Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Friends until the End

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeminiZ

Planetoid
"Quarter till ten," Eve mumbled to herself as she checked her watch. Of all the times to get left outside the cinema waiting on her best friend, why did it have to be on a cold February night like this. It almost made her question her choice of friends over the years.

"Nah, that's not it," she thought to herself. They'd been friends since... forever, and she wasn't all that innocent herself. It reminded her of the various antics they've gotten in over the years, all the memories, but now wasn't the time for reminiscing. Right now, all she wanted was to go inside; the snow had been coming done hard recently. Eve was not a winter person, of that she was certain. But the theatre had a strict policy against saving seats and loitering, so she was stuck until they were both present.

Impatiently, she mumbled, "Hurry it up, would ya'? I'm freezing my ass off here," as if she expected that to make her friend get there sooner.

Katie had thought she'd been able to make it to the theater sooner, but with the snow the traffic had been more of a pain than usual. Even for a snowy day the traffic was awful. Then again, it seemed everything was trying to make her day miserable. Waking up from the cat scratching her arm, spilled the milk on the kitchen floor when making breakfast, found a hole in her favorite shirt, and now this. Yeah, the universe was working against her today it seemed, and she was not liking it. Now she just hoped she could make it the theater in time.

Finally she pulled into the parking lot, and of course had to park in one of the parking spots far away from the entrance. She got out, grabbing her purse, locking her car and ran. She looked at her phone and sighed in relief as she realized she had a few minutes. Yet when she looked up she saw Eve in the distance and the relief was replaced with fear. She hated disappointing her friends, most of all, Eve. Eve was her best friend, the only one who had been with her through everything.

As she got to the sidewalk she hurried toward her friend. "Oh god, I'm so so so so sorry. I got out of the house late, and traffic has been awful," she practically gasped in one breath. She knew Eve hated being in the cold, and mentally cursed the theater for not letting people to at least sit inside while waiting for someone. "Please forgive me?" she asked, raising her brows and biting her lips together.

Eve's ears perked slightly when she heard the familiar tapping of frantic feet coming closer. She'd been with Katie so long that even the sound of her footsteps were second nature. She turned on her heels to face her and tapped her foot in exaggerated anger while she explained her reason for being so late.

Once Katie finished, Eve just sighed softly. Despite her hating the cold and being forced to wait in it, she wasn't all that mad. The two of them had been through thick and thin, and it was virtually impossible for her to get mad at the other girl. She gently patted her shoulder reassuringly. "Oh, don't worry about it. Come on, we've got just enough time to grab one of the good seats!" She grabbed Katie's hand and dragged her through the revolving doors of the theater.

The lobby was pretty bland for the town's most popular weekend attractions, but no one really complained too much. As long as the latrines were functional and the seats didn't creak, the condition of the rest of the building was trivial. Eve walked up to the ticket booth, purse in hand. Before saying anything to the uniformed man inside, she turned to Katie. "I'll get the tickets. Do you think you could grab me something from the concession stand? My sweet tooth's been acting up lately, and I think it's time I obey its demands."

A wash of relief came over Katie when Eve seemed to simply brush it off and lead her inside. She had no idea where she would be without this girl, so whenever she feared she'd upset her, it was one of the worst feelings in the world. She'd sometimes joked about how if she never found a man, which to this point she hadn't even so much as kissed a boy, she would still have Eve. Oddly enough, that thought never really seemed so bad. She was her best friend, and who mattered more than that?

Katie was about to protest Eve's offer to pay for the ticket, but at the mention of food and the other girl's sweet tooth, she nodded with a smile. Sometimes they wouldn't get food, but when they did, it was just simpler and quicker for one of them to get the tickets and one to get the food. She set off for the concessions area, getting them a bag of popcorn, some boxes of candy, and a large soda to share. Being in a town where pretty much the theater was the only thing to really do other than bars or downtown shopping, this was a normal outing for them. Once she had all the food she went to the end of the counter to wait for Eve to come meet her with the ticket before heading in.

Eve smiled as Katie left to get the snacks. She could always count on her to lend a helping hand; it was one of her most admirable qualities. Hell, they'd do anything for the other if need be, not that they ever took advantage of the fact.

Eve turned to the ticket seller. "Two tickets for 'The Dark Knight Rises', please," she requested. They had been eager to see the final addition to the Batman trilogy for almost a year now, and it was finally going to happen. The man nodded and started tapping on the keys of his laptop. He frowned when something came up on screen.

"I'm sorry, but that movie is sold out. In fact, everything's sold out at the moment." Eve's jaw almost hit the floor; was this guy trying to tell her that she spent the last half-hour freezing on the sidewalk for nothing?

"T-That can't be right... right?" She stuttered out frantically. "There has to be something available." The man sighed heavily; he dealt with this far too often for his liking. He would have to assure her that nothing else was available, apologize for the inconvenience, and send her on her merry way. But to his surprise, when he checked the screen again, he noticed a small entry for the auxiliary theater, which they used for showing the less popular flicks.

He looked up at Eve again. "Actually, there is something available, if you're interested." She smiled relievedly. At least it wasn't a total waste. She nodded, and the man produced two tickets from a machine. "That'll be ten dollars, please." Normally, auxilaiary tickets only costed two dollars each, but hey, if he charged them full price just this once, who'd know the difference? Eve forked over a ten-dollar bill, and she was handed the two tickets.

Eve read the title of the movie: "The Light Before We Land ..." she muttered before looking at the ticket clerk. "I've never heard of that one before." The man got a little nervous; she might be on to his scam.

"O-Oh, it's a good show, I promise. It's a romance, actually. Not quite like The Dark Knight Rises, but still worth seeing." Eve looked at his skeptically, but soon shrugged it off. Hey, right now she was just relieved that they would actually get to see a movie. Leaving the man to his ill-gotten cash, Eve headed to the snack bar to meet up with Katie.

As Eve finally arrived, she chuckled lightly. "What took ya so long? I was sure you'd be here before me." She shrugged it off and handed Eve her sweets, carrying the popcorn snugly in one arm and holding the drink in the other hand.

Katie was really excited to see the movie. She was a huge action and fantasy kind of girl. Blood and violence with some hints of unreality and she was there. Both her and Eve were pretty well versed on their movies. Well, the movie theater being the most happening place in town, and then their fun nights of pizza, popcorn, and a movie, it was no doubt they were used to just sitting down for a good flick.

Of course Katie wasn't big on the romance movies. Mostly because they made her feel a little weird. Like she was odd for not having had a relationship before. She supposed Eve may feel the same way, but whenever they'd talk about it, it seemed as if they just didn't need one. Well, that was Katie's view anyway.

She smiled at Eve as they began their way to the back of the theater. "Finally we get to see Rises," she said almost with a bounce in her step. Almost everything from earlier washing away as her day seemed to be getting back on track.

Eve was happy to see that the problems from earlier that day hadn't dampened Katie's mood much. Especially since she was going to have to break the news to her that their intended movie had been sold out, and instead she had to buy tickets to a romantic movie, which was, debatebly, their least favorite genre.

She didn't know why, but she just wasn't interested in boys. Not to say it was a mutual feeling; several guys had flirted with her in the past, but in the end she always brushed them off. She wasn't looking to be in a relationship, at least back in school. Now that she was a full-blown woman, she had a feeling she would have to stop being so picky and find someone.

She was brought back to full attention when Katie mentioned Dark Knight Risss, and frowned. "Right... about that..." she mumbled. "They were sold out. I got tickets to another movie, though," she added optimistically.

Katie smile faded slightly. Of course they were sold out. She was surprised there was any opening for a show left considering her luck for the day. "Ah," she said simply, stopping as they had to hand their tickets to the clerk who then pointed them down toward the auxiliary theater and again Katie wasn't surprised.

"Let me guess, it's a romance," she said simply. It would just the icing on the cake. Everything else was going wrong today, why would it change? She sighed and looked over at Eve for a moment before looking away, feeling almost ashamed for acting this way around her.

"Sorry," Katie mumbled, looking down and ahead of her. "It's just been a really craptastic day." She looked up at Eve. "Only good thing is I get to spend it with you," she said with a soft smile. "I just hope I don't rub off my bad luck on you." She chuckled slightly and looked back up and ahead. "So what's the movie?" she asked, guessing it'd just be better to grin and bear it. As she'd stated, she was with Eve, and that was always a good thing. So at least the day wasn't a total bust.

Eve expected her to have this reaction, so she wasn't overly worried. Of course, when she and Katie handed their tickets over and she suddenly asked if it was a romance, she bowed her head. "Um, actually...." Then, before she could confess, Katie apologized, to which she shook her head. "Nah, don't worry about it. We've all been there."

When Katie asked her what the movie was, Eve hesitated once again. It wasn't really her fault for picking a romance; it was all that was left. Still, she felt a little bad for forcing Katie to sit through it. "The movie's called, 'The Light Before We Land'. I'm not sure what it's about, but the clerk said it was good," she explained as they both entered the theater room.

Not many seats had been taken, but that wasn't saying much, considering the size of the auxiliary theater. She led them to the back, since it had the best view over all the heads of people in the lower aisles. She picked a seat and sat down, situating herself before looking over at Katie. "By the way, what did you get at the snack bar?"

Katie followed suit, and the name of the movie just sounded a bit ridiculous. 'The Light Before We Land'. What kind of movie title was that? She shrugged it off though and simply went along with Eve's lead. She'd sit through it before making a judgement, but she had to admit, her expectations weren't very high. It sounded enough like a romance, and from Eve's reaction earlier she knew it was. Just had to hit the viewer over the head with it.

Katie sat down next to Eve in the back and set the drink down in the cup-holder between them. "Sprite to drink, and I wasn't sure what exactly you were craving. So I went with popcorn for salty and buttery, sour skittles for the obvious, and junior mints for the chocolate. She smiled and shrugged out of her over sized leather jacket, revealing a black long sleeve shirt that was covered by her favorite jean vest. She then had on a pair of dark blue jeans that covered most of her boots.

Once she was sitting, she held the popcorn on her lap, but close to Eve so she could get at some too if she wanted. Once she was staring at the screen she took a deep breath to just relax herself. It was simply a movie. They'd seen bad movies together before, and it wasn't all bad. They'd just have a ton of laughs making fun of it later, once they were out.

Eve smiled brightly, taking said items. "Thanks!" She looked at the screen as the movie began playing. It was a typical romantic story: a man and woman become close to one another, and the problems they had to face before they could finally be together. It was nothing they hadn't seen before, but this time was different for Eve. As she watched the couple on screen, she felt a strange stirring in her heart. Everytime they held hands, every hug, every kiss, Eve found herself longing to experience it herself.

As the movie neared it's end, Eve reached over to get some more popcorn, but her hand landed on something different. It was soft, almost like silk, and warm. So very warm. She glanced over to see what it was she had felt, and was surprised to see her hand resting on top of Katie's. She blushed slightly in embarrassment for mistaking her hand for popcorn, though it was well-hidden in the darkness of the theater.

Eve tried to take her hand away, but... she couldn't. She couldn't bring herself to part with the comforting feel of Katie's hand. In fact, her fingers began to grip the hand more firmly, independent of her own will. She was a little worried now about what Katie was thinking.

Katie watched the screen, trying to tell herself that it wouldn't be all bad. She just hated how lonely these kinds of movies made her feel. Yeah she'd brush it off afterwards, but during the movie it made her just want to have someone whom she could be that physically close to. Share those moments of light touching, and heated kisses. She even had to try and keep herself from crying when the climax hit. This was why she didn't like watching romances. They made her far too emotional for her own good.

For a brief moment she thought of how different Eve's and her relationship would be if they were a little more physically close. At first just the thought of friendly cuddling and holding hands, but then she found herself thinking about kissing her and it wasn't necessarily the thought that shocked her, it was that she found herself liking that thought. That's when Katie just tried to focus on the movie.

As it was coming to the end Katie felt Eve touch her hand. At first she brushed it off as an accident, but then when it lasted more than a moment, and the touch tightened, Katie couldn't keep her eyes from going to their hands. She stared at them for a several long moments, and her own hand tightened around Eve's. Then from the hands her eyes lifted up to look at Eve.

This was not what she was expecting to experience today. She was in love with her best friend. Why not? They had been together since they could remember, they were there for each other no matter what, they had done and pretty much did everything together. If someone looked at that like a relationship, they probably dated more than anyone she'd ever known at least. She was just hoping Eve felt the same, or this was going to be the worse thing to try and deal with now. Though it wouldn't faze her after a day like today.

Eve was relieved when Katie didn't express and negativity towards her actions. She was actually a little shocked when she started gripping her hand more tightly as well. She could feel the powerful emotions that burned in her chest earlier, only more intensely.

The last ten minutes of the movie passed by like a dream, or so it seemed from Eve's perspective. When the film was over and the closing credits started rolling, Eve reluctantly let go of Katie's hand to grab her stuff and get up. She glanced at Katie, smiling, with only the slightest hint of a blush crossing her face.

Katie couldn't pay attention to the movie. She had turned back to the screen after a brief look to Eve. Yet her mind felt like she was thinking a mile a minute, but also as if she wasn't thinking at all. The credits began to role, and it wasn't until Eve pulled her hand away did she truly realize it. She looked put the trash into the soda cup and set the popcorn down before looking up to see Eve looking at her with a smile.

Without really knowing what she was doing, Katie moved up, stopping with her face only inches from Eve's. With a slight tilt of her head, Katie very quickly pressed her lips to her best friend's. Her own blush blossomed into harsh pink and she turned away quickly to try and gather her things. She felt really stupid now and kept questioning herself as to why she had done that. She hadn't even asked, or gave her time to react, she just did. That wasn't here. She didn't do things like that, especially to her best friend, and the fact it was another girl added so many more confusing thoughts and emotions to deal with.

When Katie suddenly came up to her, something inside her head knew what she was going to do, but she didn't resist as their lips brushed against eachother. Her first kiss... not quite what she expected it to be, but not in a bad way; it was better than she would've ever imagined. Okay, so they kissed, so what? As romantic as kisses are, they aren't a huge deal when you think about it. Besides, it was just one little peck. That didn't make them a couple. Not that she would mind, but she kept the sentiment to herself. Instead, she helped Katie clean up their mess and proceeded to exit the theater, dumping the trash in the waste bin outside the door. She snuck a glance back at Katie, but her eyes darted away out of nervousness.

Katie followed Eve, a bit glad she hadn't seemed to be disgusted with the kiss. Well, she was guessing she wasn't, she was too embarrassed to look at her to make sure. She slung her jacket over her arm and grabbed the popcorn bag which still had half the popcorn in it. She curled up the top of the bag to save it for later. Depending on how it went when they left here, she may really need the junk food.

When Eve took a quick glance, Katie tried to see what she might be thinking, but she turned away too quickly. "So that movie...it was..." She couldn't think of anything and went silent again. Looked like going back to normal was not going to work. Which meant one thing, they were going to have to talk. Normally that wasn't a big deal. Even when they had little spats and needed to take some time to talk it out, those always seemed normal, because we knew the outcome would be a hug a couple apologies, and they were good. This was much more than that.

"My car?" she asked, a term she used when talking to Eve over the years. Ever since she'd had a car at least. Whenever she said 'my car' or 'your car', it meant they needed to talk. Cause especially for Katie, everything happened when they were out, or just couldn't get real privacy. With a car they could.

When Katie asked to talk to Eve in private the only way they knew how, she nodded. Of course, she was secretly nervous, since the term had so suddenly taken on a new meaning between them. But she just wanted to talk, right? She wouldn't do that... at least not if Eve wasn't okay with it, too.

Eve exited the theater with Katie, heading to the nearby parking lot where Katie's car was parked. She didn't have her car on hand since she lived close enough to the theater to walk. When they reached the car, she simply climbed in the passenger seat, sitting silently while waiting for Katie to enter. She licked her lips nervously, and could taste the sweetness of Katie on them. She just kissed her best friend, another girl, no less. Yet she felt good, even great, because of it. Was that wrong?

Katie slipped into the front seat, not even looking at Eve. Not yet anyway. She couldn't bring herself to after having taken her first kiss. A part of her wished it could have been more, but she was far too scared to have done so without Eve actually wanting something. That thought alone was a little scary. She wanted Eve to want more. Well, that's why they were going to talk.

"I..." she started, unsure of what to actually say. Talking to Eve had been one of the easiest things to do in her life up until this very moment. She took a deep breath. "I think I'm in love you," she finally got out in a single breath before laying her head on the top of the steering wheel. "You're my best friend, and you've always been there for me, and I've loved you ever since we were young, but..." She finally looked over at Eve. "Please just say something." If she didn't she was just going to ramble on and on, spilling her heart to her best friend, because it's really all she knew how to do. She'd never been in this situation before, and she could just keep blurting out every knew thought, or just hope that Eve understood or at least wanted to hear before she lost the best friend she'd ever had.

When Katie suddenly confessed her feelings to Eve, she was stricken with silence. Katie, her best friend since... forever, was falling for her? What could she say to that. But strangely, it felt right. Eve had always loved Katie, too, but she thought that was normal for friends, and yet... somewhere inside she knew it meant more.

Eve wasn't sure what to say, but she wasn't going to sit their and do nothing. She carefully reached over the seat, wrapped her arms around the other girl's shoulders, and pulled her into a tight embrace. Despite not saying anything, the meaning was clear: she felt the same way.

At the hug Katie let out a heavy sigh, her own arms wrapping around Eve to hold her close. She couldn't really explain what was going on, or really how this had happened, but that didn't matter now. What mattered is that they were here, now, and that no matter what they were still there for each other in pretty much every regard imaginable. Now these feeling simply just seemed too right for it not to be.

Katie finally pulled back from the embrace, slowly, and rested her forehead against the other girl's. "Want to go on a date?" she asked with a light chuckle, her humor for slightly uncomfortable situations coming out, finally. "Halfway done, all we now is actual food." One of her hands was absently playing with the back of her friend's hair. Normally it seemed just a simple friendly thing, but now, now she just found that even in those times before, it was because she liked being able to physically show her affection.

Eve was thrilled when Katie hugged her back. Her wish came true; she got to feel what it was liked to be hugged, kissed, and have her hand held by the person she loved. It was better than she would have ever imagined.

When Katie asked her out, she smiled brightly and said, "Do you even need to ask?" She gently pecked her on the lips and gazed into Katie's eyes while she played with her hair. "And some food sounds great right now. We can stop by my place if you want to. Or we could eat out, it doesn't really matter to me, so long as I'm with you." She gave her another quick kiss, enjoying their embrace.

How had they not done this sooner? It seemed so natural. "So long as I'm with you." Katie blushed at the sentiment and was just all out thrilled with the light kisses they shared. They weren't heated and passionate like something in a movie, they were soft, brief, loving. They were just perfect.

"How about we go out for food, and then go to your place for desert?" she asked, touching her nose lightly to Eve's. It finally made sense to her why she'd never been drawn to anyone else. Her entire life she just couldn't bare the thought of leaving Eve out of any part of her life. Whenever someone would show interest in her, she always thought about how it would effect Eve and her relationship. If they would still be able to spend as much time together, or be as close. Besides, she just never really found anyone who she really liked enough to be close to, other than Eve.

Eve smiled and replied, "That sounds perfect." She reluctantly seperated from Katie so she could drive the car, but her grin never left her face for a moment, nor did the furious red blush that was dominating her entire face. She couldn't believe how much her life had changed in just a few hours, but it all explained why she never had an interest in boys, or most girls, but not Katie. She knew from the beginning that she was the one, she just didn't see it until this night.

Katie pulled back, also blushing, though not quite as bad, but the smile on her face just didn't want to go away. Then the thought crossed her mind. Had she not had such an awful day before this, this never would have happened. It was apparently just meant to be. She started the car and pulled out of the parking space. She figured this was a time to celebrate, so she was going to head to their favorite restaurant.

There first date. Well, first date actually labeling it as such. It felt funny to think about it now. All there dinners and a movie, and going to the others house just to sleep over. Always going to parties together. Hell, even growing up Katie had never grown out of the comfortableness of sleeping in the same bed with her. Now that she was looking at it through new eyes, it was like they'd been together since they day they met. Just without actually being "together".

Katie periodically looked over at Eve with another soft smile, almost as if looking at her with new eyes. She was now appreciating her friend's beauty, truly appreciating it. "I feel like I should say something, but I just don't have words," she finally confessed with an amused sound.

Eve glanced over at Katie, smiling back. "I understand; I felt the same back in he parking lot. I didn't know what to say, so I just used something other than words." She turned to look back at the road, and she suddenly pointed at something outside.

"Hey, we're here!" she screamed with delight, her finger aimed at a uaint little restraunt called 'Homer's Lodge'. The place was amazing; they made the best apple pies, an the rest of their menu was pretty good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom