Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Class Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first words out of the young woman's mouth were enough to tell the young man where the conversation was going, and it wasn't a question that had an easy answer. He couldn't deflect with some off-color comment or turn the situation around into something lighthearted like he was accustomed. The young woman deserved better than that, and even if he didn't want to revisit this sort of subject, he'd do it for her sake.

"High school...back when we worked together on our crazy stunts and schemes. Yeah, I remember..." He looked away from the young woman, staring at the floor as if he could find some way out of talking about this sort of thing. "I had a lot going on that I didn't want bother anyone with, or at least, it seemed like a lot at the time." He started, the confident grin on his face replaced by a more sullen expression. "You remember some of it, some near suspensions for fighting, crashing at a friends place for most of the year...I didn't want you to get caught up in that vicious rumor mill by associating with some nobody like me. The kids we went to school with played for keeps in such a serious way--let's just say that a few of those fights were about someone saying something about you that I didn't quite like." He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck, though the laughter had a bitter bite to it.

"Even if you knock a guy's teeth out, his words can still get to you." He pounded his fist into his hand, the memories coming into focus even as he spoke. "After a while, I got this idea in my head that I must be no good if me hanging out with you was causing all of that." He shook his head and looked to the young woman. "Pretty stupid idea, but I didn't hear too many rumors after I stopped hanging out with you. Plus, I didn't want to ruin your senior prom--I think I got into a fight at the after party. Man, I was hopeless for a while there..." He chuckled, an honest, warm tone to his laughter this time.

"I never hated you or anything, I always thought you were kind of cool, even if you were too good for me, then as now..."

When Noah finished his tale, Amy's eyes were glistening with fresh tears. "Oh, Noah..." She got up from the bed, kneeling down in front of his and giving him a tight hug. "I...I'm so sorry...I-I didn't know you felt that way..." she said softly, sniffling.

"Can you forgive me? She asked, resting chin on his shoulder. She felt so guilty about what she did to him over the years on the assumption that he didn't like her, and she wanted nothing but to hear him accept her apology. Even if they were the last words he said to her.

"Trust me, that was my fault for letting things get to me." Noah accepted her embrace, reciprocating with a gentle strength, though he didn't think he was worthy of such an opportunity. She was even asking for forgiveness, which was something that he never would have thought would pass between them. "What? Isn't that what I should be saying to you? I was the stubborn, misguided idiot who let things get to be the way that they were..." Noah gripped the fabric of her night gown, realizing that he was having a hard time relaxing his grip, as if he were afraid that she was going somewhere and wasn't going to tale him along.

"Besides, being rivals was kind of fun, wasn't it? Now, why don't we carry you back to bed...you'll catch a cold laying on the floor, especially with me right here." He gathered the young woman in his arms as he balanced and braced himself on one knee. She could fight it all he wanted, but he wasn't going to let her go easily. He stood up and made the slow walk to her bed, paying no mind to whatever state of disarray the room.

Amy's face turned a harsh pink when Noah picked her up, bridal-style, and carryied her back over to her bed. "Thank you, Noah," she whispered, closing her eyes and resting her head against his chest. She couldn't believe that such a small matter ruined their once close friendship. But at least now they could make some amends.

When they reached her bedside, Amy tilted her head and gave Noah a small kiss on the cheek, as if thanking him for his kindness.

The young man said nothing as she thanked him, though it was hard to maintain that stoic facade when she kissed him on the cheek. The heat under his collar was palpable, and though he didn't pursue her, he wondered what it would be like if that kiss wasn't just an innocent token of gratitude. "Anyway, I'll be standing watch. Good night Amy..." He said, walking slowly over to her door and resting his back against it, sliding down until he hit the floor. In truth, he was dog tired, and while he was sure that his friends would rather have him available in case something else happened, that just wasn't in the cards for tonight. They would just have to understand, not that he was going to tell them what had transpired between Amy and himself.

He closed his eyes, but he wasn't sleeping, not after all that had happened tonight. It was easy to blame this on their little contest from earlier, but something told him that this was in the works for quite some time. He sighed, folding his arms and allowing his head to dip slightly, even if his neck was going to kill him in the morning.

Amy nodded as he lied her on the bed. "Good night, Noah..." she whispered before closing her eyes. When he went outside, she began to think about what she'd just done. Was she falling for Noah all over again? And if so, was this just going to end in heartbreak as it had before? She pondered these things for a long time until her mind finally gave in to its fatigue and she fell asleep.

The rest of the evening was uneventful, and by the time morning had come, the young man was fast asleep, leaning to one side while still resting against the door. It was a dreamless sleep for the young man, and even now he was oblivious to the world around him. He contemplated what steps he and his friends could take in the wake of last night's events, but he came up with nothing grand or otherwise out of the ordinary. He looked peaceful while at rest, though he looked as much of a dullard here as he did in early classes or late-night study sessions.

OOC: I am SO sorry about the wait. Life's been overwhelming the last few months, but I've got Christmas off, so thank God for that:angel:

IC: When Amy awoke that morning, the events of the previous night were distant in her mind. It was almost as if it were all just one crazy dream. But no, it was real; her bumps and bruises were a painful reminder of that.

As she got dressed, she felt that something was wrong, but she couldn't put her finger on it. "Okay... homework, check. Pencil bag, check. Hat... oh... where's my hat?!" she shouted as she began searching frantically for her cherished beret.

Unknown to her, her shouting had woken up her heavy-sleeping roommate, and she was loud enough to stir everyone down either side of the hallway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom