Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

out of the frying pan (wolvenrogue and wingshadow)

"I think you are a lonesome young man who is unsure of how to obtain what you want out of life," Madoka replied softly, in what she hoped was an understanding manner, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I really hope you find someone you can share your life with."

He thought about what she said for quite awhile, before speaking. He had no idea why he felt the way he did, but oddly he trusted her. "Do you want the job?" he asked. Not sure she would understand what he had just said to he but meaning it sincerely just the same. He watched her for a reaction, trying to judge how she felt about it

Madoka was rendered speechless, her cheeks tinted with more than a small amount of redness while her eyelids blinked rapidly at regular intervals. Had they not just met that morning? How could it be that the situation had already become so complicated, not even twenty four hours after they had first laid eyes on each other?

"B-baka," Madoka sputtered, "I-I mean, you can't just up and ask a girl something so important right out of the blue... I mean, I would like to get married and have kids and be hopelessly in love and stuff too, but that's just not the sort of thing- well, I mean..."

She was clearly quite flustered, and for some time she had difficulty collecting her thoughts but after some time of takign deep breaths she was able to grasp some amount of self control.

"Sorry about that, but you really caught me off guard," Madoka smiled, "I... I suppose I wouldn't mind getting to know you better and see if things work out, if that answers your question."

"Why do you find it so strange?" he asked " you read some of my stories, at least some of them. Not another living soul even knows they exist. They are more me than me ", he said. "If I could share those with you why not the rest?" I'm sorry I flustered you, but i was wanting to say it anyway. I really don't understand why I feel this way about you but I do.

"I'm sorry, its really not all that strange," Madoka brushed a stray strand of hair from her face, "I'm really not the woman you probably think I am, but I am flattered that you could compare me to the women in your stories. In reality I am not much like them at all."

" I'm not comparing you to them at all, I have no idea how I could feel this way so soon, but I just cant shake the feeling. I'm sorry if I've scared you. For now lets just be friends. We have 60 days to find out if this is real." he said, knowing in his heart that for him at least it was real.

"Of course," Madoka nodded with a smile, "I couldn't imagine staying strangers for that long."

"On that note," she looked up toward the sky, "I have a feeling things might get a bit more interesting before our voyage here is complete."

Madoka nodded, taking down the clothes from the line one by one, "What shall we do first, then?"

"well first we have to make you a hammock" he said. "I have one, but we will need two" he god a spool of old main line which was perfect for weaving hammocks. he pounded two nails in the deck to weave it on and began to show her how. As he showed her how to tie the knots required, he put his arms around her tiny boy showing her how. He found this especially fun and the worked through the morning, and produced a very serviceable hammock and hung it in the wheelhouse next to Bob's

"It seems sturdy enough," Madoka mused, "But how does one actually sleep in it is the question. Swinging side to side with the movement of the boat like a sack of rice isn't my idea of a peaceful manner to sleep in, but its not like I have a choice in the matter."

She sat down on the hammock as she would a chair, causing it to swing from under her and sent her flailing backward, tumbling into the hammock in a rather crude fashion with her legs sticking straight up into the air. The nightgown slid up, revealing her thighs and about half of her stomach as she struggled to regain her composure.

Bob snickered, a bit amused, and pulled the night shirt down to cover her, and helped her get completely in, then rolled into his. "Ok now," he said, "close your eyes. Trust me this works! when you close your eyes it will feel like the motion stops."

Madoka thanked him quietly and nodded, "Its sort of amazing, really..."

She was looking up toward the sky, the distant darkening blue expanse above them. She let out a soft sigh as she wrapped her arms around herself and closed her eyes.

"Its like the world which I knew has simply vanished, without leaving a trace of worry or cares behind. This is a different world, a different existence, a tiny continent floating upon the endless waters, a world bathed in blue," she smiled, "I can understand a small bit of why it is said that those that live on the sea for most of their lives fall in love with it. What we are familiar with, we come to love and appreciate as soon as we realize how much value it has."

It was a beautiful day and Bob decided the hooks could soak an extra hour, so he took her hand in his and let him self doze off for a nap. He loved the feel of her hand in his and hoped that someday they would share a hammock, but for now he would be content to hold her hand.

The wind was gentle and warm and the sun pleasant under a cloudless sky.

Madoka felt him take her hand, and she gently squeezed it, showing that she didn't mind the connection that they shared, even if it wasn't very strong yet. She could tell from his slow consistent breathing that he had dozed off, and before she put much thought in it she found herself doing the same. The soothing, warm rays felt like gentle caresses against her skin lulling her into a midday nap, which she as a principal rarely took... Then again, with Bob asleep its not like there was anything else to do on the small fishing boat.

Bob woke an hour later like clock work, and with Madoka still asleep began pulling lines and retrieving fish. The harvest was good and Bob was pleased. this trip might actually be profitable for a change. He let Madoka sleep another half hour then went up and kissed her on the forehead sweetly to wake her. "Hey sleepy head!" he teased.

"Nani?" Madoka in her half-awake state reached for the side of the "bed" that she by habit thought she was sleeping inside. Instead, all she accomplished was making herself look quite foolish by flailing her hand around beside the hammock. With some amount of difficulty she woke herself up fully and sat up in the hammock, looking over at Bob in a slightly irritated manner.

"Is something wrong?" she asked, although it was intended to be rhetorical question.

"No" he said laughing. " I've finished pulling lines, are you hungry? "he said. there is plenty of food available. Nad I'll cook if you like, but I need to eat pretty soon. So what do you think of a hammock now? he said?

"Its nothing at all like a bed or a futon, that much is certain," Madoka huffed, setting her bare feet down firmly on the deck before attempting to stand, "I will have to make due."

Such was her simple philosophy in life: If the world isn't the way you want it to be, either do something about it or if you cannot, just live with it! She didn't see any point in agonizing about things she couldn't influence or help, and neither did she consider her own personal comforts of enough consequence for the universe to care. If she were a goddess or something, perhaps things would be different... But in her case, she was neither divine nor did she expect anyone to think of her as such.

She stepped past him heading to the kitchen, "Its alright, I can cook... I would feel useless if I did not at least do something to earn my keep. What would you like to eat?"

Madoka turned on her heel to face him, wondering what a man like him liked to eat... Considering the available foodstuffs in the fridge and cabinets, he seemed to enjoy a wide variety of meals.

Bob smiled as she turned to him. she looked so beautiful and inviting. He stepped forward and gave her a hug. He loved the feel of her next to him, it was something he hadn't had for many years. Do you like steak? he asked I have some nice ones in the freezer, or we have tons of fresh fish.

"I would love some steak," Madoka blushed, her arms held to her sides as he hugged her. She gave him a tentative peck on the cheek to satiate him for the time being and indicate that she wished to be released to start on the meal. Beef was quite a luxury in japan, especially steak, as it was almost exclusively an import good, whereas fish was much more readily available and affordable.

"you'll find them in the freezer" he said. There's also canned mushrooms and fresh onions, if you like. If you see any thing else you want to put with it, help yourself." Bob didn't spend a lot on most things, but he loved good food, and was'nt shy about getting the best he could, even if it meant having it shipped in, good food was one of the few things he could have aboard a fishing boat, so he indulged himself.

Madoka nodded and stepped into the kitchen, setting out the rock-hard frozen steaks she worked on thawing them out before starting on the sauce. She honestly had never prepared steak before, and she hoped she knew what she was getting herself into by promising that she could cook it for him.

Robert smiled as he saw her busy with the cooking, and decided to pull lines one more time while she fixed them dinner. The catch was again good and he was beginning to think she was good luck. the way things were going, they would be finding the processing ship sooner than anticipated. He smelled dinner cooking and was very pleased.

"It might taste a little plain," Madoka remarked as she set down two steaks, one for each of them, on the table, "I didn't want to risk making you keel over from my cooking if I became too adventurous with the spices."

Sure, it looked fine and she had tasted the fragrant sauce before pouring it over the steak but she wasn't certain it would go well together or if the taste of the meat would overwhelm the simple flavors of the sauce. She waited patiently for what Bob would say upon tasting it.

Bob was hungry, so he dug right in. "Oh man, this is great!" he said he smiled at her, and payed her the chefs best compliment by eating instead of talking. When he had finished eating, he could see it getting dark. "Would you like you hammock out on deck or in the wheelhouse tonight? he asked. It was a cloudless night. "It will be cool, but it won't rain."

"I think I would feel more secure in the wheelhouse if you don't mind," Madoka replied as she was cleaning up after dinner, "I think it would probably be safer that way since I tend to sneak into other people's beds when I get cold."

She paused briefly in order to let her teasing fully sink in, "I'm kidding! I don't do any weird things while I'm sleeping, so you don't have to worry about me falling off the boat in the middle of the night or anything."

Madoka slipped on her underwear under the nightgown before heading to bed, just in case she got a bit restless during the night then helped Bob bring the hammock into the wheelhouse. After saying her goodnights she slipped back into the sling and tried her best to fall asleep... but as her mind was nearly glowing with newfound excitement she found it rather hard to calm herself sufficently. Who knew getting kidnapped would end up causing you to meet up with a nice guy?

Back
Top Bottom