Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Song From Entropy (Lestat & DaShou)

xLord_Lestatx

Super-Earth
Catarina sat under the damp bridge, wrapped up in a tattered blanket as she tried to sleep, but her fitful coughing deprived her of slumber. Her short hair was greasy and hidden beneath her hat, her round, blue eyes were tired, but retained it's shimmer as she looked up occasionally, blinking away the sleep in her eyes. She was silent as she waited for sleep to comfort her, and wrapped the dirty blanket tighter around herself. She didn't know how ill she was; she couldn't have known how far the illness had already spread in such a short time. She wanted very much to be well again, and waited for her sickness to pass like the others had before. But she didn't know that it wouldn't pass, she didn't know this certain illness may very well have already claimed her life. But like the child she was, she was hopeful, and as always, optimistic.

“Would you please spare some change? My sister is sick and needs food…” Wendell went around the nearby town, going from person to person with little or no luck. It has been a long time since him and his sister had lost their homes and were living on the street. Worst of all, his Catarina was getting ill. Nowadays, Wendell was appalled whenever he saw siblings fighting with one another. He didn’t understand it. He wished he could tell every single one of them how caring for your siblings and loving them was the most important thing in the world because, one day, it might just be you too. Having been homeless and with each other so long have really strengthened their bond… which made it all the more difficult for Wendell to see his sister suffer. After being told to get lost, get a job, or get the fuck away, Wendell gave up on asking people for spare change for the day. He didn’t want to resort to picking through the trash--- as much as they needed the food. Wendell pushed his dreadlocks out of his dark blue eyes, looking through the small plastic cup he had collected change in. Slowly, he reached in with his shaking hands, counting all the money he had made-- Only two dollars and five cents. A little more than he usually got but still not really enough to help. Wendell quickly pocketed the change into his camo jacket and went to find the nearest store.

Once inside, he quickly scanned the aisles, picking up a water bottle and a Lunchable--- something that he knew would bring back, if not pleasant, childhood memories. It would have to do for now until Wendell can manage to save up enough money. He slowly kept an amount on him that he wouldn’t spend in case of dire emergency, but he was slowly running out. It only took him a few minutes to get through the lines and pay for the food. Once he was out of the store, he pulled his scarf over his mouth and nose and dashed back to where his sister waited. When he saw his sister, he wanted to cry at the sight. She was cold, tired, and dying right before his eyes. “Catarina… I got you some food and water…” He said, walking over to her and placing the bag in front of her. He took his scarf off and wrapped it gently around Catarina’s neck and sat beside her. “I thought you would like it…” He said, trying to give a small smile, but it was hard to manage when he saw his sister like this.

Catarina always worried when her older brother was away, and she hated burdening him with her sickness. She usually went with him to beg for money, as the turn out was usually better when the strangers saw her young face, but she felt so tired almost everyday now. Her dirty face brightened when she saw her older brother return to her. "Wendell!" She exclaimed excitedly before giving out a small, dry cough. She held his hands softly in hers as he wrapped the scarf around her. Her blue eyes glistened and danced whenever her brother was around; it almost seemed that they had a home when he was near her, because she knew that as long as she had her Wendell, everything was going to work out. She did miss the cozy home they once shared with their parents, but she could hardly remember her parents at all, only that they loved to hold her close, and once gave her a porcelain doll which she had no idea where it had gone. She remembered always following Wendell around, but was shut out with his indifference of her. Since they had become homeless, she was glad to find that he had opened up to her immensely; she was mostly glad because she didn't quite understand that they were forever without a home, in her naive mind, she still believed that their parents would rescue them.

She wrapped the blanket around him as much was possible as he sat down next to her and snuggled up to him for warmth. Eagerly, she unwrapped the lunchable and squealed with delight when she saw it. She paused a moment before looking up at her brother with saddened, confused eyes as a memory flooded her mind; being dropped off to school with the very same lunchable in hand, and her mother telling her they would pick her up later. "Wendell, do you think mommy and daddy are going to come back soon?"

Wendell smiled kindly to her sister as she wrapped the blanket around him. As much as he loved being warm himself, he wanted his sister to be first in any decision he made. He could wait out longer, he wasn’t sick unlike her. He watched her carefully as she opened the bag, letting out a squeal of delight. He let out a small chuckle before realizing the happy squeal left and she was now looking at him sadly. His heart dropped. Did he pick the wrong thing? When she had asked him the question about his parents, it was as if a spear had launched through his chest. When will their parents come rescue them? Where were they? What happened to them? He couldn’t remember, he doesn’t even remember their birthdays. Wendell closed his eyes and thought for a moment before looking back at his sister and smiling. “I think they will be here to rescue us any day now. I am sure of it. That way we can go home, and you can get better. For now… please eat. It will help…”

He felt like he was lying. He wasn’t sure if his parents were ever going to save them. He wasn’t even sure if they were alive or not. Every night though, Wendell wished to the stars that may Heaven hear his voice, help them find their way to a better life. For now, they just had to be patient and wait it out. It was a painful task, but if it was for his sister’s sake, he was willing to take it. He leaned up against the bridge wall, closing his eyes and letting out a sigh. He was so hungry… more than that, starving. He knew if he didn’t eat something sooner or later he was eventually going to end up just like his sister and then they’d both be in trouble. However, he wasn’t going to let his sister know how many times he had pushed food aside just to feed her instead. So Wendell tried to take his mind off of food for now and just tried to focus on resting, or getting warm.

Catarina smiled widely at his response. She knew it, she knew that they weren't alone after all. And while She didn't remember how they ended up here in the first place, she knew that their parents still cared about them. She believed it with all her heart. She rested her head against Wendell as she tore open the lunchable happily. She figured that he had gotten it to share, since he probably couldn't afford two of them. She took out out one of the small pizzas and handed it to him with a kind smile. "Wendell, thank you for taking such good care of me until they get back." She said before another coughing fit took over, making her body shake violently.

Wendell was just drifting off into thought when he opened his eyes to see Catarina handing him one of the pizzas. He smiled weakly and shook his head. “I c-couldn’t I got it for yo---“ He was cut off by the sudden coughing fit his sister was having. Frantically, he placed the pizza down in the box and turned to Catarina. “C-Catarina!” He wasn’t even going to ask at this point if she was okay. He already knew what answer he was more than likely going to receive. Instead, he pulled off his jacket this time for some extra warmth and wrapped it around Catarina’s shoulders. Then he gave her the blanket and backed up a bit, trying to think of something to do. As he kneeled there, trembling as he was only wearing a green tank top now and trying to suppress tears, he tried to think of a way he possibly could start a fire. Suddenly he remembered he had found a few extra matches he had found lying around and searched through his pant pockets till he found them. Then he quickly dashed out from under the bridge, collected whatever wood he could that was lying around, and then came back. He carefully set the sticks and wood in a nice pile and then struck the match against the ground till it lit on fire. Then, hoping it would work, he placed it in. For a moment, nothing was working and Wendell was losing hope. When there was a small spark of flame, Wendell’s eyes brightened up and he quickly left again and grabbed some leaves, tossing them into the fire to help it spread a little. Once he got it going, he looked over to his sister, wondering if she was okay now.

Her lungs constricted and pushed tears out from her eyes as she choked out the coughs that seemed never ending. She couldn't see anything as they rattled her whole body, her eyes shut tightly. When she was finally able to open her eyes, she was greeted warmly by a fire. "W-Wendell...?" She gave a soft cry for her older brother as her body ached from her fit. She wanted it to be over, she wanted it to go away. "Why won't I get better..?" She asked as she sobbed quietly.

Wendell’s head popped up like a puppy when she said his name. Tears were already flowing down his face. He was afraid, he was confused, and he was upset he couldn’t do more for his sister. He moved over to her and wrapped her into a big hug, all the tears just pouring out. “I’m sorry Catarina. I’ll find a way to get you feeling better in no time, I promise. Please… just hang in there for me, okay?” He asked and gently placed his forehead against hers and looked into her eyes. “I will find a way to make this all better…” He gently kissed his sister on the forehead and wiped his tears. He was just so frustrated right now. He felt like nothing he was doing was working! Every little thing h tried to do was failing and his sister wasn’t getting better. What was even worse was that winter was coming around and it was going to get even colder and he knew they both stood no chance against the cold season. He reached down and opened the water bottle for Catarina, holding it out for her. “Please take a few sips, it should help settle the coughs at least a little….” He said, looking her with serious, yet concerned eyes.

Catarina snuggled close to her older brother as she shivered, recovering from her fit. Grim thoughts rushed through her mind; scenarios of what would happen if she didn't get better soon. She nodded and sipped at the bottled water, it was cool and refreshing and felt good rushing down her burning throat. "I-I'm so sorry, Wendell. I'm sorry I'm sick..." Tears streamed down her cheeks and buried her face in his chest. She was guilty that she was such a heavy burden to her older brother, and sometimes wondered if things would be better for him if she weren't there...

Wendell winced; he hated hearing that apology; it made his stomach churn. “It’s not your fault, Catarina… It’s mine, okay? I need to try to find a way to make money or get some medicine or something for you,” he said, trying to take the blame. He knew it was neither of their faults that they were out there, but he hated his sick sister blaming herself for everything. From on top of the bridge, Wendell could hear a child laughing. Following after the giggles was a call from a parent. He sighed and stood up, shivering slightly at the wind brushing up against his bare skin. “I’m going to see if I can make more money, possibly get you some medicine or something… Please, eat a little bit and rest,” he said, reluctant to leave her here. Every day Wendell left her to get money, the more he dreaded the thought of the one day he might come back to see she was not with him anymore.

Catarina wanted to beg him to stay; she hated being left alone under the bridge. She was no stranger to the weirdo's that wondered the streets, offering her and her brother some sort of "deal" in exchange for food and shelter. Catarina didn't exactly know the details, but Wendell was always keen to refuse. She was sometimes angry that he wouldn't accept, but figured that he knew what was best, after all. She watched wearily as her brother disappeared from sight, then slumped into her blanket, trying to be as invisible as she could possibly be.

Wendell went back through the town, crossing his arms tight against his chest, shivering violently. He would risk getting a cold if it meant Catarina was warm. He looked around at all the people, observing what it was they were doing---or at least the other people who were living on the streets. Most were elderly or pregnant couples; nothing unusual. It was unusual for a case such as Catarina and Wendell which is probably why they attracted so much attention from the other homeless. Most of the homeless people in the town wrote poorly written signs on cardboard with half-dead sharpies always reading something about god or “will work for food”. They probably had just as much luck as Cat and Wendell did---none. He sighed in frustration and continued to walk through the town. As he crossed through, he entered the marketplace where most of the people spent their time, shopping, playing, and having fun. He looked at some of the stalls as he walked by, his stomach growling violently as the smell of fresh food was leaking into the air. He shoved his hands in his pocket and looked up when he heard the sound of a guitar. He used to play… but when he became homeless he couldn’t remember what happened to it or if he could even play anymore.

However, something seemed to turn on a light there and he walked towards the sound to see a street performer playing guitar and singing, people occasionally stopping to listen and throw some bills or coins into his guitar case. Wendell’s eyes glued onto the money for a while, observing how much the man had gotten. It was quite a lot, but this man also probably wasn’t homeless. He definitely didn’t dress like it. Just by seeing the amount of money the guy had made Wendell think about doing something similar…but what? Well, he could sing, as much as he hated to admit it, and he could sing well. He wished his sister could do just the same---but she was so sick and always coughing, he wasn’t sure if that was the best thing for her. Maybe…it would work though… It was worth a shot. Wendell moved away to his own little corner, clearing his throat a little. He was definitely stage frightened, and it was read all over his face. He never actually sang in front of other people, not that he remembered at the least. His heart was pounding in his chest as he watched how many people passed by him, giving him looks. He didn’t do anything for a solid ten minutes before he managed to muster up enough confidence to start singing;

“Yo, listen up,
This is my tragic story,
Just the breaking of my heart.
Check it.
I still can’t erase you, I keep thinking about you.
I want to see you so badly, I can’t sleep at night.
The sound of rain that thumps on the window of my heart.
The spot that you gave up, I miss you so much,
I can’t sleep at all at night.
Your backside leaving by avoiding the rain,
I can’t anything, again.
So every day I regret it, I’m sorry.
I pray, I want you to be back.
I can’t, I can’t touch you.
I can’t be patient because it’s a day that doesn’t exist.
The tears in my eyes flow down
Again, will I be able to forget you?
I can’t sleep at all at night
All night I only think about you, I can’t sleep.
Why did I turn on this love show?
The distance between you and I has gotten bigger,
I was the servant of this love
Why did we fight? Why were we like this?
Did you lose the sight? We loved each other.
Why am I frozen right now?
Dummy, what I need is you.
Your shoulders are limp.
Your sight, the ground collapses.
You hit my stuffy heart.
I can imagine you praying to the sky,
With your hands clasped together
Let’s forget everything, all the bad memories.
I know how you’ll react.
I can only say sorry.
I still can’t erase you, I keep thinking about you
I can’t sleep at all at night.
Oh nights like tonight, tonight, oh…
You and I, don’t let go of our string.
Don’t deny our r2π.
Come to me, it’s all okay now.
Again, again, let’s start everything again.
I can’t sleep at night.
The spot that you left, I miss you so much,
I can’t sleep at night….”

He was a simple business man; a people's spokesperson, bent on helping people with their public image. He had dealt with the nitty-gritty of celebrities and other famous people, such as public figure heads and politicians. So when he heard Wendell's interesting song, needless to say his interest was piqued. Adam listened to the entirety of the song before giving him a small applause. He didn't see a designated area for donations, but knew by the looks of the boy that he was indeed looking for handouts. "Impressive, for somebody of your stature." He said as he pulled out his wallet. "What's somebody with a talent like that doing begging for money?"

Wendell had his eyes shut the entire time he was singing, hoping that it would kick off some of the tension he had with stage fright. He felt that, when he opened his eyes, there was going to be no one there, no money, nothing, and he wasn’t going to be surprised. However, he was jolted back to reality when he heard applause. Slowly Wendell opened up his bright blue eyes and looked at the man that stood in front of him. Business men….how Wendell dislike them and their money. However, when he saw him pull out his wallet, his eyes gleamed selfishly. He didn’t want to be rude but he couldn’t help but stare at his wallet, wondering what kind of money he was going to pull out of him. He almost didn’t listen to what he was told. Wendell looked up at the business man, smiling sadly. “I don’t have a job, a home… Just me and my sick sister…” He said quietly, rubbing his arms a little. He cupped his hands over his nose and mouth to warm his nose up because he started to feel a cold coming on. “I never saw my singing as anything special… I mean---there are tons of singers out there…”

Adam nodded solemnly, listening to him as he pulled a ten out of his wallet. "A sick sister, eh? Can't say I've heard that one before." He tucked the wallet back into his pocket and handed the bill to Wendell. "Gotta admire originality." He chuckled a bit. Adam didn't really care if his story was true or not, it didn't make much of a difference.

He nodded again and stroked his chin in thought. "Well yes, anybody can sing. But not just anybody can truly SING, if you get me. And from what I can tell, you CAN truly sing. Have you ever had any singing lessons?"

Wendell was about to interrupt him, about to say he truly did have a sick sister. He knew though that no one was going to believe him unless they saw her themselves. Even then some might be a bit skeptical. Wendell looked at the bill, almost reluctant to take it, but did anyways. He looked at it in shock. Ten dollars? Is this guy serious? He looked back up to hear his compliment about his singing. He flushed a little and looked down. “W-well, thank you. I, uhm… I never got singing lessons…. Not that I remember anyways,” he said quietly, looking back at the bill and then the man. “I think you gave me the wrong bill, you probably meant to give me a one, but this is a ten…” he said, handing the dollar out to the man.

Adam chuckled and waved his hand at the bill. "No mistake. Where I cam from, we reward talent handsomely. And even if you don't have a sick sister, I'm sure you deserve it anyway." Adam stopped and thought a bit. He couldn't help but wonder if this guy was for real or not. He had worked with snobby teenagers who thought they could sing practically his entire adult life, yet here was a boy who could sing even better than all of them, begging for money and probably freezing to death. Indeed a diamond in the rough if he ever did see one. He could see the headlines now; "From rag to riches, the begger with the golden voice." Yeah, he liked that.

"Listen," He started slowly. "How about you and your 'sister' come to my place, and I can work out some appointments with my boss about getting you signed up with a short-term contract? It won't be much, at first. But I think you really have potential to go somewhere with your talent."

Wendell looked at the bill in disbelief, a smile soon on his face and tears in his eyes. “Thank you so much…” He carefully placed the bill in his pocket, making sure he wasn’t going to lose it. Now he definitely could get some medicine for his sister now. That’s when he heard something he thought he’d never hear.

“You… want me to sing… as a job? Really?!” He said, completely speechless. The biggest grin on his face ever---he could not wait to get back to his sister. “S-Sure! I would love to! Do you want to go meet my sister or just go to your place? If so, I’ll need directions to your place… I can’t read really well…” He said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. Since he never really remembered the education he had, he forgotten how to really read and write well. He was pretty embarrassed about it.

Adam shrugged. "I'll go with you to meet your sister, sure. It will be more convenient to just take you to my place. Where is she, by the way?" He said looking around, wondering if it was actually safe to leave a sick girl just sort of...lying around. Then he wondered if he was making a big mistake by following this stranger to a (probably) secluded area. But then again, the boy didn't try to lure him into any place, Adam offered to follow him. That made him feel a little better, but he couldn't help but feel a bit apprehensive.

He did feel a bit better looking into the face of the boy, as well. He sensed true kindness in his blue eyes. Adam's own green eyes shimmered brightly in a child-like way. He was a bit of a child still. He smiled warmly and stuck out his hand. "Well, if we are going to be doing business together, then let me introduce myself; my name is Adam Sniders."

Wendell smiled brightly. He was glad he was going to meet his sister. She probably would love to hear the news coming from him. That also would mean that he could also see if maybe Cat could try to sing something to prove she could sing as well. Then they could get the job, get money…. Wendell was in awe at the thought of it all. He looked at the man, who now introduced himself as Adam Sniders. He looked at the hand for a moment before reaching out with his gloved covered ones and shaking it. “My name is Wendell… and my sister’s name is Catarina. I don’t really recall our last names…. Catarina might remember. She remembers things a little better…” He said, pulling his hand back. “Come on, I’ll show you to my sister.”

The bridge wasn’t far off from the town. Only about ten or fifteen minutes of walking and they arrived. Wendell, rushed up ahead of Adam, eager to see his sister. “Catarina! I got amazing news!”

Adam nodded. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Wendell." He said before following him to the bridge. He was both glad and saddened by the small bundle of shivers that was a little girl under the bridge; he was glad that Wendell wasn't lying. But he was also sad that he wasn't lying--that meant that this little girl truly was ill. He was astounded by how much her face lit up when she saw her brother rushing towards her.

"Wendell!" Catarina exclaimed excitedly, a warm grin on her face. She reached her arms out to her older brother before she made eye contact with the strange man that was following Wendell. She suddenly receded into her blanket, worried that her brother had reluctantly taken a deal from one of those whack-jobs. She didn't know what he wanted her to do, but she already hated it.

Wendell was about to swoop her up in a hug but was shocked to see her suddenly vanish back in the blankets. He halted where he was and frowned. “Catarina…?” He asked quietly, kneeling down in front of her, trying to find her face in the blankets. He wasn’t sure if it was something he did or the fact that the brought someone back with him. Wendell pulled the ten dollars out of his pocket and pushed it into the blanket, hoping that Catarina would look at it and see it was a good sign. “This man just gave us money…. More than that… he’s pretty much our hero…” He leaned in to the pile of blankets. “Catarina… can you try to sing something? He wants to sign me into a contract… a job! We could actually get you a doctor…”

Catarina peeked out of her blanket at him, and at the money. Truly it was more money than she had ever seen, and that man had given it to them? To sing? That didn't sound so bad...
She poked her head out of her blanket, which made Adam chuckle warmly. "Sing...?" She asked, puzzled but at the same time relieved.
"Ah, she doesn't have to do that. She can come with us, even if she can't. If she's sick, it's probably best if she didn't try.."
But Catalina wanted to sing now. She had remembered a song from when her mother was still around, and before she knew it she was breathing the melody out in a soft whisper.
"Goodnight, my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark
And deep inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry
And if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabyes go on and on...
They never die
That's how you
And I
Will be."
She was able to sing the whole song before a coughing frenzy took hold of her.
Adam jumped in surprise, suddenly on his toes with worry.

Wendell jumped too at the sudden coughing frenzy she went into. He rubbed her back gently, frowning with guilt for making her sing. He looked for the water bottle and picked it up, waiting for her coughing frenzy to be over before handing it to her. He looked over to Adam with his big puppy eyes, happy that he could introduce him to his sister and prove that she is real, real ill, and could really sing too. “Can you stand Catarina? If you don’t think you can, I’ll carry you,” he said, smiling a little to his sister. Then he returned his attention to Adam. "Well.... this is my sister..." He said, smiling a little sadly. "And that song.... That song was a lullabye our mother use to sing to her."

Catarina took the bottle in her shaky hands and took a bit swig of water before holding out her arms for him, wanting to be carried. But then she remembered something and looked around, picking up the tiny pizza she had saved for him while he was away. She smiled at him and put it in his hand before wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

Adam smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Catarina. My name is Adam, and I'm going to take you two someplace warm, ok? And we can get something to eat there, too."
Catarina smiled widely and nodded. Warm was nice; the fire that Wendell had built before he left had died a little while ago, and the embers had blown away in the wind. She wanted to kiss him; she finally felt like they were being rescued. Then she remembered something and looked to her brother. "Wendell, how will Mommy and Daddy find us?!"

Back
Top Bottom