Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can They Manage it? (Lan and Candira)

Lanolyt

Star
Hugh was just in the process of getting a real dressing down by the provost. “A boy from such a fine family! What are you thinking getting into trouble like that. I try to make allowances since you lost your parents, but really!” He was just starting into it again and getting ready to assign a punishment, when the door was quietly opened.

His secretary was there and her face was white, she handed a sheet of paper to the provost and hurried out.

As he read the note, the provost sank wearily back on his dark wood desk. The whole office reflected the quality of the private school and he reminded himself that wildness could make a great leader if harnessed.

“Hugh…I’m so very sorry, and we’ll forget the incident. Your uncle has passed on, leaving you his estate. We’ll credit you with finishing the term, with all A marks. Please accept my sympathies, and let me know if you need a tutor to finish school from home.”

Hugh was crushed. His only relative gone. The next few days blurred by and he found himself in the old mansion, alone with the staff, none of whom he’d ever been close to. They only knew him as a spoiled teen.

He looked out over the vineyards and orchards, having no idea what to do with them. The fruit was getting ripe and he had no clue who to call or how to manage it. Next to him was a stack of bills. There was enough in the bank to cover for a few more months, but after that?

Disgusted, he rode his horse…one of twenty they owned, to a nearby pub and ordered a drink. The bartender watched him toss it back and paused. “What’s eating you boy?”

“What’s eating me? I’ve got a manor, a vineyard, and orchard, horses, cows, and oxen, and I have no clue what to do, so I’m going to lose it all. My uncle managed it all…I think her thought after I got out of college, he’d teach me to run everything, but now he’s gone. I don’t know who to contact….why would a capable manager want to leave their own holdings to help me?”

The barkeep laughed and Hugh flushed. “What the hell’s so funny?”

“Son, buy the lady at the far end of the bar a couple of drinks and dinner. Don’t skimp. Then tell her your story, if it’s worth your time, promise that I’ll be your only barkeep. If not, your drink an her meal are free. I‘m Mike, by the way, and this is my place.”

Hugh cocked his head. Why not? Right now he had money. This woman was quite attractive, full curves and a very pretty face. “Um, miss, please hear me out. Mike says to buy you dinner and drinks and tell you about my situation.. He also said that if it doesn‘t work out, all of our order is on the house.” Maybe she knew someone who could help him. He let her order and repeated the whole story while she was served and waited for her to answer. “So that’s it. Any suggestions?”

Lanna had been out of work for months now. She was getting more and more desperate by the day. No one seemed willing to give her the time of day, despite her high standing in the guild. Because she was a woman, she was somehow less capable of running an estate. That sentence in and of itself was a ridiculous one! Women were expected to run households and manage with whatever budget had been set. She'd proven to be an excellent manager and up until the wife of the man who'd hired her began to suspect him of having an affair with her, Lanna had had a solid job with excellent references.

Now, it was four months later and she was getting closer and closer to having to resort to something rather drastic. She was just thinking about what she could afford to eat tonight and still have enough to cover her bills for the rest of the month when a young man approached her. He was handsome and looked fairly wealthy. That shot up two red flags for her. She was used to fending off unwelcome advances, and he looked like the type to ask. But his wealth might be something she could work with so she would have to be very polite and straightforward.

The man seemed almost apologetic, however, and ideas of turning him away were removed when he asked to speak with her and a wager from the bartender was mentioned. She raised an eyebrow and glanced at Mike before returning her attention to the young man before her. Curious she motioned for him to sit down. He seemed insistent on her ordering, and she wasn't foolish enough to turn down an offer that had Mike's word attached to it. Either way, it worked out for her.

"Alright. I suppose I can give it a listen. My name is Lanna Wainwright, by the way." She ordered something filling and nourishing, but not extravagant or overly expensive to eat--a beef stew and a chunk of sour dough bread. Since he was letting drinks be a part of the offer, she ordered a brandy and left it at that. She listened attentively to his problem, even after her tantalizing meal arrived. She decided when he was finished speaking that Mike deserved a kiss.

"That does seem like quite a problem. Fortunately for you, I happen to be very capable of managing your estate for you," she said with a smile. She paused to take another spoonful of stew, some of the last of it. "I would be happy to help you go over the paperwork, finances, and help to educate you in the affairs of running your estate if you like." She was pleased to be able to offer such services and know that she had a decent chance of being accepted.

"I can provide documents that tell of my qualifications, letters of reference from the guild, and from one of my previous employers, should you require them. And I am well-trained in handling vineyards as well," she said with a confident smile.

Hugh felt like someone had toss him a rope in a croc filled lake and then asked, "do you want me to pull?" There was no way he was missing this chance.

"Miss Wainwright, I can offer you housing, meals and $100 per week, or fifteen percent of the estate's profits...for the first two months you can take your pick. I hope that sounds fair. My name is Hugh McClung...Lord McClung now, I suppose, though that hardly matters.

Here is the address. I would request that you not dismiss the staff until you get to know each of them. Some have worked in the family all their lives and know their business well. They also are loyal enough to keep their mouths shut.

I'm going to go home to bed...I think I might actually sleep tonight. I hope you can start right in tomorrow. Frankly, I need you and each day without you is a loss."

He looked up at the barkeep. "Mike, charge me double for everything we've had. You've more than earned it, and yes. I will only come here. I may be a fool, but my word is my bond."

He bowed and kissed her hand, then headed home and slept happily.

Morning came with a shock to a student used to arising after eight.
The front bell was ringing and from the Grandmother clock on his mantle, it was 6:52 AM.

"Ack...Carruthers, will you get that, and where are my clothes?"

Carruthers usuallly treated him like an errant schoolboy...gee, wonder why...but he answered the door and Hugh heard voices.

"Miss Wainwright is here sir. Are you expecting her? She says she is to review the estate."

He leaped from bed and pulled on some trousers, and a good shirt. "Well, get her breakfast. Anything she wants, and ask her to meet me in the library when she's finished. It's the closest to an office we have. Oh, and Carruthers, be polits, she's your new boss."

Carruthers raised his eyebrows in an exasperated longsuffering way and opined. "Of course, Sir. Very good Sir. Glad to be of service Sir." Then zipped out to receive her.

By the time Hugh had shaved and made himself presentable, breakfast was mostly done and he was just able to get coffee and toast with ham.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there to greet you. We need to introduce you to all the staff."

He noticed that she had icing drizzles on her scone and that the chef had made her eggs benedict. The chef never did anything like that for him! "I hope breakfast was acceptable. The bills and estate information in in the library if you are ready.

You didn't mention whether you would be living here. If so, I can send some of the staff to help pack and move you."

((Just a quick note--I know you did it for the sake of moving the story along, which is okay this time, but please don't control my character for me in the future. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine.))

She was surprised that such a well-known family had taken an interest in here merely by chance. That nothing had been set up before hand was shocking to her. For the Lord to not have had a contingency plan...but who was she kidding?! This was her lucky break. If it hadn't been for that lack of foresight on the deceased lord's part, she'd still be out of a job, and probably out on the streets...in fact, she was quite sure she'd be on the streets very soon due to her lack of funding. But now... she could afford her rent with what she had left if she really took this job.

The money was amazing and the offer for housing and meals was even better. Maybe she wouldn't need to bother paying for her crumby apartment much longer after all...And what was that? Had he just said he needed her? His words were a great compliment. Finally, someone was taking her seriously! This had to be her lucky day. Apparently it was Mike's lucky day too. He really shouldn't throw around money like that, but it wasn't really her place to interject just yet. Besides, Mike was the reason she had this job.

She blushed a little as he kissed her hand and then nodded. She was so surprised by the gesture and her luck that she didn't have a chance to tell him anything else! She was glad she knew the address. She'd be there bright and early.

Before she left, she thanked Mike and kissed both of his cheeks. "You're a saint of a man." Happily, she left the pub and walked home with an extra bounce in her step. She bathed and scrubbed herself vigorously, ensuring that she was clean as possible and smelled just as good. She slept well and woke early the next morning. She wore some of her best clothes and looked every bit the professional that she was. She arranged her hair and lovely curls and wore a nice blue dress, arriving at the estate in question bright and early. It was a large estate and she had a lot of things to go through.

She was a kind woman and had a way with men who were pleasant. Apparently the staff thought she was wonderful because they made her a lovely breakfast and treated her with as much hospitality as they might have a member of their own family. She thanked them all and chatted with them about what it was like to live and work here, paying attention.

When the young master arrived on the scene she was nearly finished with everything. She was glad to hear that everything was arranged for her to peruse. She set down her silverware and nodded her head respectfully. "I thank you, sir. I think it would be more convenient for me to stay here while I work with you, if that is to your liking. I don't have many things to take--my apartment is a furnished one. Just my possessions need to be moved. I'll be happy to make the move tomorrow if that is alright. But today, my lord, we have much work to do." She smiled pleasantly and said, "I'm happy to wait for you if you've some matters to attend to. Or I can finish here and go ahead to look at the books."

Things were progressing very smoothly indeed.

He agreed with her and they dug in. Secretly, he felt like hugging her and dancing. She was perfect.

Unfortunately, he had no clue how to organize things, but there was a secretary desk with 50 slots in it, an abacus...actually three in different sizes, and a sliderule.

"First Off, when we are working alone, I would really appreciate it if you would call me by my first name. I'm younger than you and you are educated. Do you mind if I use your name?

I'm afraid I can't help much. I separated out the bills from other correspondence. Someone was asking how much our grapes cost and I have no clue what would be even near a fair price. I did also put the older bills on top."

He felt like an eager puppy. True, she was gorgeous, but she worked for him. On the other hand, he really needed her.

"I feel so much better now that you are here. I'm going to leave you for a couple of hours to familiarize yourself with things. Carruthers will call you for lunch at 11, if you don't mind dining with me. If you would rather not, I understand. I respect you and mean no disrespect."

Hugh bowed and left her to work without his interference.

He was being so polite to her. It wasn't often that one came across such a person in nobility. He was kind to his help. To most people, in fact. At least, that was what she'd witnessed so far. Working with him would be a charm. His demeanor was that of a nobleman, and one who was quite relieved to have help. But his youth gave him something more...innocent as well. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but she was sure it was there.

The brunette finished breakfast as he told her to call him by his name. "If that is what you wish," she said. "You may call me my name in private if it pleases you, but when we are among others, I wish you would call me by my surname."

"I will require your presence to teach you some things as well as work goes on here--I believe all of my clients should have a basic knowledge of the goings-on in their own business ventures. Should something happen to me, I'd like to know you wouldn't be at the mercy of crooks." The idea that his presence would somehow be offensive surprised her.

"I don't mind eating with you at all, Hugh," she said, smiling pleasantly and using his name as he'd asked. She figured it would be more convincing that way. "I'll just head off to do my work then. Thank you."

With that, she went to the library to go through all of the bills and correspondence as well as the other ledgers she found. She was quite occupied with her work and it hardly seemed like any time had passed at all when the servant came to fetch her.

She washed her hands before coming to the dining room for lunch, finding that she was quite hungry indeed.

He waited until Carruthers had pushed in her chair and she was seated before taking his own.

"Miss Wainwright, I hope the morning has gone well. I have a request however. If you don't mind, I'd like to have a seamstress measure you, and to make you a couple of top quality suit/skirt outfits as well as boots in the house colors.

Since you are going to be my business representative, I would like others to know it when they meet you. I will also pay for new blouses that you select to match the outfits. It would hardly be fair for you to pay for that, seeing as it's my request. Now, I don't know if it would be useful, but would you prefer half of this week's wages in advance. I want your affairs to be well settled, so none may cast any aspersions, and so you have no debts of concern.

Try the Plum Mousse, Chef Luissa does amazing things. It's so odd, she was the lowest chef in a restaurant when I at there and wanted to know who'd prepared my dessert. So I convinced uncle to hire her out and she has elevated the entire kitchen with her skills. I'm always surprised and pleased by her. Feel free to get snacks or whatnot any time. IF you desire wine or drink, I only ask that you take no more than a glass or two for clear thinking...and not to open more than one of the blue labels in a month...some of those are over 60 years old in the cellar...say, I wonder if they have much value. Uncle once said that wine gets better over time...but there aren't more than 400 or so of them I should think.

If you desire, I have the afternoon open for you to tutor me.

So, can you tell me, please. From what you've seen, does the estate have a chance of making it? I held off on selling the breeding cattle, and the stud race horses...they probably aren't listed in what you were looking at, but I think they're worth a bit if we need money. I'm just on pins and needles awaiting your assessment."

He'd waited until they were alone to ask the question.

She wondered briefly, as all women do when they hear such requests, what was wrong with her clothes. But since he was being good enough to offer her room and board, plus a stipend she didn't feel as though she had much room to complain. Besides, it made sense about the clothes being top quality. If she was to represent him, she had to look the part. And that meant new clothes, even if hers were nice enough for her liking.

"Very well. I'll be happy to set up a time with your seamstress later today." When she heard his offer to pay her an advance, she was surprised at his concern for her reputation and well-being. It was touching. "Thank you sir. That would be appreciated. I'll have to take care of some things with my landlord tonight so that I can move tomorrow, and I'll be sure to report these developments to the guild to keep from inviting scandal."

She was also surprised at the open-mindedness of his uncle and himself. It seemed that his faith in people for skill alone, rather than sex, was strong. And that was a comforting and refreshing notion. "I actually don't drink very often, and I don't drink to excess. There is quite a lot of value in well-aged wine, and selling those bottles would bring in extra revenue, however, I'm not quite sure at the moment, what a reasonable price would be. I'd have to take a look at them more closely to give you an estimate.

"I have to spend a bit more time examining the goings-on here, but from what I can tell, you're still bringing in quite enough money to live very comfortably after the expenses I've seen have been accounted for. You're not in danger of losing anything unless you neglect your sales and forget to pay bills."

Lanna was quite confident that she would be able to keep the estate in the black and double its profit if she had the time. She was also sure that the people who worked there would be able to keep their jobs for a long while. One thing was bothering her, however.

"This afternoon will work splendidly for your tutoring, Hugh. However, I have something of a request for you. One hundred dollars per week is far too much for me to accept with a clean conscience. Fifty seems far more appropriate for someone in my station, especially since I will be living and eating here. The only bills I should have are personal ones, and that money should more than cover any expenses I might have. I appreciate your generosity, really. However, it is important to think of your own financial well-being as well."

She smiled at him and ordered something simple--a salad and some soup that was being made at the moment, with the plum mousse. She ordered milk with it as well.

He listened to her concern. "Seriously, I checked on you this morning. Oh, make no mistake, there are some in the guilds who dislike you. but they all agreed you were fully honest and reliable. For a smart, honest manager like you, I'd be willing to pay twice as much.

So here is my thought. To celebrate your success so far, let's go to Mike's for dinner, and chat about ideas. I'll take the extra part from your salary, and hold it. Then at year's end, you can have it or give it to charity. Fair?"

Without thinking, he took her hands in his and squeezed them. "Under the cloudy circumstances, you have made me a happy as is possible. And to be blunt, you should already be rich if it wasn't for the power of the guilds. You are very much worth it. I should try to find such a wife!"

To her surprise, he was being thorough about her employment and he was being careful to make sure that she was well-worth his time and money. His reasoning was also logical, though it pained her to take up such a large fee for her services. He told her he could give half to charities, and as tempting as that would be, he could do the same on his own. It really seemed that he was doing too much. Just because he was willing to pay even more didn't mean that she wanted or needed him to, and she wondered if the other servants had similar problems.

She saw the insistence in his eyes and knew that he wouldn't take no for an answer. She was forced to tell him what he wanted to hear. "Alright...if I can't persuade you to change your mind, I'll have to accept your offer," she said, feeling guilty all the while.

And then something rather shocking occurred. He took her hands and looked her straight in the eye, singing her praises and comparing her to a candidate for his bride. She blushed deeply, eyes widened with shock. She stiffened a bit and then forced herself to calm down. She took back her hands slowly and graciously.

"I'm flattered at your faith in me, Hugh, but I'm really not as great as all that, and certainly not an appropriate person to discuss marriage with..." She couldn't bring herself to look at him at the moment and found herself very interested in the table.

"Lanna, I'm so very sorry. I've made you uncomfortable, and after all you've done for me already. Please forgive me, though I've said nothing untrue, I'm sometimes ill at ease with women. Especially very beautiful ones. While I dated some at school, they usually kept us on a tight rein.

The only dates I ever had were ones where I was asked out. But, speaking professionally, any man who is single would be a fool and idiot not to prefer a woman like yourself. You have far too much class and prospects to ever consider a whelp like me...

But that leads me to ask a favor. In the evenings, which are yours to do as you please if you judge that the work done is sufficient, would you consider tutoring me on how to approach and court a woman? Carruthers has tough me manners, and proper etiquette, but my tongue ties up before I can ever even ask. So, as my manager, if I could practice with you..."

He looked away, his turn to blush. Why had he asked that. She was probably offended.

She was uncomfortable, but not in a way that made her feel afraid. It was difficult to explain, actually. Actually, his discomfort was more of a concern to her, at this point, than her own. She listened to him and instantly felt bad for having said anything...He hadn't meant anything by it. He was just young...and a bit naive. That was why she was needed, after all. And she would guide him to correct these mistakes.

"Really, you're not at all a whelp. A whelp doesn't wish to learn or improve himself, but continues to drain and be rude to the world around them. You, sir, are none of those things. And very kind." She smiled softly and blushed. "Really, I am flattered that you take pride in my good qualities, but you must be more careful of what you say. I'm not the right person to talk to about marriage..." Of course, that was partially because she was not and had never been married. And never been asked, but by a few drunken men at the pub and guild.

"I...I'm not sure that it would be a good idea for us to associate in that manner. Certainly not without a chaperone." She paused for a moment and thought it over. "However, if you ever have need for advice in the matter...or if you'd ever like to talk to me, that would be alright." She smiled and nodded.

He listened but cocked his head. "Lanna, I'm curious. not asking or anything. But apart from the fact that you are a few years older than me, and a heck of a lot more capable, why would you are I be a bad match. I don't want to marry someone for their title, but for the find of person they are. So let me have it, tell me why I'd be a bad match for you."

He assumed that she'd be good for him. He'd want a woman like her in a heartbeat. But if a woman like this told him what was wrong with him, he had a chance to change himself.

She thought about his question seriously for a long moment. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you sir...I'm sorry, Hugh," she corrected herself. "I hardly know you, and you don't know my personality. It was unwise of me to judge...but it's not so much that a woman like myself and a man such as yourself would be unsuited...it's just that, for the two of us to...fraternize...it wouldn't be right." And now she was the one fumbling for words and sticking her foot into her mouth.

"It's mostly a question of perception, Hugh. I'm flattered that you think so highly of me, really! I just don't know what to do about it."

He glared at her for a minute.

"Shouldn't fraternize? Madam, If I said that to you, people would call me a snob. You are in no way beneath me, quite the contrary, but if my title makes me unsuitable, I am quite sorry. I was born with it.

Chew me out for wasting some of my school years, and not learning the business, but don't you make me feel along because of my stupid birth! That's what took my parents away and I hate it!"

He spun and fled the room, going to his own, where he actually cried into his pillow.

It was all jus too much to fast in the last two years.

He knew he needed to apologize, but he couldn't face her yet.

She hadn't meant anything by what she'd said, and in no way had she made the connection to his rank. It was just that an unwed woman and a young man ought not to be left alone together according to polite society. It was one thing for business, and quite another for personal time. That was all she'd meant. But of course, it came out wrong and now she'd offended her employer.

She looked helplessly at one of the servers. "Oh, dear. I've done it now..."

The server sighed. "It was an unfortunate choice of words madam. The young lord is...sensitive. Give him some time. I'll bring him his lunch in his room, and you're free to stay here or go back to the study."

Rather than sit at the empty table and be reminded of her utter social failure, she chose to leave for the study and took her food there. She forced herself to eat it all, though she wasn't hungry anymore, and it still all tasted wonderful. She thanked everyone and gave her compliments to the chefs. She finished looking over everything and wrote up a report, which took upwards of an hour to do in her immaculate handwriting. She made it as easy to understand as possible and planned to explain anything else that might cause problems in the future in person.

She stood up and gathered her things into a nice folder and arranged all of the materials in proper order and a proper place, locking away the past ledgers where they belonged. Now...she just had to wait for Hugh to find her.

He was moping in his room when Carruthers dropped by.

"Carruthers, I need a drink."

"No, Sir. You don't."

He paused, unable to believe his ears. "Carruthers, I'm sure I heard you wrong."

"Young Master. You are wrong. But you are being an ass. If you do not listen to me now, I shall tender my immediate resignation...because I care for you too much."

Carruthers had changed his diapers, he couldn't bear the thought of him leaving.

"Well...what, then."

"Sir, Miss Wainwright was properly performing her duties as your manager, looking out for your and the estate's interest. Her statements had nothing to do with class and everything to do with sex. To be sequestered with an unmarried older woman puts you at risk. And did you even pause to think how it would look for her? She's 24. Unmarried. This job might rise her to where she can get a good match, but you seem bound to destroy her!"

"But I like her Carruthers! I think she's wonderful."

"Bully for you Sir. That's the problem. Sir, I admire Miss Wainwright and if it were in any way up to me, I would heartily encourage you to court her. But there is decorum to be observed. You must each be escorted. Do you want her, sir? Really?"

"More than anything, Carruthers....Really."

"Then leave it to me Sir...but no more suggestions from you. But Sir. Your title. I know you didn't want it, but you still have a responsibility to use it for the good of all."

Hugh met her in the study. "Please sit, I need to say something. I misunderstood you earlier. What you said was right and true and I was too wrapped up in my own sensitivities to see it. Even if you had been commenting on my title, I overreacted. All I can do is ask your forgiveness."

Carruthers stepped up. "Miss Wainwright, all in this house appreciative your pleasant demeanor, fairness, honesty and charm. That being said, Master Hugh begs for the privilege of courting you, with intention of marriage, should such courting be pleasant and amicable to both of you. While he is impulsive, he is a good young man, healthy, and, with your help, he will have a good income for you. Personally, I would recommend him. That is all I have to say.

Carruthers exited, leaving a gaping silence.

Wow...this whole place went from one end of the spectrum to the other. Still, it seemed as though the servants employed here liked her well enough, and their lord was someone who seemed to wish to keep her around--for more than just tabulations, it seemed. As both her new employer and his oldest servant appealed to her for forgiveness, she wondered how she'd suddenly become such a respected person.

As Hugh asked for her forgiveness in quite the politest apology she'd ever received, she felt her cheeks coloring as well. "Really, it's my fault too. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I will gladly accept your apology if you'll only accept mine, and know how sorry I am to know that I hurt your feelings at all." She bowed her head, a few curly tendrils escaping her hair do.

She stood up straight as Carruthers began his speech. As the older man left, she blushed, and there was a rather pregnant pause. "I..." she looked at Hugh now and studied his earnest face. "Well...if you're sure you really want to pursue me...I'll consent. From what I've seen, I know you to be a fair and kind person, and all of your servants like you well enough. And you're unique...you value skill over gender." She smiled and blushed softly. She neglected to mention that she thought he was handsome as well, but that was something that didn't really matter much.

He was likely the best offer she'd ever get, and it would be foolish to turn him down because she was giving age more precedent than personality.

A bit of pride filled him at her kind words.

"It's easy to be nice when one is surrounded by good competent people who are so pleasant.

Except for Carruthers, of course. He's turned grumpiness into a fine art. It's quite impressive to watch him find a way to say that a pretty sunrise means the day is ruined."

Carruthers was smirking. "Of course, master Hugh. Just as it's amazing that a boy can believe that if he runs fast enough, the mud from puddles won't stick to him. But we all have to learn. I've made a reservation for the ballet for two this evening in anticipation of silly interplay between you two. So I would advise kissing the lady's cheek and getting down to the coach."

As Carruthers left, Hugh rolled his eyes, "Isn't he horribly lovable? I do wonder one thing Lanna, why didn't you choose to marry. A woman who looks like you must have had scores of suitors. And with you obvious intelligence and friendly nature, you had to have made a choice not to marry. Which makes me feel perhaps unnecessarily special that you have decided I might be worth it.

You are the most engaging woman I've ever met, and I'd fight for the chance to pursue you if I thought it would help. But I think you'd look at such posturing as idiocy."

He did lean in to kiss her soft cheek though. And he took her arm. "You can tell me as we get to the coach and during the ride. Just as long as I get to be next to you, I'll be content."

Lanna was terribly amused by the interaction between Hugh and Carruthers. Both men seemed pleasant enough, but perhaps it was only for her benefit that they behaved as they did. "Thank you," she said softly to him. And then she remembered...she wasn't really dressed for the ballet. But if Hugh thought it was good enough to take her, and Carruthers too, then she had no choice. Besides, no one would be paying attention to her--just the dancers on stage. She watched the mysterious old man leave and returned her attention to Hugh.

His question about her marriage and his ardent way of telling her how well he thought of her did two things at once--make her feel horrible, and make her feel happy. What a strange mixture. She smiled and shook her head. "Despite my assets, Hugh, I'm not exactly marriage material for the kind of men who can take care of me--not just physically, but emotionally and intellectually. They resent my skills and belittle my intelligence, and I'm constantly told that I'm very beautiful--but it's a shame I have a mouth." She chuckled wondering how scandalized he would be.

"It's not an easy thing to be a woman, Hugh. Especially one with a brain. But you're very different, Hugh. And if you ever have to fight for me it won't be because someone else is the apple of my eye, I can assure you of that." The pretty woman smiled and collected herself, putting his arm through his, she walked along side him.

"Actually, to answer your question, I haven't found anyone worth my time."

As they were walking toward the couch, he turned and grinned at her. "Oh dear, you mean you aren't some brainless hussy, throwing your bosom around to attract a mate like a butterfly shows her wings? Sorry, if I offend. But I tend to say what I feel. I had more than a few women at school who snuck in to try to bed me, so they could be with child and get in on my estate.

Lanna. I can't abide dull people. Keep that mouth in readiness, and say what you will. Especially since you are still my teacher in business, and how to make a woman happy. Hmm, I suppose in retrospect I should not have asked for that, as it gives you free license to order me to do things to make you happy." He looked sideways and grinned, teasing her.

"I'm going to assume that that last was not a jibe at me. I'm sure that when you decide to tease or harass me, your wit will be such that I will have no doubt at all.

As for fighting for you...if anyone should disparage you, he or she had best be ready to defend themselves, because I will not brook any such behaviour towards the woman I hope to marry."

Inside the coach, he bit his lip. "Would a kiss be appropriate, or should I wait until after our date?" He was humble and crestfallen as he asked, very conscious of his lack of knowledge and completely embarrassed.

She smiled at his sarcasm and his feigned surprise, chuckling just a little. He surely did say what he felt as had been made clear to her from all other interactions she'd had with him. He was such an honest person. She ought to put more trust in him--after all, he seemed a special sort of man. Pleased that he thought well of her wit and voice, she laughed at his joke about her making him do things to make her happy.

"Well, that is what you wanted me to teach you, isn't it?" she laughed softly and nodded. "Of course not, it wasn't meant for you. If it had been, you and I would not be courting."

She was glad that he would fight for her, but truly hoped that he wouldn't. "It's kind of you to say such a thing. But I can fight my own battles. However, I'll be sure to call on you when I can't." She smiled and squeezed his arm.

Once inside the coach, she settled in and looked over as he asked his terribly awkward question. It was cute that he had no idea what to do, but a little sad too. He certainly looked embarrassed. "Well, some men might kiss a woman on the first date, but I think it's best to wait--and so do most women. It's a bit presumptuous to just kiss someone, don't you think?"

At that, she smiled and took on of his hands in hers. "Really, you must try to relax. Everything will be alright. Be yourself."

He nodded. "I understand. I'd never think of you as cheap. I just want to see if I can make you happy...you've already done so much for me."

When she held his hand, he sighed. Without thinking, he rested his head on her shoulder and sighed. "I haven't been able to do this since...the attack.

Someone decided that my father might block a particular bill in court and they firebombed my parents coach...you probably heard of the event, though the authorities hid who it happened to. I never got to say goodbye.

I think mom and dad would have liked you."

Hugh was a very sensitive young man--not that it was a bad thing, but it certainly brought matters like this to the forefront of a conversation at the most inconvenient of times. More often than not, however, she suspected that he held them in and she seemed of such a trusting nature that he could tell her anything. She blushed as he laid his head on her shoulder and felt strange--she wanted to comfort him, but at the same time she wanted to tell him this probably wasn't the best of things to do...

"I'm so sorry to hear that your parents were killed in such an awful manner," she said, frowning at the thought that he'd lacked a great deal of guidance. "I'm flattered that you think they would have liked me. And I'm sure that I would have liked them as well." She frowned and squeezed his hand again--for reassurance.

"I'm sure they'd be very proud of you for taking this step in your life and moving on." She smiled and thought for a moment. "I think you'll do very well with some guidance. I'll make a businessman out of you yet," she said with a chuckle. As for making him a good lover...well that was hardly an appropriate thing to discuss.

The ballet was Mozart and wonderful. They had his family's box seats and were served wine and treats. He held her hand during the sad parts and felt wonderful.

He led her backstage afterwards, his position letting her meet the dancers and director. He so wanted to spoil her. How could other men have let her slip by, and how had he gotten so lucky.

Then it was time to go. A rather drunken man stepped up and leered. "What a nice pair you have!"

He wanted to deck the man, but remembered her words. "Yes, we are a perfect couple, aren't we?" He stepped between the man and Lanna, and prevented any further interaction. He waited to the coach to ask her if that was OK.

Back
Top Bottom