Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hiding in plain sight **. Darling & Caspian **

Ferdinand Valentine stood up out of his chair. He shooed out and closed the door on his relations and business partners. He wanted nothing to do with them. He had been stuck inside all day signing business orders, granting leases for his lands, signing over petitions for use of his shipping-lane rights and not once a day did he get an hour to himself. He hated his life. He never asked to inherit his father's empire of royal-granted special permissions and land titles. Sure they were lovely, but he was 15. Were his father still alive he wouldn't have to take care of the business. He couldn't hire someone else to do it, as stipulated in the will. He had to make all the decisions for the family business until he was 24, and 24 was nearly 3 years away.

So he sat.

He sat in his house, signing and bargaining and petitioning and tongue wagging with the people who were concerned with nothing other than money, either his or their own.

Ferdinand longed to get out, to be free. To chase his fortunes and his luck. His family had all the money they could ever want. Too much, in fact. They owned everything within sight! Houses, shops, land, naval shipping rights, mineral rights and everything else that was needed to keep England bustling and busy. Then there were the factories, the god-damned factories. Every one of his workers was filthy, sick and lice-ridden. He might as well employ lepers.

Ferdinand looked out over the lands from his office on the third floor of the family home and longed to be in the fields, running through the grass. His youth was slipping by at an alarming pace and no-one knew it but him. All the other young men he saw wanted to be full-grown men and the head of a household. Ferdinand just wanted to be himself.

Dorothy peered up at the tall, stone buildings to the rising chimneys that were busy pumping dust and ash into the air, the street around her bustling and loud. People screaming out sales for things, street urchins, like herself sneaking around the crowds of tall, busy adults to get they're fill to live. Out of stealing wallets, money, possessions, foods off crates and stands, anything to keep them afloat to see the next day ahead. One man, was busy boasting about fine silk that had been imported from far away lands, Dorothy had already stolen a plentiful of apples and a handbag that had been set on the ground for just a moment by some naive, silly woman while out on a shopping trip. She approached slowly, hiding under the cover of a couple woman and there ridiculously sized skirts, she happened to snag a white silken scarf that was dangling from the cart. stuffing it in her dress pocket before slowly stepping away from the scene of her crime. The cart keeper too busy taking to those fine young maidens to notice.

With that, the young girl dashed off, branching away from the main street, the more she continued the shadier and more broken down the area became surrounding her. Those bright blue eyes surging with excitement, a big smile on her lips. Messy white-blonde hair framed her equally pale face, her clothing was tore and tattered, wearing a long skirt, Victorian boots. A simple, tattered blouse on top, to keep her warm. All lucky finds on her part even if the cloth was faded and worn. She came down a long alley way, approaching a door at the end, sneaking in after looking around to make sure no one was in sight. Climbing up a staggering amount of stairs she heard foot steps scatter, "Hey, its me Dorothy!" She called out in her thick, lower class British accent. Another girl, with wildly curly red hair popped out to greet her, "Back early? What'cha got Dot?" She grinned at her friend, more children slipping out from sheets they hung up to section off this main entrance way. The whole building was full of stolen goods, just as many as it was full of children. Most teenagers, some ever younger that the older ones took upon themselves to protect. "I's got plenty of apples!" A small group was now forming in front of her, craving for a juicy bit of this fruit she'd mentioned, Dorothy giggled, although life was hard they had each other to count on. It was like a big family, "I've got a silk scarf we can sell." She pulled it out, showing it to her little friends, all just as scrubby and shambled as she. "Now we gotta cut 'dat apple and share it equally!" She turned her noise up to them and walked past the hanging sheet to approach the kitchen, it was a mess. Stolen pots and pans everywhere, she picked up a discarded knife, placing the bag she'd stolen from that lady earlier which contained a brand new dress, that, she would keep to herself. Cutting pieces off, she gave a piece to her red haired friend and the three other young-lings that had scurried out of the cracks of this big building to find the sustenance she'd brought.

Simon walked up to the building and clamored up the drainage pipe. The old pipes were far sturdier than the ladder and staircase labyrinth that crisscrossed the back alleyways. Someone was going to get killed up there on the ladders and stairs, but the pipes were solidly mounted into the brick. Simon was allowed to use the front entrance like the others, but preferred to keep his comings and goings unmarked. As an older member of the household he was required to do a bit more work and take a smaller cut in favour of the younglings. He didn't mind giving up more of his share, but he hated when people started bickering about specifics.

Simon slinked into the kitchen out of the shadows as the younglings compared the sizes of their apple slices. Simon didn't need any apples, he had his fill for the day. Simon was somewhat of a half-timer. He had a job working on the docks. He didn't need to steal as often, but when he did: needless to say it was very much worth stealing. He pulled a string of pearls out of the well mended trousers he had been wearing. It would feed the crew for a week.

"Nicked it from a crate." Simon grinned. "So who's up for some meat?"

Meat was a luxury they could rarely afford. Most of their food was vegetables and fruit, whatever fell off of carts or could be concealed easily. The very nature of butchered meat made it nearly impossible to steal discretely. He reached into his pocket and produced a packet wrapped in brown butcher paper. It was nearly 3 pounds of ground beef. The younglings all salivated at the mere suggestion of it.

"I think we're having beef stew tonight!" Simon proclaimed, making a small hero out of himself. He grinned broadly and winked at Dot. Dot was one of the main reasons he kept coming back. She was like him, eventually she would make her way out of the household, either as a wife or with a job. She wouldn't abandon the kids, no-one ever did. She would just slowly fade into the background like some of the household's other benefactors.

Dorothy spun around to see Simon, an apple slice in her mouth. "Waa! Simon, you outdid me!" She jabbed him in the side with her elbow playfully. "That's okay, you are a big working man now!~" She smiled up to him, Dorothy wanted to follow in suit, she mostly stole what she got for the household. She was rather seasoned at it, either way, she'd been here for longer then she could remember.

She clapped her hands together, looking at the three younglings "Okay guys, go and play and I'll call you back when dinners ready? Okay?" She couldn't help but mother then, since they had no figure to care for them and make sure they were okay. Just like she didn't. So, she'd try her best to give them some kind of security. They giggled excitedly and ran off back into the labyrinth of the hideout. The redhaired girl, Eliza following them, trying to catch them and laughing as they screamed playfully.

Dorothy turned to Simon, waiting till they were alone to show him this, "I was thinking of apply for a job at a bookstore, its one of the only places I haven't stolen from." She giggled, pulling the bag down and showing him what was inside, "I snagged a dress!" She pulled it out, it had a large shirt and a high neckline, a classic simple Victorian style dress it held a sense of maturity to Dorothy. She'd always worn rags. It was a deep blue color that seemed to already accent her eyes when she held it up against herself. "Do you think they might hire me with this? Then maybe, I can be just as successful as you!" She smiled up to him with hope.

Simon smiled at the enthusiasm Dorothy showed at both the new dress and the getting a job at a bookstore. There wasn't much for these children to look forward to. Most of their joy came from the items they were able to pilfer in the streets and meal-times. Sometimes someone would get something new. If they could avoid the jealously of the other members of the household, they would usually be elated. A new dress for one of the girls was always a big deal, but it was even a bigger deal for Dot. Especially now that she was thinking of getting a job. A job meant operating in society and that meant opportunity. No-one wanted to talk to a street-kid. They were viewed with scorn and disdain. Getting a job for the girls was always a problem. They had to look the part and a new dress would make Dorothy's life that much easier.

"I think that's a great idea Dot! I think you could make yourself some money and maybe even find yourself a husband, a pretty girl like you!" Simon's eyebrows jumped up and down playfully. "A bookstore eh?" Simon pondered. Not many girls knew how to read, let alone street-girls. "You know, I think if you can prove you can read and you can talk to a shop owner... you'll have a good chance! So how about we cook up that meat? Do we still have potatoes?"

As they began to cook Simon thought about his own job. As a porter allowed him access into many homes in the area, but it meant he had to be very selective about when and if he stole for the house. Now he had something to lose. He was excited to head to the "big house" tomorrow. He couldn't steal anything, being his first time there, but he could certainly snoop around the place. He was excited to see the inside of Baron Valentine's house, the rarities and treasures in there must be fantastic indeed. Who knows what kind of niceties could be found if he could get in there regularly.

Simon knew the difference between the well-to-do and the ridiculously rich. The well-to-do were always the hardest to work with. The well-to-do knew they were lucky and knew that things could come down around their heads at any moment. They knew every item in the house and what it was worth. Rich people like the Valentines, they didn't care. It was just something they had. Unless it was a family heirloom or something with sentimental value there was no real interest in counting silverware or silk scarves.

Simon told Dorothy about the job at the Valentine manor. He was visibly excited. "I am curious to see what goes on up there as well. We will be transporting barrels of wine and beer for the winter supply. It should be a 2 day job, but there will be regular work coming and going to the manor over the winter. Perhaps we should see if we can get one of the other girls a job there as a maid? It'd be good to have someone on the inside. Either way, when will this stew be ready?" Simon could smell the cooked meat and his mouth was watering.

Scoffing at him she folded the dress back up before gently setting it back into the bag, "A husband! I've practically already got kids! I don't need a man to take care of on top of that!" She said jokingly, yet, in these times a girl wouldn't go too far without a husband. It saddened Dorothy to think that if she wanted the easy life she'd have to entice some stuck up, possibly perverse jerk to take interest in her. Then, on top of that, live a false life with no love! If Dorothy was going to get married it would be for love, not for profit on her part.

She nodded to Simon, reading was something she loved, they had some old ratty books around that she'd read over and over. One of the older children when she was little had taught her the best he knew how, then, she carried on by herself learning all she could. It wasn't like Dorothy was complete educated and versed in every punctuation word and syllable but she wasn't illiterate like most street kids. "Its the only thing I have under my belt, so, might as well use it!" She chimed happily, nodding, "Yes, in the shelf right there." She watched Simon cook the meat and potato's together, smiling up to him as he told her about his current job. "That's amazing! Suzie could do it, maybe, I'd have to steal another dress for her." Dorothy said teasingly, referring to the girl with the crazy red hair.

"Two days! Huh, well, I wish you luck! Don't get too adventurous with your plight, Simon, I don't know what would happen if we didn't have you around!" Dorothy absolutely adored Simon, he worked so hard to pry himself from the cold grip of poverty. She admired him and wished the follow the same route, in truth, Dorothy wouldn't mind if he ever asked her to marry him. It almost already felt like that, how they came back to provide for the younglings and were standing beside the stove cooking for the 'family', talking about there careers.

Dorothy shoved those thoughts awkwardly out of her head, sometimes she could be such a girl. That happy life in a cozy little cottage with a loving family wouldn't come easily, she'd have to work blood sweat and tears to make her dreams come true. "I think its almost about done, give it a taste why don't you?" She said, pushing against him to get a look into the pot as well. The smell was heavenly. She went over and reached up to one of the shelves, taking out mismatched plates and bowls. "Once the smell wafts through the nooks and cranny's they'll all come out to play again." Dorothy giggled.

Simon's stomach rumbled as the smell of the beef stew wafted into the room. He could smell the savoury beef mixed with whatever vegetables were on hand. The meat melted on his tongue in a delicious, savoury gravy. It was delicious.

As soon as the lid came off of the pot they could hear the shuffle of feet outside the door. Clearly there were hungry mouths and excited noses just on the other side of the door. Simon grinned as they could hear the children trying desperately to be as quiet as possible. As Simon walked over to Dorothy to taste the meal someone behind the door said "I think he's going to kiss her!" in a harsh whisper. The kids all let out a simultaneous "EEWWWWW!!" and their cover was blown. Simon opened the door with a laugh and let the children in.

The meal was delicious, the meat was tender and as fresh as it could be. The children all supped happily at the rare beef stew treat. Their eyes wide with the smell of meat and the enjoyment of something rare. They always had enough food, but most of it was gruel or cabbage that was donated by some of the more generous souls in the market. The children would beg and the older ones would steal, that's how it worked. Meat was expensive though, and if they were given a package of meat it was usually tough old mutton from a sheep they could no longer shear for its wool.

He was happy he had pilfered such a package, though it was riskier than he normally went for. A porter with a reputation for theft didn't last very long. Almost everyone who was a porter stole, but if someone had a reputation... as soon as something went missing that person was usually blamed for everything. Every time someone was fired for theft all the previous thefts that came to light would be blamed on that person as well.

Simon wasn't going to steal on his first trip to the manor. There were too many servants around, he was going to inspect the location and maybe mark a few potential ways in and out as well as a few targets like where they kept the silverware and the niceties. Perhaps he might find a way to bring a little chocolate back to the community. That would REALLY make the children's eyes bug out.

"You know Dot, I think you'll make someone a wonderful wife, on day..." Simon smiled. "I hope you get the job at the bookshop. Maybe one day you'll teach me how to write better."

Dorothy let out a surprised 'pfft' as the kids whispered, hearing a long EW coming from the door, she started laughing as he let them in, she savored the yummy, tender meat on her tongue. It was the best thing she'd ever tasted! Simon really did need a kiss for bringing this, she thought jokingly. Helping some of the smaller children dish out some stew for themselves. After they were all fed, standing or sitting on the floor as they ate, Suzie coming by to get a bowl too, Dorothy turned to dish out some stew for herself, taking another happy taste of it, as Simon praised her again she grinned, "Any time Simon, you aren't that bad to begin with!" She said, referring to his writing, she picked up the bag with her new dress in it, about to leave the room. Dorothy turned, leaning up to peck a very light kiss on his cheek. Pulling back with a devious grin, knowing the children would oo and aa in disgust at that. Which they did in under three seconds, "Ahhh! She kissed him! Ewww!" chimed through the room, Dorothy tilted her head playfully, "That's for sticking your neck out just get us something amazing and the sweet compliments!"

With Suzie practically cackling in the back ground as all the children continued to go on in displeasure about what they just saw, Dorothy moved to another room. Walking past a little hallway, entering a small bedroom, it had a cracked mirror in it, it was still standing, a big rift in the mid section of it. She peered at her raggy form, how could she ever make a good wife? Looking like this. Dorothy finished her stew, giggling back to what she just did, she took the soap out of one of her pockets. Feeling a bit bad, she snagged it from a family who seemed to be saving it. Already half used, it would still do the trick. Soap was rare, now she just had to get enough water at least to wash her hair and face.. She sat on the floor of the dusty bedroom filled with things. It was her bedroom, she'd claimed it as one of the older children here, Dorothy often sat to think in her room. After finishing her stew lay back against her wall, letting out a sigh. That was the best meal she'd had in a while.

Simon beamed with delight from the kiss, but only once the children were out of sight. His feet felt lighter, as though he could walk on a blade of grass. Whatever price he could have paid for the beef, it had become worth it. Simon went to his own room, a closet in the basement and gathered up some of the nicer clothes he had. He didn't have much, but he gathered up the best that he had for the next day. He didn't want to look like a street-kid, even though that's exactly what he was. He set them aside and went for a walk about.

He passed the people in the streets and stopped and talked with some of the other street kids while they were out. He never ran with the pack of older street kids. They were responsible for some horrible acts. A few accidental murders and possibly one or two purposeful ones. This wasn't Simon's taste, it was why he had a job and why he was going to get out of the vicious cycle of street-life. Maybe he might find a way to take Dorothy with him. Simon grinned at some of the stories and a few bragging about some of the stuff they had nicked over the last week. One of the boys had a broken nose and a black eye after a run in with a constable.

Simon went about his evening. He even found a few copper coins rolling around the streets. He picked them up. Anything he found went straight to the household coffers. That would be enough to buy a few loaves of bread and maybe some butter too. He headed home and began his routine climb of the pipes and downspouts. He crawled onto his mattress of old straw and canvas and went into a dreamless sleep.

She'd take a trip by the bay, the water wasn't the cleanest but it was her last option. Dorothy just hoped she wouldn't get sick from doing this, street kids didn't have much of a chance with a worse enough cold. She lathered up the soap with the discolored water of the bay, running it through her dry, dirty hair. Her hands taking a cup full of water and washing it out with care. After a couple times of doing this, Dorothy ran back, some giving her an odd look. Maybe she looked like a wet rat of a little street urchin. But she didn't care. After slipping back into they're hide out carefully, she made her way up to her room. Entering it, she took a look in the mirror. Even if that water was gross, her hair seemed even lighter; if that was possible. A bleach blonde naturally.
Dorothy stared absently at the scrap of soap in her palm before snuggling up on her hand-made bed of cloth and any soft items she could find. Cuddling up against it and drifting off into a sweet sleep, wishfully dreaming of getting that job and never having to starve again.

--

Dorothy was jetting around her room, she'd woken up early and determined to make an impression. She tugged back her shoulder length light blond hair into a bun, some rebellious sprigs of hair staying out, surrounding her young clean (for a change) face. Wiping her hand across the skirt of the dark blue dress, she didn't look half bad! The color really did bring out her wide blue eyes, contrasting against her fair skin. It hugged rather tightly at her shapely chest and small waist, it had a completely modest collar neckline, buttons lining down the front, fanning out into a bell shirt that reached her feet. Dorothy was just glad it fit. She'd spit polished her old shoes as best she could, peering at herself in the half broken mirror she'd propped up on the wall, "I can do this!" Dorothy said with a look of determination on her face, her mind started to cruelly play worse case scenarios over and over. Did she really look like a normal girl? Not a slimy little gutter child? Dorothy nervously left her room, the halls were barren, everyone was most likely about stealing or begging for the meal they'd have today. She wondered in Simon was still here, knocking on his bedroom door she waited for a moment. "Simon..Can I talk to you?"

((Even found an old-style reference for Dorothy's dress on the right! x3 Bluedress))

Simon stirred, hearing Dot enter the room. He shuffled about in his bed of canvas and straw, rustling the straw underneath. The straw was starting to rustle less - indicating that it was nearly time to change it out. He hated changing the straw in his bed, since it was so abrasive for the two days after. That didn't matter at the moment though, as he got up and welcomed Dorothy in. The room was small, only 6 feet by 6 feet, to small to be anything other than an abandoned cupboard, but it was his own room and it had a door. He was far better off than most of the people in the household.

He smiled broadly as he took a look at Dorothy. She looked clean, very clean. Her hair was nowhere near as disheveled as it normally was, curls going in so many different directions. Her pale face was pale, not a smudge of dirt to be seen. Her blue eyes were radiating along with the beautiful, clean blue dress. She looked stunning. Even better than looking stunning though, was her smell. She smelled fresh and clean. Something most of the children in the household only got to feel once a year, if they were lucky.

"You look as though you have just come in off of the streets from school Dot! You look amazing!" Simon said, with great enthusiasm. "I've never seen you look so pretty, or smell so good!" Simon breathed in deeply and sighed. "I can't believe that is the you that has been hiding in here this whole time. You could pass in the street for one of them any day!"

His reaction was one she was hoping for, Simon was a sweet guy but she knew he wouldn't lie to her. Dorothy smiled at his comments, "Good! That's what I was going for!" She said, her hands clasped in fist and a look of determination glowing in her blue eyes. "Haha, well, amazing things can happen when a girl actually tries.." she pouted, "The only thing is, if I get this job I'll have to keep this up all the time..I'll have money to do that I guess.." she pondered about that little issue. It felt weird, to be honest, being clean and all dressed up. Almost like she was going to play 'normal' for a little while, if Simon was right then no one should realize that she's a street kid, what an odd feeling that would me.

"I was just a bit worried, so I came to talk to you!" she giggled, "You always cheer me up!" Dorothy beamed, she took his hand, holding it firmly, she was shaking. "Wish me luck okay? I'm pretty nervous! I really want to help the household!" She let out a steadying breath, "I'm going soon and I feel like I'm about to pass out!" Dorothy wasn't usually a nervous person, she was more bold, more confident. "Phew, okay sorry! I've never had a job before..I don't know what to expect."

"I know you'll be fine Dot." Simon smiled. He knew she had the smarts for the job. She had survived and helped many of the others in the household survive as well. Plus, having cleaned herself she was making better headway than many of the street kids of London. "You look and smell fantastic. I think I am going to have to steal some soap and make a household rule that everyone bathes at least once a week. You smell like fresh strawberries, or even better!"

Simon was happy to cheer Dot up. Cheer was something that really wasn't a big part of their life in the house. The one thing that everyone had in here was nothing, so when there was the opportunity to have anything, that something usually became everything. A couple more older kids like Simon, Dot and Eilza and this place would become even better. They stuck together to stay out of the orphanages and the gutters, it wasn't a family, but it wasn't far off.

"As for me, Dot, I have to get going later tonight for the Manor. I will be back in two days. I found a few coppers out in the streets last night. Use these for food."

He handed over 8 wrapped copper coins in a small patch of cloth. The cloth was to keep the coins from jingling, a trick he learned living on the streets.

Simon smiled at Dot. Perhaps one day the two of them would run off and make a real family, one of their own.

She let out a soft sigh, his comforting words helping to steady her a bit. She could do this! Laughing as he mentioned making having baths a weekly thing, "Just try catching some of those little wiggliers, I tell ya." She said playfully. She grinned, "Better then strawberries?! I better get hired!" Dorothy let out with another laugh, Simon always put her in a good mood. Bless him for being here right now. She paused, "Oh! Ask Eliza about posing as a maid with you, I'm sure she'd love a job!" Dot told him with exuberance, pausing as he began to explain about him leaving the some money he found, she was about to congratulate him until he handed it to her.

Dorothy gave him the most surprised look, "You're so sweet I could kiss you again!" She giggled, this would help a lot for the younglings herself and Eliza while he was gone. He could have just taken it for himself, "But..Will you be okay without any money? Do they feed you?" She inquired worried, her big blues staring up to him. She had to get going soon, but this was important, "Look, how about you keep four and I keep four. Okay?" She said handing him back four coins. "I can get more food, don't worry. I just want you to be safe too." She said to him, patting the side of his arm. "Well, before you protest, I'm off. Thanks for the rays, sunshine!" Dorothy laughed, practically running out the door.

Simon smiled and put the 4 pennies into the cloth wrapper and back into his pocket. He watched Dot as she waltzed out of the room and into the gray/orange light of the London morning. He looked around and remembered Eliza. His head swimming with ideas. If we could get someone working in there we could get soap, linens, maybe fabric for new clothes. We'd be the best set-up household in London! We could maintain a life here without interference from all the old people and child-beating factories! Those were just some of the thoughts running through Simon's head.

Simon went about the halls of the household. The old abandoned building was something of a maze. He had no idea how Eliza and Dot were able to keep track of all the kids that lived here. In all there were about 20 children of various ages living here. Most of the kids older than 12 or 13 would eventually leave for jobs in factories or live with street gangs. The household wasn't a gang, but since so many kids came and went from the household they were still helped out by the street kids from time to time. Simon hoped that the household's possible new success didn't cause problems in the future.

He spotted Eliza amidst 5 or 6 of the youngest of the younglings. They were about 5 or 6 years old, playing whatever games they could that didn't break things or cause a ruckus. The children were always much quieter and more respectful than regular children. They had to be, since they had no-one. Eliza and Dot cared very well for them, considering their meager resources. Simon took two of the coppers and separated them. Eliza could probably use a couple as well. Even if it was just to buy the younglings something special later. Or perhaps buy herself some soap so she could find a job the same way Dot was trying.

He found Eliza in the hall. "Oi! Eliza! Have you got a moment? I want to talk to you about an idea I've got!"

Eliza was gigging with the little kids, one grabbing and pulling at her dress she gave him a pout and was about to reach down to tickle him when Simon ran up. "'Aye Simon, whats up?" She asked curiously, her crazy red curls framing her pale face, sparkling green eyes peering up to him, a left over luster from playing and having fun with the little ones. Straightening up, some of the young kids walked over to him, hugging his leg and trying to get his attention with cute little smiles up to him. Eliza laughed.

Dorothy ran through the beaten, grimy back streets of London there hideout was hidden by, eventually hitting the main streets, where the middle class and slightly wealthy mostly dominated the streets and - for the first time in her life - she felt like she belonged. No one stared or looked at her in disgust, it was a wonderful feeling. She continued to dash down the street in anticipation, she had to convince the book shop owner that she was a good kid that he or she should hire!

((Sorry it took so long! Dx Do you want to play the shop owner as well? =D If not, that's okay.))

((Sure, I can do that. ;) ))

The old bookkeeper rummaged through the stacks of old books that had been brought to him. Dealing in books was lucrative, but it took a long, long time to acquire enough so as to have decent turnover. It also meant buying books from a variety of sources. Some of those sources were not very reliable or known for bringing in the best books available. Some of them were in poor disrepair, others were stolen with name-plates still inside the covers. (He never accepted anything he knew to be downright stolen and never would.) Some of the books would get him in trouble with the local churches and others would get him in trouble with the constables. It was a very tricky balance. Other times he was asked to procure certain books for certain collectors. Lately there were some request for very risque and ribald books that had been requested. "Such strange times" old Archer Noseworthy thought to himself.

He had just finished putting away the dust tomes of some of the older books into the shelving. He wiped down the leather with an ever-so-slightly damp cloth, removing any dust on the books or on the shelves. The pile of books on his desk growing, as though the paper were trying to re-form itself into a tree. He watched as a young lady walked into the bookshop. That of itself was a rarity, not many girls could read. "Hello young lady, can I help you find anything or are you here to pick up something for someone?"

Dorothy ended the shop with a beaming, friendly smile on her unusually clean face. "Hello Sir!" she said back in the most polite and warming tone, walking up to the counter where was was cleaning his books. She took a deep breath steadying herself before asking this question, "Actually.." she trailed off, peering up to him, "I want to inquire about a job." Dorothy had a look of polite determination, wanting to wind the old man over. She had too, it was for the sake of her future.

"I love books! I read anytime I can, its my dream to work here!" She let out further, surely the mere mention of her even reading books would throw him a bit off kilter. Most young ladies couldn't read or write, it was a very valuable skill that people who were rich were more lucky to have. It was a gift Dorothy cherished very dearly, one thing that made her a step ahead, to climb out of the filth of poverty and hopefully help others to do the same. Dorothy's smile remained on her face, "So, if you need any help or are in need of another couple hands to help you dust the books, I'd be more then ready. Please sir." She bowed to him in the most curious way possibly, sending off her infectious charm in bucket loads. It was certainly clear that she had a rather odd, strong desire to work for him.

Archer had seen a number of things in his days. He had seen the Kama Sutra when it came to England from India, he had books that could have had him hanged by the neck for even knowing they existed. He had gotten books for nobles that would have had them the laughing stock of England, and yet he had never seen a girl come in off the street asking for a job as a merchant's assistant. He blinked, shook his head and blinked again.

Times were tough, even for one of the most notable booksellers in England. He had no need of an assistant. No need for anything, really. He lived in the apartment above his shop and he spent his daylight hours in his shop, his evenings upstairs. He was about to say no, but he considered that he didn't have anything other than the shop or the apartment. He had no heir and no partners. She was trying desperately to fit in. She was the cleanest street kid he had seen in his entire life. She genuinely needed the opportunity and old Archer Noseworthy could use the company.

"Very well, child. I don't usually take in street kids. You'll be my first assistant in 10 years. Please, don't worry about me knowing where you come from. I am sure you can take care of yourself. You can work for me. You will help with cataloging, cleaning and you will help clean my apartment upstairs. If you ever steal from me, you'll be fired. If you ever steal from one of my customers - you'll be fired. If you ever help someone else steal from me or my customers - you'll be fired. I'll pay you 1 pound Sterling a day. You may, if you wish, use my Bath after-hours. You'll work 4 days a week, Tuesday to Friday. We are closed Saturday and Sunday and Monday is reserved for 'special buyers' " Archer gave the girl a serious look. He knew she would keep her end of the bargain, at least for a while. He sat wondering while where she learned to read, but shook his head at himself. All in good time, he told himself. "So, what do you think?"

Keeping her hope ups up but couldn't help but feel a bit worried as he pondered her proposal, yet as he began to speak she felt a sudden realization of victory! She'd gotten a step further! Although, caught a bit off guard by him knowing she was a street kid yet not caring..Genuinely just glad she had a chance at all. "That sounds great Sir, Thank you so much!" She said with a hint of excitement, although retaining composure and politeness, even though she was raring to get a job going and accumulating more money. Dorothy was honestly interested in books, she was sure there was much more to learn and he looked like a very good teacher about the subject.

Practically in a manner of seconds she'd been offered a steady job, an actual salary and even a place to take baths so she could keep up looking clean, tidy and presentable. He couldn't possibly know how much this meant to her really, Dorothy was so happy and excited. Life had to start turning around from here! She let another smile cross her lips, "I can start immediately!" she said showing she was up for the challenge and willing to give her all at becoming a success at this job. Dorothy wouldn't ever think about stealing something from his house or shop, unable to stand even the smallest chance of ruining what she now had to loose. Although it was her nature to be on the take, considering the rough horrible years as a street kid. This was the one place where she could re-mold herself, into someone normal not poverty stricken and desperate. Not that she really was in horrible condition. They had more food to eat lately, Simon had a job and Eliza might get one as well; things were looking up. Now being accepted to work as his apprentice was the grand cherry on the top of the day!

The old man could see the excitement in the young lady's eye. Youthful exuberance was something that his store seldom saw. Perhaps it was time for a new generation to take a passionate interest in books. She would begin with the easy stuff, all the manual labour of cleaning, dusting, stacking and caring for the store. Slowly he would train her in the care of the actual books themselves, how to clean them and how to catalog them - all in due time.

"We'll have you start by sweeping the floors. There's a broom over here in this closet and then we'll see how you do from here."

The old man had no doubt the girl would have a fantastic work ethic. He'd keep a watchful eye on her for the time being, but he was certain that she would turn out a good worker if she wasn't convinced to do something otherwise by someone else.

***********************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, Simon stomped around playfully with the youngling's hanging onto his legs as though they were a ladder for climbing. He waved them around in the air with his strong legs and they shrieked with laughter as he stepped about. After a moment or two he let them down and spoke with Eliza.

"Look 'ere... I got this job up at the Manor. I am thinkin' you should go up there and see if you can get a job workin' with the staff. Maybe a maid or something. They're always lookin' for new help and they pay well. 8 quid a week, from what I've been told. If you, me and Dot all put our money together we could get a house. With doors and beds and the like." Simon paused to let the idea of sleeping something not infested with insects or prickles sink in. "Plus, you'd be able to keep an eye on where all the good stuff is. If we nick a few things here and there it won't be so bad. Especially if it's never you that does the nickin'. You'd just tell us where the good stuff is and we can do all the work. You'd be practically innocent!"

Eliza laughed as she watched Simon flail around with the kids on his toes, swinging playfully at his sides and with the motions of his legs. No doubt, they sure did get a lot of practice in baby sitting. Her bright green eyes peered back up to Simon, listening to him attentively, her mouth curling and shifting as she pondered over the situation and offer he'd just laid out. If she, Simon and Dorothy all had jobs, well, hell they'd be living the good life for a handful of street kids.

Eliza raised her hand to her chin, nodding softly to herself. "I'll do it, aye house with normal beds..Somewerr not filth'eh? Ye put up a mighty good offer." She said in her thick Scottish accent. Pulling some fire red hair from her face, grinning a tad.

She leaned down and scooped up one of the little girls in rags and tattered clothing, she wiggled about like a little imp. "Ye leaving latter today?" she mused to herself, "Jus' how far is place?" It seemed Eliza was already up for the idea, she was just as equally sick of this life as Dorothy and Simon. The problem was she'd need to clean up and look presentable, that costs money. The little wiggling piglet finally broke free from her arms, dashing off down the hall, the other two young-lings running after while yelling and screaming like monkeys. "AYE, keep it down ya little imps!" she called after then, turning her freckled face to Simon. "I'd be up for it, Simon, just tell me where to go n' I'm there."

((I AM SO SORRY! I thought I replied. D; *facepalm*))

(( No worries! I've got all the time in the world :) ))

Simon wasn't certain where they'd get the means to clean Eliza up, but they'd find a way. Simon directed her to the manor 14 miles outside of town up on the hill. It was a day's walk, but he was certain Eliza could make it. Eliza and Dot would have to make arrangements to look after the kids, and there were a couple older ones who were coming up and ready for some new responsibility.

Simon smiled: "Be there in a week. I gave some copper to Dot as well, perhaps the two of you will have enough coin for some soap and some cloth to make you a dress. If you could nick one, that'd be just as good as buyin' one." Simon wondered if the younglings would be manageable for new caretakers. Hopefully. Hopefully.

"Well, I am off 'Liza. I'll send word as fast as I can. If I can make it back for a night or two I will, but no promises."

Simon gave her a quick peck on the cheek and grinned "See you in a week love!"

With that he dashed off towards the Manor.

***************************************************************************************************

Ferdinand wandered around the house, looking for something to do other than attend to business. A small purse sat on his desk. It was the rent collected for his properties on the outskirts of town. It was enough to pay his household staff for a year, but it didn't interest him. He wanted to be out, enjoying life. He couldn't abandon the family business, and no-one would allow him to pass off the care of it to another until he was 24. His youth was burning like a newspaper on a fire. Soon he would be old and withered, soon he would have nothing but his business. He searched for a way out in his mind, just for a month - nay, two months!

With her arms lightly crossed against her chest she listened to Simon intently, she could do it. Times were tough, it wasn't like they weren't used to a bit of hard, soul crushing work to get what you wanted. She gave a winning smile, looking down to her hand to the copper pieces he offered. She grinned more, this would be a great opportunity for her. " N' 'll be there Simon!" She let out excitedly, smiling at the kiss, she waved to him. "G' Luck!" Eliza called after him, praying that he'd be alright, that they could all pull this off. Vaguely wondering how Dorothy was doing, if she got a dress and got cleaned up, Eliza still hadn't heard anything from her yet.

---

Dorothy was busy cleaning the shop, sweeping eagerly at the store floor. Cleaning every nook and cranny with the best of her ability, some customers had come in, older gentlemen. Giving her a curious look, the girl paused for only a second, simply staying out of the way. Not wanting to cause any trouble for herself, after all, as sad as it might be girls weren't equal. You were to be silent in front of men, specially a younger girl like her. Specially a street kid. In society she was scum compared to them, that really ticked her off, regardless. The fatter man in a suit and a top hat perched on his head approached the front counter, "Archer, you've taken an apprentice? Or is that a granddaughter?" he asked in a very uptight high class British tone, gazing at Dorothy curiously. She tensed nervously but continued sweeping, "Hm, either way, my good chap. I'm looking for a book for my son, something intriguing to get his blood boiling. Maybe a good mystery or adventure." He continued, beady eyes slightly shifting to Dorothy all the while. She bent over with the dust pant, gathering all the dust and dirt people walked in from outside.

Archer knew just the book. He wandered over to the novels. There were some fascinating books that were being produced about the new world. There were savages and hero's and swamps and deserts and poisonous snakes - everything that would get a young-man's fancy. There were even a couple bookplates inside, showing details of the jungles of the new world. There was even a picture of a savage-woman, nude. That'd get any boy's attention. Before grabbing the book, he paused.

"This would be a good time to show my apprentice something. Perhaps we shall see what she has to say?" Archer mused.

"Dorothy, get on over here and help me with this customer. He wants a book for his son. Something exciting with plenty of adventure and danger. What would YOU recommend?"

*******************************************************************************************************

Simon departed for the manor. It was a day's walk, but that wasn't much for Simon. He could walk all day, in fact he spent nearly every day walking. It was important to keep moving and to find opportunities before the other street kids could get to them. Competition made for very fit street children.

Simon passed through London, occasionally sneaking onto the back of a carriage when the opportunity arose. The weather was just right. It wasn't wet, but it wasn't so hot that he would be uncomfortable walking. He finally arrived at the manor an hour before sunset. He checked in with the porter-master and was assigned his duty for the next few days. He was to be moving all the barrels of provender for the winter into the house and emptying it of the old barrels.

Simon made his way over to the servants quarters, pleased to be sleeping on a bed for the first time since his parents died. He curled up onto the mattress and ate one of the apples he took with him from Dot. He thought of her in passing for a moment before curling up and sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom