Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Stolen (Candira and Frelance)

He looked up at her and showed her when she asked what he had taken he wondered if he should actually tell her what he had taken. After a moment he took out three books and two more scrolls so he had taken a total of seven items. All of them were to do with the druids or one set of ruins or another. The one book that stood out was one of the hardest books to come by. "They king has a good collection of books on the druids but I doubt he understands the books very well." He smiled a bit for the first time as he showed her what he took. He pointed to the odd book out. "This is what my employer wanted the rest caught my eye." He left the books and started to read one of the scrolls.

"I see...that's an awful lot of risk for a book," she thought aloud, taking a sip of her tea. Much better now. She was also starting to warm up, but she was still in wet clothing. She looked around the room and found something she could drape her clothes over to dry. She just needed to borrow his cloak awhile longer. "Might I ask you to become thoroughly absorbed in your reading a for a few moments?" she asked, drinking more of her tea, feeling much better now than she had been. Perhaps some of her trembling before had also been hunger and exhaustion. "I'm curious about more but I'll leave you to your privacy if I can just have some as well."

"The price was right and with the collection that he had up there it was worth the risk." He looked up at her as she asked him to get absorbed into the text. A smirk pulled at the corners of his lips as he got what she meant then turned around and started reading again. "I will be as absorbed as you want me to be." He picked up his tea and drank slowly as he read over the text. He had to read over each line a few times to get the right meaning of the words. He had read over many scrolls similar to this one but each one he read seemed to change the meaning of each word a bit. After taking another drink he set the cup down. "So are the rumors true that you are at the castle because of his son?" He asked casually but he was listening intently to what she was saying.

He was a strange person to be sure--a thief working for more than just money. Scrolls meant knowledge...and if he could read them, he was intelligent as well. She wondered why he took such risks, but it wasn't really her place to judge him. After all, everyone was entitled to some secrets. So she moved out of his line of sight and took off his cloak for a moment so that she could peel off her wet dress. She ran her hands over her cold body for a moment and then put the cloak back on in a hurry, fastening it around herself as she heard him as his next question.

"I suppose that's why my father brought me along." She wrung out her gown and then draped it carefully over a clean chair, setting it a little closer to the fire. "To be honest, I don't think either of us were really that fond of each other, but we were able to have a conversation, so I suppose that's something." She sighed and then sat down closer to the fire. "You can look this way now if you like." She frowned. "I wasn't really fully on board when I came with anyway. But I thought you knew all about me. Surely you knew that?" she teased just a bit.

He listened to her intently as he thought up what he would do with her. The idea had already started to form as he brought her here but now he was sure what he would do. The money would not hurt but it was that he could get her off his hands without killing her that was the key to it all.

He looked up a few seconds after her joke and gave her a small smile as he tried to hide his distraction. "I can only find out what I here." He had a bit more of his tea as he read some more of the text. "Do you know anything of theses ruins?" He just briefly glanced at her as he asked.

She got up and walked to him so that she could see them better. She did recognize them, actually, but she couldn't quite make out what they said in this light. "I can read some of them," she said. "I had a tutor once who liked teaching the history of the languages he taught. These did come up...but it's a little hard to read in this light." She shrugged and sat down. "Why do you ask?"

Cursen held them at a better angle for her to read then he looked at her as she sat down. "They are speaking of how these buildings were constructed." He rapped his knock on the floor as he mentioned the buildings. "So far I have not found anything to do with human sacrifices and the spirits of the dead coming out at night to eat anyone who has strayed into the the ruins here." He was smiling by the time he had finished. He had heard so many rumors about some many different ruins like these which is what made them such a good hiding place for him. "I am surprised the King is interested in these though. Most rulers do not care much about the history of ruins like these. At least from what I have seen of their libraries." He rolled up the scroll and put it into a leather bag he pulled out form under his bedding. After putting all the books in it he picked up his tea and started to sip at it again.

She sat down near him and looked at the ruins, some of them becoming more than just strange symbols. Leaning a bit closer she began to read as he held it for her, joking about not finding any of the old horror stories about these ruins. She noticed that he seemed happy about what he'd read. It was an interesting scroll, but nothing terribly important in her mind. "I don't know that these ruins are particularly important to the king," she said, as he rolled up the scroll. "Just because he has the scrolls doesn't mean that he reads them or that he particularly cares about them. There are many books in our library at home that have found their way in, but no one really cares about. But we don't have the heart to throw away good books."

Nel shrugged and sipped at her tea. "I hope you're getting paid a great deal for this after all the trouble you had to go through." It was sort of hard to not be on Cursen's side in this matter...until she remembered that he was the reason she was freezing cold and still a little wet and naked under a cloak that didn't belong to her. Then she was a bit less forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom