Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Golden Shields ( Katy1008 & CrimsonMaster )

Jack turned back towards Tom who was standing there smiling. " She is really a lot like you Jack.....The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. " Tom said as Evie disappeared into the kitchen. " That doesn't seem to count in every family.......Your father was quite the kingpin before he retired......He is still retired......Right? " Jack said to which Tom replied that his father was still retired from the crime business. Richard "Rick" Reed who was Tom's father had at one time ran one of the biggest criminal gangs in Los Angeles. Rick as he was known was heavy into illegal gambling, racketeering and prostitution. He owned several brothels around LA and a large number of gambling dens. These dens were where the bookies worked taking the bets on almost any kind of sporting event. Rick Reed was never into selling drugs of any kind, nor did he murder anyone. Sure, there were times when someone had to be killed, but these were always other hoods who were trying to muscle in on Rick territories. Rick Reed retired from the crime business and now lived peacefully in Bel-Air an affluent residential community in the hills on the Westside of the City of Los Angeles.

The two former partners continued to talk and just as Evie had thought....they talked about her. Jack wanted to know how Evie was really doing. Tom said that Evie was one of the finest detectives he had ever worked with. She could be headstrong at times, but that was nothing new for Tom since he and Jack were partners for years. He told Jack that Evie did a great job on the undercover operation last night. Of course he left out that Evie had taken a John into a nearby alley and fucked him for money. Tom would never tell anyone what Evie had done, that would always be between them. The two former partners were enjoying their talk, it wasn't often that they had the chance to speak since Jack was promoted to Lieutenant and took over as commander of the Gangs and Narcotics Division.

" Well Reed.......It seems that you blew a chance to catch the Boulevard killer last night. " Tom heard the all to familiar voice of Lt. Finn coming from behind him. He turned around and not only saw Finn, but Doctor Bolin standing there smiling. They seemed quite pleased that Tom had failed to catch the killer last night. Tom wanted to cut into Finn, but he had more respect for Ed Connors and his family, this wasn't the time or the place for an argument. " I need some air. " Tom said to Jack who nodded his head. He had just turned and walked passed Finn & Bolin when Finn spoke out again. " You know Sergeant.....It's only two more visits to Doctor Bolin before I can strip you of your badge. " Finn said with great smugness in his voice. Tom spun around quickly and almost lost control. " Lieutenant.......If you do take my badge.....You can stick it straight up your ass. " Tom growled out in a low tone then he walked towards the front door and left the house. Jack looked at Finn, his eyes were burning with anger. " You have no class Finn......You know damn well that Tom Reed is one of the best cops this department has. " Jack said trying his best to keep his voice down. He moved away from Finn and Doctor Bolin, heading over to where Lt. Tamura was standing.

Tom took a deep breathe as he stood on the front steps of the Connors house. He slowly moved down from the steps and walked over to where his car was parked. Tom leaned his back against the car's rear passenger side door. Tom thought about last night and how one simple little thing ruined their chance at nailing the killer. Two damn black SUV's showed up almost at the same time. Tom was slowly looking around as his thoughts stayed on the events from last night. Then his eyes locked on the license plate of a car which was parked in the driveway of the Connors home. The plate read PSYCHO D-2. " D-2? " Tom said out loud then he moved towards the front of his car. He opened the passenger side door and seat down in the front seat. Tom looked back at the plate while reaching for the mic of his police radio. " 1 William 56.......requesting wants and warrants on California plate........Paul.....Sam....Young.....Charles.....Henry.....Ocean......David......Dash 2. " Tom then waited for the dispatcher to return with the information. She did within moments telling Tom that the owner of that car was Doctor Arthur Bolin. Doctor Bolin lived in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles. Tom thought for a moment, he remembered that crazy look in Bolin's eyes when Tom challenged him. Tom then asked dispatch to run the same plate again, but this time he added D-1 instead of the D-2. That plate also came back to Doctor Bolin and that vehicle was a newer model black Chevy Tahoe.

Evie took a long drink from the small bottle of beer she had picked up in the kitchen. She closed her eyes as she felt the cool liquid slip down her throat. Just as she was thinking she was tired, she was taken by surprise by a yawn. Maybe she should have gone with the black coffee she thought as she drew her hand down over her face.

"A week on the job and already showing the strain. I don't know. I thought you'd last longer than this." Evie turned around and smiled.

"Hey, Steve." and then she got caught by a second longer yawn. "Sorry. My day started about 36 hours ago." She gave her brother a quick hug.

"Yeah...so I heard. Something about a black dress." Evie laughed out loud. "I should have known that that would be the story. Is James here too?"

"No. He's in court. Giving evidence on a narco bust. He's coming round for lunch on Sunday though. You should come too. Catherine won't mind." Evie nodded wondering whether she would have Sunday off. "Have you seen Dad?" he asked.

"Yeah. I left him and Tom Reed catching up on old times."

"Reed just went out front for some air. Had a run in with Finn and that shrink. Something about blowing an opportunity to catch the Boulevard killer last night."

"Shit. You're kidding. Finn is desperate to get Reed out. I don't know why. But he's after him. Trying to use that shrink to do it. What did Reed do?"

Steve shrugged. "Politely told the Lt that if he took his badge he could shove it up his ass."

"oh great. I'd better go find him." She handed her brother the half empty bottle odded a farewell, before walking round the side of the house. As she came out front he saw Reed leaning against their car with the radio in hand. She walked down the driveway noticing the Chevy Camro parked there. Nice car she thought to herself. And then she noticed the plate. D2. She looked puzzled for a moment and kept walking to where Reed was. When she was a few feet away she spoke to him.

"Reed. Have you seen that plate!"

Tom looked up at Evie as she came walking up towards the car asking if he had seen the plate on the Chevy Camaro. He had a sly smile on his face as he nodded his head. " You bet.......And I have more then that. " Tom said as he swung his legs into the car then closed the passenger side door. " Get in.....You're driving.........We're heading for Brentwood to check something out. " Tom added while he placed the microphone back on the hook near the radio. He felt pretty sure that Doctor Bolin was the Boulevard killer, but they would need hard evidence that such an upstanding citizen was a killer. Tom & Evie would be busy over the next few hours checking who Doctor Arthur Bolin really was. The first detail was to check his home for the black Chevy Tahoe. Tom wanted too see it for himself, then they would return to the station and check on Bolin's department file. They would however find that file was empty thanks to Lt. Finn. This would meant the two detectives would have to do a background check on Bolin themselves.

Doctor Bolin walked around the house talking with many of the officers and detectives who were at the wake. He even took the time to speak with Linda and her children about the death of their husband and father. Bolin had no idea that Tom & Evie were now on to him and his Tuesday night activities.

Taken a little by surprise, Evie just about managed to catch the keys as Reed tossed them in her direction. She hesitated for a moment but then moved around to the drivers side, undoing her jacket buttons as she did so, and climbed in.

"Are you going to tell me what's in Brentwood then or do I have to guess?" Reed filled her in on the rest of the radio message. "Bolin? Really? Jeez..." She couldnt help but start to smile and then she noticed Reed looking at her clearly puzzled. She shrugged and looked just a little sheepish. "What? Can you imagine what Finn is gonna say when he finds out. He's tryin' to use Bolin to take away your badge and we're about to tell him that Bolin - a man he appointed - is the Boulevard killer. Tell me you dont find that just a little bit amusing."

Evie drove a few more miles, wondering whether or not she should ask, but eventually she decided that in the circumstances, it wasnt entirely out of order. She just needed to find the right words.

"So...tell me its none of my business if you like Reed, but... exactly what did you do to Finn that makes him want you out so bad?"

It wasn't that Tom didn't find the fact that Finn had appointed a man to a position who could very well be a killer amusing. It was that Tom was busy think about what Captain MacDonald & the Chief of Police would say when they found out about Doctor Bolin. Evie had driven almost halfway to Brentwood before she finally asked why Finn wanted Tom out of the department so badly. Tom turned his head slight then gave a small chuckle. " I was born. " Tom said with a sarcastic laugh. He would have thought by now that Evie had heard the stories about his father and she would understand why Finn disliked Tom so much. But since Evie didn't seem to know the details of Tom's past, he shared them with her. " Finn hates me because my father is Richard Reed.......He was at one time a very powerful boss in LA's criminal underworld........Finn can't accept that the son of a mob boss became a police officer........He feels that having me on the forces is a black eye on the LAPD.......Plus he thinks that just because my father was a criminal.......I must be also...........He pretty much thinks of me as a dirty cop. " Tom laid out the reasons why Finn wanted him gone from the police department. Most everyone in the department knew who Tom's father was and many of those officers were friends with Richard Reed.

Evie drove a bit longer then pulled up into the driveway of the address given as Doctor Bolin's home. The house was large and white on the outside with black shutters. There was a large garage sitting at the left side of the house. Tom couldn't help but laugh when he noticed that Bolin had left the garage door open. " With that garage door open......The garage is now a 3 sided structure.......Like a car port. " Tom said as Evie brought the car to a stop just in front of the large open door. Right in plain sight, as clear as the day it's self was sitting a black Chevy Tahoe with the license PSYCHO D-1. " I do love it when the bad guys make it so easy. " Tom said again with a laugh, he was clearly amused with how this was working out. Tom said that they should return to the station and have a look at Doctor Bolin's work file, but he did have one request. Since they were in Brentwood, he wanted to stop in Bel Air which was not far away and see his father. Tom then told Evie how to find his father's house.

The idea that Finn could be right never even entered Evie's head. Reed had been her Dad's partner for a decade. It just wasn't possible. But that wasn't to say that she wasn't surprised. She couldn't believe that after all that time her Dad didn't know about his partner's father, but he had never said anything - even when he first found out that she was going be partnered with the man. She wondered whether he was just letting her make her own mind up or whether he simply thought it was bullshit and therefore didn't warrant any discussion. She couldn't help wondering what that conversation must have been like. Telling her own family that she had been accepted into the Academy was a genuine surprise for them all but one which pleased them - particularly her Dad. She couldn't help wondering whether Richard Reed had the same feelings when his son gave him the same information. And what was it that made a young Thomas Reed decide that rather than going into the family business, he was going to go into a business which was the complete antithesis.

She turned into Bolin's street and slowed down, driving slowly looking for thehouse number. In the end they didnt need to look for the number. The Tahoe was practically on display for them.

"We should rule out the possibility that someone else has access to the car. Wife. Girlfriend. Boyfriend. Do I remember hearing he was divorced?" The question was as much to herself as it was to Reed. She was talking a stream of consciousness more than anything. When Reed then suggested they went back to the station, she nodded in silence, but then when he suggested that they take the scenic route back via Bel Air, she looked around at him.

"Why Detective Sergeant Reed? Introducing me to your father... this early in our relationship?" She smiled as put the car in gear and turned a 180 in the street to head back to the main highway.

As Tom had said before, Evie was very much like her father Jack. They even had the same sense of humor which pleased Tom. He and Jack had been more then just partners, they were friends. Becoming friends was easy when you spend up to 10 hours or more each day, 5 days a week riding in the same car.It's quite uncommon when partners don't become close while working so closely together. Tom wasn't expecting Evie to become close with him since he was just her training officer. Just like when Evie graduated from the academy, her first tour of duty in a black & white was with a training officer. New detectives always have a training officer until their probationary period was over. After Evie's probationary period had ended she would then be able to pick her own partner, or she could stay partnered with Tom, the choice was hers to make.

" You've got your dad's sense of humor.......You'll go far in the department with that.....He did. " Tom said back jokingly as Evie drove on towards Bel Air. It wasn't long before they reached the affluent residential community known as Bel Air. Bel Air is home to numerous Hollywood celebrities and high-profile corporate executives and together with Beverly Hills and Holmby Hills it forms the Platinum Triangle of Los Angeles neighborhoods. Tom told Evie to turn right into the next driveway.....and this was the sight she saw.

forbfleurdelys.jpg

Evie turned in where Reed told her and then hit the brakes hard. The car stopped suddenly and Evie just stared straight ahead.

"Sweet Jesus!" She turned her head slowly and looked at Reed. "I don't think I'm dressed properly to go in there. Is there a side entrance I'm supposed to use or something?"

Tom's body jerked hard forward when Evie slammed on the breaks. He was going to ask her why she had been that when Evie asked about a side entrance. Tom just shook his head while laughing. He told her to please drive up to the house which she did. " Come on......Let's go inside. " Tom said as he exited from the car then moved to the front doors. He turned slowly once reaching the door just too see if Evie was coming. She was and Tom opened the right door then walked inside. He kept the door open until Evie came inside looking all around. Suddenly a man appeared greeting the two detectives. " Good afternoon Master Thomas.......Good afternoon Miss.......Your father is having lunch out near the pool. " This man was obviously the Butler of the house who was speaking. He then led them through the house and out to where the large pool was. Sitting at a table was a very handsome older man. Richard Reed was in his late 50's, his hair was dark like Tom's with just some grey on the sides. He was just a little shorter then his son, but built very much the same. Richard Reed was sitting reading a newspaper while drinking coffee when Tom & Evie came out from the house.

" Hey Dad. " Tom said as his father dropped the paper then stood up smiling. " I was wondering if you had forgotten where you were born. " Rick Reed said jokingly to his son, then his eyes caught sight of Evie. " Well....well......Did you finally get yourself a new girlfriend? " Rick said as he playfully elbowed Tom in the side.

Evie parked up and climbed out of the car, still trying to take in the enormity of the house in front of her. When she realised that Tom was waiting for her at the main entrance, holding the door. she quickened her pace, trotting across the gravel driveway and up the two or three steps. Inside the main entrance hallway was a cool peach marble, giving the whole place an almost Mediterranean feel to it. Before she had the chance to say anything, an elderly man in a black dress coat came up to them both. He was incredibly polite and having greeted both of them, he led them through part of the cavernous residence and back out into the sunshine and a lush highly colourful garden.

It didn't take much to see the resemblance between father and son. And Richard Reed was almost as good looking as his son. Evie hung back a little not wishing to intrude on a family moment. But when Rick saw her and teased his son, she felt her cheeks flush a little. Once Reed had introduced her, she stepped forward, her open jacket swinging freely, and she held out her hand.

"Afternoon Mr. Reed. Pleasure to meet you Sir."

Tom took a moment to clear his throat when his father elbowed him in the side. He had expected this from his dad since it had been sometime with any kind of real date for Tom. " Dad....This is my partner......Detective Evelyn Taylor. " Tom stepped aside letting his father move forward to greet Evie. " The pleasure is mine Detective Taylor. " Rick said as he reached out taking Evie's hand. He raised her hand up then placed a kiss on the back of Evie's hand. " Please.......Come and sit........We can have coffee while we visit. " Rick then showed Evie to the table where he was sitting. Tom followed alone as his dad led Evie over. Rick poured coffee for both Evie & Tom then he sat down. " As I recall.......Tom had another partner named Taylor........Whatever happened to him? " Rick asked as his eyes moved up and down over Evie's body. He noticed how fit she was, a very striking woman with a great body.

Rick was in great shape himself. He swam 20 laps everyday day and ran 10 miles. His home had it's own gym and Rick had his own personal trainer who was a beautiful young woman and who would be coming for Rick's workout soon.

"Evie, please. That's what everyone calls me. Evelyn is for Father MacIntyre on Sunday mornings or my Dad when I've done something I shouldn't have. Evie is fine Sir." she said as Rick held onto her and, kissed t softly, and let his thumb graze softly over the back of her's. She smiled politely as he led her to the table and held the chair for her as she sat down.

"That would be my father Sir. Jack Taylor. He was your son's partner for long time before he moved from Robbery Homicide." Evie felt Reed's father looking at her, and she was sure he was checking her out, head to toe and back up again. She tried not to notice but she felt herself blush a little once again. The man was practically 30years older than she was but he was no less attractive fr it. She couldn't help but gaze up at him as he poured out a steaming cup of coffee for her. She couldn't help wonder how good life must be that a man that age could look that good and that fit. She thought that there were probably cops half hs age who were less fit.

" Ah yes.......I remember Jack......A great detective and a close friend to you Tom if I'm remembering right. " Rick said as he looked towards his son then Rick returned his gaze back to Evie. Tom agreed that Jack was and still is a close friend. " Well as a tax paying citizen it's good to know that the police department not only hires smart but very pretty officers......Oh and please.......Call me Rick. " Rick was being his usual self, he was charming and hitting on Evie. Dating younger women was something that Rick enjoyed. He enjoyed showing off how fit he was in the bed. Rick had only been married once and that was to Tom's mother. She died several years ago from cancer. Since then, Rick spent his time dating women unlike his son who seemed stuck in the mud since his wife was killed.

" In my day the police weren't as pretty......I sure would have enjoyed getting busted by you Evie. " Rick reached for his coffee cup then took a drink before placing it back down. " I'm sure that you've heard about my shady past.......So I'll not bore you with details that you already know. " Rick's hand had moved over and once again his thumb was rubbing over the back of Evie's hand.

"Thank you... Rick." She looked at her hand as he continued to hold it and then looked back up at him as he continued to tower over her. And then she shrugged a liitle. "if...erm... If you'd like to make a confession Sir then I could bust you now if you'd like. I'm sure it wouldn't do my career any harm. But the way I hear it, back in the day, a confession was the only way any cop was going to get Richard Reed and make it stick." she looked down at her hand again as she felt Richard's thumb caressing it again and she made no attempt to withdraw it.

The man had her transfixed. Mesmerised. Most of the men she spent time with we're either cops or cons and last night was the first real action she had had in months. Evie probably knew she was being hit on and if she'd thought about it she would have tried to politely pull away, but she wasn't thinking and she liked the attention that this powerful confident man was giving her.

Rick laughed out loud when Evie said any him confessing then she would be happy to bust him. " You've got spunk......I like that. " Rick said as his smile grew wider. He then sat back into his chair while still keeping a hold of Evie's hand. " So what brings you two here? " Rick asked as his eyes darted from Evie towards his son then back again. " We were in the area......I thought that it would be a good time to stop......I wanted you to meet my new partner. " Tom looked towards his father, he knew what his father was doing. Richard Reed had quite the rep as a ladies man. Tom was feeling a bit jealous, but he wasn't sure if he should be feeling that way about his partner. " Tracking down that Boulevard killer? " Rick asked even though he kept a close eye on any stories in the newspaper about his son.

Tom replied that they were indeed checking up on a suspect. He also said that they still had some work to do on the case, but he felt that they would have it wrapped up soon. The conversation lasted for another 15 minutes before Rick trainer showed up. A very pretty young woman who was around 23 years old. Her name was Tiffany, she had short brown hair, tight fitting shorts and one of those half shirts that just covered her tits.

Tom said that he and Evie should get back to the office. Rick rose up and again kissed Evie's hand. " Please feel free to stop by any time Evie......My house is your house. " Rick said following the kiss, he then handed his son two tickets to the this weekends Dodger game. Rick suggested that Tom and Evie go and have some fun. Tom thanked his father then the two detectives departed and headed back to the Central Station.

For the most part, Evie sat and listened to the perfectly normal, pleasant conversation between Reed and his dad and for most of it, Rick continued to hold her hand. When Tiffany arrived, Evie had been polite, nodding and smiling and shaking hands, when she was introduced to her. Tiffany looked everybit the LA 'personal trainer' and much to her surprise - and a little shame - Evie realized that she was feeling a little jealous. Evie was fit... she ran almost every morning before she drove into work... and for all she had the right kind of curves in the right places, she didn't have Tiffany's figure. And she could never get away with a cropped t-shirt like that. Deep down she knew that Tiffany's job would bore the crap out of her in about three days, but right then... for a fleeting second, it seem an attractive career choice.

When they arrived back at the station, Evie went and changed out of her dress uniform back into black pants suit and a v-neck t-shirt When she stepped out of the locker room, Reed didn’t seem to be there, but someone else was. Waiting at her desk, reading a piece of paper which she assumed probably the report that she had written on last night’s event, was Lieutenant Finn. As she walked up, he put the paper down on the desk. She braced herself.

“Detective Taylor.”

“Lieutenant Finn. Good afternoon.” Evie couldn’t fail to notice the long look Finn gave her bust, but she didn’t say anything.

“I wonder if I could have a moment or two of your time.”

“Of course, Lieutenant.”

“Walk with me.” Evie cringed at the platitude but she did as he asked and they finished up walking to his office along the corridor from the squad room. He asked her polite questions about how she was settling in and how she shouldn’t in any way feel under pressure in light of the achievements of her father and brothers. They were all fine officers and he would sure she would make an equally valuable contribution. Evie knew that this wasn’t really what Finn wanted to talk about, but she was patient. When they arrived at his office, he invited her to sit down. She felt him watching her again as she did so, but once seated she simply looked up and smiled.

“I need your help Detective... or might I call you Evie?” Evie nodded in response before asking the obvious question. “My help? How could I possibly help you Lieutenant?”

“Well... you are what... a third generation cop...”

“Fourth actually.”

“Fourth. Of course. And so you know how important reputation is. Our own individual reputation. But all the reputation of the Force.” Evie looked a little puzzled but said nothing. Finn continued.

“As I said before, I am sure you want to earn the best possible reputation as a good, honest, detective. I know you want to make your father and your family proud of you. And well... I can help you with that.” Finn paced around the room... around Evie’s chair as he spoke to her. Evie was still waiting for the other ball to drop – there was something else to come yet.

“I’m sure you agree that anything that damages the reputation of the force damages us all. I know your father believes that and so when we see things that are likely to risk that kind of damage, well, then we have an obligation to do something about it, don’t you agree Evie?”

“Sounds perfectly reasonable.”

“I knew you would understand. And so... so we have to work together. You and me.” He put his hand on Evie’s shoulder and squeezed softly and then he took a deep breath.

“Tom Reed is not our kind of police officer Evie.” And there is was. That was what Finn was building up to.

“Tom Reed doesn’t deserve to wear the same badge as you and I do. Now I know your instinct is to defend the man who is your partner. That’s what partners are supposed to do. But he is not going to do the same for you. I promise. He looks after himself and the interests of his father. And one of these days, he is going to hurt us all. Us and your father and Steven and James. The whole police family. You understand what I am saying don’t you Evie?” Again, he squeezed her shoulder.

“Oh yes, Lieutenant. I know exactly what you’re saying. But how can I help you. I mean I’ve been on the job for a week.”

“And I can already see such great potential in you. I can make things happen for you. But we have to help each other. What you can do is get me information. Reed will never truly trust you, but you can still provide me with valuable information.”

“So... you just want me to report to you about anything that Reed does which might damage our reputation?”

“Precisely.”

At that moment, Finn’s phone rang. He picked it up. There was silence for a moment as he listened to whomever was on the other end and then Finn told the caller to hang on and he put his hand over the mouthpiece.

“Do you mind Evie? I think we understand each other now anyway, don’t we and remember that my door is always open and you can also call me anytime.” He reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a business card which he handed to her. Evie took it noticing that his home phone number had also be hand written across the back of it. She nodded politely and walked out of the office tucking the card in her back pocket.

Reed was sitting back at his desk when she returned to the squad room.

"Everthing ok" he asked.

"Sure."

Once back at the station, Tom had gone up to files and records for Doctor Bolin's personnel file. He returned to his desk with the file while Evie was talking with Lt. Finn in his office. Tom wasn't surprised too see that Bolin's file was pretty much empty. There was no background check report, no report on Bolin's mental condition, nothing but his job application. This certainly was odd, but somehow Tom felt that Lt. Finn was pulling a fast one to get a friend a job. When Evie reappeared in the squad room, Tom placed the almost empty file on her desk. He pointed out the lack of information on Doctor Bolin. He then said that they would have to do the background check on Bolin themselves.

Tom was ready to run Bolin's name through NCIC which was a country wide database used by law enforcement to check the backgrounds on people who could have police records elsewhere. He noticed a odd look on Evie face, perhaps it was from the lack of sleep, or maybe this whole day could be getting to her. It had been a busy and emotional day. " Are you okay Evie?.........If you need to talk about something.......I'm always here for ya. " Tom offered as he leaned forward just a bit on his desk.

"What? No no I'm fine honestly. But thanks." She smiled back at Reed across the desk. As she looked at him, she could see the family resemblance with his father and suddenly her memory shifted back to the visit. She could almost still feel his hand in hers and her smile lingered a little as she remembered him flirting with her. You could say Evie had a thing for older men, although she had never been with a guy quite the age of Rick Reed. She couldn't help thinking though that most guys his age weren't that fit. Most guys his age didn't have Tiffany.

"Your Dad seems nice... For a mobster I mean." she was sill smiling, teasing Reed just a little. "He doesn't seem to have any problem with your career choice."

Tom let out a laugh when Evie said that his father seems nice for a mobster. Jack had said something very close back when he first met Tom's father. " My Dad isn't a mobster any more. " Tom said giving Evie a smile as he started to type Doctor Bolin's name into his computer. " My father has always been very proud of me becoming a police officer.......In fact he retired from the mob so there would be no conflict of interests between him or I. " Tom added as he started his search into Doctor Bolin's background.

The search didn't take long and Tom found that Bolin had been arrested 6 times for spousal abuse in Phoenix Arizona. The Phoenix Police Department had a lot of information on Doctor Bolin past. Tom found out that Bolin's now ex wife still lived in Phoenix. He was able to get her address and a current phone number that he handed to Evie. Tom asked Evie if she would call Bolin's ex wife. After her divorce from Bolin, Tracy went back to using her maiden name which was Barns. Tom continued to look through the information that the PPD had on Bolin.

Evie looked at Reed for a long moment, her mind working through things. Reed had to have been a cop for 15...maybe 20 years. His father was maybe 55... 60... So he retired when he was 40ish... And he still lived like royalty. Either he saved a lot of money from his former businesses or he won the lottery. Although... when she and Reed had first been taken out to where Rick was, he had made some comment about Reed forgetting where he was born. Which meant that the house was acquired when Rick was in his 20s. Obviously the man had been good at what he did, criminal or not. Or the family was independently wealthy. Her father was never one for gossip and he didnt often talk about his job to his children when they were children. Jack Taylor also made a point of judging a man on the basis of his own actions and not those of his relations. But even saying that... Richard Reed was certainly a charasmstic, charming and extremely likeable man... at least as far as Evie could tell.

When Reed handed her the computer print outs of Bolin's arrest sheet and the details of his wife, Evie's thought procceses were interupted. She flicked through them as Reed outlined what there was. She nodded and dialed the number. "Are we worried at all that she might get on the phone to Bolin; tip him off? What do we expect her to tell us?"

Tom said that he didn't think Tracy would tell Bolin anything. It was doubtful that Tracy would tell her ex husband anything since he treated her so badly when they were married. He also added that she could at least give then some background on who Bolin real was. She could give them details on why he had beaten her so badly that she had him arrested 6 times during their marriage.

Tom continued his search of the Phoenix Police Departments database on Doctor Bolin. He found Bolin's psychiatrist in Phoenix Arizona. Tom quickly picked up his phone and called Doctor Rice's office. Doctor Rice wouldn't tell Tom anything that he and Doctor Bolin had talked about....not without a warrant. But he did tell Tom who Bolin's new Doctor was in Los Angeles. Doctor Rice was friends with another psychiatrist in LA by the name of Doctor Sidney Freeman. This was who Bolin saw now and Doctor Rice even gave Tom Doctor Freeman's office number. After thanking Doctor Rice for his help, Tom hung up and dialed Doctor Freeman's office.

Doctor Freeman's secretary told Tom that Freeman was out of town on an extended vacation. He had left 3 weeks ago which dated back to when the first murder took place. She said that while Doctor Freeman was away, Doctor Stacy Campbell was handling all of his patents which included Doctor Bolin. Freeman's secretary then gave Tom the number where Stacy Campbell could be reached. Tom next call was to Doctor Stacy Campbell, but he didn't ask her any questions out right. He knew that she would hold back since Bolin was a patents. So Tom just asked if he and his partner could come to her office and ask some questions about a case they were working on. Tom knew that they had Bolin by the short hairs and he wasn't about to mess things up now.

Fifteen minutes later Evie put the phone down, finishing the convocation with the former Mrs Tracy Bolingbrook. She looked at Reed who was staring back at her expectantly.

"That is someone the DA is going to want to put on the stand when it comes to the trial of Dr Bolin!" Evie pointed at the phone for a second. Then she yawned, apologised, and got up. As she started to tell Reed what the woman had said, she stretched out her back, picked up her coffee cup and then Reed's and walked the short distance to the small kitchen area where she poured out two fresh cups. Picking up Reed's mug had been a silent invitation; did he want a refill. He had nodded and stood up, following her into the kitchen area.

"The first time he was arrested was when the beating he had given his wife had put her in the emergency room with a fractured cheekbone. She had also needed 6 stitches in a cut above her eye caused by a signet ring that the doctor apparently wears." Evie Andes him his cup and then leaned against the counter as she carried on.

"That hadnt been the first time he'd had a go at her; it was just the first time she finished up in hospital. Tracy then did what most battered wives do when they get out of hospital the first time... She dropped the charges. She always dropped the charges, even when the beatings got worse. She said to start with, it was little things that would set him off. She'd forgotten something at the store, or she had corrected him in front of his friends. Towards the end, he didn't need an excuse. That first time he hospitalised her, he had accused her of having an affair with someone at her work. She says she wasn't. Towards the end, he was convinced... Get ths... Convinced that she was a hooker. Every time she was out later than he expected... Every time she was out after work... He said she was picking up guys. There's one other thing." She took a long drink of coffee, adding some sense of anticipation. "The former Mrs Bolin is about 5'6, always looked young for her age and ... Has long blonde hair." Evie smiled at Reed as she gave him her conclusion. "The sick son of a bitch is killing his wife... Every Tuesday night... Over and over again!"

Tom listened while drinking his coffee as Evie told him everything that Tracy had told her. From the information that Evie got from Doctor Bolin's ex wife, it sure did seem like he hated blonde haired women. Evie's statement that Bolin was out killing his wife every Tuesday night also seemed to fit the facts. Now the last question that needed and answer was, what was setting him off? One little detail was missing that would tie this whole case up. Now Tom and Evie had to find out what that detail was before Tuesday night came back around ad Bolin killed another innocent girl on the streets.

Tom looked at his watch, the time was just after 3 pm. It had certainly been a very long work day. Their work day had started yesterday and drifted into the next day. Neither had any sleep for almost 48 hours. Tom knew that they could both use some rest. He told Evie about the appointment he set up with Doctor Stacy Campbell who was Bolin's acting psychiatrist while Doctor Freeman was on vacation. The appointment was set for tomorrow afternoon so the two detectives could at least get some rest. He suggested that Evie go home for the rest of today and they could get back to work in the morning. Tom then handed Evie one of the tickets for the Dodger's game. He said that they could go see the game on Friday if Evie wanted to go with him. Back when Tom was partnered with Jack, they would often go see the Dodgers play. But since Jack was promoted, he didn't have as much free time to see any games.

Evie nodded as Reed laid out the details of Bolin's doctors and the appointment with Dr. Campbell the following day. The idea of calling it a day now sounded good. She put her cup down on the counter and when she turned back around, Reed was handing her a ticket fr the game. For a moment, her mind drifted back to the meeting with Rick and the look in his eye when he had handed Reed the tickets, suggesting that they go have some fun.

"That...erm.. Yeah... That sounds great. There is one thing you should know though... I... I love my Dad... My brothers... They're the best. But... As a teenager, I kind of needed to be... Different." She took a breath. "You know my Dad is a Dodgers fan right. Just like my grandfather. Same with Steve and James." Evie shrugged a little almost apologetically. "I'm a Yankees fan."

Hearing that Evie was a Yankee's fan was quite a shock. It was almost blaspheme to say such a thing since the Dodgers and Yankees were old rivals from way back when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn. Tom just shook his head as he placed his mug down beside Evie's mug. " Well no bodies perfect. " Tom said jokingly as he placed an arm around Evie's shoulders. They walked out if the small kitchen and over to their desks. " You go hone and get some rest........We both need it after the last two days. " Tom gently patted Evie's shoulder then he moved away from her. He shut down his computer then grabbed his car key's.

Tom then asked if Evie had a ride or if she needed one? He wouldn't mind dropping her off, but most police detectives do use department verticals to travel from home to work and back again. Tom did and he expected that Evie would sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom