Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An Unlikely Duo (DareToDream & RetroWitchcraft)

If they were only going to stay there a few days an abandoned farmhouse sounded like the perfect solution to both of their problems. Although she was sure that no one knew that she had lived there it was good to have a precautionary attitude about this all. Especially when her family had history with the newest sheriff. The slimy, filthy no good git.

"That is a surprisingly good idea," she replied with a grin. "Seeing how most of my living is earned from other people's good fortune I haven't really been outside of the city. You'll have to show me where this farmhouse is."

There were plenty of other things to think about as well. If they were going to be staying at an abandoned building then food was an issue. Neither had come equipped with any weapon that could be used in hunting. At least not effectively or safely and many of the animals that came out of the forest were monstrous beasts. Potable water was important, too.

"Do you remember if there is an old well on the property or not?" she asked.

He blinked when she spoke, unable to believe his ears. He was sure she’d turn him down, toss him aside like a piece of trash, wanting to rid this nuisance from her life. Heck, he wouldn’t have blamed her either since he’d done nothing but bring her bad luck since the moment he met her.

Turning, he gave her a mega watt grin. “I can do better than an old well. Try a well that pumped water into the house….hasn’t worked in forever I’m sure but with magic fingers…” He held up his hand and let his energy flare, causing sparks to fly from his finger tips. “Think steaming hot shower or bath…no more dirt for a little while at least…and fresh drinking water.”

Turning back towards the trail, he started walking again. “First, we’ll need supplies though…I had to leave all mine behind when I got chased. I have money though…perhaps if you can collect the supplies while I hole up somewhere, we can head out after dark?” A more sane man would suspect the thief would run off with his money the moment he handed it over but, for some reason, he trusted her. Probably had to do with the fact that she’d saved his life when she could have easily left him for dead.

"You can hole up in the farmhouse," she let him know. "All you have to do is show it to me once and I'll remember how to get back to it."

That was one of the things she had to develop skill in. A thief needed to be well aware of their surroundings. Whenever she did a heist or pick-pocketed someone, Marle always had several routes of escape planned. Most of the city's side streets and alleyways were also located safely in her head. She remembered directions fairly easy, since she was brought up learning how to runaway. If all else failed; run. Run fast to a designated safe spot to lay low until things cooled down. This was very similar to that. The farmhouse was the only place that the two could safely cloister and, so, it made it the most important thing for her.

"I can get some supplies no worries. It shouldn't take long; at the longest I'll be out a little after dark. I don't stick my neck out like this for many people so you should consider yourself lucky."

He considered her plan while he stared down the path, thinking of the town that was just beyond the edge of the forest. It was a risky proposition, sending his money with her while he stayed at the farmhouse – even though he trusted her, it was all the money he had – but in the end, he really had no choice, not if they were going to make a clean break from their pursuit.

“Alright, that sounds like a plan. Let’s get out of this forest so I can get my bearings and then I’ll take you to the farmhouse.”

With that, Kaevon started walking again, covering the last of the path in very short time. As he stepped from the trees, the brightness of the sunshine caused him to raise a hand to block out the glare. Glancing around, he looked both ways and then nodded to himself before setting off again. They’d come out closer to the farmhouse than he imagined and after only a few hour’s walk, he saw it.

“There it is” he said, pointing. The building was old and weary looking, its paint peeling and porch sagging. The windows were bare and the field around it overgrown, making it clear that no one had resided in it for years. Taking his coin purse out of his pocket, he tossed it to her. “I’ll meet you there once you have the supplies. Travel safe.” With that, he waved and headed out at a lope, eating up ground, wanting to get under the cover of the roof and out of sight.

Marle took in the surroundings that were on the way to the farmhouse. Key bits of terrain lodged into her memory for safe keeping. It was a good thing that the path to it was so clear cut but a goodly distance away from the city. Tracking her way back to the place would be very, very simple. When they got there she waved him off and, with a final look over her shoulder, went on her way.

Getting back was easy enough. There was plenty of travel on the main road and she easily slipped into a caravan on its way into the gates. Since there were so many people, none of the guards stopped her as they assumed she was part of it. From the gate she was able to make her way to her favorite stores. Even if she was a thief she did buy items most of the time. All the shop owners were, were people just trying to make a living and she disliked taking from people already scrapping to get by. Now people like the gentry, who had everything and still demanded more, she had no qualms with taking from.

The supplies were easily attained. No one gave her issues over this and she even got rumors of a rouge technomage, which made her grin and shake her head. Already people knew about her little friend. Oh well... at least the pair were going to be away from town for a few days and that gave the townspeople plenty of time to forget; rumors came and went quickly.

Finally she had everything she needed and was about to head out when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Instantly she was turned about.

As she scampered off, Kaevon made his way to the farmhouse, doing a quick reconnaissance of it first, making sure everything was exactly as he’d left it the last time he’d passed through. Once he knew the coast was clear, he slipped inside and found a spot where he could sit and wait. Settling down, he closed his eyes and dozed lightly, knowing it would be a while before she showed again.

The old woman perked up, unfolding from the refuse she’d been lying in, her head snapping to attention immediately and scanning her surroundings. A Sight had entered her mind, one that demanded her attention, but she couldn’t figure out why. Then she heard the voice, the soft voice of a woman negotiating nearby. Standing, she shook her body to rid it of banana peels, dirty trash, and other gross objects that clung to her and began to shuffle forward, brushing past everyone she came into contact with. Only one mattered now, the one she tracked.

As she rounded the corner of a building, she saw the woman emerge from it just ahead, a bulging pack slung over her shoulder. With surprising speed, the aging hag closed the distance, catching her just as she stepped out into the street, one shaking and bony hand reaching out to clamp down on her shoulder. Strength born of the Calling, she spun the waif of a woman around, bringing her face to face with the old hag’s toothless grin, a mad little cackle falling from her lips, accompanied by drops of spittle. Her eyes slowly slid over the thing standing in front of her, as if reading her aura which, in a way, she was. The Sight flared in recognition and the old woman nodded her head.

“Ah, yes, you are the one that I saw” she wheezed, fighting for breath. A cough wracked her body, then another, the last almost bending her over before the woman could continue. She reached out and ran grimy fingers over the woman’s cheek, tracing it lightly. “I see you” she said. “Up here, in me sight. You are…special…as is your…talented friend.” A toothy grin was flashed then followed by another cackle. “Grand things are in store for ye’, lass. Grand things.” Suddenly, her look grew serious and she gripped the woman’s shoulders hard. “Don’t ge’ killed, dearie. Many lives depend on it. Now get you back to your man. Danger stalks him. Head for Silverport as soon as you can or else.” With that, the old woman turned and began to shuffle away but after about ten steps she snapped back around. “Oh…best take the old smuggler trail out of town. Trouble waits for ye’ on the road.” And then she was gone, disappearing into the crowd, her vision complete.

What in the name of the gods?! Marle was taken back as she was spun around. By the power behind the movement, she assumed that the face greeting hers would be that of a guard. Instead a weathered and filthy face stared at her, eyes lifeless and devoid of the light of sanity. The thief cringed as the woman's grimy hands were placed on her cheeks. This woman was completely mad; Marle recoiled beneath the touch.

Something compelled the brigand to stay put as the caressing thumb of the hag left a smear of dirt on her cheek. The words she spoke were intriguing. It was not uncommon for those with the third eye to be wrong in the head and that made sense to Marle. She knew that she would go crazy having to see horror after horror nearly every day. Even if the Sight did not show anything too terrifying, knowing that much had to be mentally taxing.

A strange cold feeling crept down Marle's back as the crone went on. Of course she was vague. Details were loss on those of her kind, the Seers generally were unable to speak in more than ambiguous sentences. Still, this was more direct than most she had heard about. Special? Her? Well it was true that she was particularly talented in thievery as well as magic but she never imagined herself anything remarkable. A roll of her eyes met the old woman's comment about 'her man'. Honestly, just because she had saved the techno mage's life twice in the same day did not mean anything. The hag was reading too deeply into her own visions.

Finally she was let go of and the elderly, grime ridden woman scuttled off. Shockingly she issued a very concrete warning. The old smuggler's trail? It had been awhile since she used it but she remembered the way to it so the thief headed in the direction of it.

"Silverport?" she asked herself. That was a place she had never heard of and she wondered how far off it was. Certainly further than Sableshire, which was the small town she used to hide out in if things got too hairy. She'd have to ask Kaevon about it.

It was difficult to find her way to the farmhouse via the smuggler's road, however, and she eventually had to go back on the main. Being lost frightened her and she assumed that so far along she would not run in to any trouble.

Kaevon awoke from his slumber instantly, his body on full alert. Something was wrong but he didn’t know what. His body froze at an unspoken command, strung as tight as a wire on a fiddle. Listening carefully, he heard the whistle of the wind as it flowed through cracks in the house and the rustle of leaves just outside. What he didn’t hear though was the chirp of birds or the movement of animals, sure signs that trouble was afoot.

Moving quietly, he slid across the floor and stopped at a window, peeking out the edge. There was nothing out there, no movement that he could see, so he shifted again, this time moving to the other side and the window that was there. Lifting up, he let his gaze roam, sweeping back and forth. He was just about to pull away when he saw it, a flash of white among some branches just inside the edge of the forest. Fear drove a spike through his heart and his heart began to beat rapidly but then he pulled inward and pressed that fear deep.

He’d lived most of his life on the run, slipping from place to place, and he was no fool. An escape route had already been mapped out for the farmhouse his first time through and it was there he headed now. Slipping into the basement, he found the cellar door at the back of the house and exited through it, darting into the woods as quickly as he could. Once among the foliage, he hunkered down and listened more, soon identifying movement near the front side of the house. Grinning, he slipped deeper into the woods, circling behind the noise until he could see the road in sight. That’s when he saw the Tracker, a man who used magical means to find their quarry. Where he was, others would be; clearly the human mob had found him again. Groaning, Kaevon slipped deeper into the woods, moving parallel to the road, hoping to find his little friend before the others did. He’d traveled for some time when he finally saw her, slipping down the road with a full pack on her back. Darting from the woods, he wrapped an arm around her waist and one over her mouth and dragged her backwards. “Shhhhh” he whispered urgently in her ear. “There’s a Tracker at the farmhouse and others on the road. We have to get away from here.”

What she had not been expecting was a hand clamped tightly over her mouth. For a moment she thought that this was the danger that the old hag spoke of. But the whisper in her ear belonged to Kaevon. The warning he issued was chilling and she swore beneath her breath. How could she have not thought of trackers?! Certainly that bastard of a sheriff had them in his repertoire of different types of spell casters. Then again even if she had known of them, there was no way that she could have covered their tracks magically and still made it out of the forest alive.

Gently she pulled his hand away from her mouth and turned around in his arms. If she hadn't been so drained then facing the tracker head on would have been their best course of action. With her power zapped for the day and no old technology around for him to work his magic with, escaping was their only option.

Worry shone in her violet eyes a moment. How where they going to get out of there? Then it hit her. The old smuggler's road lead from city to city and was almost completely unknown. If they were lucky, they could possibly avoid him by that means. Especially if no magic was used. Without saying any words she simply took his hand. Her body was going to despise her and once they got to a place where they could finally rest. She wanted to break out in a run that looped around the farmhouse to put them at the point in the smuggler's road where she was before but all her legs could do was move at a moderate clip to show him the way.

"Duck down whenever I say to duck down," she informed him in whispered. "We may have to crawl through the higher grass near the farm. It will provide cover."

She tugged on his arm to indicate he should hurry.

He knew that he risked bodily injury but startling her like that but Kaevon had needed to get her off the road rapidly and with as little noise as possible so he did. When she reacted more calmly than he’d expected and turned around in his arms after removing his hand, he let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. As he stared at her a moment, the realization that they were staring at each other from mere inches, one arm still wrapped around his waist, his heart started beating faster. Under different circumstances, he might have chosen to be a flirt and steal a quick kiss from his companion but he knew, without a shadow of a doubt, he would be disemboweled if he tried that right now. Still, though, he couldn’t help but quirk a silly little grin and take in her features from up close.

The moment didn’t last long though as she shifted and took his hand in hers and whispered to him. Instead of answering with words, he simply gave a nod, still grinning, and headed off behind her as she led the way. They wound their way through the forest, wandering aimlessly as far as he could tell though he knew she must have had a purpose, and soon they were nearing the farmhouse. The trackers were out there, he could sense their magic at use, though he couldn’t see them so when she said to duck down, he ducked. The ground was damp and dirty, the moisture soaking into the knees of his pants and the dirty coating his hands, but he didn’t complain. It was a slow process and anyone paying close attention might have seen the blades of grass moving as larger objects crawled through them but thankfully no one did and they soon arrived back in the forest and continued their journey. Twice he paused as they walked, sensing something, but neither time he could pinpoint it so they continued until they finally came out onto an overgrown path and stopped. Looking around, he tugged her hand and whispered. “An animal trail?” That’s what it looked like to him at least.

If she could have avoiding crawling through the muck she would have. She was grateful for the leather outer robe she wore, however. Mud and slim could easily be wiped from the treated material and it did not let any nastiness get on the parts she had covered. Her fingerless gloves were soaked through with filth, however. No matter. She would just ditched them at the earliest their situation allotted for. That was a long way off; it would not do to leave behind a trail.

When they cleared the tall grass and were closer to the line of the forest, she pulled herself up. Although they had just met one another a few hours ago she knew he was going to follow suit. Whatever she did or told him to do, he did. Clearly he understood that she knew one or two things about avoiding capture. Any good thief did, really. That was how they avoided getting tossed in jail.

"Nope," she said as they began to follow the thinning trail. This far out it did resemble little more than a goat path. "This was once a smuggler's road. Not many people know about it anymore."

In its heyday not many people knew about it. It would not be a very effective smuggling route is everyone did know. Marle's family, however, had connections to it like the had connections to every other bit of criminal history in that area.

"We should be as safe as possible on this trail. I don't know if animals come up this way or not though. Its been awhile and I tend not to dawdle in places that can get me bloody killed."

She wasted no time continuing their progress, her steps sure-footed and swift, taking them away from the farmhouse and the danger that waited for them there; the words came as they walked. A smuggler’s road? In all of his wanderings he’d never heard of such a thing but that didn’t surprise him. He didn’t exactly associate regularly with the sort of people that would need a hidden path to move from city to city nor had he ever walked it himself. From the state of the road itself, it was clear that it hadn’t been regularly used in quite some time.

“I’m all for being safe” he said in answer, keeping the comment light, trying to draw out a smile. “Being around you has turned out to be quite dangerous” he add, chuckling softly. They both knew the problem had been him of course but he was in the mood to tease so he did.

They traveled silently for a bit, both moving along as quickly as their tired, aching bodies could carry them and as far as he could tell, there’d been no pursuit. Occasionally there was the snapping of branches off to the side or the odd rustling of leaves but nothing ever revealed itself so if any animals used the road, they didn’t make their appearance that day. After a while, he could only take so much silence and it was high time he learned a little bit about this companion of his. “So…” he started, kicking a rock out of the way “just how exactly did you come to live the high life of one who….acquires….things” he asked. Tact had never been one of his strong suits but he could try to be diplomatic for her.

Marle was exhausted. The trip along the old road was simple enough. The path was not overgrown and no animals approached them while they were on it. If she had not been so tired she would have noted the particularly lush forests around them and the delightful silence, save for the occasional sound of a cracking twig. Instead she noticed how weary her muscles had become. Each step forward was an automated churn of legs that just about had enough. Her breathing was heavy from a mixture of the extremes she was pushing her body and from nagging hungry that twisted her insides.

"Thieving is something my family has done for generations," she explained through a yawn. "You don't have to beat around the bush, neither. I'm not a high class woman who gets offended when people are direct.

But what about you? You don't look like much of anything. What did you do before the sheriff caught on that you're a techno mage?"

Grinning, he listened to her answer, liking the fact that she wasn’t full of herself like some people he’d met in his wanderings. This was a woman that knew who she was and had come to grips with that a long time ago. There was something to be said for that.

“Don’t worry” he murmured. “I hadn’t planned on treating you like royalty. I mean, just look at you. Definitely not royalty.” He chuckled as he said it, his hand sweeping over her mud covered, battered body, so she’d know he wasn’t completely insulting her. Besides, he looked just as bad so she was in good company.

Hearing her yawn, and feeling the same fatigue in his bones that she did, he began scanning the vegetation around them, looking for a likely place to camp for the night. He spoke as he did. “I’m not much of anything. Been wandering all my life. This gift of mine....it’s more like a curse. Everyone wants a piece of me and all I want is to be left alone. So I move from city to city, doing odd jobs, sometimes running for my life. That’s how I ended up with you.” Seeing a large stand of trees off in the distance, on sloping ground, he grinned. “We should stop for the night, get some rest and eat something. Those trees look like they offer good shelter.”

"That doesn't sound like much of a way to live," she commented. "Whelp. You're stuck with me now. At least for awhile, so I guess you have a bit of solidarity in your life now."

When the words came out of her mouth they sounded cheesy and almost insincere. The truth was is that she wasn't exactly sure how to feel about everything. Her way of life had been completely turned upside-down. In one felled swoop he had managed to make her an outlaw with him... at least more of a criminal than she was. The prophecy from the Old Seer didn't help any either. It made her feel as if she was predestined for all of this hooey and had no choice; as if her life was completely forfeit to another being's ultimate design.

Yet she could not help but feel excited. This was something completely new and extraordinary. How many people could say they were going to go on an adventure with a real life Techno Mage? And what an odd combination they were! Although she was tired, a smile cracked across her face.

She considered his idea. Camping out was dangerous at that time but she didn't see how they both could go on in the condition they were in. Exhaustion was sending her muscles into horrid cramps and she had to fight to keep her eyelids open even as she was moving.

"I think you may be right. Lets thistle down and get something in our stomachs at the very least."

A smile graced his face when she agreed to take a rest and so he headed off the path, heading for the copse of trees he’d seen. They were both exhausted and something told him they would need their wits, not to mention their magical strength, to survive whatever fate might have in store for them. The trackers might or might not have picked up their trail at the farmhouse, and if they did it would just send them back towards town at first – following the path she’d taken when she got them supplies – so they had a little bit of time. That, of course, assumed everything happened the way he though and he’d learned a long time ago that wasn’t often the case.

“I can’t say that I’m all that displeased to be stuck with you for the moment” he said, glancing at her slyly out of the corner of his eye. “After all, I could have gotten stuck with a companion who was a damn sight uglier than you and smelled like the rear end of a skunk after a bad meal.”

He reached the trees not to long after that, pushing his way in under the branches until he emerged into a little glade. Something had told him this would be the perfect place to rest and he’d been right. Dropping to the ground, he groaned and stretch his arms and back before flopping down into the grass. “Man, my feet are killing me. Plop down and take a load off. You can tell me about your visit to town while we eat.”

Marle followed him, not saying a word. Frankly she was pleased that he had taken the reigns for a little while. It felt good not to think about things, even if it was only for a brief moment. When they came to the clearing and he lifted up the branches for them to pass, she let out a slight gasp. The glen was beautiful. The setting sun still managed to brightly light up the area in orange and yellow light. The green grass was plush and she flopped down on it, swinging her backpack up on her stomach before she crushed it beneath her weight.

"There isn't much in the way of chow," she explained to him. Before digging into the bag she peeled off her mud incased gloves. Slender fingers fluttered before she undid the buckle keeping the flap over the opening. Since it was packed so full, two bags of moderate size tumbled out. Those were strategically placed at the very top so they'd do just that. "One is full of beef jerky and the other is filled with nuts and dried fruits. Its good travelling food and should tie us over until we find a town."

With a great amount of effort she turned on to her side to look at him.

"That is true. There are worse people than either of us out there and, really, you're not as bad as I though you'd be. Not that anyone would blame me. With you bleeding all over my carpet in all."

A wry grin crossed her full lips, showing off a deep dimple on either cheek. She sat up and let her hood down, finally revealing her hair as it tumbled down in honey brown waves; golden bits showing here and there in the mass of curls.

He let the warm softness of the grass lull him into a relaxed state as he watched her plop down. One look and he knew he had done well with the glen, a fact that seemed to please him far more than it should have. It couldn’t be helped though; he liked to see the look of wonder on her face and hoped to see more of it during their journey. Running his fingers through the grass, he watched as she unpacked her pack, pulling out two bags.

“That’s awesome! Just the perfect kind of food to fuel our bodies without slowing us down while we walk; you did good.” He was experienced when it came to trail foods, finding himself eating on the road pretty constantly, but he still liked her choices, especially the nuts. He’d always had a hankering for nuts, though he had no idea why.

When she turned over to face him, he took in her grin, his gaze tracing those full lips of hers, getting lost in them. It wasn’t until she let her hair down though that he realized just how pretty she was and his eyes widened in shock which he quickly covered with a chuckle. “Yes, well, that does tend to happen when one is chased and attacked by angry mobs. I’m just glad you chose to heal me instead of slamming a knife into my chest.” Leaning forward, his fingers found a strand of her hair and twirled it for a second, a smile on his lips. “I had no idea you were quite so…attractive..” he murmured. “Makes me look like a squirmy little grub.”

Though she was not one for admitting such things, she was happy that she had not tossed a knife at him either. This sort of adventure could not have been done without him. Grinning like an idiot, she considered to tell him of what the Seer had told her back in the city, but she was drawn away from that line of thought when his fingers wrapped around a curl. He likely felt a surprisingly smooth and soft texture for curls. Instantly her face became hot when he mentioned how he found her attractive.

"I've always looked this way," she told him quickly. "I don't think I'm any better than a lot of the other girls in my town."

She wondered if blush had crept across her cheeks or if the beat of her heart could be heard. These sorts of situations had always been awkward for her. No matter how many times someone told her she was attractive, she always sputtered and acted as if it was the most ridiculous thing in the world. Good looks weren't as important in thievery as other things so, really, she didn't see them as an asset. If anything having distinctive features, like her eyes for example, only lead to being easily being identified.

"Um, anyway... I met a seer while in the city. She told me some interesting things if you want to hear about them."

A tiny little smile crept across his lips when he saw her reaction to his compliment, her face turning ruby red with embarrassment. Quick to deny it was his little companion but words meant nothing when he could see the very evidence before his eyes. Dropping his hand, letting the fingers barely caress her cheek as it fell away, he smiled a little wider. His gaze studied her, taking in the soft curve of her cheeks, enjoying the way the color lit them up.

“Aww, look, that blush of yours actually adds to your beauty” he said, teasing her. “As for being better, I think you’re totally wrong. You’re by far the loveliest creature I’ve encountered in all my journeys.” He grinned then, letting her know that he was being partially silly just to tease her.

When she continued, he flopped back into the grass and closed his eyes, his interest perking up. “Seer? Yes, I think I’d like to here all about that. I’ve seen them before but never had a personal encounter with one.” He wondered what the odds were that she would talk to one not to long after meeting up with him. More importantly, though, he wondered how what she’d heard would affect them. Suddenly sitting up again, he faced her. “Ok, tell me all about it” he said, tossing a few nuts into his mouth.

Silver tongued men always had a broken heart in every city. A wry little smile crossed her lips as he continued to dote on her beautiful, touching the smooth skin of her cheek as he spoke. Marle was still embarrassed by the attention, however, but attempted to blow it off as if it were nothing.

"Well, I was making my rounds for supplies..." she went off in how she was approached by the woman and told him almost exactly what she had said. She did neglect to tell the techno mage about a certain turn of phrase the woman used to describe him. After all what sort of rubbish was it that he was Marle's 'man'. Finally she finished off with, "so, I guess that means we're on an adventure of sorts, huh? Who would have guessed something like that?"

((cruddy reply is cruddy ))

Kaevon listened intently as his pretty companion spoke, all teasing set aside so he could focus. She spoke at length, detailing her tiring trip into town and how she’d spent most of his money, but when she mentioned the seer, his ears perked up. Leaning forward, his soft hands braced on his knees, he listened even more intently. An occasional head nod and a “hmm” sound let her know she still had his attention but otherwise he contributed nothing, wanting to let the tale play out first.

When she was done, he closed his eyes, replaying the conversation word for word a second time, making sure he hadn’t missed anything. Finally satisfied, he opened his eyes and gazed at her in wonder. “I can’t believe you met a seer!” he blurted out. “I mean…er….I always wondered what one would sound like.” Laughing at his own reaction, he grew serious again. “Her warning…it sounds ominous….Silverport is a coastal town..about five days away from here by foot. Got its name because it used to be the favored port for silver miners bringing their loot from Scarsland to here.” As a wanderer of sorts, he picked up all kinds of lore in his travels, and he’d even been to the port a time or two. It was a bit rough and tumble. “Not exactly a tourist town” he added. “Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, are you sure you want to stay with me?” There was no doubt in his mind he was heading there now, not when it sounded so fun. Of course, Kaeven wasn’t the logical safe sort most of the time but he suspected his pretty friend was quite the opposite.

There was nothing much left for her in the city they just left. Everything of interest had already been stolen by her and hocked or kept as a souvenir. It was foolish of her to think that she could return to her home after a few days; with so many purloined items inside of that small cubby hole the entrance was going to be watched like a hawk. The girl hardly had any friends. For the most part she disliked people and the few friends she had made were those she hardly got to see anyway.

She took a handful of nuts and shoved them into her mouth, chewing noisily as she considered him carefully. This was what she was meant to do, wasn't it? Going against the prophecy of a seer was foolish. Events always managed to happen anyway. If she disagreed to go now then there would be a happening that would force her hand and she'd end up going anyway.

Besides, she quite liked the prospect of adventure. What was life without the promise of danger and peril? She'd much prefer an exciting existence compared to one that was peaceful and boring.

"You do realize I am a thief, right? If anything I would fit in better than you, with the way you're describing it, it sounds like you're a little afraid." she grinned at him. "I'm sure I want to go with you. Adventure is much better than being a two-bit fingersmith at any rate."

He watched as she mulled it over, imagining that he could even see the wheels spinning within her head. When she finally spoke, a tension he hadn’t realized he’d felt slowly eased, bringing with it a sense of satisfaction, though he couldn’t say why. He studied her for a moment, considering his response, but before the thoughts could form the hair on the back of his neck stood high. He froze instantly, his eyes scanning the area behind her, and when he saw the movement, his gaze widened.

Without missing a beat, his hand moved like a flash of lightning, drawing her knife that he carried and throwing it. The blade whizzed past her face without a sound, zipping through the air as it sought what he’d found, stopping only when it had met its mark. With a solid thunk followed by an explosive hiss, the knife caught the cobra-like snake in its throat, pinning it to the trunk of a tree. The hideous creature began to thrash its body to and fro, trying to escape its certain death, its wickedly long forked tail slicing blades of grass with each sweep it made.

Another product of nature and magic, the cobracon was one of the worst. What started out as an innocent little black snake had morphed into a vicious cobra-like poisonous monstrosity, whose single bite could kill a human in a slow agonizing way. Staring at it for a moment then back at her, he cocked his head. “Scared? Not at all. I’ve been taking care of myself since I’ve been old enough to drive – if cars had existed back then – but I’m not stupid. Silverport is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced and a description simply won’t do it justice. You’ll just have to see it for yourself. I’d be careful who you pickpocket….you might find the results….quite unsatisfying.” He stood then, moving to the now dead snake and retrieving his knife, which he cleaned with a swipe on the ground. “I’m thinking we should move on before something else decides you might taste rather nice.”

The blade had just missed nicking her cheek as it soared past her; the hair from the force he threw it at ruffling a curl or two out of place. A few seconds passed as she fought the urge to start a verbal battle with him and, when she was about to succumb to the desire, he hiss stopped her head. Furious violet eyes turned to confusion and she turned to her head in the direction of the noise. A strange sort of howl escaped her throat and she jumped back, nearly knocking in to him. She watched as he walked up and made sure the snake was dead. Even when it was deceased it thrashed about; curled and uncurled and she backed away even further from it.

"I hate snakes!" she said through clenched teeth. This was one of the few things that bothered her. Bugs didn't frighten her like they did most women. She didn't mind getting her hands dirty either. Most magically modified animals didn't truly terrify her. "And that one was super charged! Gross! Gross! Bloody gross!"

Frankly Marle did not care what the city was like or how rough and tumble the people were. All she wanted to do was get as far away from the writhing corpse of the snake. When he mentioned about leaving, she scrambled towards the direction they came faster than expected.

"Lets get the hell out of here!" she exclaimed.

Back
Top Bottom