Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adria and Mark: Taken

She actually smiled a little at the kiss on her shoulder from him. She covered her face with her hands, glad he still seemed to want to be around her. Relieved actually. After a couple of minutes, she stood, turned the water off and dropped the wet sheets from her and quickly dried off, before she went back into the room and grabbed a pair of jeans, a thick cream sweater and sneakers. By the time Mark came back, she was fully dressed, had just tied the laces of her shoes and was running her fingers through her hair as she stood near a window, looking out blankly.

She then looked over at him and nodded, "I don't have anything to say to them, and I can't think of anything I'd want to do...I already bit one and the thought of having the other one's....," she paused and shook her head, "Anywhere near me makes me nauseous," she told him, but she slowly made her way over to him, wrapping her arms around herself again, "I do however, want to get off this boat," she finished as she looked up at him. She looked probably too pale, and walked gingerly.

Mark nodded. He rubbed her back and kissed her forehead. "We'll get you off this boat. But I have work to do first." He noticed her look, and how she walked and a fresh wave of anger washed over him. Kneeling by the two men he hissed out between clenched teeth. "The minute you touched her you were dead men."

The water here was clear. So very clear. You could see the bottom easily, and it looked like you could jump in and touch bottom with your feet, when in truth it was probably about forty to fifty feet deep.

Mark gave them no ceremony, no comforting words. Simply kicked them over the side.

They struggled, for awhile. Screaming and trying to tread water. But without the use of their legs their arms only kept them afloat for so long. Mark simply watched and waited, and slowly they each slipped beneath the surface, staring wide-eyed up at the boat as salt water filled their lungs.

It was not long before Mark had restarted the engines and they headed for the bay. Once there he slowed and pulled to the docks, flanked on each side by other ships. He turned to Adria, "I suppose you might want to go home? I can take you there and drop you off and we never have to see one another again." By his tone it was easy to tell that was not his desire, but he knew he would not press.

She wrapped her arms around herself, rubbing her arms some as she looked straight ahead. She didn't want to never see him again, but she didn't think she'd be any good to him now. She'd just cause a lot of heartache with how she felt now. Skittish, hurt, wounded. The last in so many ways. So she broke her own heart, and knew she did the same to him, but figured it would be best in the long run, for him, "I think that would be best, take me home, and we don't see each other," she nearly choked the last few words of that sentence and fought the tears that threatened to spill. She refused to look at him right now, knowing if she did, her resolve would disappear.

Mark felt his heart sink... then shatter. "As you wish." he said simply, and went to pack her things, leaving her where she was. Her things were soon prepared and if she wanted to take them with her she could. If not, then he'd simply take them with him.

Mark had docked the ship and went to get the car, and brought it to come and get Adria. Once that was done he drove her home and dropped her off.

Once he stopped the car, she took in a deep breath, "I'm sorry, Mark," she said to him softly. She was sorry for hurting him like this, but she really thought she was doing him a favor. With that, she grabbed the bag he packed for her, and left the car, slowly walking to the front door of her house, when she was on the other side of the door, she looked out the window to watch him, tears streaming from her eyes as she cried for him, for her, for what could have been between them.

Mark merely nodded as she apologized, and despite her intent that apology, from her, made him feel even worse. He watched as she retreated to her home, her parents still not returned, and her form in the window told him she was safe once again. Mark closed his eyes, took a breath, and drove away.

--

The next few weeks saw him sell his car and the boat, leaving him with a nice stash of cash.

17 MONTHS LATER

Mark had found his place of solace, a small island in the Bahamas simply dubbed 'Paradise'. The money had allowed him to almost retire here, and he'd invested in a small shop at the resort. It was a simple souvenir shop, and his life was much more simple now. He'd remained celibate these past months, unable to bring himself to terms with what had happened; the only woman he had ever loved had been raped. Because of him. Insomnia plagued him until he'd pass out, after days of no sleep, and even those periods of rest plagued by visions conjured in his mind of what had happened to Adria. Most than once he'd started to eat a bullet, but found his will to live too strong to take that option.

So, he simply existed. Hollow. A shell of a man that watched lovers come and go from his shop.

When she saw him drive away from her home, and out of her life, Adria sank into the couch and sobbed brokenly. Over the course of the next few months she went saw physicians to help repair the physical damage, and therapy for the mental and emotional. After her two weeks of vacation were up, her parents never knowing what had transpired while they were away, she went back to school. That was where she went through a few plastic surgeries for the damage done below the waist, and therapy for the mental and emotional damage.

17 MONTHS LATER

Adria was healed physically, and enough mental and emotional damage was worked through that she was able to lead a normal life, with very few setbacks. She couldn't seem to find herself able to go on a second date with any man, and had been on a first date with only two in the last year when she started dating again. Thoughts of Mark constantly crept through her head. Six months after she'd watched him drive away, she went looking for him. She found nothing, he wasn't at the listed address she got from her father's employee book, and there was no forward address. Highly disappointed and even crushed, she gave up after searching for three months. Dreams of their short time haunted her, she would wake up crying because he wasn't there beside her.

Now however, school was out, and she decided to go traveling on a vacation without her parents, and by herself. It was a bit of a test. She hadn't actually been completely alone for the past seventeen months, and she decided it was time to do it. Be alone, without another to lean on. Copper hair was pulled back into a pony tail, amber eyes were hidden behind large, dark sunglasses, she wore a simple white and yellow sundress that did nothing to hid her curves, and showed of her legs from mid thigh down, and left her arms bare. Her small feet were encased in a pair of yellow slip on shoes that had a peep hole in the toes, showing her toenails that were painted a hot pink.

She decided to go to the Bahamas, and boy did she like the choice. Warm weather, tropical breeze, bright sun, and a gaggle of other tourists that she passed by. She did promise her roommate that she'd get something, so she was looking through all of the souvenir shops she came across, determined to find something fantastic for her gal pal. She'd been there for two days when she walked into Mark's souvenir shop. She didn't see him when she entered, instead she just went to the right side of the store and started looking around, as she pulled her sunglasses off and twirled them some between her fingers.

Mark was stocking Paradise shotglasses and had his head down. It was only as a form in a blur of yellow passed that he took notice. He could tell the person was female by the shapely legs he saw from the corner of his eye, but it was the scent of rosewood and lavender that brought his attention upward, just as the form moved around a corner.

That scent. He would never forget that scent. Tinged with blood. It smelled of Adria, and he closed his eyes, squinting them shut. Still, he had a job to do and couldn't hide behind the counter forever. So he took a deep breath and stood, opening his eyes.

She had her back to him, and he was glad, for even this woman's hair color was the same. He swallowed hard as he regarded her a moment. "Is there something I can help you with miss?" he asks, voice soft. He moved to the side, not wishing to seem rude.

He steadied himself on the counter as her face came into view. "Adria?!" he asked, voice incredulous. He felt his knees go weak and even after all this time she was as he remembered her. His eyes were wide as he gazed at her.

"Oh no, I'm just browsing," she replied to the question. Though she paused, the voice sounded familiar. She slowly turned around and her amber eyes grew wide, her mouth shaping in to small 'O' before the shock wore off and she smiled brightly, "Mark!" she said as she went over to him, she would have jumped over the counter if she didn't think she'd send him into a seizure of some kind, "I looked for you... Is this where you've been?" she asked him, her smile while still bright, was soft. Amber eyes sparkled in pleasure at seeing him. Even though he looked rough, he still looked incredibly wonderful to her, she couldn't contain herself, she had to touch him in some way, she settled for his hand as she reached out, and rested her hand over his, still looking at him. Everything she'd wanted to say to him and now that she had the chance, she drew a blank, "I never thought I'd find you here, or anywhere to be honest," she admitted to him.

Images of how he'd found her that day, battered and bruised, sex swollen and raw, as well as other places, ran through his head. He blinked, trying to drive the images from his mind, and a weak smile came to his face. As brave a front as he could muster. Then, her touch. Electricity ran through him. The only woman he had ever loved was touching him. With a smile on her face and happiness in her eyes. Was she mad? Delusional?

Mark couldn't move. Couldn't remove his hand from hers. "I... I thought I'd never see you again." he said, a confused and shocked look on his face.

She was beautiful. Radiant even. That such an atrocity had happened to her was something he could not fathom, and never would have guessed by simply looking at her. Part of him wanted to jump the counter and embrace her and the other was terrified that, despite how happy she looked, that she'd shrink from his touch. Cower. That, quite simply, would break him.

"Well, you would have seen me a lot sooner if I had been able to find you a year ago," she told him, still smiling at him, he looked good, her hand tightened around his, as though trying to reassure herself he was really there, and she could not, for the life of her, take her eyes off of him, "I really can't believe you're here," she said to him softly. Her world had suddenly narrowed down to just the two of them when she saw him, more so now that she was holding his hand, "How have you been?" she then asked him, though she was afraid of the answer. Did he still put all of the blame on himself? Did he not want to be anywhere near her because she was 'damaged goods' as she used to think of herself? Was he taken by another woman? Those questions raced through her head, along with all of the possible answers other than the ones she wanted.

"I'm here." he said softly and watched her face as she asked how he'd been. The dark circles beneath his eyes should speak to his state of unrest. Yet he had to be brave, for her. "I've been... well." The lie was rough and he had to get the attention off of himself. He gestured to her with his free hand. "You look wonderful."

Then he lost his words and stood there, unsure how to continue.

She lifted her brows a bit and shrugged at his compliment, "A girl tries," she replied to him airily. She grinned at him again, "When do you get out of here?" she asked him then, "Maybe we can grab some dinner or a drink?" she continued on, hoping he'd say yes to the offer.

Before he realized it he was answering. "I own the place so I can leave any time. It's been slow." His eyes widened a bit and he paused. He didn't want to seem rude. Was he ready? Could he do this? Hesitantly he agreed. "I'd love to get a drink with you." he said, knowing that copious amounts of alcohol might very well help the situation.

She grinned and leaned a hip against the edge of the counter, "You own this place?" she asked, "I'm proud of you, Mark. I don't think I would have had the courage to open a business up," she told him, "So when did you want to go for that drink?" she asked him, feeling butterflies in her stomach take flight.

He nodded and chewed his lower lip as he regarded her. Glancing behind her the store was empty. "Now. Definitely now." he said, while the shock of her appearance was still fresh and he did not take the time to think about it. He pulled his hand away from hers and grabbed his keys and ushered her out as he began to lock the place down. Soon he was ready to go.

"There's a great place, the Bonefish Grill." He stood for a moment, unsure if he should take her hand, then headed off at a leisurely walk.

She grinned and chuckled softly as he ushered her out, suddenly appearing to be in a hurry. Once they were out and he started leading the way, she hooked her right arm through his left and rested her left hand just under the crook of his elbow, "I'm really glad you said yes to dinner or a drink," she told him as she looked up at him, amber eyes growing dark with a desire she hadn't felt since their one time together, she looked away and just leaned into him a little, enough to assure herself he was real and there, as they slowly made their way to the Bonefish Grill.

He stiffened as she took his arm, but did not object, and the way she looked at him sent a chill through him. The she leaned against him and he nodded wordlessly as she spoke her mind. He was unsure of what to say, and in truth there was little to tell. She was here. Now. He knew he should not dwell in the past, yet he had been. He could only hope that in some way her presence here would help him. She certainly seemed to have recovered nicely and he reached over with his right hand and patted her hand where it laid on his forearm.

The walk was not far and soon the Bonefish Grill was in sight. Mark led her inside, greeted friendlily by the staff there, though they looked curiously at the girl on his arm. He picked a couple seats at the bar and pulled hers out for her.

"Because the food is good, and I live just around the corner if I get drunk off my ass." he said with a weak smile. He nodded at the barkeep and said, "The usual Gary. And whatever the lady wants." Gary nodded with a knowing smile and grabbed a brew for Mark and turned toward Adria. "Whatcha need?" he asked, voice friendly enough.

"I'll have whatever your special is, to drink I'll have a Long Island tea please," she said to him with a bright smile. When Gary nodded, poured her mixed drink and went to place their orders she grabbed her glass and sipped from it, "I didn't mean this restaurant, Mark. I mean the Bahamas, why did you choose to live here?" she asked, without realizing what she was doing, she slipped her hand over his again, gently squeezing it, though who knew for what reason? She knew, she saw he wasn't his normal self, not the Mark she knew and loved, she was hoping to some how show him that she was alright, better than alright.

Mark took a long swig of the beer and turned his stool to face her. "It's out of the way. Small, and I never have to deal with the same people for long except for the island staff." Mark felt the liquid courage surging into him and he looked at her more boldly. "I guess you're on vacation or the like? You seem to be... well." He wasn't sure how to even say it. You look healed? How are you feeling? Every question seemed that it could be answered in a horrible way.

She nodded, still smiling to him, "I am on vacation," she said to him, "Decided to return the favor to my parents and ditch them for once," she finished on a grin, "Mark, I'm fine. I promise," she then told him, knowing what he was referring to with is observation, she squeezed his hand gently again.

Back
Top Bottom