, forgive my ignorance, how do you wish to be called?". He closed his hand around her hand holding it for a moment, to show he would hold to the deal they made.

"Simply call me Mei, if you would," the dragon gave him an uneasy smile, detecting the distrust and seeing through the false trusting facade that he painted upon his face. She shook his hand gently, like a lady of noble birth where if she were human, and slowly withdrew her hand back to the other, crossing them in below her breasts as she considered her next course of action. Kale clearly did not have faith in her, but this much was to be expected considering how rocky relations had been between humans and monsters throughout the generations before. She couldn't exactly blame him for his caution, but she preferred to deal with humans who had less prejudice against her, as breaking through this barrier would make it difficult to work with him if their contract was to be held for any reasonable amount of time.

"Tell me, good king of men, what is it that ye wish for me to perform for thee?" she gave him a pleasant smile and nod, trying to maintain a semblance of good will even in the face of such blaring hostility on his part.

Kale's expression did not change as he watched her for a long moment, his eyes bespoke some of his thoughts, thinking she was doing something to cause it in the first place, but figuring if the creature summoned knew the problem, the need to call them would be gone. "The sun burns the land, and spring showers were weak, and did not leave the extra water it normally did". His expression was slowly faltered, and pity, loss, and hurt painted his face showing his fear for his people to speak of the problem, as he stepped slowly to the window, "I need the weather to keep a steady drizzle for a few days, and a downpour in a week to help restore the land, the steady weather for the year, and an easy winter...".

Kale looked to her for a moment, knowing he needed her for an extended time, and spoke softly, an offering to an enemy it sounded, "Pleased to meet you Mei, my name is Rayden...". He would not have her calling him by his title. Knowing that if she did it would make him feel responsible of her, not something he wanted by the looks of him, he had fixed his face hiding his emotions from her, "That is not asking too much is it?"

"Such care ye pay to thine people, good King Rayden, speaks well of your intentions," Mei smiled softly, tilting her head to the side slightly, "It is but a small matter for me to accomplish this task for ye , but it will require three days of preparation for such a spell to be cast, and of course I will also need to remain here for the duration of the period in order to ensure that everything goes as planned... My only request in exchange is that ye personally oversee that I receive ample energy supplies throughout the process. I am well skilled in calling rains and shine, harsh weather and gentle drizzles, but even I need proper sustenance to such an end."

She pulled her body back toward the far side of the room, allowing him to leave the room if he wished as she coiled her long body up by itself, "If there are no other arrangements for my stay here, I would request that this room be given basic furnishings so that I may reside here. If ye so desire, I may remain out of sight so as not to stir up any unnecessary complications with the members of thine court. Tell me, is this agreeable to thee? I would be willing to answer any questions ye may have."

"I know something of magic, I assumed the time would be needed.". He sounded proud that he had thought of having a room prepared, but when his eyes fell to her long body, he thought for a moment, "I use this room to council, and talk to my advisors, we have a room that should be to your liking, after a few finishing touches...". He would need to have some things changed to accomidate her size, but the room he could move, and change furnishings by nightfall. His eyes followed her for a moment, "The workers, and nobles living here know of you, and that you are under my protection... if you do not wish to come get me yourself you may send someone to call for me..."

Kale was calm for some time before speaking to her his eyes following her form for a moment wondering what she ate to keep energy to move about, "Tell me, what kind of energy sustenance do you require, what do you eat?". He knew how to use magic, but his need flooded him with knowledge of summoning, but what he neededto know about her fled once he knew she would help, and the thoughts were no more than whisps in the air.

"Very well," she nodded, although she was a bit confused as to why he had used his conference room to draw a monster summoning circle in the first place, "I will leave it up to you to make the arrangements."

"My body is sustained by the same sorts of foodstuffs which a human would find palatable as well, so feel free to provide for me in that way with whatever meals that you desire to grant me," Mei replied to his question gently, and added with a fair amount of hesitance, "However, my magical energy is restored through copulation with human males, preferably young a lively ones. I assure you, the process is completely safe and will cause no harm to anyone who embraces me in such a manner. Some even find it to be quite pleasant. They might be a bit fatigued, but no worse for the wear."

Kale gave her a soft smile as he watched her, seeming weary of this for a moment, "You will be shown to the dining hall, and when dinner is served you will be sent for. As for the second, if the need suits you feel free to call me to help you with such things". Kale walked slowly to the door, leaning out the door to issue a command before stepping back toward Mei placing one hand on the bottom of the hilt of his sword. Just slightly leaned back some standing straighter, "Tell me do you have any questions or needs of your own to be granted"? He seemed a little awkward of such things, not many males in the castle were eligible for such actions, Kale still unwed, and young enough for her needs. He looked to the side just slightly, net letting any form of blush his cheeks, but it was still a shock to know it as a kind of need of hers. He was ready to leave her to her own devices if she felt they had no more to say to each other.

"Are ye certain, good Rayden? I... I suppose I will leave it at that, then," Mei decided against pushing the issue, as she picked up on the fact that he was a bit uneasy about the idea himself, despite his firm and collected appearance. Perhaps he was simply surprised at the sudden revelation of where monsters such as herself obtained their magical energy. In any case, she didn't want to put too much pressure on him. After all, he had a lot to worry about already with country's troubles, the greatest of which were in her own hands to remedy. She gave him a polite nod as he turned to leave before curling up against herself to wait for her room to be prepared.

It had been such a long time since she had last been in the human world, and through all that time it seemed that it was very much the same sort of place that it had been the last time she had walked the world of humans. There were troubles and sufferings and the constant struggle for power and authority, much like her own. She had encountered countless such troubles on her own path to her current position, though no small effort on her own part, and now she sought to help others achieve such goals, even if they were significantly less in terms of scale.

She sighed and reached upward, the ancient language of her kind issuing from her slightly parted lips as she began to rain chant. Her body slid back and forth slowly, eyes closed on concentration as her horns glowed dimly and she continued to speak the words, mere muttering to those with untrained ears as she spoke. If one listened very closely, one could hear her voice in the air and the wind and the clouds all around as the small bits of wispy clouds in the bare, intense blue sky began to grow in size.

Kale moved back a step, and with a soft bow, "I will take my leave, and return when things are ready". He moved away with a slow step glancing back once, but then was out of sight, his castle was a giant spell. With her casting he felt her spell, the entirely of her power was then aware to him, that kind of seemingly endless power caused him to shiver. He figured if she could change the weather it was to be expected. When he moved to the large room he held parties, or balls when the occasion fit. Watching as the tables, and chairs were put out, servants coming in with hundreds of pillows to line one side of the wall to use as a bed, not knowing if she would prefer to lay, or be coiled as she had been when he left. So he set two areas for her this room allowing her some room to move about, up, and around the pillar spires. He knew that this was something small a offering for what she was doing, and making peace with those who were hostile was how his family remained in power.

When he made sure things were right he moved to the kitchens to ready an evening meal for everyone, nightfall was not far off, and with a simple measured pace, to not get to her early, it fit him fine to make her wait. When he moved to the door his eyes going around the room as he looked to her, "Your room is prepared, I hope that it is to your liking". He gave her a soft gesture to follow as he led her through the large halls of his kingdom, down the halls to the ball room, so she could see what was prepared, "Is it to your liking?". He watched her looking ready to leave her to her own devices unless she had need for him, he still was slightly taken back by her too human behavior, he had undone his cloak, his sword was not as ornate, but dangerous just as well. He moved with a way about himself as if she was a prisoner following him, but not disrespectful in the slightest.

Mei followed him out into the open court, her body floating a few inches above the floor as she entered the hall which would serve as her room, where countless tall, smooth pillars along the edges supported the massive open area in which various social activities had been held in the past. It was rather quiet and lonesome on that day, however, save the addition of various homey touches such as the large number of soft pillows that she was delighted to discover he had prepared for her use. She loved pillows, especially if there were enough for her to lay her entire length out on as she slept. For the time being, she simply thanked him kindly for his hospitality and helped herself to the pillows, resting her large body down onto them lengthwise and propping her human body up on her side with her arms.

"I have performed my first day's preparations for the rain, and I am pleased to inform you that things are going well so far. I have succeeded in infusing a large amount of energy into the clouds above your kingdom, causing it to become overcast, but my work is far from finished. With the proper spells, I should be able to cause it to sprinkle by tomorrow afternoon, with rain following as early as the day after that," she informed him calmly, sensing the continued distrust in his eyes as he listened, "To that end, I would request thy presence here with me tomorrow morning or midday at the latest in order to ensure that I have sufficient magical reserves to finish infusing my power into the clouds."

She laid onto her back, her robe falling open slightly to show off a bit more of her large, soft endowments as she turned over to her side away from the king, "That is all that I require at the moment... Please let me know when supper is prepared, but until then I will retire and build up my strength for tomorrow's preparations."

Kale gave a nod as if he. Already knew, but caught himself with a slight bow, "That is good news, I will send word to the people, hearing the criers call that the weather will be turning is a much needed hope for the people". He gave her a look when she spoke of needing magical energy, and he seemed taken aback for only an instant with a simple nod, and a weary look to her. "I will join you for dinner if you do not mind, I would like to speak with you...". He did not make it a question, but left her able to decline by choosing another time if she did not want to. He was a king, he had been trained to speak in a way as if his wish was all that mattered, but his father had instilled the thought of his people were the thrones purpose. He paused to get her answer, he bowed, "Then I will take my leave Mei...". It was eating at him that she was so normal, not even as bad as most the kings he had spoken too, power hungry, and hardened by the rest.

He strode from the room, to check on the meal, making it a large meal for two people many different types of food to learn what she liked. He would make sure if she turned on him, it would not be because of something he did. He sent out the criers, knowing the spell she had used, that power still stoked his fear, and caused him to shiver, even weakened by his home, his strength amplified to a point in his home, other kings tip toed to avoid him angered. However with her, it seemed like nothing compared to her vast reserve, and with how she kept her energy. He pushed it from his mind, he believed there was more to it. However when the night grew stronger he returned four servants with treys, and one with a cloth, laying it down, then the meals being ready to leave or sit, depending on what she said earlier, if she would sit with him or not.

"I will await your presence, then, good king," Mei merely have him a polite nod, acknowledging his polite command that she eat with him and converse with her, although she had a good idea about what it was that he wished to discuss. He still lacked any amount of trust in her, yet her behavior was baffling to her as she lacked many distinct traits that human rulers often possessed. She was calm, unassuming, patient, and although she did have her own personal pride she did not allow it to interfere with her mission or with her interactions with humans. The truce between their kind was so fragile, there was no need for such trivial things as self-gratification and pride when they were on the brink between an uneasy pace and outright war.

She appeared in the dinning hall once the food was prepared, her long body trailing behind her as she entered the room and carefully made her way tot he table, curling her body up under herself so as not to take up too much room as she approached the table. There was all manner of delicious foodstuffs, but she had her mind on other things so she merely tried a bit of everything in order to be polite to her gracious host. She drew out a pair of chopsticks from her sleeve, and picked up small pieces of food and lifted them up one by one to her mouth, carefully chewing and dabbing her lips with a napkin.

"Please... If I may be so bold, tell me what is on your mind," Mei turned toward the king slowly, the elegance of her motion as she gazed down at him filling the room with a dim glow.

Kale gave a soft smile as he studied the women, his mask, that gave him a more or less soft look. Almost as if he was weaker than he was, but far from it as he watched her. His voice came with a slow thoughtful tone, "What is on my mind right now, it is simple, you are either a good trickster, and liar". He gave her a forestalling gesture expecting that hurt look from her again, thinking for a moment as he scanned her form for a moment, "Or there are many secrets I have yet to learn...". He seemed interested, but it was still obvious he thought her playing some kind of game with him, with acting as though nothing was out of the ordinary for how she was summoned, he had been told at one time monsters were all revered as something greater, then some war that was far from Kale's time. His father had told him, that a treaty was made between mankind, and monsters to keep from another war of every nation.

"I would ask about you if it is not too troublesome...". His eyes seemed to drill through her, as if trying to catch some kind of lie. "I would like to get to know someone I may be". He seemed to pause as if neglecting to use a word he was thinking, "Seeing in my home for some time, and may not be the only time I must call for assistance...". He eyed the sticks for a moment, seeming intrigued by the custom, but did not attempt it just now. he was trying to think of a way to keep her happy, and think of him as a friend, and yet at the same time keep her a far distance from him. He thought of this, to get close, but not let her a chance to get him vulnerable, or to actually fall for her words. His father had warned him what female monsters could do with words, and pleasures they seemed to offer.

"While its true that in the past I have done many things which I am not proud of, I have never once lied to thee," Mei set down her chopsticks beside her plate in a polite manner as she replied, her brow slightly knit with the distant pain of memories far in the past, "There have been times when I have doubted myself, questioning if I was even doing the right thing. There are many things which I wish I could go back and change, even within my own life, things which were well within my power to do differently. While I could allow myself to fall into a pit of self-pity and drown myself in sorrow for what I could and should have done differently, that would not allow me to move forward toward a better future for both our races."

She then turned and granted him a friendly yet sorrowful smile, "So, please ask me anything ye would like to know, and I will do my best to answer it. I can't promise thee that I am perfect, but the least I can do is satisfy some of thine curiosity."

Kale gave no change of expression before speaking with a slow meaningful way, "If what I have read be true, there are several monster gods... They are fairly old in human years, the Monster War... Or whatever your kind call it have a bit of history I am interested in, of one of my ancestors.". He watched her for a moment before continuing slowly to explain himself, "Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale he ruled all the lands at the time, and it is believed had the first attack come before he had won over the world, we would have been wiped out...". He did not have to add many monsters would die who needed men to survive, or just for energy. "I have learned much from my ancestors notes, and all I have are legends of his death...". He looked at her in a meaningful way, to see if she could expand on his knowledge.

Many of the legends said about the Emperor had spoke that had he survived, he would have been unmatched for many years, his magic granted him longer life than most men, but he was still a man in the end. The legends stated that he had become so angry, that he lashed out against a god, with that power going through him, he had killed the god, others said he only wounded it, while others said he tamed it, but with the legends, as confused as they were, his lash out had created the surrounding mountain fields, and holding that much power had drained every drop of life from the emperor. He was using this as a simple test, not knowing the answer, but assumed she would tell what she knew without lieing, hopefully allowing him to be able to tell when she did lie.

When he spoke of the devastating war that had raged between their races for a length of over twenty years, the images of the destruction and death flashed before her, causing her to dip her head slightly in sorrow. Yes, she knew of the war of which he referred, for it had marked the loss of her innocence, the start of what she would consider the darkest part of her life. The simple mention of that time, that place that she would rather purge from her mind than openly discuss, caused a thick cloud of gloom to huddle about her heart.

"The Purge," she spoke softly, her lips hardly moving, "That is what the eleventh monster god named what humans now know as the Monster War. In the time before the war, there was growing tension between our races, but peace still resided. Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale, the man that we know as the One Who Smote the Heavens, was a highly ambitious man, one who sought for the benefit and advancement of mankind above all else. He saw it as his duty to bring humanity together under his rule, to protect and guide them along the path of greatness and prosperity. But, legends say that Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale had a wife, a woman that he loved most dearly, who had fallen prey to some mysterious illness following her third pregnancy. Not even the most skilled of his court physicians and healers could give her relief from the raging pain within her body, which tormented her day and night."

"It was known as Blaze Fever, a rare disease that generally only effected monsters, but in rare cases could be transmitted to humans as well. In a blind rage, Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale accused the eleventh monster god of inflicting his wife with this terrible disease, and demanded that she cure his wife," Mei sighed sadly, her gaze dropping toward her lap, "Some accounts say that Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale merely used this as an excuse to further his ambition in conquering the monster realm as well and placing the monster race under his authority as well, but as I have no personal knowledge of what either side's true intentions were, I cannot say for certain what caused the outbreak of the war. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the accusation was merely the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak."

"The Eleventh always harbored a hatred for humans, her heart hardened by years of hostility and betrayal by the race which her kind depended on. His words, therefore, were the only excuse she needed to unleash her fury upon humanity, calling upon her kind to purge the earth of humanity's unfounded pride and boundless ambition, for according to her their proper place was just a little higher than brute animals, fit to be placed in cages and used as necessary to further the needs of monsters," Mei explained, "I knew that this was wrong, that humans had just as much of a right to life, love, happiness, and peace as we do... But I held my peace, for it was not my place to question her. The war continued for twenty long years, the land itself scorched from the violence, until Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale and the Eleventh met each other on the field of battle. In a furious battle, they exchanged blows, Emperor Jhinn Thul'kale inflicting a terrible wound upon the Eleventh before forcing her to withdraw..."

Her voice grew darker and more subdued, "It was then that I acted... Calling upon what few like-minded individuals that I knew I could trust, I confronted my own lord, leader... and mother. As the ultimate show of betrayal, I brought down the Eleventh with my own two hands, claiming her throne as my own in the process as the Twelfth. I instated my supporters as the other four gods of the monster realm, the five of us taking it upon ourselves to rebuild and maintain the peace between our peoples since that time."

Kale seemed absorbed by the story, and then gave her an honest smile, and seemed to let out a small sigh, "I see, that is promising I suppose... My father did not believe there was a sickness to the empress, however I can not say I am shocked at the truth of it...". He seemed to turn from king to scholar, leaning forward slowly in thought as if forgetting she was still in the room for a long time, but then his head raised as if just catching something in shock, "You are the current leader of your kind...". Kale seemed to show more or less respect for her as he regained himself growing back his soft smile of a mask for her. He understood some of his power, and knew if the line he held still rang true, his power would grow if he gained more followers. His eyes slid along her as if taking her in a new light, judging her as he tried to decide if she had been speaking any lie, but that sorrowful look, and dread around her reminded him of how his father looked when he failed to protect the people, or had punished an innocent man.

Kale did think some, and would write down her words as the truth he believed of the past. His word may have held weight with the people, but he held a certain belief of freedom of all men to a point. He had some laws that if broken would bring his wrath to a head, which none in his kingdom that would be seen in the open would dare cross. He had a hardness to him when it must be done, and freedom when he wished which caused a certain trust of his people. Then he gave a soft sigh, and gave her a questioning look as if he had information he wanted to sort out. "Is it possible for powers used in the past to sprout anew in a bloodline?". He watched her for a moment, knowing that it was indeed possible, if not how, or what could cause it. He did not trust her with much he knew of the world of men. He would then turn this to a learning chat, about her likes, and dislikes, from dresses, to art, manners, to interests, whatever he could learn, and keep the chat lighter, and out of the darker tones.

"Yes... I am one of the youngest monster gods to take the throne," Mei nodded slowly, taking the time to reach down and pick up her cup of tea and lift it to her lips for a sip before continuing, "As we value strength and lineage the most when it comes to rule, I have not met with much resistance although my leadership may have been remarkably unpopular at first. Time has helped to heal the wounds between our peoples, however, and I must admit I am pleased with the progress that we have made so far as much of the ill feelings, at least on the monster side of the divide, have reduced significantly."

"From what I understand of hereditary powers and abilities, yes they can," Mei blinked, not picking up on his intentions to make an effort to get to know her better as a person and certainly not seeing the connection between this question and the last, merely focused her attention on answering as best she could, "Of course, by hereditary power and ability I mean potential power and ability, as even the most talented magician will not accomplish great things without effort and extensive training."

Kale sighed as if hearing that the ghost in his closet was only a murderer poised to strike. He did not know if it was far worse to be swinging at phantoms, or to find the viper pit. He had to push the thoughts from his mind as he slowly glanced over her form. "Enough of painful past memories, Let us talk of something that may be more important... What kind of pictures do you enjoy looking at, sculptures? Any favorite instruments"? He spoke with a lighter tone trying to move the conversation in a better way, planning prying more into the past.

Kale had a taste for art, he enjoyed living statues, anything that portrayed the energy, and expression one would think to see a person living show. He also enjoyed the flute, and could play many tunes himself, when he wanted to be alone he practiced to just listen to the smooth notes, knowing the words to many songs himself, but usually had a court bard sing, and play as most did not see it proper for a king to entertain. He did not always like keeping appearances, and would much rather be seen as powerful, and remain to the throne, than tossed aside like some puppet.

"I love the natural beauty in all things, from the turning of the autumn leaves when the days grow shorter, to the color of the rocks in the mountain crags. I feel a simplicity and calmness eminating from nature, from the object as much as the spaces between objects, constantly in motion around me as I observe the change from time to time and season to season as they come together in a single, unending flow," Mei gave him a genuinely appreciative smile, glad for the change in subject, "I like paintings that try to capture this sort of beauty. I can't say that I am much of a collector of sculptures, but the concept of capturing a man or woman in a moment of time is something of a mystery to me. What is man or monster other than a part of the world around them? One cannot simply extract them from the world and suspend them from the flow of time while retaining their meaning. At least, that's the way I see things."

"I love music, from the elegance of the lute to the somber tones of the flute, all manner of pleasant music is palatable to my sense of artistic taste," Mei nodded, "If I had to choose one, however, I suppose the flute would be my favorite."

Kale watched her, and told her his interests, even to go so far as to say he enjoyed playing the flute. With a calm look he smiled to her, she was rather human for a monster, and he saw her as what a monster was supposed to be. If she was a true leader, he expected her to be the best of the best of her kind, and he regretfully had not found anything wrong. He slid to his feet for a moment watching her for a moment, "If you have no questions for me, we shall see each other again in the afternoon if it suits you, or does it need to be early in the morning"? He needed to come up with some better questions as he could. Kale watched her for a long moment having a better look at her, and when he found his thoughts about her, he reminded himself of his litany about monsters. They were without morales, liars, who would take advantage at the easiest chance, and with long lives were as patient as needed to get what they wanted, his father's death was a good strong reminder of the hatred of monsters.

Back
Top Bottom