Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Long Overdue (Loveme & Rivine)

Rivine

Supernova
Jericho sat on the rock overlooking Kettle Run, a creek he had gone down to more times he could remember, the rock he was on was aptly named Pot Rock, not because of the drug, but because it looked like an overturned cooking pot, or it was supposed to. This had been his getaway since he was young. This place was perfect, right between his house and Bella's, his best friend, and had been their meeting place since they were kids.

As he sat there, listening to the creek, he thought back on how much had changed since they had first met well over a decade ago. His father had had a stable job then and they had had an actual house. But when his dad's hand had been crushed in a work accident when Jericho was thirteen, things went downhill quickly. When he was fifteen his mom had left and his dad had to sell their house. They had moved to a trailer a few lots down from their old house.

As he reflected on things, he began to realize how much worse things could have been if Bella had not stuck with him. She had been the one to slap some sense into him, literally, when he started getting into drugs freshman year. She had been the only person to go to every one of his football games, even made her own jersey with his number on it. She had been the light in the darkness, she was the one he could go off with to escape his drunken father. And now he was about to leave it all, to leave her...

Heaving a sigh Jericho looked around, wondering where she was at. It was November in the hills of Tennessee, not exactly the coldest time of year, but far colder then he was dressed for. He was wearing old jeans, beat up sneakers, a t-shirt and the newest piece of clothing he owned, a zip up hoodie that Bella had gotten him last Christmas. He had cropped his hair shorter a month ago, when he had gotten word from the recruiter that he was in, and she had been a little irked with him. She had always liked his curls. Looking around his eyes settled on his old car, a beat up 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass he had kept alive for the last few years. More then likely it would need ot be push started, as it needed to basically all the time, and it was far easier when she was here to start it while he pushed, rather then doing both himself.

Where was that girl?

Bella had been sure to dress warm. A pair of jeans, her black hoodie and her brown boots that come to her knees. She didn't like the cold, but it wasn't even as cold as it would get yet. Her mind was racing her what he wanted with her. But she would find out soon, crossing her arms as she walked up on the path. Stopping as she seen Jericho already waiting for her. Her best friend... They Had been there for each other for a very long time.

Bella was there for him when his mother left, when his father become a drunk and at all his games. Always cheering him on. He had been there for her, when her parents had divorced, when she hadn't made student council. All those times they were both their for each other. But now, he had been acting strange.

He knew how much she liked his curls, and he had cut them off. It wasn't like he had become ugly, but she liked his curls... But they were no more. Bella shook her head as she walked up behind him. Clearing her mind of all the past memories. Bella, had fallen for Jericho their senior year of high school... But she had kept it to herself.

Jericho heard her approaching and slowly spun around. He smiled as he saw her, dressed sensibly of course. She had always been the one to worry about such things. He slid off the rock and onto the ground, then reached up and grabbed the plastic bag that had the little surprise he had gotten for her.

"Hey Bells, how are you?" He asked, smiling a little bit. He offered her the bag then, still smiling, "I found these at the store earlier today and they reminded me of when you used to bring boxes of them up here."

Once she took it he slipped his hands into the pockets of his hoodie, trying to stay warm. He looked down at the ground for a bit, kicking at the dirt with his feet. He had never felt like this around Bella, awkward. Finally he sighed and looked up to her, speaking quietly, "We need to talk."

Laughing at what he had on, she shook her head. "I should of known, that you wouldn't dress to stay warm. You never did and never will." Her hands were interlaced in her hoodie pocket, but as he extended the bag to her, she smiled and with drew her hands. Taking the bag from him, she set down on one of the rocks that overlooked the creak. Almost frozen now. Opening the bag, she smiled widely. "Jericho! My favorite!" She hugged him tightly and withdrew her hands as they wrapped back up in the pocket. The cold hitting them for far to long as it was.

"How did you get them this early? They usually don't come out till mid December or so." She frowned, as she started to notice his awkardeness towards her. "I use to bring boxes at a time up here and you would bring the drinks. We would stay till all hours of the night just eating peeps." Laughing softly, she felt her smile fade away as he spoke.

Those four words were never good in simeones eyes. No matter if you were dating or not. When she turned away, she shook her head. "What isnit Jericho? Your scaring me. You know I hate hearing those four words." She turned back to face him, her eyes looking straight into his. At that moment, get thoughts fluttered to what she would do if they ever parted ways. She didn't want to think about that, they had always been there for each other and she wanted it to stay that way.

Jericho chuckled, but just a little, and shrugged, "Well you know me... haven't made the trip to Goodwill yet for the season." He had been buying his own clothes since he was fifteen or so, almost all of them from thrift stores of one kind or another. He had been saving up some money and working on patching old clothes, usually cannibalizing others of the same type to make the repairs, but he wasn't done yet.

As she took the bag from him Jericho watched her closely. As her face lit up he smiled, then spoke when she asked how he had gotten them, "Well I know a guy who knows a guy," he said, teasing her, not about to reveal his secret. He listened as she mentioned how he had always brought the drinks. He nodded a bit, "Yeah, they're in the car, but I think it might be a little cold to stay out here tonight..."

But then things seemed to take a turn to the unhappy. She had noticed how he was acting and was frowning. He looked down at the ground for a bit, listening as she spoke, saying he was scaring her and that she hated those words. Jericho heaved a sigh and then looked up into her eyes. She was his friend, he was not about to hide anything from her. "Bella... I... I joined the Army." He waited for a second, looking at her, his eyes practically begging her to be supportive. "I... I don't have any other options... with my grades and stuff I can't get into school... and I can't work at the grocery store my entire life..."

"Its far to cold to stay out here tonight..." She shivered as she finished her sentence. Crossing her arms even tighter against her chest. "Hmm... You just don't want to give away that secret of yours. You've always managed to get things before they are actually released. But I love that about you, because of things like this." She nodded down towards the bag in her lap. Adjusting them
before they fell off and into the creek below.

"Heh, goodwill is overated. You know there's still that pile of clothes you have at my house. You need to come and get them." She was talking a lot, because she was extremely nervous. He knew, that she was on to him. But little did Bella know she was about to hear the worst, and greatest news all together.

She could feel her heart sinking further and further into the pit of her stomach as his words etched into her brain. The army... He would leave her behind. Shaking her head, her lips moved trying to form the right words. After a few minutes of silence, they finally managed to find the right ones. "The army... No... You can't. Jericho..." Even then her words were still jumbled. Burying her head in her lap, she felt the tears starting to come down. Wiping them away, she turned back to him. "Im happy for you... When are you leaving...?"

Jericho nodded a little bit, "Yeah... but I am probably not going back to my place tonight. Likely just sleep in the car." Hell, that was what he had been doing for the past few weeks, only going home to shower quick when he knew his dad would be out. He doubted the old man even noticed he was gone. He smiled slightly at her compliment, "And that's why I'll never tell Bells. I love surprising you o much."

When she spoke again, mentioning clothes at her house, he nodded a bit. "I'll come over and pick them up, promise." She really was a good friend, always looking after him, doing whatever she could to see to it that he was alright. He knew how lucky he was to have a friend like her.

He watched her face as he told her, saw the despair. Jericho moved forward, then hesitated, for once unsure how to react. But as she spoke, telling him he couldn't leave, he felt his heart wrench in his chest. But, when she buried her head in her lap, crying, he stepped up and wrapped his arms around her. He held her smaller frame close his voice broken as he spoke, "Bells... I don't know what else to do..." She looked to him then, saying she was happy for him, then asked when he'd be leaving. "A month. I go to basic, then I don't know where."

He looked into her eyes, speaking softly, "I know you stayed because of me, but you could be off to college, getting a degree. I... I want what's best for you Bella. I... I know this is abrupt. But I don't want you to feel like you need to stay here because of me. You are my best friend Bella, and I don't want you to squander opportunities in life because of me..."

She let him wrap her in his arms, her body fit perfectly in his. It wasn't long and the frot of his shirt was pretty wet. Pulling away from him, she wiped her face and nodded. "Its what is best for you... I understand." Bella was trying, trying so hard to be suportive of him. She always had been, why change that now?

"I never wanted to leave you behind... I haven't stayed here just because of you Jericho. I have stayed because I haven't been able to afford school... But you'll be fine, I was wondering... Why you had chopped your hair off. It's because of you joining the army. Your leaving, for lord knows how long. I'll be here, waiting."

Just because he was leaving her behind? Shaking softly, she spoke. "Come on... My dad isn't home and won't be home for a few more weeks. You can stay with me. We can finish talking there." It was freezing, the later it got the colder it got. "Leave your car, get the drinks and whatever else you want." Her mind was racing with so many thoughts, her voice still broken from the recent news.

"Come on Jer... It's cold out here..." She was in the process of standing up and grabbing the bag he had given her previously. Unthawing her butt from
the cold rock she had just been sitting on.

Jericho held her close, hating seeing her like this. It took her some time, but she pulled away and nodded, speaking. He listened to her, frowning, his heart breaking inside. He hated this, hated seeing her in such a condition. But then she dropped a bombshell on him. She had not gone to school because she could not afford it? She had always had pretty good grades in school. His eyebrows furrowed and he shook his head, "I... I didn't know that Bella." It was then that a thought came to his mind. "I'll pay for it Bella," he said, his tone serious, "The Army will provide for me. But I want you to go to school. You were always the smart one."

She made an offer a few moments later to go and stay at her place for a few weeks. Well, that pretty much sounded like the best thing he'd heard all day. "Sure Bells." He helped her get off the rock, then walked back towards the cars with her. He quickly grabbed the drinks, a bag with some groceries and a backpack with some clothes and other things. He really didn't mind leaving his car out here, nobody ever came around. He piled into her car with her, quite happy to be out of the wind.

"It turns out, that my grades weren't good enough apparently. When I tried to get into Handon University, they said that it wasn't high enough to receive any scholarships. When I went to see if I could get aid, they said my dad made to much money and I can't use mine until I'm 21." She started speaking as he set down in the passenger sear of her car. Bella had already turned the heater on full blast. "Thats why, I'm here. I knew you wouldn't minded me going to Handon. It's just a few hours away."

As she started to drive, she turned towards him. "When did you join? After you cut your hair I'm assuming?" The fact that he was leaving her hadn't fully set in yet. Of course they were only best friends and friends split up... But their relationship was a lot more then rhe basic friendship one. Jericho had been there for her various times. But now who would she turn too? "Im happy for you Jer... I really am. But you can't pay for me to go to college. That isn't your responsibilty... You use that money for yourself. Not for someone who isn't even going to be around you."

Jericho listened to her as she dropped a bomb he had not been expecting. Her grades were not good enough?! But she had only mentioned a single university, which brought a question to mind. "Why did you only check Handon? There are many schools out there... I was sure that there would be at least one that would be willing to give you a full ride..." Had she only looked at Handon because it was the closest? Because she was, still, staying close for his sake?

Soon enough they were on the road heading to her house. She asked him when he had signed up, and if it had been after he cut his hair, and he shrugged. "It was before that actually. Two months ago now. But I thought maybe I'd give you some time to get used to the curls being gone." He glanced over at her and smiled, but it was a weak one. He was not sure how he could help things smooth over more, at least not yet.

When she spoke again, saying she was happy for him, he did smile a little bit wider. Well, that was good... But then came the refusal to let him pay for college. He glanced over at her, his eyebrows furrowed. "Bella, the military is going to provide for me what I need." He reached over, putting a hand gently on her arm, squeezing a bit, "I don't need you to be around to care for you Bells. Please, let me do this at least..."

Taking a moment to reply, she spoke softly. "Because it was the only one I wanted to go to." The truth was, she hadn't wanted to leave him. She wanted to stay as close as possible to him. But right now, that had all started to crumble away beneath her feet. Turning her blinker on, she turned right into her neighbor hood. Shaking her head, she spoke once again.

"Did you not think that you signing up for the military was important enough to tell me at that time?" Bella knew she couldn't stop him, but all of her emotions were turning into one at the moment. Thsts why she was glad a few moments later she was turning into her drive way and opening the garage door.

Feeling his arm squeezing hers gently, she took a deep breath. "No, Jericho. The military will take care of you and you alone. Not any baggage you bring along. I'll be fine, because you can't take care of me. Because you'll be gone." Bella was getting out of the car. A few moments later she was opening the door and going inside.

She had not wanted to go to another college?! Things were becoming more confused, and yet somehow more clear. His mind was a whirl with thoughts, but a possible motivation for her wanting to stay was becoming evident. The edge to her voice, the tightness, was it indicative of what he thought it was?

When she spoke again, asking him if he had not thought it important to tell her, Jericho shook his head. "I... I knew it was important to tell you Bella. I just did not know how." He fell silent for a moment, guilt wracking at him from the inside, twisting his guts into knots. He should have told her sooner, included her in his plans... There were so many things he could have done better. But it had been so hard, thinking of leaving her, knowing he'd be without her.

But, as they pulled into her drive, she said something he had not been expecting at all. Her words ripped into him, the implication that he would not take care of her hitting him as if it were a physical blow. He sat there for a moment, stunned, then quickly exited the car and went after her.

Jericho's feelings were a conflicting ball settling in his stomach when he caught up to her. He caught her by a hand, his enclosing and entwining with hers, and he pulled her to a stop. "Bella... I will do anything for you. You know that." He fell quiet for a moment, then spoke softly, "Come with me. I will have enough to afford a place off base if someone is living with me..."

When he grabbed her hand and intertwined his fingers with hers, she came to a stop. Turning around to face him. Tears were starting to drop down her cherks. That had been one of the main reasons she had left him sitting in the car. Bella knew, that he had probably caught onto her lie. She had never been great at keeping things from him. This, was no different.

"I haven't left, because of you. I was accepted into other schools, but none were close to you Jer. I had always thought, that for some reason we would be around each other for awhile. I stayed here, right here because I didn't want to leave you. Your my best friend... I couldn't leave... That's why hearing about you leaving, my plans are all crumbling against me."

It would of been an excellent time to tell him how she really felt, but she couldn't find the guts to do it. Shaking her head at his next statement. She wiped her face. "I can't come with you... They won't let me... It's not like I'm your wife or anything." Her voice was begining to waver more as she squeezes his hand tighter. "Then if I could move with you, what happens? Whst happens when you get sent over seas or something..." Bella desperately wanted to say yes

When she turned her tear streaked face to him, Jericho's heart dropped into his stomach. God, how she hated it when she cried. In that moment he felt like the absolutely worst person in the world. How could he have done this to her, how could he have inflicted such pain upon his best friend? He had thought he would be helping her, letting her cut lose, letting her move on with her life. But it seemed she really, really, wanted to stay with him.

When she spoke again, saying that she was accepted to other schools, he felt even worse. She had not gone to other schools because they were not close to him... She could not leave, would not leave, all because of him. Jericho could not have felt worse and, undoubtedly, it showed on his face.

He sighed, pulling her close and hugging her, needing to do that at least, needing her to know he had not meant to hurt her. When she spoke again, saying she could not come, he shook his head, "They cannot stop me from spending my pay how I'd like. It would be more then worth every cent to have you close. And... and if I go overseas... you could be the first one there to greet me when I get home."

He clung to her, not wanting to let go, needing her to know he had not wanted to hurt her. "I am sorry Bella... I... I thought I was ruining your life. I..." He fell silent then, unsure what else he could say to her, being far to much a bundled ball of emotion to think coherently.

"We will talk about it later, once my head is completely clear of all emotions." She shook her head and hugged him tightly. Not wanting to let him go. "Your not ruining my life Jericho, you just sort of thew a curve ball at me." Bella laughed softly and wiped her face as she pulled away from his grasp. "I didn't leave, because I wanted you around... I didn't know if I could focus and make it without. I never have before and to think of having too.... It made me want to stay."

"Now, I have a choice. Come with you or stay here." She laughed softly and turned to look at the time. "Do you wanna go out and eat somewhere? I haven't eaten dinner today." She crossed her arms, laughing gently at what had happened that day. All within a few moments tops. "If I were to come with you, do you think it would work out? Being friends and all?"

When she said they would talk about it latter Jericho nodded slightly. He knew when not to press Bella, when it was sometimes best to let things go. This, he felt, was one of the times. He held her close, like he had done so many times in their lives, not speaking for a few long moments. As she spoke again, saying that he was not ruining her life, Jericho could only swallow, not having the courage to say anything.

But when she spoke again, explaining why she did not leave, he could not help but feel even worse. She wanted him around, was unwilling to leave him. She had not wanted to leave because she thought that she needed him, could not be without him... What was she talking about? It sounded like... something else... Jericho couldn't say anything, could not even think right now. What was going on?

When she spoke again, talking about the choice before her, he nodded a bit. What else could he say then? But when she spoke again, asking him if he wanted to go to dinner, he nodded, speaking softly, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." She laughed again, trying to lighten the mood evidently, but all he could do was just smile a little. This was all so confusing. When she spoke again, asking him if it would work out if she came with him, he nodded a bit, "Yeah, I think it will work... I know it will. You are," he paused for a moment and spoke softly, "The greatest."

Bella would tell him later... Way later after she had mad her decision on where
to move or stay there. "Good... I'm going to get a shower... Then you can." As she finished her sentence, she was walking upstairs and into her bedroom. Of course, she had a bathroom hooked to it. She was already stripping of her clothes before she turned the water on hot. Bella hated a cold shower or anything near it, so that's why she always turned it to the highest settining. Turning the showerr knob on, she climbed in. Letting the water hit against her face, her back. Anything that would relax her.

She could feel that Jer knew something else, that something that she wasn't telling him. Bella wanted to badly, extremely bad. The thoughts roaming through her head. She would tell him, when she moved with him or when he moved with out her. Twenty minutes later, she was coming downstairs with her hair dry and straighted, jeans and a nice shirt on. "Im done, you know where my bathroom is..." Nodding, she was grabbing a coke from the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom