Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Protection at a Cost (Lord Dakol and Sanantha)

Lord Dakol

Supernova
September 27th, 2011
Rome, Italy
3:30 p.m.

"You sure you want to be doing this, Grayson?" the man said in the front seat, driving down the path, just outside the city of Rome. He glanced at the older man in the backseat, frowning just slightly. "There are way better jobs in the States."

"The States are boring. Besides, I need a slight change of pace," he replied, his dark eyes of emerald scanning the folder in his hands. Grayson Taros didn't usually do bodyguard work; he had protected the President once, but it wasn't often. Being ex-military, he had served the military for ten years as Special Forces, working dangerous places such as Burma and Russia before being honorably discharged. He was 30 years old, not a young man anymore but not old, either. He had short, raven-black hair that was cut neatly at the sides and back, his face cleanly shaven, for appearances, and a very light scar ran down his right eyebrow. Grayson's physique was powerful and built, but not so much as to impede his work, his muscles rippling underneath the black shirt and tan cargo-pants he wore. On his left hip was a black holster, holding a weathered M&P Compact.

~

Client(s) Name: Antony and Amanda Caldiore
Subject: Louisa Calidor (daughter)
Height: 4'11"
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Hazel
Complexion: Pale
Additional Information: Lives in Italy, Rome; goes to boarding school. Parents are afraid of kidnapping attempt.

~

"Hmph," Grayson breathed, and tossed the folder into the front passenger-side seat. He leaned back, folding his hands behind his head, "Just take me there, Peter..." he growled, sighing as he closed his eyes...

4:00 p.m.

"We're here, man."
Grayson opened his eyes, and glanced out the window to the villa. Showtime. "Thanks," he told Peter, patting his ally's shoulder before getting out of the car. He could already feel eyes on him; especially from a window on the second floor, but he ignored it as he approached the front double-doors before knocking slightly. Grayson waited, his eyes narrowing as they always did.

Lousia watched from the hallway window as a black BMW pulled up in front of her parents Villa, something her mother still called a mansion even though they lived in Italy. Po-ta-toe, po-tah-toe the thought came automatically to her mind in her mother’s voice as she’d heard it said time after time. Giving herself a soft giggle at the fact that she seemed to be hearing her mother’s admonishments and favorite sayings Louisa dropped the window’s curtains remembering that she was supposed to be angry at this newcomer.

Giving a shake of her head she turned feeling her long straight black hair cascade over her shoulders before she stepped up to a mirror in the hall. Smoothing her skirt and blouse Louisa leaned close to check her make-up and her light grey eyes flashed back at her with a decided twinkle. Even being modest Louisa had no problem admitting that she was beautiful, her fair complexion, dark hair, beautiful eyes and curvy figure for her short height made her desired by many men.

For some reason her parents felt like she needed a baby sitter and Louisa hated it. Having grown up in the city Louisa felt like she knew the dangers and threats that Rome could provide, and she’d never once been in danger. Through all her years of dance practice, swimming practices, running meets and violin lessons had she ever come face to face with any of the less savory members that society could have put in her path. Louisa even understood her parents were over protective and probably exaggerated the threats that could lurk in every shadow but she was tired of it.

Deciding that she was going to be as rude and stubborn as possible Louisa slowly trudged down the stairs when her mother called her to meet with her father and the new man in her father’s study. Her bodyguard’s presence wouldn’t stop her from doing the things she enjoyed, like sneaking out to parties with her friends in the city or going to clubs to dance. If he thought so she’d simply sneak away from him as well, it couldn’t be too difficult.

With that determination in mind she walked into the study and threw herself into a large armchair in as rude a manner as possible. Not even bothering to glance at the man in the room she looked over to her parents and shrugged, “I’m here…” She watched as her mother and father’s faces flushed in embarrassment at her behavior, quickly followed by their anger as they turned to the bodyguard. “Mr. Taros, please forgive her behavior, she is normally such a sweet and comported girl.”

Even as he said it her father sent Louisa a glare trying to convey the message to act properly or there would be consequences. Knowing that it was easier to give in Louisa gave a huff before turning to sit properly and demurely in her seat and finally took a look at the new staff member. He appeared older to her, with short black hair and an interesting scar on his cheek, but his dark green eyes caught her attention the most as she looked at them. “Hello, Mr. Taros.” She finally greeted like she was supposed to.

Grayson needed to only wait a few more seconds before the doors opened to reveal what he automatically registered as the parents of his "subject", as the file told him. He nodded a tiny bit before walking in, his dark eyes scanning the foyer and the halls. It was quite splendid, though Grayson himself always envisioned himself living in a small house on the countryside. Rome was most likely perfect for that.

His attention flickered to the entrance made by the young girl as she sat in a chair. Grayson first noticed that she was quite beautiful, taking after her mother in many ways, but she apparently didn't have manners; at least, not to him or people in his profession. The rudeness of Louisa didn't phase him in the least, and rose a large, slightly scarred hand to wave off his words, "It's completely fine, signor Caldiore. I'm used to it." he replied dismissively.

Looking at Louisa as she made an effort to greet him, Grayson made a slight incline of his head in response, "Good evening, Miss Louisa," he said before speaking to Antony.

"Is there any questions you'd like to ask me, Mr. and Mrs. Caldiore?" Grayson inquired, his voice a bit gruff.

Louisa watched as her parents gave Mr. Taros the rules about the house and the property, at that point she zoned out not listening until her father told him that Mr. Taros would have to talk to her, about the things she does for sports and practices. At the same time they warned him about her partying and sneaking out which earned them a glare from Louisa.

Turning her attention back to Mr. Taros she looked at him, ”Well come along then, if we’re talking it sure isn’t going to be here. You can ask whatever you want when we get there.” She left her voice cool and commanding treating him like she would any other person employed by her parents.Without looking back she stood and gracefully exited the room fully expecting that he follow her to wherever she was going.

Taking her time Louisa strolled about the house passing the large living room, the workout room, the indoor pool for her home practices, the kitchen and finally leading him outside to the garden which was Louisa’s sanctuary. Slowly she found her way through the garden’s maze trusting that he was either behind her or that he would be forced to find her in the twisting and winding pathways that led to the center with its fountain, benches and rose bushes. She planned to go to the center, sit on one of the benches or maybe in the gazebo and talk to Mr. Taros there.

Grayson nodded in response to each of the rules set down by the parents, absorbing them by listening intently, wanting to make sure he didn't miss anything. "And you've read my file, signore. I trust that everything is to your expectations."

He turned towards Louisa as she beckoned him to follow, and he did so without a word. Once they were gone, Peter poked his head in, smiling slightly. "Gray forgot his bag," he said, holding up the large, heavy duffel bag before dropping it near a nightstand. "Will you please tell him I said goodbye?" Peter inquired before leaving.

While Grayson followed the young woman, his eyes continued to absorb every bit of information he was given about the house and his clients. Then, when she vanished in the garden maze, he followed, keeping to mind the route they were taking in case he needed to return quickly.

It was a very quiet area, with the silence only disturbed - or enhanced - by the running water and the sounds of birds. Grayson approached the nearest tree before leaning against it and folding his arms as he gazed at Louisa.

Looking around at her sanctuary Louisa wondered what else she should do to the garden here at the center of the maze. It was her private project that her parents cared little for as she simply asked for the funds, or one of the servants to retrieve a flower or some other object and she would put it into the garden. This place was the only place where Louisa could truly feel like she could call something hers. Everything else her parents owned or dictated the way things would look or happen, but here this was her place.

With that in mind she figured that her bodyguard would need to know where Louisa would be about the house if he was ever not in her company, and so showing him this place let him know at least one spot to find her as well as being a place she felt she could talk comfortably. Setting her shoulders she turned on her bench to look at Mr. Taros determined first and foremost to find out what she should call her bodyguard other than his surname. “ What should I call you? Let’s start with that and from there you can ask whatever it is you need to ask to guard me.

Turning her head back to the fountain in the center she watched several small birds flitting about in the water playing as she waited for the stoic man leaning on the tree beside her to answer. Louisa felt like he would be a constantly silent companion to be around and was determined to make the man open and more relaxed at least with her.

Come now Mr. Taros, you’ll have to relax at least a little with me, I won’t be followed around by some silent gorilla intent only on destroying anything that looks like it may harm me, understand?” Her voice was firm and commanding a tone she’d learned from her father in dealing with any partner in business or underling at home. “If you want my cooperation and to stop me from attempting to get rid of you every day and night then you will need to relent from this.” She illustrated what she meant by ‘this’ by gesturing at his silent emotionless face as he leaned against the small olive tree.

Oddly enough, Grayson felt his body relax in the presence of the garden. It was extremely peaceful; but he knew he could let his guard down, especially now. Looking at Louisa, Grayson quirked an eyebrow.

"You can call me Grayson, ma'am. Or "Gray", if that suits you," he answered with a stiff, prompt nod before falling silent. It wasn't that he didn't want to ask her anything; in fact, he was quietly forming questions in his mind. In her response, Grayson, relaxed a bit and allowed his burly arms to fall to his side, though his hand was near the holster of his gun. "Fine by me, ma'am. I'll be the social gorilla," joked Grayson, chuckling slightly.

"Well, where to start? Hm..." he paused, "What do you on weekends, when you're not busy with schoolwork?" Grayson had previously been warned of her sneaking out, the older man had his own opinion of it which would become evident if she asked.

Alright Gray…” Louisa tried the name out just to get a feel for it, ” Call me Louisa not ma’am, that’s my mother.” Watching she saw him relax at least partially, but just like the bodyguard she’d seen around her father during dangerous functions his hand stayed near his hip where Louisa knew he’d have some sort of weapon. Rolling her eyes she glared at him, ”I just told you I won’t be followed by a socially awkward silent gorilla, it wasn’t me asking you which way you wanted to act. I’ll find a way to ditch you if I need to.”

Swiftly she kept her tone businesslike as she listened to his questions and watched him studying her like she was some sort of puzzle or problem that he had to figure out. It made her feel both violated and excited at the same time. ”I tend to go shopping, or to parties, or if we have a weekend sport meet I’ll be going to that. Don’t think that you’ll be able to stop me from those activities either.”

Bestowing the large man with another silent glare she realized her slender build and tiny height probably made her look humorous to such a large intimidating man, but Louisa didn’t care. For some reason he was already on her nerves making her feel nervous as he simply watched her as she answered. Feeling herself snap under the tension after such a short time Louisa couldn’t keep her frustration from her voice. ” Will you at least show emotion or something you’re creeping me out!”

Grayson looked up at her and rose his large, slightly scarred hands in mock self-defense. "I apologize, Louisa. I'll do my best for you," he replied.

Then, the man snorted. Ditch me? Yeah, we'll see about that, he thought, shaking his head but not saying a word in response. When she replied to his question, he nodded in understanding, then laughed a bit, turning the nodding to a simple shake.

"I'm afraid you have my purpose misunderstood, Louisa. I've been assigned to protect you. As long as you're life isn't threatened, whatever you do is fine by me..." Grayson answered truthfully. Of course, he'll still be near her at all times; not that she would know.

Apparently, his stoic expression wasn't enough for her. Grayson quirked an eyebrow and sighed. Glancing at her, he upturned the corners of his mouth to give her an entirely fake, bad smile. He was capable of much better, but for now, this would work. "I apologize. I'm not used to it," he lied easily.

Louisa rolled her eyes again and grumbled under her breath. Of course he seemed to be barely able to create a bad fake smile, soldier that he was he seemed to be emotionless, hard and cold which served to only grate on her nerves more. She had no idea why she was reacting this way to him and it bothered her but she pushed that internal debate aside as she tried to center her attention on Grayson.

”Well get used to it,” She wasn’t truly trying to sound spoiled or mean but she didn’t care if she came off as that way. His acting like a cold perfect little soldier turned bodyguard would only serve to put her in a bad mood so she wanted him at least acting like a normal person. ”So what else do you need to know about me? I have to get to my dance practice within the hour.”

She looked around her sanctuary again and wondered again why her parents had saddled her with a bodyguard, through sixteen years she’d never had a problem but now it was a necessity. Giving a big sigh she turned back to look at Grayson, ”And where will you be staying in the house in case I want to go somewhere and need to find you?”

"Pretty much it. I'll find out everything I need to in time. But..." Grayson pushed himself off the tree and patted his pants, frowning slightly. "No phone. Must be in my bag. Anyway, I'll give you my phone number in a bit. And I want yours, if you have a cell phone."

Tightening the holster straps on his waist, he looked to Louisa. "That's up to your parents, I'm afraid..." he replied before waiting for her to leave so he could follow.

"Alright..." With a sigh Louisa stood up and brushed off her skirt hoping that nothing had stained the bottom. "I take that as your cue that you want us to go so you can get your bags and get settled into a room?" Shrugging she didn't even wait for an answer as she started off through the maze deliberately taking a different more twisiting and confusing route to exit the maze in the hope of confusing Grayson.

Louisa realized she was being petty but she wanted Grayson to feel the same frustration as she did. Finally she led him out of the green hedges and towards the front parlor and her father's study where she figured he'd left his bags and stepped into her father's office. "Daddy? Where are we supposed to house Mr. Taros?" Knowing it was best to use her bodyguard's surname around her father Louisa didn't feel like his getting mad at her for being 'familiar' with the hired help again. He'd already yelled at her over talking to the maids and cooks on a first name basis and she didn't feel like enduring it all again. She heard her father mumble without looking up from his work, "The room across the hall from yours, so he can keep tabs on you."

Hearing his muffled answer she stepped back out into the hall to wait for Grayson fuming at the nonchalant way that her father had told her she was going to have a babysitter for all practical purposes. Tapping her foot she also debated wether to tell Grayson her phone number or to make him figure it out after she showed him to his rooms.

Grayson smirked as he walked behind Louisa, seeing that she was attempting to frustrate and confuse him. However, he had a laser focus; she wouldn't lose him that easily. He quickened his pace, watching her turn the corner and listen intently for which direction she was going in.

Soon they made it back to the house, where they arrived at her father's study. He folded his hands behind his back as Mr. Caldiore replied almost incoherently. Grayson spoke with him for a few moments, then appeared before. "Lead the way, Louisa..." he said, gesturing down the hall as he gave her the smallest, most subtle of smiles.

As they went through the house, he picked up his bag at the door, silently thanking Peter before following the young woman.

Louisa ignored him as she heard his footsteps trailing after her throughout the Villa. Finding her way back to the main entrance hall and the grand staircase she led Grayson up and into the long hall full of guest rooms and finally leading down to the end, where her rooms were on the opposite side of the Villa from her parents’ rooms. Stopping she gestured at the door across the hall from her own as she leaned against her closed door.

”Your room is in there, put your stuff in while I go get changed and then you get to ride with me to my dance practice.” Louisa waited for him to open the door and watched his expression to see how he liked the large almost palatial sized room that he’d been given by her parents. ”They put you across the hall from me, so I’m in here.” She gestured behind her to her own door. ”It’s because they think it will be easier for you to keep me from sneaking out this way.”

Giving her opinion of that with a roll of her eyes Louisa turned and opened the door to her room. Stepping into her own chambers and quickly changing into her dance leotard, before pulling sweatpants and a tank top over the form fitting one-piece outfit Louisa finished changing inside of five minutes and went back out into the hall hoping she beat Grayson changing and could run down to the car as a test to see if she could ditch him.

Grayson opened the door to his room, glancing at Louisa before looking in. His eyes widened slightly in surprise; it was a larger room than he needed. Not that he was going to complain though. Walking in, he opened his bag on the large bed and took out a set of neatly-folded dress clothes, and a large knife with a black sheath, along with a few boxes of ammo.

He got dressed in the black suit, tying his tie with speed and precision before he slipped his handgun into the waistband of his pants, and hooked the blade onto his lower back. Grayson tested it to see if he could reach it easily; he could. However, the entire ensemble was a bit too much for his taste. It was much easier if he was wearing his other clothes.

Running a hand through his hair, he heard Louisa running down the hall in attempt to beat him. He sighed and left the room, his stride quickly reaching the front door of the house, where he saw Louisa. "Ready?" he asked casually, grabbing the keys to the car he was going to drive before getting in and waiting for her to enter, also.

Louisa gave another huff of annoyance as Grayson strode past her and to the car. Without looking at him she took the back passenger side seat of the black sedan as if he was simply her driver. ”Yes I am ready, you can take me to my dance lesson now.” Once again she knew she was letting him get to her, his actions driving her to act arrogant and spoiled and petty in her own right simply because she couldn’t yell at him or hit him for doing his job.

Occasionally she would give him directions to turn somewhere or take a different road if there was traffic or some other problem seeing as she knew the city better than he did. Other than those short bits of direction there was no conversation between them as Louisa sat staring out of her window waiting to arrive at her dance studio. The second Grayson stopped the car at the curb Louisa was out and rushing into the studio without a care about anyone else on the street calling out as she opened the door and rushed to the studio. ” We’re here, you don’t even have to get out, see”

Dancing was an outlet for her frustrations, one of the several she used to relax but at the same time be constructive and not destroy her life by turning to drugs or crime like she knew many others did. Stripping off her sweatpants and tank top Louisa followed the instructor as she led the class first in ballet. Later when the next class arrived Louisa did a hard driving hip hop style which relied on the sensuality of the moves and their coordination with the different dancing partners. The second class was always her favorite and she hoped that she was bothering Grayson in some way, though she wasn’t entirely sure why he mattered so much.

As Grayson drove through Rome, his eyes scanned and took in the architecture. Although he was on a mission, he still had a soft spot for beautiful buildings and statues. They finally arrived, with neither speaking at first. Louisa got out, telling him that he didn't need to follow, but he knew better than that. Shaking his head, Grayson got out and followed, walking into the premises.

The man leaned against the wall when the class began, and Grayson watched intently. He stayed silent as she danced, noting that she was a good dancer, but thought it was much too sensual for a girl of Louisa's age. However, it wasn't up to him of what she did, and so he continued to watch, his eyes subconsciously tracking her graceful movements.

Louisa finished the last movements of her dance and finally started to notice more than the dance floor and her dance partners. When she saw Grayson standing inside the studio watching her she flushed part embarrassment and part irritation, though she wasn’t sure why she was embarrassed and wondering if he thought she was good. Trying to shake her thoughts Louisa went to get dressed pulling on her tank top and sweatpants before walking over to Grayson. ”Have fun?” Her voice was snide as she tried to get under his skin.

She simply wanted to get out of there and go back home and take a shower. Her body was sore from the workout that she got when dancing, all of the stretches and fast movement truly took the energy out of a person and it had left her all sweaty. ”I need a shower…take me home Jeeves.” Giggling at her private little joke she walked outside in front of Grayson heading to the car.

When the young woman was done with her dance, Grayson let out a soft chuckle that only he could hear. She came over, attempting to tease him. And, not wanting to play the fool, he shrugged. "Eh," he mumbled noncommittally, as if he wasn't impressed. But, he was. Grayson thought she could have a future in that area.

The man walked back to the car with Louisa, laughing a bit when she called him Jeeves. With a prompt nod, he replied, "Right away, ma'am."

Driving home was less tiring, as he was already familiar with the route, and so he got there more quickly. Grayson got out, opening the car door for Louisa and followed her inside.

Slipping back into the passenger back seat Louisa watched the city roll past her window, the different sights and monuments passing as Grayson drove back to the villa. She enjoyed the drive just as she enjoyed it nearly every day when other drivers drove her through the beautiful city. The thought of living in or near another city never crossed Louisa’s mind, she believed that Rome was the most beautiful thing that anyone could see.

Finally when they arrived back home she left Grayson with the car and went back to her suites for her shower. Stripping from her dance clothes she stepped under the hot spray letting it wash down across her body, soothing her tired and aching muscles. Every day she did something, dancing, swimming, running that was active and exhausting. Her routine kept her in shape just as much as it kept her busy the way her parents liked it. With her busy she was out of their way, not under foot unless they wanted her around to learn something about business or management.

Loosing track of time Louisa let herself zone out and enjoy the hot spray as she washed herself slowly. After what seemed to her mind only a few moments but was nearly an hour she stepped out of the water, clean and refreshed as she dried her body, putting on a fluffy bath robe before twisting her dark hair up on top of her head and settling into her window seat to think about what she would do that evening.

Soon enough, Grayson was in his guest room, sitting at the edge of the bed. His suit was folded neatly on the bed, his shoes by the door. Currently, he was only in his boxers and the tight-fitting black shirt. He held his Compact in the right hand, checking the safety and the condition of the gun. He took out the cartridge from the bottom of the grip, checking the ammunition before pushing it back up, clicking it into place.

Suddenly he tensed his body and aimed at the window, looking down the sights with clear precision, narrowing his eye before pulling the trigger. It clicked. The safety was fine. He then moved onto the knife, which was laying by his side. He cleaned the edge and flipped it, twirling it once until the blade was downwards, then twirled it again, sheathing it securely. Tonight was going to be a long...

Finally it was late night and it seemed Grayson hadn't come to bother her even after she had skipped dinner snacking on the junk food that she'd stored in her room while she watched TV and read for her schoolwork. The moon was full overhead when Louisa decided the time was right for her to sneak out and proceeded to do so. Donning her club clothes, a tight form fitting short crimson velvet dress that hugged every curve of her body and stopped at her upper thighs was the main portion of her outfit. Pulling on a pair of mid-calf black platform boots that zipped on the side with decorative buckles across the front.

Grabbing a Jacket she pulled it on and opened her window, sliding out onto the trellis and climbing down to the ground level and taking off across the villa's ground and to the nearest major road. She knew that her friends would be waiting about half a kilometer away and she could be there in five minutes if she walked quickly. Ready for a night on the town Louisa was determined to reach her friends quickly so that she could let off some steam with a good party, dancing, and some drinking. Afterall she only had afternoon classes the next day with her swim team practices in the morning.

Meanwhile, Grayson tossed his knife and hand gun to the nightside, ready to get some shut-eye while he could. But he heard a noise. Within a second he brought out his weapon, steadying it quickly while he moved towards the window. Leaning against the glass, he saw someone moving down the trellis. But, when he realized that it was Louisa, Grayson sighed and chuckled. "Think you can pull one over on me, eh..?" he muttered, striding over to get dressed in his casual, putting on his cargo pants and snapping the holster of his gun and blade against his hip and lower back.

He then grabbed his cell phone, walking calmly down the hall until he got to the front door just as she left his field of vision. Grayson climbed into the car, not turning on the lights and began to drive, following Louisa carefully without getting noticed. He assumed that she was going to meet some friends, and he was right. She greeted them and left in a car, driving down the road towards Rome. Scoffing, Grayson followed them into the city until they arrived at a club. Stopping the car, he watched to see where they would go.

Finally they had reached the club and Louisa's friend got them inside. Apparently his cousin was a doorman and so her and the small group of girls that had decided to go out all slid through the door and into the warm club. The first things that registered to Louisa were the heat and the pounding thumping music which she could feel vibrating through the air and every solid surface that she touched. Her face breaking out into a grin she watched as her group of friends scattered heading for different points, she knew what table they would be at anyways and so she headed for the bar.

Though she was underage the club was an eighteen and over club, so simply because you were inside it was assumed you were of legal age to drink and that’s exactly what Louisa set out to do. Ordering several mixed drinks and a few shots she felt herself getting drunk as she waited at the bar, and as soon as the warm tingling buzz coursed through her she headed for the dance floor throwing herself into a group of boys and girls where she recognized two of her friends dancing. The second she stepped into the teeming mass she felt someone's hands grab her hips grinding onto her from behind and she chose to let herself go, grinding back rhythmically to the music.

Grayson crossed his arms and watched as Louisa walked into the club without trouble. He sighed, Security is fuckin' lax, isn't it? he thought to himself before getting out of the car, locking it securely before he checked his equipment. He decided to hide his gun and knife a bit better, and tossed the holster into the car, sliding the Compact in the back of his pants, covering it with his shirt. As for the knife, he strapped it under his arm, where it couldn't be seen.

Once he was done, Grayson walked across the street and came to the bouncer. "ID?" the man asked. Grayson nodded and slipped out his wallet, showing his identification before being let in.

The noise and warmth of the club reminded the older man of his days in Russia, when he went undercover for a high-ranking gangster before his untimely death. Walking to the bar, he ordered a glass of vodka before glancing around, scanning the area before he saw Louisa dancing. He narrowed his eyes at the close-distance and grinding, but did nothing. He wasn't here to interrupt her fun; only to protect. Once the glass arrived, he paid the bartender before vanishing into the crowd, finding a good vantage point where she couldn't see him.

Back
Top Bottom