Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Two Adventurers (ZodiacDragon1014 and Karo)

Treasure hunting. Made sense for a thief. But it also seemed to him her goals could run deeper than just the thrill of seeking treasure. Then again, her goals could in fact be just that and nothing more. There were all sorts of different motivations for all different types of people and races.

"Certainly. A dragon's horde could make someone quite rich. Definitely dangerous. You sure you're up for a challenge like that? That is about as dangerous as you can get."

He thought a moment about her question, wondering first if he should answer her truthfully. His period of contemplation didn't last long however. Once again he thought about the fight they had been a part of several hours before. Although it had been one fight, her actions told him enough. He felt like he could trust her.

"There is an Order of sorts that I am seeking out, an Order made up of warriors, mages, etc, whose sole purpose is to fight under the banner of Bahamut to destroy the spawn of Tiamat. I am seeking them out, because it is my hope to join them."

Jerik paused briefly, then continued.

"The two most notable warriors within the Order are known as the Vassals of Bahamut, and the Dragonborn. The two are largely believed to be either extinct or legend only. I believe, they still exist."

He sat there a bit, wondering first off if she thought he was crazy. For those who had heard the stories, and were aware of the underground war that Bahamut and Tiamat waged against each other, there were certainly a fair share of believers. With believers however, there came just as many if not a greater number of skeptics. He wondered what she knew about the whole thing, if anything at all, and what she thought of him because of it.

(Sorry about the delay again. I've been swamped with school work. x_x)

Arastine simply nodded as he talked. Of course she had heard rumors of this war, of the people who fought it, mostly in secret. It was these sorts of rumors that she thrived on, the call to adventure and danger. While she might not have been as interested, or even as convinced, as Jerik was about their existence, she was never one to doubt such things until proven otherwise.

"Seems just as dangerous." she said with a laugh. "Well, I hope you find them." she said to him. "I think there's some validity to all rumors. They have to start somewhere, right?"

She paused for a moment, nibbling on her food as she thought deeply about something. "You know..." she started. "I think you and I are more alike than it would seem at first. Looking for danger, adventure..." she laughed. "In our own ways, of course."

(Haha, it's no problem at all. I saw the message in your sig, so I figured as much. =) )

Jerik nodded. He was almost sure they existed. Though he had revealed to her information that he didn't initially expect him to give away from her, there was one other bit of info that he kept unsaid. He felt like he was sure. In fact, he felt like he knew without a doubt they were real. Why? Because he felt like he had been called.

"I hope so too. It would be a shame if this whole thing turned out to be some wild goose chase, especially considering our little predicament."

He couldn't help but smile, and then laugh at the similarity she drew between the two of them. Though their goals and their motivations were different, they were both drawn to dangerous situations, situations that would and could no doubt end their lives within a moment's notice.

"I could definitely agree with that one. However different our methods of thrill-seeking may be, we certainly seem to find ourselves in harm's way a lot."

Jerik laughed lightly, feeling a bit more comfortable having her around. He viewed her in a different light. She wasn't just "the thief" to him. In fact, she wasn't that to him at all. It was startling for him even, considering the fact that they had only met the day before. It didn't seem to matter anymore. Survival was what mattered. The two of them knew the other had skills that the other one did not possess.

"So, how long have you been doing what you do? You've made quite the name for yourself very quickly if I recall correctly."

"Too long." she replied with a bit of a laugh. It wasn't often she was in a situation to share this sort of information with people. She had become used to working on her own, and the few contacts she did have weren't much for small talk.

"It...it started from necessity. A bit of bread here, a change of clothes there..." she shrugged. "I was out on my own when I was fourteen. I didn't have too many options.' she said. "It was either steal or go stand on a street corner, and I'd rather keep my dignity in tact.' she said. "I'd rather live as an outlaw than a gutter whore.' she grumbled.

"It got to be a game, to see just what I could take, what I could get away with, how far I could push things.' she shrugged. "And now...I mean, I'm famous, I have everything I could need and more. My life is never boring, everything's a challenge or adventure." she said. "It's lonely sometimes, but...I think it's worth it."

He listened to her brief story. Jerik supposed that's how most thieves started, down on their luck with no option other than to steal. He could understand that part of theft, but the escalation from there he couldn't quite grasp.

"Are you proud of what you've accomplished? You're a well-known thief, and seem to have most everything you didn't in your childhood."

Jerik couldn't help but ask her questions. Her lifestyle was foreign to him, and he was curious how she started and how she got to where she was now. He wasn't going to lie to himself either, but she was intriguing to him. Beyond intriguing really. A relationship that started with him threatening her life because of her attempt to steal from him seemed to blossom into... well, he wasn't quite sure really, not yet.

She looked over to him. "I've brought myself out from the streets, I don't sleep in alleys anymore. I don't worry if I'm going to starve because I know I can get myself something to eat." she said. "I know a lot of people don't understand it, but I...I do like this life. It's exciting." she said.

She looked over to him, and tucked a bit of hair that had fallen out of place behind her ear. "I don't expect you to understand, or even approve, but I've chosen this life for myself, and I think I'm better off for it. Yes. I'm proud of what I've done.' she said.

Jerik watched her as she spoke. She certainly seemed to be behind her lifestyle completely, and she had been able to pull herself out of her rut because of it. He didn't necessarily agree with her choices, but at the same time, he couldn't help but have some respect for her. She owned up to who she was, and didn't apologize for it.

"It's definitely a life that I don't understand, but it seems to me that you've managed to accomplish great things because of it."

Jerik was happy to hear her answer.

"Well good. At least you seem to look back on your life with few regrets. There aren't many in these times that can say or feel that."

She nodded to him. "Aye." she said quietly. "I'll probably stop someday, maybe when I'm old or rich, or both." she chuckled. "But until then, I just go where the next treasure trove waits."

She shook her head. "It's really not as bad a life as you might think. Aside from occasional running from guards when I'm spotted, it's not bad. And I wouldn't change what I did. When I look back, when I think about what my other options were..." she shook her head. "I've done well for myself. I wouldn't change it at all.' she smiled.

She laughed a bit, and shook her head. "I'm sure you don't want to hear my entire life story, though. I don't really get to have conversations with people often. One of the few drawbacks."

((Sorry about my delay. I could tell my writing skills were faltering that night. That, and with the release of Mass Effect 3, I've been a little... distracted. =) ))

Jerik chuckled as well. It was reassuring to him to listen to her take responsibility for all she's done, and to not regret a thing. It was also reassuring to know, or at least assume based on what she had told him, that she was a thief only by trade, and that murder didn't seem to factor into any equation of hers.

"I would agree. There are certainly worse things you could be doing with your life."

Jerik chuckled once again at her 'life story' comment.

"As long as you don't mind the reveals, I have no problem listening to what you tell me. I am interested."

Jerik said with a smile, reassuring her that it was ok to talk to him. He may be a warrior, but that didn't mean that he wasn't a sensitive soul. He was a thorough, cunning, and sometimes ruthless warrior, but only to his enemies. To his friends and allies, he was something else entirely.

(No worries :3)

She laughed again. It was nice, just having a conversation like this, not worrying about who might be eavesdropping. She had made quite a few enemies, both on a personal and professional level, so being cautious was second nature to her. It was rare that she was able to just relax.

"I don't really get to just talk often.' she said. "I work alone pretty much. I have to say, it's kind of nice having someone to travel with for now." she said.

"Last time I partnered up with someone, they decided the reward on my head was worth more than our companionship. Haven't worked with anyone else since"

She frowned for a moment, then turned to Jerik. "So, what about you? I know you're looking for some legendary knights or what have you, but I suppose I should let you talk about yourself for a while. It'd only be fair."

Jerik laughed softly at her reward comment.

"Well, the price on your head is tempting..."

Jerik joked with her, making it clear to her that he was trying to have a little fun despite their situation.

"...but you're much more valuable to me as an ally."

Jerik said with a smile. It made him happy to hear that she seemed to appreciate his company, especially considering the fact that hadn't traveled alongside another companion in quite some time. It made him feel good that he seemed to be the exception.

"Well..."

Jerik paused, thinking for a short while.

"Not really sure where to start. What would you like to know exactly?"

Arastine laughed a bit. She had tensed visibly as he talked about the reward offered for her. Perhaps it would be in her best interest to part ways with him as soon as they were clear of the woods. For now, she was safe with him, but who was to say that her value as an ally wouldn't be forgotten once they were past the trees?

It wasn't the time to dwell on that, though. Instead, she smiled to him. "Let's see..." she said. "How is it that one goes about becoming a knight like yourself? You seem to be fairly driven, especially if you're seeking out an order only pervasive in legends and stories." she said. "Others might call you foolish, but I'm simply curious."

Jerik recognized her reaction to his joke. Though she attempted to cover it up with a laugh, her physical reaction to it was visible plain as day. He figured that he would no longer bring any more attention to the issue. As it stood now, they were far from civilization, so even if he wanted to, he couldn't turn her in. But, even had there been a town or anything nearby, he wouldn't anyway. For him, allies were forever. Then Jerik thought about her question of him.

"I suppose it's because I come from a long line of warriors and knights. I never really gave it that much thought. It just seemed like thing to do, and that it was expected of me."

He thought about it a little more. His family always had been warriors. No affinity for magic. Very little if any ties to the divine, though for him it seemed, the divine may have touched him. He wasn't much of a religious man by any means, but when it came to seeking out the order of the Dragonborn and the Vassals of Bahamut, he swore he had been 'called.'

"Many have called me a fool to seek out this legend. I might have thought the same thing if someone told me they were seeking them out, but..."

He paused for a moment, then continued.

"I felt like I was called... summoned maybe. It's difficult to describe. I just have this strong feeling in my gut that they're out there and that I'm meant to fight alongside them."

Jerik looked to her, trying to find any sort of clue as to her opinion of him now. Did she think he was a fool now as well to pursue such a legend?

However, she simply smiled, and nodded as he spoke. No judgement, no laugh.

"Ah. I know that feeling." She said. "Maybe not so much summoned, but calling is definitely right. The open road, never tied down to one place, one adventure after another..." she said fondly. "Let them call you a fool. Not everyone's going to like what you do, so sometimes, you just have to go with your gut.' she said with a grin.

"It's how I've lived my life until now, and I'm doing pretty good for myself." she said. "Really...we're not that different." she said with a smile.

Jerik smiled and nodded to her. She was right. They weren't that different from each other, and the longer they were around each other, the more apparent it became.

"Heh, you're right. It seems like we share more things in common than we differ. Makes me glad you're here. Not sure I'd be able to get through this place on my own."

He says with a smile, the smile a hope of reassurance to her that he truly was grateful now for her presence and that he meant what he said. It wasn't just that she was capable in a fight, or that she was dependable in a fight. It was the fact too that she was also kind and warm, something he hadn't much expected considering their initial run-in with each other.

She nodded to his statement.

Their conversation continued for a short while, before Arastine stretched and yawned. "I think I'm going to try and sleep for a while. Wake me in a few hours, and I'll keep watch for you, alright?" She said with a smile to him.

(Sorry if it's a bit short. xD Not a lot going on.)

(Haha, it's no problem at all. Might as well get it moving.)

He smiles back at her and nods, the nod being the 'ok' for her to go ahead and get some shut eye.

"Sounds like a plan. For now, I'll make sure no big bad monsters get the jump on us."

Jerik says with a smirk.

"Goodnight."

With that, Jerik's shift of watch started. He spent some time alone in his thoughts for a while, from time to time snapping back to reality to switch his gaze over to Arastine. He didn't mean necessarily to sit there and watch her sleep. It just kind of happened.

The fire was still going. As Arastine slept, what light was left from the fire seemed to dance in circles around her. She was already beautiful. The dancing light just seemed to make her all the more beautiful as he watched over her. Several hours passed without a single incident as he watched over her, and for that he was happy for. It was now time for her night watch shift. Getting up, he walks up over to her. Kneeling down beside her, he gives her a gentle nudge to the shoulder.

"Hey..."

Jerik whispers to Arastine.

"It's your time."

He almost didn't watch to wake her. He just seemed to want her to get the sleep and for her to relax, but they wouldn't get anywhere later in the day if he was tired.

Arastine slept soundly from the time she had laid down, her back to a fallen log in the clearing. It seemed to be a habit of hers, sleeping with her back guarded. It was almost surprising how easily she slept, considering that she seemed to be constantly paranoid of being caught, even out in the middle of these woods.

She jumped awake, at once reaching down where she normally kept a knife at her belt. It was a reflex, the jerk of her hand followed by a relieved sigh.

"Sorry." She said at once as she sat up, rubbing her eyes for a few moments as she adjusted to the light from the fire. "I'm a bit jumpy when I'm woken up." She said before taking a swig from her canteen. "Go on and get some rest. We've got a few hours before dawn yet. I think that'll be the best time to get moving."

With her reaction came a reaction of his own, though his was much more subdued. Jerik merely flinched as she began the motions for reaching for her knife, or rather where her knife would have been. A light chuckle escapes from him and he nods.

"It's alright."

Jerik gets up from her side and moves towards his own bedroll, unclasping and removing his cumbersome armor. Setting each piece down beside his sword and bow, he gets in it and looks to Arastine, giving her a nod.

"That sounds like a plan to me. Hopefully the forest will be a bit nicer to us this time around."

"Aye." she said. "I would really rather not deal with...whatever it was that attacked us again."

She shook her head. It was really quite disconcerting, being jumped so suddenly by something that left no trace of where it was. She was able to defend herself, yes, but against an unseen, unheard, and untrackable foe? The odds were not in their favor.

"Sleep well, Jerik." she said. "I'll wake you when the sun's up." she said, and settled down near the fire to keep watch.

Jerik gave her a nod, both in agreement with her statement and acknowledging her cue to him to go to sleep. Indeed, they had a long ways to travel to nowhere. With any luck, the two of them would find some sign or hint of civilization before such an attacked occurred again. One thing was for certain, enemies seen and unseen, this forest housed both and would certainly test both their resolves.

"G'night..."

Jerik said simply. By now, the fatigue from the previous day had caught up to him, having kept it at bay while he had been keeping watch. Now was his turn to get some much needed rest. Without missing a beat, Jerik rested his head down, and fell asleep almost instantly. Nothing but the crackling of the fire and his breathing broke the silence of the night.

She kept watch through the rest of the night, thankful for the silence that filled the air. It was somewhat unnerving, in a sense, without the usual sounds one would expect from the woods. No buzzing insects, no animals prowling nearby, nothing.

At least the night was short, and soon, the faint glimmer of light through the trees caught her attention. Sunrise.

Less subtle than her companion, Arastine stood and gave Jerik a gentle kick to the shoulder to rouse him. "Rise and shine." she said. "We've got a lot of walking to do."

Jerik jerked slightly in his bedroll when Arastine kicked him in the shoulder. His head shot left, right, up, and down, then to her. He gave her a subtle yet playful glare and gave her a soft punch in the leg as he began to rise from his resting place, soon donning on his armor and weapons.

"Alright, then."

Jerik said, fully garbed and ready for travel.

"In which direction are we headed?"

At this point on his travels through the forest, Jerik had about given up trying to decide on which direction they should head. Arastine was accompanying him now, and she no doubt had skills.

She sighed. "I've been trying to keep heading north." she said. "It's the way I was going when I started off in here." she said, pointing off ahead of them.

"Plus, from the direction of the sunrise, we can somewhat keep a steady course. Hopefully we'll be out of the trees soon." she said quietly. She took a swig from her canteen again, and snuffed out their campfire. "Hopefully we'll find a stream or something soon. I'm a bit low on water. I've heard of too many people dying of thirst while lost or on the run, and I'd rather that not be me."

Jerik looked toward the direction that she was currently pointing, the same direction they had been traveling since the two of them had first met. It was a sound plan, especially since the Order of the Dragon lay to the north, as well as one of the few supposed Red Dragon lairs, the prize Arastine had no doubt set for herself.

"Sounds like as good a plan as we can get with all the unknowns this forest keeps throwing at us."

He took a look at her, noticing her canteen running a little low. His wasn't full either, his canteen holding about half the water it was capable of.

"Hopefully we won't reach that point. If you do run out of water, I have some to spare if you would like. Besides, if it's not dehydration that kills us, something else in here surely will try."

Back
Top Bottom