Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Lovely Knight ( Mojito & Mr.Fox )

Ms Mojito

Star
Ava sat in her bed chamber before her vanity. Her ladies attending to her hair. Upon the cherry wood surface of her vanity sat a pile of parchment letters that had been sent back and forth from her friend from afar. Emerald eyes gazed down at the red velvet gown she now dawned for such a special occasion. A gold corset that laced up the front, holding, what didn't threaten to spill over, against her chest. Ebony locks hung in curls, cascading about her slender shoulders. A gift from her dear friend lay nestled just above her breasts. A radiant ruby hung by a gold chain.

"Thank you ladies." Crimson lips smiled and her ladies-in waiting were dismissed. The ball was to take place at the Lockland Castle. Oh how she crossed her fingers that Will would be able to take a time of reprieve from the war. A look at the moon told her it was time to begin. The hostess was needed to welcome her guests. A trip down the stone corridor with tapestries hung down the hall led her to a gorgeous ball room. Pillars of marble and a fountain of water in the center. The music was already playing. A high table brought in for their Highness. Fellow Lord's and their wive's, Counts, Duchess'. Anyone of decent rank would be arriving this night. However there was only one person she was dying to see.

Ava carried the poise and grace of a Lady caring for her own keep so it wasn't trained into her to pounce upon her General at first sight. William had always been serious about upholding his manners and loyalty to her family. Things had changed in the hundred years he had been gone. Ava herself had grown fully. Will had left as a young knight and was to return a Captain. Guests began pouring in but he had still not arrived. Her duty as the greeter was soon over and she now conversed with other guests, glancing frequently at those heavy front doors, hoping to see him walk through. A goblet of wine held between her fingers got her reminiscing of the first time she had even met him.

Always in the library she was. The son of a general drilled to become a general himself. There was the only heir to her father's land and fortune. Crystal green eyes peeking in on him. Quite unsuccessfully a few times. He was hardly allowed to play as a child but one night Ava did confront him and giggled in his direction as she threw him a ball. Unfortunately his father had smacked it out of his hands and demanded he concentrate.

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she came back to reality. Every suitor that approached her for her hand in marriage had been turned away at the doorstep. Why? She knew not. She was simply not in love with them. No one really. Or so she thought.

It had been many years since William has been able to return home for leisurely recreation. He had been able to return home for mere weeks at a time, but he was never able to fully enjoy his stay before returning to the battlefield. Over the past decade the country had been in a constant state of war with several surrounding kingdoms. Due to some political turbulence caused by the deaths of several key nobles the surrounding kingdoms decided now was the time to try and expand their lands. This is why William left when he was such a young knight, a twenty year old captain to be exact.

Now at the age of thirty, William had been freshly appointed as a general in the Kingdom's army due to his exceptional service. In the past few years of the war, William was able to lead his troops to a significant number of battles, the last being the decisive blow that ended the long and tedious set of wars. returning home a war hero, a ball and banquette was thrown in his honor by a dear old friend of his; Lady Ava Lockland. Since he had been sent off to war back at the age of twenty he had not had much of a chance to meet with her. His visits home were too short and oddly enough she would always be busy during his retreat. The two, however, still wrote each other frequently and exchanged gifts. These were of course just friendly gestures as William only thought of her as the young lady from long of go and not as a woman.

Walking through the large doors of the Lockland Castle, the General William Todd had finally made his appearance. He was a tall man, standing about six feet tall with broad shoulders and a strong build from years of training. His physic was robed in the uniform of a warrior, though lacking the armor he would have worn into battle. He had dark brown, nearly black, hair slicked back allowing full view of his distinguishing facial features. He had narrow set green eyes which emitted a piercing and intimidating glance on whoever they were set on. He had a strong jawline complimented with a neatly trimmed beard styled in the latest style of gentlemanly fashion. William definitively had a presence about him that demanded people's attention and their respect.

Before William could even relinquish himself from his heavy and thick bear skin winter coat, he was abruptly swarmed by the guests of the party. Older nobles complimenting him on his service, young men wanting to see the famed warrior and pretty women trying to catch the eye of the famous hero. All trying to greet him, to speak with him and to congratulate him on his promotion to general. These were not the people William had come to see, but for now he could not just brush them aside and instead put up with their badgering.

A sweet smile lingered upon her lips as those eyes watched the guest's attention shift to the door. Quickly she turned and looked. There he was. Looking quite polished and uncomfortable. The first thing she noticed where his eyes. Oh how many times had she threatened to gouge out his eyes to keep them for herself when they were younger. "William." The word were but a whisper upon her lips. All the guests swarmed the guest of honor. Hoards of courting woman made a bee line for her dear friend.

Ava couldn't stop smiling. What started off as a slow walk sped up a little, the sea of people parting for the hostess to come through. Everyone clapped at his appearance, welcoming him back. Up the stairway she walked, unable to take her eyes off of him until she was on equal footing with her new General. "You are late." The only words that sprung from her sweet crimson lips. "Leave it to you to be late to your own ball....General." A small laugh accompanied her words. Oh how handsome he had become over time. "I saved you a seat at the high table with a few other people who wish to make your acquaintance....and myself, if you wish." The dear girl had a tendency to talk on and on. Something Will loved to point out to her.

An arm wrapped about his own. "Come, we must not keep them waiting." Soft words meant for only his ears. The walk seemed to last forever at his side. Various people stopped them along the way to give their welcomes and praises. Ava managed to snatch up a tankard of mead and offered it to her friend. Just his presence managed to bring chills of excitement upon her exposed flesh. However there was that endless nerve that bothered her. What would the he do? How long would she have before he would leave to the battlefield again. It almost seem scary to get her hopes up. It was clear that Ava was wandering and lost in her own mind when she should have been celebrating William's return. Her free hand mindlessly fiddled with the ruby hanging from her neck as she continued on.

As the group continued to ask questions about the General's heroic campaign, William tried to answer them the best he could before being caught up in another question. For now he was trapped trying to be polite, but that changed when there was a velvety voice that came over the crowd. Despite sounding almost angelic, the subject matter it carried was of a more stern topic, stating that he was late. Turning towards the voice, the young general saw the radiant hostess approach him.

"Ah, Lady Lockland, it is so nice to see you tonight. As for my tardiness, I have no excuse, but I did make it after all. I would have been devastated if I could not of made it tonight as we have not seen each other in such along time," William responded to her. He took note of how beautiful of a woman she had become over the years of separation between the two. In fact if he had not seen her on several sparse meetings over the years, he would not of recognized her from the girl he knew ten years ago. "You have grown into a fine woman over the years I have been away, Ava," he added as a compliment while taking her hand and placing a kiss upon the back in a courtly fashion.

Lacing his arm with her's, William nodded in agreement, "Yes, I am sure I have already kept them waiting long enough." The general followed the lady he accompanied across the lavish hall, stopping every few feet to either shake hands or chat with the guests of the party. On one such occasion, he was offered a mug of sweet mead by the lovely hostess which he accepted gratefully. After taking a sip of the golden beverage, he commented, "It has been so long since I have tasted mead of this quality. I hope, however, I do not indulge myself so much I make a fool of myself." He gave Ava a wink only she could see as they walked along the ballroom floor.

Despite being in such a setting, William had noticed that his companion seemed to have lost herself in though. He particularly noted that she continuously toyed with her ruby necklace with her long slender fingers that hung above her deep cleavage. In attempt to lighten the mood, William stated, "I see you are wearing the gift I sent you three years ago. I am very glad to finally be able to see you wearing it, the jewel really does suit you.

Her mind snapped back from all other thoughts at the sound of William's sweet voice. "Thank you. It is my favorite jewel." Blood rushed to the fair maiden's cheeks as she released the gem from her grasp. Finally the two had approached the high table. It appeared as though all but two people were mingling amongst the other guests. An elderly gentleman and his companion smiled as the duo approached. " General William Tod I would like to introduce you to Lord Fenrir de Beaumont, retired head of the royal guard., and his lovely wife Lady Eloise de Beaumont. " The two were but another set of parents when her father passed. Lord Fenrir was a legend in his youth. Fight.ing against all odds and coming out on top. He was also her father's right hand man. "Ah!! Have you come for her hand? She isn't getting any younger. " the old bat threw her a smile beneath the mustache concealing most of his lips before placing a kiss upon his wife's cheek. Ava had no moment to intervene before Lady Eloise threw her two cents in. He is right. Have you any idea how many suitors she has turned down? "

"Please, please this night is not about me. Besides this is neither the time nor the place to discuss such things. It is the night to celebrate his promotion. " she released her guest and offered him a seat at her side. Never had she felt such embarrassment as this. "I'll give you a moment to relax." Right on cue his food was served and a young nobleman gave his congratulations before boldly asking for a dance. The last thing she wished to do was smother her friend so she kindly excused herself before the charming blonde haired blue eyed gentleman had her dancing with a smile upon the floor, laughing from little jokes as they danced about the room.

William felt an odd sense of satisfaction when Ava told him the jewel he had gotten her was her favorite. By now the two were at the high table and Ava introduced him to an elderly couple. To his surprise, it was the famed Lord Fenrir and his wife. Bowing his head slightly, the general payed his respects as he said chuckling at first, "No, I have not come to sweep the fair lady off her feet just yet, but regardless it is a pleasant surprise to see you Lord Fenrir de Beaumont. I am honored to have the famed, former Captain of the Royal Guard grace the party thrown in my honor. I hope, with my promotion to general, that I will serve this kingdom as well as you did." In truth, Lord Fenrir was a role model William had when he was growing up as a boy. Back when he was a boy, Fenrir was in his prime, a man who probably led many a boy to choose the path of a soldier.

As for the elder couple's banter about Ava turning down numerous suitors did perk his interest somewhat. He was curious as to how many suitors she did turn down. Due to Ava's position and beauty that number was likely quite high. Still what could her reason be? His thoughts were interrupted, however, by the food being brought out. The spread was quite a feast, sporting everything one could wish for. Before William had a chance to fill his plate, another noble came to pay his respects before taking Ava to the dance floor. Once Ava had left, the young general turned to the old man and asked, "So just how many suitors has the young lady refused?" As he waited for the old man to reply, William's eyes wandered to the dance floor where he watched Ava move about with a grace that one rarely sees. "It seems Ava is no longer the troublesome girl that used to follow me around ten years ago is she?"

By the smile painted on Lord Fenrir's lips, one would never guess how many lives were cut short by his very blade."I've heard tales of your ventures as well. I've no doubt your name will be gracing everyones lips for years to come. " As the question of his dear Ava arose the battle veteran took a huge gulp of mead before deciding what to say. The elder man's eyes watched as his adoptive daughter graced the floor with her presence. "She has come to terms with her father's death. No longer could she act like the little girl she once was. While the council still has to consent to all decisions until she os proclaimed Queen, the girl knows that the lives of the people are in her hands.." A smile graced his lips once again as Ava graced the arm of yet another lucky gentleman. "Were it up to her father, she would already be married to a man who he thought would take care of his precious daughter and kingdom. Ah, but yhe lass holds the passion ans personality passed on by her mother. She only bends for the will of love." Lady Eloise intervened by placing a loving hand on top of her husband's. "The princess secretly fears a broken heart. After turning down a prince she said to me that it was easy for one to get their heart broken, but it is a painful and long task to put the pieces back together. She only commits to her duties. Even as nobleman, knights, and princes come from afar to grace her doorstep, many leave with the feel of an arrow through the heart. To hear such words of rejection pass such sweet lips. One would never know, simply by looking, that she harbored such feelings of sorrow behind a very convincing smile." Ava now headed back to the table to rest her feet and see how William was fairing.

William listened to the old man's words as he spoke, paying keen attention to the details. Mean while, he ate some of his food at a conservative pace in order to seem as if he was not too interested in Ava's marital status. In truth William was unsure of his feelings for Ava, but he knew there was some spark he felt for her when he saw her for the first time in many years. "Well I understand, Lord Fenrir. I never would have guessed that was her situation. Personally I believed that perhaps she had her eye on someone and that is why she has resisted all her suitors," William replied adding one last statement to be heard by his thoughts alone. I am glad that is not the case.

When Ava returned to the table, William spoke to her in a casual tone, "I am sure you have worked up your appetite after dancing. After you have eaten and rested a bit, perhaps you will give me the pleasure of being my partner for a few dances. It should allow for us to catch up on old times." Waiting for her answer, William reclined back in his chair and took another swig of his mead, before taking a few more bites of his meal.

Ava came back to the table sporting a smile as she took a seat next to her friend. "Oh...no need to wait. I've already taken my fill before you arrived." She did, however, partake in a goblet of wine. The liquid arrows shooting through her body and loosening her lips a bit more. It was more than she had ever drank in quite some time. She ignored the aching of her feet just to get a dance in with her best friend. "Come... you remember the little girl that had bid you farewell on the first day you took leave. You owe her a dance after ten years and she is more than happy to collect her due." Lord Fenrir stood up and chuckled as he placed a kiss upon her for head and swiped the goblet without her noticing. "What in heaven's name was that for?" she asked with a very curious tone. Secretly the goblet was handed to Lady Eloise as the duo both thew endearing smiles at their youngest pride and joy. "You are simply glowing tonight my dear... and we shall be retiring for the night."

Lord Fenrir whispered into the general's ear, "Please keep an eye on her...she has been rather stressed as of late and deserves a good time...not too good of a time though." The old man winked before placing a sweet kiss upon Ava's hand before leaving her presence. "Good Night Lord Fenrir, Lady Eloise...It was lovely having your company."

Finishing off the last few of his supper and taking the final swig of his mead, William stood up and smiled at the Lord and Lady as they were preparing to leave before saying, "I appreciate your attendance and I do hope you have a safe trip home. Even though we are currently not at war, there are still many highway men lurking along the roadsides. So please be cautious on your way home, though I do believe you could handle a pesky thief." William then gave Lady Eloise a slight bow and took Lord Fenrir's hand to give it a firm shake before waving them off for the night.

Once the noble couple had left, the General returned his attention towards the lovely hostess. "Now about that dance I owe you?" he asked with a smile and a teasing tone before taking her delicate hand in his lead her to the dance floor. Once they were in the middle of the dance floor, William took her left hand up in his right, lacing the fingers together and pressing their palms together. With his left he placed it on Ava's lower back pulling the woman closer to him. With her body close to his, he started to lead, moving his feet in a way that made the two sway across the dance floor.

"Now that we have some privacy, where should we start? Should we start off from the day I went to war, or should our recollections be more current, for instance when I sent you your ruby necklace that looks so stunning hanging from your neck?" the General said with a smile as he gazed into Ava's emerald eyes as the two rocked back and forth as they danced. "I am sure a lot has happened to us over the course of ten years."

A froth of curls spilled over her shoulder, onto the generous expanse of her bosom. She feigned a great affront, " Now you wish to get to know me? Am I no longer the annoying young lass that hung about all the time?" The exposed skin of her shoulders glistened like porcelain. Affixed on a fine gold chain was her ruby nestled in the velvet cleavage of her breast. There were no feathers or pearls in her hair, no bracelets circling her wrists. The simpleness unexpected of a noble woman. A simple woman of the ton dancing with a friend that she missed so dearly. A shy smile sat upon her lips as her eyes looked around for a second. "We have an audience." Her soft lips whispered. More than a few heads were turning their way.

She bowed her head, leaning her forehead against his chest. She could hardly breath, her heart was beating too loudly. The words of caution would not come, the warning not to spend her emotions too lavishly, make herself too vulnerable. The past few years had altered her. She was no longer the confident woman she'd thought herself to be all her life. Instead, she was a person wary of others. "You were charming as a boy....the man frightens me." What truly scared her was the emotions he stirred within her.

She stopped in her tracks. Lacing the fingers of both of her hands with both of his. "I would like to talk to you in privacy...real privacy. Do you mind?" Her mind was throbbing for a moment. Ava bit her lower lip out of nervousness. She looked at the high table and looked at her Lady-in-waiting. If her mistress were to leave the room she was to see to the closing of the ball.

After hearing Ava confront him about her being and annoying lass, the general could do nothing but left a wolfish grin cross his lips. "That I do not know, but what I do know is that I am not the foolish young lad I once was. If I knew I would have been separated from you for so very long, I would not have acted so stubborn around you." He then paused for a moment after she spoke of the audience. To keep his words just between them he leaned in to whisper something into her ear, his warm breath basking her velvety skin as he spoke, "I should be kicking my self for choosing a life that kept me away from a beauty like you." His words, though flirtatious, were more sweet nothings than anything else.

Following up after her words of him frightening her, William continued with his teasing, "Time changes people. I was a boy back then, but over the years I have gained experience in many different areas. The experiences is what has transformed me into a man. A man that frightens you, I can not fathom why you would be so intimidated my lady. I, however, have also noticed a change in you. When I left, you were but a cute girl and now you are easily the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes upon." The General's bolder words were not only from the buzz the mead gave him, but also from his primal desire to long for such an alluring woman.

Noticing his partner's sudden lack of movement, William also abstained from continuing the dance. He gazed down at the woman as she laced her other hand with his and spoke a few peculiar phrases. What really drew his attention was not Ava's words, but the way she nervously bit her lip in a rather cute fashion. "Well if a private conversation is what my lady requests, her General will follow the order."

William's sweet words tugged at the corner of her lips as she snatched up another goblet of wine in her free hand. With a sweet smile she wrapped her arm around his and guided him to a hall. The sea of people parted as she made her way through the crowd. She guided him down a cold stone hall lined with torches on the wall. She stopped at a set of doubled doors and opened them up. The warmth washed over her as the flames beneath the hearth brought warmth to the room. The room was a near reflection of her own. A weapon rack to the left of the door. A bar to the left of the fireplace with the finest drinks. Two chairs and a sofa before the fire. A mahogany four pillared claw foot big bed with feather filled pillows and thick sheets over a soft surface.

It was his bed chambers. She had ordered a fire lit to warm the room before his arrival. She released her dear friend from her grasp and walked over to a chair before the fireplace. It was a much calmer atmosphere that helped clear her head. The light of the fire reflecting in the ruby against her creamy skin and the emeralds of her eyes as she took another sip of wine, the liquid arrows shooting through her body. "Its been forever and a day Will. I see your skills in flirtation have been well honed. " She gave him a more familiar comfortable smile as she took another sip of wine. Her eyes looking at the man that was one a boy that climbed trees with her. He was handsome to say the least. The body of warrior with a sweet and suttle words of seduction.

The general followed his hostess through the halls of the castle wondering where she was taking him so they would be able to talk in a more private setting. It turned out Ava had led him to his own guest bed room. The room was styled rather lavishly, but that was to be expected in the home of a future queen. "You sure know how to treat your guests well my lady," William told her with a smile as he took a look around the room.

Taking a seat in the arm chair adjacent to the one Ava was sitting in, William looked over to her, watching the light from the fire dance across the exposed pale skin of her face and bust. "It has been a long time, but rest assured, I have honed other skills as well," the man said with a chuckle. Taking on a more serious disposition, he gazed over into the woman's eyes as he asked, "Now what is the reason you wished to have a private conversation with me? Is this something of political matter or is it more personal? Perhaps it could be related to the reason why you have not taken kindly to any of your proposed suitors?" William was being careful with his words, but they were still a tad bold, but he only played off of the mood of Ava's body language and tone of voice.

The ebony haired lady feigned distress before her lips sprouted a lax smile and looked into the flames beneath the hearth. "I apparently left you and Lord Fenrir alone for too long. It is not as bad has he may makes it seem. I had no time for such things. The war and the welfare of the kingdom is my first priority, not tending to pompous, charming, money hungry men." Her words were unexpected of a woman of her title, but the listener was one of very few that she trusted. "I wanted some alone time with you. It's been too long and you are the only guy I've wanted to see grace my doorstep." Her head was cleared of all worrisome thoughts as she relaxed more and more.

William watched her as she tensed up before she spoke. Fortunately by the end, Ava seemed to have loosened up. In response to her, William spoke, "Well the war is over, at least for now. The most important thing that we may do now is work to strengthen the bonds of the kingdom. A strong kingdom will prevent further attacks as well as providing a strong defense if we are ever preyed upon again." Gazing into her eyes, he smiled and added, "I am relieved that our Queen is a strong, stable woman like you."

Reclining back into the large armchair, the General's eyes wandered over to watch the fire for a few moments before he returned his gaze back to Ava. "Well now that we are alone, where should we start? Should we chat about the good old days of when we were mere children? Perhaps politics would be a fitting choice. I could also bore you with my old war stories as well." He chuckled softly before continuing, "I, however, am gracious for us finally being able to spend some time together. Hopefully I will not be pulled out to the field anytime soon. For now that does not seem like it will be the case."

Ava gave William half a smile as he graced her ear with another compliment. " I hope you will be able to stay for a while. It's been quite some time since I could be so lax with my duties. But for you...anything." A little laugh escaped her lips as she thought about the days when they were young children. "You were always so pompous as a child. Always trying to prove you were the best. " Her pursed lips emptied the contents of her goblet before she gazed at her friend with a bit of a twinkle in her eye and an odd alien feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Lady Eloise's son said that you were just showing off." The bright light of the fire caught the whites of her smile over the edge of her goblet. She placed the empty tool on the table and stood up from her chair and stood herself behind his. The soft palms of her hands covering his eyes. "I know of one game that you could never seem to win. " She laughed softly in his ear. "You never thought to look in the wheat barrels, or the apple tree, or in the stables." It was a lovely thought. Half the time she had almost given herself away with fits of laughter as he searched endlessly for her. Her fingers slid from over his eyes and slid down the front of his chest as she hugged him from behind with a weary sigh. "I missed you William." She sighed with a calmness that cleared all nervousness and worry.

The General just sat in his chair while he listened to Ava speak. A smirk crossed his lips when he heard Ava's comment about how he was a pompous child and about how the Lady's son thought he was just a show off. William did not say anything just yet. As he was about to say something Ava had gotten up and walked behind him placing her soft hands over his eyes, taunting him about how he could never find her. The next thing the young Queen did was totally unexpected. After she was done covering her eyes, her hands slid down to his chest and she gave him a warm hug.

Placing a hand on her's, William gently pulled Ava's arms off of him so he could stand and turn to face her. Looking at the woman, he responded by announcing, "Well I have told before, I have missed you as well. As for me being a show off, I remember that I was likely showing off for you, to catch her eye. Still should I be as pompous as to suspect that perhaps I am one of the reasons as to why you have not chosen a suitor?" He gave her an assuring smile as he placed his hands on Ava's slim waist pulling her closer so that his chest pressed against hers.

Ava felt as though her heart had lodged itself in her throat for forever. Those all to familiar green eyes, locking on his next victim. Her breasts pressed to his chest. She could feel the muscular silhouette of his body. The physic of a warrior with a gentle touch. Soft hands slid around his waist, resting at the base of his spine. "Bold....rather bold." Her glistening lips whispered so that these words fell upon his ears and his ears only. "And if it were true?" Her hand couldn't help it. While one hand stayed in placed, the other explored the lines of his jaw and the rugged texture of his facial hair. "You've always held a special place in my heart Will, you should know that. How much of my heart you own, well. We'll have to see."

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she looked down at his chest, straight ahead. I had better be off to my bed chambers, lest someone think we're up to no good. The last thing we need is a scandal on your first day back.

William enjoyed the few moments he had to embrace his long lost friend. As Ava ran her fingers along his jaw and teased him with her words, he replied, "Well you should know how well I can conquer things Ava." He smiled at her and then let her go as she said that she should retire to her own bed chambers so that people would not start rumors of the two. "Alright, it is getting quite late. I hope you sleep well and I hope to see you in the morning. I should also settle down myself and unpack for my stay."

Leading Ava to the doorway of his chambers, the General placed a hand on Ava's cheek before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on the other. Smiling at the woman, he told her, "I think that was long over due. Goodnight your majesty." He then opened the chamber door so that Ava could leave if she so wished.

((Should we do some ooc plotting via pm?))

The feeling of William's calloused masculine hand warming and cupping her cheek as left a tingling sensation where his lips gently kissed her flesh. It was a feeling long overdue. It took all her effort to not stay with him a bit longer. "Good night Will." Her lips threw him a lax smile as she turned and headed across the hall to her own chambers. A door identical to his with a slightly different interior. She cracked the door and her silhouette slipped in and gently closed the door behind her. Her back pressed against the door as a broad smile graced her lips. She couldn't have been more happy. A sweet sigh escaped her lips, relieving some of the pent up happiness that had built within. Slowly she unlaced the front of her gown, he mind reliving the entire evening with a never ending smile. The dress fell in a pool of fabric at her feet until she was soon bare. The flames beneath the mantle licking at her exposed flesh. The light dancing with the creaminess of her skin. Moment's later she dawned a long chemise gown, held up with thin straps over her shoulders. The worn gown, now put away. The cool night air refreshingly blew through the open window. A canopy of start twinkling back at her, reflecting in those deep green eyes. One more time of piece and she soon walked to her four pillared bed. Crushed red velvet curtains hung about for privacy on all sides. She allowed them to remain open, allowing the warmth from the fireplace to reach her. Tucked beneath blankets up to her shoulders. Cuddling a pillow until she soon fell asleep. The crackling logs and her steady breathing were the only noises to be heard for hours. In the still of the night the fire had reduced to embers. Warmth seeping from the room through the open window, causing her to bury herself and toss the blankets over her head. Twilight had come about, usually by now she was already awake along with the few servants that would be tending to the castle. A bath would soon be brought in. Her ears heard the knock upon the door. "Enter." She mumbled in her sleepy haze as she lay limp on her stomach upon her pillows. Soon she heard the door close once more, assuming the person had left, as usual. She turned on her back only to gasp as a pillow as placed over her face, muffling her cries. She writhed beneath the weight of someone's body. She could feel a body sitting on her thighs. In the midsts of scrambling, one of her hands scratched at the person and managed to knock a silver platter with a goblet and a pitcher to the floor, making a loud racket. "You are not fit to rule this land." The words were whispered in a deep masculine voice, one she did not recognize at all.

Being the military man that he is, William was conditioned to awaken at the crack of dawn. Despite no longer being on the battlefield, the General could not shake the habit. As such, as soon as there was light on the horizon the man was already awake and dressed for the the start of a new day. As he was slipping on his boots, William noted the sound of knocking against a hard wooden door some where down the hallway. This was quickly followed by the sound of a door opening and closing. Thinking nothing much of it, he continued to finish dressing himself. While he attached his sword to his belt, however, he heard a loud crash of metal on stone that sounded as if it was coming out from the hallway. Bolting to the door, he swung it open and peered out in the hallway to see if he could located the source. Of course, nothing seemed out of place in the hall and in fact there was only one other room near his own. That room was Ava's, directly across the hall from his.

Not knowing whether something was wrong or not, the General decided to trust his gut. His gut's reaction was that something was amiss and that he should find Ava as soon as possible. Drawing his blade, William grasped the door handle of Ava's room with his other hand and turned it. With a sudden burst of strength, he threw the door open and moved inside, his blade up in an on guard position as his eyes fixed themselves upon a threatening sight. There was a man atop of Ava, as the woman struggled beneath him. Raising the tip of his sword so that it held a line towards the man's chest, the General's voiced boomed, "Remove yourself from her, before I remove you my self by ramming my sword through your chest and pinning you to the wall!" William knew that as long as Ava was moving, she was alive so it would be best to try and take her attempted assassin alive as his weapon of choice, a pillow was not very threatening. If he had a knife to Ava's throat, William would have decapitated the man before he even had a chance to speak.

Ava's blood boiled with the heat of a thousand suns. The aching pain of her chest from her stifled heart only led to the sound of rushing winds flooding to her ears. Anger and fear consumed her entirely, little sense remained as she tossed the pillow aside and sat up and frantically removed her legs from beneath her assailant. Emerald eyes only confirmed what she already knew. A watched as the dark orbs of the cloaked man veered to her side table, where a steel dagger with an onyx hilt lay just beyond her reach. She snatched it up and heard a sharp gasp escape his lips. She pressed the tip of the blade to the skin of his neck. Gliding a tender trail upon the skin, the length of a gold sovereign. Even seconds after she pulled the knife away a thin red line of liquid swelled upon his skin. "He's being nice. You will do well to do as you are told. I should have you impaled in non-lethal areas so that you may feel the pain of death without dying. I should have you crucified and then finally poisoned with the slowest working poisons in existence so that you have time to contemplate your errors as you die...Now, do you understand what I'm saying or do I have to reiterate myself?" Her anger had soon ebbed away. The remaining anger she swallowed was audible. She had gone off the deep edge for a moment. The dagger was tossed aside and a couple of guards ran into the room. "Nice to finally see you." A sigh of defeat escaped her lips with the sarcasm. "Take him to the dungeons for interrogation. Do. Not. Lose. Him. " Her slender fingers raked themselves through her wonton hair as she ordered the guards to do their jobs. She had hardly even taken note of the thin clingy fabric of her gown exposed with the fur blanket resting at her waist. Panic, fear, and confusion had surpassed her modesty. The stranger was yanked off of the bed with obvious and well deserved harshness and escorted from the room. "General, please, don't leave yet. " Her words were obviously torn between formality and friendship. "Thank you." Her chest heaved with deep breaths. "Your instincts are just as sharp as they were when you left. " She had found it hard to smile. Her eyes blankly stared at the surface of the bed. She tossed the blankets from the bed and sat over the edge for a few seconds. Her bare feet meeting the cold surface of the stone floor beneath. Ava sauntered until she stood before William. There was no avoid his gaze. She had never come so close to losing her life before. Another long sigh of defeat escaped her lips as she wrapped her arms around his neck in a thankful embrace. Blinking back the tears that started to form. Will knew how she hated crying or even being seen crying, but there was no helping it. "Thanks." She inhaled deeply to help swallow the flood of tears that threatened to escape down her flushed cheeks. Reluctantly she freed him from her embrace. "I'll be down to the dungeons soon to see what progress we make, just...let me get dressed. " She was just now feeling the effects of his warm body wearing off as the cool air sent chills along her exposed flesh.

It was a relief to William that the man seemed to yield and remove the pillow from Ava's face as soon as he was confronted with the tip of the General's sword. As soon as the assailant had yielded it was a bit shocking that Ava had pulled a dagger upon the man and was holding it against his neck, drawing a bit of blood. Fortunately though, the woman halted and did not slit the man's throat. She still gave the man a few choice threats as the guards finally arrived. The guards hastily removed him from the bed and restrained him as they took him away to the dungeon for future interrogation. With the threat now gone, William sheathed his sword and turned to face his queen.

With her command for him to stay with her, William stood at a formal attention despite Ava's lax words. As she stood up to embrace him and give him her thanks, William realized just how thin the fabric of her night gown was. As she pressed against him in the embrace he could feel every contour of her body beneath the sheer gown. Placing one hand on her upper back, the General held his Queen as he comforted her. With his free hand, he brushed his fingers against her cheeks wiping back the tears as he let her cry in their private moment. After she had left his embrace, William finally spoke, "We were fortunate this time. If I had not heard the crash of your furnishings, this incident might have turned for the worse. We will have to discuss future precautionary measures to take after you get dressed. As for now, I will wait outside your chamber door while you dress your majesty." Trying to act as professional as he could, William gave a slight bow and with a sharp turn exited the room.

"Of course." She nodded her head in a swift agreement and waited until the door closed to turn and walk to her wardrobe. A long glance at the mirror reflected the sight of her disheveled mane of hair. A quick sigh escaped her lips as she gazed her vast collection of attire. Quickly plucking a dress with a slip silhouette and shoestring straps, eagerly tossing away the time and need for corsets, girdles, bustles and other confining whatnots. The sliver of green silk was cut at the bias, making the narrow dress cling to the body, accentuate curves, and hang more gracefully at the feet.Soon she sat on a wooden stool before her vanity and slipped on slippers and gazed in the mirror to brush her hair and tame the mess into a sleek head of pinned up curls with a few stray tendrils hanging upon her shoulders. It was a simple and quick fix. One final touch remained - the ruby hung from a cold chain round her neck. The gem rested comfortably in the valley of her breasts.

In seconds she had moseyed over to the door and slowly opened it, quickly turning around to gently close the door. She took a deep breath before looking into William's eyes. "Let's get to the bottom of this." Her words held firmness as she waste no time heading in the direction of the dungeon. "What do you have in mind for such 'future precautionary measures' ? Up the guards, of course. However we may need more defending on what we are dealing with." Her feet instinctively carried her down a flight of stairs where heavy bolted doors and two armed guards separated them from the tunneled grounds of the dungeon.

Back
Top Bottom