Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adria and Mark: Taken

Mark nodded and downed the rest of the beer. "Good t'see you standin' up for yourself." he said, finally relaxing a bit. her promise that she was fine went a long way. He'd hardly ever heard her promise anything. The squeeze of her hand was welcome and he actually managed to squeeze in return, the pad of his thumb gently caressing the back of her hand as he sat there and regarded her. Then, unexpected by the both of them, Mark stood and moved to her, arms going about her in a hug. The first time he'd really and truly just held her since...

He hugged her tight, swallowing hard as emotion threatened to overwhelm him.

She nodded, smiling more as she saw him relaxing some, and brightly grinned at him when he squeezed her hand, though she was surprised when he wrapped his arms around her, she didn't hesitate, she immediately wrapped her own arms around him and melted into him, burying her face in his chest and breathed him in. She felt the tears roll down her cheeks, that was the only reason she knew she was crying, but they were tears of joy, at least right now, she was back in his arms, back in the arms of the man she loved most, only man she'd ever loved, and she really did not want to leave.

He held her like that for a long time as she hugged him back. She hugged him back! and many of his worries and fears melted away, even if it was just the one beer talking. Mark's hands rubbed her back and he knew then that no matter what had happened, nor how long they had been apart, that he loved her. He always had.

"Oh Adria..." he managed to say, voice cracking with emotion as he buried his face in her shoulder, tears wetting her skin, just as hers soaked into his shirt.

She hugged him tightly to her as she choked out a sobbing laugh, her hands gripping his shoulders, "I don't think I'm going to be leaving anytime soon," she told him softly, the smile heard in her voice. She needed to be near him, and she did not want to leave his arms at all, nor was she exactly willing to let him go, at all.

He wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, in one another's arms, and he didn't care. He held her tight and after a time he pulled back from the embrace, cheeks stained with tears. Then, without thinking he leaned forward and claimed her mouth with a kiss. Their lips crashed together and Mark's kiss was fierce and hungry, verging on desperation as a whimper of need escaped him. Yet that soft sound was not sexual, that was immediately apparent. In it was a mixture of relief, that she had indeed found him, and a simple need for her. Her presence. Her touch. Should he be able to fully heal, he'd never let her go. Never again.

Adria returned the kiss eagerly, just as fierce and hungry as his. Her hands gripped his shirt on either side as she leaned into her, her body pressed into his as she continued the kiss, she tried to pour everything she had for him into that kiss, and more. The forgiveness he sought, though he didn't need it, her love for him, her soul, her need and her want of him, she poured it all into the kiss, and as she did, a soft, small moan escaped her lips and pressed into his.

As she poured herself into that kiss it was easily felt by Mark, and despite what he had told himself all these years, despite how feebly he struggled against it - she filled him. Loneliness, pain and anguish fled in the face of that affection and he welcomed what she gave him. Slowly his heart filled with hope as Adria appeared to forgive him and had moved on with her life. She had done so, why couldn't he?

A low soft sound escaped him, full of emotion and relief both as he realized she could make him whole again. She could help him heal. The desperation of the kiss faded as the hope that she might stay seemed to solidify. Instead, only the hunger remained.

Slowly she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and buried her fingers in his dark hair, holding him to her to continue that kiss. Her world had once again narrowed down to just the two of them. So much so that it wasn't until a whistling sound came from behind the counter that she remembered where they were, slowly, hesitantly, and gently, she broke the kiss, her face flushed from the kiss, amber eyes dark as she looked at him and she grinned, "I forgot we were in public," she told him, making sure the words were heard by him only.

Mark lost himself in that kiss and was bewildered when she slowly broke it, though he smiled as she poke and whispered back, "Me too." It was his first true smile in a long time, and it felt good. That Adria drew such a reaction from him was a good sign. He never wanted her to let go, and yet he knew he must. He slowly unwrapped his arms from about her, letting the pads of his fingers drag over her skin atop the fabric of that beautiful dress.

He turned to Gary with a sheepish grin. "Sorry Gary, this is an... old flame."

"Looks like a new flame to me Mark." he said with a chuckle, but said no more, unsure how his comment might be taken. He'd set down two plates with their food, and another brew for Mark.

Mark looked at Adria and smiled, kissed her lips briefly one last time, and then retook his seat. "You'll love this!" he exclaims, and picks up a fork to eat with. "Aidan's an awesome chef. This is his Imperial Longfin, and it's great!" For the first time in a logn time Mark's old enthusiasm was shining through.

Adria grinned and nodded as she leaned into him a little and started eating. Her first bite and her amber eyes widened, "Oh wow," she said softly as she continued to eat, her expression told him she was truly enjoying the meal, and didn't realize tiny moans, heard only by Mark, hopefully, were sounding off. After a few minutes she finished her meal and dabbed her lips with the napkin, "I do believe I can that often and never get tired of it," she told him with a bright smile.

Mark ate as she did and soon they both had clean plates. Mark sat back in his seat and then leaned over to her, shoulders touching. He sighed then, and though he knew there was a long way to go he knew that healing had begun. "I eat here often." Mark said and then placed his hand over hers, the first time he'd done so on his own.

"Would you like some dessert?" he asked, knowing just the place if she did. They could walk there and by the time they reached it they'd have a bit of room.

She turned her hand under his, their palms kissing now and she laced her fingers with his, "I think that would be wonderful," she replied to him about the dessert, she didn't want to leave him yet, but wasn't sure if he would want her to go to his place, or him to come into her hotel room.

Mark was silent as he regarded their hands, laced together. He smiled as she accepted his offer and he dug a $20 from his pocket and placed it on the counter. "That should cover us Gary." he said and still holding her hand turned to go. "It's a small walk." he said with a smile, and began to lead her away from the Bonefish Grill - the place that would forever be where they truly reunited.

Out in the bright sunshine he squinted a bit and swung their arms gently as he walked. He felt words unnecessary and simply basked in the glow she brought along with her naturally. As bright and warm as anything he had ever felt. It wasn't like the sun - it didn't burn or blister. Yet it felt so warm, so comforting.

Mark felt a familiar wind and pulled her to a nearby gazebo, getting inside the small shelter just as a downpour hit the area, the rain so hard that you could hardly see three feet in front of your face.

Adria followed him out of the Bonefish Grill and leaned into him as they walked along, hand in hand. Then he pulled her under a gazebo and she laughed hard as the downpour started, "Good thing I'm with a local, I think I'd have been soaked through," she said chuckling still.

Yeah, it rains here most every day. You just have to watch for the signs. It'll rain hard like this for maybe thirty minutes or so, then be done for the day and bright and sunny again." Mark smiled softly.

"Ah, well I didn't know that," she said to him as she leaned back against a post, her hand still in his and looked out into the rain, watching the thick curtain of water fall and soak through everything, "I'm hoping your plan is we stay here until it clears up again?" she asked him as she looked back to him.

"Oh yeah, my place is too far to get to, and I assume you're staying at the resort. Besides, only a few seconds in that rain and you'll be soaked to the bone." Mark answered as he stood there, hand in hand. He was starting to wonder if he could love her. His feelings for her had never changed, so he knew what they were. But was he brave enough to act on them? They seemed to easily fall back into the short-lived romance they had had.

Adria watched him. Amber eyes slowly roamed over his face, his eyes, cheeks, hair, chin, then finally settled on his lips. She tightened her grip on his hand, "Yeah, I'm at the resort," she told him softly, then she pushed herself off the post and took the one step to close the distance between them as she wrapped her arms around him, she leaned into him, her head on his chest, "What's going through your head, Mark?" she asked him then, half afraid of the answer.

"It's been a long time Ade, but I still blame myself. I haven't been with a woman since then. I... I just can't bring myself to get close to anyone. Not like that." Slowly he'd wrapped his arms about her and simply held her close now. His right hand stroked her hair as his left caressed along her spine. He closed his eyes and tilted his head down, breathing her in. "I never thought to see you again. I thought I lost you."

She wrapped her arms around his midsection, resting her head on his chest as she closed her amber eyes, "I am so sorry, Mark," she said in a small voice, "That day.... when I thought it would be best we didn't see each other again?" she opened her eyes, and looked up at him, "I really thought I was doing you a favor," she admitted to him, "I was afraid too, not of you specifically, but I was afraid of just about everything else... if I had known how badly I would be hurting because I didn't have you with me, I wouldn't have pushed you away," she finished softly, pain in her eyes, the kind that said she felt her heart ache or even break when she thought of how she pushed him away.

Mark shook his head. "It's not your fault. If we'd have stayed together I'm not sure what would have happened. Maybe you'd have grown to hate me, seeing me every day. Or perhaps I'd view you not as a victim, but..." He stops and just squeezes her close, then moves to sit at a bench near the center of the shelter. He took her along, allowing her the option of picking her own seat; the bend or his lap. He knew he wanted that closeness, but he'd not ask or demand of her. He felt he didn't have the right.

"Mark, it isn't your fault, it was theirs. They made the choices and acted on them, you didn't," she told him, she needed the closeness to him so when he led her to the bench, she sat on his lap, her legs off to one side of him as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pressed her forehead to his, "I don't think I realized it until now, but you're as much the victim as I was," she said softly, hoping she didn't offend him, but they did after all drug him into unconsciousness, knowing full well what he would do if they hadn't done that.

"I should never have brought them along. That they were there at all is my fault Ade." He sighed but did not pull away as she rested her forehead on his. He was not angry at her next words, yet still he felt both disgust and nausea. He nodded, "You may be right, Adria, but still..." he took a shuddering breath and his chest hitched a bit as he fought back tears. God he didn't want to cry in front of her. Her, of all people.

He had been told that before. By therapists, friends, colleagues... but to hear those words. From her. Mark broke. A wracking series of sobs tore through him as she not only forgave him but absolved him of any wrongdoing whatsoever. She was more patient and gracious than he had ever deserved and the fact that she apparently had found him, and wanted him in her life... he was astounded and made so utterly humble in the face of her forgiveness that he simply could not handle it.

So he sat there, face buried in her shoulder and silently wept. Not for himself, not truly, but simply letting go of everything that he had been holding onto all this time.

Back
Top Bottom