Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Unrequited Love (closed for punkrockartist91 and Josu_T)

Lyndsy went down the stairs and opened the door to their apartment. The smell of food made her stomach rumble again. "Well?" Guin asked, pulling the garlic bread out of the oven, turning it off as the alfredo finished cooking. Lyndsy slid into a stool that was facing the kitchen so she could watch her blonde friend work her magic in the kitchen. "Its a guy, his name is Ryan. He just moved in, I think." She paused and put her elbows on the top of the table, putting her chin in them so it would hold up her head. "I think he's blind. He was wearing sunglasses." Guinevere gave a slight nod. "Well, maybe, maybe not. Maybe he's a criminal and he didn't want you to see his face." She smirked at her and Lyndsy gasped. That might be why, too. Oh no! He could be a murderer!

Frowning deeply, she looked at her friend. "I'm kidding, Lyndsy. He probably is blind." She said, making her feel better as she finished up dinner. Within a few moments, a plate was set in front of her and she smiled. "Don't pay too much attention to it, he's probably a nice guy." Lyndsy nodded and ate. The rest of the night was quiet, they finished eating and Guin did her homework while she tried to finish her painting for class.

Over the next couple of days Rick kept to himself. He made his meals and he enjoyed his time off. He practices his guitar by playing more of his favorite music. He also worked on writing some new songs. It was the first time he was doing that on his own. He had always worked closely with his friends on new music. He wanted to try it on his own and he had some inspiration for a few different songs. It was a few days later when his first outside plan was set. In the afternoon he pulled out his second instrument case and left his apartment with it. He walked a few blocks away and went into a building.

Rick met with a few people there and discussed with them what they were doing that evening. Rick was quite happy. His new companions pulled out their instruments and Rick quickly opened his case and assembled his own instrument. He quickly got it in tune and then he and the others just played around a bit. Rick really enjoyed himself. Few people knew this side of him. He was in a large cafe that had live music. It was empty at the moment and he was with one of the bands that played there a lot. It was a jazz band and Rick had his tenor saxophone. He was going to be joining the band for the night and a few other nights during his vacation. His secret was that he really loved jazz and he loved playing his saxophone. He had been playing it for most of his life and he was quite good. He had explained to the band that he was on vacation and didn't want it known he was there. They seemed to understand.

What Rick didn't expect was that somehow one of the staff at the cafe had learned he was going to be there and had started passing that information around the neighborhood. They didn't know what instrument he was playing, so the information was simply that Rick Willis was joining the band at the cafe. Some people that heard about it didn't know who he was and didn't care. Others just didn't care. A few people that heard did care and they passed the information on to some of their friends.

Guin was sitting in the kitchen, talking on the phone to some billing company's about their cable and internet bill. Once she hung up the phone, she wasn't even able to put the phone down fully before there was a shriek from Lyndsy's room. Looking up, she noticed a brown and pink blur rush towards her and then a phone shoved into her face. "Look!" She said excitedly. No matter how hard she tried to read it, the phone was way too close to her face. "What is it?" She questioned before the phone was pulled away from her face. "Its a text! One of the girls in my Art History class texted me and told me that Steven told her that Rick Willis is playing at the cafe a few blocks down. We have to go see him!"

This made green eyes roll. "Fine, you can go. Have fun." Turning in the stool, she went back to filling out the billing information. "But, Guin...I think he likes you, you should totally meet him." This made her scoff and snort. It was very unlady like. "I doubt a famous rock star likes me. He probably thought I looked like a past girlfriend or something." Lyndsy punched a few buttons on her phone before she spoke again. "Come on..please! I'll buy you you're favorite cinnamon chai latte with whipped cream..." Those damn puppy eyes again.

"Fine. But only for my latte." Lyndsy smiled and hugged her. But she was going as she was. She didn't care. Her blonde hair was straight and her bangs were pinned up out of her eyes and sat in a small puff like state on the top of her head. When she woke up this morning, she had been too lazy to put her contacts in, so her black rimmed glasses framed her face. Natural make-up was applied to her face, not too much neutral eye shadows, black liner and mascara set off her lazy look. She wore a pair of light blue jeans, tennis shoes and a Beatles t-shirt. Honestly, she didn't care what she looked like. But obviously Lyndsy did. It took about a half an hour before the girl was ready to go.

They decided to walk to the cafe, it was a nice night and it wasn't that late either. When they arrived, there was a good bit of a crowd there. Lyndsy met up with the girl who texted her about the event and Guinevere was pulled into the cafe where people surrounded the band that was playing. Why she ever got bribed into things like this was beyond her. There was just too many people in one place for her. But she kept her breathing at bay as she went over to get her drink, not caring if Lyndsy paid or not. She'd defiantly get another one before she left, though. Hearing the band play, she waited for her drink and met Lyndsy as she pushed her way through people to get to her. Somehow, the girl ended up sneaking into the front row and she growled at the annoyance of it. Now she had no choice to listen to the music that was playing. But it wasn't his normal music, no. It had a blues sound to it. Jazz almost. Looking up, she held the steaming cup in her hand and listened a little before turning her head to the squealing fan girl at her side.

Rick spent his afternoon at the cafe hanging out with the band and just having a good time. They played some music, practiced a little, and enjoyed a great meal provided by the cafe. This was just what he had wanted and just what he had been hoping for with his vacation. He didn't want to stay in his room all day. He loved playing music and he loved performing. He was looking forward to a nice quiet evening with the band and the atmosphere of the cafe.

When the cafe opened for business Rick put on his sunglasses. He hoped it might be enough to avoid recognition. The place started to fill up slowly. Then even more people showed up. He looked at the band, a little confused. "Is this how it always is in here?" They said it wasn't. He quickly realised it was likely because of him. He found the owner, but the man didn't care. He was happy with all the extra business. Rick realised he would just have to deal with it. He got himself ready and decided to just have as much fun as he could.

When it was time for the band to start playing Rick joined them on the small stage in the corner. He didn't stay at the front, he was jsut part of the group. He saw the people out there clearly watching the band. He realised they would likely be a little disappointed if they were expecting some sort of concert from him. He wasn't going to play any of his normal songs. He told the band to just ignore any distractions and they started to play. Blues and jazz started up and they just had a good time with it. For the first few songs Rick just played along with the melody. He wanted to be a normal part of the group.

Around half way through the first set they started a song that was typically drien by the tenor sex. Rick just went with it and took the lead on that song. He closed his eyes and just focused on the music. Part way through he got a solo. He went on and improvised the way he had for years with his school jazz band. He had spent a lot of time working on his improvisation and learning how to come up with something in the middle of a song that fit with the style. At that moment he was extremely happy. He wasn't playing and performing for his fans, he was playing for himself and his band members. When his eyes opened and the solo ended he spotted the blond girl from the concert. He nearly missed a note, but he continued to play. He saw Lyndsy next to her, which explained why she was there. Once again she showed she was a good friend. He hoped he might get a chance to talk to her at some point that evening.

The crowd was quiet as they played. Since it wasn't a huge stadium full of thousands of fans but just a medium sized cafe, they chose not to make a commotion. When the songs played, they swayed to the blue grass sounding music. It was quite different than the music he normally sang. A good change of pace though, most would say. Guin stood in the crowd, sipping on her latte quietly and carefully. Lydnsy had gone off with one of her classmates to get something to drink.

Atleast it wasn't the music she was used to listening to. She didn't normally listen to jazz, but it didn't sound that bad. It wasn't like she didn't like Rick. His voice was nice and he was handsome. She just didn't like the music they played. She had her opinion, like he said, she had every right to it. Why she ended up coming to his concerts the last two times, she had no explanation. Only the fact that she was a sucker for puppy dog eyes. Especially when Lyndsy did so. It was probably the brown eyes.

Glancing up, she noticed how into the music he was. Like it spoke to him on higher levels. Much like therapy. When he opened his blue eyes, she looked up at him. Her green blew blinking behind her glasses. She could deal with this kind of music. Atleast for now. She wasn't too keen on listening to jazz, so she could mostly listen to a song or two before having to switch to a different genre. But it was good and she could deal with this for now.

Rick was really glad that the crowd didn't get out of hand. He knew they were there for him and he had been scared of them not liking his jazz. He didn't care about his reputation, but he did care about some sort of incident caused by them. He didn't want to be responsible for anything bad happening. Their behavior was one of the keys to him relaxing and completely enjoying playing the music. A few songs later they were ready to end the first set. They finished it off with a fun song that was less jazzy and more popular song. Those who knew music of that sort would know it as "Sing, sing, sing" It was very upbeat and easy to dance to. Difficult to play though because of the speed. Still, they made it through and had a great time with it. The alto sax player had pulled out his clarinet for just that song. They lacked the number of people playing to make it really good, but Rick was pleased with it.

After the song finished the band put their instruments down and made their way off stage to get some water. Rick stayed up on stage for a moment and let the others go. He then stepped down from the stage and started to sign some autographs for the people who had come to see him. He knew he couldn't just ignore them. He would work harder to make sure it didn't happen again during his vacation. He smiled politely and took off his sunglasses, realising he didn't need them. He left them on top of his head. He didn't realise that by having them where Lyndsy might see them could lead to her recognising him as the guy living in the apartment above hers.

Lyndsy soon found Guin while the song was still playing, promising to buy her one of her drinks before they left. They remained silent while listening to the music that was being played. Some people were actually moving to the beat, either tapping their feet or moving their heads from side to side. Guinevere looked up right before the song ended, and then watched as the band got off stage. They weren't the band members that she had seen last night. So they must be friends. Taking another few sips of her delicious drink, she watched him closely as we waited patiently for the others to leave before he did. He was polite. Raising an eyebrow, she would of lifted her drink back up to her lips but Lyndsy's jumping made it near impossible to take a drink.

"Wasn't that great?" She asked excitedly, happy to be here to see one of her favorites musicians. She then realized that she didn't know anything about him but the music he played. "It wasn't so bad." She stated simply. And then there was silence. Looking over at her friend, she noticed she was staring directly at Rick. "You okay? What's wrong?" Maybe it was some miracle, maybe she suddenly the bubbly girl didn't like their music anymore. But that wasn't the case. Shaking her head, Lyndsy didn't say anything and smiled at the blonde. "Its nothing, wanna go talk to him?" Guin shook her head. "Not really," but the was dragged anyway. With a somewhat irritated sigh, she was dragged through the crowd and waited patiently at the end of the line where people were asking for autographs around the rock star they loved so much.

Rick looked at each person that came up to him for an autograph. He smiled and signed whatever item or piece of paper it was that they wanted him to sign, only making sure that there were no crazy things like someone trying to get him to sign a contract without looking. He also would not sign any body parts, no matter how innocent the part they asked him to sign might seem. It was his own personal rule. He wasn't in music so he could see women naked or sleep with a different groupie every night. He was glad he wasn't yet famous enough to have too many crazy groupies.

When he saw Lyndsy and her friend a few people back in line he smiled. He didn't realise that he rushed through the people in front of them just a bit. They still got their autograph and a few words with him, but not the same as some of the people before them. He smiled happily at the two girls as they reached the front of the line. "Hey, it is great seeing you two here." He looked at Guinevere. "I hope this music might be more to your liking. Might not be as polished as my other stuff, since I only met these guys today, but it is fun." His gaze returned to Lyndsy. "What do you think?"

Guinevere shrugged slightly. "Its not so bad." She didn't want to mention that it was better than his own stuff. She had no intention of her being rude. It just wasn't her. But she smiled sweetly at him nonetheless. It was a smile that seemed to brighten up her features instantly. "Congratulations though. You seem to have quite the turn out." She did notice that he had sped up having his little autographs once he looked their way. Lyndsy jumped up and down excitedly. "I liked it. Even though I have no interest in that kind of music what's so ever." She grinned childishly up at him, admiring him as her favorite musical artist.

Guin watched Lyndsy as she looked up at the rock star and smiled behind her cup of chai tea. She had never seen Lyndsy so excited before. It was good for her. Maybe she'd calm down now about this whole meeting situation. "I didn't know you played Jazz music." She stated, holding the cup of steaming, white hot chocolate in her hand. Some of the fans around them were giving them odd looks, like they were mad that they were talking to Rick Willis instead of ogling over him from afar. It was weird. Guin was getting uncomfortable. She didn't like too many people in one place and she definitely didn't like the looks she was receiving. She was already shaking, but she wasn't going to be rude and leave her best friend like that. Especially since it was getting late and there were criminals outside, no matter how safe this part of town was. She didn't trust people she necessarily didn't know.

Rick's smile faded a little when she talked about the turn out. He laughed a little at Lyndsy's comment and actions. That brought the smile back right away. He didn't notice anything about the other people around that bothered him. He was happy to just be talking with the two girls at the moment. The others had their autographs. He shrugged and then nodded. "I have loved jazz and played jazz since I was really young. Much longer than I have played rock. As for the turn out, someone somewhere found out and told people. I had nothing to do with it." From where he was he saw the band heading back onto the stage. He looked at the girls again and smiled. "Well, it was really nice seeing both of you again. I need to get back up there. We have a second set to play. If you stick around I hope you enjoy it." He put his sunglasses back on over his eyes and smiled at them one last time before he turned and went back up on stage. On of the band members had brought him a glass of water. He thanked them and drank it quickly, then got himself ready for the second set of songs.

Back
Top Bottom