Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Belle seeks Liberty (Wolvenrogue and Whispered Desire)

Eliza had all but frozen still when his hand moved ever so slightly, two fingers finding their way around her nipple. The sensation was so new to her but yet so exciting she wanted to experience it more. She'd never been with a man this way before and the only thing that she could think of was that if each act of intimacy felt this good, she wanted to experience it all. It wasn't about defying her mother anymore, but more so about her exploring the sensations that were quickly taking control over her.

If he was being clumsy Eliza wouldn't have known as she'd only ever had one man touch her in that way before and his had not been a soft and gentle touch such as Nathaniel's but instead a rough and unwelcome groping. When he admitted to her that he'd not been with a woman before a look of surprise flitted across fair features but she only nodded, stating that she understood and was also inexperienced. Not that it bared repeating since she'd allowed it to slip before.

Then his hand was gone from her breast and she tried to not allow her disappointment show, but quickly it faded, his lips meeting hers, soft and inviting as his hand once again found her breasts and the nipple that had reacted to his touch. Nothing about the moment felt wrong to Eliza no matter how her mind tried to rationalize it for the fleeting second that the thought entered her mind. Thought lent way to pure instinct and despite that his gaze made her want to look away, to cover her body and hide it from him, she also wanted to know more of his touch, to taste more of his kiss.

Breaking that gaze she closed her eyes, soft pink lips parting and inviting him to continue as a contented sigh was breathed into the kiss.

His whole body swelled with joy and releif as he accepted a second kiss from him. The kiss was long and soft, and passionate beyond belief. His whole body shuddered with pleasure as he broke the kiss and finally able to breath came up gasping for air and so full of passion that he was about to burst. He had not even noticed , in the heat of that moment That his manhood had responded to his passion and was now laying hard and ready along the seam between the cheeks of her bottom.

He hadent wished or even acknowledged it, like everything else about this moment it just felt right. He kissed her again this time daring to explore her lips with his tongue. Each new discovery was an epiphany all its own. He had been almost afraid to speak up to this point, but his heart was about to burst at the seams with emotion. He looked down into her eyes.

"I've never felt this way before. never wanted to be close to anyone so badly. I hope this feeling never goes away. If this is love, I know why people seek it out." He fell back into another series of kisses, each one more passionate than the one before. " I want to say I love you. It just seems right but I've known you such a short time. I don't rightly know what it is I'm feeling, but its the finest feeling I have ever experienced."

He looked down into her eyes his attention focused only on them. He hand began to slowly explore her soft body as she laid between his thighs, he head resting on his chest. The passion flowing between them like electricity.

Belles breath caught in her throat at the mention of the word love. It was too soon for them to speak of love, it just couldn't be possible that he loved her after only having known her for such a short time. Admittedly she had already begun to develop feelings for him but Eliza knew little of love.

She did however, know that each one of his touches shot slight jolts of electricity seemingly right through her center and her lips continued to part further with each kiss. Experimentally, a delicate pink tongue slid out and along his lips, tasting, softly trying to force it's way inside of his mouth that she could taste him fully.

She moved slightly, craning her neck to access his lips better and when she did she felt a mans hardness for the first time as it pressed between the cheeks of her firm round bottom. She gasped slightly and with a curious movement, shifted her weight and allowed her hand to wander back and those long delicate fingers to trace the outline of his stiffened member noting how it felt under her fingertips, each small nuance new to her. She noted the swollen head as her finger traced over it, then how thick it was, her fingers moving over the length and feeling each bulging vein, actually feeling his heart beat held within those veins.

He opened not only his mouth to her but also his heart and the whole of his body. He shifted in the pool so he lay on his side beside her and his hard memebr now even harder from her touch was where she might see and explore it. The feel of her long fingers upon hime built a fire within him which he struggled a bit to control, but the joy of just being with her made it all worth the wait.

His fingers strayed now up and down her body, now slipping under the water and on to her tender thighs. He played at the soft skin her found there and then travelling upward explored the silky soft fur tha surrounnded her neather lips and sliding along their crease, gently teased them open and began to slip into the exreme heat between them.

He kissed her warmly and as her tongue ventured out between her lips and beconned at his own, he parted them and gentlly sucked it in, savoring the softness of it and bidding her to explore and play with his own tongue. He gently sucked on her lips first one then the other, as his finger found a strangely hard little button buried inside her near the the top of her opening and explored it curiously. Like she had with his manhood, he could feel it beat in time with her heart.

His manhood now rested along the top of her thigh in the hollow of her hip, and he could not resist rubbing it gently against her soft skin.

Eliza stiffened slightly in Nathaniel's arms. It wasn't that his advances weren't accepted but more so that the sensations were new to her and she didn't quite know how to respond to them. They made her feel flushed despite the cool water. When he'd shifted slightly though granting her easier access to his manhood those fingers grazed the length, her curiosity overwhelming her. Such a simple thing as lying naked with him had induced his current state and couldn't help but wonder if they continued what would...

Her thoughts as well as her tongue chasing his was interrupted by the small gasp emitted from her mouth when his fingers slipped underneath the water, toying with her womanhood. No man had ever touched her there before and quickly she buried her face against that shoulder, her breathing quickening. She felt as fire raced through her blood, a warm sensation that was nigh near indescribable.

His finger lingered against a somewhat rather sensitive mass of nerves in the what would normally have been a soft bud, but not it had become hard and firm and as he explored, she shifted slightly, immediately wishing to close her legs together as it had brought a crimson rise to her cheeks but instead she busied herself with her fingers, lightly placing kisses on his chest. As that finger continued exploring his hardened manhood came to brush with the slightest of touch against her thigh, moving ever so slowly against her skin. The nub of her womanhood grew harder under his touch and each pass of his finger sent a new sensation from her. Eliza bit her lip, barely able to contain the gasp that now was being uttered in the softest of a moan. Eliza wasn't certain how handle the sensations and feelings that coursed through her. She wanted him to stop but she didn't want him to stop. She wanted to experience this but was afraid. Not of the pain that she knew would be eminent if they did anything but she was afraid that she would make a fool of herself, that her would find her moans and actions to be dis-pleasurable and unladylike. Those soft locks would bury deeper against that broad chest and despite the fact that her heart knew fear, she continued exploring his body with her hands.

The touch of her fingers was driving him nearly mad. His manhood harder now than he had ever experienced it. It had become sensitive, and he wanted more of what he was feeling. The lightness of her touch making him desire her all the more. He again lifted her chin and kissed her deeply, drawing her tongue deep into his mouth. He really didn't know what to do, he really only knew what his body seemed to want. His mind struggled for contol of his actions, but was losing to the passions of his heart. He delighted in the feeling of the warmth between her thighs and gently teased them further apart allowing his finger to venture deeper inside. He scooped her into his arms and took her soft breast in his mouth a moment before settling back into the tub and letting her come to rest in his lap, his hard manhood now between her thighs and resting along the length of her slit, his hands now ever so gently exploring her nipples.

He was afraid of what was happening, but delighted just the same. he hugged her and just held her there, the gentleman again gaining a breif toehold on his passions for her. "You are so beautiful my dear." he heard himself say. The moment was surreal, the the pleasure sublime. He wanted to ask her forgiveness, but the words didn't come. This just felt so right, how could it be wrong.

His greatest fear was offending the girl. He had no idea what to expect of her. He was terribly naive, this was all so new.

Although his words were a soft lay of comfort to her ears she still trembled in his arms. Whether it was from the cold, her fear of the unknown or the fire that was raging inside of her she didn't know, she only knew that she was still frightened and..

And he'd just called her beautiful She who could not even look at him when his eyes tried to meet hers. She wished they were in a nice soft bed somewhere, under the comforter with the room dark so that he'd not be able to see her worried look. She worried that everything she did would be wrong, that she'd not please him and most of all that when the morrow came he would view her differently as he did now.

But, his thickness resting against her slit brought forth another sensation, one she hadn't expected and her insides grew as warm as her face did. It was different but it was enticing and she wanted to know more of what that would feel like. When his finger ever so lightly entered into her she gasped out loud enough that there was no hiding it. The gasp emitted was that of pleasure and then she was in his arms being lifted further into his lap and his lips captured the soft flesh of her breast in his mouth.

Eliza Belle Carter moaned a moan of passion for the first time in her life. Right or wrong, painful or not she wanted to know more of him and feel more of his touches against her skin. She shifted in his arms, her tongue delving back into his mouth as she tried to capture that tongue and seize it to once again slide against her own slippery muscle, letting him know that his advances were welcomed.

Hearing her soft moan, he was at first afraid, but then as she brought her lips again to his, his confidence returned. When he extended his tongue to explore her, he felt her try to suck it deeper in her mouth and obliged her desire by extending his tongue further and letting it dance with her own. His heart threatened to pound its way out of his chest as he felt the heat of her neather lips pressing hard against the back of his manood and the sides of it resting against her warm thighs. His fingers continued to play at her nipples. He was thrilled with the tender yet firm feel of them as they rose from the pure white peaks of her breasts, all pink and wonderful. He ran his fingers across them letting them catch between his fingers as he did.

He could feel the heat rise from her face as they kissed and it was nearly matched by the color and temperature of his own, as they explored each others bodies, and shared in the wonder of something wonderful, experienced for the first time. Feeling her heat surronding him, he rocked his hips and pressed the length of his member harder against her partially parting her lips and comming against the still warmer pink flesh within, but not threatening to enter her. He groaned softly with pleasure at the sensation. It was then that he realized just how far out of control he had become.

Their emotions had quickly run away with them, and they were hurdling down a path suddenly had Nathaniel questioning his own actions. Never in his life had he taken advantage of a woman in need, and it seemed at that moment, he was doing just that. He pulled back from the passion of the kiss, and hugged her softly. " I'm sorry miss" he said " I seem to have let my self get carried away. You are a beautiful woman, and you need my help, but I should have controlled myself better. He kissed her gently on the forhead, and now that she was no longer cold got up and out of the tub, and standing behind her, got himself dressed. "I think we should take another look at your leg" he said "and see how it is doing."

When his member stroked softly along her entrance and parted her nether lips Eliza froze at the sensation. It hadn't been displeasing to her but it had been something that made her realize what her thoughtlessness had almost allowed to happen. Even though she was torn over his actions Eliza was grateful that Nathaniel had given her an out for what was transpiring. She knew that in her current state her own sensibilities were questionable and she didn't want her first experience to be out of sheer curiosity or even out of rebellion to spite her mother. If and when it finally happened she wanted it to be at the right time for her and not before.

"Please, you don't have to call me miss. Call me Eliza." She lifted her leg slightly, noticing that the color was returning to normal and she was hopeful that she would finally be allowed to get out of the dreadful water and be clothed again, perhaps then she would feel better. She was wrinkled, and she needed to stand and stretch, but her ankle would need wrapped as she no longer had her horse to ride, walking would be a necessity.

Just then her stomach rumbled and she realized that as well, she was hungry. One thing about home was the delicious meals that she'd grown accustomed to and right now, she could eat a meat and potatoes dinner but the truth was she was so hungry that she'd each just about anything.

Nathaniel looked carefully at her foot and ankle, and though in this position he could have spent time looking at the rest of her body as it was completely exposed to him, the gentleman had returned to control, and he kept his eyes where they belongedtaking only a fleeting glance elsewhere before concentrating on the task at hand. The skin was wrinkled from soaking so long, but looked almost normal, but more important, there was no sign of the angry red streak that had formerly extended almost to her knee. The salts had done their job, and her leg though it would still require some pampering was no longer in immediate danger of being lost.

"Lets get you up and out of that tub." he said. "We will need to wrap that leg tightly and you will have to walk sparingly if at all for a few days, but I think you will be alright." He stood behind her and bracing her under her arms he lifted her her still naked form from the tub in his arms. "You need to wash the salts off your body, grab that cake of soap" he said kneeling down so she could reach it. He carried her down the hill to the creek and tried to stand her on her feet, knowing that her legs would be stiff and shakey at best. Seeing that his assesment was correct, he kicked off his shoes, and while supporting her on the stream bank with one arm, unbuttoned his pants with the other and let them aff to the ground down his thighs. He stepped out of them and then unbuttoned his shirt and took it off one arm at a time. Then, still in his boxers, ahe lifted her into his arms again and stepped down into the cool water of the creek, ahe found the deepest part which came just over his knees, and set her in the cool water on her feet and let her support her self on his shoulder. "I'll help you wash if you need it. Otherwise you can just use me as a prop. Though I do think you had best let me wash your hair. I wouldn't want your to fall. You don't need another injury."

When her body was again cleaned up, he held her by the hips so that she would be able to dip her head in the stream to wet her hair. Her naked bottom then against his upper thighs. Though it was a struggle, he maintained his composure but could not resist kissing the back of her neck gently, and stealing a glance down over her shoulder at the soft peaks of her breasts as the water dropets that covered them glinted in the midmornong sun. It was a wonderful sight that he burned into his memory. "Eliza you are incredibly beautiful," he said. He knew in his heat that he was taken with her, and that the passion he was feeling went far beyond mere physical attraction. The care he had been giving her, had developed into something much richer. This was becoming something much more than a tittilating experience for him.

Belle clung tightly to Nathaniel with her arms wrapped around his neck as he made light work of scooping her into his arms. She bent down to grab the bar of soap that he had given her although the idea of him having to help her bathe was slightly distressing to her. How was she to wash her private areas while a man, almost a stranger watched her? Despite that just prior to getting out of the tub she had allowed him to touch her there without resistance the young girl remained flushed over the idea that now she wouldn't be in the water and he would be able to see her naked form completely in the light of day.

Upon setting her into the water Belle had to surpress a small gasp, the sudden coolness having taken her by surprise. She shivered slightly but being the trooper that she was had taken the soap and lathered her hand with it beginning to smooth it and gliding them over her creamy smooth pale skin. The soap lay between her thighs partially covering the small mound of hair under the water and she was a bit more at ease for it being there for the time being.

Beginning at her neck her hands lathered her body, trailing down her breasts over the ample globes and still taut perk nipples. The cool water coupled with the still sensitive flesh caused her to bite her lip to stifle the slightest gasp of unexpected pleasure and quickly she moved her hands away. Leaning forward she again lathered her hands with the soap and resumed washing herself, starting at her feet and working her hands up her long lean legs, traveling over the calf then up to her thighs. She washed herself carefully making sure to get all of the salts off of her as she knew if it remained upon he skin when it dried that she would end up with very dried out skin.

Then she needed to remove the soap from between her thighs, uncovering that soft mound and she squinted her eyes shut not wanting to think about the fact that Nathaniel would be able to see her hand as she lifted her bottom slightly to expose the tuft of hair and pink nether lips. She worked the soap over her pelvic area and then finally parted her legs and ran the soap between her thighs. As her fingers touched her soft nether lips she realized just how aroused she had become under Nathaniel's earlier ministrations. Color crept into those pale cheeks as her fingers worked the soap around the sensitive folds to remove the gathered moisture there, the subtle act of brushing her finger over those soft nether lips causing her to shift slightly against Nathaniel's thigh.

She sighed to herself. She wanted to know what it was like to know a mans touch and more importantly, she wanted to know more of Nathaniel's touch. She had rather enjoyed the way that he had been tender with her and had found it to be an admiral trait, but yet his kiss had held the promise of a even deeper passion filled with a desire that she'd not felt with other men. After the soap had been ran through her long hair, Nathaniel helped the dark haired beauty to rid her hair of the soap and had returned her to her sitting position she being cradled now in his lap, her naked bottom pressing against his thighs.

"Eliza you are incredibly beautiful,"

Eliza didn't know how to respond to his compliment with words but she found that instinctively her hands returned around his neck and her mouth would claim his in an unexpected moment of bravery with a passionate kiss that she'd not even known she was capable of. Her tongue sought his, exploring his mouth as her tongue moved withing tasting the taste and chasing his tongue softly with her own. She was twisted at the waist now, the soap no longer covering her womanly flower and her hands roamed over Nathaniel's broad chest, Eliza never realizing that as though it had come naturally to her she was pressing her bottom firmly into his almost naked lap and suddenly she wished for him to again be touching her the way that he had been earlier.

She wanted Nathaniel, she felt a connection to him but she didn't want him to think some mere harlot or that she'd been this way with other men. The truth was that she just was having feelings for Nathaniel, and not just the ones that caused her to dampen once again between her legs or made her blood feel as though it boiled with in her body. One hand moved to the back of his head, causing those firm peaks of her breasts to jut against his skin, her mouth parting from his only for the briefest of moment before she whispered his name "Nathaniel" and returned her lips to his, inviting him to return her affections if he were so inclined.

Secretly Eliza was praying that he would be so inclined. If she didn't do something about the ache she felt welling up inside of her loins soon she didn't know how she would make it through her day.

Nathaniel pressed passionately into the kiss as Eliza continued it. A few moments ago, they had both been embarrassed by their actions, but that embarrassment quickly melted away in the heat of passion and curiosity. Nathaniel had never known sexual pleasure let alone a woman. Neither had even been a part of his world before today. His mother had died when he was just a baby. What he knew of women was strictly the teachings of his father which were that they were delicate creatures to be treated with respect, and at all costs protected from the dangers of the world which were many. It was a highly idealized, and very unrealistic concept, but for Nathaniel it was his reality.

He had simply never had occasion until now to experience sexual intimacy or pleasure. Eliza was the first he had ever seen closer than a distance of 10 feet, and the only he had ever seen unencumbered by clothing. The whole idea was a wonder to him.
When her actions bid him to continue their prior intimacy, not only was the message unmistakable, it was not to be denied. Though she had previously rinsed the suds from her body, her hair held far more, and it seemed she needed some help to remove it. He held her tightly about the waist, supporting her injured leg so that she could lean low and get her hair into the water, and as she did, her ran the fingers of his free hand through her chocolate locks working out the suds. the close proximity of her warm thighs in the cool water aroused him again and though he still wore his white cotton boxers, they did nothing to conceal the length or girth of his erection from Eliza’s view. The water had rendered them nearly transparent, and heavy enough that the elastic would no longer support them at his narrow waist, and as they enjoyed each other, his shorts slowly slipped down his thighs until they were beneath the surface of the water and it appeared he was wearing none, his extremely hard manhood now poking at her soft belly.

As they stood in the cool water kissing he wrapped his arms about her body, and let his hands explore her back and bottom. His hand slowly made its way around her hip and snaked between them finding the warm place between her thighs. He again found the small but stiff little button between her lower lips, and having not yet satisfied his curiosity about it began to gently play with it as he continued to kiss her.

“I’ve never felt this way before” he said to her looking deep into her eyes. “I really don’t know what to make of it, but I know this, it’s the nicest feeling in the whole world, and I will never tire of it. I hope you feel the same way. He renewed his kiss once again, and then stepped back admiring the beauty that stood before him now.

Eliza's knees felt weak when Nathaniel touched button that way and under the water in her close proximity to him she could see that he'd entered into an aroused state again. She returned his kiss, moaning softly as his finger found that sensitive mass of flesh once again. Belle had to shift to steady herself and as much as she didn't want the moment to end, thought it best if they finally got her out of the water and onto dry ground.

Pressing her forehead to his she whispered lowly "I think maybe I'd like to be out of the water now." Truth be told, she was wrinkled like a prune and she wanted to feel dry again despite that it was with great reluctance that she broke his kiss. With cautious steps she moved through the water, finally stepping out of the water so that he would only see her naked form from behind. She dried herself the best that she could and then while waiting for him to exit the water she dressed back in her now almost completely dry clothes, feeling much more at ease when she again turned to face him.

Eliza hobbled over to what was left of the fire and tried to warm herself, offering him a smile and then realizing she'd never responded to his last comment. It was a nice feeling, she had to admit that but when it came down to it she didn't understand these new feelings that she was experiencing, the emotional or physical side of it and she didn't know how to respond, therefore she'd said nothing.

Her stomach growled again. She was appreciative of the food that he'd given her before but her stomach refused to acknowledge it as having been enough. They would need to get something with more substance in them soon.

Nathaniel pulled on his shorts again and then left the water and dressed. He gathered some fire wood and placed a small pile by the fire. “Keep the fire burning”, he said, I’m going hunting. He took a sling shot and a long knife from his back pack and headed out into the woods. He knew that he shouldn’t leave her long and they were both hungry. He decided on the small and easy prey. He walked a few yards beyond the camp, and sat down against a tree, and sat very still. After about a half hour the woods returned to their undisturbed state, the animals now mistaking him for part of the scenery. A pair of rabbits wandered to within range which was a fatal mistake. Two stone launched by Nathaniel’s sling shot made quick work of them. Using his knife he gutted and skinned them on the spot. As he walked back he collected wild carrots, and some cat-tails which have kernels which are almost like water chestnuts. He returned to camp to find Eliza happily warming herself and building up the fire.

Nathaniel cut two skewers from a green tree branch and put the rabbit and carrots over the fire to roast. He handed Eliza several cat-tails, and showed her how to properly eat them. They made a crunchy appetizer. He dipped some water from the stream and heated it in his canteen, and added sassafras leaves to make tea. Within an hour the rabbits were full cooked and ready to eat. Using his long knife he cut meat from the bones and they ate ravenously.

No sooner had they finished eating their dinner than Nathaniel heard the sound of hoofbeats in the distance. He dropped his canteen and ran quickly to the top of the rise. In the distance, he saw a column of men slowly plodding up the trail in thier direction. He knew that although they were camped a good distance from the trail the smoke from their fire might already have been seen. Though he had no idea their business he ran as fast as he could back to the camp and acted quickly by kicking out the fire, picking up his pack and other supplies, then tossing Eliza over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. “Be quiet he said in a hushed voice as he ran with her on his shoulder off into the nearby thicket, where they hid and waited.

Eliza busied herself keeping the fire going, tending to it and practicing walking gingerly around the camp testing her ankle. It was beginning to feel much better now and she decided that it would benefit her to keep it wrapped for a bit. She tore shred of the dress from the already torn and tattered dress and used it as a make shift splint, wrapping it tight enough to help guard the injured ankle.

While Nathaniel was gone she considered the previous nights and morning events and albeit she knew that a true southern lady would never have allowed any type of sex before marriage, Eliza couldn't deny that she'd been curious and perhaps used bad judgement. Even worse though, she found herself to still be curious. When he'd touched her that way she'd felt strange and warm and had found it pleasing. Eliza sighed then, deciding it had been for the best that they had stopped when they did. After all the only thing that she knew about Nathaniel was that daddy had sent him and that he had been a true gentleman other than when he'd touch her that way but she had welcomed it. She could and would not fault him for that. She was grateful for the brief respite from his presence however as it had given her time to think a bit more clearly and put things into perspective.

She'd just added another log onto the fire when she heard movement behind her and she'd looked expecting it to be none other than Nathaniel. He'd brought food back even if it was only rabbit, she was hungry and while he ate ravenously and she desired to she remembered her manners and ate slowly, savoring each bite.

At the same time as Nathaniel she heard the thundering sound of hoof beats and she stood watching as he ran to the rise and back again, putting out the fire and hefting her like she were some sort of sack of potatoes or something. Despite her protests that she could walk herself and what was he hiding from he'd carried her off anyhow, ordering her to be quiet.

A group of men shortly thereafter came riding into the camp but she heard one of them saying "It looks like someone has been wounded." The make shift tub still sat with the salts water in it. Another said "They can't be far, fire's still got hot coals in it."

Off they rode and when the threat was gone Belle emerged, slightly indignant for having been manhandled in such a way when they simply could have found out what or who the riders wanted. "Are you crazy?" She inquired, her voice slightly heated "Why would you make us hide from them? They could have provided assistance, they could have taken me on horse back to procure my own horse!" In her mind, Nathaniel's actions had been irrational and suddenly she was left to wonder why he had acted so strangely. Even if it had been the slim chance that her father had sent others to look for her, it wasn't like they could force her to return home anyhow unless they did it against her will and if it came to that, Father and Mother would have much to answer for and would risk losing their daughter forever and not just until she got over her wanderlust to roam.

Nathaniel got out of their hiding place, looking indignant. “Well begging your pardon, Miss, but I was under the impression that you wished to maintain your freedom.” You may not lack for courage, but I’m afraid you are more than a bit naïve when it comes to men’s intentions, especially soldier’s intentions when they are out on their own. This isn’t Daddy’s plantation and that patrol was clearly looking for someone, probably you. Being that they are confederate soldiers, it’s likely they were sent by your father. My instructions were to return you by force if necessary, so it’s likely theirs were the same. If not, and they were on their own, finding a young woman out here on her own would be a prize too tempting to pass up, and you would have likely been the object of their physical satisfaction, and not just one but the whole lot of them. Either way, once they found you, the die would have been cast and the decisions out of your hands, and in theirs. So now, if you think my judgment bad, I’ll pack up my things and be on my way and let you be on yours. I no longer have any interest in your father’s money, nor do I wish to encumber you against your will. All you need do is restart that fire, and I assure you the soldiers will be back, and you may take your chances with them. If that’s what you prefer.”

He rummaged through his pack and produced a few stick matches and handed them to her. He emptied the tub and folded his oilcloth poncho and packed it away. “Miss, one way or another, those soldiers will return, and I don’t want to be here when they do. They will likely either shoot or arrest me, and that I didn’t sign up for. You may travel with me if you wish, or go your own way, that is up to you. I wouldn’t recommend attempting to walk far on that leg though. It’s not ready and won’t stand it. This is coyote country, and they can smell fear and sense when someone is weak. If you’re not coming with me, best start that fire, and take your chances with the soldiers. I can easily carry you and don’t mind at all, but I’m leaving now while there is still time and daylight left for travelling.”

Belle considered his words and her indignation subsided to a degree, and apology forming on her lips.

"I'm sorry. I hadn't thought of it that way." Was all that she offered. Of course he was right but he didn't have to be so damn nonchalant about it. She stood on her ankle. While still tender she abhorred the idea of being carried and felt it to be safe to walk on, refusing his offer of carrying her. Surely they would find her horse, or a horse that could be purchased soon.

She considered for a moment taking her chances striking out on her own but thought better of it and decided that perhaps later she could strike out on her own but for now she was content to go along with Nathaniel. She'd be safe with him, he knew alot about the woods and for some odd reason although he irritated her at times, she still liked him.

"I'll travel with you, but honestly I have legs I can walk on my own." A slight touch of defiance still flashed in her eyes before softening. "Save your strength Nathaniel, you can carry me later if it's needed." Perhaps walking on her ankle wasn't the best idea but it wasn't broke. The infection from open wounds had presented more of a threat than the twisted ankle had.

“Alright” he said. He was reasonably sure that she was making a mistake, but from what he had seen so far of the headstrong girl, arguing with he was of little use. Pain would be much more convincing, and that he was sure was coming. They started off walking through the woods in a northerly direction, and not on the trail. They could not be easily tracked in that way. A couple miles further north the encountered a small stream and he led her down into it, insisting they walk in the water at least a quarter mile. He knew that walking in the water would leave no trace of their presence, and slow their tracker down considerably. The water was colder here as they had been walking up hill. Each time he looked back, the distance between them was increasing. She was tiring, and he knew it. He stopped and waited the 10 minutes it took for her to catch up. Her dress was soaked and muddy. And her hair was falling in her face making it difficult to see. She looked tired and harried.

As soon as she had caught up with him, he started out again, not waiting for her to rest. He knew that it was frustrating for her, but he also knew that experience was a great teacher. The terrain was becoming steeper now, and they were heading up hill, rocks and loose debris filled their path and the walking was getting difficult even when you were healthy, still he pressed on at a steady rate. He had to admit, Eliza had spunk, and she didn’t give up easily, but he knew for both their safety, this couldn’t continue. An hour later, he again waited for her to catch up with him. As she finally caught up to where he sat waiting on a rock, he looked at her and said. “Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but we have limited daylight, and we need to put distance between us and those soldiers. You may be able to walk, but waiting for you is putting us both in danger. I’d like to carry you for my own safety.” You’re not heavy, and it’s no trouble, many is the time I’ve carried a 120 pound pack, I can manage a 90 lb woman.” He reached down and pulled the hem of her long dress out of the way to look at her ankle. The wound which had almost healed had reopened and was bleeding again, and the cloth she had used to wrap it was soaked in blood. “That isn’t good” he said, honest concern in his voice. They had no more Epsom salts so further soaking was out of the question. “If that get’s infected, you will lose your leg.”

Back
Top Bottom