Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hiding in plain sight **. Darling & Caspian **

Dorothy was busy sweeping trying to mind her own business and keep out of the way of the customer, not wanting to ruin her job on the very first twenty minutes of securing it. Although, the young girl couldn't hold down the absolute sheer joy she was harboring of finally having a chance to maybe crawl up from the dirty cutters. As she thought, Dorothy curiously pondered on how Simon was doing - yet, her thoughts were brought else where disrupted by the mention of his new apprentice.. Her head whipped up curiously, starting at Archer with wide blue eyes any then the rich looking customer, she adjusted her collar. Dorothy cleared her throat and looked lost in thought for only a moment before a warm smile crossed her lips, "Maybe something by Charles Dickens?" She paused to let the name set in, "He's a great children's book writer, I'd had the pleasure of reading Oliver Twist once, it was a great book." Even if it was wet, trashed and missing a couple pages.. "Hes done a couple good mysteries too that are worth looking at, if your son likes that kind of thing."

Dorothy smiled sweetly and awaited what they thought of her suggestion, feeling nervousness, the tubby man looked at her with curiosity. "Ah I've heard of Oliver Twist, tell me good man do you have it?" He said with a tap of his cane against the floor and a adjustment of his hat towering top hat. "I'll take a look at it and ponder over the young ladies suggestion, bring me a couple other of his books as well.. if you don't mind ol' Archer."

Ol' Archer was happy to see that Dorothy was familiar with some of the newer books in his catalog. Usually street-kids did not have much access to books. Even when they could read. Chances are some one had discarded a copy and she had picked it up. Dickens was quickly becoming an accomplished author and would be a good choice for a young man, if he was to be well versed in his letters as an adult. He nodded to the customer "As you wish sir..."

Yes, she would do nicely in his shoppe.

*************************************************************************************************

Ferdinand wandered the house, as was his wont late at night. Nights were the only time he was free to do as he pleased and not as the business was required. Soon he would have his freedom, but not soon enough. He sent for a glass of port and some coal for the fire. He sat down beside the fire, dreaming of a way out of the accursed house. He must have a chance to be a young man, and soon! But how? How indeed...

Back
Top Bottom