Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mismatched Partners (kittykat4 and Josu_T)

Josu_T

Supernova
Alex Wylde walked into the dance studio and tossed his bag aside. He quickly stripped down to his practice clothes and started to stretch. As he did he waited for his coach, choreographer, and new dance partner. Since Amanda had gotten married she had been losing interest in dancing competetively. Now she was pregnant and really couldn't dance any more, at least for a year as she went through her pregnancy and took care of her new baby. He figured it was the end of them as partners and their victories at the competitions. Now he would have to dance with someone new and it would take time for them to get good enough together to be able to do well enough to get any sort of awards.

Alex had been dancing most of his life. He had been winning almost as long. He could do classic ballroom, but he felt more comfortable with the latin dances and swing dancing. He and Amanda had been dacing together for the better part of seven years. They had won over a dozen major competitons and placed well in almost everything else they had done together. She had married one of his friends and he was happy for them, but was disappointed that it meant she was finished with dancing. Now he was in his mid twenties and needed a new partner.

Alex was 6' tall and a little broader than most male dancers. He was quite strong and because of it could do some moves that most would never attempt. It took great coordination with his partner to pull them off though. He had lightly tanned skin, blue eyes, and short brown hair. He finished stretching and sat, relaxing and still waiting to see who his coach had found for him as a partner.

Annabell Thomson had been dancing for awhile but she never danced with anyone other than Nathan her last partner. He had quite dancing to study in rome. She started looking for a new partner, for weeks no one seemed interested until she talked to a choreographer about it. So now she was on her way to the dance studio to meet them. She had a small petite body perfect for a dancer. She was around 5'4" and had a slinder body. She had been dancing since she was young and she loved it. She loved ballroom ballroom dancing more than anything, but she also did hip-hop and some latin though they weren't her favorite.

Once she entered the studio she changed into her practice clothes and began stretching. She hadn't noticed there was someone already in the room when she came in.

Alex looked up when he heard the door of the studio open. He was very surprised to see Annabell there. He didn't know her very well personally, but he knew of her. He also knew her well enough that he didn't like her. He thought she was over rated and that her former partner had carried her in competition. He also knew that she prefered ballroom. He really hoped that his coach and choreographer didn't expect him to focus on ballroom just to have her as a partner. He stayed silent, wondering if she had noticed him. When she seemed to just start doing her own thing he got up. He walked past her and out of the room without saying anything. He stood on the other side of the door and waited for the coach to arrive. He really wanted to discuss the choice of partner for him. He had thought that there was someone better out there who would want to dance with him. Or at least someone who worked with his style better.

She looked up from her stretching when she saw someone pass her. At first she thought it was Alex but she wasn't sure she hoped it wasn't. She didn't like him at all, she knew what he thought of her and she didn't like it. She thought he was conceded thinking he was better than her. She stopped stretching and went after him to make sure it wasn't Alex, if he was her partner she wouldn't deal with him at all.

A minute later Alex's coach arrived, just before Annabell came through the door. He didn't hear her. He was too focused on his coach. "Are you kidding me? Come on Danielle. Really? You couldn't find anyone else? You had to get her? There is no way I can win with her. I am not going to carry her through the competition and I am not going to switch to doing only ballroom." He didn't catch the look on her face until he finished. It was clear from her expression that Annabell was where she could hear all that he said. But he didn't care. He didn't like her and if she couldn't handle that then she could leave. He didn't want to work with her and the sooner she left, the better.

Can't win with her? Carry her through the compitition? She was obviously angry and shocked, she knew what he thought of her but she never thought he would say it with her standing right there. "Excuse me? I don't need anyone to carry me through anything, I am a perfectly good dancer with or without a partner. Farther more I'm not just a ballroom dancer" She crossed her arms over her chest glaring at him.

Alex turned to face her. He laughed and shook his head. "Don't need anyone to carry you? Your former partner had to carry you all the time. No wonder he left. You have yet to show me in any competition that you can hold your own with the people who have actual talent. And you may not be only a ballroom dancer, but that is your specialty, is it not? Well my focus is on swing, as well as salsa and the other latin couples dance styles." Before he could say more his coach put her hand on his shoulder.

"Alex, stop. I've wanted to get you focused on classic ballroom for a long time now, but Amanda didn't fit that style as well. Your body and your natrual movements are perfect for ballroom. You just needed the right partner. Now that Amanda is gone you can work on a style that you will be even better at. You should be able to win with her as your partner. I'm sure of it."

Annabell smiled smugly at him "See she's sure of it." she said before turning around and going back inside. She had won this battle but only with help there were sure to be more as they work together. She sat on the floor leaning back against her elbows waiting for them to come inside. She had never seen Alex dance so she had no idea how good or bad he was at ballroom. She shok her head, this wasn't going to work at all.

Alex frowned and reluctantly returned to the studio. A few minutes later Sam, the choreographer, arrived. He was happy to see Annabell there. He had no idea that there had already been a fight. Alex had stayed in the corner silently. As they got ready to practice he got close to Annabell. "You had better be good. I'll give you one chance today. If you aren't one of the best ballroom dancers I've seen then I am out of here." His ego was too big to let him worry about how well he would do at it. Even though he hadn't done ballroom in a while he was sure it wouldn't be hard. He didn't realise that he was good, but not as good as he thought he was.

Annabell smiled when the choreographer got there now they could start, the sooner they started the sooner she could bet awa from Alex. She glared at him "It's my specialty remember, Of course I'll be good. Better than you anyway." She muttered the last part but loud enough for him to hear her. She knew he wouldn't be as good as her and she couldn't wait to rub it in his face when he realized it.

Alex frowned and rolled his eyes at her. Danielle stepped in and instructed them to start with the basics just to see how well they could do together. She then spoke quietly to Alex. She made sure he would try his hardest even though he didn't like Annabell. All she had to do was say a series of numbers and he nodded. He moved to the middle of the studio and waited for Annabell to join him. Sam started up some music and Alex started to lead through the first dance. They only went with the basic moves and he made sure to do his best.

When they started dancing Annabell realized he was better than she thought but she didn't show it. He kept up with her perfectly, his coach was right his movements are perfect. She looked him in the eye and couldn't help smiling he was good and he wasn't carrying her through the dance there was no way he could say he was.

Alex searched for flaws in Annabell's dancing. He needed something to comment about. The problem was that she wasn't making mistakes. She was actually quite good. Not that he would ever admit it to her. Or to anyone. For a split second he actually thought she might be better than him at ballroom, but he quickly reminded himself that he hadn't practiced ballroom in a while. It wasn't much of an excuse, but it worked for him. When he stopped focusing on every little movement she made he looked at her face and saw a smile. It surprised him. It didn't look fake. She actually seemed happy. Either she liked dancing with him or she was really good at faking a smile. Either way it would probably help them win.

Once they had finished the dance her smile dissapeared and she step away from him. She crossed her arms and waited for his coach to say something. From the look on her face it seemed like she liked what they did. Annabell looked over at Alex "Ok i'll be the bigger person here and say you were ok, not good just ok" She didn't want him to be getting a big head about his ballroom when he wasn't that good anyway. With some work he could be as good as her maybe better.

As the music stopped and she stepped away he frowned at her. He didn't need to look at Danielle to know she was happy. Alex rolled his eyes at Annabell's comment. "Yeah, well....you didn't screw up." He turned and looked at his coach. "I guess this could work. But if anything goes wrong don't think I will forget that this was your idea. Now what's next?" Sam stared at him feeling annoyed and hit a button, starting up a song of a different classic ballroom dance. Alex turned to face Annabell again and took up his stance, waiting for her to join him. He sighed. It was going to be a long practice.

She glared at him "Of course I didn't screw up. Maybe you'd be better at ballroom if you didn't focus on my moves and focus on yours" she said crossing her arms refusing to take her place. She wasn't going to dance again especially with him, insolting her dancing. He could have said she was good or something not that she needed him to. She just thought he would return the complement not insult her.

Alex stared at her as she refused to join him. Sam shut off the music and Alex sighed. "What is it now? Getting all whiny because I didn't say you were good? I wouldn't still be here if you weren't good. But I am not going to say it, so get over it and dance." He turned away from her only to be met by a glare from Danielle. It told him that he had better say it if he wanted to keep dancing. He frowned for a moment before putting on a fake smile and turning back toward Annabell. "You know what? Fine. You are good. Really good. And I'm lucky to have you as a partner. That's what I really think. But don't expect me to like it. Now can we get on with this?"

She glared at him she wasn't whining she just wanted the complement she deserved. She turned away from him her arms still crossed over her chest. She slowly turned around when he said what he said "Thank you that's all I asked for" She uncrossed her arms and moved closer to him. Once she got into position she waited for him. Another victory, she didn't expect to win this one but she did.

Alex kept his smileand moved in to join her. The music started and he began to dance with her. This time around he focused on what he was doing and didn't worry about her. He was tired of everyone being against him and the easiest way to deal with it was to just shut up and dance. His body moved with the music and he got lost in the feeling of it. He was actually enjoying dancing with her. That was truly something he would never admit, but he was. He couldn't help it. He no longer had to fake his smile. As soon as the song ended, however, he stepped away and silently stared at the wall. He waited for instructions and simply followed them. He wasn't going to talk any more.

She danced with him loosing herself in the music and movements as she usually did. When the music stoped she sighed and stood there crosing her arms again. She had epected him to say something but he just stared at the wall which was weird to her. She looked at the coach waiting for intructions.

The rest of the practice involved the two of them going through all of the basics to make sure they both knew it all and that they could do it together. When they were finally done for the day Alex silently walked past their coach and choreographer and picked up his things. Before he left the studio he stopped and looked back at the others. "See you tomorrow....good job." He mumbled the last words and went through the door. He went right to the change rooms to get a shower. They hadn't worked too hard so he wasn't sweaty, but he always liked to shower after practice.

After They had finished She grabbed her things and said goodbye to the coach and choreographer. She hadn't heard the last part of what Ale said but she didn't worry about it. She went to the changing room and took a quick shower and put on her clothes. She left the studio and went to get a coffee.

Alex finished his shower and got dressed. He left the building and started on his way home. On the way he decided to get something to drink from the coffee shop. He walked in and saw Annabell there. He frowned. He'd hoped he wouldn't have to deal with her until the next day. He stood in line and tried not to think about her at all. He decided he would need to go to a different coffee shop from then on just to make sure he didn't run into her any more. It was tough enough that he didn't have a reason not to dance with her. It made things a lot more difficult. He still didn't like her and he didn't think that would change.

Once she got her coffee she turned to leave and saw Alex letting out a soft groan she too a long drink of her coffee. She walked up to him "You know, if we're going to dance together we need to compromise." She said taking another sip of coffee. She didn't want to fight everytime they practiced it was tiring. Besideds arguing with Alex was usless he would never listen to her anyway, and he needed to if they were going to be focused on ballroom. She knew way more about ballroom dance and competitions then he did and they both knew it.

Alex saw her turn and when she spotted him he just hoped she would walk away without saying anything. He wasn't so lucky. He shrugged. "I thought I was. I told you how I felt and I am still planning on being there, aren't I? That's about as much of a compromise as you can expect from me. What more do you want?" He took a step forward as the line advanced. He relly didn't feel like dealing with her outside of the studio. He had no idea what she was bugging him about. What compromise could there be?

Back
Top Bottom