Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Revolutionary Romance (Wolvenrogue and myself)

poisonedxkisses

Supernova
Cornelia looked over the small room that held sick and injured British soldiers. She made her rounds from bedside to bedside, making sure all the soldiers were comfortable and had what was requested of her. Water, blankets, food. She was in charge of all of that. The 17 year old had volunteered to help care for the soldiers, even though it wasn't the best idea for a girl whose father and older brother were off fighting these Redcoats.

Her chestnut brown hair fell in waves around her shoulders and down her back. She came up to a younger looking soldier and smiled down at him. “Hello sir.” she said. She brushed her bangs out of her crystal blue eyes and knelt next to him, adjusting his blanket and pillow, trying to get him more comfortable. She took his glass and poured him some water, placing it on the small table next to his cot. “Can I get you anything else, or are you fine for right now?” she asked him.

Robert was 24 and had been conscripted by the King's army and brought to America. He was a big boy at 6' 2" and 190lbs. His body rippled with muscle earned from several years Hard work on a farm. His hair was sandy and his eyes were bright blue. He really had no problem's with the revolutionaries as the British called them, but he was here fighting them, and got wounded early taking a miniball in his left thigh. He hoped he wuld not lose his leg as many like him had. He had a raging fever and was somewhat dilerious from the infection in his thigh which was hot and sore. When this vision of a young girl stood over him, he tried to focus and said " oh miss, I'm so warm and thirsty. Can you get rid of some of these clothes.. I'm burning up!" His face and neck were flushed, and he felt hot to her touch.

Cornelia nodded and helped peel the blankets away from his body, and moved to help remove his shirt so he could cool off. She looked around and nodded. "I'll be back, sir." she said and moved to grab some strips of linen from a small table in the corner. She doused them in cold water and laid one on his forehead, another on the injury in his thigh. She knew basic first aid, and it was obvious his wound wasn't doing so well. She used some antiseptic on the wound and rubbed it gently, trying to cut the infection. She sighed and moved the cup to his lips. "You need to drink, sir. You'll be dehydrated if you don't." She tilted the cup, trying to get him to drink some of the cold water.

Though weak, he gulped at the cool water she offered, and the touch of her cool hands helped to comfort him. She was an angel to him and, though she occasionally looked worried, her smile became a beaon of hope for him. As she changed the wet gauze again and again, his body cooled and his fever began to break. Each time she would pass by his bed, her soft touch comforted him and gave him hope.

Later that afternoon, the surgeon stopped by his bed and examined his leg. "Son, If that doesnt start to heal soon, it will have to come off" he said. Robert was panic stricken "No!" he shouted "No!"

The next time Cornelia came by he grabbed her by the arm. "Please dont let them take my leg! Make it get better Please!"

She smiled as he drank the water, refilling the glass before leaving his side. She continued to make her rounds and nodded at the surgeon as he came in. She was not a fan of the man, he seemed to harsh. These men were injured, and he showed no compassion. She overheard the conversation between him and Robert and frowned a bit. She watched as the surgeon continued around the room and when Robert grabbed her arm she stopped, looking at his worried face. "I will try... I don't know exactly what to do, but I promise you I will do my best to get it better." she touched his shoulder and looked at the wound. She finished her rounds quickly and after another few minutes she returned, changing the linen, keeping him cool. She then removed the gauze on his wound. She doused it with antiseptic again and cleaned the wound thoroughly before putting a clean bandage on it. "How are you feeling right now, sir?" she asked him.

Robert winced as she scrubbed and cleaned the wound, it hurt terribly, but at least she was trying. Other than his wounded thigh, Robert was a fine specimen of a man with a broad 44" chest and a narrow 32" waist. His muscles rippled, and without his shirt he looked the almost perfect male form. as she worked on thigh, Cornelia had been forced to open his pants and slide them down, and he was covered only by a small towel. Robert was in too much pain to let this situation effect him.

to keep his mind off the pain he took to studying Conelia's beautiful form as she worked on his body. He loved her beautiful hair and porceline skin. she was like a doll. but a very real one indeed. He longed to touch her but knew he could not and had to be content with comfort she offered him.

Cornelia looked up at his form as she cleaned to wound and smiled. He was extremely handsome, but he was the enemy. She didn't let the situation get out of hand when she pulled his pants down to clean the wound. She was his nurse, there was nothing about this that suggested otherwise, and she knew her place. She tied back her wavy locks so they stayed out of her face as she cleaned and the wound. She hoped the infection went away, she wouldn't want to see anyone under her care to have to lose a limb. She moved some hair out of his face and smiled warmly. "I imagine when you came to the colonies you didn't expect this to be your existence, did you?" she asked, scoffing slightly. She knelt by the bed and dressed his wound, her blue eyes scanning the soldier laying there. "I know this isn't the most pleasant experience, but maybe I can help you find a way to pass the time between my duties. I could find some playing cards, or we could just talk. I don't want you to have to spend your time recovering alone." She rested her hand on his lower arm and smiled. "What would you like?" she asked him.

Robert asked her to sit down and talk with him a while. "What makes a pretty young girl like you want to work with broken beatup men like us, he asked." He couldn't beleive she had volunteered. He told her of the hateful journey from England on the boat and being sick nearly the whole way. They chatted for hours about small things. Finally he asked her, "might I hold your hand?" He looked her in the eyes as he asked it. There was something about her he just couldn't help but like.

She nodded and pulled up a chair next to his bedside and smoothed the dark blue skirt of her dress over her legs. "I decided to help out because there isn't a shortage of colonists helping each other out, but there should be some to care for you and your friends. While most colonists think we should let you suffer, I'm not like that. You are human too, even if we don't believe in the same thing." She smiled and listened to his story about him arriving at the colonies and the way he was sick for most of the trip. She blushed a bit when he asked to hold her hand but she nodded. "Sure, that would be fine." she took his hand and laced her fingers through his. "So did you want to fight for this?" she asked him.

"No" he said, "This fight is for Lords and Ladies and Kings and such, we are just poor farmers like you, but they say jump and we we ask how high, at least your side knows what they're fighting for. I don't think you'll win, but to tell the truth I pray to God you do, and soon so I can go home."

He ran the fingers of his other hand over the soft skin on the back of her hand. He hands were tiny and delicate, yet capable of good work, life saving work. "A woman's hands are amazing! How can anything so small and so soft do so much work and bring so much comfort? Your a blessing to us here Cornelia. I hope you know that. They sat and talked for several hours in between, her rounds. He was taken with girl, and he hoped that she was with him. never had he known a girl so sweet and tender, or so willing to please. They seemed to thrive on each others smiles.

They were interrupted by the surgeon, who had come to examine Robert expecting to schedule an amputation. He removed Robert's dressing and was shocked. The redness was subsiding and he was beginning to heal. "You are a remarkable young lady" he said to Cornelia, "and you are a luck man" he said to Robert. "You owe her a great deal!"

Cornelia nodded and smiled a bit. "I see, yes, I agree with you Robert." she said and moved her fingers against his palm gently. "It seems like a long shot for the colonies to win." She was a bit hurt that he wanted to leave, but she knew it was a natural feeling. They hadn't known each other long, but she enjoyed his company. When he left it would mean she'd be alone again.

She laughed as he admired her hands. "Because that is what the lord intended our hands for I suppose." she said and smiled. "We are meant to comfort the men in our lives and to raise children. You need to have soft but firm hands to do jobs like that." she smiled and enjoyed the time they had spent together, learning about each other's lives.

When the surgeons came she was worried. She would have hated for him to have lost a limb because of something she did, or didn't do rather. She watched intently as the surgeon removed the bandage and checked the injury. She let out a soft sigh of relief when he praised her for doing a good job. That meant his leg wasn't infected any more. "Thank you sir." she said and bowed her head at his compliment. She then turned to Robert and smiled. "I'm glad you will be alright." She said, worry and caring lacing her words. She took his hand and squeezed it gently.

"You know Cornelia.. when I came into this place I wanted to go home, from he very first day. But you know, now I'm not sure.. This place has something that England does not." He could see from her face she seemed puzzled. "It has you my dear Cornelia," He placed his hand gently on her face, "It has you!"

He asked the surgeon, "how long till I get out of here?" " I wouldn't be in a hurry laddy, they just send you back to the fight. But since you asked, about a week." He looked at Cornelia in shock. He couldn't imagine being shot at again.

Cornelia smiled and chuckled a bit. "Yes, that is true, but I'm sure they have plenty of beautiful women over in England that would be absolutely smitten with you." she ran a hand against his arm. She loved the softness of his touch and it made her blush. She sighed when the surgeon said he had about a week before he could go back to fighting the war. She knew after that she probably wouldn't see him again. He could leave town at any moment once he was back in the front line. She sighed and resigned herself to the fact it was bound to have happened, she just wished it wasn't so soon. She didn't want to lose a friend. "I'm sure you'll be fine Robert." she said, brushing her fingers against his palm. "Besides, you still have a few more days to rest."

Robert woke the next morning to the sound of gunshots. A battle was raging just outside the door. he got up from his bed and pulled on his shirt and grabbed a musket. He opened the door a crack and a shot rang out. Robert felt burning in his thigh just below his previous wood. He' d been shot, but it had only grazed him. He looked and to his horror found Cornelia on the floor in a pool of blood. He ran to her and picked her up off the floor. The ball had gone through him and hit her right forearm. The ball was still on the surface having lost velocity when it hit him. He pulled it out with his fingers and taking off his shirt wrapped her arm tight and held her. "Doctor!" he screamed. "Cornelia's been hit." He had completely forgotten that he was hit too.
The surgeon examined her wound as Robert laid her in his bed. "she'll be fine" he said. "Now let's see what happened to you." Bob looked down and nearly fainted when he saw his pants completely soaked in blood. The Surgeon stripped of his pants and examined the wound. This time your lucky. Its not too bad, but you'll be here a week or two longer than we planned.

Cornelia fell to the floor, a blood curdling scream escaping her lips as she was hit by a musket shot. She cried out, pain searing through her body. "Oh my god!" She closed her eyes tightly, trying to stay strong as Robert picked her up and put her on the bed. "It hurts so much." she said through gritted teeth. She watched as the doctor examined her wound and said she'd be fine. It sure as hell didn't feel like it. She looked at Robert and bit her lip as his pants came off so the doctor could examine his wound. "Are... are you alright Robert?" she asked softly, closing her eyes, trying to not focus on the pain radiating from her arm. She heard the doctor say he'd have to stay for another week or two and sighed. She had wanted him to be able to stay, but she didn't mean this way. She opened her eyes and looked at the soldier. He had been hit but it seemed like he was so strong, like it barely even bothered him.

Robert slipped on a hospital robe and pulled up the chair next to the bed he had been in only minutes before. As the doctor bandaged his leg again, he sat and held her hand comforting her against the pain. When the doctor finished with his leg, he tended to her arm which was less serious. None the less Robert made nothing of it and happily sat next to the wounded nurse all afternoon and into the evening. Just before lights out, an older nurse came along and helped Cornelia to her feet. "You'll be fine young lady she said softly patting her shoulder. Your mother is here to get you. If you feel well enough, you may see your soldier boy in the morning. Run along now." The nurse saw the disappointed look on Robert's face. "You get your self in that bed before I beat you!" she said with a sly smile.

Cornelia enjoyed every moment with Robert. It made time fly, but the pain seemed less when he was talking to her. She sighed and looked at the older woman as she told her her mother was there. "Oh... alright." she said, obviously annoyed that she had to leave. She stood up with help from the nurse and turned to Robert in time to see the look on his face. She smiled and gently touched his face. "Rest Robert, I'll be back before you know it." she turned and left the room, making her way outside to head home.

The next morning Cornelia's arm was throbbing, but she ignored it as she got washed and dressed. "Mama, I'm heading back to care for the soldiers." She said. Her mother came out of the kitchen and shook her head. "I wish you wouldn't. It's dangerous there. If it's raided the soldiers won't care if you are a colonist or not. Anyone helping the British is in danger." Cornelia simply smiled and shook her head. "Mama I have to go back, they need me there and I enjoy my time helping others. I promise I'll be careful." she said before leaving the house, making her way back to the building that housed the soldiers. She entered and quickly made her rounds before walking towards Robert's cot. "Good morn, kind sir." she said and smiled brightly. "How are you today? Is your leg alright?"

Robert smiled, "when will you call me Robert?" he asked in a teasing tone. Every time you say that I look for my Father!. "I am fine and how are you Cornelia? How is your arm?" he looked critically at the partially soaked bandage. "bring me some clean gauze and antiseptic. when she returned, he carefully unwrapped her arm and cleaned her wound, giving her the same loving care she had given him. He wrapped it with clean gauze, and kissed away the tear that came when the sting of the antiseptic took hold. Though she could be tough, she was a delicate flower, a combination that touched his heart.

She smiled and laughed a bit. "I'm sorry Robert. I was just taught to treat my elders with respect." she teased back. She knew he wasn't much older than her, but she needed to know her place, because some soldiers could become quite cross. She winced and blushed a bit as he kissed away her tears when he cleaned and bandaged her wound. "Thank you Robert." she said and smiled sweetly. She liked him. He was handsome, strong, but caring also. It was a rare thing for her to see. Most of the British soldiers on the street were cruel to the colonists. She could understand why, but it still made her curious as to why he was so different. She brushed her brown locks out of her face and smiled. "Can I get anything for you now?" she asked him.

"A glass of water and your company will stand me well," he said with a smile. He could talk to her for hours. Every day they grew a little closer. By now he knew of her family, where they lived and how the came to America. She had been born here, and raised on a Virginia plantation near Richmond. she knew his story of growing up in the hills of whales, of raising sheep and pigs, and clearing the stones from field by hand one at a time. They loved to share the stories of family aand friends, and holidays.

Their pleasant talk was interrupted by a visit from the first lieutenant, who had come to set dates and times for soldier to return to battle. He examined Robert, and over the objections of the surgeon found him fit for service. He had to pack up and leave at once. He said a tearful goodbye to Cornelia, and left.

Cornelia stood and got him water and moved back to sit with him. She loved spending time getting to know him and it always was a great conversation when they talked. She smiled and continued to talk with him about her hopes and dreams and what she had learned over the past few months while the war raged on. She watched as the first lieutenant moved through the room. She felt her breath catch and she held it as he moved towards Robert. When he said he was okay to go back to battle she looked at him in disbelief. "He... he was just shot yesterday!" she objected. She looked up at the soldier who eyed her angrily. "And what do you know girl?" he asked. She swallowed and just said goodbye to Robert, hoping they'd be able to see each other before the war ended. She took a small bracelet she had woven and pressed it into his hand before he left. She quickly walked away, not wanting to cry in front of the other soldier. She watched as he left and fought back tears.

The war had raged on for two more years. Robert wrote letters to his darling Cornelia. he kept them for her hoping some day to be able to post them, but the day never came. Then one day outside Richmond, his commanding officer said the British had lost the war, he was to give up his arms and had two choices report to a ship in Richmond that morning bound for England, or make his own way in America. Robert was astounded, but did think but a minute, he headed back to where Cornelia had cared for him, but when he arrived the building was abandoned.

He remembered the stories she told of her parents farm and decide to try and find it. He wandered the country side for 2 weeks trying to find it. he had no money, and hadn't eaten for a week. the colonists hated him and would give him nothing. He was sitting by the road when a wagon drove by and then suddenly stopped. A young woman got out and looked at him strangely, she had long wavey brown hair. "Cornelia?"

Cornelia was now 19, and her parents had urged her to find a husband and have a family. She knew she should find a husband soon, but she held out hope that one day Robert would return. She hated disobeying her parents, but she needed to follow her heart. She had been in the town to purchase some feed for the animals and had just returned home to see a man sitting in front of her drive. She motioned for the driver to stop and stepped out, wearing a black dress with a grey front and cuffs. Her hair was up in curls that were pinned to her head and a white bonnet to shield her from the sun. "Excuse me sir, may I hel..." she then realized who it was. "Wait! Are you...? No it can't be, why are you here?!" she asked and threw her arms around him, knowing it was extremely improper. She didn't care. Robert was outside of her home. HER Robert. "I can't believe you're here. The war is over... why aren't you on your way back to England?" she asked.

"I was given a choice return on a ship or stay here, I went looking for you" "The building where we met was abandoned. Iv'e been looking for your farm for two weeks. I haven't eaten in 5 days. No one would help me in this uniform. My God but your a welcome site." He struggled to his feet and climbed in the back of the wagon.

Hr couldn't believe he had finally found her and they were both still alive.

She smiled and looked at him. "Oh my god, I can't believe you're here." she heard him say he hadn't eaten and smiled. "Well, come inside... papa's not home right now, so we need to find some kind of clothes for you before he gets home." She turned to face the carriage. "You know what to do." she said and nodded at the driver of the carriage. She lead him inside and took his coat from him. "I need to hide this." she said. She found him a shirt that belonged to her brother and handed it to him. "This should fit." she said and smiled at him. "I'll make you some food in a couple minutes after I figure out where to hide this." She said and disappeared into her room, hiding it in a hope chest and then walked back out to the kitchen. "What would you like to eat Robert?" she asked him.

Back
Top Bottom