Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

♔ remnants of the mesa )

Osheaga

Supernova

• Prince Derrik Bolero, heir to the throne of Tevinter, had just recently been engaged to an exotic, amazonian beauty that hailed from the desert. After his father, King Ramses, forced a handful of her people to convert their religion and become citizens of Tevinter, Derrik took a particular interest in his wife-to-be. He claimed that she would bare the perfect son for him. At her father's behest - and the persuasive aid of an extravagant dowry - she and the prince of Tevinter would be wed. The woman - and her father - were disgraced by their people. King Ramses proclaimed that the first of the desert dwellers to submit to his command and convert without resistance would be granted noble caste. Fearing for the safety of his daughter, the proud warrior adhered while the others did not go with the king so willingly. Hundreds upon hundreds of the desert people were slaughtered during the king's mendacious raid. Those deemed apostates by the desert clan were stripped of their caste and erased from the memory of the desert dwellers as they traveled to Tevinter with the king. The only exception was that of the prince's wife, Ammon de Cz'ron, given the Tevinterian name Estelle Aeducan, as she had fought to defend her clan.

Since the tragedy of the desert people, often referred to as simply "Banshees" by the prince's fiance, Ammon de Cz'ron was pregnant within the month. During her fourth trimester with child she had purposely thrown herself from the palace's balcony, putting both herself and her baby in harms way. The child did not survive the fall though Ammon had arisen virtually unscathed. She bore a seething hatred for her fiancee Derrik Bolero and his tyrannical father Ramses which was depicted by her choice to murder her own unborn child. She'd often sneak into the king's quarters and hear him chide his son about his poor means of keeping Ammon in line. During public events the prince had even been brazen enough to strike his fiancee. Much to his chagrin the woman was not as docile as he had once believed and had reciprocate his violence nearly three-fold. But, the prince knew all was well. His inaugural ball marked three days until his wedding and he had supposedly impregnated Ammon once more.

That particular balmy August evening had summoned countless young maidens - of noble caste and commoner caste - to marvel at the prince's becoming a man. Throngs upon throngs of girls peered warily through the massive windows spotting the palace's walls. They pushed and shoved, scrambling a top each other just to get a glimpse of the handsome princes. "Ow, you're stepping on my foot!" one winced, brushing her ringlet's from her rosy cheekbones. "Oh, come on, I want to see too!" another squealed. Nearly ten minutes they continued their guileless folly, remaining oblivious to the questionable leers of passing invitees that strode through the king's garden. Uneknownst to them, a woman stood behind them, rooted like a grand oak tree and as silent as a moonless night. Her stark black mane fell in loose waves around her broad shoulders, framing her ample bust and striking ginger-ale eyes. One of the maidens quickly jerked their necks back, only to be left starstruck by the woman standing before them. "E-Estelle! ... Lady Estelle!"

"Lady Estelle is inside with the prince you stupid girl," one of the women huffed, "What would she be doing outside in the garden?"

The lapse of silence that ripped through the stillness of the night made each girl uneasy. One by one they redirected their gaze until they met the vulpine one belonging to none other then Ammon de Cz'ron, given the name Estelle by her fiancee to 'modernize' her. "Lady Estelle! I ... we ... oh my." Ammon said nothing. She glanced briefly at the plump moon hanging in the starry sky, then back to the pathetic spectacle before her. "Milady, we're so sorry, we - "

"Say nothing, girls. I will not whisper a word to Derrik or Ramses."[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Sairen refused diplomacy, and when war came his warriors held the their land as long as they could. With insufficient supplies, he led his people into the depths of the desert, further than anyone else dared, and mapped new oases, new arable land. The price of survival was heavy. His clan was left with women and children, and few men, with their wealth abandoned. They would not be able to wage war again for centuries. What was he to do? He had sworn vengeance for the countless dead.

He could have taken a wife, and raised their children with the memories of places they never knew, but that would be far too weak. A clan lord fights his own battles. So he forsook his clan. He bowed his head before his shaman, named his brother as his successor, and let his own name die. He left by the evening, by night, retracing his way back towards Tevinter, glad that the shifting sands had already claimed their dead. Sometimes he came across fields of bleached bones, sometimes with insignia of now-dead clans. He learned to endure, and moved on.

As time passed, his fellow travellers gave him a name, a word that was fitting enough in meaning. They called him Falcon, and he let them. Eventually when someone asked him, he ended up answering with it, and so who he was changed. He taught himself to steal and to kill from behind, without honour. What did he need honour for, these days? He lived like a vagrant, following where the road went, taking shelter where it was offered, asking questions, telling stories, learning. He spoke to slaves of freedom, to farm labourers of having their own land. That a revolt was raised in his name, well, he would not deny. He found a gift for speech he never expected, and slowly his name was known. It surprised him that people were so willing to die to keep his face a secret, and so willing to carry a banner when he asked them to. He had followers even, these days. Grim men and women who had nothing left to lose, who thought he could change something in their world.

This would be a night to remember. For tonight, he had discarded his worn traveller's clothes, his family's sword and the traditional braids. His skin was still deeply tanned by the sun, of course, but his black hair was tied neatly back. He had spent months charming a court lady, so that he could pass the main gates, then the guards, so that a narrow door leading into the gates would be left unlocked. If anyone asked, he was a guest of Lady Anayla, and she would lie for him. But it was better to not be known, for his plans to unfold.

The garden was mostly empty, and his daggers were well hidden. These court clothes, with all their complexities. He looked fine in black and silver, he could claim to be in mourning and invent a relative or two, he could claim a lineage other than his true one. His travels had wiped his accent by now. Daggers up his sleeves, and his favourite was sheathed against his leg, strapped to his shin, within easy reach. There would be a death tonight, but not the prince's and not Ammon's.

She might have been his wife once, to end the bitter blood fued between their clans. No doubt in that case she would have hated him in the same way that she hated the prince now â?? Sairen had not been a kind man. He had been fierce on the battlefield, and cruel to his enemies. It was probably not wise that he wanted to sneak a look at the woman the common people called 'a dragon of the desert', who they said looked a fine match for their prince.

He knew her looks: his yellow hawk-eyes narrowed as he studied the moment, well enough in the shadows, he was sure, to not be noticed. He was closer than he thought, but far enough. How to know where someone's allegiances lay?

• It was the same kindness that the desert woman displayed to mere commoner girls that had earned her an acute scolding by her future husband Derrik. The palace was a sacred place, forged of stone raw from the earth. Elegant tapestries flowed like ribbons of red from the gilded walls, untouched by the sullied hands of peasants. The garden itself was its own Edan, immaculate and polished. Each flower was dainty and trimmed, cared for by none other then Ammon herself. Where her family had hailed from - past the sweeping mesa dunes and through a dead fissure - was an uncharted oasis. She was raised within a terrarium of exotic flora, each unique in their own individual fashion. It was this garden - this safehouse - she had forged for herself that had offered as a nostalgic getaway.

"Milady, thank you. Your kindness is unmatched." The young girls fled in the darkness of the night, their shadows as dainty as their tailored silk gowns. Within the silence, Ammon was left to brood. Tonight she was expecting a visit from her brother, Deacon, a man that rivaled the strength and size of a bear. She had cajoled her father into thinking that Deacon died during the revolt though this was certainly not the case. He traveled from the Mesa to Tevinter every full moon to inform his sister of what ill tides had been brought to their people. During his previous visit he had informed her that the two broken remnants of their clans were feuding. Needless to say Ammon was infuriated that her people, in such a time, were arguing amongst one another and murdering their own. She proclaimed that, after she was wed to the prince and her father made captain of the royal guard, she would sneak away to the Mesa ensconced upon a horse-drawn carriage toting fresh wheat to the country. She only hoped that her words of wisdom could halt their needless battles.

"Why are you out here? In the dark and alone, no less."

It was that voice that made her blood boil. It was outlandishly casual, smooth and careless; mendacious. She did not turn to greet her husband, rather, he addressed her by placing his calloused palms atop of her shoulders. "Your father is being inducted into our royal forces, right now. He was looking for you." While Ammon did not house any hatred for her father, she was host to disappointment. His being the head of the king's royal guard interested her as much as sawdust. "Come now, Estelle. You're always resisting." Derrik craned his neck inward with his chest pressed firm against his lover's back. He repositioned his hands around her waist, just so his fingertips grazed each other. At that moment Ammon was filled with raw vehemence. She tore herself from his arms and stood a wary distance from him. Yes, Derrik was a handsome man. Rugged features, wily chestnut hair and unforgiving blue eyes. But his aesthetics did his slimy personality no justice. But, much like an innocent pup taught to be vicious by its owners, she could not put him at fault for his actions. It was his father who had been pulling the strings.

"We're going to be married in three days, my dear ... three short days. After that what will you do? Continue to resist me? Push me away? It would be easier for the both of us if you just accepted me/ Everything you need is here. Money, clothing, shelter, entertainment and soon ... hopefully a family." Derrik almost felt as if Ammon had stopped breathing entirely. "Come now. We haven't made love in months, since you were first brought here. Everyone will be leaving shortly, and our fathers no doubt will be celebrating with ale and grog ... we'll be alone."

"There are no deserts here." The abruptness of her voice summoned a need within the prince. He stood still as she once did, watching the agony in her eyes. "You speak of happiness. Your happiness. You do not know true bliss until you've strode barefoot through a desert dune ... the warmth is overwhelming, it takes you, steals you from all problems that have once plagued you. Even a man who has lost everything - his wife, his children, his money, his home ... could travel to the mesa and feel empowered by the eventide as it paints the coming night sky. The desert, in its entirety, is happiness." Derrik watched, guffawed, as his wife then turned and strode into the palace. [/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

In the shadows of the tree, he watched the scene. He caressed his claws, their ivory handles worn with use and permanently stained with old blood. His enemy, so close! But that would be a poor vengeance, a wasted death. Nor would he survive such an attempt: there were too many guards a call away, and he had no wish to die in the attempt. When she was gone, he had to rein himself in not to act. No, he must not. Not now, not yet.

When the prince was gone too, and the garden empty once again, he exhaled sharply. He had not realised that he was holding his breath! He undid the hold on his daggers and quietly sighed. There was no one to see him now, so he stepped out and stretched the stiffness in his limbs. He had forgotten the intensity of his his hatred, and his own desire to kill. It was good that he had come tonight: he was beginning to forget those sharp emotions. Most of his days were dull and empty, the murders he committed no challenge, the battles he fought of little interest. A welcome reminder.

It was time to join the party he supposed. Straightening out the sleeves, he stepped into the palace, asking a passing slave for directions, arriving at the party proper. It would be an impressive feast, a fine party, and many broken hearts of women who would not get to marry the prince. Shame Ammon â?? Estelle, now, a name that did not suit her at all â?? seemed to have no interest in the concept. It put a little smile on his lips to see that he was not the only one who waged war on their conquerors.

He was in no hurry. He spent a while studying a tapestry, remembering the rich carpets his clan's women used to make, touching it as if admiring the detail. His tasks were for the early morning, when most would finally reach their beds. It would be a long night.

He picked up a glass of light wine and found a window seat, looking for all the while like he was waiting for someone, with a slightly bored expression on his face. It seemed that was what being noble consisted of here. The more bored you looked, the higher your rank was, most of the time.

• "You! Boy! What is your position? You shouldn't be loitering about so casually!" A guard appeared as if from nowhere, toting about his armor as if he were some divine god. His agnostic tone was arrogant. He seemed to be spending a little too much time in the presence of Prince Derrik. "Only invited guests may indulge. What's your caste? You're not familiar ... I do not remember anyone inviting some desert bastard here. Go on! Begone!" Often the guard harassed anyone of desert descent. Ammon chided them for it, but it never truly did much good.

Suddenly, Ammon appeared. She placed her hand upon the guard's left pauldron and remained silent. "Milady!" the guard cried, "This ruffian was not invited to your husband's inaugural ball! It would be an honor to remove him for you." The guard was left dumbfounded by not only her sudden appearance, but her beauty. Ammon held some divine winsomeness that not even the most beautiful desert woman possessed. Her jade eyes were venomous, also, and the vulpine tone within her smooth, tapioca tone.

"Leave him be."

"Leave him be? But, milady! He should leave this instant! He was not invited!" At that precise moment, Ammon's eyes went as hard as diamonds. Her pupils narrowed to such a dangerously small extent that the guard was left in a state of terror. "As you wish, milady," he grumbled, then silently dismissed himself leaving Ammon to address her 'guest'. "May I ask why you were in the courtyard earlier?" Her tone was much more nonchalant this time around. "I found your skulking about suspicious."

[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

If it was a less public occasion, he would have stabbed the guard, just for the insult. But sadly, this evening he had to remember to be polite. His expression did not change the slightest at the guard spoke: outwardly unaffected, of course. He was just about to speak, say that he was the guest of Lady Anayla. She had agreed to lie for him: an enemy of his enemy was a friend. And then Ammon appeared. He let her send the guard away, better to not wear out his own excuses.

When the guard left, he rose and bowed, a little ironically. Once they were equals, and now she was to be a future empress and he was a drifter, a homeless tramp, a wanted killer. How good they did not know his face, but one day, one day they would know him and fear him.

â??Lady Estelle.â? There was an unspoken question in that title. Were those the right words to use? Was it the right name?

He had not realised that she had seen him, and his eyes widened very slightly in surprise, but he caught himself yet again. His lies were smooth, but obviously lies: â??I was curious to see you, my lady. You are indeed as beautiful as is claimed.â? With a tiny smile, he was claiming to be part of her fanclub. â??I overstayed my welcome, I suppose.â?

It was a good question as to whether she could recognise him. Once Lord Sairen Karheante, but travel had worn him down. He was no longer the proud clan-lord. The roads had given him wiry muscle, taken away all the softer parts of him. He was no longer a swordsman either, but a shadow who killed from behind. It demanded a different kind of discipline. He had found how little he had known about life before the war.

• She knew just who he was, but kept her cognizance a secret in fear her master plan would be abolished. She gave her visitor the once over, only to forge a face of raw bewilderment. He had not looked like the same man he had before, merely that of a well-trained assassin. His hair long and unkempt, eyes reflecting the diligence of the desert and pure, unadulterated power of the mesa's moon.

Oh how she missed the feeling of soft leather tunics and the irritation of sand in her soles. These dresses were extravagant, and would spell her death in the harsh clutches of the desert. She felt overdressed, overprimped and exaggerated. Her maidens were told by the king to try and hide the bronze tinge to her complexion that the goddess of the desert had blessed her with, but she refused. The Amazonian princess gone apostate would resist this conversion to the very last stage: marriage.

"Maybe it's the prince you seek an audience with, not I. For he has beauty beyond my years," she jested sourly.

"I have a question for your, sir," she uttered gingerly, "Why is it you'd leave the kind caress of desert dunes to travel to such a mendacious land?"[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

â??My lady, the desert wind is not so kind when it carries the smell of blood, and when the oases on whose water I relied are poisoned with corpses,â? he replied with bitterness.

She had left too soon â?? she had not seen those battles. One used to always come across bones on desert travels, often a solitary traveller having lost his way. These days, it was possible to come across strange fields of ribcages, skulls, leg and arm bones, picked clean by scavengers, their weapons discarded forever. He had passed through many such places, stepping over shields, studying scraps of cloth, gazing into the empty eyes of a horse's skull. So much lost. So much wasted.

â??Perhaps one day, I will return.â? He would hate to die under these stars. Maybe, when his work was done, or when he was an old man, he would go to the sands to shed his flesh. The desert stars were more brilliant and more precious than any diamonds.

â??For now, I must make my life elsewhere.â? Well, that was the most blatant lie he had ever uttered. He had no life at all these days: he was simply a weapon, trying to single handedly balance the scales of death. A foolish and pointless task, but he could find no other reason for existence.

Back
Top Bottom