Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dancing to a new tune (Wolvenrogue and Dead Rose Garden)

wolvenrogue

Singularity
Supporter
Catherine Davis was a dance hall girl in St. Louis. She had come with he parents in 1840 as young girl. Her mother had died of collera the next year, and she had lived with her father up to her 17th birthday, when she decided she was sick of being under his thumb and run off. She found easy work at the dance hall, and the money was good, but she soon learned that there were other things to consider. She tried to go home to her father, but found that while she was away he'd been shot. She was stuck there now with no other means of support.

Robert Charles was a river pilot, and specialized in getting the big steamers up the rapids where the Mississippi and Missouri river met. As a consequence he made one short run a day and could live a comfortable life in the city. Unlike most sailors, he was a gentleman, and lived a quiet life. He had been married, but had lost his wife in the same epidemic that claimed Catherine's Mom. She had been young at the time, and it had left Robert a troubled man. He had never found the equal of his wife Beverly, and so remained a chaste man.

Hard times fell on the dance hall when a fire broke out, and suddenly Catherine found her self with out any means of support.

Catherine was a resourceful girl despite her misfortune and she was talented in many areas. Sadly for her that required her to live meagerly for quite some time until she found work as a chorus girl in a local theater. She had her eyes set on the spot of Diva and despite the competition her spotlight was looking more promising with every passing month. The girl had a strong presence and everyone around her could feel it when she walked into a room and tonight was no exception.
The diva of the place had been marked unfit to perform that night by the doctor who was rather fond of Catherine affording her the perfect opportunity to be the understudy. When she took the stage she was more than just a replacement but a newly celebrated success that the owners were ready to call the rise of their new star. That night suitors were lined at her door but she was far from interested in the men there, instead she would leave the theater that night with her in house supporters and celebrate with the new money she had just been awarded. She was to be a wealthy woman if things went as planned and that was something she had always dreamed of. The streets at night however were not always the place for a young beauty such as her and she soon found danger much more quickly than she would have liked.
While the other ladies put up little fight to the group of men Catherine fought and screamed for help with everything she had and despite the tearing of her gown she still tried to fight off the men from the women but alone she stood no chance.

Robert was on his way back from the docks, having just had dinner aboard the river steamer he had just brought south through the rapids from Hannibal. The free dinner was a perk of the job, and made his bachellor's life much simpler. As he walked home the usual street sights and sounds were all around. The dance hall had closed its show for the evening, and the drunks were on the street looking for the next watering hole. These street urchins were generally harmless, having consumed enough alcohol to present little if any threat. He paid them no heed and contiued on his way to his home. His routine was about to be shattered by the high pitched sound of a woman's scream. This tone of her scream spoke of despiration, and he jumped into action. Since the loss of his dear wife, he saw himself as a protector of women, and would not let the call for help go unheeded.

Pulling his black-jack from the pocket of his peacoat, he ran in the direction of the noise and found six large men accosting three women. Two of the women were already being raped, and the third, who had been screaming was fighting like a wildcat with the other four.

Though the odds were not in his favor, Robert jumped into action, first stopping the rapes in progess with a single blow to the back of the head with his black-jack. Then he turned to the other four. "Hey you lilly livered fools!, he said. It takes four of you to subdue one woman? Let's see how you do with a man!". Letting go of the woman, they turned on him. His reactions were quick and one at a time they fell to his blackjack.

He approached the woman who was attempting to reassemble her dress somewhat, and helped her to her feet. "Good evening Maam, my name is Robert, I am sorry i didnt arrive sooner." He said.

wolvenrogue said:
Robert was on his way back from the docks, having just had dinner aboard the river steamer he had just brought south through the rapids from Hannibal. The free dinner was a perk of the job, and made his bachellor's life much simpler. As he walked home the usual street sights and sounds were all around. The dance hall had closed its show for the evening, and the drunks were on the street looking for the next watering hole. These street urchins were generally harmless, having consumed enough alcohol to present little if any threat. He paid them no heed and contiued on his way to his home. His routine was about to be shattered by the high pitched sound of a woman's scream. This tone of her scream spoke of despiration, and he jumped into action. Since the loss of his dear wife, he saw himself as a protector of women, and would not let the call for help go unheeded.

Pulling his black-jack from the pocket of his peacoat, he ran in the direction of the noise and found six large men accosting three women. Two of the women were already being raped, and the third, who had been screaming was fighting like a wildcat with the other four.

Though the odds were not in his favor, Robert jumped into action, first stopping the rapes in progess with a single blow to the back of the head with his black-jack. Then he turned to the other four. "Hey you lilly livered fools!, he said. It takes four of you to subdue one woman? Let's see how you do with a man!". Letting go of the woman, they turned on him. His reactions were quick and one at a time they fell to his blackjack.

He approached the woman who was attempting to reassemble her dress somewhat, and helped her to her feet. "Good evening Maam, my name is Robert, I am sorry i didnt arrive sooner." He said.
“Hello, thank you for your help.” The woman took his hand and gave him no name as she was distracted far too much by her crying companions. She had to get them back home to the theater but they were useless in this state.
“I apologize for any trouble this may cause you but might you help me again? I can only carry one of them will you please take the other? Then I need to report this to the police and as you were a witness I may need to give them your name and address. I did manage to recognize two of them and I will see as many to justice as I can.”
The brim of her corset could be seen and there was nothing left of her tucking lace but with no shame she helped one of the women onto her back, “It will be alright Lizzy. We are just fine thanks to think kind man.” She gave him a gentle smile awaiting his response as she stood holding the other woman on her back. It was clear she was a force to be reckoned with and by no means was she the shrinking violet so many women were.

"Certainly ma'am, it will be my pleasure to help us much as I possibly can under the circumstances. Do you have a safe place to stay the evening? My home is just a block from here, and I have enough room that each of you ladies may have a place to sleep this evening, in your own room, if you like. I can summon the police for you in the morning and we can give a full report as you suggest, but I would hate to see any of you hurt again." She followed him carrying her friend on her shoulders to his home, and they made each one in a room of her own, on a bed, and allowed them to rest and recover. Before retiring for the night, he went to his wife's closet, and found a dress which seem suitable, for the young woman, whose name he still did not know. He gave her the dress and showed her to a room where she too could sleep for the night.

She tucked the girls in nicely and went to find their kind host stopping in the common areas of the house unsure where to find him, “Sir?” She called out but her mind drew a blank. He had given her a name but with all that was going on she just could not seem to recall. She knew it began with an R but to call the wrong name for a man who had just been her rescuer was far too beneath her so again she called out, “Sir? I wanted to thank you again.” Her voice was soft and melodic but even when she spoke she did so from her diaphragm. Still clutching her dress she stood in the doorway to the sitting room resigned to wait for his appearance.

"There you are" he said"I thought you might like to have this dress, it belonged to my wife," his voice cracking a bit as he spoke. "She can't use it any longer, and it's a shame for it just to sit in the closet unused. You're a very brave woman. Let me show you to your room. I hope you will rest peacefully this evening. Take your time about getting up I will summon the Sheriff in the morning." He walked her to her room and asked, "is there anything else I can get you before retiring? Anything at all? Please help yourself to anything that you find you are my honored guest."

She took the dress but being the sort she was she simply could not leave him the way he apeard. Many times when she was young she had been scolded for being such a nosy girl but when she reched her hand to his to grasp it for a brief moment her intentions were kind, “Thank you very kindly for the dress. I will change immediately and I think your wife for owning such a lovely treasure to one day have shared with me. Your kindness is something I shall never forget in all the time I breathe.” She let go of him and turned to enter the room but paused again, “I doubt that I will sleep after all that has happened to me and my friends. If you will not retire soon I would be glad to sing for you. Just a little something to sooth you.” She smiled waiting for his response before going to dress.

" That would be charming," he said politely. "I'd love to hear you sing. I have a piano and a guitar in the study, perhaps, I can play for you? It been along time since I have had someone to accompany, my wife was a singer as well. While you're changing, I'll light a fire, and put on some coffee." He went to the fireplace and lit a fire, then filled the coffee pot and hung it from the hearth to boil. He picked up his guitar, and began softly strumming an old celtic melody as he waited for her to finish dressing. This was turning out to be a fine evening, he though to himself as he finished the chorus, and started around again, humming the melody softly as he went. He loved music but had played little since his wife's sudden death. A tear formed in the corner of his eye, and and he caught it with his finger and pushed it aside.

Despite the fit of the dress everywhere else the bust was very tight so much so that no tucking lace in the world would have covered the overspill she was having but shyly she descended the steps catching sight of him as he wiped the tear away, “Are you an Irish man? My family moved here from Span.” Her breath was shallow and out of kindness she did not mention the man’s show of emotion. Catherine simply lingered in the door way waiting to see if he still wanted her to enter and sing for him.

Her eyes were sad for him and her kindness showed in the smooth face that was momentarily crinkled with pain for what he was feeling. She understood how it was to love someone and have them die but the loss of parents was nothing when compared to a wife.

Robert looked over as he played, and motioned with his head for her to enter. " Do you know it?" he asked. "It's "the shearins no for you" was my sweet wife's favorite", he said. I'm Welsh, not Irish he said, but my wife was a firey Irish redhead, " he said. He finished the chorus , and stopped. " I'd love to here you sing. what can I play for you? I play the piano too." He said.

Catherine’s hands came to rest on her diaphragm and she thought the song of her choosing might be too somber but she loved singing it and so rarely got the chance, “Black is the color if you will.” Her voice took a higher octave than that which was normally sung but her soprano tone was still rich and almost sultry. She took her time with the song like it had been meant to be done and the depth of the meaning was easily conveyed in it. She decided the notes in the song were not so affected by her pressed bosom but that was truly not the reason she chose it.
The tears that formed at the edges of her eyes were easily wiped away before presumed noticeable, “ I know it is a newer song but I do so love it. I hope it was nice and to you your liking?” Then she realized she had not offered a name to him,” My name is Catherine by the way though my friends call me Kitty.”

"Well Kitty, it was lovely , I hope you found my guitar a fitting accompaniment for you." Do you know Hector the Hero by chance? I know its Scottish, but I do love it so." He was enthralled with her voice and her fiery character, both reminded him of his dear Erin, a wild Irish rose, if ever there had been one. He hadn't felt this good in recent memory. He felt he could play to her singing all night if he had opportunity.

He put down the guitar, and sat at the piano, and found that her voice was as good a match there as it had been on guitar. She not only had the voice of a songbird, but she was incredibly lovely too, and though he was at pains to admit it, filled out Erin's dress in a way his wife never had.

Catherine smiled when her nickname passed through his lips and she admitted honestly having only done the song a few times. She agreed though and the natural performer in her managed the song with hardly any flaws. She was taken by the music as he played and while she had always been a rather joyful young woman she had not been so at ease or comfortable in a very long time.
Once the song finished she smiled brightly at him, “Thank you for coming to our rescue this evening. I am not used to being saved.” She smiled and gestured to the piano bench beside him, “May I?” She slid in beside him admiring the piano, “ I know a little about playing but my true talent lies with the vocal side rather than the orchestra or instrumental part of my business. You should come as our guest tomorrow night.”

Robert skooted over just a bit and patted the bench. "I was brought up that women in trouble were to be defended" he said, " My father would role over in his grave had I not come to your aid." Rescuing them had been as natural as getting out of bed in the morning to him. He loosened his fingers and began to play "Planxty Fanny Poer". Do you know it? he asked, not really expecting an answer. "It's an old tune but it's a good one." He started singing it, hoping she would join in. His voice wasn't what it had been, but he was still a pretty fair baritone. Kitty was charming and sweet, and he was thoroughly enjoying their time together. He hadn't enjoyed an evening this much since Erin was alive.

She had known the song but pretended not to just to listen to him, the face of a true gentleman. She had never once thought in her life with the road she ended up on that she would ever meet a man such as him. Catherine smiled at him with a subtle enjoyment that she tried her best to keep from sowing her true pleasure in his company.

“Kitty?” Her dearest friend Elizabeth was peeking in the room rubbing her eyes and Catherine stood. Lizzy gave her a knowing look that Catherine prayed their male host would not see and quickly Catherine took Lizzy by the arm.

“Please excuse me I must put her back to bed.” She whispered to her friend after they were out of ear shot, “I cannot remember his name. Lizzy, do you recall?”

“I think it was Robert but you know it is not proper to call a new acquaintance especially a man by his first name! What will people think of you?” But Catherine hushed her friend and got her back to bed before returning.

“I am sorry about that she was concerned for my wellbeing and my modesty but given the nature of my profession I doubt anyone thinks I have any anyway.” She smiled almost sadly as she returned to the side of the Piano.

As she returned Robert, who had been humming along while she was gone, picked up with the melody where he had left off, and nodded for her to join him. He wanted very much to hear her beatiful sopranoo against his rich Baritone voice. He softened his voice abit, further inviting her to come in. Music was a passion for him, one that had been set aside since Erin had passed. As he turned the page back to the beginning to start the next verse on his sheet music, she saw his name neatly hand written at the top of the page "property of Robert Charles".

Robert listened to what she had said, but while he saw her as a beautiful woman, which she certainly was, he made no judgement at all of her based on her profession. To hime she was a lady, and to be afforded the full respect due someone of her gender, unless she were to show him otherwise personnaly.

She saw how he signaled subtly for her to join him and she began to sing with him. The combination was something that made her stomach feel as if it were fluttering and her heart felt as if it would beat hard enough to bust the tight dress. Naturally her heart did nothing of the sort and she allowed herself to enjoy the music. She considered calling him Mr. Charles but she simply could not bring herself to say the words even in her head.

She hated formalities and felt that saving a woman’s life was far to intimate a situation to take Lizzy at her advice. She had decided she was going to call him Robert, formality be damned. Once the song had finished she tested it out to see how it would be received, “Thank you for the wonderful accompaniment Robert but I fear day light drawls near. I must sleep to be ready for tomorrow’s performance. They anticipate a full house.” She rose curtsying respectfully then as she went to take her leave she turned to look at him, “I would love to do this again though should you ever call upon me.”

"It would certainly be my pleasure Kitty, and I would love to accompany you whenever it might be mutually convenient. When is your show tomorrow? I would be happy to awaken you in plenty of time if you like, besides, I would be honored should you and your two friends be willing to join me for breakfast. It isn't often I have an opportunity for such lovely companions at a meal." Robert wished her goodnight and banked the fire, and removed the coffee pot to the side before retiring. He knew it would be a short nights sleep, but he was delighted for having had the opportunity.

With the house now dark and quiet, he could see the first evidence of light on the horizon, and decided in favor of simply resting a few hours by the glowing embers of the fire in his huge leather chair. He knew that he would be awaken in plenty of time by the sun flooding in the window.

Catherine explained that the show started at six sharp but the ladies would be leaving just after breakfast and talking to the police. She then left him to his sleep and was up a few short hours later waking the girls and doing her best to make them look orderly before the three of them came down the steps. “Robert?” Kitty called his name trying to decide where to find him but Lizzy elbowed her and Anna gave her a dreadful look.

Catherine rolled her eyes and stepped into the room where she had left him the night prior hopeful that he would respond to her to prove to the girls that her calling him by his given name was truly not a problem. He had called her Kitty after all.

"In the kitchen Kitty!" he called out cheerily. Have a seat at the table, I'll be out in a minute. Robert cam out with the coffe pot nice and hot, and a big plate of bacon. "be right back with the eggs," he said. He had served as a ships cook for many years and cooking was no challenge for him, in fact he enjoyed it. He served each of them a heaping plate of breakfast complete with bisquits, and the served himself. Well what are you waiting for ladies... enjoy he said with a cheery smile. It was obvious that they we shocked.

Catherine gave both the girls a smug look when he called her Kitty and she lead the way to the dinning area sitting promptly in time for him to bring out the items. Anna spoke up first, “Kitty we can not eat a heavy meal like this on a performance day.”

“You lecture me on my manners and yet you are going to snub our kind host and rescuer? Remember Anna it was he who carried you to the safety of that bed you slept in. Now you will eat and remember little lady like bites we are not in a mess hall.” It was clear that Catherine had been taught farther than the other girls in manners and she nodded to them to eat once he was seated, “We were waiting for our kind host. Thank you for this food and your great kindness.”

Like they were children they repeated her words of thanks and praise and ate as lightly as they could without getting scolded by Catherine about their foul manners.

Robert smiled and was obviously enjoying their company. "Will you need me to testify with the police for you? I want to be sure those bums go to jail for what they did to you. " he asked. He continued eating and chatting with the other girls as well. Seeing that they were eating slowly , he went to the piano and began to play. Seeing kitty was finished eating, he said " ok kitty you have time for one song don't you?" He continued playing , and waiting for her to join him.

He definitely planned to make their next show. He was so enthralled with Kitty, that he could barely think of anything else. He hadn't been this happy in years. Where do you ladies stay?he asked.

As Catherine stood and went to stand beside him the girls watched in awe, several men had requested such of Kitty but she had always turned them down saying that her voice was what she made money for and unless they would pay her to sing she would not.
Yet there she was singing for him and the girls knew just what was happening. The dress, the willing songs, the vast breakfast yes it was all too clear. They were certain Catherine had done something dreadful to pay for such things and their salvation. Catherine knew the speculations but she did not care. Once the song was done she spoke plainly to him so much so that the girls all looked away.
“Given society’s take on theater girls we may just need you to testify because they will hardly believe it was unwilling. I thank you for the offer.” She gave him a sweet smile and the girls literally gasped.
Lizzy was quick to speak as always not thinking before doing so, “Kitty do you fancy this man? I have never seen you do anything but grimace at a man!” Catherine’s eyes grew wide and her face pink.
“Lizzy! How could you imply such a thing? He was kind to us and deserves all out our friendship and warm smiles. HE is not some louse who chases us simply to get at our skirting.” Anna was quick to defend but Catherine remained silent as any modest woman would but the truth was in her silence.
The man had saved her, clothed her, and done everything a good Christian man would have done but what swayed her to favor him was the pain in his eyes and the tear she watched him shed for his dead wife.

"Well my ladies, I will certainly testify for you, and I plan on attending your show this evening. perhaps you would allow me to provide you an escort to the police station. I would like to insure that there is not a repeat of last nights performance, by some other Cad, who cannot control himself. You did not answer my question though? where do you young ladies stay, if I may be so bold. This is not a safe city, especially in the immediate vicinity of the theater.

I have now one to occupy the rooms you stayed in last night, and if you found them comfortable, would be pleased to offer them on a permanent basis. I was very glad of your company, especially the music.

He was greatly understating his feelings. At that moment he would have done nearly anything moral to convince at least kitty to take up his offer, generous as it was.

Back
Top Bottom