Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dancing to a new tune (Wolvenrogue and Dead Rose Garden)

"I'm sure I could arrange for another pilot to take my place. It is such a pleasant thought I do believe I will. Let me help you to the sofa, and I'll go make the arrangements and be back in 20 minutes. I just have to run to the dock briefly, He said, and I will return." He carried her to the sofa, and started a fire to warm her. You wait here for me. I will be back very shortly.

Robert got dressed and hurried down to the dock to arrange a replacement for the day. He hurried home, and stopped to buy a dozen red roses on the way home. He came back in, the flowers in hand.

He would find her just where he hand left her but she was singing to herself a sweet lullaby her mother once sang her. She yawned big and rubbed her eyes knowing that no matter how well she had slept that song would do the job of sending her right back into a happy doze.
When she heared the door she called to Robert trying her best not to sound to enthusiastic. After so many years of life she was just now getting around to be asked around about by a man. The men who had hurt her friends were being put to justice and she had a kind man who so freely admitted his feelings no matter how frightened they had made her the night prior.
“Was all well? I do hope I did not get you into trouble.” She called to him again waiting to see him come around the corner.

"I am the senior pilot", He said "there are always junior pilots waiting for a chance at real experience. All I have to do is be willing to let them. and with a beautiful woman waiting for me I was more than willing." He handed her the roses. "These don't do you justice he said, but they will have to do I'm afraid."
He took off his boots and coat and joined her in front of the fire on the sofa, and wrapping his arm around her leaned in and kissed he warmly. "How could I not take a day off when I had the chance to spend it alone with you" he said. He ran his fingers through her beautiful hair and watched her eyes flash in the firelight.

A maiden’s blush took her face as he kissed her but she did not push him away. She instead brought the roses to her face, “They are lovely Robert. Thank you so much for all your kindness.” She had never had a man so forward with her without giving him a harsh scolding at least but something about Robert and the joy that took his eyes right now with her made her feel gleeful.
She knew she would never replace his late wife but she was starting to warm to the idea of calling him her own. She reached for his hand taking it lightly in her own, “Robert I have thought all this time about your words last night and I wanted to talk to you more about it. Should I marry you some day would you be kind enough to allow me to keep singing?” Her independence was like air to her without it she felt she would be smothered into nothing. She hardly ever thought of being a wife but in the situation she also knew that she hardly could say no. She was starting to wonder if she would say no at all.

"Allow you?!" My goodness girl, I'd insist on it!.. All I would ever ask is the privilege of accompanying you. To as you not to sing would be a sin against nature. " He kissed her again, this time more playfully, but in its own way even more sensually than before. As they sat there by the fire, He held her close, and they celebrated each other as they embraced. It felt so natural, and right. He wanted nothing more than to be close to her.

Would you share a glass of wine with me, he said?

“Oh I simply could not partake in wine. I simply lose my head with such things and then where would we be?” There was ,however, to be an interruption as a rapping came to the door. Anna and Lizzy stood at the door clearly worried for their good friend.
“Anna should we tell her the Diva locked her out?” Lizzy worried as she rung her hands. But Anna put out a hand to silence her.
“We are here to make sure she is alright that is all and you will keep your mouth closed should we be interrupting anything more than a friendly space between them on the sofa. Do you understand?” And Lizzy nodded her head as they waited for the door to be answered.

Robert got up and went to the door. Seeing Anna and Lizzy, he asked them in. "Kitty is on the sofa, nursing her foot, I'm sure she will be glad to see you," He said. "right this way , he said leading them to the den and the sofa. Kitty was seated there, her hair down, and the Roses next to her. He ushered the girls in. " Kitty, Anna and Lizzy are here to see you."

As they went to Kitty to talk, Robert went to the piano and began to play, just loud enough that he could not hear their conversation, affording Kitty some sense of privacy with her dear friends.

“Ladies I have a very important thing to ask you. She looked in his direction as she hurriedly talked to the girls, “I think he may ask in time for me to be his wife, should this come to pass will you be my ladies to attend me on my wedding day?”
Lizzy had been examining the roses thoroughly before she spoke, “A man who can pick twelve perfect roses is more than welcome to ask for my dearest friend and if I may say sister’s hand in marriage. Oh Kitty! You will be such a lovely bride!”
Anna on the other hand rose to walk into the are where Robert was playing, “You know very well that Kitty has become fond of you.” She sat beside him the other two looking at her not able to hear them over the playing piano, “You will make her a happy woman for the rest of her life or so help me I will poison you. She is a good and honest woman with a heart of gold and I love her more than any family I was born to. She is like out sister and we shall have her married well.” Anna was not normally so brazen but on this day she was going to make her feeling clear without confusion.

Robert chuckled at Anna's comment. " My dear Anna, If I were a poor husband to your friend, I should hope you would, but I have no fear of your threat for I'd sooner die myself than see her unhappy. So don't worry, your friend is safe with me, and should I be fortunate enough that she would accept me, I shall be the happiest man in all St. Louis!."

Robert got up from the piano and walked over to Kitty, and kissed her deeply. "It seems Anna here is worried that I might noy make you a happy woman, should you have any doubt, tell me now so I may have opportunity to address your concern, for with your sisters' Kind permission I intend to ask you to be my wife, and the sooner the better!"

Catherine glared at Anna who then declared that she would be aiding in the picking of any marital ring and Lizzy squealed with delight, “Oh! You had better get used to us then because we could not live without Kitty! OH! Will you have children?” Lizzy gushed but Kitty sat stunned.
“I am so sorry Robert I never intended to push you into a situation where you felt so obligated. I do think however it is rather early to be talking about children!” She held her hand to her rapid beating chest as she looked at the man she had known such a short time, “I hope that we shall have a long engagement that we may be sure of our relationship before we enter anything so final because I am not a woman who believes in divorce.”
Anna gave a great smile at her dear Kitty’s wise choice, “And besides we will need to have a dress made for her and plan where to have the ceremony.”

Robert chuckled at them, "well you may be a package deal, but I'm only marrying Kitty," he said " Its her wedding, and she gets to make the schedule. You two will be welcome in our home any time, as long as you respect her, which I'm sure will be no problem. He leaned over the back of the couch, and whispered in her ear, whenever you three ladies are don with your visit, I'll be at the piano. Just let me know and I'll come join you again", he said smiling. He went back to the piano and resumed playing music just loud enough for the women's conversation to be kept to themselves.

Kitty glared at Anna, “HE had yet to even ask me! I was simply trying to tell you girls he made his feelings for me very clear last night which is how I injured myself.” She sighed giving in to the joy she was feeling, “This is ridiculous I hardly know him and yet here we are under the same roof and talking about a union.”
But Anna just smiled and sat beside her friend, “Well that is what they have long engagements for but you are fortunate at your age to be a bride and to such a gentleman. I will never forget what he did for us. How he saved us.” The three women while horrified by the happenings smiled at one another and before long Anna and Lizzy were saying their goodbyes and went to also say good bye to Robert before taking their leave.

Robert may not have known when he gave the invitation but the other two women were going to be almost permanent fixtures in the home as well. The three had been inseparable since Kitty came to the theater and that was not going to change.

Kitty smelled the roses again before setting them back down beside her. She wished she could walk to put them in something but when she tried to stand and limp towards the door way she only made it a few feet before she put too much pressure on the hurt leg and collapsed onto the floor, “Well this simply will not do!” She said angered at her own incompetence.

Hearing her fall Robert quickly got up from the piano and whisked her off the floor. " Don't you know your ankle is injured and will not support even one so light as yourself?" He said. "I was right at the piano, you should have asked for help." He sat her back on the sofa, and picked up the roses, and put them in a vase full of water for her, and set them on the end table.

He sat down next to her, gently kissed her, and asked" Have I rushed you too much my dear? It could never come to soon for me but I want you to be ready also. Don't let those "sisters" of yours pressure you either. You need to do what is right for you."

Catherine gave a pained smile, “Sorry I am just rather independent I suppose.” She tried to move the ankle but winced with pain, “I suppose it will need a few days but sitting still will simply drive me mad!” She gave a heavy sigh and when he kissed her the pained expression was replaced by a shy smile.
“It is a bit quick but If we take it at as a long engagement I think Anna might be right. It will bring far less shame for a man to ask his fiancée to stay with him rather than just a girl who is orphaned. I was hoping perhaps it would have been far more romantic than what Anna pushed us to but I suppose things are what they are.”

Robert got down on the floor and started to look at her injured ankle, but it was only a ruse. He was down on one knee, he reached into his pocket and produced a small velvet box. He opened it, and holding it up for her asked, "Catherine Davis, I love you more than life itself, will you marry me?" The box held an elegant gold band with a solitaire diamond gleaming in the firelight like her eyes. He waited patiently for her answer as he smiled. He hadn't been forced by Anna to do anything. She just mage him do it twice, which to him was no trouble at all.

Catherine could feel tears in her eyes, which for a woman like her was a rare thing but as she offered her hand she did not say yes but instead, “Anna is going to be so mad at you!” Then she laughed heartily and kissed him excitedly on the lips. “I say a year out for the wedding, will that do? IT will give me time to gather enough money from working to help pay for it. Oh Robert!” She kissed him again and her emotional display that caused her injury seemed more like a blessing than the embarrassing tumble it was.
She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and then held onto him in a warm embrace for a long moment until she realized something almost embarrassing. “Do you have family or friends I must meet before our intentions become formally known? You realize this will be the talk of Saint Louis that the upcoming theater Diva was preparing to marry a man she hardly knew.” She could not help but think on the matter for a long moment.

Robert was puzzled. This was the woman who had just said "I was hoping perhaps it would have been far more romantic than what Anna pushed us to but I suppose things are what they are.” and yet when he offered a heart felt proposal that had been interrupted once by Anna, now her answer didn't even include the word "yes". He loved this woman dearly, but he had to admit to himself he did not understand her." Will you marry me?" he asked a second time. I'll wait for the wedding if need be, and Anna can be as mad as she wants. Kitty I love you and I hope you love me too." He was old fashioned, and just wanted to hear the words. He had purchased the ring before her fall and had waited for this opportunity, and he didn't want to miss it.

She gave a soft smile reaching for his heart, “You have been my hero since the very moment I saw you. You have been kind and patient and have given me feelings I have never had for a man.” She reached to touch his face with her warm soft palm, “I would be honored to be your wife. I will marry you as long as you will have me. My answer is yes.”
Her heart was pounding and she did not seem to notice her mention of Anna as all she could see in her sights were a man who adored her offering her the most important thing a man in love could give, a lifelong vow. She removed her hand from his face and sat up more letting herself sit more on the edge of the sofa.

Robert nearly fainted at the change, but his heart swelled with pure joy at her answer. he took her hand in his and slid the ring on her finger then rising picked her up and kissed her in his arms. "Kitty Davis, I love you!" he said. " and I hope everyone knows it. I have no family any more, but if did, we'd tell them all as soon as possible. Don't you even think about paying for a wedding. Save your money for a dress. We'll be married on a stern wheeler by the captain in the middle of the river, and announce it with the whistle! let all of St. Louis know, I found my true love! How does that sound?

She laughed jubilantly, “Yes that sounds delightful.” She kissed him on the lips excitedly and even thought for a long moment left her lips on his, “I am so happy you crazy romantic fool!” She stroked his cheek softly and as truly as she had ever said the words she whispered softly against his lips, “I love you Robert.”
Her lips pressed to his for another long moment and her heart felt like it would literally beat out of her chest.

He carried her to the Piano, and sat her on the bench and then scooted in next to her, and started to softly play "Black is the color." humming the tune softly to her, waiting for her to sing. His heart was singing already. he looked on her lovingly his eyes shining brightly. He hadn't ever felt so good. There were no comparisons to Erin in his mind, his life with her had been wonderful to but now this was all about Kitty, and only Kitty. At that moment she was all he could see, and all he wanted to see.

He had at first been enchanted by her voice, but now it was her heart that enchanted him more. He saw her voice as just a way her heart expressed itself, and oh how expressive it was!

She knew it pleased him when she sang and so she did happily for him. She would never get used to being carried but she could get used to signing for someone who truly loved it and her. She had no thoughts of his dead wife as they shared the music but that night she did think of her.
Her hands trembled slightly as she woke up from a dream that shook her to the core. Her heart was pounding and despite the wonderful night that had been prelude to the dream she still could not shake her dreadful feeling. Morning had come and to her great delight Anna and Lizzy were there first thing to help her dress and to entertain her as Robert would have likely gone to work. She showed off the ring and the girls were happy to say they would announce the engagement to everyone in the theater at once!
They left Kitty who had managed to hobble successfully down the steps and to the kitchen where she prepared a pot pie made with chicken potatoes and vegetables with hand made gravy.

Robert came in after his morning run up river and back, and found Kitty hobbling about the kitchen. " You are absolutely encoragible! If you don't stay off that ankle it will never heal. Something smells really good, I didn't know you were a good cook, but its a pleasant surprise." He held her from behind and nuzzled her neck as she continued with her cooking. He loved the thought of her at home, though he knew she wanted to continue in the theater, and that this might indeed be a rare moment. He savored it just the same.

"The girls must have been over, weren't they? " He was wondering just how she managed to get down the stairs.

Catherine was a bit vague when answering his question about how she had gotten down the steps, “Well they came to visit and helped me get into the dress.” She smiled a little bit pausing to put her hand over his, “And yes I am a well accomplished chef. Nearly any recipe or ingredient you give me I can turn into a masterpiece. Now let me get this supper cooked or my poor fiancée may just go hungry.” Nimbly she turned and, despite the limp, turned the pie into the area to cook it so that the outside might brown nicely.

“Now not to spoil you but the girls will be coming back with some apples so I might also make a desert to celebrate.” She smiled at him happily and turned to him again once the pie was set in to cook, “I did miss having you with me a great deal today. It will be very hard once I return to singing because our hours will be opposite. You will still love me then won’t you Robert?” Her eyes seemed slightly worried as she turned her thoughts to their daily separation.

"Well, there are many possible solutions to that problem my dear, But regardless, I shall always love you as much or more than today." He hugged her warmly, then let her finish with her pie, then scooped her upand took her to the piano. "we have time for a song or two while that bakes", he said. He kissed her gently, then started to play. He hoped she would start to sing and let him accompany her.

Back
Top Bottom