Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

On the Outside, Looking In.

Peripherie

Star
Tuesday, June 26th

I was driving home from the store today and the the sky was so breathtakingly blue that I had to stop the car. As I leaned against my back bumper I was overwhelmed by the sight of the late morning sky. Today was sunny with a flawless blue background with dozens of white fluffy clouds that floated individually across the sky, hiding the sun but not taking away from the bright brilliance of it.

The sky seemed to go on forever but I knew that past the relatively think layer of atmosphere was the rest of the universe, deep and dark. As if I was starting to doubt the effects of gravity, I braced my hands on the bumper. Holding on. I have a crude, basic understanding of how infinitely massive the universe is but most moments I am consumed by the events in my own life. Trivial, mundane, and ultimately insignificant they may be. When I look into the sky, I am pulled back into the reality of how tiny I am in comparison to the rest of existence.

And yet I feel oddly brave. Brave in the knowledge that my actions - though important to my own life and the lives of those around me, are largely uneccesarry. My triumphs and failures are my own. It's comforting. Like the first time I rode a bike without training wheels. My father holding on to the back of the seat, pushing me along. Life will go on regardless of wether or not I do what is expected of me. A burden is lifted and I feel free to reach my own limits, however far and high I wish to find them.

When I was sure I would not drift off into the heavens I let go of my bumper and got back into my car. On the way home, I did my best to hold onto this feeling of being small but being brave. I made a promise to myself to look up into the sky more often, just not while driving.

Back
Top Bottom