Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

"Goal? Such a word is alien to me. Understand, I am but the merest fragment of a god. I am the wrathful nature of Lord Sin, given the form of one of his loyal servants, the Raven. I am intelligent and capable of speech, but I have no sentience of my own. No goals, no desires, no whims or fancies. I have only my nature, and it is to unleash my wrath upon those in my path. And there are many in my path..."

The creature's deep and rumbling voice was like thunder and the lightning accumulated around it in the sky as it spoke. "I know little of this man, Fate, or his Black Riders. You will have to question my mortal avatar. I am not party to the whole of his knowledge, just as he is not to all of my nature."

She frowned and shook her head. This was not good. She was dealing with something that was severely out of her depth. Still, she knew much more than she had at the start of this, and that was something. Candira frowned as she thought all of this over. "I have so many questions, but I know that this time is short, so I'll ask these for now. Why have you chosen to speak to me? And is there a way to separate you from Rafe?" she asked, watching the enormous bird.

"My existence is tied to Rafe. As he lives and breathes, so do I. If he should cease to be, I don't know what would happen to me. I'd prefer not to find out yet. If I knew of a way to separate me from my mortal self, I would have done so. Perhaps you can help me with this, you and your arcane friends." The Raven Lord slowly looked up at the sky. "Time grows short...ask your questions..."

"I'll do what I can to help in that regard," she said. "It would be best for everyone involved, I think. The visions you showed me before...what were they?" she asked, trying to ask the important questions that she could think of.

Again the creature looked at her with narrowed eyes. "A possible future. Nothing of the future is solid. It is a combination of fate, chance, and free will. To a degree, all are guided by destiny, chaos, and their own actions and choices. You care for him...why?"

"I believe he has a good heart. He has made many mistakes in his life, and he's seen the error of his ways and felt the pain of those mistakes." She paused for a moment and remembered his sadness. "He's been through so much, and much of that had guided his decisions in life. He's trying to redeem himself. And he cares for me." She smiled softly. "I like the side of him that he's shown me so far. I want to help him....I just care." She looked at the Raven. "Why do you ask? And why do you choose to speak to me?"

"An instinct from the god I am from. Knowledge leads to survival, the more I know, the longer I'll live." Slowly he turned away from her, spreading his mighty plumage. With a few mighty sweeps of its grand wings, it was gone into the night sky, the gust kicking from its flaps.

The dream ended shortly thereafter with the morning light streaming into the room. Rafe was still asleep, nestled close against her, wrapped in an almost defensive pose as he slept soundly against her, warm against her body. There was a look of contented bliss upon his visage as the streams of light caressed his face.

Candira woke feeling more tired than rested, though it seemed as though Rafe had had pleasant dreams. And somewhere along the line their position had gone from her protecting him to the other way around. She thought it was sweet, and the instant she saw his face she felt calm again. The redhead smiled at him and pulled him close, closing her eyes once more so she could try to go back to sleep.

Before long, Rafe awoke and looked at the form of Candira that he didn't know had awakened. He smiled and kissed her lips softly before slipping out of bed to say a few prayers and greet the morning sun. He did a few exercises and noticed that his stomach wound was completely healed, not sore at all anymore. Just a reminder of how much he owed to her. Rafe went for a bath, wanting to smell nice for her before she awoke.

Candira was exhausted and her sleep was deep. She wouldn't wake up until he was finished for sure. Her dreams were nonexistent. She would be happy to see him when she woke up, however.

Rafe smiled warmly at her and he gave her a firm hug and a gentle kiss upon her lips. "Good morning beautiful. Did you have a restful night? I didn't have any dreams last night, it felt wonderful. Just...blissful, peaceful rest." He sighed contentedly and took her hand into his, softly kissing it and then nuzzling it. "My stomach feels completely better...I owe you so much Candira..."

The redhead slowly came back to him, smiling when his face came into focus. He smelled nice and she had to smile as he hugged and kissed her. "Good morning, Rafe." She hugged him tightly and then watched as he took her hand and kissed and nuzzled it. If there was one thing Rafe knew how to do, it was to make her feel special. She smiled. "I'm glad you slept well. I wish my night had been as restful...But I'm so glad your stomach feels better. You've healed quickly considering our recent battle." She smiled and propped herself up on her elbow, her lovely locks falling into her face just a bit. "You don't owe me anything that you haven't already given me," she said with a smile. "Promise me you won't waste it."

Rafe nodded slowly and thoughtfully. "I promise..." He seemed eager to start the day and to move forward with this mystery mission of theirs. "So!" he beamed, practically bursting with excitement. "What do we do today...?" For a moment, he seemed almost childish and innocent.

She chuckled at his expression as he seemed a little like a child on winter solstice. She sat up and ran her fingers through her hair. He was so excited, it seemed a shame to go to the arcane wizards right away. She didn't want to ruin his morning. Besides, she was still a bit tired. "I think I need a bath first, and then breakfast. After that, we can either go to the castle or the arcane wizards, or perhaps another temple." She shrugged and smiled at him.

"You're adorable, by the way."

He leaned on her. "You pick...I'll go where you lead, my lady..." He smiled softly and after a long moment, he let her go to go bathe.

At breakfast, he seemed a different person. He was quiet, but smiling softly. His countenance seemed distant and distracted, however, and he appeared to not be as lively as he was last night.

When they left to start the day's adventure, he spoke softly to her, though his eyes were firmly locked ahead. "Something bad is going to happen today..." His hand almost instantly sought her's and squeezed it firmly, his eyes still ahead as if he were looking off past the city in into something dark and foreboding.

Candira smiled at him and let him keep her there awhile longer before she got up to take a bath. She came out of the bathroom dressed as normal, though her hair was damp in its braid. She'd washed it for the day, apparently. She left their belongings in the merchant's home while they went down to breakfast. It was a nice meal, though not as heavy as last night, thank goodness.

When they finally went outside she was startled by his announcement and looked up to him, holding his hand as well. Frowning, she thought of what they should do first. "I had a dream last night...one that has let me to think it best to see my arcane friends first. Will you come with me?" she asked, looking at Rafe. If his goal had been not to worry her, he had failed. "I must ask them some things. They aren't far from the castle. Do you still want to come with me?"

He nodded slowly and smiled softly at her, but his eyes betrayed him. They reveal a dark worry over his soul as he followed her. Rafe kept looking around as they walked, as if he were looking for or waiting for something to happen. "What was your dream about...? Maybe I can help you learn from it..."

"Well...It was about a Raven," she said, keeping her tone light in case someone was following them and trying to listen. "A raven who showed me many things," she said squeezing his hand even tighter. "Please, Rafe...don't let go." She looked up at him and frowned, obviously needing his support now. "I know more than I knew, but I need more than that...I know which questions to ask," she said softly, guiding him through town.

He nodded slowly, holding her hand tightly. "I'll answer what I can, if that'll help. You can ask me anything Candira..." His eyes were firm and resolute now, taking strength from her need of him. "I'll face this raven if I need to...for you."

She frowned. "I'm not sure how to explain it," she said, looking at him rather worriedly. It was clear that something was on her mind. "A Raven came to me in my dreams twice. And both times were after I saw you behaving rather...strangely. I shall explain more inside," she said as they neared a stone house that seemed to emanate a strange power. Candira looked up at it. "This is it. My arcane friends live here...their ways may seem strange, at first...they still seem strange to me," she confessed, knocking on the door with an impressive brass knocker.

A voice from within called out for Lady Candira and her guest to please enter. She held Rafe's hand tightly in her own and entered, possibly more anxious than the man she was guiding.

Rafe breathed firmly, feeling fear clench his belly. He didn't want to do this, but it must be done and his resolve was firm now. This creature in him had appeared in her dreams now instead of his. It was a threat to her now and that meant it was his enemy.

The residence was certainly foreboding and part of him could sense the magical aura around it. It made him want to turn and run, but perhaps that was the intended effect. That it was meant to repel the masses from their arcane research and power.

She put her hand on his shoulder. "It's not as it seems...not entirely," she said. I'll explain what I know when we meet the mages." With that, she entered the building with Rafe and the doors swung closed behind them, enchanted to do so noiselessly. Inside was quite bright and cheery despite the subjects these people studied. Light was everywhere, and so were many many shelves of books. They lined the walls and scrolls were tucked neatly in special drawers to keep them from decaying. It was a quite a library--and the only one on the subject matter she sought today.

An older man with green tattoos all over his body approached, wearing a bear pelt that he'd fashioned into clothes. He was older--but not old. In fact, he seemed to be in great shape for someone his age--for anyone really. The lines on his body were ancient ruins and they allowed him many gifts from forces beyond the understanding of most. He smiled at his old friend and stretched his arms open. "Welcome friends. Enter, please. I can see that something is troubling you. You seek the help of the arcane mages here?"

The redhead nodded. "I know I can trust you all. I seek information that I believe you might have. Will you take us somewhere private?"

"Certainly milady. Come this way." And with that, he led them to a chamber that was sparsely decorated but filled with natural elements. In it, a young woman with blue tattoos was meditating and another man--younger with golden tattoos was standing expectantly, as though this had been set up in advance.

"Welcome," the two said simultaneously.

Rafe stared around at the interior and it was nothing like he was expecting at all. He had expected a dark, cavernous, gloomy interior with the mages devoted only to their research. Instead, the speaker was warm and friendly and there was a calming aura that seemed to put his darker nature at bay. Rafe looked about as they moved. The arcane arts had never held much appeal to him, but if this was Candira's realm, he would feel secure in it. He knew she would never lead him astray and that comforted him. Rafe bowed politely. "Good morning, all." These people were clearly more learned than he, and he was raised to respect such people for their knowledge and their power.

Candira was glad that Rafe was calm, because she didn't always know the best way to deal with them speaking in unison. She remembered her manners, however and bowed her head to them in deference as Rafe did the same. She smiled at him and the three mages immediately reacted to him.

"So this is the one you wish to speak to us about?" The woman asked. "I can sense a great deal of power within--it is a dark power at that."

The man in yellow nodded in agreement. "Yes, it is...but it is a fraction of power, yes?"

Candira sighed. "Are you going to let me explain the problem or just keep talking amongst yourselves?" She never had a great deal of patience when they got like this.

They seemed to sense their rudeness and chuckled apologetically. "Please lady, speak."

And so she told them all of what she had seen and been told.

((If you want to control them, go for it))

((I'll take the young man ^^ But I'll leave the others to you.))

Rafe slowly looked from them to Candira in confusion. Obviously they had an established form of conversing that he was not familiar with. He watched them briefly go back and forth before someone else spoke.

"It...is an entity..." The young man spoke, closing his eyes to focus and raising a hand up into the air to taste the winds of magic flowing. His eyes slowly opened and he looked to the others. "Maybe this is preemptive, but if we wish to call it forth, it might be prudent to bind him. Physically and magically...but...there appears to be a clear separation between them...they connect only at certain points, but it might be worth our time to question them separately...what one knows, the other might not."

Back
Top Bottom