Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

Nora laughed at Lionel's quick defense and the look on his face. Okay, maybe she should quit picking on him for awhile. "I knew what you meant, Lionel. I'm just teasing you. I'll stop for awhile though." She chuckled and looked ahead, keeping their horse clear of any roots that had grown up into the path. "You should have seen your face...It's kind of cute when you're not so serious." And with that, she kept their horse going.

Candira looked around them as they entered the forest, but stayed close to Rafe. "Well, I guess I'll have to practice my good manners." She smiled and then sat up a little more. "But I gotta say, even though some of the manners you used were a bit overly done, you always bear yourself well. I wonder where that came from?"

Rafe had lost track of time. He looked into the sky and noticed that the sun was already on its trek downward towards the horizon. "Well, in Hesse, I was the son of a small estate Baron. My parents were nobles and so I did learn a few social graces. Hesse is small and ruled by a semi-king called a Landgrave, but it is part of a much larger alliance. Several such small kingdoms banded with a few large ones for mutual protection in the east and it became the United Empire. Ruled by the Kaiser." Rafe started to remember his pride for his homeland fondly. "Together, a mighty force...the best elite troops in the world, blessed with technology...my home Barony was beautiful..." His face then darkened. "But sometimes they war with themselves, the individual states...a...mighty empire...a den of...sycophants and tyrants, leeching off of one another...like the Count my family slaved under. He was cruel and twisted, a brutal and selfish fuck." He looked at her. "He murdered my father. Sent him...to fight in a battle that could not be won. My father was a good and honorable man...and that's when I learned that goodness and honor...puts you under the heel of those that dispense of such things as they please."

Lionel was quiet. He was listening to Rafe's words which had quickly become audible to the other pair. Lionel's face reflected a look of him being deep in thought.

Nora frowned as she learned of the knight's past. So he was a noble himself? Interesting...It was a shame to hear of the corruption of the government there, however. She was quite sure there was some in her lands as well, but she couldn't be everywhere at once. She kept their horse going, but a little slower.

Candira frowned a little as he recounted several good and bad memories. She hugged him gently and stayed near. "I'm sorry to hear that," she said with a frown. "I know your childhood wasn't a happy time, but I hadn't realized it was like that." She squeezed him gently and looked at him with a frown. She leaned on his shoulder and wondered if there was anything she could say.

Rafe shook his head softly. "There is nothing to say. Some things in our lives are out of our hands. But not all. The events of my life have helped shaped who I am and I have become a better person for it. I'm sure if my parents could see me serving you, with you...they'd be proud. That is how I ended up with the Black Riders, you know...that Count. I killed him. I would not suffer to see him do anything to my sister...so I took him be surprise and killed him with my own two hands. Fear only motivates until it becomes intolerable. A man's word only works until no one fears or respects it anymore."

Lionel looked at Rafe, considering the weight of his words for a long moment before he spoke. "You are not without honor then..."

Candira glanced back at Lionel and thought about it for a moment. "Well I suppose, then, that it wasn't all bad. After all, you're here now." She smiled and squeezed his shoulder. "Like you say--we cannot undo the past. We can only learn from it." She left it at that, letting Rafe decide how to handle Lionel's remarks. Nora, for her part, remained silent, merely absorbing the conversation.

Rafe chose to remain silent. Darkness settled into the sky prematurely, heralding a coming storm. Lightning and thunder crackled across the sky, but before rain they managed to see some lights on the road. The lights turned into a large and well-established coaching house, with a few guard towers around a small, wooden wall. Once they descended a hill they got a good view inside the wall. It was a large establishment with a spacious inn. Lionel was glad that they made it safely. But once they made it inside the gates and stabled their horses, Rafe scowled, bearing his teeth. "This place...is a brothel."

Lionel seemed nonplussed. He obviously knew what it was and he wasn't shaken in the least. "This place is going to keep us safe from bandits and wolves. Its an inn and has warmth and food."

Rafe's hands shook with fury. "I'm not sleeping here..." He started towards the gate.

Lionel shouted after Rafe. "It's going to rain! You have a duty!"

"I'll take my chances with the rain! And the bandits and wolves!"

Candira rode down with the others, never having been by this particular coaching house. She wasn't aware of their lodging's other nature until they'd stabled the horses. When Rafe bared his teeth, however, she knew something was wrong. She was, quite frankly, shocked that Lionel would have chosen to take Nora and herself to such a place. Brothels were a fact of the world--and some were better than others. Better in the sense of how they treated the women inside. Some were run by women and were legitimate businesses and shelters for women with no other place in this world or who wanted the fate they'd chosen. Some were not.

Her own eyes darkened a bit and she held up a hand to Lionel. "Stay with Nora. You are not to let her out of your sight. You may as well start unburdening the horses." With that, she started after Rafe.

Nora frowned at the idea that she'd be staying in a known brothel. Not necessarily because she disapproved, but because she didn't necessarily condone the practices within these establishments. She smacked his shoulder and looked up at him. "You knew, didn't you?" She put her hands on her hips. "You are aware of how many women make it out of these places in the morning, right?"

Candira ran after Rafe and when she caught up with him, grabbed his hand. "Wait."

Lionel frowned a bit, not happy with the situation. "It's the reality of the situation, Nora. This is the only coaching house that we'll reach tonight. It's guarded and has food and warm beds. Prostitution will happen whether it is legal or not and for some it is the only alternative. Do you know what would happen if it were outlawed? Slavery...lots of it." Lionel started to unload the horses. "It's an ugly reality and I like it no better, but it's the nature of the way things are. Our only other alternative is to try and chase a bear or wolves from a cave, that is if we were to find one."

Rafe didn't stop until he was grabbed. "I'm not sleeping in that place..." He hissed out with an anger that wasn't seen unless he had been supernaturally provoked. As he spoke, thunder and lightning split the sky and a few drops of rain started. "When my father died...the Count tried to marry my mother, in addition to his other five wives and underaged concubines he had working in his home. She wouldn't be his dog, she defied him...and he kidnapped her and put her in a brothel to work as a slave! She was tied to a bed and raped until I found out about it and..." His breathing was being ragged, a fierce light in his eyes, but not a supernatural one.

"I killed the man that was on her and burned the place to the ground. Then I killed the Count with my hands..." He showed his balled up fists. "I beat his face in until there was blood and muscle...when we made our escape, my mother and sister and I...my mother had been treated so badly, she took ill during our flight...she died in my sister's arms while I watched...I had to bury her with my own hands in a brook! These hands...have seen more blood and dirt than...than..." He saw her knew he couldn't compare them to her's, after all that he had done to her and her people himself. He wasn't sure what to compare them to. "I'll die in the rain before I set foot in that den of misery and excess. Sin's light doesn't touch there as far as I'm concerned."

Her eyes filled with tears as she listened to his mother's fate. Her arms wrapped around him and she held him tight to her. "I'm not here to convince you to sleep in the brothel. I can certainly understand your not wanting to go inside, especially after what happened to your mother and yourself." She looked up at him and kissed his cheek softly. "I will never make you do something you're uncomfortable with unless it's necessary." She kept holding him, not wanting to let him go until he was a bit calmer. "I only want to make sure you're alright. That you're safe. If you're not staying with me, I want to know where you are and cast some protection spells on you. I can't leave Nora--that much is clear--but I don't want to leave you either..."

Nora sighed. "That's not what I meant. I'm well aware that brothels and slavery exist outside of my control," she said, her arms crossing. "I'm worried because women who were not parts of the brothel staff have disappeared from their rooms at night. And as formidable as Candira and I are, it is possible to be overpowered." She frowned a little. "I'm sorry to question your judgement, but it doesn't seem the safest place to me. I just wish that I would have had some warning." With that, she began to unload the other horse.

Rafe held onto her her, shaking his head slowly. "My faith will keep me safe...Sin will watch over me. If I run into any trouble I'll make a dash back here...I won't stray far, you'll be able to see me from here. I don't want you sleeping out with me..." He started to walk outside to gate to lead her to where he intended on staying. It was right across the road, in sight of the inn, right under a great oak that would provide the best shelter. "Here..." The rain started to fall a little more intensely.

Lionel sighed a bit. "If I had told you from the beginning, it didn't seem like you'd come along easily. I know you didn't want to make this trip in the first place, you resent your family sending you out while they stay. And your safety is why I'm not going to sleep until we get to Windfall Castle. I'll stay up and keep an eye out. If there are more of them than I can take, Candira has her magic. I had hoped to count of Rafe as well but...he's being bullheaded."

Nora frowned at the mention of Rafe. "I doubt he'll be coming back tonight...but I'm sure he has a reason." She looked at Lionel and frowned. "I do feel better knowing that you'll be protecting me, Lionel. I trust you with my life. But I wish you would trust me with some information sometimes. Anyway, it sounds like it's raining, so I'm glad we'll be inside."

Candira walked with him to the Oak and the rain began to fall a bit more intensely. "At least come back and get your pack," she said. "I'll set up a few things to keep you drier so you won't get sick. Just simple enchantments," she promised. She hugged him close as the rain started to fall again and kissed him softly. "I'll be thinking of you."

Lionel looked down for a moment as he finished packing up. "I know of no other unpleasant surprises on the road, we should be at Windfall tomorrow night." Then he looked at her. "Maybe you should talk to him...you might be able to convince him to come and just stay in the room. We're not going to be anywhere except straight in the room..."

Rafe looked down at the ground and nodded slowly, agreeing. "That's fine..." He whispered softly as he went to her to get some things.

Candira smiled and hugged him again before she walked him back into the stables. She wasn't thrilled with his decision, but she wouldn't force him to stay in a place that brought back such horrible memories for him. She kept her arm around him, letting the rain fall, her body starting to feel cooler with the droplets that started to work down her skin.

Nora frowned softly. "I don't think that I'll be able to change his mind...If when Lady Candira returns he has decided not to stay, I don't think there's anything I can say to change his mind."

Just then, the two of them returned to the stable.

Rafe looked outside at the rain and grabbed a few things. Lionel looked at him, but said nothing as Rafe gathered a few things and then began to leave again, carrying a pack with some of the stuff he'd need to sleep outdoors in it.

Lionel shook his head slowly and sighed. "Nora, let's secure a room. I'll have food brought up to us..." Lionel started for the interior of the inn.

Nora frowned and walked to Rafe, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Sir Rafe? I understand you don't wish to stay here, and I'm sure you have very good reasons for that. But I hope that you'll accept my concern for you. I'm not sure how well I'll sleep knowing that you'll be out in this weather...Will you not at least eat with us? Perhaps dry off a bit first? You needn't stay after that. Please?"

Candira raised an eyebrow and wondered if Rafe would consent. She certainly hoped he would. Hope was in her eyes and if Rafe would look at her, he would see that she definitely wanted him to stay as long as he could bear it. Some more rain water dripped from her hair and she hoped that he'd stay just a little longer.

Rafe looked at them for a long moment and he turned to Candira. He took a few deep breaths and then finally let out a long sigh signaling his acceptance. "I'm hungry, I can't get around that. Maybe the rain will let up after some food and drink."

Lionel walked inside ahead of them, only briefly looking about before turned to shield his eyes. The sight of the flesh was appealing to any man, but Lionel wasn't brought up to appreciate paid company. It seemed cheap, tawdry, and fake. He paid for their room, a large and spacious one to accommodate them all and he had four full meals brought up to the room. Rafe followed him upstairs, trying to keep the anger from his eyes and the grim look of rage from his face.

Candira walked up to the room with Nora, the two of them standing on either side of Rafe. Lionel led the way, and Candira couldn't help but feel as though the poor guy was getting the short end of the stick. So she made a point to smile at him before they entered the room. "I'm going to dry off in the bathroom. I'll be right out," the red head said, grabbing a robe and some towels.

Nora smiled at Rafe and squeezed his arm. "You should dry off too, while you're in here. No sense in catching a cold." She smiled and sat between Lionel and Rafe, protecting each man from each other. "I want to thank you both for coming along with me. I know I'll be a bit of a challenge at some points. I hope you know I'm very grateful to you both." Hopefully her praise and subtle reminder of their purpose would do something to quell the tension for now.

Lady Candira came out of the bathroom a few moments later, her clothes hanging over the tub to dry. She was wrapped up in her robe, which hid her figure, but only certain aspects of it. A towel was wrapped around her hair in a turban and she smiled cheerfully. "Rafe, why don't you dry off? I left you a towel if you want to use it," she said with a grin.

Rafe's face was uncharacteristically devoid of emotion. No anger, no happiness, nothing. He quietly went into the bathroom to stay warm. He was slowly accepting the idea that he wasn't going to be able to get back outside without walking over some emotions on the way. Nora needed protection. Lionel wanted Nora protected. Candira...well now, he couldn't go catching pneumonia on her now could he?

Lionel unstrapped his sword and kept it next to him as he made himself comfortable in a chair. In a short while their food came and Lionel helped to serve it to the girls and left Rafe's on a bed as he started to eat, looking at Candira and Nora both. "I'm glad you both could convince him. The more with us, the better. And best if he doesn't take ill..."

Nora watched Rafe go and felt a bit uneasy because he seemed to be having such a difficult time with all of this. She noticed that Lady Candira was deeply concerned as well, and she wondered what the relationship between the two of them really was. Still, she kept that to herself for now. Candira, for her part, looked at Lionel. "Can I speak with you for a moment?" she asked, standing. It was clearly not a question. He would speak with her whether he wanted to or not.

Lionel saw the intensity and determination in her and he had no reason not to refuse her. He swallowed a bit of mead and nodded to her. "Sure...what did you want to discuss?"

She motioned to the hall and led him out the door, leaving Nora for a moment. Once they were outside the door, she smiled. "I know you probably feel like you've gotten the short end of the stick here. After all, you were looking out for our safety and well-being, and it seems as though we've all turned on you. I wanted to thank you for doing that. And while staying here doesn't really make me uncomfortable, I can see why Nora might be concerned." She paused for a moment and sighed.

"But I feel as though you're misreading the situation with Rafe. I think it would be best if you knew why he was so adamant about not staying here. So if you would, please listen." And with that, in hushed tones, she related the sad story to the palace guard. "So if you would, please try not to be angry or think poorly of him. It's just a lot for him to handle." So she put her hand on his shoulder and smiled. "Thank you for keeping us safe."

And with that, she turned to go back into the room.

If he thought anything one way or the other, to his credit Lionel kept his mouth shut. He reentered and sat back at his position, eating again. Before Rafe came in, he said softly, "We've all suffered."

Rafe came back, dry and bathed looking about. He slipped onto the bed and began to eat in silence. Once done, he was content to slide into the bed where he and he presumed Candira would be sleeping, faced the wall on the side of the bed closest to it, and shut his eyes, intent on simply sleeping.

It was storming in the capitol, storming hard. David looked outside a window from the large study of the royal palace as he sniffed a decanter of wine and poured two glasses. He set one down before him and another across the table for his female guest. "I must say, you did a very good job with the Prime Minister. When I heard he was recovering I nearly lost my senses, but then he just suddenly took a turn for the worse and died. I don't know where you found Black Lotus, but I know it is an especially insidious poison. It loses strength during the close of its term, only to strengthen and be more than enough to kill any person."

David slowly brought the wine to his lips, sipping on it. "That little scare tactic did the trick. Tell me...is Fate still looking for...well..." He smirked and sat back, opening his arms wide to gesture. "Looking for what we're all looking for?"

When Candira returned to the room she took her hair down and combed it, letting Nora put her hair into a fishtail. In return, she braided Nora's hair like she used to when they were priestesses. They spoke for awhile about little things and training and then Nora went for a bath.

Candira noticed that Rafe was still inside the room headed for dreamland. She smiled as she saw him there, very happy that she knew he would be safe and warm and dry. There was, however, a layer of guilt there as well. He'd stayed for her and for Nora. She was often surprised at how effective Nora's words could be. In fact, she often forgot the girl was a princess. But her subtlety was what had kept Rafe in with them. She would have to return the favor at some point.

At this point, Candira came to Rafe's side and sat next to him. "Are you asleep yet?"

The woman grinned and stayed in the shadows, gratefully sipping the wine after slipping in a purifying tablet. "I thank you for your compliments. I make it a point to satisfy all my customers. It was an honor to work for you, Prince David." She thought about answering his question. "Fate is always looking for something, majesty."

Rafe shook his head. "No. A little, but...still awake. My stomach doesn't feel too good." He nuzzled back against Candira. "Nora alright?" He asked gently.

David leaned forward, a serious look crossing his face. "I saw the man we're looking for. Rafe. He's with my sister, accompanying her to Windfall Castle. They're on the road there now...what do you think of that? He's in the company of Lady Candira, the very woman you and your group raided in the last war..."

Candira smiled and leaned down to kiss his head. She had a feeling his stomach was mostly just nerves at this point, so she wasn't terribly worried. "Nora's fine," she said with a smile. "Just taking a bath now." The redhead smiled and gently ran her fingers through his hair. "I'm glad you stayed with me," she said, putting her arms around him. She lay down with him and held him there. "I think Nora will be happy you're inside too. It looks pretty awful outside." She nuzzled against him and closed her eyes. "Are you alright?"

The shadowy woman frowned, her body instantly alert. "Interesting. I'd always wondered how she escaped...I wonder if he had something to do with it. But it could just be coincidence, I suppose." She stood up and turned her back to the royal. "Hmmm... How safe do you want your sister to be, exactly?"

Back
Top Bottom