Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Reluctant companions (Eyesoffire & Ecchi)

Leilia strode down toward the tranquil pond, nestled against a low land rise from which a small waterfall spilled from a natural spring. Looking over the peaceful area, she found it to be empty of life, save for the birds in the trees, and tiny fish swimming in the water. It was quiet, aside from the water falling into the pond, and the bird songs in the air. This would be a wonderful spot to rest her legs for a moment, perhaps even take a quick dip in the cool water to refresh herself before reaching her destination. She was told to meet a companion in Harrowdale, who would aide her on her quest, a quest given to her by the mysterious, and revered mage order, the Grey Sages. However, she could afford a little break.

It was only around midday now, and she had until sunset to reach Harrowdale and meet up with her companion, who would no doubt have further information given by the Grey Sages about this quest. She knew only that it was of grave importance, and if successful would stop the rise of the demon god, Draz, thus saving the world from an age of destruction. It was important enough for her to head the summons of the Grey Sages, whom had selected her among others to recruit for this most perilous task, leaving her forest home to journey the outer lands. Though the war between Elves and Men currently raging, would likely mean she would be less welcomed to many of the human towns and cities, suspected of spying and malicious acts.

She sighs though, as she lets all those worries drift to the back of her mind, being in this beautiful, peaceful place. It reminded her some of her home, and comforted her. She slowly begins to unclasp the buckles of her leather armor, and her belt, until she pulls it off over her head and drops it to the grassy forest floor. She then unlaces the matching leather bracers from her forearms, which like the main piece of armor, had gold inlaid designs. Next came her boots, leaving her bare feet to step into the soft grass, her dainty toes curling slightly into it. Next came the sash of her leaf green tunic, then the tunic itself, revealing a linen cloth wrapped around her upper body, binding her breasts. Her darker green slacks were quickly lowered and dropped, revealing the other half of her undergarments, a simple little linen loincloth tied around her hips and between her legs. Both undergarments are untied, leaving her plump breasts to bounce free and unrestrained, and leaving her now fully nude.

Her clothes were left where they fell in a messy pile, her short elven twin swords left beside them, along with the little curved elven hunting dagger. Her sturdy elven bow, and quiver of arrows were brought with her as she slowly waded into the water. She moved over to where a large bush hung far out over the water, wading over until it was waist deep, to hang her bow and arrows on the branches of it. Then she lowered herself into the water, feeling the cool liquid caress her bare creamy colored skin. She leaned her head back, dipping her golden hair into the water until she was fully submerged, and then lifting herself up again. Her hair fell down just past her shoulders, and now clung to her skin. On both sides, starting behind her ears, there were thin braids in her hair of the same length as the rest which was left to flow freely.

She was letting her guard down somewhat in this place, simply laying back in the water, her eyes closed as she listened to the sounds of the water and the birds around her. That is until she heard what sounded like someone nearby. She had let her guard drift too much, and didn't catch the sounds of them until they were very close. She quickly swims over to the bush, tucking her legs under herself and staying low in the water as she hid against it, watching the shore as she slowly reached for her bow.

Three days and nothing more than a few coins and stale food. Bitter thoughts rang in Gideon's head as the sellsword moved along the dirt path through Entsmere Wood. The day was a fine one, sunny, warm with a cool breeze that picked up now and again just to provide some comfort. But all of this was lost on the man, he just scratched the short stubble on his face and ran a hand through short, messy black hair. He neither looked up or around him, just trudging forward in the direction of Harrowdale. The pay just wasn't as good as it had been in the past. Perhaps he should return to his life as a ranger, hunting criminals across lands. When his order of ranges had done its work it was said death moved in the night, but that was music to his ears he'd heard long ago. He hadn't lost much of that skill though as he black leather armor was effective from moving swiftly from shadow to shadow under the trees.

Regardless of his past and skill his head was down, Gideon was thinking of other things, things he needed and wanted but to find a job that suited him other than being a sellsword was rougher and harder than he'd expected. It was merely by chance that he stumbled upon a clearing in the forest, his chestnut brown skin getting brighter as he entered the light. The sound of flowing water caused him to raise his head. He scanned the area and squinted slightly at the pond in front of him. He didn't feel like swimming at the moment and a bush near it was it's only interesting quality. He was about to turn back when his eyes caught a glimpse of something shining from the sun's rays on the cool grassy floor. They were reflections of the light coming from buckles. He walked over, knelt down and picked up the clothing. It felt comfortable in his hands, yet the leather seemed to be crafted well, clearly the armor of someone who knew how to fight...or a pretentious lord who had wealth and decided to go swimming.

Further inspection revealed to him that these would have belonged to a woman, why else would there have been wrappings if not for someone's chest and a man never needed to wrap his chest. Keeping the pants in his hand he looked over and grinned a little at the swords. They were clearly evlen, so it was an elf that he'd indirectly found naked swimming in the pond and by the colors of the garb he'd have said a wood elf. Gideon raised his eyebrows, perhaps it was a shame he wasn't working, but then perhaps it wasn't. Regardless seeing this person would certainly be interesting. As he crouched down to the clothes he heard something move in the pond, he turned his head slightly but dismissed it as a just a fish moving about for its own reasons.

Leilia watched the man as he approached the clearing, suddenly wishing she had hidden her things. She hoped he might still overlook them and move on without incident, but of course that was a false hope. She watches with a frown as he looks through her things and picks up her pants. With bow in hand, arrow notched, she slowly moves out from behind the bush, staying low in the water to keep her breasts submerged and at least partially obscured by the water. "Halt human, put those down, and leave my belongings be. I'll not have you stealing anything."

The nude Elven woman's icy blue eyes were locked onto the man, as well as the arrow which she had drawn back, the bow string pulled tight and ready to fire if he made the wrong move. It was still a risky shot though, as he would now be able to see it coming, and if he avoided it, she would have to scramble through the water back to her quiver for another, potentially giving him time enough to enter the water with his own weapons and overtake her. "I do not wish for bloodshed today, but do not test my patience, Human." She hoped he would simply drop her things and leave, but she knew better than to expect for such simple resolutions when it came to Humans, and men most of all.

Gridon instinctively grabbed his knife but as he turned his head he noticed the arrow pointing at him. In his eyes she'd already said too much and he stayed there. If she wouldn't want bloodshed then she'd get her wish, for a price. "I have you pants hostage." He said clearly, not caring how stupid that sounded, he didn't care about a lot of things these days. "You can kill me now anyway, but not before I cut right down the middle of these fine leather pants. I'll be dead, I'll have no problems but you, you're going to have to spend the rest of this beautiful day with torn pants and everyone's going to either see those legs of yours or you'll look like an idiot. I'm leaving this up to you. Kill me now, I don't care I'd be glad to get rid of all my problems, elf."

He couldn't suppress a grin. His voice had been calm, he had looked the elf in the eye and even smiled a little. It wasn't his fault times were so hostile. He'd heard the stories about what the elves did to people in the old days and how this land was truly theirs. Deep within him a tiny bit of apprehension crept up. He wasn't really looking to die today, especially from some naked elf in a pond. "I can't help but notice you're here alone." he said, trying to keep the elf's mind wandering as he looked for a way out. "It's a little dangerous for someone like you to be out here in that state." Gideon swallowed, he was probably pushing this a little too far, nevertheless he wanted to get out of this alive but dropping the pants and running seemed too weak...and not risky enough for his tastes.

Leilia continues watching the man closely, her lips curling into a frown as he threatens to slice her pants and leave her with the option of going without them, or looking foolish walking around with torn pants. Either way she would look foolish really, and in already unfriendly territory, that would not work out too well for her. She stares at him silently for a few moments, keeping the arrow drawn back for the moment, though she knew she couldn't hold it forever. "Whether I am alone or not, is none of your concern. And I have doubt that a Human would genuinely care about my safety. So stop your games and drop the pants. Leave now and you may keep your life."

She knew her current position wasn't the best though, neither for bargaining, nor firing the arrow at him, crouched so low in the water. She would likely need to rise higher for a better shot, but that would leave her more exposed to him, and she simply hoped the threat of the arrow would be enough to persuade him. She creeps just a bit closer to the shore, by a couple steps or so. "Just leave my things be, and go." Her grip on her bow tightened slightly as she held at least some small hope he would comply and walk away.

'So stop your games and drop the pants.' Ah, if only women had said that to him more often. Gideon only grinned back at her threats. He shrugged his shoulders in an uncaring fashion. "Fire the arrow or not, see if I care but I know that two people are going to be unhappy. You being the first, no doubt I'll bleed all over your lovely clothes and you'll be suspected of murder by the next person who sees you. The second is someone I have to meet in Harrowdale and I'd have for them to think I'm some sort of late-comer, you understand? Also, you're going to have to stand up to get a better shot, the wood of your bow is already wet on the bottom, that can't be good for the notch and the strong itself." He was speaking logically to her and stood up, still holding the knife and pants.

"You don't really want to make me bleed, right?" He raised an eyebrow. "You said it yourself, you don't want bloodshed so why don't you put the weapon down and we can stop all of this nonsense right now." She was gorgeous, that much was clear to him, the way her hair fell from her head and clung to her shoulders when wet. He closed his mouth for a moment, why hadn't he noticed it before? Maybe he was too much of a talker. her skin looked smooth and he could tell she had a lithe form from all he could see. "So are you going to put the bow down and we'll act like sensible people or will you ruin both our days by shooting that arrow at me?" he called back to her as he stood there, eyes moving from her face to her neck and up again.

Leilia's grips on the bow, and the arrow both tightened as she listened to him, and begrudgingly admitted to herself, that he was right. It was more than a matter of her looking a fool with torn pants, or no pants if she shot him. And Elf in Human territory, covered in blood. She would certainly be suspected of murder given the current warring state between the two races, and herself killed or imprisoned. Either way it would put a stop to her plans, and possibly harm the quest to secure the safety of the world. He even seemed to call out the fact she would have to raise out of the water to fire and reveal more of her nude form in the process.

She glares hard at him for a moment, her arm which had begun to relax as he spoke suddenly draws back again, ready to fire the arrow, however she turns her aim and lifts slightly more from the water to fire it into a nearby tree. She then lowers again and throws the bow off to the side onto the shore, then ducks further into the water so only her head stayed above. "Have your minor victory then, Human. Now drop my things and be on your way." It was interesting, and unfortunate, she thought, that he seemed to also be headed toward for Harrowdale. That could make for a bit of an awkward situation if she ran into him again there. Of course, it somehow never crossed her mind that he might be meeting someone there for the same reason she was.

He let out the tiniest sigh of relief when she fired the arrow at a tree. He still wanted to ensure she saw no sign of weakness from him. He sat down beside her clothes and looked at her. "I actually haven't had any decent company for a while." He said plainly, still watching her, keeping eye contact. His rambunctious self seemed to have dissolved into a more serious nature. "Perhaps if we spent a little time together it might just help me keep my sanity." he chuckled audibly at the end of the sentence, though personally he found it no laughing matter. He was quite level-headed and sane but he'd known friends who had been out in the wilderness too long, who had seen things mortals weren't meant to see, heard voices in strange languages that they weren't meant to hear. They came back deranged, devoid of all hope and zest for life. They just wanted to lie down and die.

The Grey Sages had told him of this in other parts of the world. That Draz wished to emerge back into this realm and in doing so wipe out all of life as the good people here know it. That was partly the reason why Gideon had picked up his sword and accepted their quest. Although he was cynical of most individuals he knew that many were genuinely kind and caring. Sure he was a killer, he'd killed for money and for honor but that didn't stop him from helping the kind when he could. His eyes seemed to look in the distance when he thought of these things and he snapped back to the present and locked eyes with the elf once again. "Where are you headed?" He asked politely, the playful, smart-ass tone couldn't be heard anymore.

Leilia frowns, her glare deepening as he sits near her things, rather than leaving, which left her stuck naked in the water, and now unarmed and helpless. She had no way of forcing him to leave, and no way to get to her clothes without him getting an eye full of her nude body. "I have no wish to keep you company, Human. I'll not be your forced companion..." The very idea that he might be hinting at coercing her into accompanying him by holding her possessions hostage enraged her. It made her think of the old tales, of Human long ago enslaving her people. One of the old grudges that led to the current warring state.

She remains still in the water, not moving a muscle as she stares at the man with a heated glare. "None of your concern. Where I go, is my own business. Be on your way, and leave me be. I have no desire to continue this discussion. Just go." She would sit and wait, hoping for him to leave, and until he did, she would remain in the cool water.. even as it began to feel a bit too cold.

Gideon frowned. "Well, if that's what you really want." He stood up and made ready to leave, but not before taking one of her elven blades with him. He knew she'd noticed and walked swiftly back to the treeline where he disappeared in a hurry. If he was the elf he would have found this to be very childish but he wasn't in her position and smiled as he thrust the blade into his belt and made his way to Harrowdale. He had his own reason for taking the weapon. Walking swiftly he reached the town by dusk and made for the Inn of Harrow Dawson, the town itself was named after him, supposedly the founder of this place who, according to local legend, which came for a sketchy man, slew two bears single-handedly in order to claim this territory. The Grey Sages had indicated that this would be the place he'd find his companion. He entered into the Inn's tavern, to his right were stairs leading up to the rooms. The place was almost full, serving girls and drunken old men lined the aisles and tables were filled with an assortment of individuals from young soldiers to boys who looked far to young to be drinking a pint.

Gideon chose a corner table near a window, placed the elf's blade on the table and leaned back in his chair as he waited for a barmaid to come with his order. He flipped a coin in the air guessing what side would face up when it landed in his hand. The companion was taking their time, whoever they were and he was starting to get rather annoyed. Eventually his drink came but time spent drinking it went by fast.

Leilia's eyes went wide as she saw him pick up the blade and hurry off, leaving only one of the twin blades behind for her. Of course, he could have taken much more, such as all of her weaponry, leaving her defenseless. Still, his rushing off with her single short sword was enough to make her call out after him and stand from the water, arms crossed over her naked body, and rush out to the shore. "HEY! Bring that BACK!" She glares out into the treeline, tempted to rush off and follow his path just as she was.. however that would not be very wise at all.

She growls under her breath as she's forced to remain where she is to pull on her clothing again, from the two undergarment articles, back out to the leather armor, boots, and bracers. At least her pants had escaped the situation unscathed. She re-straps her dagger on, pulls her bow and quiver onto her back, then picks up the remaining blade to look at it. It seemed so.. odd without it's twin. She could almost say it seemed lonely. She sighs and slips it onto its place on her belt, hen moves over to the tree she shot to pull the arrow from it and slip it back into her quiver. She rushes off through the trees to get back on the path, cursing in Elven the whole way. She knew by now, that man had too much time to escape, and she would not be able to catch him now.

Just around sunset, she reached the town, walking through to find the place she was told to go. She approaches the inn and steps inside, glancing around. She, like Gideon before her saw the various patrons and bar maids, though her entrance inspired a different reaction. Immediately the sounds of laughter and loud conversation went quiet, particularly among the soldiers who sat about. Their eyes, more than most other followed her every move, while others stared perhaps in fascination, or fear. She heard now only murmurings as she passed by the people, some rather unkind words her pointed ears picked up from a few patrons. She moves to a corner table in the back, an area that seemed fairly secluded, with an amulet given to her by the Grey Sages worn out over her armor, so the one who she was to meet would know who she is. She either didn't notice Gideon yet, or purposefully ignored him, still having no clue at all who he was.

Gideon was practically sleeping by the time the elf had entered the inn. The sudden silence caused him to wake up and sit properly in his chair. Looking around he quickly spied to cause of the disturbance. His eyes followed her to the table she chose. Men around him whispered about how the elves had taken their lands, killed many of their people and they were doing it all over again. Some started to consider taking her hostage or killing her outright. At this point Gideon knew things would eventually get far out of hand. Since he had met this elf before he didn't need that cocky, smart-ass, fun-loving act anymore. He got up from his table and took the elven sword with him.

He wound through the other round tables, no one paid him any attention until they realized he was going to the table where the elf sat. Some gave him words of encouragement, some congratulated him for taking this into his own hands. "Need assistance ranger?" "Good job, take her in!" "You can kill her out back, ranger." "Dump the body in my yard, I'll make sure no one finds it."
Gideon ignored everything that was said to him, in truth some of the things said were too disturbing and he didn't want any part of their twisted plans.
Reaching her table he spied the amulet on her wrist and squinted. He pulled her blade out and slammed it, point down into the wood of the elf's table. "You draw far too much attention to yourself, elf." Gideon said in a hoarse whisper. "Upstairs, now! No doubt the Grey Sages told you we don't have much time."

Leilia heard some of what was being said, one hand clenched the hilt of her remaining short sword, prepared for any of them to make a move against her. If any had the guts to dare try and harm her, she would leave them lying in their own blood. It wasn't for nothing the Grey Sages chose her after all. Seeing none do more than simply talk bold words though, she relaxed but slightly. Few of those here who weren't soldiers looked as if they truly had the mettle to attack her, and most of those who were soldiers looked too weary to put up much of a real fight.

Her icy blue eyes turned as a man approached, and then she watched her short sword slammed into the table. A deep frown crossed her lips as she looked up to see the very same man indeed she had run into earlier. Her soft lips part as she glares up, about to speak back to him, possibly to scold him or tell him he was a fool to show himself like this after stealing from her. No words came though, as she heard him speak of the Grey Sages. Her expression turned to surprise at first, the thought in her mind, how could he know of her mission? Then came the confusion as she thought it over. Finally, a look of dismay and defeat, as she realized, this man, of all people, was the one she was sent to meet. And meet they did, in a less than preferable manner, earlier at the pond.

Her lips close once again into a small frown as she keeps a hard gaze on him, standing slowly and reaching to yank her sword out of the table, then holding her hand out to him, to receive the sheath for it. She speaks softly to him. "Don't presume to command me so bluntly. If upstairs is where you wish to speak, so be it. But you need not be so crass about your request." She would turn and move then, preparing to move for the stairs, keeping a sharp eye on the people they pass.

"Would you rather have me sugarcoat everything I say?" He said, still whispering as he walked behind her, his hand on the hilt of his sword, more for show than anything else. The people watched as they went upstairs. They saw Gideon's hand on his sword and some of them smiled. If he hadn't done it he was sure suspicion would rise quickly that the two of them were working together, and he really didn't need that. Walking in front of the elf he checked the doors, most were locked and people shouted rude words from behind them when he checked. Finally he found an unlocked, empty one. Waiting until the elf was inside he stood by the door, closed it when she entered and locked it. He thrust the sheath of the sword into her hand, not giving it to her earlier because the commoners downstairs would talk. He lit a few candles in the room and then turned to look at the elf.

"As you must have already guessed I am to be your companion on this quest sent to us by the Grey Sages...listen, I'm not going to say I like that fact I'm working with an elf. Much less you of all elves but I'm not about to let a war affect this job, which, as I think you realize, is a bit more important than what's going on leagues away." He rubbed the bridge of his nose between his eyes and took a deep breath. After a short moment he looked up and sighed. "Forgive me, I've been waiting for quite some time, I don't have much patience and when I realized it was you I was to be partner to it came as quite a shock. Perhaps we should begin again. My name is Gideon, yours?"

Leilia gave him a little glare and flipped her blade so she held it upside down, along the length of her forearm. "Are manners such a difficult concept?" She turns and behind to move for the stairs, leaving behind the rabble of the crowd that seemed intent on watching them move. She watched then as he checked the doors until finding one unlocked, and the room empty. She stepped inside, then turned to face him, blade still in hand, as she suspected him capable of any sort of trickery still.

Icy blue eyes locked on him, she listens to him speak, while she takes the sheath that was handed back to slip it over her sword, and put it back in its proper place as her hip. "I am well aware that this task is more important than the warring of our peoples over old wounds reopened." Started by the land hungry Humans, she might have added, but she wasn't going to point fingers out loud and start pointless arguments over it. She folds her arms over her leather clad chest as she continues to listen to him. "You are not my own prime choice as a companion in this either, Human. But if you are one the Grey Sages have appointed, I will not argue their judgement. If you are to be my companion, I shall tolerate your company, and I shall watch your back until this mission is complete. But I do not desire or expect friendship." She wanted to make her feelings on this arrangement quite clear, it seemed. "You may call me Leilia. Did the Grey Sages tell you where we are to travel? What tasks lie ahead?"

Gideon pursed his lips as he listened to her, for a woman who expected manners from other should could be quite curt herself. Nevertheless he tolerated it and listened intently to her questions. The Grey Sages hadn't told him much, he had actually been told that his companion would have some useful information as well, perhaps he was a fool to rely on that too much. In hindsight he should have questioned the old ones well. It would only be fair, he was risking his skin for them. But the Grey Sages were the seemingly introverted, quiet, secluded type; like a weak boy at a school. "The Grey Sages..." Gideon started to speak but he held his tongue for a moment, quietly observing Leilia. "Unfortunately they like to withhold information. From what little they said they did state where we are to go; South. To the Desert of Arigos. That will take us through your lands as well as mine. From there they stated that we'll know of our next task."

He stopped talking, he just looked at Leilia, his head angled to the side ever so slightly, like a curious dog. He was unsure that he could trust Leilia in her own lands. She had enough reason to stick and arrow through his eye at this moment, what's to stop her from setting an ambush for him when they moved through the elven cities? Or slitting his throat as he slept?
No. He was being paranoid, they were expected to work together by a higher power and the fate of the world rested upon their quest. "As you probably know, heading to Arigos' desert implies that basilisks, great carrion and other assorted beasts would be seeing us as a tasty meal...additionally we have Draz's forces to contend with and whoever else may get in our way. To be completely honest that's all I really know, that's all they told me."

Leilia listened with a frown as he spoke, sighing softly. "They certainly do like to withhold information. Perhaps it's some sort of twisted sense of humor." She keeps her arms crossed, her gaze shifting down to the floor as she considers his words, her frown deepening. "Through my lands... That could be... problematic." She sighs and looks up again, looking him over some. "As seemingly distrustful and hostile as your own people are, even in a small place like this.. they at least are reluctant to act. Either too afraid, or smart enough to know better. My people however... will not hesitate to bring down any human wandering into their territories. From a distance if archers are about, and we have many archers. We may need to get creative to get you safely through that area."

She nods slowly to him then as he speaks of the dangers they will inevitably face. "I am aware of that. But it's not for nothing the Grey Sages sought me out from all of my kin and set me on this quest. And I certainly hope you can boast the same, Gideon. I don't expect it will be easy, but I have hope that we can succeed, for all our sakes. We must, or death take us." She sighs softly and looks to him. "So, are we setting out immediately, or will we be staying the night here?"

Leilia's words brought about the hot feeling of anger within him. Huh, as if she could boast that. The way I caught her this morning, Is that what the best of the elves are made of? Well then it shouldn't be a long war. Gideon never really thought about the war in this manner, he was part sell-sword, but with no job his worries were limited to his own needs. He didn't see anything to her, they'd cross that bridge when they came to it and find a way through her lands. A little part of him said that it may be just as, if not more dangerous than the rest of the journey. Regardless of that Gideon had experience that had saved him numerous times in the past, why should this be any different? The one small issue was Leilia's honor, there was nothing stopping her from handing him to her kin when traveling in Elven lands.

"I never said I was the best, but neither did I say I was the worst." He said plainly, giving Leilia a look of nonchalance. "We should leave now. Provided you have all your things." he raised an eyebrow at her. "Entsmere wood stretches on for a league or two, and in the open plains that come afterwards I'm sure we'll find skirmishing parties scattered throughout the lands." he unconsciously placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. "Personally I don't want to meet either of the two factions." Gideon moved over and unlocked the door, swinging it wide open. ""We shouldn't linger here either...the men downstairs may wonder why you're still in one piece."

Leilia raises a brow as she watches him, hearing is reply. "Well, perhaps there is some hope for out survival then." She would shrug lightly, unfolding her arms from her chest. "I have all of my things now, yes." She would look toward the door, then back toward the single window that looked out into the street. "Well, we can avoid having them wonder such things, if I simply slip out the window and meet you outside. I get the feeling they might not let us go peacefully if you come back down with me still alive. While I go out the window, you can distract the rabble down there with a tale of slaying the elf, and by the time they come up to see the body, we'll be gone from here. Unless of course you have some better idea? Or happen to think those men down there won't cause us trouble we don't need?" She stands by the window, watching him for his reaction, while he stands at the door.

"You're smarter than you look." Gideon said, raising an eyebrow and turning the door handle. He slipped out silently and closed the door quickly. Moving down the hall he pulled out his sword and pretended to wipe it clean. By the time the men at the bar saw him coming down the last flight of stairs he was angling the sword into his sheath. They cheered for him, it filled Gideon with disgust but he smiled anyway, nodding to nearby people who patted him on the back and shaking hands with a few. Some of them asked how he did it but he continued to walk to the door, not wishing to give them a story. Then too many people asked and he turned before the door and looked at all the eager faces. "I gave her a chance." He began, raising his arms. "As all humans do, we fight fair. She drew her blade and charged-too late. I leaned down, unsheathed my weapon and in the same stroke I hit her stomach and saw what elves are truly made of!"
The people cheered, men, women and children alike. Gideon gave them one last smile and hurried out the door before any of them asked about the body.

He walked behind the inn and met with Leilia. "They wanted a story...I killed you quickly." A little smirk came across his face.
"We beg borrow or steal horses, I know we'll need them." Crispin already began moving to the stables. "I have the money to buy them but hell, are we coming back here anytime soon?" The stables were nearby and as soon as he reached them he opened a stall and began to saddle a horse. "Never liked Harrowdale anyway." He mumbled to himself as he sent the reigns over the beast's neck and put the bit in its mouth.
"Perhaps some good head cover for you should allow us to pass by with no questions asked...unless...you want every guard in every town along the way to inquire about your existence in these lands."

Leilia watches as he slips out, and opens the window, slipping outside onto the overhang that stood out at the front of the inn. Staying low, she moved off to the side and leaped down to the ground. She snuck along the side of the building, checking the back for anyone outside. Seeing no one, she sat and waited for Gideon to meet her there.

She stood as he walked up, hearing his remark. "Lovely. Well at least that will keep them occupied for the moment." She followed him along to the stables just on the outside of the town, watching as he moves in and helps himself to a horse. "I don't like the idea of theft. Though I suppose if you're the one doing the stealing, my conscience won't bother me to badly." She glances around until she spots a rough linen cloth. She graps it and pulls it over her head, wrapping it over her shoulders like a shawl. "I can purchase a cloak in the next town, this should do for now." And in keeping with what she'd said about him being the one stealing, she climbs up onto the horse behind him, rather than taking another for herself. "You can make up some story about me being your sister if people ask." With that, she holds onto him, ready to ride out.

"Conscience has got nothing to do with all of this...sister." Gideon said as he stirred the horse into action. He was surprised that she had mounted his horse, he expected a women like herself, so independent and seemingly stubborn, to have taken one for her own. Nevertheless he rode on, slowly guiding the horse through the streets until they reached the edge of town. He felt like making some smart remark about calling her 'sister' but kept his mouth shut and looked ahead. There would be another time for that. The moon rose high in the sky, it was a cloudless night, its light turned everything blue and shadows covered almost all they could see.

Long moments of silence passed by as they rode on. Gideon was purposely making the horse move slowly, carrying two people would tire it out faster and there was no point in galloping or even having it trot unless there was a real need for it. The pace seemed even slower in the silence and he began to fiddle with the reigns. Finally he broke the monotony of the journey. "What did the Grey Sages tell you?"

Leilia sat in silence as they rode along. Both because she had nothing in particular to say to him, and to keep her ears alert for any signs of trouble. When he asks her what the Grey Sages told her, she sighs softly. "Not much. They told me what they hope to prevent, and that they wanted myself, among others they had also chosen, to help gather required artifacts to stop Draz's rise into our world. They conveniently left out any information about what those are however, and simply said I and my companion would meet with someone who could tell us more. They told you the location I suppose, so at least we know where to head. Perhaps they withhold information, so if some of their chosen errand runners are captured by Draz's forces, they won't be able to get all of the information out of them."

"Artifacts? I wasn't told anything about artifacts. They only said I should make my way to the Desert of Arigos and that my companion will know the rest....so the rest is artifacts?!" It irked him how little the Grey Sages told them, it was as if they weren't looking to save this world at all but rather sent people on a wild goose chase and have them spend the rest of their lives trying to figure out what the hell to do. Gideon still urged the horse onwards. "We're going to the desert regardless of what they say, I don't know what this artifact is, I haven't heard of anything important being in that desert except the tribes that fight against one another constantly. I've heard there are jungles and mountains after that full of savages and barbarians. My elders told me it's a bloody world I've been born in...only now do I realize they were telling the truth."

Lightening flashed in the distance as rain fell t their West. "The next town is Edric's Stead. You'll most likely receive a warmer reception over there...not necessarily a good one, but it'll be an improvement."

Leilia nods slowly. "Well, hopefully someone will be there who can tell us more about these artifacts. Where they are." She sighs softly, and nods again. "Bloody indeed... I certainly hope so.. and hope I can find a proper cloak. This cloth smells like horse shit." She yawns then, looking off into the distance where the lightning flashed and the rain fell. She hoped the storm wouldn't move in their direction. Before long she would be leaning against his back,, head resting against him as she tried to sleep a little.

Back
Top Bottom