Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

On the Run (MIDAssassinWolf and Wolvenrogue)

MIDAssassinWolf

Supernova
It had been a normal day so far. Nothing seemed out of place. Ok, well it was as normal as it was going to get around here anyway. It was sad i, i know, living with my family still, and i should have been out on my own. I could be out living on my own, but yet for some reason i stayed. Maybe it was because since my father died years ago i figured my mother needed somebody in the house still. Hell, i would want somebody else in the house as well. Seeing how my little brother was annoying as hell.

It was still morning, around nine. Early for me being up. I normally slept until twelve. I shrugged it off as i looked over to my door. I'd been up for an hour now, maybe two. I wasn't keeping track. My little brother, still in his pj's was sneaking down the hall, or trying to anyway.

Without a sound i moved from the chair behind my desk. Dressed in black cargo pants, and a white t-shirt i picked up a pencil as i moved to the door. He didn't even notice me standing there as he kept moving. His hair was a dark brown, like mine, only i had colored my hair black a few months back.

A devil-ish grin seemed to reach my face as i stepped out into the hall and then flung the pencil from my hand. It hit right into the back of his head. He jumped when it hit him then spun around and looked at me with a glare. "Come now, you didn't think you where that good at sneaking around did you? What did you do this time? Or more like what are you up to now?" I asked with a rather smug grin on my face.

"Who said i was up to anything?" He asked. He was around the age of ten or so, that left twelve years difference on us. "Why not stick your nose in a book or something? Or call over your friends, get you out of the house, and out of my way you freak." He said.

"Why you little brat. I'll show you what a freak is." I said and i darted after my brother who just giggled as he darted off down the stairs. His name was Tommy, though it wasn't often i used his names in the mornings, or anytime after i had just woken up really.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" He called over his shoulder, like a little school girl. Oh how i was going to love ringing his neck, once i got a hold of him.

"Stop running, and face me like a man, you little girl." I told him. We often played like this. Seeing how i was more of the tom-boy, i think it helped him growing up as well, since i was sure he might have been gay if i had been some preppy girl. I was his only older sibling, so he really had nobody else to pick on. I enjoyed picking him him as well. In fact i had been keeping him busy and out of our mother's hair since i had ended up staying here. I think it was clear, in a way, i had no real life.

By the time i had gotten Tommy, and was on the floor wrestling with him, i hear the front door shut. We both waited there for a while as he listened. Mom was home early it seemed. "Later dork." I said silently getting up and making my way back up the stairs that where close by, leaving him there with a lost face.

Closing my door i basically locked myself in there as i acted as though i hadn't even been awake. Our mother worked late nights. Not normal hours really, but after all somebody had to pull the night shifts i guess.

It wasn't until i heard Tommy scream that i poked my head out my door and silently moved to look down the stairs. A man was standing there, a gun in hand. The gun had a silencer on it(I know, who would have though i would have known much about guns right? You would be shocked though as to what all i really knew, compared to what i showed i might know.) and pointed right at the back of my mother's head.

My first thought was to go down and try to get them safe. That was until i watched him shoot my mother. I quickly moved back into my room just before Tommy tried to make a run for it, only to listen to the struggle.

Well, my morning had gone to hell rather fast, not something i had wanted. I locked my door though when there was no more sounds for a few minutes, then listened to footsteps, heading up the stairs.

With my back to the door i waited as they passed by before i moved over to grab my cell phone. I was careful about how loud i talked as i called the cops and waited as long as i could, listening to each door get open, until they tried my door. Locked, but how long would that hold him out?

Dropping the phone when the doorknob was blown off, i dropped and slid under the bed before the door swung open. Fighting back the fear i had the was already threatening me into loosing control and break down, i watched his feet and waited. Seemed like forever until he headed for the door. He didn't keep going though. Stopping and turning back around i tensed and waited, no way out, i was trapped when he came down and found me, pulling me out from under the bed kicking and screaming.

"Shhhh. I'm not going to hurt you." He said as he finally pulled me to my feet, and held me firmly in place.

"Like the way you 'didn't' hurt my family?!" I said, glaring at him. Despite my cold and hard look i tossed at him, i couldn't seem to keep the tears locked away like i wanted to.

"No, i've got plans for you." He told me as he seemed to act like he wanted something i wasn't going to give him without a fight about. "Spring rain." He whispered in my ear after having seemed to sniff at me. I just looked at him when he pulled back. "Never mind." He said as he shoved me out the door. "Knowing how this goes, and the phone i had seen on the floor, you've already called the cops anyway. So, i'm not going to kill you. Instead, i'm about to frame you child." He told me, being straight out about it as he took me down to the kitchen.

"Sit right here." He said, sounding as if i had a choice, as he forced me to sit in the chair at the table. I watched him as he emptied what shells he had left in his gun, and took the silencer off, before placing the gun in my hands. "Now, you aren't going to move from this spot until the cops get here. If you don't listen to me, then when you step out of this house, i'll shoot you." He said before leaving me to sit there like he wanted and left while i was stuck waiting for the cops to show up.

Sargeant Carl Smith had never had such an assignment. They wanted him to clear a murder scene, and on his own. whats more they had given him a shoot to kill order. That just wasn't normal procedure. When he questioned it he was told that the order was not negotiable and came from the top. Carl slipped on a bullet proof vest and prepared for the worst, got in his car and headed for the subject address.

Upon arriving Carl drew his weapon and kicked down the door. The house was quiet, he satrted moving room to room and found the gun and spent shells in the kitchen, and bodies everywhere. He worked his way up the stairs, and into the bedroom where he found a young woman, still a teenager huddled on the bed. He was given orders to shoot, but he couldn't do it. He lowered his gun. "What happened here?" he asked.

I sighed when he had lowered his gun. I probably should have stayed where I was told to sit down in the kitchen. But it had been a while, and I figured I was safe as long as I didn't leave the house. I couldn't stand having to just sit there with my mother and brother laying on the floor dead. My room felt safest for some reason. Sitting on my bed I watched the officer who had just lowered his gun. It was the fact that he had pointed the gun at me in the first place that told me that he was ordered to shoot me on sight. Why, I didn't understand, but I didn't care. I was just glad to know I wasn't going to be killed.

The breath I hadn't known i'd been holding I released as I used my hands to dry my cheeks. “I was home with my brother this morning. Our mother had just gotten home from work shortly after my brother woke up. When she came in, there was a man with her. When my brother wanted to scream, he shot them both. It wasn't until he found me and set me up down in the kitchen to wait, that he then left.” I explained to him, in a rush still slightly in shock over how my morning had turned out to be.

"I'm Carl Smith", I said as I lowered my gun. She was only a girl, how could they possibly order me to shoot her. Something was wrong with this. "We better get out of here" I said to her. I took her hand, and on the way out of the house, grabbed the gun, and wiped it clean of prints, and pressed it into her father's hand and walked her out, and to my car.

"I'm taking you with me" he said, "It wont be long before they are after us both. I don't no why, but you have some powerful enemies." I drove quickly to my house. "stay in the car" I said, as I went up to his apartment and retrieved some clothing and food and quickly came back to the car.

"Were getting out of town as quickly and as far as possible. Do you drive?" I asked.

“Yeah, I drive.” I told him. I wanted to ask why he was helping me out, but that just seemed stupid. After all he was a cop, it was his job to help out. Though I had already gathered he was given an order, he wasn't following. So why was he tossing his job to the side just because of me? I wanted to know, I wanted to ask, but I didn't. “Why?” I asked referring to his question if I could drive or not.

I wasn't going to lie, even though he told me to stay in the car, I had been looking around to see if the man from before was out watching or not. I couldn't see anyone. I wanted to make a run for it, just in case, but I didn't move from the car. Even with Carl already back, I still had that erg to run, I wanted to be moving again.

"Were Not going to stop, except for gas until wer at least 2 days drive from here, and if you can drive it makes it easier and faster," I said. You have a price on your head for some reason. Honestly, I don't care what you did, I don't kill someone unless my life or someone else is threatened, I don't care who gave the order, that is just not right! I'll settle with my boss later, but right now we have to get you out of immediate danger, and that takes distance. We also have to change vehicles in a day or two."

I took off down the highway, headed north, I wanted to get somewhere quiet with some cover. Having grown up in maine, that seemed almost ideal. Half the roads up there weren't even marked.

I nodded lightly as I relaxed more once we where moving. I wasn't to sure as to why anyone would be after me, though it was clear somebody was. I ended up trying to recall any reasons, but at the moment I couldn't think of any. That and the man who had come in, I didn't know him. His face didn't look like one i'd seen before. It was the same with his voice, i'd not been able to place it to anyone in the past. I gave a sigh over not being able to get any information from myself and so I pushed it to the side for now.

“Mr Smith.” I said after a while, looking over at him. “If you don't mind me asking, why it is you are helping me though?” I asked, though I added on before he could really answer. “I mean, I can understand where you might not think it's right. But still, you had been given an order, and instead of following it, you are helping me out.” I said. Hell, I just wanted to get the bastard who had come in this morning and shot my family. I figured though that could wait to be planed out later though.

"Being ordered to do something, doesn't make it right. It may offer an acceptable excuse, but if something is wrong, its wrong, and there is no getting around it. I couldn't shoot you, because you did nothing to deserve it. So here I am, on the run with you. I'd sooner live with that than if I had killed you wrongly. Some day the right of what I have done will come to light."

In the meantime we have ground to cover I have a hunting camp 2 miles from the Canadian border, when we get there, we can stop and get some rest, and change vehicals. I have a pickup camper there, and we'll leave the car there hidden in the woods.

Alright, that was enough to keep me from asking any more questions. Also, that had a part of me liking him, but still, at the moment I wasn't letting that show. There was a long drive ahead of us, I knew this already, since if we might stop at any point I might end up loosing it, looking over my shoulder all the time. It wasn't until then that I really looked at him, to see what he looked like. Though I had never really cared what a person looked like, I still couldn't help but look. “Name's Rebecca.” I told him. I didn't think he would know me, and he more then likely didn't. Though i'd had my small run ins with cops when I was younger, I didn't recall him being any of those before. Back then it was all small stuff, before I was of age to be put into anything that would give me time. “I'm glad you're helping me.” I added on with a slight smile. I truly was grateful for his help, even if I didn't really know him. It might have just been the fact that maybe I didn't have anyone now to help me, if he wasn't helping me that was.

"Rebecca is a nice name" I said, more to make conversation than anything. I wanted her to relax and if possible trust me. It would be a long drive, and we would have a lot to deal with on the run, We needed to work together. "Help me stay awake ", I said. "these roads are boring as hell, everything looks the same. I wanted to ask about her family,but under the circumstances that didnt seem like a good idea.

I took a breath as I thought more about my family, but not in the situation it left at hand here. “Tommy, my little brother.” I started out with the runt for some reason. I wasn't sure why, but he was the first to hit my mind to talk about. “He's only ten, loves to get into trouble any way that he can. He's the master at snooping around. Well, when i'm not around that is.” I said, with a rather faint smirk. “Thinks he's the man of the house, likes to act all big and bad, until I start going after him. I'm mainly there to help keep him busy, and out of my mother's hair when she is trying to get some rest.” I told him, talking about it as if nothing had just happened back there. It just seemed easier that way to talk about them.

“Our mother, and a great friend. Works two jobs. She has the graveyard shift down at the morgue, and then that leaves her time to get some rest before she has to leave again. She's also got the day time job as a doctor.” I explained. It seemed rather ironic now that I though about her night job though. It's be her place for a few days before she wouldn't be there anymore. “Despite the fact of not being able to be home much, she was still easy to get along with, and was always there when we needed her.”

“My father.” I said, not worrying to put on the 'our' this time. “He left after Tommy was born, so he never got the chance to know him. He was a truck driver, and so that left him gone a lot as well. But, even when he was home, it was like he wasn't there. He would always get upset all to easy, and then leave, only to come back with some other girl after he had been out drinking.” I explained. “So, it wasn't until a little after Tommy came into the family that he just up and left, didn't bother coming back at all. Just left his things. So, we had to put them out, we needed the space. We don't know if he was the one who came through each time to get his stuff, or if somebody else was just taking and going.” I told him.

I was trying to help keep him awake. And so even after explaining about each person, other then myself, I even shared some of the times when we all had been able to spend time together. Though mostly it was about how Tommy and I would go at it, often to find ourselves in the end rough-housing around.

As I drove the state highway further north we were soon surrounded by wilderness. "Watch for a gas station ahead on the left in the next few miles. We have to stop there, cause its the last one for almost 300 miles, and we'll end up stranded if we miss it. When we get there I'll let you drive a while. Its three more hours till we get to the hunting camp. I was starting to nod after 6 hours of driving but decided to just hang in their till we got to the gas station. As we drove on through the dark I told her about how I had grown up wanting to be a cop, and to "serve and protect" I had never in my wildest dreams ever expected to be ordered to kill. I was almost enough to make me leave the force after almost 20 years.

I listened to him tell me about himself, and get to learn some about him. It was nice to get to listen to him, and hear about some of the things from his past. All the while, I kept my eyes out for the gas station. When I spotted it, I pointed it out for him. “There it is.” is told him. I could really tell he need the rest. Though, honestly I didn't know where it was where where really going just yet. But, I figured enough that, unless he pointed her in a direction, then it was just to keep on driving later.

I pulled into the station and started to pump gas. I filled the tank, and also a 5 gallon can. "Stay here" I said then went in to pay. As I did the TV was on and just as I was leaving, I saw our pictures up on the TV screen. I hurried out to the car, hopped in and took off quickly. I didn't bother changing places, I wanted out of there now. "Were already on TV!" he said. "We got to get to the hunting camp soon." We need a different vehical and different clothes, and as soon as we can get it, some hair color".

I looked at him when he came back in a slight hurry, and got behind the wheel. I'd thought he would have swapped seats, but he didn't, and so I waited until he spoke. My eyes went wide at hearing about the fact we where already on TV, not the something I had wanted to hear at that point. I didn't get it. Why put us on the news? Couldn't they had just listed us as dead or something? Or was there just something more to things then I was seeing? I had questions swimming in my head as I listened to his words. “Find a place to pull over.” I told him after a little while. “You need the rest, even if it is only for a few hours. And i'll drive. Just point me in the right direction first.” I told him.

I pulled to the side of the road, and we switched seats. "Thank you" I said, grateful for the rest. " its another 100 miles before we have to turn on route 19 I said then you go west Wake me up when your at the turn or if you need help. I collapsed back in the seat and closed my eyes trying to sleep. It was useless though and I had to settle for relaxing my eyes and aching muscles.

"We should be safe at the camp for a few days, but we cant stay long" I said. "At least after that we will have the camper"

I nodded as he gave me directions and I let him rest as best he could. I could tell he was having problems getting to settle down and rest, but I didn't say anything about it, and kept driving, leaving him to settle down. I'd thought after he was done giving me directions though that would have been all from him. I wasn't going to tell anyone though that he almost startled me when he spoke again.

It seemed to be a little while before I reached the turn he had wanted me to let him now about once we had gotten there. Pulled more to a stop I wasn't sure if he was out of it or not. “Where here.” I said, giving him a light nudge on the shoulder.

I woke up and looked around. Drive down the road up there on the left about 50 yards, its just a two track but follow it about a mile. It ends at the camp. Theres a pick-up camper there we can stay in. We'll open up the camper get some rest and get some supplies in the morning.

When we finally got to the camp, we got out and and I opened the camper, and started the generator. It lit up and the heat came on. I got out clean sheets for the bed and put them on. Do you want a shower? I asked her, the water should be hot in about 20 minutes.

Glanced around the camper for a second before looking over to him. I knew I probably shouldn't be letting him help me out, but yet I trusted him. Well that and there was the fact that it seemed he couldn't just go back to his job. Unless I was dead. Ok, maybe I shouldn't think about that, hell, I was just glad he was helping me out. The mention of a shower pulled at my attention, I knew I needed on after the day. It would help with my stress level to. “Yeah, might be best.” I said at his question. “What about you though?” I asked watching him for a moment. In a way I wasn't sure if I was asking about what he was going to do about his job, or if it was about the fact that I thought since it was his place he should be getting first dibs on the shower.

"There's plenty of water and time, dont worry about it I said as I got her a towel and a bar of soap and shampoo from the cabinet. It isnt fancy, but the water is warm." I said. "Help yourself." I opened the door to the tiny bathroom and turned on the light for her." I'm going to bring in our things and lock up the car" I said. when I got back in the camper I could hear the water running and the bathroom door was closed. I turned on the radio, and laid on the bed and waited for you to finish.

I let out a sigh by the time I was done and dressed. The shower had helped. Stress gone, and a towel over my shoulder I stepped out. Glancing over to him for a second I gave a soft smile. Ok, so I would admit Carl was down right sexy, a topic I didn't feel like bringing up though. “Still holding up there?” I asked him. What was it? Maybe three in the afternoon? Hell, I wasn't sure, I didn't have my phone on me to be able to pull out and look, not that I was to worried. Though whatever time it might be, i'm sure it should have felt later then that.

I saw her come out of the shower smelling fresh and looking refreshed with her wet hair hanging down he back. "i'm going to shower and then we can either get some rest or go in to town for supplies. " I got in the shower and stripped off my clothes and showered. I wondered what we would do about sleeping, the camper had just the one bed, but it was much safer thantaking a hotel. When I came out I was refreshed and awake as she was. "What would you like to do? get some rest or go for supplies in town?" I was hungry, and planning on getting something to eat if we did.

I don't know if it was the fact that he seemed more awake, or if it was just that he looked good even before then, and even better now, that had be have to actually look for my words. Dang, I really needed to get him out of my mind in such ways for right now. Pushing that all to the back of my mind I offered a soft smile again. “If you are awake enough, I think we need to head into town. No need in holding that off, or it might get harder to get what all we need.” I explained to him.

"Alright" he said, He got in the closet and pulled out a light jacket. "Put this on he said." we need to change our appearance as much as possible. The went to town and into the local walmart. He picked up hair dye, makeup, and a set of hair clippers. The each picked out a new set of clothes, as well as groceries and toiletries. and a set of colored permanent markers. They checked out and paid the bill then stopped in the drive through at the local fast food joint. They got their food and sat eating in the car. "Can you draw at all?" he asked.

I wasn't sure where his question had come from when he asked it, though I gave a simple nod at first. “Sketch really. But, helps to pass the time as needed I guess.” I told him. I'd almost asked why he wanted to know about that, but didn't. I figured if anything he would tell or not, was really up to him if he did or not, as to why he would want to know this. If I could have, I would have shown him some of the things I had done in the past, hard to do though since everything was back at home just sitting around in my room.

Back
Top Bottom