Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

an officer (gentleman?) and the lady ( picklechiffon and wolvenrogue)

As Robert went to get aboard the train, he felt a little dizzy. It was a feeling he had never felt before, and it made him uncomfortable. He shook it off and helped his now sleepy wife onto the train and to the bed where she could rest her now obviously pregnant body. He was glad for the excuse to lay down with her and rest. He refused to acknowlege badhe was feeling at the moment, and would not have Elizabeth worrying about him. he took off his guns and boots, and removed his coat. He climbed onto the bed, and curled up with Elizabeth, certain he would feel better with a few hours rest.

Robert woke a couple hours later and felt as though his left arm had gone to sleep. It ws tingling and numb. He rolled over and waited for it to recover assuming that he had cutoff his circulation and it would recover soon. He laid ther 20 minutes more, but the problem did not go away. He tried to move his arm, but it lay limp at his side. Worse he could feel the tingling moving high up his left shoulder.

Elizabeth woke and spent the morning bustling about. Robert, seemed fairly docile looking out the window of the car they were in. She made some coffee, and brought him a cup, gently kissing his cheek as she did so. It was then she caught sight of his forlorn expression.

“What is wrong my love?” She asked gently as she sat down in the armchair in front of him.

He hadn’t moved all day but she had assumed it was because he was pondering and making plans for their return. But somehow with the look on his face it was more concerning. She reached for his hand and then grimaced as he flinched from her. Elizabeth felt her heart ache. She didn’t know what she had done to cause such a reaction, but the reality of it made her shiver with dread.

She had placed his coffee on his left side and his arm hung useless. When she reached for his left hand he backed away knowing she would immediately feel it lifelessness. But now there was the coffee. He was trapped. The look of worry deepened on his face. "Elizabeth" he choked out," My left arm is paralyzed... and its spreading... I don't know why." He had never felt so helpless in his whole life. he was facing an enemy he could not touch or fight with. "Honey I'm sorry," he said hanging his head. He had let her down, left her somewhat unprotected. Robert didn't even know what to say. He felt helpless, and worse he felt useless.

Elizabeth swooned. Paralyzed?? No! She took a deep breath. She moved his tea to the other side.

“I’m going to get the doctor! There must be something he can do for you!” She ran from the room, her skirts in hand. She found the on board physician sitting with the conductor, in the dining car. They were deep in boysterous conversation.

“Sir,” she interrupted gently but firmly. “My name is Elizabeth Walker, my husband is in need of some medical attention, he says he is suffering from some sort of paralysis in his left side! Please, I don’t know what to do,” she took a deep breath. She could feel tears in her eyes, she had tired so very hard to keep her raging emotions in check with her condition. But this and the desperation in Robert’s voice was pushing her to the breaking point. She led the Doctor swiftly through the cars to their private salon. She opened the door letting him in first and following, a strangled gasp in her throat as she saw her love.

Robert's left arm hung limp and useless from his shoulder, and now the left side of his face was beginning to sag slightly. The doctor came in and examined him. Atfer a few minutes he sat down to talk to them. "You spend a lot of time out doors, don't you?" the doctor asked Robert. "Yeah, I do, Why? " he asked. "you have Bell's palsy and odly its effecting your arm as well", he said. "It usually effectspeople who are out in the cold a lot. The good news is its usually temporary, but for awhile at least, your going to need some help from this good woman of yours. It may last just a few weeks or at worst a couple years. Most recover within a year. One thing to keep in mind though, stay out of the cold wind, at least until you recover." Robert was stunned. "Stay out of the cold? How am I going to do that?" "I don't know" , the doctor said. "but if you want to get well, you will." The Doctor excused himself and left them alone in their car.

Elizabeth thanked the doctor as she led him out. She returned to Robert’s side. She took his good hand in hers so he could feel her gentle squeeze.

“We will get by, I promise. When we get home... we can hire someone, to help with the chores or we can look at buying a place in the city until you are well.”

She looked at him, concern in her eyes as they wandered of his changed features. They would be okay. They would have to be. She started making a list of things she wanted in a house as she gently pulled him into her arms. Her strong man was scared and in need of comfort. The baby was due in six months, hopefully by that time he had healed.

She knew if it was only determined by sheer will, he would be just as good as new in no time.

Robert was instantly, energized by her words. "Damnation! Elizabeth, I'll die of starvation before I move to the city. His words were a bit slurred because of the paralysis in his face, and he was in a foul mood, but finding himself in her arms couldn't help but feel comforted. He knew that moment that she would soon be an excellent mother. " I'm sorry " he said as he thought of the selfishness of his words. He had a wife and soon a baby that needed to be thought about , and whose needs came long before his own. He would do what ever was required.

"Elizabeth, don't ever let me put my wants ahead of you and the baby, he said. I let my emotions get ahead of me there. I'm soo sorry!" With that he felt suddenly tired and drifted off to sleep in her arms.

Elizabeth sighed, as Robert fell asleep. She knew living in the city was not his idea of fun, but there was no feasible way for them to handle the cabin so far from town this coming winter. Not with her carrying a baby, and him nearly crippled. She gently stroked his hair as he slept, offering a silent prayer to whatever God was listening.

She gazed out the window, watching the sun set and the stars creep into the sky. She hoped by the time the baby was born, he’d be well enough to hold their child and cuddle with it. She couldn’t imagine the heartbreak on his face if he could not. She closed her eyes, imagining the face of their baby, and the life they would lead. She just hoped Robert was there through it, so that their child could know and love him, and learn from him. She gently kissed his forehead before falling asleep beside him.

Robert woke the next morning, wishing it had all been a bad dream, but his useless arm and sagging face was evidence enough of its reality. He decided that if it wasn't going away, he would find a way to cope. He stood, and and tried to pull on his jeans. He couldn't make them slide up his thighs. he tried holding them with his good arm and jumping this only resulted in his making a lot of noise and eventually falling on the floor. He looked up, his pants down around his thighs to see Lizes pregant bell standing above him.

Elizabeth had heard the commotion and the sound of Robert crashing to the floor. She got up and looked at her man in the state he was in. Had it been different circumstances she’d have roared with laughter. But this was not a funny sight. She gently helped him up and helped button up his jeans. She tucked in his shirt without saying much. She looked up at him as she gently patted his belly.

“You need to let me help you Robert, it’s okay.” She held his eyes hoping he could sense her sincerity. She knew it would be hard on him, to rely so much on her. But people did what they needed to fo those they loved, and this was her moment to care for him.

"Awe Elizabeth, why don't ya just shoot me, he said looking down. He was thoroughly depressed and felt utterly useless as a man. Never in his life, had he heeded help to dress. he got over to the bed and tried to put on his gun belt but it fell to the floor.
Finally he pulled a pistol from the holster and stuffed it in his jeans pocket. At least he was armed. He sat on the bed, not really knowing what to do, dependent for the first time in his life.

Elizabeth crossed her arms.

“You don’t want to see the birth of your child? You don’t want to be a father? Really?” There was indignation in her voice as she looked at him, her toe tapping on the floor.

“Do not ever say such a thing again. You are sick, you may recover, you may not, but would you truly wish to be dead over being here with us?” Her voice cracked at the last word. Damn the emotionality of her condition! The tears his perceived words caused fell fast and furiously from her clear eyes.

How could he not want to be here with her and their baby? The thought made her cry even harder, her shoulders heaving as she tried to keep it together and in control.

Robert suddenly jumped to attention, as if a superior officer had just barked an order. "Elizabeth I'm sorry, that was selfish!" he sat up straight in the chair. How could he have forgotten his child and its mother! he wanted to kick himself. "Your right my darling . I've been given more than most men. Least I can do is stick it out. He put his good arm around Elizabeth and tried hard to be strong, when every fiber of his being wanted to simply give up. Love would win this day at least, as long as he drew breath.

Elizabeth tried to compose herself. She swiped at the tears that lay wet on her cheeks.

“We do have a baby to think about and she or he will need us both. I think a property in town would be more prudent for winter. We left the cabin well and tightly locked up. It should hold until spring, when we can look at moving back out for the summer. I am positive we have enough to buy something.”

She sat down close to him. Her hands folded in his lap, offering a closeness that she knew he needed. “You will get better and by the time the baby comes, you’ll be able to hold it, and welcome it into our home like a father should. She gently squeezed his knee. Dodge was a long ways away yet, but she couldn’t wait to get home.

(we can jump to them arriving home if you like ;P)

"You are probably right" Robert said grudgingly. It was hard for an old pony soldier like he was to be comfortable becoming "town-folk". He felt much more secure amoung dangers he knew and understood, than those he did not, like greed and politics. At heart, he was a simple man with simple life concepts. Every day, you got up and did a good days work, and took good care of those you loved. They were what was important.

For now he would go along, for the sake of Elizabeth and the baby, but his heart was still on the mountain. As the days passed, he began to adapt to his limitations, and the disease stopped progressing, The further west the went, the better Robert felt. Finally, as he looked out the stage window he saw the familiar streets of Dodge. He was breathing a little easier. He woke Elizabeth, who had been resting on his shoulder. "Darling, I think we are home."

Elizabeth rousted herself from the comfort of Robert’s shoulder. Sure enough they were pulling into the streets of Dodge. She was so happy. She kissed his cheek gently and squeezed his leg. The coach rolled to a stop at the hotel. She got out first, and offered to help Robert as he made the decent.

“First stop before we go much of anywhere is to talk to the town banker and see what he knows might be available in town. I promise this is a temporary thing, not a permanent solution.” She offered her arm to Robert, giving off the illusion that everything was okay. They made their way into the bank where they were well met by the manager.

Elizabeth asked to speak with him discretely in his office. As she explained the situation to the gentleman, she was encouraged by his nod and his information. A month ago a family had decided to move, and their home just on the out skirts of town was looking to be sold as soon as possible. The Banker offered to let them look around at the place. Elizabeth graciously accepted and she and Robert left to make their way to the house to see if it would suit.

As they approached Elizabeth’s stomach somersaulted with anxiety. She hoped this would be suitable for him.

Robert looked around, the house was nice enough, much nicer in fact than their cabin but it had a 100 by 100 foot yard full of dust with not even a blade of grass front and back. No different than any other house in Dodge. It was a dust bowl. He nodded his approval, but said little, He would live here for her sake and the child's but he would never be at home there, and couldn't imagine raising a child in a place without grass and trees.

Elizabeth stoodd close to Robert, as he gazed at the yard. She leaned in close to him.
"I know it's not home, but it will be more managable for me, as we move through the winter. You get better and once the baby is here, we'll be back in our proper place by this time next year I promise." She kissed his cheek softly.

She knew being in the town would take alot out of him. He was much more the mountain man type. But given the situation they had been delt, this is where they needed to be for now. She just hoped he could accept that.

Robert went back to the bank with Elizabeth, and they signed the papers for the purchase of the house, Then Robert walked over to the livery and got their horse and buggy. While he was there he hired the stable boy and a large wagon, and team of horses to ride with him up to the cabin to check things out and bring back some furniture. He sent Elizabeth to the general store in the meantime to stock the house with food and supplies. He told her to have them delivered, since he would not be much help.

Elizabeth went to the store, and bought enough to supplies to get them started. Flour sugar, oats, potatoes and some other root vegetables that stored easily, were easily acquired. From there she would look at getting some fresh meat and maybe keeping some chickens for eggs.

As she paid for everything and gave instructions for the delivery something caught her eye. It was a small musical device, that looked like a very strange kind of banjo. On a whim, she bought it as well, had them wrap it in brown paper and she carried the thing home. The woman at the counter said some traveller had been through selling them, he’d said they were from the Mountains somewhere. And from the look of the hourglass shape, Elizabeth had fallen in love with it, and she hoped Robert would as well.

When Robert and the stable boy returned with the furniture, he helped as best he could to place the furniture in the house, but depended on the young lad for most of the work. When the had moved in the furnishings, he helped Elizabeth to help put away the food. As they finished this chore, he saW a curious package wrapped in brown paper on the table. "What is this? he asked Elizabeth."

"Open it," she said softly gently pushing the package towards him. "I saw it and loved it,somehow it spoke to me, so I broguht it home." Elizabeth shrugged slightly. She couldn't remember the fancy name thelady at the general store called it. But the delight that sparked for a moment across his face was enough to lether know she had made the right choice.

He opened the package slowly, struggling a bit with the paper because he was one handed, and pulled out an old friend. A tear streaked from the corner of his eye. "How did you know?" he asked? My mother played one of these, he said. She grew up in the mountains of Tennessee, Its called a mountain Dulcimer . He sat the hour glass shaped instrument in his lap and plucked the the strings. they were badly out of tune, but after an hour or so he had it sounding something like he rememberd the sound his mother used to make with hers. He plucked the strings again and got a sweet sounding chord, but that was as far as he got, because his left hand, that he needed to change the chord hung uselessly at his side. He strummed it a few more times, and then set it carefully on the table. Frustrated, he went out side and sat on the porch. Looking out , all he saw was dust. This was going to be a hard exixstance. He closed his eyes, and dreamed of his mountain cabin and the time he hoped would soon come, when he could see it again.

He hated how he felt about his life as it was now, and how self absorbed it made him. He got up and went back inside stood behind Elizabeth and wrapped his arm aroundhe now very pregnant middle. He kissed her behind the neck and tried to wear a smile for her. "Is there anything I can do to help?" He asked.

“You are doing great,” she said softly. She knew how hard this was for him. But seeing his smile at his gift had been more than worth it. She hoped someday soon he would be well enough to play for her. She twisted in his arms and kissed his lips deeply.

“Robert, you mean so much to me. You’ve done so much already, I will ask if I need anything, but for right now, I am one of the happiest women I know.” She cuddled into his shoulder. Her hand covering his heart. Regardless of his physical state, his heart was hers and the part she loved the most. As she moved back to the sink, and the peeling of the potatoes, she couldn’t help but smile.

“Put your hands on my belly, low on the underside, and then just feel.” She covered his hands with her own. Through the skin they could feel the steady breathing of the baby’s heart.

As Robert sat next to her, his hands on the soft warm skin, and feeling his babies heart beat, he felt warm and afectionate for the first time in a few days. It was an intensly personal moment. She had to hold his left hand in place for him, but he some how got his mind past that limitation. He hadn't touched he like that in quite a while, and it felt good. When she let his left hand free, he left his right where it was and lovingly kissed her, letting it stray lower cupping her pussy. He kissed her again, waiting to see her reaction, and hoping it would be good.

Back
Top Bottom