Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Submission Calls

WriteMood

Super-Earth
As most of you know, not only am I published now, but I'm also an editor for Breathless Press. As such, I have access to many submission calls and can answer questions on the process of becoming published. I will be placing submission calls here for interested parties.

Occasionally, I might also run critiquing courses where I will allow you to send me a couple of paragraphs of your story and I will give you ways to improve your writing. This is all in hopes to see those of you with serious ambitions to become published actually achieve that dream.

Sincerely,

D. F. Krieger
Submission Call! Breathless Press is launching a new line and we need authors to help us pioneer it. Everyone remembers growing up on nursery rhymes, but what happens when you give them a naughty twist? Well here's your chance. Our new line "Naughty Nursery Rhymes" is looking for 10-15k word submissions, NOW! The story must be based on a specific rhyme and the story must flow around that theme. Any pairing of H/h is welcome with at least a Heat rating of 2 or above.

To submit, follow BP's standard guidelines, but be certain to put "NNR Submission 'Title'" in the subject line of your e-mail. For submission guidelines, please visit our page at http://www.breathlesspress.com/Page/submissions

Our Ravaged anthology is an ongoing submission call. Stories must be under 10k, have a heat rating of at least 3, and be original stories. There is no other theme besides having something to do with shifters. This can be wolf, lion, panther, etc. The anthology will consist of 10 stories each with a royalty of 4% of net sales. No single author shall have more than 2 stories in this anthology. We reserve the rights for digital for 1 year with the option of renewing after that. Some anthologies will go to print, if this is the case for this volume, royalties are 1.5% of net sales and we reserve the rights for 2 years with the option of renewal for another 2 years. Deadline: Jan 31th, 2012. Published: Aug 3rd, 2012.

Hot Shots Anthology: Our Hot Shots anthology is an ongoing submission call. Stories must be under 10k, have a heat rating of at least 3, and be original stories. There is no other theme besides being erotic. All stories must be m/f. The anthology will consist of 10 stories each with a royalty of 4% of net sales. No single author shall have more than 2 stories in this anthology. We reserve the rights for digital for 1 year with the option of renewing after that. Some anthologies will go to print, if this is the case for this volume, royalties are 1.5% of net sales and we reserve the rights for 2 years with the option of renewal for another 2 years. Deadline: April 30th, 2012.

See, for me? The danger words in all of these are "net sales." That's always incredibly risky, because accounting practices and "fees" can make a story worth about a vapor of a promise, to an author. Not saying your company does this, but how are we supposed to know, dig? You remember how it is from the author's side.

However, it's not like I have an outlet for erotica that has even the vapor of a promise of monetary compensation, so I'll see if I can crank something out. :)

Mr Master said:
See, for me? The danger words in all of these are "net sales." That's always incredibly risky, because accounting practices and "fees" can make a story worth about a vapor of a promise, to an author. Not saying your company does this, but how are we supposed to know, dig? You remember how it is from the author's side.

However, it's not like I have an outlet for erotica that has even the vapor of a promise of monetary compensation, so I'll see if I can crank something out. :)

I understand your concern, and thank you for bringing that up. Fortunately I can help ease it a little for you. We don't take more than ten authors per anthology so the split doesn't cause everyone to nickle and dime to death. We don't withhold taxes from our authors and we do pay royalties monthly. The "net sales" is actually due to third-party sales and what percent they take out, not ourselves.

However, I'll admit that I look at anthologies a certain way. I see them as a sampler platter. They are my opportunity to give readers a taste of my wares so they are more willing to splurge on the full size serving (wow, that sounded really dirty!). We'd love to have your submission. ;)

As this might have been hidden with it's awkward positioning in the first post, I'm going to repost this.

Submission Call! Breathless Press is launching a new line and we need authors to help us pioneer it. Everyone remembers growing up on nursery rhymes, but what happens when you give them a naughty twist? Well here's your chance. Our new line "Naughty Nursery Rhymes" is looking for 10-15k word submissions, NOW! The story must be based on a specific rhyme and the story must flow around that theme. Any pairing of H/h is welcome with at least a Heat rating of 2 or above.

To submit, follow BP's standard guidelines, but be certain to put "NNR Submission 'Title'" in the subject line of your e-mail. For submission guidelines, please visit our page at http://www.breathlesspress.com/Page/submissions

Mr Master said:

I understand your concern, and thank you for bringing that up. Fortunately I can help ease it a little for you. We don't take more than ten authors per anthology so the split doesn't cause everyone to nickle and dime to death. We don't withhold taxes from our authors and we do pay royalties monthly. The "net sales" is actually due to third-party sales and what percent they take out, not ourselves.

However, I'll admit that I look at anthologies a certain way. I see them as a sampler platter. They are my opportunity to give readers a taste of my wares so they are more willing to splurge on the full size serving (wow, that sounded really dirty!). We'd love to have your submission. ;)

Breathless Press is launching a new line and we need authors to help us pioneer it. Everyone remembers growing up on nursery rhymes, but what happens when you give them a naughty twist? Well here's your chance. Our new line "Naughty Nursery Rhymes" is looking for 10-15k word submissions, NOW! The story must be based on a specific rhyme and the story must flow around that theme. Any pairing of H/h is welcome with at least a Heat rating of 2 or above.

Just in the nick of time, as so many are involved in the Nano competitions right now, a notification sent me this way. I really like what I've read from you so far, and have submitted several to you rather fast, including for your Fairy Tales one.

It was great timing I found this little niche at the last moment. :D

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
Too bad there doesn't seem to be much of a market for Poetry. Do you know of any places that seek poets, WriteMood?

Hey Hahvoc, I've been searching and not finding much of a market. I did find a couple of places that might be of some help in your search.

http://www.pw.org/classifieds

http://client.writersrelief.com/writers-classifieds/anthology-calls-for-submissions.aspx

I can't vouch for the links above, but it's a start. I would also highly recommend your local library for a book called "Writer's Market". It is published each year with markets for every genre. If you can't find it at the library, you can find one at your local book store in the help section or writing section. The book costs roughly $30+, but has a plethora of helpful things.

NOTICE: There has been a major change to our NNR (Naughty Nursery Rhymes) Line. We are now accepting fairy tales as well as nursery rhymes. If you have a 10k+ story based off a nursery rhyme or fairy tale, send in it. We'd love to look at it. Be sure to mention, in your query letter, that you are aiming for the NNR line.

~ D. F.

@ Hahvoc - The story has to be at least 10 thousand words, but you are welcome to make it as big as you wish. Currently, if it is under 10k, it's considered only for anthologies. I may run an anthology idea in 2012, but I'm not sure yet.

DA - Oooh, I'm looking forward to that!

Defiant - We'd be glad to have you. Our acceptance rate for new authors is pretty high. :)

@ WriteMood: *nods* Oh yes... you'll be getting more things from me for sure. I have a few ideas buzzing through my brain for fairytales. I have a 'Little Red Riding Hood' one just aching to be written along with some others. ;)

This was just posted on our blogsite. I thought some of you might be interest.

Ahoy me hearties!
If I may take a shot o’ rum of your time. I’m a loyal deckhand on the editin’ crew, and I walk the plank on a daily basis with our esteemed and mutual matey, Cap’n Breathless Press. I read yer bottled books that float my way, and I plunder ‘em with my editin’ pen upon acceptance of yer work.

What would be pleasin’ to me eye, you query? Well, I might fancy seein’ some pirate tales! Plunder that booty! Passion on the plank! But, I don’t desire just any jolly roger tale. What would really float my ship is a pirate lass! A hefty chest not required, but some scurvy dog a diggin’ up her buried treasure would be mighty fine.

So hoist up them buried manuscripts in bottles and fling it over the sea my way, acquisitions@breathlesspress.com and ask for T.S. Chevrestt, content editor/deckhand with Breathless Press.

Hello Verse!

Define bloodplay. :) Depending on what you wanted, there may be leeway. You can pm me if you'd rather.

D. F. Krieger

Back
Top Bottom