Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The General and the Warrior Princess (Starlet and Vladimir)

How arrogant this man was. Science? He thinks science had anything to do with the powers she and her father possessed? Such a human thought. She opened her mouth, but before she could speak, her Mother said, "Why surprised, Argath? Is it so hard to believe that a human could love anyone but another human? This may be because you have never encountered someone who is not human on an individual basis. Zalphor,", she began as she turned to look at him, "was the most charming, responsible, tender and loving man Id'ever met. I was honored when he asked me to be his bride." Her eyes went back to Argath. "There is much between our two worlds that is very misunderstood. And it is this misunderstanding that brings the fire from my daughter's tongue." She grinned at her daughter. "Hopefully, tomorrow she will be able to express those differences in a much more....calm way." Her voice light and soft as she reached out and touched her hand and squeezed it.

Glancing back at Argath, she added, "We do not wish to harm you, we wish to educate you. So that when you make your decision whether to attack or not, it will be with the knowledge of what you will be giving up." Even though she was human, it was this genteel eloquence of his wife that had struck Zalphor from the moment he had met Dafina and knew that no other woman could fill him as she did.

Though she was of his own kind, Argath couldn't believe that the queen of the Elves was truly a human and if his superiors were to find out then they would have her burned along with her people for "turning her back upon her own kind," but Argath wasn't going to reveal that to them. He might have been seen as a bastard by many, but he wasn't going to condemn a woman to be killed just because she had found herself in love with a magical folk....though her daughter would be a tricky one as since she was half of each race....if he was to invade and she survive there was a good chance that she might be made into someone's personal slave.

He merely nodded his head then. "I will make you no promises but I will say that I will at least try to learn about the people you've come to love and call your own, though in the end I fear that trying to educate me will only end in vain." he said, though he himself didn't notice the sad note hidden in his voice as he returned to eating. He wouldn't admit to it now if pressed on the subject, but he would admit that currently the one thing that made him enjoy the land was its loveliness, such as the gardens and, admittedly, the women as well as he looked up at Vanya. Again though, he wasn't going to admit to it so easily until he was given more time to judge the place himself.

When his own meal was nearly complete, just a few mere bites of meat and vegetables, he looked up from his own plate to look at his hosts once more, his demeanor had changed slightly to a bit calmer than he had been when he was prodded slightly by Vanya. "I would like to thank you for this meal and the many others to come and, should you be able to convince me other wise then I hope to be able to repay you for your kindness." he said, being sincere in his words for they were the truth at the moment as he waited to see if there was the possibility of a desert or if that was all that there would be for him that evening.

Vanya ate her food in silence. She understood what her father wanted to do. To show the barbarian what had been denied him from knowing all his life. That there was room for all in this world, fae and human. Vanya had only her mother as an example of what the human race was like. So when she had heard about this Argath the Terrible, she was half sure it was an over exaggeration. But the more she was around him, the more she found it hard to believe that her mother could have been born to such a race. She was everything Argath was not. Good, kind, loving, genteel and open to the idea that all life has a right to survive as free people, creatures and fae.

When she was full, she pushed her plate away from her and moments later Argath spoke of being thankful, a hint of an open mind, plus to return their kindness. Her head jerked in his direction in shock and suspicion. Was he trying to win their confidence so he could more easily dominate them? Vanya glanced at her parents as they exchanged glances. Were they falling for this?

She could sense her father telling her mother to speak to Argath, perhaps feeling anything coming from her would be less suspicious. "Your words springs hope inside my heart. I'm sure that whatever you decide will be from the best of who you are." She then changed the subject to food. "I hope you have left room for one of our delicacies. Our Chef seems to have the ability to turn an ordinary fruit into a taste of heaven. I've requested one of my favorites, and I hope you will appreciate the flavors. It is a strawberry gel, poured over cake with this marvelous cream that melts into your mouth. I have no idea where she learned to make this, but I thank the Gods she had.", she smiled and laughed softly.

"It is true, Argath," added Zalphor, "even I have come to respect Anya's skill in the kitchen. She is more valuable than all the gold one could own." he bragged unselfishly. Seemed the entire family adored the woman, even Vanya. "Yes, she is like family. I dare stay even you may become as enamored by her as we before your visit ends." She looked across the table at him with a small smile. She didn't trust him, but his last comment deserved some consideration.

Soon, their plates were served and the smell of sweet sugary goodness wafted up into the air.

He could only offer them a small smile as Dafina began to brag about their cook's culinary expertise. "If there is one thing that I have learned, despite my time when it comes to war, its never to call a cook out on their own abilities. They'll challenge you to see if you can concoct something better than them and then you'll be made a fool in front of those who come along to see who will win." he said, knowing from personal experience what happened when one insulted a chef.

He waited then until the little desert had been served to each of them and looked down at the thing that was upon his plate, a little curious as to what it was since he could honestly say he never had anything like it before. A little curious he took up his fork and gave it a slight poke and then chuckled watching it jiggle slightly. He knew it made him look a little childish watching it but back at his home there wasn't anything quite like it or, at the very least, he hadn't come across it at home just yet.

His guard was still up and he was still suspicious that he might be poisoned during a meal, but for now he let his guard down as he took his fork then and scooped a bit of the weird desert and brought it to his mouth. He kept his expression calm, but inside he was shocked by how sweet and tasty it was and he could only look around at his dining companions, wondering if only they got to each this dish as he began to eat it slowly, knowing that if he ate it swiftly he would make a fool of himself and look as if he had no table manners.

Vanya, picked up her fork but waited for her parents to signal it was alright to begin eating their dessert, but was that a chuckle that came from across the table? Tonight was becoming filled with surprises from their guest. As he played with it, she raised an eyebrow and glanced to each of her parents with a confused look. Both shrugged and then all three ended up watching Argath out of sheer amusement.

When he took his first bite, only Dafina could not feel the excitement he felt with that first taste. The same feeling they all had when it was first served to them. The fact that his reaction was rather cute passed Vanya's mind, but then she stiffened at the thought of any empathy for this man had crossed her mine. Quickly, she looked away from him and began to eat her own dessert.

"I hope it pleases you, my Lord?", Dafina asked, unalbe to believe that anyone could eat such a dish and not love it.

As he continued to eat of the delectable dessert, savoring its flavor with every bite without being too obvious of his actions and body language, he didn't answer the Queen of the Elves at first as he was too focused upon the food to really pay attention to anything else at the moment. But when his dessert was finally gone and all that he could do was lick the plate, which he didn't do for then it would make him look like a fool in front of his hosts, Argath looked up at the queen and gave her a genuine smile. "It was indeed a little surprise that I look forward to eating again some time." he replied.

But then a soft yawn came from him and he covered his mouth sheepishly as he looked around him at the table. Though he still didn't trust them, he would be lying if he said he wasn't warming up to them slightly. "Though you fae folk no doubt can go for a long period of time without rest, I must say that I do believe it is time for my weary form to take to bed and rest up for the day tomorrow. I'm sure besides all that was mentioned, the princess here has a few surprised in store for me." he said, indicating what though he wasn't entirely sure himself since he couldn't exactly read into the minds of others.

Standing up from his chair, he gave to each of the three a bow before approaching the two women and took one of their hands into his and kissed the top of it softly. It still reviled him to touch the daughter....but it didn't as much as when he had assumed she was a pure-blooded Elf. "Until the morrow, I hope you all have a nice night." he said, but stayed in place as since he was in the presence of royalty, he wouldn't leave until pardoned.

Argath was full of surprises. His entire demeanor seemed so different to Vanya. And when he stood and announced his intentions to leave them to sleep, she sat in complete shock as he kissed her mother's hand. But even more surprising, was when he actually seemed to be coming towards her. She couldn't believe he intended to do the same to her, now when she knew how much he was revolted by her. But as he picked up her hand, his tenderness surprised her to the point to just staring at him for a completely different reason than she had all night. Her hand remained suspended for a moment and her breath seemed to choked in her chest unsure how to feel about this, for there was no hint of revulsion in him.

As her father stood and walked over to him, he reached out his hand and clasped his shoulder. "Thank you, Argath, and may you rest as well." Dafina stood and joined her husband. "And if you would like some more of the dessert, I'm sure Anya will be happy to serve you another plate." She curtsied, bowing her head slightly, as Zalphor did the same, releasing him from their presence.

He saw the look upon Vanya's face as to how he was acting towards them now, which in of itself put a smile on his as it showed that he was capable of shocking the poor girl...a snippit of information that he stashed away for later. He still wasn't sure about his decision but he still felt like he was leaning towards attacking their country despite the kindness they have shown him...though if he did he would at least see about ensuring that the three of them and a few others would be allowed to live instead of being executed.

Sighing at the thought then, he nodded his head. "I appreciate what you have done for me thus far and hope that, should things go differently from how they were first going to happen, I will be able to repay you for all of your kindness." he said, giving them all one more flourish of a bow before leaving the dining room and proceeded to head his way back to his room, having memorized the route carefully when he first followed the servant that brought him there.

With a few wrong turns and having to actually stop for directions, Argath soon reached the chambers that served as his first the duration of his stay and upon entering it he closed the door straight away and headed for the bed, stripping his clothes off as he went but placing them in a neat pile by the bed before he slipped on under the covers and was surprised to find them so soft, but the thought barely registered as he was lulled quickly to sleep.

As Argath left, it wasn't until he was gone that Vanya realized that she hadn't risen herself before he departed. And it didn't go unnoticed by her parents either, as the returned to their seats and silently began to eat the desserts. Vanya too, picked up her fork to continue, but it simply hung in mid air above it. She could hear the chattering in their minds, trying to figure out just what was going on in her mind.

Soon, she could bare it no more and replaced her spoon to the table with an exasperated look to her mother, "No, mother, I am not ill. I'm not swooning either. I'm just...well, his manners after dinner simply surprised me...is all. I'll be fine." Then with a sigh, she turned to her father, "And I can hear all those things rattling inside your head father. But you only show me enough to either peak my curiosity or drive me crazy. I know you are holding something back, and I just wish you'd share it with me, cause I know its about me.[/color] She paused, hoping her father would relent, but he said nothing, simply smiled at her and continued to eat.

She looked from one parent to another, then stood up and asked, "Can I be excused?" Dafina nodded to her daughter, knowing there was something going on between her father and her, but not having a clue what. "Yes, darling, you may leave. Sleep well." Vanya slightly curtsied and left the room. As she disappeared, Dafina looked at her husband and squinted her eyes at him suspiciously, "Now, what are doing to my daughter?[/color], she asked playfully. Zalphor chuckled lightly under his breath, as he looked down to his dessert and scooped more into his spoon, "Oh all will be revealed in due time, my love. In due time.[/color] He put the spoon in his mouth and looked over at Vanya's uneaten dessert. Then looking back at his wife with a wide grin, he stood up and moved over to Vanya's seat with his plate and leaned towards his wife and asked seductively, "How about we take these to our room and share them all?" Dafina giggled and stood up holding her plate, "Would now please my King?" She passed by him and then turned with a wide grin on her face. Quickly Zalphor stood up with both his and Vanya's plate in his hands, "That suits me perfectly!" He came beside his wife, she slipped her arm through his, and they instantly disappeared.

A minute later, Vanya came back into the room. She had been halfway to her bedroom when she realized she had left her favorite dessert behind. As she hurried to the table and found her parents AND her dessert gone, she stomped her foot and said with gritted teeth loudly to the ceiling, I HATE IT when they do that!" Turning she stomped out and walked back to her room and bed to get ready for the morrow.

As Argath slept there was only a black void, indicating that he had not a dream as he slumbered, but all too soon would the morning arise for the men who was woken up by the sound of birds singing not too far away from him. He awoke with a slight yawn and stretched some, but stayed under the covers of the bed for the most part as he merely turned onto his side and stared out. It was then that he was shocked to see that he awoke in a rather unfamiliar setting. Sitting up straight then, his gaze looked around and it took a moment before it donned onto him that he was in the guest chambers provided to him by the Elves. He chuckled then as he laid back down in the bed, now wanting to get but knowing that eventually he would have to....Vanya did have to show him around after all.

So after a few minutes of debating as to whether or not he finally decided that now would have been a good time as any to get up and so threw off the covers and headed over to the armoire and took only a few minutes to pick out an outfit to wear. It was essentially the same thing he wore the night before, only it was less royal looking without all the trims that his previous clothes possessed. He had donned his undergarments and just put on his trousers when a knock came from the door and before he could reply an Elven servant, female, came walking in and took a long look at him. It made him feel a bit uncomfortable as she stared at him but she seemed to regain her wits quickly and proceeded to place a tray with a silver dome down on the desk beside his bed and then saw herself out.

It was no doubt breakfast but he held off on examining his food until after he was fully dressed, putting on the tunic before he finally went over to lift the silver dome since the scent alone was making him wonder what was hiding underneath. He was a bit surprised to see what he would have considered a small buffet, for eggs, ham, toast, bacon and a number of fruits and vegetables sat there on the tray, as well as a glass of chilled milk. He didn't doubt that the Elves of this realm were trying hard to impress him and change his mind, but food and a soft bed weren't things that would deter him so easily as he began to dig into the meal with a little gusto, but still with enough dignity that he didn't look to be scarfing it all down.

Vanya was up early the next morning. She had eaten and decided to dress for the occasion. So far everyone had been so sickly sweet with Argath since his arrival. Today she would leave no doubt in his mind exactly where she stood in regards to his plans to attack their city. Vanya had sent a servant up with a proper breakfast for what she had planned for the day, and when she thought he had finished it, which would not be long if last night was an example, she sent a second one to let him know she was waiting for him in the gardens. And the location didn't go unnoticed to her. It was the same place where she had first encountered him.

Vanya began pacing back and forth, impatient to get this tour started. She would show him what her father expected, but once she had him in the armory, the real tour would begin. Oh yes, she would show him how demure and helpless her people really were. She paused her pacing and glanced in the direction that her servant had gone, but no Argath. Maybe I sent him too much breakfast., she mumbled to herself.

She suddenly stopped when the servant returned and announced he had informed Sir Argath as she requested. Good, the sooner we get started the better., she smiled at the thought. She walked to a rather lovely shaded spot, squatted to her knees and looked into the distance with great pleasure. A small smirk played upon her lips as she waited for the great warrior. But as time passed, her thoughts turned to more serious thoughts, like what would happen if he declared war upon them.

Image6-19.jpg

With his breakfast almost complete, idly eating the last bits of an apple, Argath wondered when Vanya would be arriving to begin the tour that she was to give to him when another servant soon entered his chambers. "Pardon me for interrupting," said the Elf as he bowed slightly before going on, "but I am here to deliver a message from Princess Vanya. She requests for you to join her down at the gardens where the two of you encountered each other by chance, as she put it, and from there shall the tour of our home begin. That is all that she requested of me to deliver." the servant said, finishing with another bow before he saw himself out and left Argath alone once more to contemplate what he was just told.

He couldn't help but wonder what it was that the Elf princess was up to for he found it rather suspicious that Vanya would request that he meet her where he had first encountered her passed out, but then he gave a slight shrug. He knew that the Fae folk were a bit of an odd and fickle sort and that no human could truly guess as to why they did half the things that they did or what the motivation might have been for the action, just merely take it all in stride.

He would indulge her for now as he got up from his bed, having used it as a seat, and take up his blade and belted it to his waist as he traversed the halls of the palace since he had memorized the route from his chambers to the gardens. Upon reaching the destination he went to where he had found Vanya passed out on the ground, remembering the scent of white roses all too well when he had first discovered her. He gazed around the area but saw no sign of the princess and so stood there in silent thought. "Where do you hide Princess, as well as it is to leave a host waiting, it is also rude to leave a guest waiting." he called out then, wondering if maybe she was nearby.

Vanya heard him arriving before she heard his voice. Slowly she turned her eyes in his direction. He had passed close enough by her that he should have seen her. This puzzled her, but she slowly rose , facing him. "I am not hiding, but am in full view, perhaps your eyes are not as sharp as I had thought they would be." She walked towards him, and bowed her head before looking at him. "Believe me, Argath, I have no reason to hide from you, or any of your men. Shall we begin?", she offered, extending her hand towards the garden path that lead out to a well worn road towards the village.

As they walked, she told him all the statistical information, how many populated this part of the fae world, what skills they were best known for, and skills that they were lesser known for, but that was by choice. She pointed out various shops where he might like to visit and taste their delicacies, or others to review their exquisite craftsmanship. They walked to a huge mining camp where stone, minerals and crystals were harvested. Some were manufactured into building materials, others into jewels, various products smashed into dust for potions, or melting. She glanced in his direction to see if he had become impressed yet.

Next was the mills and farmlands. The fae prized the fact that their harvests were always bountiful and their skills at making food preservation, cloth for clothing and canvases for stronger items such as tents, bags, or totes were always in demand. They visited the mills where wheat, barley and corn were crushed for various uses throughout the kingdom.

Visiting the livestock, she explained how they never harmed or killed for food. They gave of themselves for the fae's nourishment and in return, the beasts were fed, housed, cleaned and cared for in whatever way they needed. It was a profitable exchange and the milk, eggs and other products flowed like a river for the people. She also explained that all meat provided at meals were harvested from the forests. Nothing was taken to excess, only what the people needed.

Next, they came to the armory. Here, the blacksmith stood, pumping the fire to a red hot glow. The man looked at Argath suspiciously as they passed, but said nothing. Vanya took her time, as she entered the huge wooden stockade where everything made by the blacksmith and his crew was stored. The walls were covered with excellently crafted weapons, armor, and spears. On the floor were various household items, farming needs, bridles and saddles. The smell of hot metal and leather filled the room, and Vanya loved the smell of this place.

"As you can see, my people are excellent craftsmen. They can create a sword sharper that any human can make. They have the ability to cut a man in half and yet are half the weight of your own." She walked over to the wall and pulled down two swords. Turning, she tossed one to Argath and half smiled. "Perhaps you would like to try one for yourself." She took a sidewards stance, lifted up her sword and with a smug look she said, "Whenever you are ready, General."

Back
Top Bottom