Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cop and the Runaway (Closed for DeadRoseGarden)

After he left her the cell phone rang that she had hidden again in her bag and she made haste to answer it, “Hello?” When the boy from the art store responded Elizabeth put her charcoal down and sat on the edge of her bed. After several minutes of talking She set the phone down hurrying down the steps, “Hey can we go back to the art shop? I forgot something I need and I can’t go forward without it. So can we really fast? Please?” She pouted out her bottom lip attempting good humor to have her way.

He was sitting and contemplating their conversation when she came into the room.

“Hey can we go back to the art shop? I forgot something I need and I can’t go forward without it. So can we really fast? Please?” She pouted out her bottom lip attempting good humor to have her way.

“Umm seriously? Okay I guess if you need something that bad.” He replied very suspicious and skeptical. She was not the type that forgot someone. Very detail orientated. Her eyes didn’t protect her. They made him suspect she had some other ulterior motive.

He went along with it and got into his car and drove. He was on his guard even more though as he felt something wasn’t right. The other clues backed that up. He didn’t want to let on to her so he kept the conversation very light.

She was no idiot and she had already warned the guy that this would be a challenge but she knew just how to handle situations like this. She was a spiteful girl if nothing else and she would have revenge for the wound he inflicted on her whether she knew that was her reasoning or not. She tried to tell herself that she was just playing the game but the truth went far deeper.
Once she entered the store she took a long time searching for something she had been missing but she knew the store would likely not have in stock. She liked a certain brand of art colored pencils for her sketches but when she asked the girl who was working now she said they were an order only item. She placed the order just in time for the first opportunity for her escape to arise, “Do you have a ladies room?” Elizabeth reached in her purse pointing to the feminine products and the girl got her meaning. She took her to the back room and showed her into the bathroom. When she opened the door she knew all too well there was an open window just large enough for her small frame to fit through, “Thanks you have done me a huge favor!” She entered locking the door to the bathroom and took her opportunity when she turned the water on to slip through the window using her upper body strength to hold onto the thick ledge to pull herself up and start to lower herself outside of the window where a car was supposed to be waiting for her.

He watched her closely as she ordered her product then she asked the checkout gal for where the rest room was.

“Do you have a ladies room?” Elizabeth reached in her purse pointing to the feminine products and the girl got her meaning. She took her to the back room and showed her into the bathroom.

He followed but obviously stopped in the hallway.

“Thanks you have done me a huge favor!” She entered locking the door to the bathroom.

He waited a good 15 minutes listening to water running before knocking on the door. When no answer. He said, “Lizzie? Answer me or I am coming in.” He then kicked the door in and his face lost all of its blood.

That little fucking bitch made a run for it. If he had to call that in, he would lose his job. So thanks Lizzie. He rushed out to his car and started driving. He had no clues. He didn’t know if she had some friend from before..but how would she of contacted them. His mind was racing. Finally it clicked…the paint store and that checkout punk. It was worth a shot. He drove back and flashed his badge to get his address. RJ was off to his apartment.

Once he got to this punk apartment.
He drew his gun and knocked on the door with his badge in his other hand. He was livid.

She was there, a smug look on her face when she saw him from where she sat on the sofa, a nice thick glass of whiskey in her hand. “Well Ray it was nice to meet you and I had a great time. Guess I getter go before he shoots one of us.” She downed what was left in the glass her purse slung over her shoulder and while the guy stood there hands in the air all freaked out she simply walked out the door and off ahead towards the car.

The anger in his face and the fact that she knew she must have frightened him beyond compare was plenty enough for her satisfaction and then some. She even thought for just a moment that she found RJ angry far more attractive than when her was being kind or sensitive. She didn’t even care that she was almost drunk and in the biggest trouble she could have ever been in but the truth was if she had wanted she could have been long gone. Amazing what a smart girl like her could do with a faked period and 15 minutes.

There she was there, a smug look on her face when she saw him from where she sat on the sofa, a nice thick glass of whiskey in her hand.
“Well Ray it was nice to meet you and I had a great time. Guess I getter go before he shoots one of us.” She downed what was left in the glass her purse slung over her shoulder and she simply walked out the door and off ahead towards the car.

“Don’t you ever contact her again. If you know what is good for you.” J warned poor Ray.

He got back in the car and didn’t say a word. He drove directly back to the house. He got inside and shut the door.
“I am fucking done with you. In the morning I am calling the captain and you are going somewhere else with someone else. I am tired of your fucking games.” He said with extreme anger.

“Do you even comprehend what could happen to you Elizabeth? There are people likely out there hired to kill you so you don’t testify against those monsters. You pull a fucking stunt like that? You walk around here like you are so high and fucking mighty smart.” He added and walked across the room.

“I don’t even care if I lose my job I am done with you. You crossed the line of trust…I was fucking trying to be your friend. So first thing in the morning pack your shit. I am not doing this anymore. I don’t even want to ask why you did it.” He said and sat down.

“To prove knight in shining armors don’t exist. You say you want to protect me but you are talking about everyone else in the world. Maybe I need the most protection from myself.” She stood there by the door but before her eyes could let the tears go she headed for her room, “Guess I better pack.”
She held onto the wall for support. Inside the room the reality of her action came to her and she collapsed to her knees tears making her body shake. She would get away from the next person and she was no longer going to be found. No justice for her sister would be found with men like these. She began gathering all of her things in the shopping bags she bought them in and then went across to the bathroom to gather her things from there.

“To prove knight in shining armors don’t exist. You say you want to protect me but you are talking about everyone else in the world. Maybe I need the most protection from myself.” She stood there by the door. “Guess I better pack.”

He sat and tried to calm himself down before uttering another word.
“I just don’t understand Lizzie…okay I am sorry I blew up but this is still it. My job or not I can’t protect you when you clearly have made it known you don’t want to be here with your action. On a personal level, I can’t have it on my conscious to be responsible for anything to happen to you.” He states in a lower tone voice as he walks outside of her room.

“People like them don’t go to trial with an open and shut case like this unless they feel the star witness won’t testify. It doesn’t even matter how slick of a lawyer they buy. I was wrong in taking you shopping and then to the paint place and grocery store…but I didn’t want to fight with you and for you to be miserable just staying between these four walls. I get that I have a high percentage of responsibility here. I am sorry for failing. I did earnestly like you.” He adds and coughs clearing his throat.

“I don’t have a IQ…I am sure it quite average. So, I have no idea about what you are referring to knights in shining armor or me talking about the rest of the world. I am no knight or prince charming. I would take a bullet gladly for you. I did for causes I barely believed in…so for you I would have done anything to protect you even after the trial. I wanted to be your friend after the trial.” He said and paused.

“I don’t know if this about some type of relationship between us…more than friends. This is not the time Lizzie with your safety at stake. Yes I am attracted to you. I like spending time with you. I could see myself dating you. Just not now. And now not probable. I just wanted the record set straight. I am sure one of my annoying things. I will see you in the morning….I am not much up for dinner but you are welcome to make something. I am going to bed.” He adds and goes to his room after checking all the doors and windows are locked so she can’t escape.

In the morning he would call his commanding officer to advise he wanted off of this detail.

Elizabeth said nothing to him but that night again she would not sleep. The whole night she painted finishing the painting she had begun for him. The girl against the tree was hardly a shadow anymore as the colors of the sunset were reflected on her features and a woman with calm and neither happy nor unhappy features made her face seem severe and intense.
As the final brush stroke was made Elizabeth took a step back wishing she could be at peace like the woman in her painting but knew that she had no hope of that dream. Her hands, covered in paint, took an art pencil and began writing a note on the original copy of the picture.
RJ,
I never wanted a friend or anything from you truly but the words you spoke angered me to my soul. IF I had wanted to be gone I could have easily been but instead there I waited knowing full well you would come. Sometimes to be someone’s friend you have to save them but the important thing happens after the knight saves the damsel or for the IQ impaired let me break it down. You came charging in ready to shoot if I was in trouble and I knew even if it wasn’t the thought that he may have been sent by them but the fact that he was hurting me in some way you would have shot him. I don’t care about who you are willing to shoot or how willing you are to jump in front of the bullet for me the point is what you do once you have her on the horse. The stories never tell what happens once they ride off to the sunset well here it is in this painting.
Again to break it down for you, who is with the damsel? Where is the white steed and his rider that saved her from the danger? Now there she stands alone right where she had begun in this world but she is not crying because she knew all along that no one could save her but herself. I doubt I will ever see you again and so you know I never wanted to date you I just wanted to know if you would give up on me the moment I did something stupid. The thing about having a high IQ is knowing you are always going to be right even if you have to push people to breaking to make yourself right.
Goodbye.
Elizabeth
As she saw 5 am coming fast she set the letter face up on the bed and she brought the bags to be by the front door knowing her life was about to get very messy. She waited, wearing the same clothes she had been the day before paint smeared all over her, in front of the door.

He was up at 4am. He showered and got himself ready.

He didn’t speak to her initially. She came into the living room with her things a little after 5am. She brought the bags to be by the front door.

He cleared his throat.
“You can relax Elizabeth. They aren’t coming till 8am. They expect to drop off stuff for you. I guess to brief you on the trial schedule.” He states in a crackly voice.

“This will not be what they expect. I am sorry for blowing up last night. I don’t what game this was…sometime I feel like you are testing me. For what it is worth…this isn’t how I wanted it to turn out. I never failed at a mission while in Army or even as a cop. It doesn’t feel good to quit this one…I am sure they will take my badge today. I can’t be responsible if you run again. I don’t think we have that the trust I thought we had.” He adds and gets up.

He walks just to check she grabbed all her stuff. He sees the letter and reads it. He walks back to the living room. He looks at her somberly.
“I really really don’t get it. I don’t get you. Now I am quitting you? You did it to make yourself right that I would quit you?” He asks with a little emotion but a little pissed off.

“What do you truly want from me Elizabeth? Stop the damn games. If you act like this then you are correct about realizing no knights in shining armor or prince charmings. I tried to be nice to you...hell I even went above and beyond. You also proved something to me just the same as I proved your point.” He added as he looked at her.

“Make sure you tell them that you want to be relocated.” He says with a bit of a tone.

The time leading up to 8 am creeps by as he tries not to debate her and barely even wants anymore explanation. He is done and will hand in his badge if he has to.

Elizabeth had a plan. Somehow they all had to do with bathrooms but it was a solid plan. The truth was she didn’t want to leave him she wanted him to take her in his arms and ask her to stay. She knew she would never run from him again if he did but the fact of it was he was clear about his feelings. Elizabeth was going to kill her foster father even if it meant going into the jail to see him and finding a way to over dose him on something. That part of her plan had flaws but she knew she would work them out eventually.
When he read the letter she held her breath to prevent herself from crying but despite it all her eyes filled with tears and some managed to escape. For the hours until 8 she stayed by the door not looking away from it in the hopes that her heart would not explode. When they arrived she did the only kindness she could to spare his job and lied about why she needed to leave. When asked the tears played in perfectly.
“I fell in love with him. This is not at all his fault I just think that if I stay here I could be a little pushy and put him in a bad situation.”

Before they walked in the house RJ looked at her.
“Again, I am sorry it turned out this way. I do really like you and care about you.” He said somberly.

He immediately told the captain and detective that this wouldn’t work. He handed his badge to the captain.
The Captain sighed, “You have never turned down or failed an assignment on the force. From what I know from my reliable sources…the same with the military. What is going on.” He asks RJ.

“I am done with your department. I need to move on. As far as Elizabeth…I can’t be responsible if something happens to her.” RJ responds somberly.

He sets his badge down.
“You are on vacation for now Ron. Let me talk to the girl.” The captain says.

RJ watches her leave with a lot of regret. After they leave he loads up with his sniper rifle and three handguns. He catches up to their car enough to see where they are taking her. He pulls off to the side of the road and gets out to find a position near the safe house. He was on high alert. Something was in his gut that it wasn’t safe for her. He knew two cops would be guarding round the clock but still...

________
Meanwhile….Alan “Iceman” Cromarti sees the police take his target and move her. He had been tracking her since he got a tip from the paint store. He was the 2nd cop there after RJ. This hit was worth 500G. He had his trunk open and looked at a sniper rifle and then his assault rifle that he changed to an automatic weapon. He would move tonight as the trial was coming up.

Elizabeth could feel her heart breaking as she held her knees to her chest in the back seat. The first person to ever reach out to her and she destroyed it all because she had to be right. The guards might have thought they could handle her but at this point she was not above violence. She would find an exit or make one. Lucky enough for her she found her hole in the system within a few shift changes from morning to noon and from noon until dusk and when dusk was ready for morning she had the rhythm.
She slipped into the cellar without the notice of the men and climbed again through a window tossing her bag out first. Then she ran as fast as she could and as soundlessly as possible. Any sniper would have seen her too bad the idiots inside were too busy underestimating her. She paused turning towards the direction of RJ’s home having easily memorized the way but despite the tears that said she wanted to go to him she turned and ran the opposite way.

RJ watched all day and finally he smiled a bit as he noticed Lizzie. She was coming up from the cellar. Unfortunately so did the “iceman”. He moved in on the two cops doing the baby sitting and put on his silencer.

RJ followed Lizzie’s movements and didn’t even notice the black pickup pull up on the other side of the house. The iceman quickly went inside and shot up the place. He disposed of both police officers efficiently before getting back in his truck and driving following along the direction he saw her run.

The iceman pulled over and got out taking his assault rifle this time.
“Enough running Elizabeth…it is time for me to collect my 500 thousand dollars.” The iceman says just 100 feet behind her.

RJ watched closely the entire time and when he saw truck he cocked his rifle. He was a sniper in the military and no more important target was ever in front of him as now he felt. He aimed with total concentration and shot the man’s head as he identified the man with a gun. He then pumped two bullets in the man’s chest. RJ got up and ran toward Lizzie.

The iceman had his finger on the trigger before it went black then he crumbled as the bullets flew into his torso. He fell to the ground instantly dead.

RJ dropped his rifle as he got to Lizzie. He hugged her tight.
“Are you okay? I am so sorry…This was the only way….I could protect you.” He said hugging her tightly. He walked her back to his vehicle until his captain showed up with reinforcements.

_________
“I got a call from the paint store clerk about another detective checking on Elizabeth. I had a gut feeling something wasn’t right.” RJ told his captain.

“He works or worked in homicide and we believe he is the famous iceman hitman.” He replied to RJ.

“I want Lizzie to return with me to my place till the trial is over.” RJ said not requesting.

‘Is that wise? I mean…” He replied to RJ.

“Yea it will be fine.” RJ said and went over to get her bags and stuff to put in the SUV.
_______
“I asked for you come back with me. If you are okay with that arrangement.” He said to her as he got back in the SUV.

Elizabeth buried her face in his chest when he hugged her but she did not cry. For someone who was nearly killed she was surprisingly calm. Once in the car she thought for a long moment realizing that he was taking her back, “You were out there the whole time waiting weren’t you?” She looked over at him a new appreciation of him coming to her.
“You knew I would get away. Those men died because of me, you should have just let that man shoot me.” She looked out the window the regret eating away at her, “They would never have died if I didn’t act like such a brat and my foster sister would have never died if I had just stayed and let them keep hurting me. God I am an evil horrible person.” A deep pain in her chest had her clutching at the center of her chest.

“You were out there the whole time waiting weren’t you?” She looked over at him.

“It was the only way to protect you at that point.” He replied while driving once she didn’t object to returning.

“You knew I would get away. Those men died because of me, you should have just let that man shoot me.” She looked out the window .

“No…you don’t get what happened Lizzie.” He said and pulled over.

“They would never have died if I didn’t act like such a brat and my foster sister would have never died if I had just stayed and let them keep hurting me. God I am an evil horrible person.” She said and he took her hands once at a stop.

“That man was a professional killer. He was also a cop. He was able to find where you were. He likely had been watching us before you ran last. If that didn’t happen he would have killed me then you.” He said somberly.

“I had nothing to flush him out. I could only wait to see if I was right. I had to keep you in my sight…I feel for those two but it couldn’t be avoided…he would have killed someone if not them maybe me or the captain or other cops. Its not your fault Lizzie…you again were brave and courageous.” He added and took a deep breath.

“Never say you should have stayed and let those monsters hurt you. You can’t control other people’s actions. What you can do is testify and they will get the electric chair as they deserve.” He says and pulls her in for a hug.

“I know the trial is in a few weeks but I have nowhere to go after that. I am underage but too much has happened for me to go back into the foster system.” She shut her eyes, “What am I going to do? RJ I am scared. I am so afraid of the future.”
She pulled her knees up to her chest despite being buckled in, “I just want to go home. Can we go home? I don’t want to think about the poor men or who else could have died. Especially not you.” She swallowed hard. Once they had started on their way gain she drifted into a very sound sleep. She had not slept and she had not eaten which for her were a deep sleep sort of combination she would likely not wake easily once at the house either.

“I know the trial is in a few weeks but I have nowhere to go after that. I am underage but too much has happened for me to go back into the foster system.” She shut her eyes,

He looks at her intentley.

“What am I going to do? RJ I am scared. I am so afraid of the future.”
She pulled her knees up to her chest despite being buckled in,

“You will be fine Lizzie.” He said in a whisper.

“I just want to go home. Can we go home? I don’t want to think about the poor men or who else could have died. Especially not you.” She swallowed hard.

He cleared his throat.
“Well I didn’t die. As far as I am concerned, you are welcome to stay in your room after the trial and beyond. For as long as you can stand me.” He said with small laugh.

She drifted off to sleep. He drove home. Once he got there he carried her in his arms inside. He took her to her bedroom laying her down gently and covered her. He then went back out and brought in her suitcase and all her bags.

He himself sat in the lazy boy recliner in the dark and contemplated the day. He eventually drifted off to sleep but not sure at what time. Was he actually good with what he was committing to? Becoming a small town sheriff or chief of police sounded pretty good in reality.

At sime point while he slept Elizabeth came down. When she spotted him asleep in the chair she went up the steps to retrieve a blanket. Knowing he was asleep she was brave enough to say the things she had been lacking in their conversations.
She tucked the blanket about him then pressed her lips very carefully to his trying not to wake him, “Thank you got coming back for me. The Armor may be dented but the rest is all there.” Her lips took his one more time before she settled on the floor by his feet under the parts of the covers that hung in access down him. She would have snuck into his room that night anyway if that was where he had been.
Her intention for wanting to sleep near him was based off od fear of being alone rather than sexual interest but she was still grateful to be with him and sage.

RJ comes awake and looks down on the floor. He sees Elizabeth. Yes he thought it was odd but she was an odd girl to begin with. He hopped out of the recliner and scooped her up in his arms but this time took her to his bedroom. He sat her down the bed gently. He pulled the covers over her and he himself laid on top of the covers on the other side.

He had a hunch she wanted to be near him due to the severe drama she had experienced lately. He didn’t want to do anything inappropriate or make it look inappropriate. He threw the cover used to cover to cover himself in his own bed.

When she came awake he smiled.
“We can skip the morning run if it is all the same to you Lizzie.” He said with a smirk.

Elizabeth gave a weak smile when she saw him. She scooted closer to him resting her face close to his to look closely at his eyes, “Thank you for saving me. I am also sorry about that letter. I was wrong about being left alone when the sunset came. I guess when night time fell in the stories the annoyed knight comes back for the spoiled brat.”

She hesitantly reached just the tip of her fingers to touch his face. When her hand left his face she gave him a slight nod, “Yes I would be ok with skipping the run. To be honest I feel so weak I don’t want to do much of anything.”

She was looking pale and under her eyes were dark circles where her skin was normally vibrant and beautiful. She looked ill and should one touch her a fever was obviously present.

She scooted closer to him resting her face close to his after he said something when she became awake.
“Thank you for saving me. I am also sorry about that letter. I was wrong about being left alone when the sunset came. I guess when night time fell in the stories the annoyed knight comes back for the spoiled brat.”

“I am no prince charming or knight Lizzie. I am your friend. I have no worries about a letter…I figure the both of us have a long road ahead in this friendship. We just need to take it day by day.” He replied with a slight smile.

She hesitantly reached just the tip of her fingers to touch his face. When her hand left his face she gave him a slight nod,
“Yes I would be ok with skipping the run. To be honest I feel so weak I don’t want to do much of anything.”

“Yes you don’t look so well. I think first of all you probably haven’t eaten.” He said feeling her forehead.

He felt her forehead and got up.
“I think I need to utilize my nurse skills today and get you up to par. Maybe a bowl of homemade chicken soup. Plenty of fluids and rest.” He added as he got out of bed. He covered back up.

He prepared to wait on her hand and foot to help her get feeling better.

Her hands were shaking slightly as she snuggled into his bed still and when she breathed she could smell the now familiar scent she recognized as his. He was kind when he wanted to be so she could hardly understand how someone would not be able to stand him. She took one of the pillows hugging it to her chest breathing it in. She had never had a smell that comforted her like this did, not even the scent of her paints.

She knew in that moment that while he was just her friend she was secretly falling in love with him. That was something she was sure he would have a problem with and she knew she had to keep it to herself. He was kind and he truly cared about her wellbeing. Once she was well enough she knew she was going to do something special for him. She had yet to know what but she would make it up to him.

Elizabeth shut her eyes still breathing in the pillow waiting for him to come back with whatever remedy he seemed to think would cute her ailments.

RJ fixed up a batch of homemade chicken noodle soup, a recipe from his great grandmother. He grabbed some juice and water along with crackers and lightly buttered toast.
“Okay…for starters lets try some soup. I have crackers. If that doesn’t appeal then you have at least toast but you need to eat. I brought some juice and water.” He said sitting the tray on the night stand next to her.

He sat on the bed next to her and handed her the soup and a spoon.
“My mother gave me my great grandmother’s recipe for chicken noodle soup. It isn’t world class Elizabeth but something to eat.” He said laughing softly. He handed her something to drink.

“You need to eat but rest as well. If there is anything you need? Ask no matter food, Kleenex or whatever.” He adds smiling.

He watches her for a bit and smiles.
"This might be a good story to tell my mother how I nursed my live in girlfriend back to health. She would be impressed that I can do something other than shoot a bad guy." He said smiling.

She took the spoon sipping broth from it daintily, “This is very good.” She said with a slight smile, “No one has ever done this for me before” While the smile was weak it showed her gratitude none the less. She ate what she could and then took the beverage he offered her drinking it slowly.
She was ready to ask for something but she didn’t know how well received it would be but she requested, “Will you stay here with me? I know you likely have a lot to do and it might be awkward but just…please stay with me.” She set the bowl down again hunkering down in the covers shutting her eyes. She still felt ill but it was like he said likely from not eating and she also assumed it was stress related. She knew she needed rest but she did not want to be alone.

Back
Top Bottom