Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Lovely Knight ( Mojito & Mr.Fox )

With a click of the door latch, William turned his head to see his Queen exit her bedroom. She was dressed far more casually than last night, yet she was still just as radiant. Now, however, was not the time to think about such things as there were more serious matters to attend to in the dungeon. Walking by her side, the General responded, "Well as for our assailant, he was no real killer. His methods of using a pillow to smother you was the same as a wife would use on her abusive husband. He also gave up as soon as his life was in peril. My deduction is that he was nothing more than rift raft from the streets paid to murder you. With his failure, if he was backed by someone who truly wants you dead, they will send a real class act next time. They will send someone who kills people for a living, someone who would be able to dispatch you without you ever waking up."

Taking a deep breath, William recuperated his thoughts. "I suggest that the best measure would be to assign you a personal guard who is with you every moment of the day. It may seem intrusive, but it is rather difficult to stop actual assassins from getting to their target. That inexperienced thug from the streets was able to get to you, so you can imagine just how easily a professional could do it. You best choice would be to have someone who is an expect in one on one combat as they should be able to best an assassin." By the time he was finished, the pair had already arrived at the doors of the dungeon. Looking at the few guards about the area, William also added a quick comment, "A few more guards to patrol near you quarters could not hurt either."

Ava accepted his well played point with silence. Her jaw nearly dropped. When she had suggested that more guards be stationed in her hall, that was her version of tightening up security. To have someone strapped to her hip all hours of the day. "W-William. Is that really necessary? The walls will be lined men on duty. I can hardly stand the sight or people watching me on the throne, to have someone breathing down my neck all the time?" She knew where this was going. When it came to her safety in William's hands, she would never win this little debate. Both men opened the doors at her sight and they entered a dim dank hall with torches lining the walls. Where she was stubborn, he was logical. Anyone could see the tension in her jaw as she clenched her teeth in frustration.

Ebony locks swirling around her shoulders as she turned and stopped in her tracks and stood before him with a hand pressed to his chest to make sure he wouldn't continue on without hearing her words. "Fine...I'll have my stalker, but I think it should be you. It is a task only the best can handle, the best...is you. Take it, or leave it Will." She had lost her tone of formality for a moment and now spoke friend to friend when the situation really called for something else. "That and every time I go to bed, I'm going to picture some guy staring at me in the middle of the night. " The mental imaged was enough to get her to visibly shiver with disgust.

As the duo walked through the doors into the dungeon level, William listened to Ava's comments on his recommendation. He was somewhat put off by her reaction. Ava was stubborn and did not want to be taken care of 24/7. Still she ended up agreeing with his idea which was a relief to William. To try and ease her uncertainties about this invasion of her privacy, the General told her, "The most important task at hand is your safety. Your kingdom needs you as their leader. If we were to loose you so shortly after your father and while we are still recovering from war, it would be easy for the state to collapse." William also wanted to let Ava know just how much it would effect him if he lost her, but for the moment that would seem unprofessional.

Ava's suggestion though, caught William off guard. "You want me to be by your side day in and day out?" He replied. In truth this was the most logical of choices. He was close enough to her so that she would probably feel the least uncomfortable around him. Also he would be right there to make the decisions in case anything happened. William was also one of the best when it came to combat, so there was no doubt that he could keep her safe. Looking down into Ava's emerald eyes, the man commented, "Yes, my lady. I will protect you with my life as your sword and your shield." William meant every word he said and would make the sacrifice if needed.

A smile tugged at the corners of Ava's lips, but was soon swept away as the task at hand was to deal with her attempted killer. A matter not worth smiling over. Ava couldn't say that it didn't warm her a little that she now had an excuse to see Will all the time. Then again, the man was always a stickler for fulfilling his duties. The atmosphere wreaked of mildew. You could hear a whip go off in the distance. The shriek was their target. Ava had grown accustomed to the sound of screams, over the years. This was not her first criminal. Rapists and murderers alike had been condemned in these very halls. Just at the end of another hall she watched as a guard stood outside of a cell. She looked pass the bars and saw the man laying in a little heap upon the floor in rags behind the bars of his cell.. He won't last. "What fresh hell you have stirred up."Her voice caught his attention. The smell of fresh blood hit her before the sight of his whipped, bloody back. Her face remained calm and composed. She made sure their captive watched as she took the whip from the guards hands. "You need only give me the answer I seek and your life may be spared." Such a piercing glare shot through him. He grinned with blood stained teeth before spitting at her feet. She saw the guard curl his fist in the corner of her eye. A soft reluctant sigh escaped her lips. "There are three things you never do to a women. Never take her for granted. Never think you know what she is thinking. And never think you know what she will do in any given situation."

His forehead rested on the cool floor. "You'll only have me killed."

"You are aware that your crime is punishable only by death? I am being very charitable with you. The only reason you remain alive is because you have nothing to gain from my death directly, so someone sent you. I will have a name and I will have it soon. I'm pretty sure I can give you a little more motivation, should you need it. With or without you I will seek my answer, you are simply a forewarning." Ava openly handed the whip back. "General William?" She questioned her newly appointed General for any words or actions he himself may wished to present. He was the professional in this situation and may have a more tactical solution to retrieving what they sought. The man's eyes grew wide at the name. For what reason, he didn't know. The name was familiar and for some reason struck fear into him. It was just now that the man noticed the looming silhouette of a man behind her.

When arriving to the cell of the accused, a metallic scent lingered in the air. It was the rusty scent of blood the General had become so familiar with. The blood in questioned was coming off of the assailant's back as he laid on the floor in such a pitiful state after being beaten. Just to spite Ava, the man did not seem to yield the information because he said Ava would just kill him anyway. That seemed to bother the Queen and she handed the whip to William, likely hoping her general could get the information out of him.

Placing the whip over the stocks, William whispered to Ava, "May I talk to you in private?" Taking her arm, William led Ava out of hearing range of any of the people in the dungeon to whisper to her what he felt was the best course of action. "As you can see, that man will be very stubborn with us. He knows his life is forfeit based on what he did, so denying us the information we want is the only way he can hurt us. Thus we need to give him some incentive to tell us what he knows. I suggest we strike him a deal, a deal that if he tells us who sent him, we will send him to the forced labor camps instead of executing him. Not only will this give him motivation to provide us information, but it will give you publicity as a human ruler without making you seem too soft. Also I have a feeling that if he is put into the labor camp he will likely be assassinated for crossing his employer shortly after we put him there." William had finished explaining his idea, which would be as effective as it is devious. "Well, what do you think, my lady?"

Lady Ava knew William would come up with a tactic. It was what he was there for. A smile crept upon her lips, he was a true general. She sighed softly and nodded her head once in approval. "So be it. I shall leave you to that, you'll have a better chance at getting what we need out of him. I will see you in my study. I doubt they sent more than one idiot being to end my life, so I think I'll be safe for the time being." She took one more look in the direction of her assailant before walking back down the hall and exiting the dungeon chambers. She took a deep breath of much cleaner air. A chill ran through her body as she looked down the corridor. She looked around for the nearest guard other than the two guarding the dungeon. "You...come with me." She hated to admit it to herself, but she had come so close to losing her life and it was a severely rude awakening. "Accompany me to my study, you can go back to your duties when the general arrives." The chain mail clad gentlemen kneeled in obedience, "Yes your Highness."She led the way, her heels clicking upon the stone floor. Her study was located on the first floor, close enough for business with foreign and local people of importance. She unlocked and opened up the tall doubt doors with her family crest etched into the smooth wooden surface. The walls were mostly lined in bookshelves packed with books. A tall bay window with a seating that overlooked the courtyard. An ornate desk with a high back comfortable chair. Two chairs sat on the opposite side of the desk. Ava intentionally left the doors open and the guard remained stationed just outside of the opened doors. Her heart felt lodge in her throat out of fear. She sat upon the bay window, enjoying the feeling of the sun's rays warming her skin. The outside world continued to function, oblivious to the dilemma that they were now dealing with. A long sigh escaped her lips. The sunlight brightening her green eyes. How she longed to live a more simple life. Her mind continued to drift off as she stared out the open window.

It took nearly half an hour for the General to arrive at his lady's study, after which he promptly dismissed the guards and closed the thick wooden doors of the study so he could speak with Ava in private. Taking a seat in one of the tall backed arm chairs, he rubbed his fingers against the short facial hair on his chin as he collected his thoughts. After a few short moments, he finally spoke, "Convincing that man to give up information took longer than I expected, but I got my information none the less. He made sure I gave him my word in writing that his punishment would be to spend ten years in the labor camp rather that going to face the executioner's ax. I doubt he will still be alive by the end of his sentence though."

Taking a deep breath, William sighed and continued, "The information he did give me, however, is a bit unsettling. He said he was offered 200 gold coins (let's say it is worth about $20,000 in modern US dollars) to assassinate you. He said the person who offered him the sum was a lower noble such as a baron or count. Such a statement does not seem too far fetched based on the amount of coin he was given. This is very troubling though, because the forces behind your assassination attempt were not people from another land, but people from your own court."

Her mind had been so deep in thought she nearly jumped from her seat before the window at the sound of the door closing. The palm of her hand pressed to her bosom in a feeble attempt to calm her racing heart. Her brows furrowed at the news. Someone from her own court? "How -" She stopped herself. Were she to die without an heir, there were ways one could find themselves to her position, through the proper channels. Anyone with enough money to pay for such a simpleton, most likely had enough money to buy their way to the throne. "This is more serious than I had thought. The benefactor may have walked these very halls, on several occasions with multiple opportunities."

She raked her fingers through her hair. Sauntering over to her General's side and resting her own hand upon his. "You are the only person I will trust right now William." She admitted. "Well General?" She said in a hushed tone with a small look of worry as she gazed at the window once more. To the clawfoot desk she walked, going through a few papers and plucking a parchment from a disarrayed stack. It was comprised of a list of all the people of her court. Newly written due to three recent marriages. "Everyone on this list is a suspect." She sighed. Some she did not like, some clearly hated her while others she held favor for. However, just because they seemed nice didn't mean that there weren't any underlying motives. "This is a lovely welcoming back is it not?" She asked jokingly for a moment, hoping to soften the blows of this serious moment that seemed to be draining her at the moment. "Have you yet to see your family?"

The General could see that his lady's eyes were full of uncertainty and this was backed up by her suspicions upon everyone in the court. Taking a look at the list, the ranks of nobility comprised of nearly four dozen people. Though the list narrowed down their search, they were still at a loss who could conspire against the queen. After Ava commented about how without an heir it would be easy for someone to muscle their way in for the throne, William chimed in, "If someone were to try and attempt a shot at the crown using those methods, they would have to be of higher blood. As such that would leave only the likes of the dukes and duchesses. It still, however, would be reckless to just assume that path."

Placing the papers back down upon the polished wood of the desk, William moved to Ava's side and looked down towards his queen's emerald eyes. "For now it will be best to try and observe the actions of the members of the court. Perhaps we can trap the guilty party, but for now we do not have the resources and knowledge to execute one effectively." Looking away from her, the General set a stony look upon his face as he fell deep into thought. He was pulled out of it though by Ava's comment about seeing his family. "Ah no, I have not had a chance to see my father since I have returned. I had scheduled to meet with him this evening, but with our current state of affairs that does not seem plausible. Unless you would be so kind as to travel to his villa with me, as a date perhaps?" He flashed her a warm smile to try and lighten the mood. "Thus I can continue to act as your protection and with a change in location it may possibly become more difficult for our enemy to initiate another attempt."

The topic at hand did bring a smile to her lips. That the two could joke as they once did when they were far younger, was a sweet and reassuring thought. An impish smile graced her lips at the idea of visiting his father's villa. "A date? It would be a first for me ... however it would bring about the opportunity to tell your father how you have been a very insufferable know it all. " But of course, she jested. From the looks of the moon mid day was not far. "Alas ...we shall see your father this evening. For now... should you have any duties you need to perform, I had no plans for this day other than to tend to my garden." This would test.

It had been ages since they were graced with time to spend one another. Although duty made this situation a little different, along with the threat upon her life. So much had changed. Both held astounding duties. Carved lives the other knew little about. "There is a scheduled council meeting meet two nights from now. To discuss the taxes. " It was a fact she thought he needed to know. It would be a nice place to view all potential witnesses.

William tried his best to ignore Ava's teasings about telling his father off, and instead turned his attention to the question she presented him. "Well, I currently have no plans for this afternoon. I have just gotten back so I really have not been able to schedule anything as of yet. Of course, nothing right now arises to the same level of importance as staying by your side and watching out for potential threats on your life. Perhaps I should accompany to your garden to watch over you. We can perhaps continue to spend time in each other's graces." William smiled softly to Ava as he said this, trying to make her feel at ease in this situation. As for now, he concluded they were safe. Another assassination attempt would likely not come on the same day as the failed attempt. If it did, he was with her to make sure it ends in another failure.

After Ava, spoke about her proposed meeting with the nobles over taxes, he added, "Well, it is a good chance for use to observe just who we are dealing with. If your entire court is suspect, I'm sure there will be some suspicions that we can use to narrow down the field. As for now, my lady, how about we retreat to your garden. I have not seen the flowers of royalty for at least a decade." After speaking, William presented his arm for Ava to take if she so wished to accompany him in that manner.

A sweet smile painted itself upon her pink lips as she graciously accepted his arm. This was a much more comfortable moment than earlier. Best friends rather than Head Lady and General. The formalities were given some slack, at least on her end. "So.... I guess this means no more sneaking out to the field at night." A sigh escaped her lips. "I must confess that I have been sneaking out, pass the guards with a cloak and taking Lilith to the field by the creek. Oh William, you have to see it. The moon is so bright and the wind plays with all the fragrant flowers." She giggled to herself. "Despite my position, I did worry the guards and received quite the lecture. You would think they were each my father... or you. " He was stubborn in his youth and could, at times, be very protective. Even when it didn't involve her life on the line.

Ava was so lost in thought, it wasn't until her hand reached for the castle side door that she realized that they had reached their destination. Upon opening the door one was greeted by a warmth of sunshine and the sweet and commingling scent of various flowers in bloom. The shade of a very old tree hovered over the heart of the garden. A gust of wind playing with the loose tendrils of her raven mane. Here and there was a stone bench. Her mother had worked so hard on this garden and she followed in her mother's footsteps to gaze upon this very serene scene.

"Is it as you remembered William?" Her voice light and in awe. The warmth licking at her flesh. It was the mos relaxing moment she had had all day. It was almost hard to believe that Will was still at her side. "I find it funny...here you are home, on what was suppose to be a time of reprieve and yet you continue to work. I feel so selfish."

Back
Top Bottom