Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Reality Checks: Plain, Simple, and from the Hip

Ruphhausin

Supernova
I have thought long and hard on starting one of these here, and I will try and put a post a week at least to start. These are my ramblings, but they are also points that I pertain to things that just should not just reach out and grab one, but also cause one to really look at some things. Perhaps they are only for me to think on, but perhaps they may also cause others to grasp just how messed up some things are in our society..... I leave that to the individual reader....

The "Killer" Serial: A Cult Classic Analyzed Fast

My first thought on here is about a movie that I saw for the first time a long time ago. To set the idea, let me give a short version of the events.

I was about fifteen, it was an exceptionally early Saturday morning (as in like three or four am) I had tried everything to go to sleep, and I finally turned on the television. After flipping through the channels, I came to rest on the station 38 in my area. Then it was a independent station who got a lot of viewer ship for being one of the first Fox affiliates and for their movie marathons. They were going onto the last movie before their kids block of cartoons (something that was a big thing in my generation), and it was a movie titled Serial.

This is (as I have seen it many times since) a absolutely hilarious story about an entire community located in Marin County, California. This town, across the Bay from San Francisco, who, with the exception of one adult man and a preteen boy, are totally sold out and brainwashed into the "whatever feels good do it because it leads to humanistic enlightenment" garbage of the 1970s. Everything from therapeutic adultery, peer-group dynamic explorations, psychobabble therapy sessions, etc. that were in up until the beginning of the 1980s Yuppie culture and everyone started to gain back their minds was parodied and skewered. I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

Years later, I would learn that the movie is based on The Serial: A Year in the Life of Marin County, a book that was in fact inspired (according to people who actually lived in Marin County, California at the time and the author Cyra McFadden) by real people and actual events. While suspension of disbelief is always a mainstay of dealing with even historical fiction... In this case NONE is needed.

My mother, uncle, and a number of their friends can attest to the reality of how screwed up the "counter culture" of the early 1960s through to the very early 1980's really was. From the character of Martha whose idea of happy marriage lasted at most two months to Leonard the therapist who jogs to stay healthy then snorts cocaine to finish his morning routine afterward, from Carol, the hot-bodied woman who cannot stay in any kind of relationship because of her odious personality to Stokeley, Martha's own preteen son who has, with one exception, the firmest grasp of reality of any of the adults in the entire area, it is a blatant indictment of how completely asinine the entire period was... and it really explains how empty-headed those same people were so that other absurd ideas (such as anything Oprah said) would be able to take the places left behind.

I apologize only that all of this is true, and not just from one person's point of view. The state that California is in right now is proof itself.

DragonCon: The Happiest Group Hug On Earth!!

On August 29th, I will be on a train from my city here to Atlanta, Georgia for DragonCon, one of the five biggest fan-run and managed conventions of its kind on this continent, and world famous to boot.

I am proud to be a part of it, as it is really awesome. Atlanta heralds the Con as one if its most important tourist gatherings, and the businesses in and around the main area of the six hotels (that's right, in only four years we went from three hotels to six, for reasons later to be listed) make a lot of money on the Labor Day weekend from us.

Atlanta is a very friendly city, and the Safety officers and Police they have are friendly and helpful. We do our best to try and not cause trouble, though there are things that push a boundary or two but we try. The thing is we started fan-run and have stayed that way, which is what makes it so great. DragonCon is the best of what happens in a Representative Democratic structure, unlike the worst where everything is sold out to overly "specialized small groups". For that, you go to ComicCon in San Diego, California.

It sounds snarky, but ComicCon is precisely what a Con NEVER SHOULD BECOME. It is run by the companies pushing things that are disingenuous to the very ideal of fandom and those who started it in the first place... sound familiar????

This one doesn't have a title, but it is a real rant.

How dare people be overjoyed at the prospect of another "Hurricane Katrina" hitting the US Gulf Coast???? How dare people say that?

There are some people with some wack ideas, and that is wack. I was here during Katrina's aftermath, and I really personally wish there were people who were stuck in this that really need a wake up call......

Who would be overjoyed at any sort of devastation? That right there sort of boggles my mind honestly........... Sometimes people truly disgust me.

I just.. really think that a massive, collective enema is needed of many people.. to get the crap out of their brains.

Another short rant without a title.

I have been on both sides of "the aisle" in a political sense, and I have now settled into the middle and am much more independent and libertarian in my thoughts these days. Having said that, I have to say this, even at the risk of getting hate and massive levels of insults as so forth.

I voted for Obama based on his "commitment to change", but what I am seeing is nothing of the sort. His "successes" he stole from others, and his shortcomings are transparent as rice paper.

To put it simply... disapproving, disliking, or downright loathing Mitt Romney is not justification for re-electing Obama.

Back
Top Bottom