Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ravenwood School Of Magic (Krys Snape & Tsumi Okasaki)

AlphaWolfQuin

Pulsar
The letter came early in the morning, it was in a red envelope and was sealed with a wax seal that had some sort of symbol in the middle of it. Riku opened the letter and began to read it.

Dear Ms, James,

You have been accepted into The Ravenwood School of Magic. After reviewing both your academic and magical test scores we have decided to place you into the Red House. Our school will provide you with everything you may need to study here. We assume you already have a wand from your previous magic school. Ravenwood welcomes you with open arms, we look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,
Headmaster Vladimir Ravenwood

Riku smiled not everyone got accepted into Ravenwood it was an honor to be able to attend this school seeing it was one of the finest in the world. There were other magic schools around but amongst all witches and wizards Ravenwood was top notch. She put the letter into her pocket and made her way upstairs to her room to pack and get ready for her trip to the school. After packing she sat down on her bed and waited, she would be picked up at night seeing it was easier to keep hidden from anyone who wasn’t of magic decent. Witches and wizards kept their world a secret because they feared that people wouldn’t understand and become frightened with magic.

When the clock struck twelve o’clock midnight there was a knock on Riku’s bedroom window. She walked over and opened it, there was a flying carriage being pulled by what looked to be a Pegasus. An old man exited the carriage and walked into
Riku’s room through the window and grabbed her suitcases and put them into the carriage, he then motioned for her to get in. Riku made her way into the carriage and sat down. There were a few other students already inside the carriage. “RAVENWOOD SCHOOL”! The driver shouted and the carriage was off at a very high speed.

When they arrived at the school the students all piled out of the carriage, there were other carriages around as well, dropping other students off. The students were met by an old wizard, he wore a blue robe and his hair was long and white, his beard was just as long as his hair. “Welcome students my name is Headmaster Ravenwood and for the next four years you will be under mine and my staff’s care, you are hear to advance your magic skills and exceed your own expectations, you were all sorted into a specific house either, Red, Blue, Green, or Purple according to your magical experience, When you enter through these doors you will be taught to push yourselves both mentally and physically, how well you do is completely up to you” ,The man announced. He then waved his hand making the large doors to the school open up for the students to go inside.

Hikaru sat pondering the days events as her carriage made its way across the skies. Around her a few of the other students headed for Ravenwood School of Magic chattered about various things, her mind only collecting the odd snippet of information here and there and registering it. She sat against the wall closest to the door, having been one of the last students picked up. The girl boarding after her seemed persistent in trying to engage the young woman in conversation, to which Hikaru only gave the odd answer.

Her mind reeled back over her first introductions to the world of magic and the adventures that had followed. Her parents, of course, disapproved greatly but she paid them no heed in the least. She had long ago learned not to rely on them for anything but a hard time, disappointment and the more than occasional back hand or worse.

Hikaru couldn't help but let out an ironic smile as she thought about it. Their very behavior and shunning of her was what made her capable of handling what her first magic school had thrown at her. She delved into the world of magic with a fascination that, if she probably stopped to think about it, might be considered unhealthy.

Pushing the thoughts aside, she thought over the mornings events. Waking up, she had come to find a letter in a red envelope tossed on top of the fridge. Reaching up for it, she found it sealed with wax and a crest in the seal she didn't recognize. Flipping it over she found her name written across the front in an elegant script. Opening it, she pulled out a letter penned on high quality paper and smiled. She knew what it was.

She had thought that it was a reply from the man she was about to rent an apartment from, but upon seeing the elegant script, she knew it was for her other life. Reading over the letter, her eyebrows rose. She hadn't expected to be attending Ravenwood. That was a pretty elite school and considering she had learned nothing of magic until her first school had sent their first letter of enrollment. Shaking her head at the series of events that had caused, she went to her room and reached beneath her bed for a small wooden trunk. In it was everything magic related about her life.

Reaching inside of it, she pulled out her wand and closed her eyes focusing. A split second later she began a simple spell, one she hoped to god wouldn't get her in trouble before she even set foot on campus. The spell was quite simple in design and wouldn't cause any strangeness or be noticeable. All she had done was have any incoming mail transported to her on campus. She may have schooling to look forward to, but she still had to return here some time.

"Hikaru?" someone asked in a voice that seemed to be growing impatient. Getting ready to tell the person off she looked over and found herself staring into April's face, the young woman that had boarded after her.
"Hikaru, we are descending." she said in a suddenly worried tone. Hikaru smiled at her, "Thanks. Sorry I must have spaced out." She knew the look that had probably just been plastered on her face wasn't an encouraging one. The woman smiled at her and asked, "So what house are you in?"
"Blue" Hikaru responded as she saw felt the carriage touch down and reached for her trunk. "What about you?"

Looking over at the woman, she could see her struggling to contain some sudden excitement. "Me to!!" she nearly shouted, bouncing on her seat. Hikaru groaned inwardly and smiled at the woman "Well looks like we are crashing together."
Getting off the carriage she notices several others with student's filing out. Giving a have grin to April, who now seemed to be glued to her hip, she set off to where all the students seemed to be gathering. An old man in a purple robe with some seriously Gannondorf style hair and beard was giving a small speech. Listening, she could only wonder what awaited her this year.

As Riku walked into the large building she looked around at everything to get used to her surroundings. She was impressed to say the least, the walls were covered with beautiful paintings and the ceiling was a deep blue with gold stars. Suits of armor saluted the new students as they walked by, nearly everyone looked impressed by everything in the school so far. Riku remembered the first magic school she had went to and it wasn’t nearly as extravagant as this, it was nice but not as nice at Ravenwood.

The Headmaster stopped in front of another set of doors, “This is the assembly room where we will have our daily meetings, make announcements, and hold our dueling classes, if you all would please take a seat inside so we can hand out your class schedules and explain the layout of the school” ,he said before moving aside and letting the students pile in.

Riku took a seat and watched as the headmaster made his way to the front of the room, he took his place behind a large stone podium and waited until everyone was seated. “First things first, you all need your school uniforms” ,he said before waving his wand. All of a sudden Riku was wearing a pair of black slacks, a white button up shirt, a red sweater vest with the school crest on it, and a black tie. She looked around and the rest of the students had the same thing on only different colors and some of the girls had skirts instead of slacks. She had only been there for maybe a half an hour and the headmaster had impressed the hell out of her.

He cleared his throat then continued, “There are a number of classes for you all to chose from, you must chose a minimum of five and no more then seven per quarter, the classes that you can chose from are, Magic History which is an informative class to teach you about where magic originated and how it has developed over the years, Summoning which will teach you to summon things you need or want properly, Healing, Defensive and Offensive spells, Magical Creatures study, Potion brewing, and many many more. You will all be given a list that you will look over and put a check next to each class you want to take this quarter, you are to hand it in tomorrow morning during breakfast, you’re house mentor will show you all to the mess hall in the morning, now if you would follow your designated mentor to your houses” ,with that he made his way back out of the assembly room.

Riku along with the rest of the Red clad students followed an old witch with red dress robes and a red pointed hat to a building that had a red flag hanging from a pole in front of the door. When inside they were all given their own room and told to fill out the list that sat on a desk in each room.

As they settled into the assembly hall, Hikaru looked around. Some faces she thought she recognized from her last school but of the majority of people she only knew for certain she knew two of them. As the Headmaster began to go into school uniforms she suddenly found herself wearing one. Shocked at first, her surprise slowly pooled into anger. She didn't appreciate people just turning her things into whatever they liked. Especially when the outfit was sentimental to her.

Without her realizing it, a low gutteral growl escaped her causing several students around her to turn and look at her. Quieting herself, she gripped the edge of the 'skirt', if that was even the passable word for it, in her hands. Squeezing till she was white knuckled and her fists were shaking she did her best to bite her tongue until the old man was done.

As he went to depart the assembly hall, she immediately detached herself from her group and stopped him in the hall. "Hold Old Man." she said, not caring one iota about his reaction. He had crossed a line and deserved any insult he found. "Listen here. I don't know if your familiar with the opposite gender, but generally we get pissed when you start destroying our favorite outfits for uniformity." Her tone venomous at best, she watched the old man turn and scrutinize her for a few moments.

She held her ground. No way was this man going to intimidate her, or any other man for that matter, but after a few moments she realized that wasn't what he was after. "I suppose your right." he said calmly. "I will transport your outfit to your room upon you choosing your bedding." Waving a hand he grinned at her and said "I assume its rather important to you or you wouldn't have risked a confrontation with the Headmaster on the first day. Be at ease, even old men occasionally slip up."

Hikaru blinked seriously taken aback. It took her several moments to recover from the man's reply. Where was the stubborn illogical goat she had run into on every occasion before? She bit the inside of her cheek before responding. "Thank you, Headmaster." She had to admit, it was pretty upfront of him to hop the fence and see the field from her side instead of bashing against the wall and then just making use of his position to end things. Nodding the old man turned and said "Better catch up with you group." Looking over his shoulder at her he smiled and said "Unless there is anything else this 'stubborn old goat' can help you with."

Her jaw nearly dropped. Did he listen in on her thoughts? She blinked several times and pushed the thought aside. No, she thought to herself. He just has a better understanding of me than I of him. With a formal bow she turned and left, reattaching herself to her group, to which April immediately became a bouncing pair of breasts and mop of hair "You almost got left!" she said, her expression causing Hikaru to grin. "Sorry." she said to the woman as she merged back with the group and was lead off. "Had something to take care of."
"So what classes are you taking?"
Hikaru thought for a moment and said "Well definitely offensive and defensive spells since that's what I excel in. And maybe some sort of charm class. That way I can learn a few more useful tricks like the binding charm." she said referring to the nifty little charm that let you fully restrain a person. She had had a little fun with that one at her last school, but it got boring quick. She had discovered that there was more of a thrill to doing things by hand.

With those thoughts on her mind, she couldn't help but look over to April, who was glancing at her out of the corner of her eye and trying to hide it behind a wall of hair. "Whats up?" she asked the suddenly docile woman. April looked up at her, giving Hikaru her customary smile "Nothing. Just thinking." Hikaru shook her head and continued to allow herself to be lead to Blue House. She seriously intended to make a better name than Blue for her home.

Riku sat down at her desk and looked over the list of classes she had to choose from. After very carefully reading everything over she began to check off which courses she wanted to take. When she finished filling out the checklist she placed it in the envelope that was provided and sealed it, she then placed it into the drawer of her desk and made her way over to her dresser and opened it. There was no surprise when she seen all of her clothes already there. She pulled out a pair of black pajama pants and a white t-shirt then walked down the hall to the bathroom to take a shower. When she finished she dried off and put her pajamas on and made her way back to her room and laid down on her bed.

When Riku woke up the next morning she put on her school uniform and grabbed the envelope out of the drawer and made her way to the mess hall for breakfast. She placed the envelope in the pile next to the entrance of the mess hall when she got inside. Riku made her way over to an empty table and waited for her food, it was nice that the students were served instead of having to walk through a line. As Riku ate her food a short petite woman came over to her, she was wearing red as well so Riku knew she was from her house. “May I sit with you”? The small woman asked. Riku just nodded her head then went back to eating. She wasn’t one for conversation so the two barely talked at all throughout breakfast only discussed what classes they’d be taking when the week started.

After breakfast Riku decided to take a walk of the grounds. As she walked onto the open field she heard a loud roar and then was nearly hit with a huge fireball. She quickly pulled her wand out, “OY who did that”?! She yelled. “OH my I am terribly sorry dear, the beast is still a bit untrained” ,a short rather plump woman wearing a sky blue cloak appeared holding a leash. When Riku followed the leash and realized what it was attached to her eyes widened. “T-That’s a dragon” ,she stated in a state of awe. She had read about the beasts and knew they could be trained and used as guards but she had never seen one. “My name is professor Rikket I’m the teacher that teaches about creatures” ,she held out a hand and Riku took it, “I’m Riku pleasure to meet you ma’am” ,Riku said in response. “Ah Rikket, Riku they sound a bit similar don’t they” ,the woman said excitedly. She had a very happy attitude and it was having an effect on Riku, it seemed as if the woman’s happiness was making Riku feel happy herself. “Well you best be off before this beast decides to throw a hissy fit” ,professor Rikket explained. “I’ll see you when classes start then” ,Riku said in response before walking away. She knew she had picked that class while choosing and was no more excited then ever to be taking it.

Having filled out her course list she lay in bed looking up at the ceiling, which for the strangest reason kept changing colors as if it thought she were unhappy with it. Grinning to herself she sat up and and looked around. Popping off the bed, she got dressed in her favorite skirt and spaghetti strapped top. She knew it would bring attention, especially from guys, but she figured it was late enough that she could get by with it. She needed fresh air and an open space. She was pretty sure it was against the rules to wander around at night but she needed to clear her head and rid herself of the excitement of being here or she would never get any sleep.

Tomorrow was her first day and that was one of the most important ones. Slipping from the dorm she stood on the large patio steps looking up at the full moon. Getting lost in the moment, she suddenly heard a voice behind her. "The stars are beautiful tonight." Turning she saw a tall pale skinned woman wrapped in what looked to be a very warm cloak. Her red hair blazed brilliantly catching the little light from the night sky. It was easy to call her beautiful. Her green eyes regarded Hikaru with a calm friendly demeanor. She moved to stand next to the young woman and placed her hand at the small of Hikaru's back, turning her attention back out to the night sky. "They always calm me." she said, her voice rich and warm.

Hikaru nodded mutely then after a few moments finally found her voice. "I sometimes like to sit on my roof at night and simply watch the night pass by." She knew it sounded pathetic but she wasn't ashamed of what she enjoyed doing and would apologize only long after death. The woman smiled and looked to her. She was a full head taller than Hikaru and for Hikaru's age that was something. Looking back out at the night sky she said to the woman "I thought you were about to give me a hard time for slipping from the dorm. The woman grinned, her eyes sparkling mirthfully "No. Not my style. I'd just make you scrub my desk a couple thousand times." the humor in her voice clear, Hikaru couldn't help but smile.

She liked the woman. For her that was unusual. Normally she played nice with someone but kept her eyes open for anything from them. She looked up to her companion and said "I'm Hikaru by the way." and caught a good profile view of her. The woman didn't look back as she responded. "I'm Professor Lynx, the Charms teacher." she said softly. Hikaru couldn't help but grin "I have you first thing in the morning." she said to which the woman turned and replied "Oh, do you?"

Hikaru's thoughts immediately went to very different places and she couldn't help but laugh. "I should get back in before I'm noticed." she said to the woman, who nodded agreeing it was best she not get caught on the first day. Making her way back to her room she fell onto her bed suddenly far more exhausted than she thought. Waking up suddenly, she looked around and sighed relieved. Her tensions slipping from her. It was morning but she wasn't late, as the tightness in her chest usually indicated. Getting dressed, she quickly checked herself over in a nearby mirror and nodded. Making her way to the main building, she skipped over breakfast and headed straight towards her class. It was a good thing she had done so because her understanding of the school blueprints seemed to have been faulty.

Getting lost several times, she finally made it to professor Lynx's class and was greeted as she walked in. "Its nice to see you again, Hikaru." the woman said as she entered. Saying something similar she made her way to her seat and settled in. Shortly into the lesson she was happy that her guess about it would be right. She perused over the chapter that was instructed to her and grinned. It was a simple charm and the history behind it was rather interesting. Reading it over, she was suddenly startled when the class ended.
"Well that's it for today class." Professor Lynx said, almost disappointed. Hikaru could understand that sentiment. She had enjoyed the lesson. Rising from her seat she nodded to the professor and said "See you tomorrow, ma'am."

The weekend had passed relatively quickly and Riku was now having to prepare for her first class of the year. After she finished getting ready she headed down to the mess hall to eat a quick breakfast, she was met by the same short petite woman that had been sitting with her since she got to Ravenwood. She ate her food quickly then made her way to her first class which was Care of Magical Creatures or as the professor put it, ‘The class where the teacher teaches about creatures’. She took her place on the lawn and waited for the rest of the students to show up. The professor had a rather large crate with holes in it sitting in the front of the class.

After the rest of the class showed up Professor Rikket smiled then began her lesson, “Today class we will be learning about a creature called a Griffin” ,she opened the crate and let the sides fall revealing a half lion half eagle looking creature. Most of the students gasped with awe, and the others seemed a bit scared. “Griffins have the head, claws, and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion, they make their nests in the highest mountains and line them with gold” ,Professor Rikket explained. “They hate horses but will occasionally mate with them, can anyone tell me what the offspring is called”? Riku raised her hand, “Yes Riku” ,Professor Rikket said looking straight at her. “The offspring is called a hippogriff” ,Riku said in response. “YES! Right you are Riku very good” ,the professor exclaimed.

A few students looked at Riku wondering how she knew that answer, it was simple she studied a lot and liked to excel in every subject plus she enjoyed magical creatures so it was a subject she paid attention to.

She continued onto her next class, a light bounce in her step. She was away from home, surrounded by the world of magic and people who shared it, and didn't have to worry about being the family leper. What the hell more could she ask for? Grinning, her mind mulled over her home situation unbidden and her grin slowly faded. She slowly crossed the campus to her next class, Magical Creatures. By the time she arrived, her pace had slowed and her expression was downcast.

Why did things back home have to suck so badly, she asked herself silently. For years she had done everything she could to make them happy. She never asked questions about their actions and had always tried her best to be a good daughter. But just because of one thing, she was always always going to be a downcast. Trodden over just because of it.

She did her best to put the thoughts behind her, but was still distracted by them when Professor Rikket called her up. "I'm sorry ma'am." she told the instructor. She had just finished explaining about griffins and was letting the students observe the one she had when she had walked up to Hikaru. There was a giddy stride to her step as if perpetually happy or seeing the humor in everything around her.

"Oh no worries." she said grinning. "I just wanted to let you know that your first and second period classes would be swapped as of tomorrow." Nodding mutely, Hikaru just stood there causing Professor Rikket to tilt her head as if pondering the young woman.
"Say," she started. "Do you wish to see the creatures for tomorrows lesson? I could use some help with them and you look like you could use some busy work."

Nodding once more, she was led around to the back of the building she had mistook for a lesson room upon arriving. Looking it over, she realized it was to small to house all the students during a lesson and wondered if it was the woman's quarters while she was on campus. Around back was a building equal in size and dome shaped like the first. Opening a wooden door on the back side of the building, the professor lead her inside and shut the door. Where upon Hikaru was immediately hit in the chest by something soft. Holding out her hands reflexively to catch the suddenly falling object, she looked down at it.

It was a ball of fluff. A ball of fluff that had large eyes and made the cutest little squeak upon looking up at her. The big eyes squeezing shut and it made another squeaking sound then suddenly started vibrating in her palms. Hikaru couldn't help but grin at the cute little thing and started stroking its fur. It was about a foot across and seemed completely round with pale pink fur and almost no weight to it at all. Immediately the thing bounced from her hand again and struck her in the chest before landing once more in her palm and bouncing up and down a few times before letting out what almost sounded like a kittens mew. Hikaru giggled and stroked the thing once more before looking to the professor who, she realized had been watching her with a grin.

"Its a Chibi." she said upon meeting Hikaru's eyes. "I plan on having each student take care of one tomorrow till it matures." Walking over to Hikaru, she plucked the fuzz ball from her hands and flipped it upside downward causing it to protest loudly in what could only be taken as an agry series of squeaks and tiny snarls. Rikket ignored the thing's protests and began stroking its underside to which the Chibi responded with a long low series of sounds and started vibrating almost uncontrollably. "They hate being turned over but their tender spots are on the underside of their bellies." the professor explained. "They grow along side humans unobserved feeding on their true nature in order to survive."

Handing the Chibi back to Hikaru, the professor moved over to a small pen in the room. Walking over to it and absentmindedly stroking the Chibi she heard it make what sounded like chirps and grinned before looking into the pen. There were a large number of the chibis in there, most with the same light color of fur as the one resting in her hand. However there were also darker colored ones, some nearly black and seemed a little more than grouchy with the others around it. "They change based on what they feed on. See the darker ones?" the professor asked, to which Hikaru nodded. "They were found feeding on the nature of evil individuals. They aren't fully developed yet but when their fur reaches full pitch black, there is no return for them. They begin causing people nightmares and twisting their fortunes to ruin. Some even change to resemble creatures of evil if they have never fed on a person of good heart before." Picking up one of the black ones, which immediately started shaking in violent anger she said, "None of these will change into anything but a slightly larger ball of fur. However its important that they all get what they need or they could become terrors, doomed by their own needs." Her tone was suddenly mournful, as if she knew the pain that would cause the creatures and resented it.

"Professor?" Hikaru started and looked at the black fuzz in her hand. "Can they be helped once they are fully black at all?" she said suddenly worried about the creature the professor was holding. It was almost completely black and seemed to hold contempt for everything around it. "Yes and no..." said the professor. "Their suffering can be eased by the nature of good people if they feed on them but their fate is sealed. The will never be able to cause happiness and good fortune like the rest of their kind can. And chances are they will never find another chibi willing to partner with them. Hearing this, Hikaru looked into the pen and noticed that most of the chibi had pulled away from the darker ones, only those forced near them stayed put. Hikaru set the one she had in the pen and took the one from Professor Rikket, holding tightly as it struggled to get free. Keeping a firm grip on it, she started petting it which seemed to calm it somewhat, at least to the point it would allow its self to be held.
"Let me take care of this one." she said softly. She didn't want to dwell on the fact that if she failed it would mean a life of solitude for the chibi. Something she more than understood. "I promise I'll take good care of it."

She couldn't stand the thought of the thing living alone all its life because its nature deemed it to be socially unacceptable and was struck by how similar their situations were. But the professor seemed not to notice her suddenly withdraw into herself and simply beamed at the woman. "I was hoping someone would volunteer for one!" She said nearly bouncing from foot to foot. "Take that one with you and keep it close for the next two days. After that, it wont stray from you. Normally they hide but when the person they are feeding off of is a magic user, they tend to stay out in the open."

With that the professor had her help sort the creatures. A task that involved a lot of chest bumps, squeaking, and lots and lots of petting to get the creatures to settle down enough to be handled without them wanting to bounce clear across the room. Finishing the task, she smiled then rose. "Professor, I think I'm late for my nest lesson." Grinning Rikket responded "Not a problem. Already taken care of."

When class finished Riku made her way to her next class slowly, she really didn’t want the previous class to end, enjoying learning about the Griffin. She made her way back up to the school and across the yard towards the school building. She sat down at one of the desks and waited for the teacher to come in and start the lesson. When the door opened the class turned to look at who had entered. Professor Harris was a tall man with short grey hair and a five o clock shadow, he wore a solid black tux and his face seemed to have a permanent scowl on it. “Open your books to chapter one first things first, the disarming spell, I want you all to read the chapter thoroughly then when you are finished flip your books over so I know who is done” ,he said in an almost demanding voice. Professor Harris sat down at his desk and began to write something down on a piece of parchment while his students read chapter one of their textbooks.

Riku had been one of the firsts to finish reading and flipped her book over. Shortly after a few more students did as well. When the rest of the class had flipped their books over Professor Harris stood up and made his way out from behind his desk. “Alright now do we know the incantation of the spell we’re about to perform”? He asked, his eyes scanning the classroom waiting for someone to raise their hand. After a few moments a boy in purple’s hand shot into the air, “Yes”? Professor Harris said looking at him, the boy swallowed hard, it was clear he was intimidated by the professor, “The incantation is Entwaffnen” ,the boy replied. “And where did this incantation come from”? The professor continued. “It’s the German word for disarm” ,the boy answered with confidence. “Right you are, now I want all of you to pair up and practice the spell on each other until class is finished, remember your wand motion it’s a swish then jab….begin”!

After class finished Riku walked out having pretty much disarmed everyone in the classroom. Some students ended up with burns or cuts from performing the spell wrong by either messing up the wand motion or the incantation. Riku made her way down the hall to her next class Charms. It was a rather successful class but they mainly did reading from a text book, Riku figured Professor Lynx would rather be safe then sorry when teaching her class. It was potions then lunch next, Riku walked over to the next building and into her potions class, she sat down at one of the tables knowing that this class required people to partner up she wondered who she was going to get paired with.

Her next class was Offensive Magic and, though Professor Rikket assured her that she wouldn't be late, the immediately noticeable man standing before a large desk looked over to her the moment she entered, his expression saying 'you had better take damned good note of what was missed'. Her eyebrows shot up upon seeing the man. He was leaning back against the desk and wearing black biker boots with a tight fitting sleeveless tee and black pants. His heavily muscled arms where layered her and there with scars crossing against the sun weathered skin that indicated many many fights, both magical and melee. She was willing to bet that if the man took his shirt off, there would be an equal number across his torso as well. But the thing she found odd was that they didn't seem to take away from his appearance in the least. No, they added a sense of caliber to the man. Making him appear far more imposing than his muscular physique would have normally have been.

Suddenly very irritated with the look he was giving her she didn't hesitate to respond with one of her own, more than willing to go toe to toe with the man. "You must be Hikaru." she heard him say in a gruff voice. "I'm glad you could make it." She squared her shoulders slightly and responded "Myself as well. I would have been here sooner but some things needed my attention." She knew it was probably the worst route to go but she suddenly cared little about anything but holding her own against the open challenge of a stare he was giving her, daring her to respond. "I wasn't aware that student's had anything to attend to during school besides the lessons. Perhaps I will have to look into it." She shrugged "I wasn't aware that the activites of student's under the supervision of others was another's concern."

She felt the tension in the room at her statement and refused to glance at the suddenly still class. Doing so even out of curiosity would be backing down and that she wouldn't do. Suddenly the teacher pushed off of the desk and turned to face her directly. Without realizing it, she stepped closer and noticed the man towered clear over her. What the hell was he before becoming a teacher? She couldn't help but wonder. The man was a good foot and a half taller than her, causing her to have to look up to meet his gaze. A battle of David and Goliath, she almost let his next response slip past her.

"You seem to be very outspoken, Ms. Hikaru. Perhaps you require time after school to consider your disposition." She could tell the wording wasn't one he would have normally chosen and couldn't help herself as she responded in a hars tone, "Truth to power is never out. And I'd take it up with anyone that said otherwise."

Suddenly the man burst into laughter, which confused the hell out of Hikaru. "That you would, Little Lady." he said as he settled down, a grin on his face. "Go take your seat. We are going over a couple of spells from Chapter One." He then turned and moved behind his desk looking down at the large book on it leaving Hikaru with nothing to do but as he said. After that the rest of the class went swiftly. They each took a practice dummy that was lined against the back of the wall and practiced the spells in the book.

The first spell was rather straight forward. It was a power spell that required quite a bit of juice to use. No fancy gestures or hand motions, just the spell word "Sultras" and aim. The spell was supposed to send a small ball of light at the opponent about the size of a marble then violently erupt into a shockwave and obliterate the dummy from the inside. However most people found themselves thrown back by several feet just uttering the word of the spell. Hikaru's first attempts were more successful. She managed to form the small marble and send it at the target only to have it erupt prematurely. After a few frustrating attempts, the professor, who's name she discovered was Graves, corrected her on the proper displacement for the spell. Soon after that she was blasting her dummy down and watching it get ripped into shreads again and again only to reform its self.

After they had all atleast attempted the spell several times, Hikaru being the first to master it followed by a read haired woman and a straw thin boy, Graves stopped them and said "This spell isnt entirely unblockable however a shielding spell has no effect on it. So untill you learn the proper guards against it, never use it on anyone that can send it back. And for the love of all you hold dear, never met the spell with its own. The results will be devastating." Hikaru could only imagine what two of the little orbs clashing together could do to both combatants and nodded. The next spell was 'Lylthing' which was nothing more than a variation of the Reducio spell which blasted apart objects. It required more power and had a wider range as well as no line of obstruction. If cast right then only the object that the person was pointing at would be destroyed even if something moved between the caster and the target when the word was spoken. Graves demonstrated this many times, the first scaring the shit out of everyone and then, suddenly, class was over.

Gathering her things, she made her way to Potions, wondering what was in store for her.

Riku set her stuff up on the table staying to her side, when the professor came in she began to write on the board. "I expect all this written down before we begin I will give you all five minutes to copy what is on the board before we start the class officially" ,the woman told the class. Riku didn't hesitate on copying down the notes, when she was finished she set her pen down and waited for everyone else. After the class had finished writing down the notes and their time was up the professor opened her book and began to look through the pages. "Alright class turn to page twenty five in your textbooks, today we're going to brew a simple sleeping potion, if brewed correctly it will make the person taking it fall into a very pleasant sleep, what I want everyone to do is go over to the cupboards and grab the ingredients listed in your books" ,the professor told them. Riku thought it was quite odd that the woman didn't introduce herself but she decided not to think on it and just do as she was told. When she was done collecting the ingredients she made her way back over to her table and set them down.

Having gotten herself settled into the classroom she quickly took down the notes. Somewhere between that and getting up to gather her ingredients, she found that the chibi she had named Chidori had made itself comfortable on her shoulder without even the slightest notice. Mortified, she quickly tried putting it back into her bag only to find it starting to squawk and vibrate so badly, that it nearly knocked the stand she had set the bag on completely over.

"Chidori!" she hissed, only causing the creature to redouble its efforts. With a sigh she released it which it took as a chance to lauch itself into her chest so hard it nearly knocked her from the stool. Cradling the thing she stroked it tenderly and murmured to it soothingly before letting it take its place on her shoulder.

Turing to look up, she found most of the class and the teacher staring at her. "What." the teacher started, "Is that?" Nearly flushing in embarrassment she said "Sorry ma'am. Its a Chibi. I promise its for a class, not a pet." she said, not wanting to ruin the fun for the other students that would be attending Rikket's class tomorrow. Glowering at her, the teacher picked up her roll and said "All right class, we are going to pair up into partners for this lesson." Going down the roll she started calling off names then as the students were paired of, she called the next paring. On down the list she went until she got to Hikaru. "Hikaru, Riku?" she said. Hikaru stood, Chidori purring on her shoulder and vibrating contently.

Riku listened as the professor spoke she wondered who her partner was, she hadn't really talked to anyone since arriving at the school so she didn't know anyone's names. When the girl walked over Riku gave a shy smile then continued with setting up, she glanced at the creature on her shoulder, it was an interesting thing to say the least. Riku didn't know much about Chibi's she was more into the larger creatures like Griffins and dragons but she had to admit it was cute. She wasn't really sure how to start a conversation having always been a very quiet person so she figured she would let her partner start a conversation, that's if she even wanted to talk to her.

As she approached the young woman, she looked her over and gave her a warm smile. "You must be Riku, huh? Nice to meet you." She said offering her hand in greeting. "Don't mind the fuzz ball. There is no telling just what the hell It will do." Suddenly Chidori started vibrating on her shoulder and beaming big blue puppydog eyes at her. Laughing she couldn't help but reach up and stroke it.
"I should probably tell you now," She said cracking a smile at her partner, "There is a good chance I'm going to blow us all to hell. Any teachers you want to take along with us?"

Potions really REALLY weren't her thing. She could probably handle a simple sleeping draught but there was no reason to be so up tight about herself that she couldn't poke a little fun with her weaknesses.

"Nice to meet you too" ,Riku replied kindly shaking the girl's hand. "He's quite cute, I dunno much about chibi's only what I've read but seeing one in person is pretty cool". She had hoped she didn't sound to nervous while talking, Riku was by far not a timid person just quiet. "It's ok if you don't do to well at potions I can help you they forced us to learn how to brew potions in the last school I went to" ,Riku told her. "We'll have whoever takes this potion sleeping like a baby for hours, by the way don't follow the text book it doesn't tell you how to do it right some of these ingredients need to be ground not crushed".

Grinning she listened to the woman "Yeah, strangely at my last school every time I followed the book, the potion bombed." looking over the ingredients list she checked them. "Wonder if we get to keep these when we are done?" said off handedly as Chidori suddenly jumped from her shoulder onto the table and began, what she could only hope, to sniff the ingredients before spinning in place rapidly "Fuzz ball?" Hikaru asked the littler critter as it started spinning faster and faster then suddenly shot straight up in the air and floated down slowly. Catching it in her hands she said "Guess it wasn't to your liking huh? Try snacking on me."

"Well that's because the book goes by what a basic cookbook's measurements would be but what the writer's of the book fail to see is we're not dealing with some sort of soup we're dealing with potions the two are very different" ,Riku told her. She didn't want to sound like a know it all but she did want to help out and seeing as she was in a red suit most students would probably expect random tips from her. She watched as the furry little creature jumped up in the air after sniffing the ingredients on the table, "I don't think he likes it because that's a very bitter ingredient here let him try this" ,Riku handed her a mint leaf to try and give the small creature. "The mint is only for flavor in this particular brew I grabbed extra just in case it came out too bitter he may like the sweetness of it". Granted the creature could probably only smell it but the scent may calm it down.

Grinning she held the little critter in her hands as it took a whiff of the mint "Think he likes it." she said as he started vibrating. "Its a real shame about them though." she said sadly, cradling the creature close after letting it sniff the leaf for a few moments. Pushing the though from her mind, she smiled and said "Okay lets brew this potion......How are we supposed to test it?" The answer pretty obvious, but still the question merited asking. She honestly wondered if the teacher would make them test the potions on each other, hence the partnerships. It made sense but still.....

Riku watched as the critter reacted to the mint and smiled. When Hikaru asked how they would be testing them Riku looked at her and smiled, "Well I heard the professor has us each try it one at a time and our partner monitors our sleep like I would take it then you would have to monitor how I sleep and take notes, say if I tossed and turned or had nightmares then something went wrong with the brewing process, this potion is not only supposed to put you into a deep sleep but if brewed perfectly it will make you have pleasant dreams as well" ,Riku told her in response. "So let's make this perfect so we have a pleasant dream when we take it". She smiled to show she wasn't being demanding at all.

Uh-oh, she thought then looked down at the little guy in her arms. What had Professor Rikket said? Something about bad dreams and misfortunes with the darker ones? Wait, was it before or after maturity? She couldn't recall. Mentally shrugging the thought aside she looked up at the woman smiling. "Well, I just hope no one made a poison instead. Otherwise someone wont be waking up." She knew for a fact that the high school level potions class had taught poisons and paralytics when she attended, so there was no telling what the college level taught. "Well lets get this barbeque going. I'm suddenly thirsty." Grinning she looked over the instructions for the potion and nodded to herself. Grabbing two chairs she set them beside the table as they got to work.

At the mention of someone making a poison Riku laughed a little, she knew the worse that could happen was someone would pass out until an antidote was given. There wasn't much you could mess up on with this potion but if anyone did it wouldn't be fatal unless nobody made an antidote. "If anyone gets poisoned the professor has an antidote in her cupboard it's a light pink liquid if one of us needs to grab it it's in a long cylinder and it's administered by dumping it down the throat of the victim and if that don't work you'll have to inject it" ,Riku told her. When Hikaru grabbed the chairs Riku smiled and thanked her before sitting down and getting to work.

Grinning, she rolled her eyes at the woman. "I doubt anyone will really get poisoned." She said as she settled into her seat. She looked over the list and tried her best to follow Riku's lead on making the potion. Soon they had two bottles of yellow liquid sitting nest to the cauldrons. Hikaru looked down at Chidori who sat comfortably in her lap "Give me Offensive Magic any day." she murmured to the critter, to which it simply shifted around in her lap and closed its eyes.

"Okay," she said to Riku. "I think that's all there is to it." Picking up her potion she looked over the dosing instructions in the manual hoping at least that was right and took the required amount out in a dropper. Oddly it didn't seem to call for as much as she thought it would and the listing said it would only take a few minutes to go into effect. "So who's first?" She asked looking at her partner.

When they had finished brewing the potion and bottled it up Riku raised her hand to get the professor's attention. "Very nice you two, the consistency is good it's the right thickness, and color all you two need to do now is test it, so....who wants to take a nap first"? The professor asked right after Hikaru did. Riku looked over at her partner, "Who do you think should go first? We're both going to have to try each other's so it doesn't really matter to me, I'll go first if you want" ,Riku offered.

Shrugging at Riku she said "I don't mind going first. I could use a little nap after classes today. Offensive Magic really took it out of me." Reaching for Riku's potion, she uncorked it and brought it to her lips. Taking a small amount, no more than a few drops, she swallowed and leaned back in her chair. Picking up Chidori she eyed the creature and said "Chidori." her voice suddenly getting thick, like her tongue was swollen. "If any one.. Tries anything..." she thought for a moment, her mind becoming hazy. She found it hard to focus all of a sudden. "Pelt them... Into... Submission..." the last word tapering off as her head slowly began to lower. Soon she was out.

At first she saw nothing. Soon the blackness of her mind cleared and she found herself laying in a grass meadow with a woman who's face wouldn't come into focus for some reason. A gentle breeze blew, trailing a wave through the grass and tugged at her hair. The woman beside her shifted and gently slid her arms around Hikaru's waist causing her to blush slightly. Suddenly she found herself laying her head against the woman's shoulder.

"What has you so distracted." the woman asked in a warm melodic voice. Hikaru merely lay there, shaking her head. "Nothing." The woman's hand slid to her lips and her thumb ran the length of them. "I can always tie you up and make sure I have your complete attention." the woman said as Hikaru kissed her thumb softly

"No its okay." Hikaru said. All she wanted was to lay there in the woman's arms. The warmth of her feeling so good against her body. "I promise you have me completely." she found herself saying....

Each set of two got one cot for the person taking the potion to fall asleep on. When Hikaru took the potion Riku made sure she was laid down comfortably before grabbing her pen and parchment to take notes. Everything seemed to be going good, she wasn't tossing and turning nor was she giving off any signs of stress during her slumber, in fact she looked completely peaceful. The professor walked over and observed Hikaru's sleep for a few moments then looked to Riku. "Very good Riku if your partners potion has the same affect on you then you both with get a very good grade" ,she said before turning to check on another pair of students.

Back
Top Bottom