Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Anyone up for a little smexy D&D? (3.5/PF) [Currently recruiting]

Which version of D&D are you most familiar with?

• 2nd Edition or older

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 3rd

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 4th

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I haven't played any yet, but I'd like to learn.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Scion-of-Stars

Planetoid
[Anyone interested in playing should go here.]

I'm more interested in playing a character myself, but if it comes to it I suppose I'd be willing to DM temporarily (if we decided to pass the DMing role around). I'm not sure if anyone on here is actually into system games, but if three+ people besides myself are down, then I'm sure we can make it work.

Basically what I have in mind is: a group of adventurers exploring the world together, dueling with monsters and savages, trying to further their own goals, etc (the usual). But unlike a typical, linear game of D&D, the heroes/heroines will occasionally bite off more than they can chew and find themselves compromised (lewdly) by horny monsters, perverted wizards, clothing-melting traps, yada yada. Needless to say it would involve a lot of non-consensual aspects. (Anyone play Lightning Warrior Raidy?)

I would probably play a female character, and it would be nice to have a creative and sadistic DM. Anyway, just throwing it out there to see if there's interest. If you have any questions then ask away.

Kay'thx. :D
Oh, and BTW. Does Unarmed Swordsage and Battle Dancer unarmed strike progression stack (giving me unarmed strike like a 3rd level Monk)?
Because if yes it wouldn't be a big waste to take another level of Swordsage later.
If not then there's no point in taking Unarmed Swordsage, so I'll take normal Swordsage.

Hm. There's an issue. I was looking for RAW explanation, but couldn't find it.
Some people say that Monk AC bonus and Swordsage AC bonus stack. I personally would rule that it doesn't, by RAW. Now, do Swordsage AC bonus stack with Battle Dancers AC bonus? It's the same feature but uses a different ability, namely Cha. I'd say it stacks, but you're the DM here, so I'm asking what is your ruling.

From what I see on google, you get both but never at the same time. If you are unarmored, you get the bonus from Monk, if you wear light armor you get it from swordsage because swordsage doesn't say "light or no armor" it only says "light armor".

Edit: but apparently the book that swordsage is taken from is considered a bit subpar as a whole in its implementation(quite a few holes in it). If a DM rules that it does stack, your AC probably still wouldn't be at the same level as a pure swordsage with appropriate armor, unless you invest in an item that gives you +4 WIS.

Lyra said:
From what I see on google, you get both but never at the same time. If you are unarmored, you get the bonus from Monk, if you wear light armor you get it from swordsage because swordsage doesn't say "light or no armor" it only says "light armor".

Although it's been stated by an official from WoTC that it was their intention that Swordsages get their wis to AC with or without light armor. It's not in the official errata, but at least we know that the RAW in this case is not what it was supposed to be (just like the bit about Swordsages getting 6x skill points at first level instead of 4x).

Other than that it's probably a DM thing; I'm not familiar with the Battle Dancer. Of course, though if the bonuses are the same type they never stack (except dodge bonuses, untyped, and specific exceptions).

Eh. I'll be nice and let them stack. But honestly, you'd probably be better just going with the normal swordsage armor+wis option.

Here's my character sheet sans equipment. I really hate equipment shopping. lol

In fact, I would love you forever if you could just give me an equipment package appropriate for 5th level and whatever gold you see fit to let me keep out of the starting gold.

I'll get started on the backstory shortly.

My characters pic (one of many, but probably the main one):
catgirlw.jpg

BTW, guys and girls. (character) PICS or GTFO! :p

Lyra said:

'Cause mad scientists, that's why. And not just any mad scientists, SEX mad scientists. I can just imagine giant steam-powered fuck machines.
Scion-of-Stars said:
Anarchy_Kanya said:
My characters pic

Hmm, that one's not working for me either; which part of the url do we get rid of this time? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can't figure it out...

Just send us a link to the gelbooru page itself?

Actually I would make it water powered using two... items whose name eludes me. They're basically small portals where if you stick something in one it pops out the other? Anyway you align them so one is over the other and you poor water into the bottom ring so it creates a perpetual waterfall. Then stick a water wheel between them.

Something similar to This

I think they're called ring gates.

Hm. If this game is more about smexing and less about mechanics (which I hope it is) then could I recommend giving us something like +1 or +2 free LA? It opens lots of cool concepts (did I read right that there's a drow in the party?) and won't penalize us for pursuing them despite sub-parness. Many of us have this mentality that we have to make the best character (stats-wise) even when we are assured that it's not needed. I personally don't mind sacrificing 1 class level to play a sexy catgirl and the person that choose to play a drow char. probably too. But some other player also could want to play a drow but his fear of becoming too weak is restricting him. If I would want to DM a game that is supposed to concentrate on RPing I would allow my players to take stronger races and better classes, with the mindset "Where's the harm?"
Of course it's all up to the DM, but that's just what I think.
As an example how a free +2 LA would help me even though I don't really need it:
Firstly I would have all 5 class levels which would help elevate some of my sub-optimal choices (like going extremely MAD for fluff reasons).
Secondly it would allow me to add some cool template (Feral maybe) or a homebrewed ability that would spice up my character fluff-wise.

Anarchy_Kanya said:
Hm. If this game is more about smexing and less about mechanics (which I hope it is) then could I recommend giving us something like +1 or +2 free LA? It opens lots of cool concepts (did I read right that there's a drow in the party?) and won't penalize us for pursuing them despite sub-parness. Many of us have this mentality that we have to make the best character (stats-wise) even when we are assured that it's not needed. I personally don't mind sacrificing 1 class level to play a sexy catgirl and the person that choose to play a drow char. probably too. But some other player also could want to play a drow but his fear of becoming too weak is restricting him. If I would want to DM a game that is supposed to concentrate on RPing I would allow my players to take stronger races and better classes, with the mindset "Where's the harm?"
Of course it's all up to the DM, but that's just what I think.
As an example how a free +2 LA would help me even though I don't really need it:
Firstly I would have all 5 class levels which would help elevate some of my sub-optimal choices (like going extremely MAD for fluff reasons).
Secondly it would allow me to add some cool template (Feral maybe) or a homebrewed ability that would spice up my character fluff-wise.

It's true that we seem to have a concentration of the exotic in our party (Hoshimi, my character, is half-vampire, and we have a tiefling, catgirl of some sort, and a drow), so it would make some sense, but on the other hand, eliminating penalties up to +2 would disturb party balance, in the sense that people who don't want to play something weird, or who want to play a +1 LA something-weird or a lesser version of their race, would get shortchanged mechanics-wise.

Personally I have the opposite reaction: when I get to play in an RP/story oriented game, I think of exactly the character I want to play, let mechanics come second, and more-or-less brush optimization under the rug ("What's the harm in playing a Commoner?", is how I think.) Granted, it's at the DM's discretion, and I'm fine either way.

but on the other hand, eliminating penalties up to +2 would disturb party balance, in the sense that people who don't want to play something weird, or who want to play a +1 LA something-weird or a lesser version of their race, would get shortchanged mechanics-wise.
That's why I mentioned a homebrew ability/power/race/template. ;)

I think of exactly the character I want to play, let mechanics come second
That's exactly what I did. Not one mechanical part of my character contradicts the fluff that I came up with way before I started thinking on the crunch. I did NO concessions. And yet I managed to optimize the PC, making EVERY fluff choice not underpowered. :D
Optimization is useful, even in RP heavy games (excluding freeform of course).

so I have just read the entire thread, and have a few questions and comments.

Comments:
i have played D&D all of it 1st ed- 4th. I have been playing now for almost 12 years, so you could say i know the rules inside (And how to break them)

Pathfinder is a product of Paizo it is a direct branch from 3.5 it is compatible with all core rules and supplemental rule books for 3.5 D&D. I should know, I was part of the few people that played it when they started it.

Questions:
1. Are you still in need of a DM
2. What lvl is the campaign setting, it looks to be 5th

Right now, I'm the DM. I wouldn't mind getting a co-DM, though. As for the campaign details, you can find the basic write up Here. I'm still working on the long-term plot, but I've got a lot of ideas.

And yes, I'm aware of pathfinder, I've got all it's core books, and pathfinder material is available for players on request. However, I'm more familiar with plain 3.5, so we're mostly using that.

Benen

Who you calling squishy. but as for being a co-DM i would be more than happy to assisst. i can tell you this... I can be a bastard sometimes, but in the end the reward is worth the hell i put people through.

Back
Top Bottom