Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Who doesn't like books? Really?

Who would you want to take over the world? Each vote is +10 cool points.

• Gambit

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Shikamaru

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Mr Master

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Battleship44

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
Well, this started by a tiny argument in Random info, yet it sparked the idea for this thread. I honestly though people would have posted this already, but I suppose not.
SO, I’ll just go ahead.

I know you all, at one point of time, read some type of book. So the purpose of this thread is to have you share with us what your favorite book, comic book, fictional characters, anything related to the topic that you favorite or find interesting, the more the better.

I’ll even start:
Favourite book has to be “The queen of the Damned” By Ann Rice, I just love all Ann rice books in general, the gothic/religious themes appeal to me.

Comic book character? You all know you love comics, or have read one at some point.
I always like the Flash though, I have a thing for super speed…>//>.

Narwhal>ALL

So MM has my vote =P

ANYWAY

Favorite book of alll time? Hurrr!

That's a hard one - mainly because I reread a majority of my books because I enjoy them so much! D:

SO I'll just put in my top 4 ya? In no specific order mind you.

1. Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith - Yes this is more of an Adolescent book. BUT THE PLOT I find intriguing :3
2. Archangel by Sharon Shinn - A REALLY Interesting Religious/Sci-Fi twist. :3
3. Dark Need's at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole - My Current guilty pleasure *purrr*
4. The Black Jewel's Trilogy by Anne Bishop - THIS Series got me back into writing again :)

There should be a fourth option: Shikawho?
Also, if it's a matter of running the world, which I should have read closer, I wanna switch my vote to Gambit, just to see what he'd do with the wimminz.

My favorite book is actually a tie between two: Three Kingdoms and Robin Hood

If you're a fan of the Dynasty Warriors video games then you know of the Three Kingdoms story, a semi-historical tale of a hundred year period in China's history, spanning the fall of the Han empire and subsequent chaos from 180ad to 280ad, I believe. I actually didn't know the games were based on this story until playing another game by that company, Kessen II, wherein the creator included a brief letter to the player which mentioned it.

The story itself is about how the current empire falls out of power and how the land of China ends up split between three warlords, all three men having the good of the people in their hearts, but having very different ways of going about unifying the land again under a single banner. The story spans about two thousand pages and is regarded as one of China's four great literary classics, along with Sun Tzu's Art of War. It's been made into movies, television series', video games, stage productions, and lord knows what else. It's mostly historical with a bit of fantasy here and there surrounding the heroes, and to fill in the blanks. I recommend it to anyone interested in ancient Chinese culture.

The other that I really love is The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. There's a ton of different versions of Robin Hood's story, it originally a folk lore that was told vocally before it was ever writen, from what I understand, and I managed to get my hands on a copy printed in the 1800s that centers around all of his positive feats, some which are commonly known and many which aren't. All the negative stuff we've come to expect from a Robin Hood tale aren't included in this version of the book. There's no Sheriff, no Crusades, I don't even think Maid Marian makes an appearance. It's been awhile. If she and the sheriff did it was briefly and lighthearted - as the whole book is, concentrating on all happy-go-lucky fun tales. It's an awesome read, and had me cracking up at many of the chapters.

The Three Musketeers also gets awesomely high points. I'd probably edit this post to make it a three-way tie, except that I don't feel like writing another paragraph right now! I'll just say that I learned a lot about writing from observing Dumas' style, which is interesting because it's a translated work.

Now, favorite comic book character? Shikamaru from Naruto is the man, as I think we've established. I really love Naruto too. I'd say Gambit is in there somewhere, but sadly I never actually read any X-Men comics. My love of him came from the early 90's cartoon show.

MM beats the other two.

As for favorite book, I don't know, but it's from the Dune series.

Paul Muad'dib would beat all of you. So would Vorian Atreides.

MM!!! hells yeah!!!

favorite book? well... tolkien's trilogy is definitely high up on my list. i first read them when i was 11 yrs old and they are what got me into reading anything fantastical in the first place. i also love jr ward's black dagger brotherhood series. it's PNR, but freakin' damn good stuff! it's written really well and has great characters and plot.

my favorite comic? hrmmm.... a toughie. i'm a fan of frank miller. especially his sin city novels. so those are high up there. along with his 300 novel. i love watchmen by moore and have always loved both x-men and spider-man.

Dune's up there for me as well. I've never been able to look at water the same way after reading Dune: my mind always says "what wealth".

I'm extremely fond of non-fiction. Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favourite writers. I like Guns, Germs and Steel. I like Our Inner Ape, A History of Zero, Flu.

I'm also a big fan of certain poetry, Langston Hughes and Pablo Neruda being my favourite. I also like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Proof in the play department.

I'm trying to work my way through Three Kingdoms, currently. It's too hard because of the Chinese transliterations. Since I have no idea how the names sound, they slip out of my head. I might find the Japanizations of them, just so I can read it, or nick name folks.

Pablo Neruda! <33 I love poetry too.

As for 'real' books, one of my biggest favourites is Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, but also on that list is going to be Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, The Quiet American by Graham Greene, and Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now. My god, that last one made me spend a whole day moping around in bed. D:

My Spanish isn't so good that I can tackle Marquez, but I've got Cien anos de soledad on my shelf.

I honestly prefer God Emperor of Dune or Heretics of Dune over the first one; Duncan, Leto II and Miles are just all badass characters.

When it comes to comics though I can't say anyone can compete with Gatsu/Guts from Berserk.

I didn't really like the writing of anything past Dune, really. And the first half of Dune is much more interesting to me than the second half. I felt it was more... intelligent? I don't know.

Kawamura said:
My Spanish isn't so good that I can tackle Marquez, but I've got Cien anos de soledad on my shelf.

Marquez in translation ftw. I know that something is lost whenever a work of fiction is translated, but, y'know, it beats trying to learn every language in the world! xD

Poetry when translated is always fail though.

Kawamura said:
Dune's up there for me as well. I've never been able to look at water the same way after reading Dune: my mind always says "what wealth".
Soo Soo Soook!
Nihilistic_Impact said:
I honestly prefer God Emperor of Dune or Heretics of Dune over the first one; Duncan, Leto II and Miles are just all badass characters.

When it comes to comics though I can't say anyone can compete with Gatsu/Guts from Berserk.
I'm finishing the last of the second prequel series, and i'm loving it as much as the original. Fuck yeah Vorian Atredes.

You should have made this thread from the get-go. :p

Anyhow, I don't really have any favorite books. I have books that are interesting to me, but nothing that I'd read again. I suppose I have yet to find the perfect book that will quench my overly picky self, but I just can't seem to find the book for me. At least yet.

As for the whole comic/manga related works, I tend to lean more on the manga side since it's easier and cheaper for me to find. Which is a damn shame, because I use to go through my grandma's comic collection as a kid and read superhero comics. My favorite character of all time in the comic genre is Batman. I suppose it has something to do with the Batman cartoon I watched when I was younger, even though I watched more of the X-Men cartoon (though that was purely my dad's influence over the TV on Saturday mornings).

I will say that I am less picky when it comes to actual comics than books, but that's because comics generally have characters I already recognize and therefor, are something I will look into, regardless if it was a flop. @_@ I probably wouldn't be happy with the story if that was the case, but I also enjoy artwork and if anything, that's really what a comic is about.

I like all sorts of books, but the only one I've re-read in about a decade is my novelization of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, in part because it's a Doc Savage pastiche, and I love that. Oh, wait, I also re-read Doc Sidhe, which is even MORE of a Doc Savage pastiche.

On comics, so so much. Lately I've been reading the collections of BTVS Season 8, and I am always up to reading Girl Genius or anything Hellboy. Also, I have all the collections of Tom Strong, which I enjoy. Er, OMG, also a Doc Savage pastiche! I think I have identified my weakness!

The Deathworld Trilogy for me. The second is my favorite, but all three are quite close. I've only ever read it translated, I don't know Russian and never had an interest to learn, three stories aren't enough to change my mind on that. The adventures of Jason Din-alt are definately a good read, can easiliy power through it in a day, maybe two. But the Pyrrans leave a good impression.

Never read an actual comic book though. I've seen cartoon adaptations, movies, played viedo games of it, read some webcomics, even read the novelization of "The Death and Return of Superman" but never had a comic book.

Oh yeah, forgot those books. Long time ago, fourth grade or so I checked a few books out of the library. Collections of comics, a few short articles talking about the comics and such. Was a nice way to burn a week. If that counts, then Spiderman was my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, there's trash out there in great amounts, no question. But the comic format, art plus text, is not necessarily infantile in and of itself, and if you get the right combo of writer and artist, you get something that's actually worthwhile, as valid as any modern novel or any modern artwork. The biggest issue is the reputation of the format as a whole. It's like if the only books anyone was familiar with was Dr. Seuss, and someone tried to introduce Dostoyevsky; people would reject it based on the reputation, you know? But it's undeserved. Dr. Seuss exists, but so does everything else. You just have to find it, I guess.

oh my fucking god, i never had to make such a hard choice before; Shikamaru or MM!? my heart is torn T_T

as for my favorite book it has to be "Something from the Nightside" By Simon Greene. I love his characters, the setting and the plot. It has just about everything i love about mystery and detective novels!

my favorite fictional character is hands down Shikamaru <3

Back
Top Bottom