Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What it takes (Candira and Jugger)

"I guess I did...seeing as how I tasted blood when I was tonguing you..." He rubbed the back of his head. "Eh...its alright though. I'm glad I was your first though. At least I'm someone you could trust. Not like most other men nowadays who don't even wear protection for random skanks...not that I do it with any random woman I come across." He looked to her with a small smile. "I won't kill you tomorrow. You've given your body to me...though unintentionally...but I'll more than likely not kill you tomorrow. I might just kill the agents and force them to bring me inside the mansion to kill that son of a bitch."

Marlowe didn't really think that he was going to kill her, but apparently, he needed to say it. And throw in a "more than likely" just to cover his bases. So things hadn't really changed much. But she listened to him and he seemed to care about her at least a little...she thought. she looked him right in the eye and kissed him softly. "Even if you do kill him it won't solve the problem...but I guess if you're not sticking around, that won't matter..." she turned her sore body to face him and watched him. "Please, be careful. No matter what you decide."

He kissed her back when she kissed him gently. When she pulled away and warned him of the consequences of his choices, he simply nodded to her. "I will Marlowe. I will." He leaned over and laid down beside her, pulling her down gently to lay on top of him, his lips going back to hers to kiss her gently and passionately. Even if he was leaving...He wanted to show her all the care he truly had for her. All the care he could have given her...if he wasn't persuaded to leave town over a simple mistake, ruining his life and basing his actions based on pure money. He continued to kiss her gently until he felt the sun rise and a beam of light hit his shoulder. Apparently they woke up close to morning when they had their little sex session. "Morning already...? Ah well..." He said before getting up gently. "Well...I'll be back soon Marlowe." He gave her a simple smile and left her to go to the 'meeting'.

Caroline let him pull her on top of him, surprised when he kissed her like this. She could feel the passion in his tender kiss and she returned it, wanting for him to know that she still cared about him. She always had... Before she knew it, it was sunrise and he was still kissing her. She didn't want him to leave, but there was nothing she could say to stop him. So she sat up in bed as he got up after moving her to the side. And then, as if he was just going to take a shower, he left her there. "Good luck, Darian." With that, she lay back down and buried her head in her pillow for a long moment.

No matter how hard she tried, she wouldn't get to sleep, so she sat up and changed her sheets, planning to wash the others later. She threw her clothes in the hamper and showered before dressing in her white coat and leather outfit again. She dried her hair and stared at her reflection for a long moment before she took her stetson from a hook on the wall and left her room to find out what was going on.

Hours passed and there was no sign of Darian. No word around town about any gunshots were floating around either. It would be as if he was missing...until he came through the front door of the bar, pistol in his hand, glasses on his eyes. He walked slowly to the counter...waiting for Caroline. He gripped his pistol's handle hard, trying to fight the urge not to kill. It hadn't gone so good...No...He looked down to the briefcase he had brought in. An up-front pay...'Am I really going to do it? After I just told her? I just told her I wouldn't kill her...but here I am with ten thousand dollars paid up front just to kill her...with another twenty thousand to come...Am I really going to kill her for money...?' Back then, this amount of money was probably near three million dollars in worth possibly. He couldn't believe he had so much already...He tried to push the thoughts out of his head. He had to do it...He was a merc...He got paid, so he had to do it...Right...?

She waited all day for some sign or news of Darian. She wondered what was taking him so long and worried about his safety--wondered if he was alive or not. She paced, distractedly serving drinks, though no one corrected her orders--they just sort of switched with whomever had what they wanted. They'd never seen her so out of it before...it was a little frightening.

But rather than stay on the scene, Marlowe left the bar, knowing that it would do her little good to stay when she was just messing things up. She went to the restaurant and ordered right away, to the surprise of the waiter. He brought the food out as soon as it was finished, thinking that something must be wrong for her to be so straight forward on a visit. She merely ate a delicious meal and left a good tip. When she returned to her bar, Darian was there...and so was a briefcase. She'd seen one like it before...

Uneasy, she felt as though she knew he had done something that she wasn't sure she could forgive. "Well...what happened?" she asked, standing in the doorway, seeing the gun in his hand.

Remaining silent as she asked what happened, he only sighed and pressed the barrel of the gun against his head, tapping it like he was thinking something before he lowered his hand and looked to her. "For you...I'll give you a ten second head start to run away..." He stood up and turned to face her, the gun pointed at her. "I'll give you ten seconds to run...if I don't find you in twenty four hours, the deal's off and you'll be considered run out of town at least, giving me this ten grand..." He bit his lip. "They paid me off with thirty thousand dollars...to kill you...I've never had anything over one thousand before...this...this is just enough for me to pay off my debt..." 'The debt that you caused...' Is what he thought in the back of his mind, his greed trying to persuade him to make it easier to kill her...though his hand was shaking as he pointed the gun at her.

She looked at him and shook her head. This really was the worst thing that she could have imagined happening. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. She looked around her and saw no meaning left. Her father had died to make a better life for this town and no one had lifted a finger to help him until he was dead. She'd risked a great deal to protect people here and they wouldn't even help her when someone started a brawl. There was no place for her.

And now, Darian turned against her. "Turns out I can't trust you after all," she said with a sigh. "Well, why wait? We both know you'll find me. Kill me. Just make sure that bastard doesn't get the pleasure of having my body."

That said she stood up straight and watched him. The patrons of the bar and her staff were stunned. What had happened to their fearless, fiery boss? Little did they know they were the reason for her giving up. Along with, of course, the man who'd reminded her that she loved him and then used her for what he wanted. "Just do it if it gets you the money. Then leave and never come back."

The gun shook even more in his hands so that it was now visibly seen. He bit his lip and tried to aim at her, but he found it difficult to pull the trigger. He didn't know why he couldn't do it. Was it because she was too important in his life? That most of the events that happened to him were because of her making him leave the town, leading up to one thing or another? She was the reason his life was so bad...why he was in debt...yet he couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger. Memories of the night before flooded his mind...moreover them kissing...rather than the sex...It all stayed on one memory...when he was venting to her and she kissed him. His mind went blank and one simple move ended it all. He dropped the gun and fell back in the chair, trying to play it off cool. "Bleh...Who needs the money..." He said weakly, not looking at her. He kicked the briefcase over to her. "You use it for this crappy bar so you don't have to water down these fucking drinks."

Everyone in the bar was stunned, including Marlowe. He'd shaken, but she thought for sure that he'd end up doing it. But he was really choosing her over that money. He dropped the gun, and kicked the case to her, telling her to use it. She walked slowly toward him and stopped right in front of him before punching him at least twice as hard as she had the night he'd first revealed himself to her. She glared at him with so much hurt and confusion in her uses. And then she kissed him, tears running down her face. Why did they both have to be so stupid? Because they really were.

She was stupid for liking him so much, and because of what she'd done so long ago...and he was...well look at what he'd done.

Feeling the punch to the chest, he gasped slightly, glasses falling off from the force of the punch and he probably would have fallen over if she had not begun to kiss him suddenly. He was suffocating, but he endured it long enough to return the kiss to her before pulling away, breathing heavily. "Damn you punch harder than any man I know..." He murmured to her. He began to rub his chest. "Guess I deserve it anyway. Well now what? When they find you ain't dead, the bastard's gonna send hitmen after both of our asses, Marlowe."

"Which is why you're an idiot!" she said, panting as she glared at him. She didn't know whether to finish kicking his ass or kiss him again. "I guess the only thing to do is take care of the problem here...But you and I aren't enough, and frankly, I don't know if I have it in me." She sighed and went behind the counter for a hard shot of whiskey. "Well, Darian...what made you change your mind?"

The people in the bar began to talk amongst themselves. They couldn't let Marlowe do this alone...she'd never survive. And if a stranger could stand up to the bastards in town...well, altogether there were more of them, than there were of the men who were "running" the town. And they didn't have family outside of the town--they were locals. They decided to start to organize themselves. One of the man came forward.

"Don't you worry, Marlowe. We're on your side. We're gonna help you."

Darian just pointed to the man. "There's about fourteen guys right off the bat. See?" He said shrugging. "We were alright with just the two of us. You still don't know how good I am when it comes to stealthy killing babe." He said with a shrug, ignoring her question as to why he had changed his mind. Getting up, he picked up the briefcase and put it on the counter and opened it. "Use this money for your bar when this is over with. This is for you. Not for me." He shook his head. "I'll take the bounty on the guy's head." Even though it was only 500 dollars compared to the thirty thousand he could have gotten.

"Why did they want me anyway?" she asked, letting him open the suitcase. "I'll take half. You keep the other or I won't take any of it," she said, staring at him, wanting him to answer at least some of her questions. And she wanted to understand what was going through his head.

"She wanted you gone cause they knew that you were the 'pride of the town' or some shit that they said. They knew that once you were out of the picture, the town would completely lose its vigor and give in or just leave. It would be just that little of a chance of a rebellion, seeing as how there are so few members in the gang and so many in the town...though the few members are very dangerous anyway. Rebellion would probably be the suicide of the town if we attacked the mansion directly."

Sighing, she looked at him and tilted her head. "So what do you suggest, Darian? You've been there after all." She hadn't by any means forgotten that he never took money without completing a job according to his little code. She would bring that up later. As of now, however, she watched his face, listening for a strategy.

"I don't know. I could just go in there alone and confront the boss, saying I had killed you and then take him out then and there. Though I don't know what kind of firepower the guy has. Or even if I'll have any cover to fall back to." He sighed. "I'll figure something out. Lets just try and get some rest before we talk about a plan."

"Okay. Is there anything I can get you while you're down here, or would you like to just go rest in your room?" She asked, curious as to his state of mind at he moment. A strategy was definitely something they were going to need, and despite his earlier statement of their only being 14 men and him only needing her, she had a feeling they'd need all the help they could get.

Darian shrugged. "I dunno...I don't really care..." He began to rub his eyes and sigh as he seemed to be annoyed and in deep thought. "I'm...just gonna go rest up or something...really not in the mood to be talking about any of this." Closing up the briefcase, he picked it up and began to walk up to Marlowe's room and went inside. Placing the suitcase down, he laid on the bed and began to grumble as he began to play with his mechanical arm. The small whirring of sounds of the trigger finger and the movement of the other fingers filled the room as he seemed to stay in the state he was, without any success of sleep.

After a few minutes, Marlowe headed up to join him--still too distracted to be of much use. She climbed the stairs and wondered why he'd decided to spare her after all. She wouldn't ask. At the moment, she just wanted to talk to him. Or rest. She could rest. She was surprised to find him in her room again. "Hey, there, stranger. I'd ask if you want company, but it's my room, so too bad if you don't." She smiled softly and took off her stetson, combing her hair before she came to sit on the edge of her bed. She was taking off her boots and would be heading in for a bath soon. "Do you want some company?" she asked, turning to look over her shoulder at him.

Darian shrugged. "Yeah sure...Its your room after all." He said before looking to her with a small frown on his face. "I don't know what to do. I just...broke the code, my personal code...And for what? You? Well...I know that it was the right thing to do...and I really am glad I did because I hope you know I care for you...but there's still some part of me that wants the other twenty grand..." He shook his head and sat up. "Maybe I can steal it from the asshole when we murder him...I dunno...I'm low enough to steal from my kill." He looked to her with a frown. "Gah...I guess I'm horrible with speeches like this, trying to just vent or whatever about the present rather than the past. I hope I didn't offend ya or somethin, Marlowe."

He had offended her a little at the beginning. But he made up for it by the end. She sighed and got up, walking around to him and sitting on the edge of the bed where he was. She ran her fingers through his hair and looked down at his face. "You know...I can't really figure you out. I never really could," she said with a chuckle. "When we were younger, I always got so confused when I was around you because I could never tell what you were going to do next...and some of the things...I don't know why you did them. But I always really liked you. Of course, that just made the teasing you did worse for me."

She looked at him now, and he was even more of a mystery. "I know that what I said to you that day was wrong. And I hope you know, I'm really sorry. I never wanted you to leave...not really. I told myself I did because it felt wrong to want you to stay after you killed my brother. But I know you didn't mean it." She looked down at him.

"There's so much I don't understand about you. But I want you to know that I know you care about me in some way or another. And I want you to know that I still care about you...Even if I do punch you. You kind of deserve it." She grinned and then leaned down and kissed him softly. "I don't know how important that code was to you, but thank you for breaking it for me."

He sighed and thought it over after she kissed him. "I just hope the nightmares are over..." He murmured as he laid back again. "At least once a week since that day...I've always had nightmares of that day...Just...remembering it all...Killing your brother...you yelling that you hated me...all the way up to me getting shot in the arm and having to get it replaced...I just hope I don't have to worry about the nightmares anymore." He sighed. "Though...I have to wonder if its those nightmares that are really keeping me going...to right the wrongs I've done in my life...or some shit." He shrugged. "Whatever though...Its all in the past and apparently I've made up for it...I hope anyway."

Marlowe watched him as he thought it over out loud. "You made it up to me," she said with a kiss. "I'm going to take a bath. If you want to talk, just come in and do it." That said, she pinned her hair up and then walked into the bathroom, taking off her clothes as she went. At this point, she didn't really care if he saw her. It wasn't as though he hadn't already had her. She sat in her bath and soaked for a little bit, relaxing and humming as she cleaned herself.

Darian sighed as he stayed on the bed for a moment, listening to Marlowe as she hummed her tune. It somewhat soothed him, and relaxed him...eventually giving him enough motivation to just get off the bed. Walking into the bathroom, he closed the door behind him as he looked to her, smiling. "May I join you?" He began to strip himself of his clothes as he looked at her. Once he was naked, he crawled into the bathtub with her, sitting behind her with her between his legs and pulling her back to lean against his body, his head on her head as he just relaxed, rather than had sex with her at this point.

Back
Top Bottom