Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Aftermath (Razgriz x Lustfull_Sin)

It was as if her mind had shut down, not wishing to hear anymore and not wishing for her to suffer any more. Her eyes slowly shifted down as she stared at Bolsov's chest. Her hands shook, but she finally let go of his shirt, her hands falling to her sides. "H-He's......r-really gone..." She said in a hushed town. She was on autopilot now, her mind blanked out almost. It was as if everything around was blurring out and she was just going and thinking on autopilot.

Slowly, she turned away from them and stepped back into her living area, not even bothering to close the door behind her. She went to the couch and sat down, her hands settled on her thighs as she stared off at the wall. She wasn't sure why she thought of this, but she began to speak, saying whatever was on her mind. "W-We...have....to clear out his room. He would want...everything packed properly. Make sure....everything is organized in boxes...and labeled properly. His clothes....have to be separated. He always...s-separated his clothes...d-depending...on what he was doing. All....all his uniforms..in one.....a-and...his civilian clothes in another box." As she continued to speak, tear after tear spilled from her eyes and rushed down her cheeks.

Her voice was getting a bit choked up as well and she was taking deep, gasping breathes in order to keep talking. "A-and....h-he.....a-a-a-always...stored...h-his...s-shoes....in t-their boxes.....because....h-h-he always said.....y-you never know...w-w-when....when you....when you have to....have to....."Her hands fisted the hem of her shirt and she finally let herself go. She gasped and cried, rocking back and forth, her hands coming up to cover her face as she leaned forward, hand covered face pressing against her knees. "B-Bast-t-tard.........f-f-fucking...b-bast-t-t-tard." She huffed and choked, unable to make herself stop.

For a few long moments, Bolsov and Kayla just stared at each other as if they were trying to show that they were right in their views. However, the tension was broken when she released her grip on the soldier's shirt, her body going into what seemed like a trance. It was even more evident as she turned and slowly walked back in, the trio just watching unsure of what to do as she sat on the sofa. None of them knew how to comfort her; all three of them had girls of their own to return to, but Kayla would be all alone until she might find someone suitable again...If she even chose to try such a thing, that is.

"Kayla..." Kinsey finally whispered, his own eyes shimmering as she broke down even more and started telling them what they needed to do. Clear out his space, inventory all of his possessions and of course, send it back to the family. Delta Force and the UNSC as a whole lost a lot of good soldiers during these past four years, and all three of them just imagined the similar torment other families and loved ones were experiencing right now. Eventually, Bolsov turned to the only superior officer present of Jackson's unit and said in a low tone, "Williams...You and Kinsey go take care of his things. I'll stay behind". Williams just nodded and as Kinsey was about to raise a protest, the good Warrant Officer placed a hand on the greenhorn's shoulder to silence him. After an exchange of furtive glances, Kinsey conceded and soon followed Williams to Jackson's apartment at the top right corner of the complex.

Bolsov took a deep breath and stepped over the threshold, making his way to sit next to the grieving ex; a hand was raised tentatively, as if debating whether he should continue or not. But right now, she needed comforting and even though they hated each other in the past...Perhaps this, the one who always fucked with her trying to help calm the turmoil in her heart and soul, would help her see that she was not alone in this. Closing his eyes, his strong hand came down softly to rest on her back, his gruff voice saying, "Kayla...I realize this must be hard for you. Really, I do; I wish...I wish things didn't have to turn out like this. I know I screwed with you a lot in the past, and for that I am truly sorry. But, there is something else you should know...When Jackson gave the order to take-off, before we lost his signal..." He then turned on the couch to face her more directly, "He wanted one of us to let you know that he loved you".

She wasn't sure how long she had been in that position, crying her eyes out, soaking the backs of her hands with her tears. She kept crying though, even when she felt someone next to her and settle on the couch. Kayla trembled from the intense emotions she was going through. Oh God, what was she suppose to do now?

Feeling a warm, heavy hand on her back, she tensed for a moment, but relaxed upon hearing Bolsov's voice. Funny that she would feel calm in hearing his voice. Maybe it was because of all the hate they had for each other that they were cool with each other. Sniffling, Kayla sat up just a bit and wiped her eyes, trying to get as many tears off her cheeks and eyes. Hearing Bolsov speak was in a way dulling her sadness, but not by much. Oh he got it right. He screwed with her all the time. Always a bullet-not thorn- but bullet to her side that she could never get out and get rid of, then again, he was Jackson's friend, so it had been hard to get rid of him unless she left, which she wouldn't.

Sitting up a bit straighter, she continued to wipe at her eyes, trying to keep the tears from falling even more. God, she hated crying. To her it showed weakness, but maybe, right now, showing weakness wasn't so bad. As he apologized, Kayla felt her chest grow heavy and her throat tighten. To hear an apology from this man. She hiccupped a sobbed and wiped her face. “I-It's...okay....” She forced and turned when he had something else to tell her. Oh God, what more could there be? Not bothering to turn and look at him, Kayla stayed as she was, that is, until Bolsov told her what Jackson said. Her head turned swiftly towards him, her eyes wide.

Great, tears began to well up again and gently fall from where they were. “H-He...s-said that...?” She asked even though she shouldn't have. Her lower lip began to tremble and Kayla turned away from him, her head bent downward, eyes fixated on her hands. “H-He died....still loving me.....” she sniffled, “ and thinking...that I hated him no doubt. Oh God.” She covered her eyes. “I said some fucked up shit to him Bolsov. No I love you's. No I'll miss you or anything.” She bit her lip. “I told him to go ahead and get himself killed for those fuck heads that were on that damn planet.” She rocked back and forth. “ I fucking told him.....that I hope....he fucking dies...a-and...l-learns a fucking lesson.” Kayla shook her head, remembering the nasty quarrel they had. “And he did died.” She breathed hard. “He did die and I said those things. I shouldn't have said them. If I hadn't, he would still be alive. Oh God, it's my fault. He got himself killed...and I told him to....” Kayla pressed her palms harshly against her eyes and sobbed. “It's my f-fault...a-all my f-fault...”

Bolsov couldn't help but let out a sigh; even if it wasn't all okay - at least not to him - hearing her forgive him for all the times he fucked with her, trying to get her to leave and telling Jackson she was nothing but trouble....Well, it was one less weight off his shoulders. Even so, there was still the issue of Jackson's last words; Bolsov had some idea of what her response would be, but no real idea to the true magnitude of it. Bolsov remembered that fight they had, just hours before they had to deploy. Kayla did say some messed-up things, no things that should be said to those one was close to. Bolsov tried to use this opportunity while in flight to that godforsaken to tell Jackson that he was right in his assessment of her, something the man now knew was a mistake.

But he also knew that it wasn't just her that voiced the matter of not sending soldiers to repair a government's mistake. Other families and lovers of the other soldiers, his own included, were vehemently opposed to sending good men to that awful world; however, it was ultimate the UNSC's oath to protect all its citizens - wherever they may be, from right next door to the farthest reaches of the universe - that won out. And with that began the relief effort all those years ago; and even with all those Delta Force soldiers supporting the main armed divisions it wasn't enough. A lot were saved...But many were still lost and it infuriated those who opposed the shipment of soldiers.

Bolsov just sat there and let Kayla express herself; it was something she needed to do, if only to get it off her chest. When she finished, her hands coming up to cover her eyes and her sobbing getting worse, Bolsov then did something he never thought he would do: He scooted closer to Kayla and embraced her, letting her head rest against his broad chest and his arms wrapping around in an attempt to comfort her turmoil-filled soul. His gruff, stubble-lined chin rested on the top of her head, a hand coming up to stroke the velvety locks of red. "Kayla...You know Jackson didn't think that; it was a rough time for everyone. No one wanted their loved ones sent to that damned planet, but the soldiers wanted to go...To defend and look out for each other no matter where they were. As much as I hate to say, Jackson still would have gone even if you hadn't had that argument; you and I both know how hard-headed he can be". He then pulled back from her, to let them look into each others' eyes, the man's tears streaming down the corners and running in identical twin trails over his cheeks as he added, "But what I can tell you is that he still wanted to come back to you; I'm just sorry we couldn't bring him back. I'm sorry that we couldn't give you and him a chance to get back together".
*Back on Deseus...*

Jackson just laid in bed, his body fatigued but his mind restless; even if he knew he needed to rest, his years of near-constant mobility made it very difficult for him to stay still. His eyes, heavy with the desire to sleep but unable to close, just stared up at the ceiling as he wondered. Wondered about Earth, about his family....About Kayla. Even now, he could hear the last conversation they ever had. One that was not pleasant to listen to and tore at him greatly.

"Look, Kayla, this isn't fucking up for discussion! I'm leaving in a few hours! There are innocent people in danger and I don't have time for this shit!"

"Oh yeah, because they so deserve to be saved! Why do you have to stick your neck out!? Why is it your job to make those fuck-heads look good?"

"Because I'm a fucking soldier, and that's what I do! The brass lied to those people, said they would be safe! I'm going to make sure they all get out alive, whether you fucking like it or not!"

"God, you're such a fucking idiot, Jackson! You know what....Fine! Go off and die with all those fuckheads for all I care! I'm done trying to reason with you! So you know what, I hope you fucking die! Maybe then you'll get it through that thick skull of yours that doing their dirty work isn't all there is to life! That having to go and fight because they fucked up isn't everything!"

"You know what....Bolsov was right about you. You're nothing but a manipulative, loud-mouthed cunt! Every time I have to go on a mission, you bitch and moan! You try to make the fact I'm doing my job is a fucking crime against nature or something! So guess what...We. Are fucking....THROUGH! I'm fucking done with you and if I do die, I'll be dancing on clouds because I won't be anywhere near you!"

By the time the conversation - if one could call it that - ended, Jackson's eyes leaked shining streams of tears from the corners and his chest heaved with repressed sobs. God, how could he say something so horrible? His left hand curled into a fist and he weakly smashed it into the mattress in frustration; he couldn't even say he was sorry now. He was stuck here for the foreseeable future, surrounded by freaks who wanted to have his babies.

Eventually, he turned onto his side and tried to forget, tried to not think that any chance of patching up with Kayla was forever gone. And for a while it worked, his vision filled with the twilight sky just outside the window. The heavens slowly grew that classic shade of violet-orange, the bright orb in the sky halfway through its descent into the horizon beyond. And strangely enough, in that moment Jackson felt...peaceful. Like, really peaceful. He couldn't explain the strange new sensation, but it now felt more like staying here in this bed, with these two women - even if they weren't fully human - was his chance at finally being able to relax after this long trial of survival.

But that soon came to an end, as the thoughts he'd been trying to repress came creeping in anyway: There was no way Kayla would take him back...Not after being gone so long and especially not after a 'goodbye' like that. She'd found someone else by now; she was a strong-willed, intelligent bombshell of a woman. And a hell of a lay in bed to boot; yeah, she would go on without him, thinking that he didn't give two shits about her. He then let out another groan and turned once more onto his back; the creaking would be fairly noticeable to Punff and Lanthe, suggesting that perhaps he was having trouble falling asleep and would require some assistance to reach never-never land.

Kayla heaved and sobbed hard, especially when she felt heavy arms wrap around her. How many times had Jackson wrapped his arms around her and held her so lovingly? She would never have that now. Not ever. Fuck the damn government. They shouldn't have messed with that damn planet in the first place.

Finally, after what felt like hours, but in fact just five minutes, she quieted down and listened to Bolsov express his own feelings as well. Sniffling, she wiped her nose a bit and looked up as he pulled away from her a bit. “You...guys....I know you all tried to do everything you could.” She bit her lip, her throat tightening up a bit. “Jackson....was...always playing hero.” She wiped away a tear. “The hard, headed ass.” She looked away from Bolsov and let out a soft chuckle at her own comment. With Bolsov having stayed to comfort her and tell her how Jackson felt about her made his passing a bit better, but not by much. It hurt more at the fact that there would be a burial ceremony,but no body to bury. To picture his body lying somewhere on a god forsaken field somewhere angered her.

Kayla couldn't let anger get the better of her, not right now. Wiping another tear, she took a breathe, trying to calm herself. “thank you Bolsov.........for everything. I know..it must have been hard to have stayed behind and deal with me.” She smiled at him, teasingly with her comment. “I think....once the burial and remembrance ceremony is complete, we should all get together and have a few drinks in his name. He would have liked that. He liked drinking hard and hanging with friends and loved ones.” She stood and smoothed her hands down her, well, Jackson's shirt. Not looking at Bolsov, she spoke, her voice still strained, but not severely. “I think....you should go now and get back to your girlfriend. She must be worried and scared that you haven't gone to her.” Looking over her shoulder, she smiled. “Close the door on your way out and tell your lady I said hi,okay.” And without another word, Kayla went back to her room and closed the door, leaving Bolsov to see himself out. Kayla was grateful, especially at the fact that Bolsov, the man she had most despised, had taken the chance and came to comfort her. It seemed because of this, they respected each other now. Jackson was always trying to get them to be friendly to each other and he finally succeeded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on Deseus

Punff had peaked in the room, doing her best to make sure Jackson didn't hear her. She saw him breathing hard and the twinkling of a tear streaming down his temples. She frowned and pulled away, creeping back to Lanthe who was in the kitchen preparing his meal. “He's crying.” She said in a low voice, her lips curved down in a frown.

Lanthe looked at her, concerned. “From pain?” She asked, worried.

“I...don't think so. I think.....he remembered something that made him sad. Maybe....maybe he's thinking about his home or something.” Punff frowned. “Poor thing. If only we can help in sending him back or something.”

Lanthe sighed. “If only. All the females of this planet have done great damage to the humans technology. No one will return either, for they now fear this planet. He is stuck here, but we will do all we can to make him feel better. He may not wish to see this place as a home, but...a....sanctuary of some sort.” Lanthe moved and grabbed a bowl and ladled some broth and veggies in it, almost topping it. Her ears perked and twitched as she set the bowl down on a tray. “He's shifting about too much. Go see if he is hungry......or perhaps needs help sleeping.”

“He hates that. Well...no....he no longer hates it. I think....he just doesn't like the fact he can't fall asleep naturally.” Punff turned away and left the kitchen, this time not bothering to hide that she was approaching. Stopping, she knocked on the door frame and poked her head in, a soft smile on her lips. “Good evening Jackson. How are you feeling?” She asked. She always asked that. It became a habit to ask how he was feeling. Stepping in, Punff took no more than four steps before stopping just a few feet from him. He made it clear that he didn't want them near, only when bringing food and that was it. Punff and Lanthe too it to heart and respected his wishes. “Lanthe has prepared supper....unless.....you're tired? Do you need help?” She waited. She knew he didn't like being asked, but she had to, no matter how he felt. She was here to take care of him.

Bolsov couldn't help but chuckle as Kayla did so; Jackson was indeed a hard-head. But coming from a family of men who served in the armed forces, he knew it was partly because of his upbringing. And partly because he learned how to deal with his problems; his time in high school - however short it was - made him a prime target for other hot-heads trying to beat their chest and show they were the alpha male.

"I know it's not going to be easy with Jackson gone, but he would have wanted me to come make sure you were alright. Otherwise he'd have kicked my ass for not doing so" Bolsov said, a slightly amused grin crossing his face before he finally let Kayla go; he was thankful his own woman wasn't here. Even with the circumstances at hand, she would probably have a hard time forgiving him for acting with another woman like this.

Speaking of his girlfriend, Kayla was right; he should probably go see her. Lord only knew she was probably going to kick his ass, then smother him with her form of love for going off on that suicide mission. "Will do, my friend. It will probably be a few days before they tally up the dead and perform an honor service, but drinks will not be forgotten" As she turned away, he only added, "It was nice being able to talk to you, Kayla...Let us hope our dear friend is well" before turning himself to leave, contemplating over how things must be going for Kinsey and Williams, and Lieutenant Richards with the family.
Jackson, meanwhile, laid in the bed stewing in self-guilt and frustration; he hoped his last message got through enough. It still wouldn't be enough, but at least she would (hopefully) think that despite their differences in opinion, he still cared about her even though their relationship was over. Even if he did make it back...Would it matter? It would take a number of years for him to reach Earth, and even someone like Kayla was sure to have found someone else by that point. Who would wait for a man pronounced KIA to return? It was stupid, and he knew it. It still didn't help ease the pain in his heart; he just wished there was some way he could at least see Kayla had been told. Even that much would help...But not knowing was the worst. It always was, no matter the situation.

However, his thoughts were soon distracted as the big-hearted Weresheep returned, inquiring about whether he wanted to eat or have some help falling asleep. For a few moments, he was quiet, laying on his side and not answering her; why should he? He knew what he was to things like them. And with how just being near her made him feel, it could easily turn into her riding him until he came inside her, helping her make babies. And then Lanthe would take her turn, milking him just like so many humans milked cows.

"Even still...They haven't done anything yet. If they really wanted to use me like that, they could have taken so many opportunities" Jackson then thought; besides, her wool did help knock him out. Maybe that's what he needed. He just didn't know though...So many things left unsaid. So much undone. What would his fate be now? Giving a resigned sigh, Jackson turned over onto his back and with some effort, sat up to let his back rest against the headboard as his eyes peered into his lap. "No...I'll fall asleep on my own. Just...there's so much going through my head right now". Jackson lifted his head up, his cheeks still having shimmering trails run down them and said, "Punff...I'm sure you mean well, but you don't know what I've been through. Even still, you and...Lanthe, right?...you two have been done a lot. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't grateful, deep down. But I have to know...What exactly do you two plan to do with me? I can't stay here forever, and I doubt you'd want someone like me hanging around longer than he has to, you know?"

Punff nibbled her lip, waiting for him to respond. He had turned onto his side, as if he didn't wish for anyone to see him in such a sad state. Perhaps she ought to leave him be for a moment. She and Lanthe never once bothered him, only to get him to the tub to take a bath and help him out, but from there, they would leave so he wouldn't have to feel the need to guard himself while naked.

A few heart beats later, he finally turned onto his back and smiled when he did not need help in sleeping. As he sat up, Punff took a thorough look at him. He was regaining a bit more body mass here and there. Mildly weak, but not by much. After having spent some days with them, Jackson was starting to look better. No longer pale and his cheeks and stomach were no longer sucked in. Perhaps after a few more weeks,he'll be back to the state he used to be.

As he sat himself straight with no help what-so-ever, she smiled even more. He was growing stronger and she liked that it was all because of she and Lanthe. Just before she could offer him some food, he inquired as to what their plans were for him. That stopped her short a bit. Their plans? Punff thought for a moment. Lanthe had mentioned that once he was fully recovered, they would help him figure out a way to get off their planet. “ Well.....Lanthe and I were going to have you stay here as long as you needed in order to properly recover. You can stay for how ever long you need. We won't bother you or ask anything of you Jackson.” She gave him a reassuring smile. “And once the day comes that you plan to leave..well.....-” She rubbed the wool along her left arm, “-Lanthe and I....well....we were sort of hoping you'd let us help you. We know how much you don't want to be here. It isn't fair that you were forced to be here and we know how much you wanna go back home. Not only that, but....we wouldn't want anything bad happening to you. The females here...well....you've seen how they are. Without males, most if not all have gone crazed.......except for me and Lanthe that is.” She rushed out in saying that to assure him even more. She paused and nibbled her lip, looking down and kicking her hooved foot gently back and forth. “So....will it be okay....that we help you? We will understand if you do not want us around. We just hope you'll let us provide you with food and necessities.” She looked up slightly, her eyes wide and pleading. It was the most strongest puppy dog look that no one could ever say no to. Not even Lanthe could and she's tried.

Jackson didn't like the pause that followed after his question; whatever she was thinking of trying to say, he might not be able to believe her. Though her initial statement certainly threw him for a loop, his eyes never left her. Still unsure as to whether or not she might try to use him to fulfill...that purpose. Letting out a breath he didn't even realize he was holding, he then replied "Really, now? You're just going to let me stay...no questions asked until I recover. Well, recover enough to move on my own more easily". He added that last part as a way of telling that he certainly didn't plan on staying here any longer than he had to.

When she mentioned the females being crazed, Jackson couldn't help but grin a little; strangely, it was kind of funny. Here he was, thinking they were going to kill him. Exact revenge on those he himself had killed in the name of survival. But...They just wanted him because apparently they could interbreed; thinking back, everything about this made sense. He remembered certain battles where soldiers were carried off...Not killed and left to rot where they lay. His mind then wandered to how many were taken; he knew better than to not those he witnessed were but a fraction of the total. He wondered if Punff or Lanthe had any inkling of how many he had slaughtered...Of how many times he squeezed the trigger.

Though when she looked at him, eyes bright and shining with such undeniable innocence, a gentle smile of his own actually curled up the corners of his lips. "You know...I would probably be an idiot to try to keep going. Especially in my condition". He remembered each of the heart attacks he had: How weak it made him, how much it actually scared him. It was a shocking but ultimately necessary reminder that despite his training...He was still human and relatively fragile. "'Sides...Having two heart attacks in the course of a day isn't my idea of a good time. So...Consider me your prolonged temporary houseguest, I suppose". His gaze then hardened a little, "But tell me something...Since I'm apparently the only male left that can be used for...reproduction, how do I know that these other females just won't come barging in and taking me by force?"

Punff's lips curled into a full smile. She clapped her hands together in joy and squeeled in delight. If one was standing behind her, they would see her tail wagging back and forth fast. “You can stay as long as it takes for you to recover completely. You won't be a bother or anything. This house is big enough for all three of us.” She smiled happily. “We'll take good care of you Jackson, don't you worry. With Lanthe's fresh milk and the delicious soups she makes, you'll be back to your old self. Oooooo, Lanthe will be so happy to hear that you'll stay and allow us to help. She's like an old maid, worrying about everything.” She giggled.

When Jackson asked about his where about, Punff just kept on smiling. “ Lanthe's late husband had built his home in an area that was only populate by our kind. The fields are wide and green and its always sunny on this part of the world. The others females, most if not all, can't stand to be out here, so they keep away. And if you're worried about them scenting you out, don't fret. You've been in this house long enough that our scent has sort of...rubbed onto you. You smell like us....”She blushed. “W-which I hope isn't a bad thing. We don't smell bad or anything. I mean...you have been using the same soap as us and everything, so if other females are near by and sniff around, they'll just assume you're like one of us.” She smiled gingerly. “Unfortunately....we're not fighters or anything. It's not in our nature, but if anything were to happen, rest assure, Lanthe and I will turn into ferocious, creatures and chase away any female that tries to take you.” Punff had curled her hand into a fist in front of her to show how serious and determined she was. It was hard at times to take her serious thanks to her demeanor and nature. “I hope that reassured you. If not...then.....well....we'll just pray that you recover fast so you can leave soon and not worry about someone else finding you.” Her smile faltered a bit. “I'm sorry we're not that much of help when it comes to protection.”

Just then Lanthe entered with a tray that held a large bowl of vegetable soup, another bowl that had some peeled orange slices and a large glass of fresh milk. “I was worried that you two were fighting, so I took the liberty of breaking up your scawble so you can eat Jackson.”

Punff puffed up her cheeks. “We weren't fighting. We were just talking.”

“Hmm? Talking? Guess you were into the conversation, you forgot all about whether or not he was hungry.” She said and moved passed Punff and stood by the bed. “Here you go. Nice, hot soup and fresh milk.” She set the tray down on his lap carefully. “ It's still hot, so be careful.”

“Lanthe, Lanthe, Jackson has allowed us to help him.” Punff cheered happily.

The holstaurus perked up at that. “Really?”

“Mmmhmm.” Punff talked about when she and Jackson had been conversation before Lanthe showed up.

Lanthe frowned a bit. “I'm sorry we're not much fighters. Its not our nature.” She repeated. “Do you have any idea on how you can get off our planet?”

Jackson just blinked at the Weresheep's odd, yet strangely adorable, reaction; no way this was an act, he thought. Her kind must really enjoy helping people or something; Lanthe was probably the same way, especially given how Punff described her as an old maid. And her giggle actually elicited a low chuckle from him; part of him scolded himself for actually feeling happy at being what he would consider a hostage, but a larger part convinced him that being wasn't the absolute worst thing in the world. And his ability to relax only increased further as she explained that Lanthe's prior husband built this house in a place that was largely inhabited by only her and Lanthe's kind. Along with the fact that he was dragged here while wearing his armor, which would have sealed in his scent, his tired mind rationalized that he was indeed safe here. For the most part, anyway; he knew there was always an element of danger wherever he went. Especially now that he was armed with the knowledge of why the Mamono were truly seeking him out in the first place. "Besides, not like I have much else of an option" he added as a mental afterthought, his eyes staring down at his lap for a moment in contemplation.

His thoughts were soon interrupted, however, as clopping noises grew progressively louder before stopping; his eyes turned from Punff to see her friend Lanthe in the threshold, carrying a meal on a tray. For him, most likely; unless she was going to be cruel and get him back for the things he said and did by eating it right in front of him. "For once she's right: We weren't squabbling" he replied plainly as the cow-lady set the tray down in front of him. As if to answer Lanthe's question, his stomach grumbled a little; food did seem like a good idea, even with how dark it was getting outside. Taking the spoon, he lifted a little bit of the steaming stew and after blowing on it a little, tilted it to let the delicious broth wash over his tongue and down his gullet. For a vegetarian, this girl could cook; her husband must have been a happy man, he thought. Or not; maybe she raped him too and only cooked for him to keep him alive. "No...She hasn't made a move on me. Yet. And neither did Puff...er, Punff...even though she could have easily in the tub" the soldier thought; little did he know of what really happened, for he seemed not all that concerned about what happened. Part of him wished he would have just drowned, another thankful that Lanthe pulled him out.

As the two then talked about what he said to Punff, Jackson just slowly ate; he didn't want to overfill himself like the first time. He knew he was lucky that he didn't get an overload from being essentially starved for so long; soldiers weren't supposed to live solely off the nutrient pills, as they were largely reserved for extended periods behind enemy lines. When Lanthe apologized that she and Punff weren't exactly the fighting sort, Jackson paused, halfway through swigging down another gulp of the creamy milk. Which was insanely good, now that he thought about it; though it could have been that he hadn't had milk or anything from Earth aside from caffeine and pre-formed supplements. Setting the glass down, he swallowed and replied, "Don't worry about it...I've lasted this long, right? Anything comes for me, I'll fight tooth and nail to make sure I win. But to answer your question...No. When we began evacuating humans off this planet, one of the first orders of business was to destroy all planetside launch stations after an area was completed. Standard microfusion implosion charges on all weak points and electronics....Sent them all crumbling down and crushing everything inside so that nothing else could get off this planet". What he didn't tell them was that in case the Mamono were starting to overwhelm an evac station...The charges were triggered, killing everyone who might have been present at that station in order to prevent them from escaping off-world.

It was a particularly somber thought, now that he reflected on it. But ever since he joined the armed forces, he was never one to kid himself. Like almost all of Delta Squad's soldiers, he was a relentless pragmatist. Giving a slight sigh, he just rubbed the back of his head and continued, "Even if some were intact...I wouldn't even begin to know where to look. I'm not exactly familiar with this area, and I'm definitely in no shape to go out looking for them without proper gear". Of course, he was referring to his armor and weapons; he still didn't know how he got removed. "But tell me..." Jackson started, looking to the two Mamono sternly, "Speaking of my stuff, did I really just up and take myself out of it?" It might seem a silly question, but he still had doubts that he would needlessly expose himself like that. "Actually, never mind...Don't answer that. Doesn't really matter at this point....Look, I realize I'm being kind of a pain in the ass. And....I..I just want to thank you two for putting up with it. But you have to understand, I've spent the better part of god knows how long running. Moving from place to place, lest I wind up like I am now. You know your own better than I do, but some of the others who found me...Well, they weren't exactly gentle. Didn't exactly make me want to sit down and learn about them".

Lanthe frowned. “I see. Unfortunately, me and my husband never ventured out much beyond the forest. Other humans tended to come by and visit and bring us a few things, but us personally, we never traveled that far. Same for Punff. We don't even know what these launch stations are.

Punff nodded. “We saw large metal birds being launched towards the sky and we figured it was simply you humans leaving. We didn't know what was happening at the time until it was too late.”

“And the last thing we would want is for you to have to leave here and not know where you need to go. There are so many other females seeking you out.” Lanthe nibbled her lip a bit. “Perhaps...if you want...we can join you. Try and offer you as much protection as possible.”

“Yes! We can protect you.....kind of.” She smiled weakly. “ We'll try and help you so you can finally get back home.” Though the thought of him having to leave weighed heavily on her hurt. She liked Jackson a lot. She didn't want him to leave, not ever. But with the way the other crazed females were, Jackson was not safe on his planet.

Moving towards him, Punff gathered the tray with his empty bowl and cup and stepped out to place them in the kitchen.

In the mean time, Lanthe was about to answer his question when it came to his belongings. Her mouth was slightly opened, ready to speak, but he decided he didn't wish to know. “Just know that they are safe.” She simply said. “And you are not a pain to us at all. If you were, you wouldn't be here at all, now would you?” She chuckled. “The way you were...in the beginning. Full of hate and distrust, it was natural. You've gone through so much. Seen so much. If it had happened to me, I would have reacted in the same manner as you. Me and Punff are glad though, that you have managed to trust us a little. We won't break that trust Jackson. We will never hurt you or take advantage of you. The last thing our kind would ever want is hate towards us.”

Punff returned, another cup filled with warm milk. She handed it to Jackson. “Here. More milk. You need it if you wish to regain your strength. It's full of essential vitamins that your body has been lacking.”

“Jackson, may I ask? Do you wish to properly know about us?” Though the humans have been on Umbre for who knows how many years, Lanthe felt as if none of the humans had taken the time to properly know the 'Mamono'. “I know a bit about certain creatures here and there. There are some I have yet to meet. Perhaps if you properly learned a bit about us, it might be of some help in order to combat them or even defend yourself from them.”

“Oh! Good idea Lanthe. Here. We'll start with us. As a Weresheep, I'm-”

“-I think if would be best he learned about the not to kind ones, like the Lamias and Werens.”

Punff pouted and sat on the nearest chair. “Why would he want to learn about those vicious vixens first?” She whispered while still pouting.

Jackson just listened as Lanthe explained that despite her time living here, she had no idea where the launch stations were; even though the soldier had figured as much, to hear it expressed so explicitly was disheartening. Though the comment of how the evacuation shuttles being 'large metal birds' did serve to make him smile a bit; these two had next to no knowledge of human technology, it seemed. She was right in that they were called 'birds'; though he doubted she understood the difference of the colloquial use and the literal definition.

His head then turned to look out the window, seeing the oranges and yellows in the sky start to darken; there was still plenty of ambient light, and with it he could see that the forest stretched for miles. No evidence of a settlement anywhere nearby, at least not from this angle; maybe tomorrow he could try to see if there was anything in the other directions from this house. Letting Punff take the tray from him, his solemn expression returned as he focused once more on Lanthe. Honestly, he still didn't really trust them; however, his current situation didn't really warrant much choice. Despite the strength he felt, he knew his body still fairly fucked up.

"Not that I like it all that much, but staying here is the best option for now" he mused; plus, there was all that stuff about 'hiding in plain sight' as they called it. What better place to hide than in the company of the enemy? His thoughts were interrupted when Punff returned with another cup of milk. "Thanks" he replied; he was feeling a tad thirsty. Tipping back the wooden holder, he let the creamy liquid slide down his throat and flood his gut with a gentle warmth. Wherever this milk came from, it was damned good. Better than anything he had back on Earth. Little did the human realize where it came from.

Setting the cup down in his blanket-covered lap, he then watched as Punff and Lanthe tried to offer him the chance to learn more about the different species. His resistance still remained, evident in the way his gaze hardened at the two of them, but nothing was said for a short while. Finally his mouth opened to speak, "Look, I get that you two are obviously different from the others. So far, you haven't tried to rape me. Well...Punff there threatened to, but she just ran out so that's a non-issue. As far as I'm concerned, that's good enough for me. Besides, with how I am now...It's not like I can get very far, even with my gear. And as long as this type of peace agreement persists, I think I'll be fine staying here until I recover".

Admittedly, knowing more about his enemy - ironically from one of them - was an attractive prospect; if he was going to scour the planet looking for a way off, it would behoove him to learn as much as possible. But with the sun finally dipping below the horizon and plunging the world into an increasing dark, he just said "Maybe later I'll take you two up on your offer, but I think I should get some sleep for now". His hand came up to rub at his eye, showing the two of them that he was about ready to conk out for the night.

Punff blushed when he mentioned about her threatening to rape him. “I...really wasn't...” She shut her mouth and did a pout thing with her lip. She wouldn't have done it. She wasn't much of a rapist. Hell, even if she were given the chance, she wouldn't even know how to begin the rape. Did one start with kissing?

Lanthe looked at Punff, frowning to hear that Punff threatened him in such a manner. Sighing, she looked at Jackson. “The peace between us will stand firm. You don't have to worry about that.” She stood up and grabbed the cup from his hands. Seeing him tired had her reacting almost like a mother in a way. “Come on then. Best that you get some more sleep. Even though you've healed well and you have a bit more strength, you still need to sleep.” She itched to tuck him in, but she got the feeling he wouldn't allow that.

Getting to her feet as well, Punff looked at Jackson. She was going to offer to help him sleep, but saw Lanthe shaking her head. “If you need anything, just call out for us. We'll be near by.” She waved to him as she walked towards the doorway. “Have a good night Jackson.” Punff lingered for a moment before finally being shooed out by Lanthe.

“Please do call us for anything. If you get hungry or thirsty, just let me know, okay?” Lingering a bit herself, she gave him a once over, making sure he was okay and finally forced herself to turn away and leave. Heading to the small kitchen, Lanthe made herself busy by washing his cup.

“We're almost out of milk.” Punff mentioned as she looked inside the little, old school looking fridge Lanthe's late husband had brought. These types of fridges were outdated from what he said.

“We'll deal with that tomorrow. Now come on. We should sleep ourselves.” Drying the cup, she set it down and grabbed for Punff.”

“Maybe I should-”

“-No. Sleep. Lets go.”

The next morning, Lanthe and Punff were in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Lanthe and roused Punff early in order to get help in being milked. Lanthe had wondered how Jackson would feel if he find out that the milk he's been drinking was coming from her. He shouldn't complain that much since if was her milk that was providing all the nutrients he was lacking.

“Maybe I should check if-”

“You went to check five minutes ago. Let him sleep.”

“But what if-”

“If you're done with the carrots, chop the potatoes.”

Punff frowned as she continued to chop at the unfinished cut carrots.

Jackson just nodded weakly as the two of them took their leave; even still, as he tried to lay down and sleep he just couldn't. Why? He was dead tired; his eyes closed of their own damned volition too, so why couldn't he sleep?! "Maybe I'm still paranoid...Still, something's not right" he mused, still unaware of how Punff had assaulted him in the bathtub. Even though his mind was trying to warn him about what happened, the effect of the Weresheep's wool combined with the exhaustion he'd had at the time blanked the majority of his memory of that timespan.

After about ten to fifteen minutes of trying to fall asleep, he tried to just void all thought; his mind was too cluttered from everything. First he'd been on the run for god knows how long, and now he was being treated - in his mind - like royalty. They fed, bed and (apparently) washed him...All without even asking. It was mindboggling. No, just relax, he told himself; finally he felt himself start to slip and didn't bother to stop it. Soon, he felt himself slide into the land of dreams....Where Earth was for him. Back with his family, his friends, and Kayla most of all. It was a glorious dream; they were all at the beach. Glad that he was back from that hellhole; and judging by how he and Kayla were kissing each other, they had made up. He saw his little brother again....His squadmates were there too. It was something he wished he could stay in forever.

However, as with all good things...An end must eventually come. Jackson's eyes slowly opened to see the few rays of light peak over the horizon; hot fuck I was out for a while, he thought to himself. How long had he been sleeping? Longer than eight hours, if the difference between the sun cycles here and on Earth were any indicator. Little did he realize that the golden-fleeced Weresheep had visited him several times to see if he was alright.

"Earth...." he muttered, letting his head rest against the pillow and stare up at the ceiling; did anyone even miss him? Kayla probably hated him, even if the farewell he'd asked his squad to give her had been heard. Their last conversation wasn't on a happy note; on top of that, per standard protocol, his name would be stricken from the record after a standard honor ceremony. No names would be given, only that soldiers had been lost. However, he'd seen a few soldiers identify lost souls by name when they took the podium to speak; while not expressly forbidden, he knew the brass was never happy when someone did as such. For obvious reasons.

Still, he couldn't help but wonder what was happening back home...Knowing he was still stuck here with no means to make contact for the foreseeable future; all he wanted was just to reach them. But maybe it was better if they thought he was gone…Even if he could make contact, he didn’t know for sure if there was a way off this planet. No…Better to just move on and take care of it himself.

*Location: Sol System, Earth. Date: Friday, September 19, 3648. UNSC Memorial Grounds. Honor Ceremony for Jackson Whitelock*

The grand ceremony for all the soldiers and civilians lost was fairly spectacular; for once, the brass seemed to realize the gravity of its error. And after exerting tremendous pressure and many phone calls, the Generals of the UNSC even seemed to get the colonization agencies to chip in for the expenses; after all, it was technically their fault they had to send so many soldiers there in the first place. In any case, all squads were deemed to be available for funeral detail if the families requested a service. Of course, that meant jumping through another set of hoops, as details had to be assigned and arrangements made; but this was something he deserved. Something every soldier deserved.

Today was such a day; the only shame was that there was no body to bury, as was the case for many of the soldiers’ individual funerals. A tent stood over a six-foot hole in the earth, the place where Jackson’s coffin would be set forever to rest; a grey cinder headstone reading “Jackson B. Whitelock. Delta Force, Hunter Squad – 1st Lieutenant. Born April 20, 3624. Died August 10, 3648” sat at one end, forever cementing that he was well and truly gone. Soon, he would join his other brothers and sisters-in-arms in whatever lay beyond. The green, freshly-manicured grounds were incredibly silent and barren, save for some families who came to wordlessly visit the fallen themselves; wind gently caressed the memorials, causing the flags flying overheard to whip with little ‘pop’ noises and the sound of the fabric rippling in the breeze.

Black chairs arranged in multiple rows of eight with the aisle coming between the fourth and fifth seats; in them were the families and loved ones of Damon Richards, Dmitri Bolsov, Adam Kinsey and David Williams. Jackson’s own family stood at the front, his father Johnathon Ray Whitelock having his arms around his family. The former Captain of Delta Force Echo Squad, the six-foot-six, brown-haired man was sidelined late into his career when a rocket from insurgent forces shredded both of his legs on a rescue op as he was guarding an evac chopper, forcing him to undergo bionic surgery after and effectively earning him an honorable discharge from Delta Force. Even though the surgery granted him movement…He couldn’t keep serving. And now his son couldn’t either; this was so damned wrong. He should have been dead before his son…No parent should have to go through this.

Jackson’s funeral detail stood at the ready in their dress uniforms, watching with solemn faces as the back door of a vehicle in the shape of the old-world hearse opened. His squad members, being assigned to be their comrade’s funeral detail, both anticipated and dreaded this day; to have to bury a comrade like this, it was insane. Of all of Hunter Squad, no one expected their Squad Captain and their First Lieutenant to be the ones to go. Even worse was that they couldn’t even bury his body; it seemed…insulting almost.

When the conveyor inside the hover-hearse rolled the coffin out, the flag of the United Nations of Earth covering its lid, the four squad members took their positions and grasped the side rails. “Company…Take hold” commanded an elderly-looking gentleman in full UNSC stripes and tan dress attire; this was General Graves, one of the more respectable members of the brass. His face showed no emotion, only a cold hardness prospective of one who’d seen a lot of shit he’d like to forget; snow-white hair lay hidden beneath his cap, decorated with Earth as its symbol. “Company….Forward” Graves added; lifting the coffin from the conveyor, they marched towards a bronze-clad platform and stopped yet still marched in place. “Company…Halt” said the General; Hunter Squad stilled their legs and lowered the coffin onto the platform, then marched away for the gun salute. At this the members in attendance were then ushered to seats beneath the portable tent to block them from the harsh sun; naturally, Jackson’s family was seated at the very front, with others following suit behind them. His own father sat in the aisle, directly in front of his son’s empty coffin.

Another unknown officer then commanded as they stood by their weapons, “Company…Take arms”. Weapons were picked up. “Company…Aim” Weapons were shouldered and raised to the sky, their alignment perfect despite the sadness weighing on their hearts. “Fire!” Shots rang out, the echo of muzzle blast loud in the dead-silent environment. “Fire!”, followed by a pause, then again “Fire!” A final volley rang out, the report slowly fading to the wind. And as if to preserve a tradition that withstood the test of time, a younger soldier in dress uniform started to play Taps on a rather impressively-maintained set of bagpipes, the chanter and drone polished to near-perfection. That old familiar song that brought a tear to even the most hardened soldier’s eyes. That song that definitively stated “This soldier is dead…God rest his soul” and that song which in its own way helped families find closure. One might think it odd to have such an old instrument survive this long…But certain traditions were simply not allowed to be another of history’s victims.

As the song played, the detail then began the work of folding the flag; the low hum of the drone seemed to add a certain weight to the whole thing, as many could be seen wiping away the tears that threatened to stain the dark clothing they wore. As the final corner was tucked into the triangle and the edges smoothed, the song ended; Williams, now the flag-bearer then turned and presented the flag to the father. Stepping back, he then saluted and said, “On behalf of the UNSC and the Delta Force regiment, we thank your son for his unlimited bravery in the face of battle”. Next came Damon Richards, who placed a wooden plaque with several medals on the flag then joined his comrade in saluting, “For his valorous defense in the face of overwhelming odds, the UNSC awards First Lieutenant Whitelock with the United Nations of Earth Medal of Honor. For his unrelenting courage, he is also awarded the Meritorious Combat Medal and the Chancellor’s Citation for Exceptional Service”. Only when his father returned the salute did they lower their arms and return to the coffin.

General Graves then stood in front of the soldiers facing them and giving a crisp salute,“Gentlemen, your duty is complete. You may now joined your loved ones for the eulogy requested by the family”. Returning the gesture, the four soldiers then went to sit next to their loved ones; Bolsov himself sat next to his beloved. Even though he would not overly express his sentiments and make things potentially sour, his hand soon found its way to his girlfriend’s and squeezed. The rest of the squad joined their families…It was now time for any who wished to speak on Jackson’s behalf to do so.

A few hours before the ceremony started, Kayla had sat in a guest room provided by Jackson's family. His mother had insisted that she stay with them during the week while Jackson's funeral was being prepared.

Though she and Jackson tended to be on and off in their relantionship and tended to have some nasty fights, his mother, God bless her loving soul, loved her no matter what. Mother's knew best and Jackson's mother, Elizabeth, knew that Kayla was and will always be the perfect woman for Jackson. No other woman would have been able to put up with Jackson. Kayla had a set of balls almost equal to Jackson's, that's why Elizabeth always had visions of seeing Jackson marry Kayla. Well....that wasn't going to happen anymore.

Staring at the crisp, black dress that hung on the closet door, Kayla felt a hollow ache in her chest. She didn't want to put that on. She dreaded buying it. Kayla still found it hard to believe that he was gone. She didn't want to except it. This funeral was basically the cherry on the cake. This ceremony meant that it was official. Jackson was officially gone.

Kayla was rather glad her Commander had given her a week of being off duty. He saw the pain and how out of sorts she was from having to lose Jackson.

She didn't want to put that dress on. Pulling her bathrobe tighter around her, Kayla brought her feet up and rocked back and forth as she let tears stream down her cheeks once more. “You bastard. I told you...not to go...” She sobbed. She didn't even hear the knock on the door until Elizabeth poked her head in.

“Oh sweety.” Closing the door behind her, Elizabeth wrapped her arms around Kayla and rubbed her back.

“Why? Why did it have to be him? I told him not to go. If it weren't for those fucking bastards, he...he would...-”

“I know. I know.”Elizabeth consoled, feeling the sting of tears as they collected and threatened to fall.

It took a lot of consoling, tissues and strong persuasion to finally get ready and leave. The minute Kayla had the dress on, she wanted to rip it off and burn it.

Now, standing with Jackson's family, Kayla stood their waiting, holding a framed picture of Jackson. Her eyes were focused on nothing, but that hole that was made in the ground. The hole where his casket would be lowered. A casket that didn't even had a body.

The ceremony commenced and all stood quiet as Jackson's casket was brought forward thanks to his Squad mates. She forced herself to look, her eyes being forced to look at their faces and not that casket. She saw it in their eyes. The pain and sadness of having to lose a great friend. Jackson will always be a friend first and for most no matter what. With the beautiful bagpipe coming to an end, the ceremony continued. Kayla had jumped a bit when the first gun fire erupted. Her body wouldn't have reacted in such a manner, but through out this whole entire week, she hadn't been herself.

With the flag presented to Johnathon, all sat and silence fell. Kayla clutched the picture of Jackson to her chest tightly, almost threatening to break the glass. His mother placed a gentle hand on her arm to relax her, but she couldn't. She wanted to go up to that podium and point a finger to all the sons of bitches that caused this. That caused all those brave men and woman to die all because how stupid their ideas and decisions were.

That thought ran through her mind until a little voice of clarity spoke up. She shouldn't. She shouldn't cause such a scene, especially on such a ceremonial moments. Everyone was here to remember Jackson and to accept that he was gone. Why should she go up and ruin this moment for them? Jackson wouldn't want that, especially from her.

Swallowing down a nervous lump that formed in her throat, Kayla forced herself onto her feet, legs shaking as they carried her weight. Moving towards the small table where pictures of Jackson were placed, she put her's among them. He was smiling into the camera, his eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses and his hair tossled after coming out of the pool. This was taken last year when they hung out at his parents house for a BBQ.

Moving towards the podium, Kayla looked down as she took a moment to collect herself. She kept swallowing down the nervous lump, her chest tightening each time she was ready to speak. Hands clenching on the podium, Kayla forced herself to speak. “I....I would like...to thank you all for being here on this day in remembering an amazing and well loved man. Jackson-” she swallowed as tears stung her eyes. “- Jackson....was...a...brave and thoughtful guy. If you....if you...ever needed...help with something, he would be the first to offer himself. He was...a-an amazing son as well. He loved his family deep down and always thought of them first. He...he was...also...a...a great friend as well. Those...those that knew him long knew that when you became his friend, you became his family as well. He was taken from us too early. If....if...he were given the chance.....if...if he were still alive....he...he would have....made...a great husband.....a-and...and I'm sure...he would have been an...an amazing father..” Kayla couldn't control her emotions now. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she found it hard to speak. “H-he'll...never...be..forgotten. H-h-he lives....inside us.....in....in the memories...that we have of him....in...in our..hearts...f-for...for he...he has.....” At that moment, Johnathon came up to hug her as her body.shook with held in sobs.

Tears streamed down John's cheeks as he guided Kayla away from the podium and to her seat where he continued to hug her. He may be in uniform and he was suppose to keep his barring as best he could, John just didn't give a damn, not now. Here was the woman whom his son had loved so much and she said the words that chances are, everyone else was thinking about. His wife was crying herself and reached over to hug Kayla as well.

John simply held them both. Who was he to keep them from expressing their sorrow and grief to the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back with Jackson and his caretakers, Punff poked her head in to see if Jackson was awake or not. She had to do this while Lanthe was outside getting some cabbage. Smiling when she saw him awake, she called out to him, though still kept herself where she was behind the wall, her head the only thing visible between the door frame. “Psstt....Jackson!” she waved her hand to get his attention.

“Are you fully awake? How do you feel?” Punff looked over her shoulder to make sure Lanthe hadn't come back in yet.

Johnathon could hardly hold himself from crying, clutching his wife and Jackson’s girlfriend as grief washed over anew; he knew it wasn’t wrong, but in this day and age men were not supposed to be seen as cries. To hell with those social norms today, he thought; he’d lost his son. Lost his boy fighting a godforsaken war that should have never happened. That was a damned good reason to cry, and he’d gladly tell anyone who thought differently to fuck off.

But, as Kayla was escorted from the podium, another speaker stood to honor a fallen friend: Adam Kinsey, greenhorn to Delta Force and Lance Corporal of Hunter Squad. For a moment, he stood trying to wipe some of the tears that threatened to escape, but then got himself together. “What Kayla had said…Matches Jackson to a T. One of the greatest traits he possessed was his loyalty. I remember when I was first assigned to Delta Force. I got teased a lot because of my size…Standard hazing. Trying to build me a thicker skin, they called it. But Jackson, for whatever reason, found a group of them while they were pushing me around.” Kinsey had to pause for a moment because he oddly felt like smiling and nearly laughed, but composed himself and resumed, “But that stopped real quick. All he said was ‘What’s going on, tough guys? This the best you can do?’ All three of them tried to attack him; by the end of it all, he was the only one left standing. Beaten to hell and back, but standing. And with the goofiest looking grin on his face. I just stared and all he said to me was, ‘Well, that was fun. Come on, little guy. Let’s grab some chow.’

“I don’t know why he said that; to this day, he never did really tell me why he stuck up for me, no matter why I asked him. It drove me crazy, but I think it was because it was his way of mentally toughening me. Maybe he was trying to tell me that there’s some things you’ll never know in life. Or maybe he just liked screwing with me. Or both…I’ll never know.” Giving a sigh, he concluded with “All I know for certain is that I viewed Jackson like a big brother. He helped me get to where I am, and never let me doubt myself. Having been an only child and both my parents having left me at a young age, I greatly appreciated everything Jackson did for me. Everything that helped me learn not just what it meant to be a soldier, but to have family. But most of all, I was glad to just be his friend if nothing else.” Looking down at the coffin, he placed a hand on it and said solemnly, “Rest well, bro. You earned it.”

Another round of applause sounded as Kinsey stepped down and with that, the minister for the ceremony spoke, “Is there anyone else who would like to speak?”

As the morning came, the young yet rugged soldier stirred in his bed while the first rays of the sun gleamed through the immaculate window. "Damn sun...." he groaned out, trying to hide his face for but a few more moments. Having been able to finally rest for more than an hour was starting to make him relearn the awesome benefits of sleep, and while part of him loved it, part of him hated too. But that was only because sleeping any longer than an hour would have meant - in his previous view - death.

Sitting up, he stretched out his arms and let out a groan; god, he felt good. Better than he had in years. Giving his head a shake, his eyelids slowly opened to reveal a blue coloration that seemed more vibrant, full of life. Unaware of what was transpiring on Earth, and the inherent irony associated with it.

“Psstt....Jackson!”

His ears perked up at the whisper - however much human ears could perk up, anyway - and his head turned to see Punff with her head peeking in the doorway. "Oh, hi Punff" he then said flatly, a good chunk of the edge taken out of his voice. It seemed the sleeping he was doing also helped his mood; then again, years with almost no sleep would play hell on anyone.

"Why are you whispering?" he then asked, perturbed by the sheep's unusual behavior; though he still hadn't really figured either of them out, so maybe her acting like this was normal. "Does your friend not want you talking to me or something?" was Jackson's query, rolling his shoulders as he waited for Punff's reply.

Elizabeth dabbed her eyes, trying to still the tears that rushed down her cheeks. These people that spoke well of her son touched her deeply. The moment she met them, she knew that they would be a part of the family forever and always no matter what.

When the Minister of Ceremony came up to the podium and asked if anyone else had any words to say, Elizabeth wasn't sure or why she decided to speak herself. She simply pushed away from her husband and slowly rose from her seat. She was helped up to the podium, her hand clutching her kerchief dabbed at her eyes again. “Knowing....that my son has so many people that love him, brings such joy to my heart. He was the greatest joy in my life. The day he was born, when I held him in my arms, was the day I knew, he would do great things.” Her throat tightened. “I never imagined.....t-that my baby would be taken from me so early. I always thought......I felt....that it would be I that my son would be burying first, not the other way around.” Her hands clenched on top of the podium. “He was taken away from me. Taken too early....a-all because.....y-you people wouldn't listen..He and every other brave soul were taken...unfairly, because you-” She turned towards the Generals and Commanders and higher ups, “-you couldn't keep your damn hands to yourselves.”

Everyone gasped at her words and her boldness for talking to the leaders in such a way. “You bastards took him from me. He didn't deserve to die. Not for you. For what? To colonize a planet? You monsters sent them to their deaths.”

Kayla quickly got to her feet and rushed to Elizabeth, grabbing her to take her away from the podium. “Eli, it's okay. It's-”

“No! It's not. They took him from me. You monsters. You damn bastards took my baby away.” Elizabeth started to sob angrily as she fought against Kayla's hold, wanting to tell all those military leaders of their crimes. “ It's should have been you. All of you should be in the ground, not my precious little boy.”

Thankfully, Johnathon was quick as well, helping Kayla in taking his wife away. As they both escorted Elizabeth away, she kept yelling, expressing her anger. “You'll pay. All of you. God will see to it. Do you bastards hear me. You'll pay for taking my precious boy from me.”

As Kayla, Elizabeth and Johnathon left, everyone murmured amongst each other, some agreeing with what she said, others murmuring she was just taking Jackson's death too hard and she was just letting her grief out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Punff nodded her head. “Lanthe doesn't want me to disturb you. I just wanted to see if you were awake and needed anything.” She glanced back over her shoulder to see if Lanthe was back.

Looking back, she saw him look more relaxed, not as much, but more than how he had been in the beginning when he was first with them. “There's fresh milk if you want some. The vegetable soup will be ready in a bit.” She whispered so he could hear. It technically might be more than a bit since she still hadn't started on the potatoes.

“Want me to get you anything?”

"Disturb me? I'm awake, right?" he then replied; of course, he knew what the woman was referring to. Based on his interactions with them, Lanthe seemed to be the overly cautious and motherly one, while Punff was the overly affectionate and playful sisterly one. It was still all so new to him, but he could feel himself starting to settle in. Which of course preceded a little bit of restlessness, especially given how long he'd been in this bed.

"Soup sounds good...But if you don't mind, I think I'd like to get out of this bed for a bit. Stretch my legs...Don't get me wrong, it's comfortable as all hell. I just don't want my body to atrophy from lack of use." he said, pushing the covers off of himself. His body was still underweight from how he used to be, but now he could see that he couldn't count his ribs anymore. And his body felt...just better overall. Still fatigued, but once the blood got moving, he was sure it would go away.

He then gently pushed himself off, using the mattress as a sort of crutch. "The stairs have rails, right? I think I'm going to be using those for quite a while until my body gets used to moving again." He didn't know how long he'd been in that bed, but it felt like an eternity. He tried to stand up, only to feel his knees buckle a little; he could still stand. Placing a hand to his temple, he muttered "Whoa...Got light-headed there for a minute. Don't worry, I'm alright."

Finally able to stand up, he realized that he was still buck naked, his 'endowment' hanging out for all to see. "Sorry, Punff...But is there any chance for some spare clothes?" He then asked, a small grin on his face as he turned around. As much as he had begun to trust these two....Well, Punff and Lanthe had explained why he was being sought out. And he didn't want there to be any temptation that might be there.

Punff watched as he slowly got himself off his bed. She started to freak out. If Lanthe saw him, she would surely freak out and no doubt rub Punff on him to get him to go to sleep again. Punff would feel bad though. She feels bad now. He has been stuck in bed and the longer he stays on that bad, the more useless his body would be. His wouldn't be able to support him

Watching as he rose, Punff almost went to him when he almost lost his balance. Nibbling her lip, she stayed in place. She couldn't help him, not without making him drowsy. “Just...just take it easy alright. Hold on to the night stand. If you fall and get hurt, Lanthe is going to kill me, especially since I'm letting you get out of bed.” Looking over her shoulder, she was thankful that Lanthe hadn't returned.

“Let your body get used to your weight Jackson. Umm..uhh...” She recalled Lanthe's husband had a cane for walking. He had injured his ankle one time and had used it to help him. “Wait, I think Lanthe has something that can help.” Rushing back down the stairs, she went towards the utility closet in the kitchen and began rummaging through. “Where is it?”

“Where's what Punff?” Called Lanthe from behind her.

Standing straight in surprise, Punff slowly looked over her shoulder. “O-Ohh...u-uhh...I was....just looking...for...uhh...well...y-your...late husbands...cane..”

Quirking a brow, Lanthe looked at the sheep. “Why would you need-” It hit Lanthe instantly. “Jackson! But he can-”

“It isn't right to keep him in bed Lanthe. His body won't be able to function better.”

“But he can-”

“Lanthe, please. Imagine being stuck in bed every day and night."

Lanthe was worried that Jackson would hurt himself. She didn't want that, but then again, it wasn't right to keep him in bed either. Sighing, she relented. “Alright. The cane is tucked in the corner.”

Cheering happily, Punff found it and rushed up to Jackson. Stepping in, she stopped a few ways from him and extended the cane to him, making sure not to be too near him. “Here. Use this Jackson. I'm sure this will help a lot. Lanthe has the soup ready and the milk is nice and warm.”

Jackson heeded Punff's advice and supported himself against the nightstand; it didn't seem like he needed to put too much weight on the piece of furniture, but still it was better to have a crutch than anything else. It was here his observation about the two of them was very much confirmed, especially given the sheep woman's statement about Lanthe's reaction.

Even still, despite whatever it was they'd been feeding him - soup and milk, apparently, but he was certain there was more to it than that - he needed to move around some. Even if it was just up and down the stairs, or some light calisthenics, exercise he knew would do wonders for him. But he wouldn't go too hard, and he wasn't about to go outside.

When she left, he thought she was going to get him something to wear; however, she soon returned holding a cane. Well, that would help with one thing at least...But he was still naked as a jaybird.

"Alright...Well, that certainly helps with the walking. Appreciate it, Punff." he replied, taking it and testing his own weight on it. He was no expert, but he could tell this thing was very sturdy and would do the job just fine.

"Now...About my current wardrobe...Or lack thereof, haha." Jackson added with a chuckle, before asking "I know you and Lanthe offered me some clothes earlier. Any chance that offer is still good to go?" He then gave her a light smile, showing that he was appreciative of the two of them doing this for him. Maybe being here wouldn't be so bad after all, he thought. Maybe they're not all as crazy as he once thought.

She had been concerned about his well being, Punff had forgotten that he was nude still. She looked down his body, then back up quickly, blushing. “Err....s-sorry..I....uhh..y-yes. Yes, there's still clothes.” She rushed to the small chest tucked in the corner of the room and opened it, pulling out a shirt and some pants that Lanthe kept there. With Jackson's current physic, the clothes would fit him well.

“Oh, stupid, stupid me. I should have given you clothes first, but seeing you almost fall. Ooooh, Lanthe would surely kill me for not taking care of you better.” Closing the chest, she went over to him, then stopped. Extending her arm with the clothes in her hand, she smiled as she offered him the garments. “Umm...I can help, I just...well...we just need to make sure you don't rub into me. The clothes didn't rub against my wool, so you'll be fine. Here, let me help you befor-”

“You will do no such thing Punff.” Lanthe appeared, hands placed firmly on her hips.

“I-It's not what you think. I wasn't trying to-”

“Come, come. Go and get the soup ready for Jackson.”

“But.....but I wanna help him.” She puffed her cheeks.

You are, by getting the soup ready for when he gets down to the kitchen. Now go.” Pushing Punff out the door, Lanthe sighed and turned around, but looked away when she saw Jackson still naked. “It seems she got you the cane before seeing to you being dressed. I'm sorry. Her priorities tend to change.” Still not looking, Lanthe blushed as she nibbled her lip a bit. “ Do you need assistance with anything?”

Jackson just snickered as she let her eyes wander; truthfully, has this been their first meeting, he would have chewed her out for looking him over like that. But it seemed he had softened considerably during his time here, though maybe it was the fact that these two had provided him a safe haven and a chance to actually relax for a change.

And he just smiled more as she chastised herself; she was really too cute for her own good, he mused to himself. He knew she was trying to make sure he was alright, and it didn't bother him that she'd forgotten the clothes. He took them into his arms, feeling the lightness and smoothness of the fabric. "No worries, Punff. I can just lean against the wall and cha..." he replied, only to have Lanthe come in and push her out.

At this, he frowned a little; it wasn't like she was trying to undress him or anything, it was the opposite. "It's not her fault; she just didn't want me falling on my face. Something I'm grateful for." he said to her, also grateful that she was preserving his modesty by averting her gaze.

"No....I think I should be alright. That might change when we get to the stairs though" he then replied to her offer as he hobbled over, putting more weight on the cane as he went to the next wall. Placing his back against it, he put his head through the neck of the shirt but didn't bother with the sleeves yet. Then came the pants; they were brown and simple, with a strap of cloth through the belt-loops serving as a fastener. He fumbled with it, having some difficulty bending over which was made evident by his grunts of exertion, but he was determined to be able to dress himself.

And eventually he succeeded, getting both legs on and pulling them up to his waist before tying the cloth to keep them secure. He then put his arms through the sleeves and let gravity take the rest of it down. With his current body, the clothes hung loosely but not so loosely that they looked baggy; once his musculature started coming back, he would fill in the rest of the way. "Well, that was an adventure, heh" the young man stated, slightly out of breath. Grabbing his cane, he slowly and deliberately made his way out of the bedroom.

The stairs themselves were not actually that long; however, for Jackson, they seemed a lot more treacherous. Maybe it was because he'd never really used a cane before and was still getting used to it. "Uh...Lanthe? I think I might need your help after all...Hope that's alright." he asked the cow woman.

Lanthe heard him shuffling about, huffing as he tried to get himself dressed. There were a few times when she wanted to see how he was doing or needed help with anything, but she kept herself where she was, looking away to give him his privacy. When he was finished, she heard the cane thumping against the floor hard, the wood creaking as he placed his weight on the cane.

Looking up, she watched as he slowly moved towards the door way and stepped out, Lanthe following right behind him. When he reached the stairs, she was right there by his side. “We're going slow, alright.” There wasn't many steps. Ten steps only, but no doubt for Jackson it would feel as it there was a hundred. She recalled when he late husband had been sick and he had to climb the stairs one time. He was sweating and shaking, cursing that it felt as it there was more than just those ten steps.

Placing her hand gently around his waist, she helped him descend the stairs. “Easy now. Take your time. No need to rush alright.”

On the bottom, Punff was holding a pillow out.

“Punff, what is that for?” Asked Lanthe.

“Just in case he falls. I figured it would be good to have him fall on something soft.”

“You know he'll fall on you too.” She said as she helped Jackson down another step.

Punff thought about it for a moment before answering. “Well...at least my wool is soft as well.

She wanted to say something, but Lanthe didn't have the heart. Punff was only being helpful.

When they finally made it to the last step, Lanthe waited for Jackson to get his bearing. “You alright?”

Punff looked up at him for a moment, then raised the pillow. “If you need to fall, I'll catch you.”

Sighing, Lanthe shook her head. "Just pull the chair for him so he can sit."

Punff waited for a momet, then rushed away real quick to pull the chair from under the table, then rushed back to Jackson, holding the pillow. "Alright Jackson...just..carefully...come this way." She walked backwards, pillow still held up for his sake.

Jackson nodded as Lanthe went to hold him; it was at this point he could feel just how 'endowed' she was in her chest area. Her breasts, restrained by that tight shirt she wore, had to be enormous. And when she wrapped her arms around his waist, he felt her press against him as she then led him down the stairs, the mounds flattening slightly against his body as he used her for another support. It was...oddly comforting to say the least

Of course, he wasn't expecting what happened next: Punff stood holding a pillow out in front of her, looking quite cute and innocent, despite the obvious pitfall. Jackson just snickered quietly, thinking exactly what Lanthe had pointed out was wrong. But her response made him smile even more; seemed she really was too cute for her own good.

They finally reached the bottom of the stairs; he counted each one. Ten steps, that's all it was. Felt like it never ended though. "God, I hope I can recover faster, because this is annoying as fuck. Though I wouldn't mind Lanthe pressing against me like that in the future" he mused mentally, his thoughts turning perverse for a split second. He caught himself though; there was no way he could do anything with them. Nor did he want to. He was just staying here until he was well enough to move on his own. Then it was back to finding any way off this rock he could muster.

"Yeah, I'm fine...Never thought going ten steps down would be so hard. Thanks, you two." Jackson replied, huffing from the surprising effort it took to do what was once so simple a task. He then made his way over to the table and sat down, resting the cane on the edge. "Thanks, Punff...Guess you didn't have to worry about me falling on you, eh?" he smiled at the sheep woman, relaxing now that he wasn't exerting himself as much.

Three bowls of soup were on the table, along with glasses of water and a small bowl of sliced fresh bread. Seeing all of this, along with everything they had done for him...He was beginning to realize he had been a jerk for no real reason. Even with his past experiences, he was raised better than this. He remembered his father telling him a rather odd expression, but fitting:

"People are like a deck of cards, Jackson. The differences might be small but they're there. The Queen of Spades is not the Queen of Hearts, you know. Remember that."

Clearing his throat a little, he then asked, "Shall we eat?" before digging into his own soup.

Punff couldn't help, but smile. “I'm glad you made it without falling.” As he settled himself on the chair, Punff looked at him, then at the pillow. Nodding, she placed the pillow on the floor to his right, then went around and sat on the chair to his left.

“Punff, why did you put the pillow on the floor?” Asked Lanthe as she laid out cloth napkins for them.

“Just in case he falls on his side. He can land on the pillow and with me on this side, I can catch him.”

The girl had such a heart, though unfortunately, she wasn't able to see that the pillow would be of no use in breaking his fall. Not wishing to break her heart, Lanthe simply nodded and sat down to Jackson's right. At least she would be able to catch Jackson in case he tilted to her side.
“Please dig in. Let me know if you require anything Jackson. And don't be afraid to ask for seconds or thirds.”

Punff didn't wait any longer. She scooped and giant piece of potato and popped it into her mouth, a tiny little baahh of joy leaving her lips, her little tail flickering to show how much she loved the soup. “This is so good. You're the best cook ever Lanthe.”

“You've been eating my soup for years Punff. There is nothing different.”

“I know, but it doesn't matter how many times I eat it, it's always so delicious.” Sipping some of the broth, Punff looked over to Jackson. “Does your planet have soup like this, Jackson? Or do they mostly eat meat?”

“Don't tire him with too many questions Punff.”

“I won't.” Taking a slice of bread, she ripped off a little piece and popped it into her mouth. “Does your planet look like ours?” She was a curious little thing. Ever since they had brought Jackson home, Punff had been itching to ask him questions about where he was from and what his planet was like and what not.

Back
Top Bottom